[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 57 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

Previous thread >>10025996

Because the old thread hit sage a while ago.
>>
>>10056884
>meant to call thread Happy Edition when I realised the people in pic were celebrating, not yelling
>forgot to change name
>tfw now we are shouty thread instead of wholesome thread
>>
>>10056887
it was always a shouty thread anon
>>
>>10056896
Sad but true. Guess it was meant to be.
>>
Some newfag made this shitty thread >>10056858 but it got me thinking about my own reffing and running experiences. Wondering if we have any other game runners here.
>Have you ever run or help run a larp? If so, what sort and in what country/vague area?
>How did you get started?
>What part was easiest or most fun to do?
>What was hardest? What was a personal hurdle you had to get over?
>Did your players and crew think you did or are doing a good job?
>Honestly, are you good at running games? What bit are you best at?
>What advice would you give to a larper who is considering joining a pre-existing ref team or writing their own game?
>>
>>10056887
HEY C'MON ANON
PlEASE DON'T BE SAD
WE COULD SHOUT WHOLESOME THINGS ABOUT HOW HAPPY WE ARE

I GENUINELY LOVE YOU AND HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY
>>
File: 1513567968069.jpg (303 KB, 1152x2048)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>10056887
Well, I could always dump my "babes in armour" folder here and have the thread deleted by mods, then you could make a holiday edition instead?

I don't deserve a ban free life anyway.
>>
>>10056918
THANK YOU ANON, I LOVE YOU TOO AND HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT DAY
>>
File: 3709912-jhbnkjh.gif (1008 KB, 500x206)
1008 KB
1008 KB GIF
People who focus or do the 'theatrical fighting'/showfighting, where do you take inspiration for moves or how do you train to be better in that aspect?
>>
File: 1320213404559.png (129 KB, 180x300)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>10057268
>>10056918
>>
>>10057166
that won't get you banned otherwise most of us would have been banned ages ago
>>
I went to a really good game last weekend and my feels still haven't recovered.
>>
>>10057491
Not talking about my "dames in armour" folder here mate :^)
>>
>>10057874
I'm not sure your folder would have armor in it
>>
>>10058381
Ohh but it does
>>
>>10056884
Is anyone here familiar with being a part of the cast of a renaissance faire or LARP? I have the opportunity and I am so interested but I have found there is almost no information about this. Lots of information of visiting or picking a character etc but nothing about being a part of the cast the first time, how to prepare, etc. PLEASE HALP!
>>
>>10058661
First of all, talk to your orgs.They'll (or should be) more than willing to help with that!
Otherwise, it kind of depends on the Renfaire/LARP and your role in it. Wanna tell us about the one you wanna join to?

>>10057300
Check out the Blood&Iron's "Flashy HEMA techniques" series. I don't know many movies or games that'll help though, maybe Soul Calibur if you wanna go extra weeb
>>
>>10058663
Yes, it is a faire that is based around the 15th century. A large number of the group that makes up the cast is also the cast of different LARP events around my area, so if you get in with them, then you can basically be a part of any of those events. My spouse and I became friends with several cast members and they introduced us to the group. Everyone was so welcoming and was asking us to audition for the cast next year because we all got along so well. But to be completely honest. I don't want to bother them with asking about all the details of being on the cast. I feel like it is my responsibility to be prepared if that makes sense.
>>
>>10058675
It does make sense, I can understand your worries. However, do keep in mind that letting them explain that stuff to you could be fun for them as well, let alone a minor bonding experience of some sort. Also, do keep in mind that even if it WAS uncomfortable for them (Which I doubt), it's a thousand times better than having to explain you what to do on site, when there's the pressure of work etc. I doubt anyone assumes you'll just know everything yourself by the first time.
If you want to feel like you did your best to prevent the oh-so-inconvenient matter, make a list of questions in advance and, assuming you're friends with them on some level now, make it seem pretty casual, don't over-apologize it, and thank them for their time. You can bring up the fact you're nervous, so they'll emphasize you. Like, they've all started knowing nothing, so they'll understand you.

Last, but not least - Make sure you actually enjoy the process. It's what we're here for.
>>
>>10058706
This was great advice. Thank you! It really helped me.
>>
>>10058899
<3
Sure thing anon
We are in the happy wholesome edition, after all
>>
So, what are people's current projects for off-season?
I'm working on a brigandine and pleated gown myself
>>
>>10060729
I had cut some cheap repro kote in half and made han kote and suneate out of them. They have been lacquered gold and look much better than before. That aside i have also sewn fur to my tosei gusoku to dress it up a bit and that also turned out well.
>>
>get told to stop bandaging up an arm and just tap the shoulder for 'interaction' when using the first aid skill like everyone else does because it's "annoying"
fuck american larps
>>
>>10061857
Damn, they'd hate my needle and thread surgical healing
>>
>>10060729
Overhauling my whole harness. I haven't fought in almost a whole year, and everything is going to need to need some TLC.

>>10060857
10/10 weeb kit. Good on you for doing the proper maille pattern too. Did they already have the embossing?

>>10061857
The fuck? Which game? If you're not using magic, having bloody bandage and such is awesome, immersive rep prop.
>>
What's the best way to maintain steel plate and keep it rust free? I'm a larper so it doesn't have to be period-appropriate, I don't care for shiny or mirror finishes, I just feel like my current strategy isn't as effective as it could be.
>bonus points for products I can get in the UK
>>
>>10062087
Paste wax. Like you'd use for a car.
>>
>>10062087
Or paint.
>>
>>10060729
Cleaning out my closet first hand, gonna move next year and I wont have room for a whole closet of larping props. Got a bunch of kettles, copper pots, worn bags, gambesons that are to small.

So far I've managed to sell zero items.

Otherwise I have a new leather bag project and some finishing touches that needs to be made on my new jacket. Got a bunch of comments on my civilian gear this year so I've got some motivation to go all out /his/ on that set.
>>
>>10062450
If you haven't sold anything after a while, honestly I just have to assume you're just asking too much for it. Larpers will buy any old junk if it's cheap enough.
>>
>>10062478
The €3 copper kettle I put up didn't even get any interest.

And admittedly, I didn't put up the unusable stuff there. The bags are going in the garbage.

I think december is a crap time to sell larp stuff, unless its something that is suitable for gifting away. Better wait for february when people have money/time and start prepping for the season.
>>
>>10062427
Not that Anon, but I feel like a tard for not thinking of that.
>>
>>10061857
Every time I encounter a local LARPscene drama, which we really have plenty of, I stop and remind myself that at least we're not the American scene.

How come all those who are upset by the low standard gather to raise their own game?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482631748987.jpg (86 KB, 540x960)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Merry Christmas you nerds!

>>10062623
Don't be hard on yourself. Most people expect some crazy or expensive treatment and tend to overlook the obvious.

>>10063759
We have. We get labeled elitists and get shit-talked because we're "too hardcore" and "non-inclusive".
>>
What's the best larp you went to this year or an awesome moment from a good one?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1513369992859.jpg (171 KB, 1000x1500)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>10063969
Been so busy with work, I haven't been to a LARP or historic event all year :(
>>
>>10063969
drachenfest and the best moment from it was the midnight """training exercise""" at the triumvirate camp I think? (or maybe it was silver, dunno, it was dark)

Also got a new book for christmas and already planning my next LK kit, though not sure when will I have the money to actually buy the materials
>>
>>10063969
Got to shout defiance into a big bad's face, which got cheers from a crowd, before I was slain, which sparked a new fighting spirit among the players.
>>
>>10063970
but don't you work at a living history museum sort of place?
>>
>>10063969
Not all that great of a story when written down, but it was super intense in the heat of the moment. Also by far the most emotional piece of roleplaying I ever did:
>About a month ago
>Thirty-player larp, about four hours long
>Setting is a modern nursing home, characters are all written and assigned by the ST's, most characters are elderly
>I say most, because there's a few sorry players that play the staff of the nursing home
>Including me: the replacement head nurse, since the old one quit about a week ago
>Only twenty-something years old, idealistic, and wholly unprepared for all the shit that laid ahead of me

>About three hours in, the character had a complete mental breakdown.
>In those last three hours, he had had trouble with upper management (budget cuts), angry patients (medicine shortage), the police (a patient that got violent), the national intelligence agency (one of the patients was "ex"-mafia), a foreign nursing home (they accidentally sent the wrong patient over), <some inspection agency I can't translate> (a dozen health and safety complaints), and patients breaking into his office (to look into the financial records I'd have shown them had they just asked).
>He had been forced to fight off a violent patient twice, and had had his competence questioned about a dozen times more.
>The last time that happened, I just sat down on the floor and started sobbing to myself.
Of course, it got even worse.

<cont.>
>>
>>10064031
>Having picked myself up, I walked back into the main room, only to see the guy from <inspection agency> trying to create an honest-to-god rebellion among the elderly
>Fortunately, even after all that went down, the patients were still on the side of the staff
>I was too tired to deal with this shit again
>I walked into the back of the crowd, ducked a bit, and shouted "disgraceful!"
>Ripples of dissatisfaction surged through the crowd, which ended with people shouting "get him!" and "deck him!", rushing forward as fast as crippled elderly people can
>Of course, I rushed forward to calm down the mob I had just created and pretend I wanted to stop them
>I shouted "Nobody is getting decked here!"
Of course, that was the exact moment one of the characters had a heart attack.

<cont.>
>>
>>10064034
>For a brief moment everyone is stunned
>Everyone but me, that is, because I actually know how to perform reanimation OoC
>I start ordering everyone around according to genuine procedure
>One staff member is calling emergency services
>Another is running to get a defibrillator
>Three more are calming down the other patients and holding them at a distance
>I'm on the floor with the unconscious patient, performing chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth as best as I can without it becoming too awkward for the player laying there
>The staff member comes running back with two plug boxes plugged into each other (God knows where he got those from)
>Uses it as an AED to administers shocks, takes over reanimation
>We take turns reanimating until emergency services arrive, take over, and ultimately proclaim him dead
>I slump down and start crying
>Two staff members drag me up and carry me off

It was by far the most intense roleplaying I was ever involved in, and at that moment, I have to admit the crying wasn't only acting. It's seriously intense to have someone die on you like that, even after you did all you can to save them.

It also was really damn good practice, should I ever have to reanimate someone in real life. No training truly compares you for something like that, but this was as close as it's going to get.

I've got another story from that larp (a bit shorter), if anyone's interested.
>>
>>10063964
I sure hope that doesn't stop you!

>>10063977
I was almost certain you had a woman.
And that they don't do that kind of stuff in Drachenfest.

>>10063969
Best one is probably a Polish LARP-Festival.
It's the second year I play my character, who got gained the reputation of a very skilled swordsman (Mostly due to me spending way too much time on swordfight training, and some opportunities to show it). So I decided that to pass time, I'll stay in the game's arena whenever I'm bored and offer combat lessons. It fits the character and all, so why not? They were free, but some still bought me a beer or payed with in-game currency and such. Some new guy got pretty enthusiastic about the whole deal, constantly asking me for more training and telling me proud tales of how he survived attacks and riots using what I taught him, whenever he saw me out of the arena.

At some point, while I was teaching a small group, this huge dude with a sword and strange kit passed through the arena. Like I do with most people, I kindly offered him to join us for a lesson/sparring.
He just looked at me straight in the eye and said "I'll kill you."
Being the cowardly little shit that I am, I came up with a plan: I'll let enthusiasm-boy fight him first. If I see he's some sort of undefeatable prodigy, I'll leave him be unless he pursues combat with me. If he's okay-ish but isn't Arthur Dayne incarnate, I'll duel him myself, stab the ego out of him and then offer him some tips in the kindest way possible.
So the two start the fight, while I go back to teaching the rest of the group. I notice that he fights weird and kind of wrong, so I just tell myself I'll see what's up in like 30 seconds or so. And when I did,
The guy I was teaching knocked the sword out of his hand, pointed his own sword at the big guy's chest, and takes two steps back.
And in this point I saw on enthusiasmboy's that this moment made his game, just like it did mine.
>>
>>10063988
He does. I'm guessing he doesn't count it because it's work.
>>
>>10064062
>I was almost certain you had a woman.
>And that they don't do that kind of stuff in Drachenfest.
I give you points for creativity but it was a midnight siege
>>
>>10064039
This LARP sounds really fucking awesome, and pal you sound like a great player with a good story. What was it called and who organised it?
>>
>>10064415
Names aren't going to tell you much, I'm afraid. The roleplaying association of my university has one-shot larps twice a year. Next time, it's going to be something completely different again, with different ST's too.
>>
File: 14th century kit.jpg (93 KB, 564x846)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
i'm curious, What is the absolute best Garb (or armor) you've ever seen! Online, In pictures, or in person! It could be of any class, be it elven, monster, historical or high fantasy! Nothing sup-par! Only Kits you think could actually be in an A-list movie, or kits which took massive amounts of time and dedication.

Pictures would be preferred, but descriptions are welcome too!
(here's a photo of one of the best I've run across!)
>>
File: AllaFantica.jpg (72 KB, 564x848)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>10065513
But that's like... a pretty good 13th maybe early 14th kit? Is this really "the best' category?
>>
File: Chaos 3.jpg (91 KB, 435x651)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>10065513
>>
>>10062450
post them here maybe? all the lolitas post their stuff for sale on here, I don't see why larp stuff couldn't be sold in the larp thread (as long as it stays within reasonable bounds)

I'm in a weird country where larp and boffer fighting have split from each other almost completely, so this isn't maybe 100% relevant to larp thread, but I went to my first proper boffer training some weeks ago and it was *so* much fun, I've been practically jumping up and down waiting for the next time. I'll probably go to an event in the summer, so I'll come here to hype about costumes and ask about suitable helmets before that!!
>>
File: Projekt14.jpg (67 KB, 564x790)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>10065588
Isn't that in most countries which aren't the USA?
>>
>>10065540
Thats Dr.Joe Metz, a very respected member of the whole american medieval reenactment scene.
>>
>>10065513
I have pic of several wonderful stuff and seen a lot too, but this couple I've actually met in the LKL, seen the kit in person and ALSO have a good pic of it.
If you look closer you can see that the girls cloth is partly made out of brocade
>>
Dropping by to share this find on AliExpress that might interest some of you. Period looking trims for .99 for five yards. Likely synthetic fibers but they don't look super shiney.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32838822733.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32838822733&productSubject=32838822733&tt=Copy+to+clipboard&aff_platform=default&cpt=1546059891405&sk=bNiz7sqk&aff_trace_key=b3c0ce2469e24914b0dd16dc399a508c-1546059891405-08177-bNiz7sqk&terminal_id=f7b1822c8fe54ce08abe2ab3710c7b2a

Unfortunately it looks like the wider trim is not available or sold out? You might be able to find more with some searching.

I'll be going for hand woven trim when I get time to make more historical clothing but not everyone is into that so maybe helpful?
>>
>guy got in OOG trouble for pretending to be a healer because it was causing trouble mechanically (people were coming back with full hp and all that jazz despite not being cured)
>his defense was "well, I never used the mechanical terms or abilities, I just did some fake medical shit and said people were fully restored, and they started acting like they were good to go"
Should he be punished out of game if he never actually used things he couldn't have, and people just fell for his stuff on their own?
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (1.83 MB, 270x279)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB GIF
>>10067656
>Should he be punished out of game if he never actually used things he couldn't have, and people just fell for his stuff on their own?
>>
>>10067656
Maybe. Intentionally misleading players, not characters, that they were healed is a dick move. Since the inuries are invisible and intangible it is a lot easier to convince Dave the newbie that he has full hp than Crognard the Barbarian who still has 37 stab wounds to the chest.

Snakeoil salesmen and quacks can be great characters, but the onus is on the player to prevent mechanical confusion. Hiding behind semantics is not a defense, especially not when it became apparent players mistook the quackery for legitimate hp restoration. That would have been the time to stop and have a quiet chat with a ref.
>>
>>10067656
Yes; If he does go for the 'fake healing stuff', he should go OOC for a moment and say it wasn't truly effective.
>>
>>10067656

If he isn't clarifying that they weren't healed in game, yea that's on him. There's nothing wrong with playing a fake healer, but it's on them to correct any confusion on the part of the other players.

He was obviously aware that people thought they were being healed IC and getting their wounds/HP/whatever back but he didn't stop to correct them. That's 100% on him not "people just falling for his stuff on their own."
>>
>>10067706
>>10068239
>>10069999
I'll admit that telling everyone to their face isn't always an option. Metagaming is a legitimate thing to be afraid of, especially in a character that survives of keeping something not known to the larger playerbase. However, even in this case, the least he should have done is get a ST to inform the player their ailments aren't actually cured.

In a more general perspective, "pretending to do" anything in larp is a dick move. Healing, being dead/injured, cast a spell, whatever. Bound to cause OoC bad feels because people can't tell the difference between IC pretending and OoC pretending.
>>
>>10065800
not as far as I know, where I'm from boffer pretty much only ever happens as part of some certain larps. we also have a lot of non-combat larps though, so it's generally not super common, hence why it's new to me that there's an actual scene of people doing boffer stuff

>>10066239
that is actually gorgeous, I'm incredibly impressed especially by the girl
>>
I wanted to do Dagorhir when I was like, 13, but my parents told me no. I'm kinda happy I didn't go.
>>
>>10071949
Yeah, I've heard too many stories of young aspiring larpers (13-16ish) whose interest in larping was killed by restrictive parents. Almost had it happen to myself, too.

I admit having kids running around isn't always ideal for adult participants, but I think it's good to start off their interest in larping from an early age. Especially since kids tend to have more free time to learn stuff like sewing than young adults.
>>
>>10072016
>Especially since kids tend to have more free time to learn stuff like sewing than young adults.

Glad my school system requires you to pick up both sewing and workshop classes. And cooking/baking. When I started crafting for larps I didn't have to start from square one with techniques and machinery applications.

Not that I'm particularly good at any of those though. I wish my sewing was better, but I still beat 95% of the larp population so its not like it matters that much when I cut corners a bit.
>>
>>10072061
>Glad my school system requires you to pick up both sewing and workshop classes.
Better luck than me. I've had some very basic wood, plastic and metalwork, but never sewing. Or cooking for that matter. Kind of a shame really. Would've preferred that as an alternative to the soulless music classes that boiled down to "keep 75% of the kids busy with glockenspiels while the ones actually interested in music do their thing" or "art" classes that didn't actually teach any skills. What country?

I know some very basic sewing taught by some costuming enthusiasts of my local university roleplaying association, but not enough to make my own costumes. Like I said, I unfortunately don't have the free time I used to have as a kid to learn how to make my own stuff (and then make it).
>>
>>10072152
Sweden, though it is mostly just basic stuff you do in any class throughout elementary school and then through eight and ninth grade you get to pick between sewing or workshop for some more advanced stuff. Unfortunately the advanced stage was the part about making clothes in the sewing class (while workshop went on to "metal smithing", literally).

The thing I suck at is sizing, and I cant go free form without fucking up some part, which is a real shame because I have a dedicated sewing room at home with a decent machine in it.

>I know some very basic sewing taught by some costuming enthusiasts of my local university roleplaying association, but not enough to make my own costumes. Like I said, I unfortunately don't have the free time I used to have as a kid to learn how to make my own stuff (and then make it).

I'm planning on taking some sewing course later this year, I recommend you do the same. Free time is mostly about how you spend it.
>>
File: Helmet.jpg (142 KB, 1280x960)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>10056884
Sup larptread,

I have this nice and lovely set of armour, which despite my not-all-too-dedicated efforts to keep it clean has started to develop some rust after two years. It's nothing serious, just rust spots on scratches and in crevices. I heard tossing it in cola will clean away the rust. However, half the pieces of armour have leather straps attached, and the helmet has a cloth padding on the inside. How bad is it for these pieces to be soaked in cola? I'm not afraid of discolouration, but I would prefer my helmet not to be sticky and smell of cola forever.

Pic obviously not mine.
>>
File: 1464870807288.jpg (3.98 MB, 4320x8144)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB JPG
>>10072537
Embrace the paint instead.
>>
>>10072830
Blackened armour isn't painted though. Nor is lining it with messing or gold.
>>
>>10072830
Well, sure, but that's not gonna help me right now.
>>
>>10073439
>Blackened armour isn't painted though
depends on the blackening though I admit that one on the pic isn't paint

>>
File: 2.jpg (310 KB, 850x567)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>>10073439
>>10073455
Among the 5849 images I have in my various larp folders, I only have three images with definitive painted armor.

But those would just leave another issue open for debate; whether or not its actual plate or 3d printed/molded. I blame you guys for not posts enough variety, hungarian is the only one who dumps anything here worth saving.
>>
>>10074564
If I remember it then I will post a few painted armors tomorrow. Larp ones but I have a few originals too (though those are in bad shape)
>>
>>10072537
Guys, please. Just tell me how to get the fucking rust off and I promise I'll be a good boy and paint my armour.
>>
>>10074607
If its not all to pompous armor then just buy stain remover from your local hardware shop.

Otherwise you can google your way to any type of rust removal treatments. As well as polishing/preventative maintenance to shine that shit up and give some protection.
>>
>>10074564
A lot of the black sallets were painted, which are a good soure. I recall some other small things as well, but I have no clue where I saw those. Think it was late 100 years war.
>>
Where you at Gropey?
>>
>>10074607
various acids (for example phosphoric acid like ro55) and scrubbing (preferably with rubber glove included) or just sandpaper and rubbing.
vinegar and baking soda might help too but I never tried that one. same with the mentioned cole plus toothbrush scrubbing.
>>
I have a little time so as I promised I post a few painted armour.

A little foreword is that painting just one of the many posibilities, and there are a lot of different way to paint armours also, different kind of paints obviously.

What is clear to me as far as my knowledge goes in this that painted helmets were way more common than any other kind of painted armour. BUT there are a shitton of breastplates that MIGHT been painted but we doesn't know for sure because of all the scrubbing and cleaning to make it a "shining armor"

Also my own guess (so by no means the truth) is that painting was cheaper and easier than all the gliding, blueing, etching and various other means to decorate armour so it would be used in the less pricy ones but above the munitions grade stuff.
Blackening and black paint is kind of an exception to this as it can be seen in both on high and low grade stuff, though the reason behind this might be that those where less scrubbed by morons. Probably we will never know.

Anyway, example of surviving breastplate with paint
>>
>>
File: 1307982391318.jpg (52 KB, 500x375)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>
File: 1312638675020.jpg (123 KB, 640x480)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>
File: 1317734440226.jpg (6 KB, 140x107)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>
File: 1317737546499.jpg (83 KB, 800x600)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>
File: Drachenfest-2018-24.jpg (641 KB, 1920x1080)
641 KB
641 KB JPG
anyway, lets see some painted armours in larps because it's a larp thread
>>
File: Drachenfest-2018-31.jpg (474 KB, 1920x1080)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>10075278
>>10075279
>>10075285
>>10075288
>>10075289
>>10075290
>>10075293
>>10075294
>>10075295
>>10075296
>>10075297
Mah nigga, hungarian delivers again!

Be sure to tell that bearded guy with a skeleton and dancing bear on his plate that it looks dope.

>Also my own guess (so by no means the truth) is that painting was cheaper and easier than all the gliding, blueing, etching and various other means to decorate armour so it would be used in the less pricy ones but above the munitions grade stuff.
>Blackening and black paint is kind of an exception to this as it can be seen in both on high and low grade stuff, though the reason behind this might be that those where less scrubbed by morons. Probably we will never know.

So basically the same reasons as today?

I think paint and blackening are less of a hassle than maintaining untreated armor to keep away rust. At least based on my experiences, I've seen new helmets get totally reck'd with rust after a single event yet my blackened kettle helmet is only just now getting any noticeable spots of rust after five years of larping.
>>
File: painted sallet.jpg (94 KB, 640x512)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>10075285
Seems like they repainted it not too long ago.
>>
>>10075576
well paint's first function is obviously protecting from rust, and you can make black paint that sticks to metal piss cheap.
I black painted my own armour with basically just linseed oil and a very fine coal powder mixture. but nearly any plant oil can be used and also charchoal too instead of coal.
Obviously the oil part is the expensive one in ye olden times but it needs surprisingly little.
That said you need to repaint it every year or twice a year depending on useage and storage.

but you can find similar stuff outside of europe, especially around asia, where there is a very humid environtment. Like how nearly every steel armour was lacquer in japan (and that's one of the reason people think it's made out of wood/bamboo) so the constant humidity won't eat it away.

But obviosuly if you have the money you want your stuff to look nice so you can hire someone to paint nice things on it and make it colorful depending on the current fashion and your taste or lack of
>>
>>10075584
Maybe it's just due to the picture quality of the first picture, but that looks like a really shitty restoration.
>>
File: 14833532365_ef1be99e29_k.jpg (1.54 MB, 2048x1536)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>10075864
the second pic has very bad light to it.

This one is slightly better but still not perfect.
>>
>>10075289
Yo hol' up
You're saying that is a real helmet that was used in battle/ceremonial purposes, some point pre-17th century, for real?
>>
>>10076294
as far as I know yes, and somewhere between 1490 and 1510 probably south german.
And it's kind of unlikely that any black sallet would be ceremonial as a lot of them where on the cheap and crude spectrum among helmets (though that doesn't exclude the possibility)
>>
>>10076653
Damn, thanks for all the details! Your knowledge is really impressive.

Its design fucking kills me though. Whose helmet was this, Guy Fiore?
>>
File: arm_1883.jpg (101 KB, 723x510)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>10076693
I have no info on it, and the guy who catalogued it has no clue either.

But probably it wasn't a very rich guy here is a bigger picture (although the lights are different, etc)
You can see how it's a rather crude design, edges unrolled and stuff like that. I would say the craftsmanship in it is somewhere around mid tier if we count the painting too.
>>
>>10076699
AFAIK the painting is usually done on black sallets as to not actually have to do any real work on the end coat. So the edges are most likely unrolled etc because it's next to munitions grade armour.
>>
>>10063970
I'd love to do a colonial larp in a living history museum space.
>>
>>10076825
yep I already pointed that out, although it's worth mentioning that it isn't true for all black sallets, especially the cavalry versions. I mean if you already own a horse and cavalry armour you probably have the money to afford better craftsmenship.
And there are a few better made foot version here and there but those are kind of rare
>>
>>10072537
>>10074607
Jesus christ! That was probably a nice SCA helmet, but I don't know if it would have any metal left under that rust.

It might be worth your money to take it to a professional rust removal facility if you have emotional attachment to the helm. It might also be cheaper to buy new. Sorry.

>>10075026
Im here. Just not doing great.

>>10075576
>>10076294
Yes, its near universally accepted by scholars from period writings and material culture to be a go-to form of cheap surface protection and beautification.

>>10076888
We have a lot of places to play here in the first British colony.
>>
>>10077956
>>
File: paintedbreast_167.jpg (121 KB, 428x567)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>10077957
>>
File: Painted Cabaset.jpg (105 KB, 600x561)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>10077958
>>
>>10077956
>Jesus christ! That was probably a nice SCA helmet, but I don't know if it would have any metal left under that rust.
Don't worry, it's not mine. It's just the fourth or so google result for "rusty helmet". Mine just has moderate stains in difficult-to-reach spots.
>>
>>10077992
Fine emery cloth, followed by commercial polishing paste.
>>
>>10077956
What's wrong Gropalope?
>>
>>10078035
Got laid off, and the gov shutdown is directly affecting my otherwise backup finances.
>>
>>10078210
Ouch. Sorry clown bro.
>>
>>10078210
Sucks man, hope the shutdown ends soon.
>>
>>10078210
Is your state's unemployment tied to the fed shutdown?
>>
>>10078441
He lives in VA so probably.
>>
/tg/ brought me here
My garb is hanging to dry after a wash.
Putting away my pile of weapons now.
Always wondered what happened to larp threads on /tg/
>>
>>10078308
>>10078437
Thanks.

>>10078441
>>10078548
Yes, as well as another check I am supposed to get from uncle sam.

>>10079027
Welcome! Love your rapier, whos the maker? Got a pic of you in your kit?
>>
>>10060729
Off-season? I just got done doing an event in the snow.
>>
>>10079033
The rapier is calimacil.
Shit I just realized my pics with me in garb are on the old phone I just traded in for a new one. I'll get new pics this Saturday.
>>
Trying out Dammerung in a couple of months down in PA. Has anyone heard anything on whether or not it's American shit?
>>
>>10062087
Beeswax is very good as well as old school.

Some people use cooking spray oil on plate to make it slippery so glancing blows slide off better.

>>10072537 apply white vinegar with a small brush repeatedly, buff with steel wool. Coat it and the leather bits with beeswax

>>10079027
Interesting bow, would like to know about it.

Nice to see that Gropey is still around.
>>
>>10079270
It's from seven meadows archery in Tacoma. It was supposed to be a 40 pound bow but due to manufacturer error it only draws 28 pounds. Good bow. I can get more pictures later today.
>>
File: IMG_20190115_004010.jpg (401 KB, 1832x1374)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
>>10079270
I never left. Life has just been busy.

Speaking of which, I'm gearing up for my first excursion of the year. Getting a little /LARP/his/out/ since funds are tight, but nature is free and winter hiking is best. Doing it in historic kit of course

Got off my ass and made myself a new knapsack. The brownish one on the right is a brand new, unused, Russian drill knapsack. The bleached one on the right is also a drill knapsack that's over five years old and starting to die on me. With regular use and washings, it'll eventually look like that.

Who else here likes LARPing /out/?
>>
File: IMG_20190115_004027.jpg (403 KB, 1832x1374)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>10079993
And the straps
>>
>>10079993
Currently planning a 13th century 2-day hike down an old pelgrim's route with a few friends. Waiting for better weather though.
>>
There was a guy here from i think sudan, but maybe somewhere else, who said he may be coming to germany this year. Do you still lurk here, i said you could maybe join me an my group but now im in also in a Embassy that's there to provide foreigners a starting point to play. If you are here you know who you are, if youre interested hit me up.
>>
>>10076699
can you get good black sallets somewhere?
>>
>>10080376
me? yes, and kind of cheap if I'm willing to wait a year or two. Others have to find their own blacksmith
>>
>>10080374
Conquest? Drachenfest? Permanent stay? Truck-tour of Christmas markets?

What's he coming for?
>>
>>10080549
He sayed that he was moving to the us but wa staying in Germany for a Year i think. I remember that he at first wanted to know if he would be accepted here and what he could play and then people talked aboht african sword fighting. Was before Oktober, idk know much else anymore, i also don't know the events ge wanted to attend but probably the big ones.
>>
>>10079262
I've heard good things, but I'm biased because I know several of the folks running it. Gives me a good chance to get some extra mileage out of my Rus SCA stuff.
>>
Is chainmail actually as horrible to wear for long periods of time like everyone says? I saw some people also make a chainmail look alike using soda can tabs linked together, but I don't know how that'll look in person. It probably looks good at a distance, but I also wonder how well it holds together.
>>
>>10080661
>Is chainmail actually as horrible to wear for long periods of time like everyone says?
I've wore shortened chainmail for three days in a row several times, not taking it off even for sleep. It's not that bad, you can used to it.

Although the soda can tabs version is shit and if you make one you will be shittalked, reported, saged, swatted and reported as a terrorist
>>
>>10056884
I'm trying to make a stone golem out of polyethylene foam, contact cement and sheer willpower. I've built a torso that covers everything from shoulder to waist (except forearms, I'll be attaching those after sunrise) and still take off with the velcro in the back, gloves that give me enough grip to fight without giving up too much for looks, and I've got an idea for a helmet, might look something like the head of a soldier. Only problem I'm having now is building pants entirely out of foam. Now I've already built a sort of foam 'thong' that I'll be attaching foam legs to by cutting out a spot on the thigh side exactly corresponding with the thong, and maybe even putting on a fake stone 'foot' that could cover any boots I throw on.

How the fuck do I make pants out of foam? Any advice on this whole thing?
>>
File: IMG_7065.jpg (174 KB, 480x640)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>10080812
get workpants, the ones with straps over the shoulder and build the legs around that
>>
>>10080813
that's a whole lot fucking easier than I was planning. I guess I won't be gluing a pair of suspenders into the foam and hoping it worked.

I've seen that particular golem before, but not that photo. I wish I could make something that looked so connected and fluid.
>>
File: IMG_7053.jpg (178 KB, 640x480)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>10080816
well the one I posted is not a great one. It's basically made from not that good material and the joints are mostly non existent so it's hard to move in it and also hot as hell. But on the upside the guys who ordered it thrown a lot of money out of the window for it
>>
>>10080823
That was YOU? Holy shit, nice work.
Any advice for what to do to make more mobile joints?
>>
>>10081331
it wasn't me, I just know the guys who made it and been in their larps, got kind of an organizer status there through the years.

Anyway the problem with their golem is that the "joints" were just solid foam cut into shape. So the whole mobility was depending on the foam. And they used the kind of very soft foam that is used for beds, which is while cheap and lighter and whatnot, in turn degrades pretty fucking fast.

Anyway most of the joints should be either covered with cloth that is painted according to the golem or you just leav a gap between the two pieces and be mindful the color of your underclothing
>>
>>10079262
Few friends of mine play Jotunar, and those dudes tend to be the ones half decent with costuming. I'd recommend it.
>>
>>10081740
I think I'm using the same kind of foam. Most of it's from a local craft store, the rest off of foam factory. I think I'll try what your pic did and size the joints so they could overlap without adhering. Luckily I have a morph suit lying around, so underclothing won't be too bad.
>>
>>10079993
>>10079996
Nice! Do you still do historic surgeon stuff?
>>
>>10072016
Wish i started off at a younger age, had my first larp last year at age 22, thankfully i'm pretty good with smithing, woodwork and have a gf who teaches me sowing, but i notice my acting is still really stunted. OOC insecurities preventing me from doing IC things and all that jazz
>>
>>10082717
Yeah, got a question?
>>
>>10081740
What I like about the city golem is that it looks a lot "rougher" than others like these:
>>10080823
>>10080816
>>10080813
Also, the more varied colour sheme works a lot better in my opinion.

I think the "jagged rock" look (more protruding rocks and less human shape) is a lot better for golems in general, because they look less like a guy in a costume.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.