[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1535060299007.jpg (30 KB, 750x430)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>"I promise to eliminate the national debt"
>runs the largest deficits in US history, pumps the economy
>2024
>defaults on the debt
>leaves office with zero debt
>"You're welcome America!"
Is this the greatest economic plan in history?
>>
who could've guessed that a person with a transparent history of scamming money and declaring bankruptcy would run our economy into the ground?

I really hope no one is expecting to switch jobs in the near future. We're in for a rough few years
>>
defaulting on debt does not make it disappear
>>
Trump is a dangerous criminal that must be removed from office. Go here to Take Action and call for Donald Trump's impeachment

https://impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org/
>>
>>15255593
Obama ran the largest deficit. It's the federal reserve's fault. Trump has no chance in bringing the country back to a good condition because the downward spiral started many, many years ago. Fucking kikes.
>>
>>15255650
>debt is wealth
yeah, okay, bud
>>
>>15255650
what if the president just throws the collections letters in the trash and unplugs the Oval Office phone?
>>
File: 1565832132444.gif (408 KB, 498x359)
408 KB
408 KB GIF
>>15255593
B A S E D
>>
>>15255593
He is going to bring back the gold standard which will cause Gold to skyrocket to 15k-25k an ounce which will eliminate the debt. If you can't see this by now you're a brainlet.
>>
File: 1538711424690.jpg (705 KB, 1089x1024)
705 KB
705 KB JPG
obligatory "Trust the Plan" post
>>
File: DeficitAsPercentOfGdp.png (49 KB, 1166x427)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>15255664
This might be b8, but I'll reply anyway.

>Obama ran the largest deficit
This is both true and deceptive at the same time. The policies which caused the deficit to skyrocket in 2008-2009 were bipartisan. Everyone on both sides of the aisle were in agreement that it was necessary in order to recover from the 2008 recession. Obama and the democratic congress then gradually reduced the deficit as the economy improved. Once Trump and the republican congress took office, they began cutting taxes and increasing the deficit.

>It's the federal reserve's fault
No. The federal reserve has no authority over fiscal policy.
>>
>>15255650
a debt only matters as long as it can be enforced

tell me, who's gonna enforce our debt? hm? who's gonna step up to the largest military on earth?

yeah im thinking we aint paying shit
>>
File: gold.png (10 KB, 443x228)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>15255832
>>
>>15255593
>implying Trump ran on eliminating the national debt

He ran on trade wars, retard.
>>
>>15255593
Yeah hes fucked; US as a democracy can't win against China's Fascism with Communistic aesthetics
>>
>>15255694
That would result in hyperinflation when the country runs out of gold.
>>
>>15255685
Fucking kek
>>
>>15255685
Doing so would not affect the size of the debt.

>>15255856
Debt would be enforced through the court system, not the military
>>
>>15255853
Obama's deficit was much too small, and the economy was nowhere near its capacity any of the time he was in office. But it[s unfair to blame him for that, as it was the Republicans in Congress who prevented him from spending more.
>>
>>15255856
Governments can be punished without resorting to violence. If the US government defaults then it will need to pay much higher interest rates on its future debt. It would also become difficult for it to borrow money for the next few years and many of the politicians responsible would lose office.

That being said, it is pretty silly to discuss the consequences of a US default because it can always print its way out of debt.

>>15255934
>Debt would be enforced through the court system
Remind me, who runs the court system? If the US government wants to default then it will default.
>>
>>15255895
Ft. Knox is empty, we’re screwed
>>
>>15256000
This. Vaults were emptied under Obama
>>
>>15255593
>deficit
>debt
>>
>>15256000
>>15256017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bullion_Depository#Current_holdings
Roughly 4,000 tons of gold were moved out in the last 2 years, so it doesn't look like this was Obama's doing. That being said, I'm pretty ignorant and ought to read more about this...
>>
>>15255654
I don't think you know what impeach means.
>>
>>15255991
It's a different branch of government - the judiciary is not subservient to the executive.

If the US government is stupid enough to want to default then it will, but it will gain nothing from doing so, the debt will still exist, and it will still be enforced.
>>
>not knowing the US is sitting on top of more than 5x the national debt worth of untapped energy
>>
>>15255856
ching chong ping pong enters the chat

pay up debituru rite nao mr drump
>>
>>15255856
The strength of the American dollar is based on the fact that we pay our debts and holdings of Treasury notes are considered safe.

It's also based on other things, like the size of our military, which we loan out to oil-rich Gulf states in exchange for them promising that they will only handle transactions in USD, which forces countries around the world to hold USD reserves if they want to buy oil. But this military is only huge because we have such a high GDP. But if we don't pay out our loans, people will want to stop lending to us, and since our entire economy is debt-based, that will definitely hurt our GDP.

>>15255685
lol
>>
>>15256105
When I said "US government" I was referring to all three branches as if they are always magically in agreement about what to do. I also suspect there is a legal mechanism for defaulting. The courts probably wouldn't have any reason to lift a finger. I never meant to imply the judiciary branch is subservient to the executive.

That being said, even if the courts did throw a fit (which is questionable), I doubt they could accomplish anything. The legislative branch is constantly changing laws and the executive branch occasionally ignores the law. I remember Andrew Jackson forced some native americans off their land even though the courts told him it was illegal. There are probably other examples, I just don't recall any off the top of my head.

By the way, the supreme court case Jackson ignored was Worcester v. Georgia. I just looked it up. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcester_v._Georgia. Jackson was a genocidal badass. Trump is a eunuch SJW in comparison.
>>
Trump already said what he would do during the campaign on national debt default

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/488270/
>In an appearance Wednesday morning on CBS This Morning, the presumptive Republican nominee returned to an idea he floated back in May: that if the U.S. economy “crashed,” he would offer to pay U.S. creditors less than what they are owed. “You go back and say, hey guess what, the economy just crashed. I’m going to give you back half,” he told Norah O’Donnell.
>>
>>15256141

Wageslaves on giant hamster wheels?
>>
>>15256515
If you think President Trump has anything to do with Campaign Trump at this point, well, have I got a letter-based conspiracy theory for you.
>>
>>15256047
You're not reading it correctly. Not all of the US' reserves are at Knox, just half of them. It mentions 2017 that US' TOTAL reserves are 8k tons while Knox has a lil over 4k.
>>
He's also a bootlicker for the federal reserve.

Good job you absolute brainlets that voted for him.
>>
>>15255853
The federal reserve manipulating interest rates distorts economic production and destroys the economy.
>>
>>15256248
>The strength of the American dollar is based on the fact that we pay our debts and holdings of Treasury notes are considered safe.

>It's also based on other things, like the size of our military, which we loan out to oil-rich Gulf states in exchange for them promising that they will only handle transactions in USD, which forces countries around the world to hold USD reserves if they want to buy oil. But this military is only huge because we have such a high GDP. But if we don't pay out our loans, people will want to stop lending to us, and since our entire economy is debt-based, that will definitely hurt our GDP.

Collapse of the American empire when?
>>
>>15257378
probably a lot sooner than you would think
>>
>>15256546
>>15257393
Imagine that the plan was to fatten up Americans so they would more likely survive the next inevitable Great Depression
>>
>>15255593
Most of the debt is owed to Americans, it's basically bankrupting the whole country through a domino effect.
Only retarded leftists think you can default the debt without crashing your economy and the one of others.

That's why debt based money is so vicious, once you're in there is no painless escape.
>>
>>15257535
This. US civilians own the vast majority of US national debt. US civilians also own more firearms than every single police, military, and paramilitary force in the world combined. A default would be mean 100+ million pissed off gun owners who collectively own 300+ million guns.
>>
>>15256091
Don't think you know what a false flag is
>>
If Orange Man was a smart man he'd convert all of the US's gold into Link.
>>
>>15255856
fucking this. debt is owed to who? ourselves? some private central bank that prints monopoly money on command? lmao get real. debt is a meaningless and outdated concept . the current financial order needs to implode so humanity can move on.
>>
Maybe I'm imagining this, but hasn't Trump said in the past something along the lines that the US should raise a one off tax to wipe the debt? I'm talking years ago, I remember the young Turks talking about it in like 2012 when they were criticising him for the birther stuff.

Does anyone else remember this? I can hardly find anything about it when I Google it and I would've thought it would've come up in the media again by now. Maybe I just imagined it.

Not saying it's a good idea, I'm from bong land so have no idea if the president could even do it nor do I know anything about economics so I don't know if it's feasible. But maybe Trump is sitting on it.
>>
>>15258942
Would be a pretty entertaining world if a couple thousand neets became billionaires
>>
The truth is he had no idea what he was saying then, now he he has the best political and financial experts advising him
>>
>15259056
>I remember the young roaches
TOP KEK, could you be even more obvious DNC shill
>>
>>15257913
Who said anything about a false flag?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.