[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Psuedohemiodon.jpg (168 KB, 1318x776)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Before asking questions in this thread, do a bit of searching online to see if it has been answered already.
Make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
>https://modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Articles and Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
>https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
>http://www.scotcat.com/
>https://www.loaches.com/species-index
>http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

Old thread: >>3231608
>>
Which aquarium fish taste the best?
>>
File: charales-2.jpg (51 KB, 613x370)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>3235756
Chirostoma
>>
>>3235758
Those aren't aquarium fish
>>
Fish have diurnal cycles and they need sleep like we do.

That's what I've learn from keeping and neglecting a bunch of fish to death. Like a really really bad scientist. I'm so sorry, fish and other creatures. You all deserved better than me. I vow to never keep a pet again. But I still have one more fish. That's still alive. I don't know what to do with it.

>>3235756
Aw gross
>>
File: minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>
>>3235804
Ironically this particular betta would be much better off in a typical five or ten where it wouldn't have to struggle against a much too powerful current and compete for food with faster tankmates. If it were wild type or a plakat it might be okay but this is dumb and unintentionally cruel.
>>
File: 1560913822541.jpg (82 KB, 1080x1012)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>Ironically this particular betta would be much better off in a typical five or ten where it wouldn't have to struggle against a much too powerful current and compete for food with faster tankmates. If it were wild type or a plakat it might be okay but this is dumb and unintentionally cruel.
>>
Does anyone here have expierence with keeping mudskippers?
>>
>>3235825
>keep betta in small aquarium
>wahhh not my bettarino, they need space to swim and flare their finnarinos YOU CANT DO THIS ITS CRUEL NOOOOOOOOOOO!
>Keep betta in large aquarium
>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, NOT MY LONELY BETTARINO, HE NEEDS COMFY BETTA FRIENDERINOS TO NUZZLE AND KILL FOR MATING RIGHTS, NOOO HE CANT SWIM THE CURRENT IS TOO STRONG NOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>3235877
It's almost as if you should keep captive animals in an environment that suits them. Are you retarded or just pretending? Here's your upvote either way.
>>
File: IMG-20200107-WA0027.jpg (793 KB, 4128x2322)
793 KB
793 KB JPG
I rescued this guy yesterday
How long do you guys think is going to last?
Guy at the store said it was a tumor, but I've read it might be an abscess
>>
File: 20200108_091242.jpg (3.56 MB, 4032x3024)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
What kind of succ-y boi would you recommend in an African cichlid tank? I plan to keep 6 <4" cichlids in this 29 gallon. I have more plants arriving for it tomorrow, but as I've been letting the plants root, I've had a lot of algea growth. I'm thinking I'll toss an algea-eater in there before hunting down the cichlids I want.
>>
>>3235939
>live plants in an African cichlid tank
they'll appreciate the free salad
>>
>>3235955
I've watched and read a lot of stuff about planted cichlid tanks. The thicker leafed anubias tend to do well and Java fern is Hardy. Amazon swords supposedly do well too, but its <$30 worth of plants. If it doesn't work out, oh well. I figured I'd at least try. If they start to get thrashed, I can always move them to my danio tank.
>>
Can I keep two female dwarf puffers together or would they kill each other? What'd be the smallest tank I can get away with if I have nothing but the puffers and plants?
>>
Can I ask questions regarding the water part of a paludarium project here or should I try a different thread?
>>
>>3235876
>>3236113
Why the fuck don't you people just straight up ask your questions properly instead of this vague shit and waiting for approval? If someone can help you, you're getting replies and if not, you won't. This is not a forum where some faggot admin will ban you if you're not behaving exactly as he wants.
>>
>>3236126
Guess you're right, quite redundant.
I want a kinda natural looking transition between water and land with a sloped clay shore on one end.
Would a flat clay ramp work well enough or would it sag away after some time?

Also how well would the water part fare without a pump?
Inhabitants are crabs, to probably not too many feces in the water, thinking about adding shrimp too.
>>
File: IMG_20200109_171259.jpg (3.28 MB, 4160x3120)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
>>3236130
I don't think that shrimp will eat all the feces... Look into "hamburger mattenfilter", it only needs to be cleaned every 12-24 months and you can plant it so it won't be to visible
It's the mossy thing on the right, i just put it in today so it isn't overgrown yet. There's a tube and a hose going in and out at the top though which will be visible but you can lead the hose through some plants to hide it.
>>
>>3235686
Any anons have experience with Victorian cichlids? Been trying to find some inspiration for a realistic tank layout, but I can't find any good pictures of Lake Victoria underwater.
>>
>>3236156
https://youtu.be/bqM9uNlzDc0 maybe Google scuba diving or snorkeling in lake v
>>
>>3236155
Don't know how many feces there'll be, the crabs are mostly terrestrial it seems.
The young seem to stay in the water though.
Also I guess max water depth I can get is 10cm, but I think I can get this done with the small filter I got in my 70l aquarium.
Maybe hide it behind some rocks and or wood and even create a small waterfall somewhere.
>>
File: 1563316615995.gif (1.28 MB, 320x218)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB GIF
Do crayfish use a paludarium? Or do they not venture on to the land?
>>
>>3236164
Sounds great to me, be sure to post a Pic once it's done... Small filter should do then... Might be a bit tight for shrimp, cause they like to roam
>>
>>3236166
Dunno, maybe some species.
Heard of a species of small blue crayfish somewhere in the US living under rocks next to bodies water.
>>
File: ambiente-2.jpg (54 KB, 640x480)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>3235825
The size isn't what's wrong. Maybe it's too tall, but the real problem is that it's mostly empty. Bettas live in muddy water overgrown with weeds, they don't like being out in the open. But i wouldn't call it cruel

>>3235872
>>3235877
Fuck off back to /v/.
>>
>>3236166
Some species on rare occasions will venture out of the water for a bit. Honestly if you want to do a paulidarium setup you'd be better off with crabs than with crawdads.
>>
>>3236130
If you want to make a seamless transition I would use some pieces of cork bark and coco fiber liner silliconed onto a slope made of egg crate. The coco fiber liner is good because plant roots could penetrate it and grow on top of it.
>>
>>3235756
pleco soup
>>
hey bros

i recently got into fish 1.5 months ago, I think my fish-in cycle is mostly finished (mistakes were made) and I picked up another 29 gallon tank (my current tank is 20 gallon long) to transfer the fish into once it's cycled. my question is what plants should I plant while I have time, I bought some dwarf baby tear seeds to try but have seen a lot of people talking shit about how it takes skill to grow. I will be using Seachem Flourite Black Sand
>>
>>3236386
also inb4

>why did you buy such a small tank to begin with
well i had no idea id fall in love with the hobby as hard as i did
>why only 29 gallons
petco $1/gal sale, I only have a few months left on my lease at my apartment and once I move I will be again upgrading to a 55-60 gallon but this will allow my small community to thrive a bit better as well as growing some live plants before adding water.
>>
>>3236386
>bought some dwarf baby tear seeds to try but have seen a lot of people talking shit about how it takes skill to grow

unless you have co2 injection you're probably wasting your time. Always worth a go though.

Watch this

https://youtu.be/vPsirguiGZ4
>>
>>3236434
Can I get a QRD "co2 injection", money isn't really an issue; I just can't buy a massive tank because I'll be moving in 2 months. But I am adding several sponge filters to accumulate bacteria for swapping to new tanks in the meantime.
>>
>>3235756
Discus is good supposedly
>>
>>3236386
A bit confused on what you're saying. What type of fish do you have? A 20 long to a 29 isn't much of an upgrade. Also do you mean you're gonna transfer your fish to the uncycled 29 gallon or are you switch filter media over too?
>>
>>3236457
20L to 29 (after letting it cycle with spent sponge filters from 20L for a month or longer I will transfer fish to it) this gives me awhile to get some plants going before filling it, I was wondering what I should start with for a nice planted tank to be cycled and filled with my community of fish (gouramis and corys)
>>
>>3235756
Serious answer would be catfish, as people actually keep them in huge aquariums or ponds and people actually catch them to eat them in the wild.
>>
>>3235876
>mfw he keeps getting away with it
>>
Do you guys cull your shrimp colonies to maximize desirable phenotype? What do you do with your culls?
>>
>>3235965
You could probably do a ten gallon daysoo so long as it's heavily planted. 20 G high would also be cool.
>>
>>3236566
Not yet cause i don't have that many and idk what to do with them cause my gf doesn't want me to have 2 tanks
>>
File: MVI_7456.webm (2.71 MB, 960x540)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB WEBM
>>
File: MVI_7467.webm (2.5 MB, 960x540)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB WEBM
>>
>>3236585
>my gf doesn't want me to have 2 tanks
dump gf immediately. She doesn't respect your autonomy and will just cheat on you with someone that doesn't obey her like a whipped puppy dog.
>>
>>3236585
You don't have to obey her
>>
File: koiboy.png (613 KB, 1280x720)
613 KB
613 KB PNG
>>3236585
>getting pussywhipped
lmao
>>
File: 14394738732863824.jpg (9 KB, 219x230)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>3236585
>>
>>3236585
So do you get to restrict her hobbies and interests the same way or are you just entirely whipped?
>>
>>3236585
you have to decide which is more important, your shrimp or a gf
>>
>>3236714
>>3236716
what species? those are fuckin rad lookin
>>
File: MVI_7455.webm (2.39 MB, 960x540)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB WEBM
>>3236905
T. mauritanicus from Spain. Some shops sell them labelled as T. cancriformis Green, but I'm pretty sure that's just an outdated label because mauris used to be a subspecies before getting recognized as a real one.
>>
>>3235902
>Buys tumor fish
>>
I've got a HOB, a large sponge filter and 2 small sponge filters in a 20 gallon tank, I have this will allow to get more bacteria for faster cycling of new tanks, is this true? I want at least 2 more tanks in a few months.
>>
>>3236942
Lame :/
>>
File: 20200110_171700.jpg (1.77 MB, 2048x1536)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
Amano coloration is based off diet right?
>>
>>3236585

She doesn't get to decide how you live your life, anon.
>>
>>3236920
These guys only live for a few weeks right? Or am I remembering wrong
>>
File: IMG_7106.jpg (162 KB, 1387x915)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>3237021
1-2 months is normal for Triops. This species seems to have slightly higher average lifespans, and I had a few individuals who managed to push past 3 months.
>>
File: P_20200110_202032.jpg (2.41 MB, 3264x2448)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
I posted a few weeks ago about turning my 36 gallon into a filterless shrimp tank. Well, 3 shrimp died over night and partially crashed the tank while it still had an aquaclear 50 running. So I said fuck it an bought a 250 Classic, 10 neons, a couple of hillstream loaches, a few otos and some pregnant female guppies that have since given birth. Added simple Co2 and started using Flourish and Flourish Advance which is making a huge difference in my plant growth. The distance between nodes on my wisteria has been cut in half producing much fuller looking plants, at least on the top for now.
Much happier with the tank, it's cloudy because I was making some cuttings to up the density of plants quicker.
I'm thinking a Dragon or Koi Betta and a small goby or two as the show pieces to finish it off in a few weeks.
>>
>>3236920
>T. mauritanicus from Spain. Some shops sell them labelled as T. cancriformis Green
ty very much, will have a look into it
>>
>>3236920
nice camo
>>
>>3237047
>that background
>>
>>3236999
Yes amanos become green if their diet consists mainly of algae.
>>
File: 20200110_210610.jpg (3.34 MB, 4032x3024)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB JPG
Why does he hate snale?
>>
There any particular brand you guys trust for heaters?
>>
File: Webp.net-compress-image.jpg (1.26 MB, 4077x2575)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
I finally did it, planted 2 anubias and 3 elodeas. It will be a home for a betta, soon.
>>
>>3236166
They can but honestly they don't benefit from a terrestrial portion
>>
>>3236741

>>3236746

>>3236780

>>3236791

>>3236818

>>3236826
Lol thanks for your support friends but we live in a small 2 room appartment where space is very limited so I respect her not wanting two tanks in the living room
>>
>>3237164
Turn the coffee table into a tank if you have one
>>
>>3237180
Don't have one, no space but I'm only 22 and I've only been at this for a year so I can wait till we start earning and move to a bigger place
>>
>>3237164
Hey if you're new here you don't need to reply and "return return" every post, just saying...
Half of us are just busting your balls anyways.
>>
>>3237206
I know, but I wanted to give everyone their well deserved (you)
>>
So I've almost got things finished on my planning for my starting 40 breeder... Just a few things to ask for people's opinion on.

>Aquaclear 50 or Marineland Penguin 200 for a filter?
>Beamworks DA FSPEC ($55) or Nicrew Classic 30-36 ($37)? Or is there another cheap and decent starter light that can manage to grow Java Moss, Java Ferns, and Anubius?
>Is it worth it to get a heat controller, or is a simple $3 thermometer enough?
>Does brand really matter for conditioner, starter, or test kits?
>>
>>3237240
As a noob I have some things to say I wish I knew a month ago

>aqueon tank $1/gal petal
>HOB filters are dumb, get a large sponge filter
>buy an API liquid test kit
>don’t add fish until you read zero ammonia and plenty of nitrates, add Tetra Safe Start PLUS or Seachem Stability for a week then waiting for above, add some fish food for initial bacterium food source
>don’t buy chink stands go to thrift store or habitat for humanity
>add plants before filling with water
>do not overstock fish or add any fish until you read and confirm the nitrogen cycle has finished its process, read on new tank syndrome
>condition water with Seachem Prime
I think that’s about it. Don’t fall for memes or overpriced crap read hobbyists forums. Buy LED lights only. Cheap heater with temp dial and temperature probe. Fish food buy only the smallest bottle as it goes stale and anything bigger is a scam or for those with lots of fish, do not over feed.
>>
>>3237248
Also buy a siphon, a large one. Do not fucking over feed, it will be toxic for the tank and fish. Do not vacuum the gravel, do not place the tank near windows, turn lights off when you sleep when fish are in. Don’t buy a fucking plexiglass, get some CoryDoras or other bottom feeders, do not vacuum gravel or worry about cleaning tank anytime soon.
>>
>>3237250
Pleco not plexiglass faggot iPhone
>>
>>3237248
This, hundred times this.
>>
Any anons that have used cork bark in aquascapes here?
>>
>>3237248
>sponge filter
what are you raising fry? who's got the tank space to burn on that

>Tetra Safe Start PLUS
>Seachem Stability
>Seachem Prime
>I think that’s about it. Don’t fall for memes or overpriced crap
>>
>>3237293
my man, it wants to float so bad, why would you do that to yourself
>>
>>3237306
Fresh from /v/?
>>
>>3237248
>hob filters are dumb
I use Seachem Tidals on all my tanks, they have flow control, surface skimmer, self priming pump, a maintenance alert. and a nice customizable media basket.
sponge filters are poorfag caveman tier.
>>
>>3237321
It’s his first tank, why go all out on something you’ve never done before. Probably ends up killing his first fish and giving up anyway since he comes to 4chan for advice instead of a library
>>
File: AquariumCosts.png (37 KB, 664x601)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>3237248
Thanks. Yeah, already planning on the petco sale for aquarium and possibly stand, then having the tank cycle for a month or so ("until it's ready and proves stable per the kit", really) before I put the fish in, and then adding the fish at 1/4th the tank's max load (~32" total, so ~8") at a time. Probably going to stay at that 1/4 load for a while before adding anything else. Bluntly going to say no to the sponge, you can find the HOBs on amazon for the same price as the sponge+pump and they generally do a better filtering and flow generation job.

>>3237250
"don't put anything your fish can't eat in 1-2 minutes", right? Was going to put a timer on the lights, and the tank will be going in the darkest part of the room where direct sunlight never reaches.

>>3237324
>a library
>2020
Library isn't going to help on brand vs brand, which is most of my questions. The rest of the internet gives wildly varying answers and more than half of them are spamming affiliate links with obvious biases. I figured I'd ask here in case someone had experience with them that'd help. And with this mockup list in case I missed something obvious.
>>
>>3237389
>$45 for a heater
>imagitarium black sand (buy seachem flourite black sand instead or just buy some damn play sand at home depot)
API kit is $20 on amazon, Seachem Prime/Stability is $5 each. get a bigger siphon than that, just go top fin, algae scrubber is completely unnecessary for many months, you can get 5 gal buckets at HF for $2.99/ea, get the chink lights on amazon for $36, HOB is overpriced just go sponge dude youre overthinking this, complete marketing meme, why if MDF that expensive go to home depot
>>
>>3237047
>I bought 253 fish

>Posts pic of three fish
>>
>>3237389
also
>fluval anything let alone food
youre getting memed, are you from reddit? imagine thinking a beginner tank cost $600 to get going lmao
>>
>>3237250
Do not vacuum the gravel?
>>
>>3237403
As long as you aren't over feeding and the tank is planted the build up is beneficial to the plants
>>
i've have a 10 gallon with a beta for about 6 months and I've noticed a bunch of brown algae(i think) has started to grow all over the decor and some on the glass and even the sponge filter.

how dangerous is this stuff? why is it there? will cleaning the decorations, filter and glass be good enough?
>>
>>3237401
bug bites are good food Mr.contrarian
>>
>>3237401
>>3237425
Yeah bug bites are fantastic
>>
>>3237397
>>$45 for a heater
>API kit is $20 on amazon, Seachem Prime/Stability is $5 each.
The perils of making your estimates based off the petco prices, yeah. Was in the middle of heater research, have since found the same pro for $15 and Jagers for $30.

>>imagitarium black sand (buy seachem flourite black sand instead or just buy some damn play sand at home depot)
So either pay more ($2 per pound) for the nice stuff, or just go for the cheap stuff?

>get a bigger siphon than that,
>algae scrubber is completely unnecessary for many months,
>get the chink lights on amazon for $36
This is the exact sort of advice I was looking for that the rest of the net doesn't seem to provide.

>just go top fin,
On what?

>you can get 5 gal buckets at HF for $2.99/ea,
Yes, the 7 is for two of them +tax, rounded up.

>HOB is overpriced just go sponge dude youre overthinking this, complete marketing meme,
ok spongefag

>why if MDF that expensive go to home depot
I want to add shelves to the stand, though I've been leaning towards the particleboard since the exact appearance probably isn't going to matter.

>youre getting memed, are you from reddit?
Going off the advice of the various stores around here. Reddit doesn't give advice unless you have a sob story able to get a few hundred soiboi points.

>imagine thinking a beginner tank cost $600 to get going lmao
People here and in the stores seemed to think the $500-$600 range was pretty normal
>>
>>3237309
Price and availability and I have a piece that looks a lot like a decaying stump. I figured I could silicone it to some slate or something. I just more or less wanted to know it fares in an aquarium
>>
>>3235939
>>3235963
If that's anubias in the middle, you're gonna rot it like that. Rhizome should be above the substrate.
>>
>>3235939
>>3235963
>>3237526
I think the rightmost is a subtype of Java Fern (Windelov), which is the same as the anubias in wanting to be above the substrate. Find one of the rougher rocks or bits of the wood, and then either glue them to it with super glue or tie them to it with thread/fishing line. If you use the line or thread, cut it off once they're firmly attached to the rock.
>>
>>3235804
>still posting this webm
>>
>>3237437
im just busting your balls man, that obligatory contrarian shitposter set me off
>>
When a plant has turned yellow is it game over?
I have a full carpet of dwarf hairgrass and some of the older growth is yellow in patches.
>>
>>3237555
>still replying to this webm
>>
>>3236924
Not bought, retard.
Guy told us that they were going to euthanise him bc nobody wanted him, so they gave him to us for free.
I'm sure you'd want a bit of kindness in your life were you about to fucking die, consider it since you are a tumor yourself, fag.
>>
>>3237659
Take your Xanax hothead
>>
>>3237659
Nice of you, but calm down
>>
Hi /aq/, I'm new to the hobby and am looking to get a new stand for my 30-40 gal tank. I've read a lot about the importance of having the tank on a completely flat surface that does not overhang the stand, as this will cause damage to the tank over months of use due to unevenly distributed weight. I was wondering, is it also bad if I have a stand that fits the long edges of the tank but not the sides? I found a nice secondhand stand for cheap, but it was made for a 55gal, so my tank will not be wide enough to fit it.
>>
At what age can you sex celestial pearl danios? Three that I thought were female are harassing one that I’m also pretty sure is female. Will females be aggressive towards other females? My male completely leaves the rest alone too
>>
>>3237118
the shitbull of fish
>>
>>3237667
Take your retardation to /b/, I was just asking advice
>>
File: 40andstuff.png (1.8 MB, 1426x803)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PNG
Well I'm committed now, thanks /aq/. Now to wait for all the amazon stuff to show.
>>
>>3237747
good luck, what are you putting in?
>>
>>3237752
First some Electric Blue Acaras (which I'll keep a pair of), then probably going to add a bristlenose pleco and 4-7 diamond tetras. That should be within the total capacity of the tank without overstocking (30-32" of fish vs 40 gallons), and they all live in the same area in the wild. May go for columbian red and blues instead of the diamonds.
>>
>>3237747
Noice, what are you getting? Will it have a scheme?
>>
Y’all ever been into newts?
>>
>>3237799
mentioned in >>3237765, but the stuff in the aquarium will be pretty straightforward: a fine gravel (because finding a mid-dark brown sand is hard), a few rocks, probably going to try for two large pieces of wood to provide shelter or interesting terrain, and then some babymode plants that can root on the rocks and wood to avoid the Acaras uprooting them from the gravel.
>>
>>3237800
Been considering making a small newt paludarium in my shitty 10 gallon
>>
>>3237807
How will you build it?
>>
>>3237811
I was thinking 1/3 land with a few inches of water, driftwood log, turtle filter waterfall, plants and all that
Need to do more research and planning though
>>
>>3237412
Sounds like diatom algae
>>
>>3237652
Got me there
>>
>>3237765
Why a bristlenose
>>
>>3237692
I should rephrase this

Is cpd’s chasing each other normal?
>>
>>3237807
Newts need more than 10 gallons. Try a 20 long
>>
>>3236566
I require more pics of your tanks
>>
>>3237830
Small but not so small the Acaras will eat them, and native to the same rivers as the other two. Like the Tetras, that might change as I get into things.
>>
File: received_575026563043325.jpg (764 KB, 4032x3024)
764 KB
764 KB JPG
This is my first tank I've had for since I was a kid, decided to go pick a bunch of moss and throw the driftwood in. Was thinking about throwing neon tetras with some kind of shrimps in. Any suggestions?
>>
>>3237854
>pick a bunch of moss
Like, from outside, anon?
>>
File: Shrimp.jpg (505 KB, 1119x1599)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
I've just set up this 20L / 5Gal tank for breeding blue dream shrimp.

A few questions.

1. i have 5 shrimp currently, im pretty sure theres a mix of male/female because the male was scuttling around because of the female's pheromones the day i set it up. Is this enough to breed? Do they need to be in larger numbers or is 5 enough?

2. Is the light im using strong enough for the plants in there? Its just a shitty ikea desk lamp. In-tank is easy to grow stuff, java moss, water wisteria, Rotala rotundifoliaia, as well as a few other plants from my other tank. also experimenting with putting my satin pothos in there as they seem to be able to root in water.

3. How long will it take for my java moss to spring back to life? I bought 50g from an ebay seller and it came all brown and unhealthy looking as you can see in the pic.

4. What kind of timespan am i looking for breeding? Should i also be adding more shrimp in to get a bit of genetic diversity? I dont want inbred retard shrimp.
>>3237854
Aesthetic as fuck. I'd put some tiny fish in there like celestial pearl danio, chilli rasboras, green neons or pygmy cory's in there. It would make the scale of the tank work better imo. Neons are cool but a little boring. Any small fish that schools would look good. What size is the tank?
>>
>>3235686
I bought some Egeria densa and I want it grow roots. I put some dirt/sand in a papertowel and rubberbanded it to the bottom of a group of stems. Will this work or will I kill the plant.
>>
I accidentally bought a 60g sponge filter for my 10g tank. Been using it anyways for several months with no issues.
If I want to free up some space, how do I go about replacing it with a smaller sponge filter?
Do I hook up the smaller one to the air pump with the bigger one still inside the tank for a few weeks?
>>
File: m0f6Jc8.jpg (983 KB, 4250x2390)
983 KB
983 KB JPG
>>3238170
>Will this work or will I kill the plant.

unlikely to kill it but will also not work (well). what you have there is just the stems. the stems will grow thin roots (straight thin lines in pic) which will look for soft soil to achor the plant to and pull it in. if that works, the stems may become "woody looking" if they are pulled into muddy soil. they then have become "rootlike" but aren't really roots. under the right conditions, the real roots can grow fast and numerous to the point of becoming a burden to some as they fuck up the looks of the aquarium. they grow faster when the plant is just floating horizontally in there and grow slower if the plant is vertically anchored like yours. as always, the right way to do things is to provide a thick layer of natural soil and let the plants establish themselves in there. best/fastest way would be to get some clear plastic mesh and make a ceiling above the horizontally laid out plants with the plants being basically in contact with the soil. the roots will shoot into the soil and anchor the plants and potentially pull it into the soil at it's own pace. the stem may naturally harden and will then continue to produce stem offshoot going up.
>>
>>3238218
i guess i will float them until they grow roots from the stem. thanks
>>
Is it possible that my albino cory can’t see very well? I’ve heard of albino animals having poor eyesight but I don’t know if it applies to fish
>>
File: IMG_20191106_165523.jpg (1.29 MB, 2510x3000)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>3238206
>Do I hook up the smaller one to the air pump with the bigger one still inside the tank for a few weeks?
If possible, run it off its own air tube next to the old one for 2- weeks. Or attach the old one to the new one with a tiewrap or something so they are touching and both get some flow through them.

If you have the space, a small double sponge filter might be a good idea. Especially if you want to get more tanks, then you can just take 1 sponge to the new tank and put one of the new ones on your old filter. Instant-cycle.
I'm using the 'type 6' one from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32710552579.html
Can't really go wrong for that price. The 'replace cotton' option contains 2 sponges, by the way.

If you're in Europe, there's a small pump that fits these filters without any modifications, you can get 3 of the pumps for under €30 from a Polish eBay seller. Search for 3x aquael pat mini.

Pic related, the pat mini pump with aliexpress double sponge filter, in a 10G
>>
>>3238279
Forgot to add, if you do run the filter of a pump like that, tie off a short piece of tube and put it on the nub where you normally put the airline tube, otherwise the pump will pull water through it instead of through the sponges. Might suck in & mangle snails/shrimp that way.
The pump exit also has a piece with a small hole, you can put a piece of tube on that too and put the other end out of the water, that way the exit flow will pull in air & create bubbles to prevent a film from forming on your water.
>>
>>3237389
>wasting that much money
Get a tank during the dollar per gallon sale or from a thrift shop. Make your own stand from plywood. Just use a cheap reptile lamp for a light, they also heat the water a bit and makes there be a day and night temp difference. Use play sand from home depot or black blasting sand from tractor supply. Get ghostwood from a reptile store, and get rocks from a local river. Do this and your total cost will be slashed in more than half.
>>
>>3238279
>If possible, run it off its own air tube next to the old one for 2- weeks.

will running 2 tubes from the same 10g air pump for both filters be good enough?
>>
>>3238287
Yeah, probably
>>
First timer here, got a 20 gallon high. As a beginner, would it be easier to start with 1 type of fish and add a few more once I get used to having a tank, or not even bother and just go full shrimp?

Willing to do the work of maintenance and everything, just wondering which is intrinsically easier and less likely to be a shitshow.
>>
>>3238337
Shrimp have next to no bioload, but are a bit more sensitive than most fish.
If you are willing to put in the work, just research whatever you think is cool. That's where so many people fail and then it gets labeled a 'difficult' fish/whatever to keep.
>>
File: 20200107_212729.jpg (2.16 MB, 2440x2768)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>3237914
Yep, that's all I did and put it where I thought would look cool. I've had it in for about ten days so far and looks healthy still. No idea what kind it is but pic related.

>>3237932
Thank you, it's only a ten gallon but I think you're right I'm try to go with something that will school together. I think i would only be able to fit like 6 tetras in with this size tank. I'm still going to wait a while and let the moss filter for a couple weeks before I do add anything to it
>>
File: 20200107_212652.jpg (3.7 MB, 3264x2448)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB JPG
>>3238362
>>
>>3238362
>>3238364
Inderdasting, keep /aq/ updated on this please
>>
>>3237591
As long as the plant is replacing the old dying leaves with new ones it's fine
>>
>>3237854
That moss is so pleasing to the eye.
Definitely add ghost shrimp
>>
File: P_20200112_182004.jpg (1.85 MB, 3264x2448)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>3237055
Yeah, it was temporary to block the sunlight.
>>3237399
Here's a few more, 4 this time maybe...
>>
>>3235877
forever this
>>
>>3235902
>rescued
lawl
>>
>>3235902
>rescued
Thank you for your contribution to the machine. We will produce more fish for people to 'rescue' from our stores very soon. Did you even have a cycled tank prepared before getting the fish?
>>
>>3238392
Yeah i see a little of that happening, should i trim or no?
>>
>>3238468
Go for it, just let the new growth untouched
>>
>>3238476
alright well do
fuck i hate trimming though but it really needs it.
>>
>>3238355
Not him but does that mean i can stock my 15 gallon long as if it were empty despite my shrimps(making sure the fish are peaceful of course)
>>
What's the biggest meme fish?
>>
>>3238506
Bettas
Living abominations that were memed into being seen as acceptable
>>
>>3238506
Shark, any shark.
>>
>>3238506
Plecos
>>
File: Flowerhorn-1.jpg (279 KB, 1920x1193)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>>3238506
Flowerhorns. Unnatural hybrids that are intentionally bred to look like they have a tumor. Just why?
>>
>>3238512
They are bred for their superb IQ
>>
>>3238512
>>3238513
This reminds me of a certain CatDog episode that gave me nightmares as a child.
>>
>>3238493
From what I've read so far, yes. Keep in mind I've only been in the hobby for a bit under a year myself, but this is what I keep reading, you could easily keep 200+ shrimp in a 15g if it's got a half-decent well-cycled filter.
All fish will eat shrimp babies though.
>>
>>3238509
What about wildtype ones? I never really liked the typical shop-betta look, but then I stumbled across Foo's channel with the mahachai betta, and I really like that one.
>>
>>3236434
great vid, thanks for sharing
>>
>>3238558
gorgeous
>>
>>3238286
Dollar per Gallon now only goes up to... 29? Above that they do half price. So he's already getting that. Stand, rocks, and ghostwood might be aesthetic reasons. Absolutely right on the sand. Brand aquarium sand is a ripoff.

>>3238337
Throw two convicts/firemouths in there. Convicts are hardier but you won't be able to get rid of the babies fast enough. Firemouths don't breed as much and look nicer.
>>
>>3238509
Cringe.
DUMBO CHADS WW@?!
>>
>>3238506
corydoras
>>
>>3238506
Goldfish
Oscars
Glofish
Neon tetras
Clown fish
Plecos
Anything called a """cleaner fish"""
>>
>>3238910
why?
>>
File: P_20200112_213927_vHDR_On.jpg (1.36 MB, 3264x2448)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
I fucking love these guys. They might be my favorite fish in my tank. Always moving, full of attitude towards to the otos and they look amazing when they swim, like a little spaceship.
>>
File: Geosesarma hagen 1.jpg (113 KB, 885x582)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>3236300
Ay, will do, though it may take quite some time until I can take pictures of anything.
Still collecting materials and suitable species of plant.
If I should choose Geosesarma krathing I need to research a few more species from Thailand, currently only have species from the Melanesian region, like Indonesia, the Philippines and Sulawesi on my List.

>>3236184
Think it'd work, but it wouldn't look natural enough and wouldn't allow the crabs to maybe dig in the mud.
Pic related, G. hagen on a small streams edge in the mud.
Would be terrific to mimic this in an enclosure.
Think I'll empty out a large tub I got to test a sloping clay edge.
>>
>>3238506
AFRICAN CICHLIDS
>>
File: FB_IMG_1578920157483.jpg (44 KB, 720x958)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>3238506
>>
>>3238982
What is it, and what kind of tank do they need?
>>
File: 20191214_012629.jpg (1.13 MB, 2933x3023)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>3239038
Hillstream loach. They're fantastic. Standard belief is lots of oxygen and high flow, but LRB has shown em very happy in an unfiltered tank. Slightly cooler water.
>>
Who else ITT is a biome purist?
>>
>>3239050
Hillstream tank is on my "some day..." list.
>>
>>3239051
Ayy.
Though I'm having trouble finding matching aquatic and terrestrial plants that aren't too big.
Though I guess I could get 3-4 species together depending on the origin of the crab species I choose.
>>
>>3239051
being a biomefag kills creativity when it comes to aquascaping and stocking so no.
>>
>>3239188
it limits options, but creativity can still be explored in the design
>>
Starting to get stressed out over my little 5 gallon endler tank at my office. Used to have 8 endler males in there
>1 tiny runt one didn't make the transition and died within a week of being introduced
Came in on a Monday day to find his half eaten body in the middle of the tank
>2 months smooth sailing
>one seemingly healthy one just vanishes without a trace and then there were 6
Never saw him again. He had my favorite color pattern. Did a big water change because I figured he was rotting somewhere
>tiny little straggler is always hanging out alone, scouring the bottom and eating with the shrimp
After 2 months of this I figured he was fine.
>came in today and hes fucking vanished too

I'd be less concerned if they just died obviously, instead they just go MIA permanently. And it's a tiny tank so it weirds me out.
>>
>>3239212
your coworker is abducting them
>>
>>3239213
I suspect the shrimp are carrying the carcasses off into the java moss after the other fish get their share. Spooky little fuckers
>>
>>3239188
More like it makes you do research instead of showing random shit together.
>>
File: 15783748798934.jpg (32 KB, 636x773)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>3239292
Must follow strict guidelines for aquarium
>>
>>3239300
>i have no argument so i'll post a shitty reddit meme
>>
File: 159384873927588538.png (10 KB, 233x216)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>3239304
Must consult internet
internet tell me what to do with my aquarium
>>
>>3239292
This. I've always wanted to do a biotope, aiming for a specific ideal form of an environment is fun and a fantastic challenge
>>
>>3239300
>>3239306
Based
Fuck rules. I'll feed my fish cum if I want to
>>
>>3239306
Post your tank
>>
File: Goldfish_Bowl_lg.jpg (20 KB, 430x328)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>3239412
>>
File: 16597399829874.png (73 KB, 1006x813)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>3239412
>post your tank
>>
>sheds tear
Ah the aquarium days...
>*SIP*
>>
will an amazon sword die if i keep it in a tiny terra cotta pot with root tabs?
>>
I'm a cheap fuck so I don't want to buy a co2 system. Do any of you have experience with liquid co2/tablets? Do they work? Also how much will the ph drop? And how can i counteract that? My tank is 15 gallons and ph at the moment is 6.8 and it shouldn't be any lower
>>
>>3239415
That's for noobs...now this is a fish tank l.
>>
File: sUkq4bi.jpg (724 KB, 1536x2048)
724 KB
724 KB JPG
Any reef guys here?
>>
File: Perfection.png (561 KB, 1080x555)
561 KB
561 KB PNG
>>3239412
Jealous?
>>
>>3239051
What's the point? The fish aren't fooled.
>>
>>3239517
>The fish aren't fooled.
disagree
>>
>>3239519
Fish are dumb as hell there's no way they can tell, you can put a fish in bare tank, no substrate, no decorations and as long as the water is clean and they're getting fed they don't give a fuck.
>>
>>3239497
Based and protectionpilled
>>
>>3239051
My tank is a biome tank, specifically the local creek, lol.
>>
>>3239540
Based and thriftypilled
>>
File: IMG_20200103_213739.jpg (2.21 MB, 2976x3968)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
>>3239465
Dunno about other brands but I tried tetra's liquid co2 in my 15g and it did absolutely jackshit. Ended up biting the bullet and got myself a chink co2 system for 10k jpy. Working wonders and goes a bit over 2 months between refills.
>>
>>3239500
used to be, but my ex-fiance's mom allowed the death of my 30g cube while we were on vacation. there's a reason I used "ex" in reference to her.
>>
>>3239576
how bad was the damage
also how bad was the fight about it
>>
>>3239577
>how bad was the damage
"the death of my 30g cube"
Thousands of dollars in coral and fish lost

>also how bad was the fight about it
"there's a reason I used "ex" in reference to her."
we were on the outs, went on vacation to relax together a bit, I came home to my pride and joy clouded and dead because of her idiot mom. relationship. over.
>>
>>3239580
Qrd?
>>
File: 20200114_083559_80.jpg (2.75 MB, 3328x2496)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
Can anyone help me ID these plants?
>>
File: 20200114_083619_80.jpg (2.88 MB, 3328x2496)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>>3239683
>>
File: 20200114_083626_80.jpg (2.73 MB, 3328x2496)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
>>3239684
This one too. This one I found outside, in a public lake, in central FL.
>>
>>3239683
>>3239684
Hygrophilia. Corymbosa or Polysperma?
>>3239686
Water wisteria
>>
>>3239580
Why would you trust your "pride and joy" to someone who doesn't know anything about reef keeping and how was it your exe's fault when the inevitable happened?
>>
>>3239690
I will look those up. Thank you.
>>
>>3239517
>>3239523
To me it's immensely satisfying to recreate a cubic meter of nature.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg.cf.jpg (33 KB, 500x376)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>3237129
its shaping up anon
next you should add some floaters, a dwarf water lily would look good imo. Also some leaf litter for tannins and to fill the space
>>
>>3239612
>>3239692
y'all want way too many details on a catalyst action. shit was already bad, then shit got massively worse, relationship over.
>>
>>3239692
>Why would you trust your "pride and joy" to someone who doesn't know anything about reef keeping
Because when you don't have any other options, you have to leave your tank in the care of SOMEONE or just expect it to be dead when you get home from being away for a couple weeks
>>
>>3239762
You could have just hired professionals to take care of it, but considering that you're just here to attentionwhore with your shitty sob story I can safely assume that you aren't a very bright person to begin with and never even considered options outside of your close acquaintances.
>>
>>3239764
loooooool right, I had money to hire a professional. also, nigga asked for other reef people, I responded. clearly he and I are the only reef people in here :p
>>
>>3239761
that's fair
>>
I have a strange problem. I've tested my tap water and it comes out at a 7.4 pH. On both my tanks, they test at 8.2 pH. I have natural wood and granite rocks in both, one has a CaribSea super natural sand bottom and the other has a Flourite bottom. Both are advertised not to affect pH, but I just did a full water change last night in my un-stocked aquarium, it tested right at 7.4, and today I re-tested and it's at 8.2.
Any idea what would cause pH to raise like that?
>>
>>3239820
could be some part of the water chemistry changing as it evaporates or is otherwise consumed by the aquarium? My water will come out at 7.4 but drop to below 7 after a day or two. I've heard of various causes for stuff like this but dont know any real science on it
>>
>>3239690
Does anyone know any water plants I could harvest from the wild in the Pacific Northwest?
>>
File: homey.gif (178 KB, 375x375)
178 KB
178 KB GIF
>>3239765
>has 30g cube saltwater tank, which is inherently expensive
>has "thousands of dollars in coral and fish"
>can afford to take a couple week vacation
>had "no money" to hire someone to take care of his "pride and joy"
ok retard
>>
>>3239500
That's pretty cool, how much would a set up like this cost?
>>
>>3239500
Soon, ive got an ai prime laying around, waiting until I move to get everything else up off the ground
>>
Anyone have any idea when the next $1/gallon aquarium sale at petco is? It seems like it has been such a long time since they've done it and only now do I want another tank.
>>
>>3239910
They just had it a week or two, might still be going
>>
>>3239910
was still going in VA a week ago, probably around tax return time they'll do it again tho
>>
>>3236585
If you don't have at least 10 aquariums and a couple of ponds can you even call yourself and hobbyist? For me no
>>
>>3239910
Right now. Website still has the lower prices. The local store seems to think it ends the 20th, no idea how accurate that is.
>>
>>3239843
Milfoil. Shit's everywhere.
>>
>>3239423
I wish people would stop using these meme reactions instead of talking, this is /an, not some meme board. Just makes you look like a retard
>>
>>3239920
>people can't enjoy things casually or obsess a lot about few things
>>
>>3239910
still going till february. at least hre in florida. got my 20 gal last saturday
>>
>>3239910
It's only for 10, 20 tall, 20 long and 29 gallon tanks now, kinda worthless IMO.
>>
>>3239843
Why not go outside and see for yourself?
>>
>>3239845
this anon has no idea what living in debt is like
>>
>>3240110
>living in debt
>several week long vacation
no wonder you'd be in debt
>>
>>3240112
>>several week long vacation
yup, part of that relationship. she drove spending. I'm not a spineless cuck, so I ended that shit. she chose spending over a sane household.
>>
>aquariums aren't filling the void anymore
fuck
>>
Where do you find out about the right water parameters for your fish? I found 4 sources with 4 different results for endler guppies
>>
>>3238506
Wow. Nine unique answers. Just goes to show that if you can provide an adequate living space, no fish is a meme.
>>
>>3240130
I usually trust seriouslyfish, but for endler's you're probably getting different results because they're pretty darn adaptable and hardy.
>>
>>3239503
Ten to one odds this belongs to a Chinese person.
>>
>>3240121
That's because you don't have shrimp yet.
>>
>>3240096
40s and 55s are half off instead of dollar per gal, so ~$10 more, but still a huge discount.
>>
>>3240154
no i do
>>
>>3240167
clearly not enough
>>
File: 1568947533604.jpg (98 KB, 600x350)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>want blue bolts
>my supplier is always low stocked
>instant they restock there gone with in the week
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
>>
>>3240189
call them regularly? ask them when their stock days are? order online? they're only ~$5/each online for A grade
>>
File: 20191023_094929.jpg (760 KB, 1080x1034)
760 KB
760 KB JPG
>>3240203
In the UK and only really one place I trust to supply me also the cheapest. Its also more about the fact I have to be at home during the fews days they ship and arrive in less then 24 hours
>>
>>3240211
>ship and arrive in less then 24 hours
that's a recipe for dead shrimp unless you're getting them straight out of the bag. that's multiple water transitions for those shrimp in a short period, very stressful
>>
>>3240212
>being in a ever increasing shit filled and colder bag for more then a day
also who the fuck ships shrimp and or fish in different water then the tank there in? literally never heard anyone do this
>>
>>3240213
shrimp into bag -> into LFS' water, then rebagged -> your water
>>
>>3240215
thats one transition? into a multi hour long acclimation period
>>
>>3240216
apparently you missed the:
SOURCE -> LFS -> YOURS
part

Two full transitions, plus transportation. It's incredibly stressful on shrimp. This is why Flip Aquatics has a 30 day quarantine period before they sell anything.
>>
>>3240219
oh sorry. im buying from an actual breeder. the reason there out of stock is because there waiting for breeding
>>
>>3240221
ooohhhhh, I did NOT realize that, I thought they were importing. my apologies
>>
>>3240224
its all good anon. sorry for the confusion
>>
Pretty sure I fucked up my small shrimp tank, only around 2-4 or so adult ones left, saw one baby.

Probably was in the time when I wasn't doing jackshit with it for some months because I was having some troubles.
Emberrasing how much detritus I had.
Also maybe less oxigen in the tank due to my pump not working.

I need to repent, and maybe jack up the pH a bit.
Sulawesi inland shrimp after all.
>>
File: IMG_2606.jpg (1.55 MB, 3262x1745)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
>>3240334
Pic related, though it's rather old, 2019 or 2018 maybe, before trimming the growth.
May even completely overhaul it, add some nicer and better suited plants as well.

May use Marsilea crenata, native to Java for example, so at least somewhat close to Sulawesi I guess.
>>
>>3240163
90s as well in my local petco
>>
>>3236566
I bought 12 orange Cherry Shrimp about 18 months ago. Some of them didnt survive the introduction to a new tank, but the majority did.
I have done about 2 major and one minor culling since then, numbering somewhere around +300 to 400 culled. I took out those who lost their colours, and became clear, or showed other colour mutations. The shrimp at large numbers also became so hungry they kept swimming onto my fish to eat their slime coating.
>some of my fish died from literal constipation as the shrimp shells clogged their colon, and still the shrimp swam up to them
At one point during cleanup, I accidentally dropped my lamp in the tank, the sharp metal edge on the lamp cover cracked the glass, that was a huge fucking mess.
I was left with Four large Shrimp when that happened about 8 months ago, I am close to 100 individuals again.
I plan to cull the population again at the start of February, and introduce some new blood in there.
Ever since the genetic bottleneck from 4 individuals, more and more clear bodied shrimp have appeared, and even though those are aesthetically pleasing as well, I wish for the shrimp to keep their vibrant colours.

I'm thinking about freezing the shrimp and using them as Ice Fishing bait, or use them as fish feed for my planned Future tank with bigger fish.
Cherry shrimp are awesome, but the speed at which they breed can be a pain
>>
File: IMG_20200116_011147_copy.jpg (288 KB, 1333x1000)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
My pretty nifty looking 15G is no more, I couldn't get the (too big) crypto back in as I wanted after moving it. Normally it's now in it's final resting place, so I hopefully don't have to do that much fuckery again, but I'm still a bit bummed.
OTOH, around July I dropped 2 small pieces of some plant a shrimp seller put in the bag in a small jar, and I could now use trimmings from that to fill in the empty space. Still have half a jar left too.
>murky because of old clay balls and me messing around with the substrate again
>>
File: IMG_20200116_011222_copy.jpg (289 KB, 1333x1000)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>3240889
>>
File: _DSC0021.jpg (215 KB, 1576x1000)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>3240891
Gonna try breeding my chili rasbora too, I wonder how that'll go. The previous owners left me a 5 gallon tank, and I got another ~6 gallon for free from a colleague that I don't really have plans for at the moment. Plenty of leftover plants and mosses I'm keeping in icecream boxes n such.
>>
File: IMG_20200113_220638.jpg (2.41 MB, 3968x2976)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
Red phantoms are cute.
CUTE
>>
>>3240895
I haven't had much luck breeding them in anything smaller than a 10g.
>>
Did aqadvisor die or something?
>>
>>3241026
Why do you post this all the time? Are you farming for clicks?
>>
>>3241061
Farming for clicks for a dead website? Genius plan my man. I also haven't been on this general in months since I got my tank established. I'd rather ask you faggots than the boomers on fishlore.
>>
>>3241061
That doesn't even make sense.
>>
I've given up on the idea to get my planted tanks snail free, but there has to be a better way to get rid of excess snails than manually removing each one
I've spent 4 days now removing almost 70 malaysian Trumpet Snails one by one with my tweezers.
>ranging from size from almost 3cm to a little bigger than a grain of sand
When can I expect to have to do this removing thing again so their population doesnt get out of hand?

I tried holding a blanched slice of sweet potato and carrot as bait to draw them out, but that resulted in only one snail this morning, and I didnt observe my Otocats being interested in those foods at all.
My Otocats are not interested in carrots, sweet potato or zucchini. What would you recommend I try next for my Otos?
>>
>>3241158
Assassin snails might help. They assassinate snails.
>>
>>3241160
I've been after those for a while. I have two LFS where I live, both have them in stock, but the other one have them looking like walking tufts of BBA, which I do not want to introduce into my tank, and the other one asks for absurd prices.
>>
File: 20200114_132355 (2).jpg (817 KB, 3337x1988)
817 KB
817 KB JPG
>>3241158
The less excess food in the tank, the less snails will breed. That said, they're probably already competing with the otos for algae. Lots of different DIY snail traps you could try. For feeding the ottos, try blanched spinach or buy some algae wafers.

Pretty sure my bois got a gob full of bebes.
>>
I just saw dwarf puffers on sale for the first time ever (australia). Fuckin' $200 each.

We've got bigger native puffers but they're brackish and aggressive.
>>
Hello, fish friends. I’m stocking a 29 gallon and I want to know if I should stock it with sparkling gourami, scarlet badis, or ruby tetras. Those are the only three I’m interested in, and I want only want one species populating the tank.
>>
>>3241158
>>3241168
I started to move my decor rocks around and found a massive buildup of dead Nymphaea Lotus leaves between them.
I started another waterchange to remove it all, and found what I can only describe as a swarming nest of Malaysian Trumpet Snails.
Ever since my first post, I have been cleaning my tank thoroughly and have removed about 50 snails.
That is about 120 snails in four days.
I will keep this deep cleaning up for at least couple of days more, and then have a little break not to stress out my fish too much with my hands and tweezers constantly moving around in their enviroment.

The mulm in my sand substrate unfortunately got released into the water, and I am afraid its affecting my water quality enough to warrant another waterchange today.

This maintenance work is very rewarding though.
>>
File: cabezón.jpg (92 KB, 900x1600)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>3238414
Yes I did, used water from my 37 litre tank.
As for the >rescued, we went to the store to buy food for my gf's lovebirds and we saw the little guy, asked if he was all right and the employee, very politely told us that they most likely were going to euthanise him and if we wanted, he coul give him to us for free.
He's currently healthy, added catappa leaves to his tank and some plants, he's active, reacts to stimuli and eats well.

That's the story and all I was asking is for a little advice.
>>
File: IMG_20200109_141729.jpg (2.24 MB, 3120x4160)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
I never see my cambarellus eat (only had them for a week) and they are always hiding, actually never seen more than once at a time so I'm not even sure there are two. Should i be worried? What can I do? Pic related is one of them
>>
>>3241294
Only on 4chan people will give you shit for trying to do the right thing
>>
File: 51GL4NGkdrL._SX466_.jpg (41 KB, 466x336)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>3235686
What's the best centerpiece fish for a 20 high? I'll probably go with pic related but it would be nice to hear other options. Also post your favorite centerpiece fish
>>
Any guess what this is? Local pet store has it, apparently someone got it from a different pet store and donated it when it started getting big.
>>
>>3241396
Looks like a Bichir wouldn't be able to tell you the exact species though.
Definitely not a beginner fish.
>>
>>3241392
last time I had a male dwarf gourami, it attacked anything if could find. Even the female dwarf gouramis.
in the darkness it used its feeler fins to find something to unleash its agression to, and kept attacking its tankmates day and night.
I tried rearranging the tank to throw it off, took it out for weeks to calm it down.
When I finally decided that it wasnt community tank material and placed into its own tank, it kept attacking its own reflection, and caved in its own mouthparts so badly it could no longer eat.

So if you get one, at least get a female, they're far more docile
>>
>>3241392
>>
>>3241400
What the fuck was his problem?
>>
>>3241392
I've always been more partial to schooling fish
If you can find clown killifish near you i'd put a school of 10-15 in a 20 high
>>
File: 20191015_141102.jpg (916 KB, 2303x1778)
916 KB
916 KB JPG
>>3241401
They're best in a group. But yeah, they're gorgeous.

Pair of wild bettas works too.
>>
File: zqjp63kqgow31.jpg (52 KB, 500x649)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>3241400
I think that gourami might have been the only instance of that ever happening
>>
File: 20200115_124917.jpg (2.44 MB, 4128x3096)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>3241373
worst part of it all is that now somehow I am a Petsco shill or some shit.

Anyways, here are some happy platy fry
>>
>>3241396
Probably an endlicheri bichir or something similar. They're not really beginner fish but they're not exactly difficult either. A 120 gal or so should be able to fit one or two.
>>
>>3241373
Anon probably thought that guy bought the fish and then called it "rescuing" him.
>>
>>3241525
Yeah but it's already been established earlier in the thread that that was not the case. There's no excuse for not reading the replies to a poster you're gonna harass
>>
>>3236714
Is it hard/possible to breed them?
>>
>>3241527
Anon didn't say anything about not having bought the fish before this guy >>3238414 said what he said, only after the fact.
>>
>>3241530
Not hard, but you have to dry the eggs out and then wet them again for them to hatch, that's not an optional step.
>>
>>3240991
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
>>
>>3241252
The stuff that kills planaria also kills snails.
Might spike ammonia though if you have a lot, so I'd try a diy trap or something first to get rid of the majority, and then use a chemical to eliminate the leftovers & eggs.
Bleach dip (google it) every new plant/decor that has seen water you place in the tank.
>>
>>3241175
>$200 each
What the actual fuck. At least you got cool native life though?
>>
>>3241534
Not true, he mentioned it first in

>>3237659
>>
>>3241175
$200?
They're from India so you're even closer than the US.
At pet shops here they range from $3-$15.
Australian tariffs on animals that fucked?
>>
I know that green fire tetras stay pretty high in the tank and bolivian rams are pretty low
But I'm shocked the tetras are breeding and actually surviving without the rams gobbling them up
>>
>>3241601
They used to be illegal in Australia AFAIK, so maybe they're just taking advantage of their presumably newly legal status. Or maybe they're just selling illegal fish, who knows.
>>
>>3241396
Fuck, Bichirs are so cool, but I don't have the room for a 100+gal for them.
>>
Alright lads, just noticed some eggs in my tank. Only realised they were there because my single ram is being territorial around them, acting as if they are his own. I think they're almost definitely cory eggs, but what is my ram playing at?
>>
>>3242366
Never mind. He's eating them and wants them all to himself.
>>
>>3242384
kek
>>
>>3242384
lol, typical
>>
>>3242366
Just got in from work and they're all gone. Oh well, at least I know the cories are happy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.