[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Before asking questions in this thread, do a bit of searching online to see if it has been answered already.
Make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
>https://modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Articles and Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
>https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
>http://www.scotcat.com/
>https://www.loaches.com/species-index
>http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
>https://aquaticarts.com/
>https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/
>https://www.aquariumplants.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Check on ebay or aquabid.

Old thread: >>3101366
>>
Related story from OP, I once had three hogchokers (a brackish type of flounder), but they all died for unknown reasons. This was a few years back when i was retarded, probably died cause of the sharp gravel. Anyways apparently I can go out and catch some hogchokers at the inlets around me, so might try keeping them again.
>>
File: minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>
>>3107261
Who keeps flatfish in an aquarium?
>>
File: 20190809_211706.jpg (3.02 MB, 4032x3024)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
>>3107261
Why is my fish shitting a web?
>>
File: _20190809_220727.jpg (53 KB, 614x598)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Threw in my first zoathind I got for cheap from my local rundown fish store. Just took a couple hours but now its got a spot and opened up.
>>
>>3107306
Parasites probably.
>>
File: 20190806_212200.jpg (3.52 MB, 4032x3024)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
Rate my tank pls
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSlQs9wPud0
are khulis supposed to get this fat?
only ever saw them at the store size, and I have lots of un used space on a new tank so was considering getting them, started to do some research about the care and while looking for videos I found this, I should expect mine to get like this or it should be a sign to worry? find it cute either way but I want to know what a healthy looking adult should look like to know if I'm doing a good job or not
>>
>>3107419
he thicc
>>
>>3107419
a gravid female?
>>
Does anyone have info or experience if its possible to grow live food in the tank with fish? Sort of like an ecosystem, that there is live food which will be eaten by the fish but not exterminated.
>>
>>3107830
Nothing that's even remotely sustainable. If adult guppies or shrimp don't get eaten other tank inhabitants can snack on their offspring, but don't expect any to make it to adulthood in such a case.
>>
>>3107832
Is that because its basically way too many fish we usually put in an aquarium or why is it not sustainable? Like if it was 5 fish in a 1000l tank then it would work but 30 fish just eat too much?
>>
>>3107396
>inb4 palytoxins kill you during a fragging session
In all seriousness though, finally a fucking salt post
>>
>>3107851
Nobody is stopping you from talking about or posting salt water tanks man. They are just harder to keep and fucking pricy; a lot of people would rather start simple.

I personally don't like the way the salt tanks look because the colors seem dull to me, but the fish themselves I find pretty interesting.
>>
>>3107830
You would probably have to have a large tank, planted more heavily than normal with whatever environment the food lives in, and few enough predators that they couldn't eat them before they are able to breed and continue the cycle.

But that's going to be difficult because one single fish can eat a LOT in a day, let alone a week or month, or however long it takes the prey to hatch.

You have to get a prey item that readily breeds, breeds in huge numbers, and fast. And then you will also have to help it's chances out further, like maybe a paludarium type set-up with springtails or something that can breed in a muddy part of the tank where the fish can't necessarily get to easily.
>>
>>3107417
Very nice. That sand is going to be a bitch to clean though.
>>
>>3107396
Pretty cool
>>
File: _20190810_115435.jpg (81 KB, 841x700)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>3107851
They have better color now and seem to really like the high flow in my tank. I'm well aware of toxins and have heavy duty rubber gloves for when I do frag. For now I plan to stock corals from the rundown fish store.
>>
What would you do with a 9x 10G setup? I built it when I had my first episode of MTS in the hobby and then realized that you can breed much using it apart from shrimp.
>>
File: resize.png (3.09 MB, 1210x908)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB PNG
>>
File: resize1.png (2.79 MB, 1210x908)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB PNG
>>
File: IMG_20190811_042900.jpg (2.74 MB, 4128x3096)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
Woo, my pair of wild types came in and they're getting along nicely
>>
File: Amrai_u0.jpg (77 KB, 640x395)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Is it just me or is this fish completely based?
>>
Post your tanks /an/ons
>>
I believe in Demon Fish.
>>
>>3108066
What do you fishfuckers think of my new tank? Cycled it for a couple weeks with the hardscape and just planted and added fish the other day. Think it’ll grow in well?
>>
>>3108035
>>3108040
Nice

That pleco is gonna turn into a big boy though
>>
>>3108095
It's a bristle nose species, it will probably only grow another inch or two
>>
File: 1564893963091.jpg (132 KB, 1920x886)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>10 blue bolts for £54
AHH SO TEMPTINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
>>
What are some good tankmates for small 4-6" African cichlids? Is it a stupid idea to have one big cichlid in there too or will it kill everything?
>>
>>3108074
Looks good to me, I love those tree looking fuckers
>>
>>3108121
Ooh gotcha. How big is that tank?
>>
File: 20190724_175510.jpg (2.98 MB, 4032x3024)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
This is my tank I started about 2 weeks ago. Native brackish water. About 22 ppt.
>>
>>3108344
It looks a little different now. Switched some fish out, took other stuff out, added as few things. Basically just playing around until I find something that works well and I like.
>>
>>3107419
It's just fat. Nothing wrong with it. I'd be more worried if they were too skinny.
>>
>>3108344
What fish is in there?
>>
File: 20190803_191634-1.jpg (878 KB, 2971x1683)
878 KB
878 KB JPG
So from this tank (which is ten gallons)
>>
File: 20190810_195329-1.jpg (1.03 MB, 2672x1871)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>3108363
I moved things around and have this little section up here.

Would a small cherry shrimp or two be happy in this little section? Or maybe something smaller like triops or daphnia?

Basically the idea for frogs is out the window because they make noise. And definitely not put a fish there
>>
>>3108366
That piece was on the right before, for size reference.
>>
>>3108366
>Basically the idea for frogs is out the window because they make noise
I don't get why people say this. The constant buzz of filters and the trickle of the water fall is okay, but a frog croaking every once in a while is too much.
>>
>>3108379
I was able to dampen the trickle noise from the tank, but I'm in a studio/cabin with no walls inbetween room space. If I was in a house and the tank wasn't basically in my bedroom, that would be fine.
>>
There is a damn ramshorn snail in my tank that just survived boiling water. I didn't know it was in there and I had a fungus problem (empty tank) so I decided to restart the tank, taking all the water out and pouring boiling water into the small bit that was left. Maybe it was on the plants that I took out and washed off but somehow clung on? Either way it's pulling itself around like it doesn't give a fuck.

On that note can I have snails in a tank that isn't completely full of water? Thinking of just having plants in here and it being only partially full.
>>
File: 9yjm7dmw.jpg (3.22 MB, 4032x3024)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
Bolivian Ram vs German Gold Ram?
I think I may be leaning toward Bolivian
>>
>>3108416
Bolivian would fit with the blackwater theme more.
Also your snail looks like its checking for a place to lay eggs
>>
>>3108417
I think I'll probably go with the Bolivian
And if the snail's babies are albino like the parent I'd be a-okay with it
Not sure how it works and I'm not really an expert on genetics but it'd be neat
>>
>>3108416
bolivian
>looks nicer in brown water
>looks nicer in general
>dabs on germ rams by doubling them in lifespam so you get to enjoy their company longer
>no risk of the petstore trying to sneak a disgsting ballon as a regular one
>>
local store recently imported those seachem tidal filters, never had HoBs because my country has a history with blackouts and didn't want my media to die if it happened while I'm at work, so limited myself to internal filter, does that self filling pump really works on power outages or its just a meme? was planning a new tank and saw their announcement while checking prices
I know no one likes to shill for specific companies but I would appreciate some word of someone that has it or knows that it works from a friend
>>
Would a blood parrot be comfortable in a 29 gallon tank? Dimensions are 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4 inches
>>
>>3108366
Triops definitely get bigger than cherry shrimp.
>>
>>3108049
Breddy cuul. What is it?
>>
>>3108066
No. Just switched from Africans to community. It's not ready yet. Need more plants and a school of cardinals before I'm ready to show it off.
>>
>>3108530
God

Damnit
>>
>>3108341
They are both fluval/hagen tanks. The bow front is 15 gallon and the other is 16 gallon
>>
File: IMG_20190811_211318.jpg (1.73 MB, 2268x2492)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
These good for a 2ftx1ftx1ft 16gallon planted tank?
>>
File: IMG_20190722_092940.jpg (2.95 MB, 3840x2160)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
>>3107396
>>3107851
>>3107920

am i doing good ?
>>
File: Boris.jpg (1.13 MB, 4032x3024)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
50 gallon status:
>3 black crappies
>1 bluegill sunfish
>1 not-yet-identified sunfish
>1 Seminole killifish (six inches!)
>7 blue tilapia (very young)
>2 bullfrog tadpoles
>1 island apple snail (Boris)
Not sure which to keep and which to release to my pond. Looking to create a communitiy "natives" tank.
>>
>>3107417
Those pebbles are eventually gonna disappear
>>
>>3108649
Post a pic of the killifish
>>
>day 15 of cycling aquarium
>0.25ppm ammonia
HURRY UP
>>
>>3108649
Those crappies are going to fuck your tank up when they get bigger
>>
>>3107894
>>3108646
Dang looks nice, I hoping to reach that point eventually. I'm sticking with LPS and zoas for now.
>>
File: Seminole killifish.jpg (745 KB, 4032x3024)
745 KB
745 KB JPG
>>3108739
He's extremely skittish and stays to the back of the school so it's very hard to get a photo of it. The tail was damaged in the wild but doesn't seem to impact his swimming ability much. Not sure if it will heal.
>>
Pretty much done cycling a 20g for an Thai ornada, thoughts on my filtration setup? Currently have a Fluval 30 HOB and a 5.75x6.25 sponge filer (massive I know, I live in a tiny town and it's what they had at the LFS lol).

Water parameters:
Ph 7.4, KH 150, GH 20, 72degrees F
>>
>>3108629
Do you have a reflector?
Otherwise something more directional will probably work better I think.
>>
File: IMG_1603.jpg (1.93 MB, 4032x3024)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
Hello /aq/

I have had small fish for years (neon tetras, and zebra dainos) using a 10 gallon tank.
I have never taken having fish as serious as I should have, but now I would like to try and improve tank quality for them.

So, I have decided to get a 20 gallon tank to give them some more space. What would you guys recommend I add/use to make their life better?
Are there any live aquatic plants you would recommend I should use (for someone who has never had any experience with them?). What type of stuff should i avoid when taking care of small fish?

here is a pic of the 20 gallon tank
>>
>>3108935
Jungle val, guppy grass, anacharis, cambomba are pretty easy plants. I'd recommend schools of at least seven of each fish it really makes them more comfortable. A large piece of driftwood to soften the water and give them some hiding places and for fucks sakes get some different substrate black diamond blasting media is a good cheap dark substrate just wash the shit out of it because your water will be milky if you don't.
>>
>>3108564
Eh, bit small for a pleco I would think, but if you're sure he won't get too much bigger and you're on top of your vacumming. I thought even the clown plecos get like 6-7 inches.
>>
>>3108872
You could always use a cheap razor or some scissors to cut the sponge to the size or shape you need. You can also do what I did, and throw some ceramic media pieces infront of the sponge where the charcoal usually goes, that way if you got something like a barebottom tank and you need to clean the sponge, you're not losing too much of your bacteria colony at one time.
>>
>>3108965
bristlenoses top out at 4 to 5 inches. That one is a lemon blue eyed pleco. I'm not sure its species, but the genus is Ancistrus, here is the wikipedia article to save you a little typing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancistrus

I know they aren't real common some places yet, but some local guy is breeding them and selling them to stores here.
>>
>today is the day of my 30% water change
>my first week I just did a 10% no big deal
>it's a 30 gallon tank so the fact that there's only 4 guppies in it should make it easy to cycle the tank right and stuff shouldnt be very high
>ammonia is less than .25 ppm
>nitrates are between 5-10ppm according to the color chart, not that low but it's not high so good
>nitrites are above 5ppm since the color solution is a dark purple
>wtf.mp4

Good thing I'm doing my water change but holy shit I have 0 idea how that happened All that's in there are 4 guppies, 3 amazon swordgrasses (they're kinda wilted but I've been working hard to save them and I think they're going to recover despite the brown patches on 2 of them) and a few smaller plants.
>>
>>3109033
Oh well that's cool. I always liked the way plecos look, but the adult size always put me off.
>>
>>3109039
Guppies shit a lot man. I had three of them with like five kuhlies in a 20 long, and the amount of crap I still had to clean up every week was unbelievable.
>>
>>3109039
Water change has dropped it so far to around 1 ppm for nitrite and nitrate is close to 0 ppm (not 5ppm not 0 ppm so prob 2-3 ppm given color)

not done with the change yet cause all I got is a 5 gallon bucket so gotta do another treatment but wanted to wait for the temp to stabilize in the tank.

My only regret with this damn tank is that I chose a fine sand for my first ever tank so yay for me making my job harder than necessary
>>
>>3108954
>plants/schools/driftwood/substrate
got it

also one more question, for tetras/danios, is there a preference to what food you should give them? I've been using the food flakes
>>
Are cartridge filters bad?
>>
>>3109115
My tetras eat pretty much anything my gouramis miss i feed mysis shrimp, tropical flakes, hikari micro pellets, and bloodworms i think its okay to feed them a quality flake but giving them a variety is important, you wouldnt want to eat the same tendies everyday.
>>
>>3108528
Anybody have any input on this?
>>
>>3108528
>>3109144
Well think about it. It's going to grow 8-9 inches. At the widest point the tank is 12 inches. It has room to turn around sure, but that' pretty uncomfortable. Plus thirty inches is just a fraction longer than only three lenghths of it's body.

So ot will be living in a room roughly three times as long as it is, and only an extra 4 inches to completely turn around it.

Does that sound comfortable to you?
>>
>>3109128
By cartridge do you mean simply mechanical filters or do you mean mechanical filters that use a cartridge system that you replace every month?

Tbh I wonder why the latter is still being produced. Misinformation sells, I guess.
>>
>>3109179
So i should probably not get the replacement type filters
>>
>>3109185
A regular hang on the back [that usually comes with cartridgea] is fine, just put something like a very well rinsed sponge in it to use as mechanical filtration instead of the cartridges. That will also give your bacteria an extra thing to colonize on.
>>
I have some ADFs in a 10 gallon that's only half filled and has a bunch of Anubias in it. Do I need a filter? I don't plan on getting any fish so don't need surface aeration and heard it bothers the frogs anyway. Just want to keep this a plant tank with the frogs in it really.
>>
>>3108975
I might end up doing that. The Oranda I'm getting is already pretty big (5") and the sponge filter is taking a lot of room.

Wish I had room at my apartment for a 40g breeder so I could have more than one... have to move for work in a few months so hopefully I can get a place with a better layout.

On that note - any tips on transporting big fish like that during moves? I'm planning on driving to the state that I have to go to so I was thinking of keeping the fish in a bucket with a bait tank aerator. Shouldn't be more than 2 days.
>>
>>3109200
samefag but I also put a filter with established media on it just in the tank in the corner. Is that going to do anything?
>>
>>3109185
You never need to replace your filters. If they get scummy and start blocking filtration just wash them off with tank water. Replacing the entire filter = entire colony of bacteria which is eating your ammonia and nitra/ites is gone and has to start anew.
>>
File: 20190811_222844.jpg (3.57 MB, 4032x3024)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB JPG
It's happening...
>>
File: 20190811_223812.jpg (3.81 MB, 4032x3024)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB JPG
>>3109215
>>
If the FBI takes down this site where are we going to shit post about aquariums?
>>
>>3108074
Miyazaki/10
>>
>>3109242
Probably either plantedtank forum or Reddit. I know Reddit sucks, but for the sake of aquariums maybe it'd be okay. That means no more joking about selective breeding/Hitler when discussing cherry shrimp colonies tho
>>
>>3109242
so did infinitychan die for real or its back up again? read their bunker got fucked
>>
>>3109380
currently their web address links to a page to donate to the victims of the El Paso shooting.

They're fucked.
we're next.
>>
>>3109242
bully boomers on reef2reef on their old dated ideas and tech
>>
>>3109382
well shit, guess we can't trust hiro to move the host somewhere else in case a shooter post on /b/, /r9k/ or /pol/
still thats kinda bullshit, I didn't see facebook getting shut down just because the new zealand shooter used their platform
>>
File: fghgfh.png (1.02 MB, 1424x368)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
Guys, I ordered a bunch of Fire Red for breeding purposes, and the seller offered to upgrade to the more expensive Bloody Mary unless I wait 2 weeks.

But according to what I've read, Fire Reds breed true whereas the Bloody Marys don't. So what are the non-BM offspring that bloody marys have? Fire Red? Or something else?
>>
>>3109430
In other words, if I accept the bloody marys, will I eventually end up with a brown shit colony or simply two types of red neocaridinas with the bloody marys being fewer in number? I have enough tanks that I can split up the offspring based on grades.

Greatly appreciate any help you can give me so I can answer the seller with a decision soon.
>>
>>3109430
>>3109436
According to this chart Fire Red and Bloody Marys are completely different lines.

I still wonder what the cullable Bloody Marys are though. Just brown?
>>
>>3109442
Iirc bloody mary carry their pigmentation in their carapace and leave behind red sheds. Where with cherry the red is in their body. Genetics are completely different.
>>
File: fgs.jpg (216 KB, 1000x1060)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
The endler that hitchhiked with the shrimp I bought has colored up nicely in the 3 weeks since I got it.
Do you think it's male or female? Does this color have a name?
>>
>>3109222
Looks comfy, I’d live in there
>>
>>3109514
It’s a male, females have this noticeable black spot and fat belly, also males are always prettier
>>
>>3109390
Sounds comfy
>>
My pond loach has become very bloated almost overnight, and is passing a ton of air through his cloaca. I am really worried, is there anything I can do for him?
>>
>>3109590
Forgot to me to mention my water, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5.0 nitrate. Water pH is 7.

The other loaches look fine
>>
Thinking about buying some killifish eggs on aquabid. Anyone have a good info source on hatching and growing them out? Google wasn't incredibly helpful.
>>
>>3109660
I've been eying them too so I'd really like some info on them as well
>>
>>3109039
Maybe there's a lot of decaying debree or plant matter in your filter?
>>
>>3109200
Thats not that many plants though
Algae grow a lot better without water movement so yes, get a filter.
>>
>>3109740
That's what I was thinking as well, decaying plant matter.
>>
File: IMG-20190812-WA0016.jpg (677 KB, 4128x2322)
677 KB
677 KB JPG
Hi /aq/ got this little guy a little while ago with some aquarim plants.
I think I got some egg or larvae because now there are more.
Any idea what might be?
I think it may be a nerite
>>
>>3109865
bladder snail
>>
>>3109740
>>3109807
Aw shit man that would explain it. some of the plants were struggling and now I've saved them more or less and they're doing much better but damn if that's the reason I'll have to pull some of the more dead ones out then use plastic cause I'm not dropping another bunch of money on plants again. Not what I want to do but dammit.
>>
File: _DSC0032.jpg (218 KB, 1200x721)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>3109531
Thanks!
>>
>>3109866
thanks Anon!
Should I be worried?
Do they breed out of control?
>>
>>3109921
They will breed and depending on your stocking they may go out of control. What fish are in your tank?
>>
File: IMG-20190804-WA0012.jpg (204 KB, 1600x1200)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>3109924
currently there are two platys, male and female.
I think the female is carrying eggs.
It's a pretty small tank about 10 litres but I'm planning on buying a bigger aquarium next week 37.7 litres
>>
File: 20190812_200328.jpg (3.14 MB, 4032x3024)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB JPG
How BLACKED is too blacked...
>>
>>3109932
Platies will eat them, especially if you don't feed for a few days.
>>
File: IMG_20190812_201422_228.jpg (1.51 MB, 2411x2411)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
It doesnt have ay animals but heres a mason jar aqua garden with a cool rock and cardinal plant i made today
>>
>>3108359
I currently have
1 summer flounder
1 sea robin (northern i think)
1 hermit crab
1 spider crab
2 northern kingfish
5 spadefish
couple of mussels
1 oyster

at other various points in the last couple weeks i had a few pompano, speckled trout, bluefish, pipefish, oystertoads, inshore lizardfish, pinfish, spotfin majarra, northern puffer, stargazer and a blenny. all juveniles of course
>>
File: tank.jpg (3.06 MB, 4032x3024)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
>>3108359
this is the current look. still figuring out what i want to do in there, would be nice to get some eel grass growing or find a nice chunk of oyster shell to give it some vertical structure.
>>
File: tank (2).jpg (1.58 MB, 2903x3871)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>3108359
of course it posts sideways
>>
is it safe to mix any variety of tetras together? are there some tetras that don't get along with others? i have a school of neons in a 20g planted tank and want to get some other fish.
>>
File: IMG_4202.jpg (79 KB, 750x563)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>Reddit
>>
>>3110059
That depends on the fish you wanna get my niggy
>>
>>3110065
Kek
>>
Is ADA memesoil really worth it? what's some good cheaper alternatives.
>>
File: 1548755409886.png (11 KB, 645x773)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>3110065
>>
>>3110035
we need to go blacker
>>
Anyone else get stupid dreams of messed up nasty aquariums or their fish escaping and swimming in air?
>>
>>3110143
Yes, actually. Even the fish swimming in air thing. And the aquariums are usually so dirty because they are terribly overcrowded with fish I don't own.
>>
>>3110143
I have a reoccurring dream that my aquariums explode
>>
>>3110066
black skirt tetras? do they get along with neons?
>>
>>3110065
>humane way to kill blood sucking disease spreader
>>
>>3109442
what the other anon said is pretty much true about there colour but its extremely rare for (S) rated shrimp to just have (B) Shrimplets but if you do notice any you should just trade in at local fish store or into another tank
>>
>>3110117
Basically everyone says ada is the bees knee but at the time most shrimp breeders with just use fluval stratum which is pretty good for basically any caridina for 2 years
>>
>>3108649
Unless your pond is fuckhuge enough to support a pike as an apex predator, your crappies will hoover everyone's fry and the pond will become a monoculture. Crappies can even keep Large Mouth Bass from thriving if you let them get established before the bass.
>>
>>3110143
I have nightmares about heater malfunctions and boiled fish
>>
>>3110237
I lost a 60 gallon amazon biotype to this. I now only keep fish that will survive in the ambient conditions of my home.
>>
>>3110241
what literal Chinese piece of garbage did you buy which could heat up past its own limit with out you noticing
>>
>introduced some cherry shrimp to my RO/DI which only remineralized with GH+
>they were at the time I got them and assumed the difference in water made them drop there eggs
>nope they actually managed to birth
They got me good
>>
>>3110053
>hermit crab

Oh boy

Ok, I don't mean to be a dick, but you might want to return yhe hermit crab.

They need land, things to climb on, and they are social and live in groups. Here"s a basic careguide:

https://www.hermit-crabs.com/care.html
>>
>>3110143
Yeah. Had one where a dog I hated in grade school breaking the glass of the tank and eating my fish.
I couldn't even kill it in revenge because it was made of rubber...
>>
>>3109879
Real plants are great though, pleasw don't give up. You can get something hardy like anubias or java fern and propagate them when they get large instead of buying many.
Also. What kind of substrate do you have?
>>
>>3110283
Can attest to this.

Java fer grows like a mother. I didn't put any soild or anything in my tank, basically barebottom, but I still have five seperate plants from my one original. They are at differrent stages, two of them are nice and big and bushy, the other one's still a bit small, but they'll be big soon.
>>
>>3110287
Yeah, they're pretty neat. I got one and basically ignored it, now it's three plants.
The java fern loves being tied to rocks or driftwood, just use some thread for that. It also loves being trimmed so cut off old and damaged growth.

For the rest you should get some substrate, don't get sand as it suffocates the roots, gravel is cheap and ok. Aquarium soil (looks like little black balls) is great, my amazon sword loves it, but it survived just fine in gravel too.
And if you get fertilizer don't follow the instructions on the back, it's often waaay too much. Just one pump a week makes a huge difference from none.
>>
>>3110290
Well I got the java fern mostly for my fish bevause more and more I prefer barebottom or tiled bottom with some large stones and wood that is easy to vaccuum.

I juat really hate how much shit gets in the sand/soil, or the landscape getting messed up.

The snail moved a stone occassionally, but otherwise things stay neat and tidy. This is the only thing I allow myself to be ocd with and I want it neat.
>>
>>3108646
Why keep damsel if you are farming coral? Or is that something else? Also what lighting do you use and what types of colors do you use, ie mostly blues with uv or a mixture of blues with white and green/red mixed in?
>>
Recommended 100 watt heater?
>>
>>3110292
>I juat really hate how much shit gets in the sand/soil, or the landscape getting messed up.
Alright, that actually makes sense.
I have fish that skitter around enough to kick up the waste, so I directed the current from the pump to collect most of it in one corner which makes it easier.
Just tying the plants to rocks and keeping the tank bare bottom sounds like a great alternative.

The amazon swordgrass gets a huge root system so I'm not sure how that will do without substrate.
Since you have three, maybe you could "quarantine" them in a tray with some gravel? They feed at the roots so you probably wouldn't even need to vacuum around them.

Oh, and I saw you said they had some brown spots. They can't heal their leaves so just cut damaged growth off.
>>
File: IMG_20190813_080704.jpg (3.87 MB, 4032x3024)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB JPG
I've been working on removing all this mulm from my tank with a turkey baster and its the most long ass unproductive process ever.

I was thinking about doubling the depth of my substrate anyway. Can I just pour more sand and lock the mulm in the substrate, effectively turning it into fertilizer? Was going to add some more plants. Plant suggestions welcome. Currently winning the algae battle slowly.
>>
>>3110275
8/8
>>
>>3110275
Nice bait, almost fell for it
>>
>>3110052
Pretty neat, bruh
>>
>>3110434
>>3110379
plz explain
>>
>>3110256
Tetra 200w. This was almost 15 years ago, the heater was at least 8 years old when it failed. I was pretty up on managing the biological aspects of the tank but admittedly wasn't and am not very up on managing the physical equipment.
>>3110369
If you've got something that stirs your bottom, it will escape and remuddy your bottom and if you don't it will create hydrogen sulfide gas pockets.
>>
>>3110450
The retard(you?) assumed that the guy had a Coenobita, which are the terrestrial hermit crabs usually sold in pet stores. Considering that the dude with the brackish tank has native species, it should be safe to say that he caught them himself and owns a species of hermit crab that is fully aquatic.
>>
File: image0.jpg (1.2 MB, 3024x4032)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
Well hello there
>>
>>3110470
Post his home
>>
File: image0.jpg (1.98 MB, 4032x3024)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>3110475
Hope they enjoy it
>>
>>3110463
Ah, I see. It wasn't me, I just know jack shit about crabs.
>>
File: image0.jpg (2.5 MB, 4032x3024)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
>>3110470
Released....
>>
>>3109660
Just shoot the seller a message. Most of the ones I've emailed have went above and beyond to educate me.
>>
File: 1524025827410.jpg (156 KB, 600x1227)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>3110379
>>3110434
>>3110463

Ok I actually do feel like a dumbass. I legit thought there was only one type of hermit crab, my bad.
>>
>>3110331
I think you're talking to two different anons, but not bad ideas nonetheless.

I have tried keeping little containers with gravel, but they are almost more of a pain in the ass to clean, because if you want to vaccuum then, the gravel get's out of the container and you disturb the roots which end up on top, then you just have to replant the whole thing.
>>
Today I was in aqua shop.
In the tank with Jumbie tetas, on the bottom there was an organism in the rocks, which looked like bunch of tiny purple tentacles that were moving. It was "coming" from under the rocks. The whole cluster was less than inch wide. It struck me because the water flow didn't look strong enough to move it back and forth like that. Not far from it was another one that was less burrowed, it looked like a ball of the tentacles. The tentacles were very tiny and purple. What the fuck was that thing?
>>
>>3110569
Sounds like they were doing a feeding and dropped in a ball of bloodworms.
>>
>>3110564
It's okay, Anon. Education is the purpose of this general.
>>
File: 1564972264286.png (1.83 MB, 1440x1506)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
>>3110581
In the funnest way possible too

Shoving it right up my ass
>>
>>3110585
I legit thought you were baiting.
>>
>>3110595
I legit thought there was only one type of hermit crab lol

But anyway, back to aquariums
>>
I want to a tank of cephalopods and quinoa. Moatly just coral polyps. Bur how do i stimulate the ebb and flow tides?
>>
>>3110602
Wavemakers
>>
>>3110619

Establé?
>>
About to buy my first aquarium. How can I actually plan my plant setup?
>>
>>3110623
https://tropica.com/en/plants/
Best resource for all your aquarium plant needs.
Don't be afraid to order plants you can't find locally either. I've had a few problems ordering fish online but never plants.
>>
I feel like an idiot, when I got my first aquarium and got the plants I didn’t even think of separating the clumps and just plopped the whole thing right in
>>
When you first put in Dwarf Gourami are they usually so skittish and nervous of you? Mine hides behind plants every time I get near. Is that normal? I assume after a while they get used to the new envoronment and tank.
>>
File: 20190813_133140-min.jpg (1.65 MB, 5312x2984)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
Any reason to change water if ammonia, 'trites and 'trates are always in check?
Pic related, this is always 0ppm for all 3 so I don't fucking touch it anymore besides top-offs and stealing trimmings so I don't ruin it.
>>
>>3110745
Anythig that doesn't evaporate will build up over time
>>
>>3110699
Picture?
>>
>>3110745
Yes, minerals and salt will build up over time, plus the ph will change.

This won't kill everything immediately, but it will make everything sick and eventually, if never corrected, provide a slow and painful death.
>>
>>3110745
Probably still a good idea to vaccuum the shit off the bottom cause that can be a breeding ground for bad bacteria, but since you dont really have to do water changes you can just do the quick vaccuums every so often to keep the bottom fairly clean while still keeping the microbiome intact.
>>
>>3110744
I literally just got one yesterday and it has not acted like that at all
>>
>>3110745
>Platys
Should have gotten sword tails or sailfin mollies
>>
>>3110749
Don’t have any, was a long time ago
>>
>>3110816
Adopted from craigslist alongside a 40g breeder
My ideal species would be xenotoca doadrioi, but I feel like I ought to let a lot of plant growth happen before I take that plunge
>>
File: 20190813_164231-1.jpg (823 KB, 2030x2463)
823 KB
823 KB JPG
Aaawww yeeeaa

Time to make some fish food guys
>>
>>3110305
I'm a proud shill for Eheim Jager TruTemps. Keeping in mind that they, like most heaters in the hobby, may explode.
>>
File: 20190813_193839.jpg (3.34 MB, 4032x3024)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB JPG
Blacker an darker and then mo blacker
>>
File: black.png (362 KB, 990x1146)
362 KB
362 KB PNG
>>3110900
>>
>>3110900
Is this satans aquarium
>>
>>3110894
My poor things only get flakes I’m too lazy
>>
>>3110832
>My ideal species would be xenotoca doadrioi
I don't mean to be demeaning in any way, but what's the appeal? I googled it and it seems pretty drab aesthetically. Do they have some cool behaviors or something?
>>
>>3110929
Do you have a food processor or ninja? Shits easyb especially if you're already having some seafood for dinner. Just toss it in and grind it up, then throw it in a bag in the freezer.

That amount that I ground up there is literally going to last me months. But I don't have many fish.
>>
>>3110205
Is fluval stratum cool for neos as well or will be lower PH hobble their reproduction rates? I have some extra and it looks good.

Also: I have a little 6 gal I want to put on my desk but hate extra cables. Do I really need circulation/filter if I fill it with plants and only keep shrimp?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (67 KB, 600x445)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
I got a frog from the store with only one arm. Was really struggling against the filter in the deep tank it was in.
>>
File: 20180924_181738.jpg (1.67 MB, 3264x2448)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>
>>3108416
Needs an angel fish. Or acute angle fish >
>>
>>3111016
Check out Select Aquatics' line. I'm a big fan of CMY color combos
>>
File: 20180925_171650.jpg (533 KB, 977x1303)
533 KB
533 KB JPG
>>3111088
Cute
>>
>>3109932
My turtles would love to eat your platys
>>
>>3111084
Neos do best around 7.2pH and a little bit more hard water. When that poster said that it's good for 2 years it has to do with the soil's ability to buffer kH. If you buffer kH and use the soil it burns through it's effectiveness faster.
If you only have a 6 gallon aquarium do you really want them breeding super efficiently anyways?
Also no you don't need a hob or canister filter, but you should at least get a sponge filter.
>>
My red eared slider is twenty one years old and i need to consider a pond of some sort because he has gotten quite large. I have zero experience with this matter and i am worried about predators or that he would wander off. Any advice?
>>
>>3111091
I worry about an angel having trouble working around the driftwood or any of the fish nipping their fins
>>
>>3111084
If you want neos to breed out of control all they need is a tank with 0.5 inches of blasting media as substrate (because it's higher quality than aquarium sand and inert unlike stratum), a piece of drift wood or some rocks to collect biofilm, a nice big wad of moss for shrimplets to hide in and also collect biofilm, and a good sponge filter.
Plants are entirely cosmetic for shrimp keeping and legit breeders use super barebones setups to breed award winning shrimp.
Flip Aquatics has videos about his breeding practices on youtube.
>>
>>3110478
nice, so you got the bolivian ones in the end, happy with the result?
>>
How high should my ground be? If I care about plants, do I need special underground? Do i have to change that underground after a while?
>>
File: image0.jpg (1.94 MB, 4032x3024)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>3111170
They're really beautiful, the slight red tint at the end of the fins especially, I'm quite happy with them and I'm excited to see their behaviors and colors as they settle in
>>
>>3107419
HNNG THICCER
>>
>>3111173
If you want plants then something inert with nutrients like seachem fluorite is fine.
If you plan on keeping caridina shrimp or very difficult plants with specific pH and kH requirements then simething like amazonia or stratum is necessary.
You only need to change soil if you are using stuff like amazonia/stratum and even then you might not have to.
>>
>>3111184
Will my plants like shit without an optional co2 machine?
>>
>>3111194
do you want a variety of plants or don't mind similar looking ones?

anubias is basically impossible to kill. it grows slower if not given optimal nutrients but that's about it. i've had one revive from the dead after losing all its leaves and being just a rhizome for about a year. kept it in a closed container for another year or so and it grew fine, now it's back in a tank. anubias is great.
>>
How do you guys feel about longfin plecos?

I've been thinking about breeding a pair of super red bristlenoses for a while, but I can't decide between longfin or shortfin. The former seem to be a bit rarer.
>>
>>3110566
Oh, sorry, I didn't realise that you weren't the same person.

Well, Share a picture of the results if you decide to do it.
>>
>>3111159
If you haven't already scouted out Youtube for some enclosure ideas there's some cute shit. You can have a big kiddie pool with turf in a corner of your house or porch, but I've also seen little against-the-house river ponds with shit you'd build a rabbit hutch out of. Guess it depends on how big your guy is
>>
>>3109177
Yeah
>>
>>3109202
Just buy a 30 gallon brute tub, they are like 8 bucks where I live and that's new york city
>>
File: IMG_20190814_085334372.jpg (2.61 MB, 2448x3264)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
Got a bunch of crs off Craigslist for $20 and they made quick work of the biofilm that developed while my tank was cycling. How often should I keep adding BacterAE to keep the biofilm up? It's a 5 gallon by the way.
>>
>>3111441
rcs*
Those are not crs
>>
>>3108066
My 5 gallon walstad tank. Everything is pretty much thriving but I seem to have problems with stem plants like rotala and elodea canadansis. The old leaves keep rotting. Help please.
>>
File: 20190814_094538.jpg (1.99 MB, 3264x2448)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>3111399
That's my boy
>>
File: 20190814_094848.jpg (2.13 MB, 3264x2448)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
>>3111467
Better angle.
>>
The last neocoridina birth was two weeks ago and I see no preggoes. Should I be worried? There's like 7 adults. Started with ~35, currently at about the same if you count the teen offspring. All water params normal, lots of plants and air + big normal filter. Feed them every 2-3 days.
>>
>>3111500
In my other identical tank I introduced 6 neocoridina of a different variety and they've already spawned like 30 kids and one of them is juicy with another batch coming.
>>
File: 20190814_125909.jpg (2.67 MB, 3264x2448)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
Rate my tank, anon
>>
>>3111709
terrible/10
>>
>>3111709
I was taught that if I have nothing nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.
>>
>>3111709
Goldfish torture chamber/10
Go to your room and think about what you've done. Shame on you anon.
>>
>>3111709
>A bunch of pond animals in a tiny tank
I'm just going to assume you're trolling
>>
>>3111709
It's pretty fucking shit anon

This has to be a troll
>>
File: tSULd6D.jpg (988 KB, 3264x2448)
988 KB
988 KB JPG
>went to a cool aquarium store in San Francisco this weekend
>checking out their tank full of plants
>"hey what's that one in the back?"
>"oh that's cabomba"

got me some forbidden cabomba

>pic related
what i want my tank to look like
>>
>>3111863
I have some cabomba as a floating plant in my 10 gallon.
My betta loves hanging out in the stuff.
I like it more than hornwort since it doesn't seem to shed as much.
>>
>>3111863
What is cabomba and why is it forbidden. I've one ever kept java fern, anubias, and rotalla.
>>
>>3111863
Gorgeous
>>
>>3111870
it's invasive, so it's illegal to have in California
>>
File: 20190113_174520.jpg (2.79 MB, 3264x2448)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
>>3111739
>>3111758
>>3111761
>>3111824
>>3111786
Okay so consensus is its shit. Im open to suggestions, anon.
>>
>>3111888
Get rid of the turtle.
Get rid of the goldfish.
Get a bigger tank.
Stock it with good fish.
>>
I want to have my entire tank covered in green algae. Any shortcuts?
>>
>>3111890
The gold fish are snacks for turtle. Except the koi of course
>>
>>3111895
Protip: dump a whole bucket of fish feed in there all at once
>>
>>3111898
And then I change the water before putting anything in there. Great.

Will it wither away after a while from lack of nutrients though?
>>
>>3111901
Really though get a moss ball. It'll spread throughout your tank
>>
>>3111901
As long as you're overlighting your tank algae should be there to stay.
>>
>>3111904
I got a ball of Caloglossa cf. beccarii(Red Moss, Red Liverwart), would that do? I could tear it up and hope the strands stick to something.
>>
>>3111910
Ignore, now I'm not too sure that's what it is. Looks more like the moss ball stuff. Very fine strands, dark green.
>>
>>3111888
You need a land spot for your turtle to come out of the water and bask under a uvb/uva bulb, otherwise it won't be able to properly absorb calcium and his shell will get fucked up. He will also probably get some nasty stunted growth because the tank is deep instead of wide.

And those goldfish look too big for it to eat, but Icm not sure. Goldfish are also not good feeder fish because they give off a certain vitamin that fucks with other animals vit b I believe. Either way, there are better foods like good quality pellets and well fed guppies.

A good 55 gallon tank or a nice patio pond would be much better for your turtle if you don't want him getting fucked up anon. Look up Snake Discovery and maybe Go Herping on youtube, they show some videos of metabolic bone disease (which is what the turtle will get without a proper uva and uvb bulb plus diet)
>>
>>3111739
>>3111758
>>3111761
>>3111786
You guys, at least be fucking productive and inform the guy so he doesn't end up killing the turtle.
>>
>>3111908
If you don't get guppies or mollies.

I had beautiful light fluffy green algae over my rocks and driftwood.

One

ONE little guppy wiped it out in a month. I was fucking pissed.
>>
>>3111916
Someone did, he needs to get rid of the turtle, goldfish and koi.
Judging by this response >>3111896
He is clearly a fucking troll or someone too dense to properly home and care for them in the first place.
>>
>>3111922
Just saying "get rid of it! You can't take care of it dumbass!" Is not informing.

We know that shit never works, it just makes people rebellious. He's going to do what he wants no matter what we say, but if you put the information there where they can see it, and see the potential side effects of bad husbandry, then more than likely if they have any empathy for the animal, they'll do better.
>>
File: IMG_20190814_001848_01.jpg (292 KB, 1200x944)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
Weekly maintenance done, just need to scrape a bit of algae.
>>
>>3111926
>Expecting someone who doesn't even take the time to google about the animals they want to take care of to take the time to make a proper pond/tank set up for a turtle
More power to you if you want to waste your time but the best thing for everything in that tank is for them to take it back to where they got it.
>>
File: IMG_20190814_001933.jpg (395 KB, 1200x1147)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>3111930
>>
>>3111932
Have you never impulse bought an animal? I mean good for you if you haven't, but a lot of people do. And most people aren't heartless bastards.

But almost no one responds well to negative feedback.
>>
>>3111922
Just working with what I have, anon. Pond sounds nice but i dont want my turtle to float away. Im in a flood zone. The turtle can dry on top of the anchor but it could be better. Also wondering about live plants a turtle wont eat immediately if such a thing exists.
>>
File: IMG_20190814_001955.jpg (208 KB, 1200x579)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>3111933
>>
>>3111935
>And most people aren't heartless bastards
Unless it takes some time/effort/money to properly take care of it. Then it's 'muh money' this and 'i do what i want' that.
The world's knowledge is in their back pocket, and 99% of people use it just to sustain their ego.
>>
>>3111935
>Have you never impulse bought an animal?
No I have not. We live in the age of the internet it takes no time at all to educate yourself on a variety of topics.
>>3111938
I'll humor you
Read this-
https://www.thesprucepets.com/red-eared-sliders-p2-1238386
If you still feel you can properly take care of it after reading that go wild
>>
>>3111938
You really should get him a longer tank if you can. He's going to get messed up in that tank, and it's not always very obvious.
>>
>>3111916
It's a fucking red ear slider. It should be killed.
>>
>>3111940
Looks good, love the wood
>>
>>3111895
24/7 lights, did it for me
>>
>>3111895
Put it in front of a window.
>>
>>3111946
Thanks
>>3111943
Helpful link
>>3111913
Very helpful.

Any advice on how to make a dry spot that doesnt involve a stack of rocks? Seems like a waste of space.
Hard to make space for a long tank too. Maybe outdoors?
>>
>>3111957
They sell floating platforms that suction cup to the wall. They work pretty great.
>>
>>3111957
Buy a tub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq20o-EsR1k
Along with a canister filter.
>>
>>3111957
Like this anon
>>
>>3111969
It's only about three feet you have to make space for, which I'm sure your current tank is at least half that.

Bonus is you're koi will get bigger too.
>>
>>3111969
>>3111970
Oh, and you need to replace the bulb about every six months because it stops producing the uv. Having an outdoor enclosure would probably cut your cost down on that for most of the year because they can bask in the actual sun.
>>
>>3111969
Woah. Im impressed. Can two turtles of different sizes cohabitate?
>>
in case I wanted to move to the US, what states are more lax about not letting you have certain plant/fish/herps? or is there some centralized page I can check?
>>
>>3111975
Florida. You can catch 98% of freshwater life in your back yard. And any laws that do exist you can just ignore since the police are busy dealing with Florida Man.
>>
>>3111980
but then you live in florida
>>
>>3111973
I think so?
>>
>>3111973
Yes
>>
>>3112037
I have a one year old and a twenty year old. Both were gifts
>>
Guys, I’m really, really new at this, but I’m taking care of this little guy for my sister and I really want to give him a better life. I’m not really sure where to start, it’s probably too small a tank for him, and I imagine I need actual equipment to regulate tenperature, water filtering and whatnot, although I live in a tropical climate and temperature changes aren’t as drastic as elsewhere. For now I’m doing weekly water changes, but I imagine that’s not good enough.

I don’t have much money, so I was thinking of getting small additions, one at a time. Maybe getting some decoration and stuff for him to hide in, the temperature regulation and water filter, what would be a good place to start?

Are plastic plants and props bad/unsafe for the fish?

I know I’m probably doing everything wrong, but I really want to give him a better home and I have no idea where to start.
>>
>>3112047
Find a plant. Phyladendrum maybe. Put it in tank as a nice rooty canopy over your beta. Roots will help filter the water
>>
>>3111912
Dont tear it though
>>
>>3112048
Sounds good! I’ll go to the store and see if I can find it. Would elodea be a good alternative?
>>
>>3112069
I would have to assume that's even better honestly. Just toss some in a corner and he'll love to hang and hide in it. Maybe just upgrade tank and filter first. If you can do 5g or even 2.5g at minimum that would be an upgrade and just get a nice sponge filter for him. If your temps are consistent enough in house you might be able to get away with that last.
>>
File: 20190811_223116.jpg (3.91 MB, 4032x3024)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB JPG
>>3112069
You could use pothos too. They like the roots.
>>
>>3111888
Yikes
>>
File: 10.jpg (89 KB, 1024x684)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>3111957
>Any advice on how to make a dry spot that doesnt involve a stack of rocks? Seems like a waste of space.

piece of cork like this. make sure dries completely and is warm but not damp there.
>>
>>3111888
>that statue
Are you the guy with the sae that got stuck?
>>
>>3111980
Only real downside is living in florida which is a pretty big minus if you dont like constant 80+ degree weather and constant 80%+ humidity.

In terms of keeping animals that sounds nice tho
>>
I was at a petsmart today (closest place to me and I only go there for their supplies, I go to a local fish store a bit farther away for actual fish) and some lady was looking to get some goldfish and asked the worker for a tank recommendation for a goldfish and he said the minimum size is 10 gallons. I feel bad I didnt tell her that that's not the case and that if she wants a smaller tank like 5-10 gallons she should get a betta or something simple like that. Feelsbadman.

Sad thing is is that I like goldfish a lot even if they're so basic :(
>>
>>3112047
I'd start with a pump then. And test strips. That way you can check your water to see if there's something wrong with it.
Look into cycling
>>
>>3112246
aww... :c
i don't get why some petstores do this.. the one that's close to me has listed tank requirements and how many liters extra you need per fish right next to the price of the fish.
>>
>>3112266
It's to sell more fish to dummies who just keep a fishtank as more of a passive interest as opposed to a full blown hobby as I intend to make it.

now I just have to finish my 30 gallon starter tank so I can make a 5 gallon nano shrimp tank with blue velvet shrimp that I can properly plant this time. Sand blows and I was dumb choosing it
>>
Tilapia are straight cunts, apparently.
>>
The way juvenile shrimp move when they get excited about finding some food is amazin. Jerking from side to side trying to taste as much dirt as possible.

*cracks open beer*

Ahh, the shrimp life.
>>
Black shrimp, blue shrimp, yellow shrimp, orange shrimp, green shrimp, red shrimp, big shrimp, small shrimp, filter feeding shrimp

The shrimp life's the way for me hoss
>>
>>3112323
What did they do?
>>
I'm the 6 gallon desk aquarium nigga from the other day. I put a tiny little pump in and damn that thing is quality. No sound and strong current.

Do non filter feeding shrimp handle current? I'm just going to use it for culls but I still want them to be happy.
>>
>>3112377
I put in a big rock so there's current deadzones. But I don't know if shrimp are smart enough to figure that out.
>>
>>3111951
Cheers. I got it for just €15 from a local dude, he had a big barrel full of it. Something like this would've cost me 40€+ from a shop.
>>
>>3112285
I get that there are economic incentives, what I don't get is how they can live with themselves - knowingly failing to inform people that their pet is going to suffer and die. Especially when you can get a smaller fish for the same price.

>Sand blows and I was dumb choosing it
Haha yeah... maybe you can use it to for aesthetic purposes or to keep some parts of the tank plant free...
>>
File: _DSC0027.jpg (103 KB, 1200x800)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>3112343
Their enthusiasm is amazing to watch huh
>>
>>3112378
Mine don't really mind, when walking around they have amazing holding strength, I've seen em walk right up to exhausts. When swimming they get blow around sometimes, but they quickly recover.
>>
Too much for one tank?
>>
>>3112123
>>3112125
Thanks! I’m going to the shop today, hopefully I’ll find one of those.
>>
>>3112431
There's a good calculator here
http://www.aqadvisor.com/
>>
>>3112432
A lot of people have photos at home. You might not even need to buy that if you ask around.
I got a sapling from my grandmother
>>
While I set up and cycle my new community tank I'm looking after/breeding cherries in a separate tank on their own. I have two questions:

1. Do I need to feed these guys anything? There's a shitload of java moss, algae and old plant matter in there but no fish / fish food anymore.

2. How do I make them fug? I only have like 8 at the moment and I want at least 20 before I introduce them to the community tank. I know there's an ideal temperature for shrimp sex, anything else?

Also bonus question: anyone here had bolivian rams? Tips/suggestions for keeping them?
>>
>>3112431
Waters clear and there's no poop on the bottom. Seems fine to me. Just make sure your filter is good and add a few plants for extra filtrations
>>
>>3112434
We do have some plants here at home but I don’t know their exact species and I really don’t want to risk putting in something that will decompose and contaminate the water.
>>
new thread:
>>3112167
>>3112167
>>3112167
>>3112167
>>
>>3112578
Most house plants will grow with only their roots submerged. Usually most vines they sell as house plants will grow underwater, but the leaves have to be out of the water.
If you ever go to ikea, consider getting a lucky bamboo stalk for a dollar, but make sure the leaves aren't underwater.
>>
>>3111863
That's limnophila heterophylla, not cabomba.
>>
>feed my aquarium conservatively
>gravel vac weekly
>treat water responsibly
>appropriately filtered
>DETRITUS WORMS STILL WON'T FUCK OFF
what the fuck do i do about these niggers?
>>
>>3112822
Leave them alone?
>>
>>3112885
No they look gross
>>
>>3112638
guy who posted this pic said it was cabomba, how can you tell it isn't?
>>
>>3112906
But they help keep your tank clean and make a good snack for your fish

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.