[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Poecilia salvatoris.png (342 KB, 800x412)
342 KB
342 KB PNG
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Before asking questions in this thread, do a bit of searching online to see if it has been answered already.
Make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
>https://modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Articles and Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
>https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
>http://www.scotcat.com/
>https://www.loaches.com/species-index
>http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
>https://aquaticarts.com/
>https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/
>https://www.aquariumplants.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Check on ebay or aquabid.

Old thread: >>3065715
>>
>>3067055
post your tank
>>
>>3071238
meant*
>>3067040
>>
File: minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>
>>3071218
Flying Foxes are awesome. Extremely energetic and a true algae eater. They even consume black beard algae. But they also munch on your plants if you don't give them veggies.
>>
>>3071268
They remind me of the hogsuckers you find in creeks in America
>>
Anyone have experience buying fish from Kijiji/craigslist/etc?
The LFS in my town closed a few years back (wanted $7 for a single guppy) and the pet valu that replaced it only has bettas in plastic cups
>>
File: IMG_25620703_032051.jpg (3.1 MB, 4480x2550)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
>>3071238
I became a depressed little bitch for about a month so I've let it go off rails, need to do some maintenance but the little dude and his girl seems to like it
>>
Going to stock a leftover 10 gallon I have next month. Thinking of heavily planting it, and having a male betta with "painted fire" cherry shrimp. Does anyone have any experience with this? If not, which "centerpiece fish" would you recommend for a small aquarium with cherry shrimp?
>>
File: 1562095704204.jpg (147 KB, 1260x840)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
look at this beautiful fucker my brother dropped, I swear he's a wizard
>>
>>3071413
Leave it be
>>
anyone have any luck with anachris and seachem excel using reduced dosages? I did the initial dose and it was okay but then I discovered it can melt anachris and stopped but I've read online doing half the recommend dosing schedule might be okay.
>>
>>3071508
I guess it got a cool natural look it
>>
>>3071294
I had this one guy come in to the pet store I worked at, always swore by private sellers and would obnoxiously scream that he could get better prices through private breeders so I should lower the price for him. My suggestion is to make an alt account since sites like that are rampant with scammers. Always be safe and don't let yourself be pressured into buying things if you don't want it.
>>
>>3071294
>pet valu that replaced it only has bettas in plastic cups
Kind of surprised they have that much. Every Valu Pet I've seen around here is purely supply stuff, no live pets (I don't think any of them even care live or frozen food).
>>
>>3071687
I've traded PC stuff on kijiji before and the people I met with were fine. Everyone else flaked out beforehand or just stopped responding. Varies by thing being sold I suppose. A friend tried to sell their car and it was a shitshow of people like the guy you mention.

Some of the prices seem amusing though. Most ads with mature guppies price them at a dollar each, but a lot of listings have newborn fry for $0.50.
>>
How to get betta to stop blowing gross snot bubbles on the surface and dirtying the water
>>
>>3071734
kick it
>>
>>3071734
He wants to get laid
>>
>>3071734
Jack him off so he isn't horny any more
>>
Hello lads. I want to start another 20G long. Stocking options?
>>
>>3071855
What are those plants on the bottom? I want them
>>
>>3071734
trade it for a superior female betta
>>
File: mysteryplant.jpg (1.21 MB, 1440x2560)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
What is this plant? (not the anubias or the christmas moss). It was sold to me as dwarf sag that had been grown floating but I can't find any pictures of dwarf sag that look anything like this. I cut the leaves off the stem and put it in the substrate and it has put down roots, but hasn't sent out any runners in the month I've had them.
>>
>>3071878
Dwarf hairgrass. Buy from Amazon. One of the online stores will give you a free culture when you buy two.
>>
>>3071238
Tell me, does the pink light help plants grow?
>>
>>3071593
Anacharis is basically a weed and doesn't need any fertilizers. Leave it alone.
>>3071464
That's a sexy one. The red looks great.
>>
>>3071462
Give the shrimp a dark substrate, preferably black, and make sure they have a plant on the ground that they can hide in, I would suggest Japanese Hydrocotyl. Bettas will eat the young shrimp but if you keep him fed then he shouldn’t care about them much.
>>
will standard Amazon swords survive 8.0 PH and high hardness (it seems to settle at 8.0 but the tap water is 8.4 and hard and it has crushed coral substrate and like 40 pounds of texas holey rock)? My sword has way outgrown my small my 10 gallon aquarium and seems to be suffering so I want to move it to my 120 gallon planted Tanganyika tank if it will survive.
>>
File: IMG_20190703_155625.jpg (362 KB, 2016x1508)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
bought a replacement tank for the tiny tank my grandmother still had these two fancy goldfish in because i hated seeing it every time i saw it knowing they were suffering in there, even though i couldn't reaaaaally give a shit about goldfish lol

is it big enough? 60cm x 33cm x 33cm. fish are about 13cm/5 inches long. i added two little comets in too. gonna add a snail in a few weeks. might get a bigger one again down the line and take this one for myself too.
>>
File: WM20.jpg (173 KB, 1600x898)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>3072156
It's big enough for the fancies but not the comets, you'll have to put them in a pond eventually. You should still get a bigger tank for the fancies once you're able to buy a new tank though.
I recommend you take out the rocks cause uneaten food and poop will get stuck in there, and either put sand or a tile in there, or at the very least bare bottom. Also get rid of those shitty fake decorations and put in real plants.
>>
>>3072047
Looks like pogostemon stellatus octopus.
>>
>>3071855
tank is looking nice with the plants grown in

>I want to start another 20G long. Stocking options?
just yeet a betta in it, bro
>>
>>3072167
okay thanks for the advice mate, the fish are definitely loving the new tank, much more active behaviour which is good to see. hopefully the comets don't grow too fast.

i've actually been researching all t his a little the last few days and stumbled into some guides to substrate/plants etc, i will definitely add a proper substrate with a few plants and dwarf grass to this tank.
>>
>>3072183
>Looks like pogostemon stellatus octopus.
thanks, I think that's it. that's so funny, I thought to myself the leaves kind of looked like octopuses waving in the flow
>>
>>3072156
you really kind of goofed with the comets ... you would have had a nice forever home for the two fancies ... but now you're going to have to deal with two new goldfish that are going to get way too big for the tank.
>>
>>3072414
yeah i've realised this now, stupid bitch at the pet store told me they won't get much bigger at all, luckily i do actually have an aunt/uncle with a property which has a big pond with some fish, i'll just have to dump them there if they grow too quickly
>>
File: nobully.jpg (251 KB, 1217x1217)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>3071218
>tfw woke up and began animating a small project I planned on doing
>by the time I was 90% finished, it was 16 hours later
>mfw I tried feeding my fish but they had already fallen asleep and weren't responding to dinner
>>
>>3071268
How are they with shrimp?
>>
>>3072635
>fallen asleep
???

nigga they dead, lmfao
>>
Can anyone give me a reason why a newly set up RODI tank would be being getting a tds variation of 120-160?
>>
So down in Guatemala for vacation and I spot one of these, female thought, at first I thought it was a Peten Molly as that's the region I'm in. After looking for freshwater fish in Guatemala I identify by the stripes on its side. I saw at least 3 of them picking at my toes. Along with a large amount of fish that had the same shine and red tips as a tinfoil Barb except they're not as tall and a lot more thicker. However after talking with some locals they biggest they get is about 4 inches. These fish also bite and while it doesn't hurt it does surprise you.
>>
>>3072919
Website I used to find that picture. Www.fishbase.se/country/CountrySpeciesSummary.php?c_code=320&id=59735
The largest one I saw was approximately 3 inches with the other two being an inch at most. They're interesting looking does anyone know if they're sold in the states?
>>
>>3072924
>>3072919
http://www.selectaquatics.com/X._mayae.htm
If you don't want to order from this site, you can get green swordtails from almost any petstore that look pretty similar.
>>
File: 20190704_014627.jpg (3.35 MB, 4032x3024)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-04/rogue-siamese-fighting-fish-invade-top-end-waterways/11277180
A tad alarmist but an interesting little article. I've mentioned these feral splendens before. Theres an amazing couple up there that sell some gorgeous fish including 'wild' splendens. They generally look a bit more like imbellis. Still quite pretty.
I've been on a bit of a buying/upgrade spree. Setting up another lil tank (still have to fill the last one i set up) and am finally working on setting up my starphire rimless 182L.
Next fish I'm picking up is a pair of betta channoides, and the eventual plan for the big tank if all goes to plan is two breeds of wild betta (thinking macrostoma too), panda and barbatus corys and some smaller plecos. Gonna go blackwater riverbed below and have lots of plants growing out and possibly even an above tank growbox at the back. I already have nice soft water here so crashing pH aint a thing.
>>
File: unimaculata complex.jpg (222 KB, 678x960)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
I've been reading through everything I can find on wild bettas lately looking for species that take my fancy. So much variation in every way. Size, colour, aggression, water params, breeding.
>>
>>3072943
Wild bettas look like tiny snakeheads to me
>>
>>3072807
are you dosing? What kind of substrate? You asked this in the last thread, and didn't really provide any more details about your tank.
>>
>>3072765
Fell asleep as in they're unresponsive but still swimming in circles and shit.
>>
>>3072959
The Albimarginata complex also has the Channoides, The Snakehead Betta.
>>
Euthanized one of my beloved fish today. Clove oil. At least it smelt nice.
>>
>>3072765
? Fish sleep dude
>>
>>3072972
But y tho
>>
File: it was thiiiiis big.jpg (1.98 MB, 4032x3024)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>3072977
It talked too much.
>>3072974
Now it sleeps with the fishes.
>>
>>3072977
Condition kept deteriorating for past week, avoided the shoal, getting open wounds, behaving timid and slow, eyes glazing over. It's an old serape tetra.
>>
File: 20190702_200001.jpg (3.24 MB, 4032x2268)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
so a little backstory about this: a few days ago me and the lads went on a fishing trip and while i was there i had caught one of those invasive round gobies. without thinking, i thought "what if i brought this home and put it in one of my tanks?" hes been here for a few days now and has been accepting live and dry foods, but i want to know 2 things about this fish
1. is it ok to keep them in 78-79° tanks? one of the sites i checked (https://www.fishbase.se/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=12019&AT=round+goby) had stated that they can live in waters as far as 86° but that they were kept healthier below 70. would it be fine in its current position?
2. is it legal to keep them? i live in southern ontario, and as far as i was sure, there was nothing saying they werent illegal. besides, its not like i would just get rid of him if he was. i just want to be more cautious when talking to people about it.
>>
Anyone ever keep the small blue gobies? Saw it at the LFS in the micro fish section so I'm guessing it stays small enough for a 10 gallon planted tank I'm setting up. I'm just looking for an interesting little fish or group of fish to keep with shrimp and this seems great if it's safe with them! Definitely don't want tetras!
>>
>>3072981
kek
>>
>>3073136
Do you have pictures?

Local fish stores get names wrong constantly. Common names can and often do get labeled on the wrong species, or multiple different similar looking species.

Getting a very clear picture of the fish in the tank can help us identify it, and tell you more about it.
>>
File: 1515264337684.png (105 KB, 258x544)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>>3071706
>with mature guppies price them at a dollar each, but a lot of listings have newborn fry for $0.50.

Kek, there's always the guppyfags that think their mutt is worth a lot of money. The hobby is filled with bargaining cheapskates and it can get annoying pretty fast. Just keep that in mind, cheapskates go both ways
>"bro my african cichlid is a rare strain you don't understand I can't lower my price I'd be losing money"
>gets all his african cichlids from the local pet chain to flip them once they get a bit bigger, by harrasing every worker to lower the price because he's allegedly doing them a favor shopping there
>>
>>3072965
sorry I was busy and yes I am dosing and using the shrimp king substrate
>>
Whats a good smaller fish to compliment the colors of Pearl Gourami?
>>
>>3073136
Are blue stiphodons what you're talking about? Yeah they're small but they're not the best for micro tanks. Ideally they'd need to be in a long stream tank with high water flow and lots of algae to eat, so while you can get them I wouldn't personally do it myself.
>>
>>3072765
Dude I thought my guppies were dead

Naw, just sleeping
>>
Don’t ever talk to me or my wife’s son again.
>>
>>3071268
I just saw a few among the white clouds in the biggest store nearby, they’re pretty big.
>>3071464
My God, he bred that?
>>
>>3073315

okay thanks, now that I did some more research I agree they aren't a great choice for this particular tank.
>>
So I scooped up a few RCS from the main tank and plopped them in the breeder box that uses the water from the main tank which has a handful of fry, figured they could do some cleaning in the breeder box, but the RCS all lost their color while in the breeder box.

The RCS are larger than the fry and they used to be a nice bright red but now they are all turning clear, why is that?
>>
>>3073553
stress. i doubt your box has any hiding spots for them
>>
>>3073457
How about you get peacock gudgeons or desert gobies? They look like the neon gobies but they don't need the flowing water, and they'll breed easily in small tanks.
>>
>>3073582
I was looking at them and they do look intriguing, just to see if the LFS can order them, as I don't need anything else shipping them myself would probably be too much to be worth it. Any experience keeping either with neocardinia shrimp? Looks like it should be okay, right now the tanks kind of filled with a lot of guppy grass I'm slowly removing as the other better plants fill in so it should stay heavily planted.
>>
>>3073600
They're small enough that they wouldn't bother adult shrimp, but they may eat the baby shrimp if they happen to wander in front of them, but that shouldn't be a problem with enough plants
>>
File: 20190706_033424.jpg (1.96 MB, 4032x3024)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
Desert Gobies are gorgeous retard puppies. They thrash about and bark an puff their chests constantly but they're absolutely harmless.

Pure personality. They're not tiny though, you can really feel them thrash in the bag.
>>
What setup do you recommend for a literal child?

My younger sibling wants a pet, and while he’s pretty responsible for his age (12 turning 13) I don’t want him to get something overly difficult.

I’m thinking something like sea monkeys or triops: active and entertaining but capable of living in a shitty kiddy tank.
>>
>>3073735
Some shrimp nano tank? A child at that age should not be solely responsible for the setup anyway.
>>
>>3073735
What the other anon said. neo shrimp in a 10 gallon is literally as easy as it can be, water change every 2 weeks and a food stick per 20 shrimp. even now im amazed at the shrimp cycle of life so im sure a child would
>>
>>3073735
neocaridina davidi red cherry is the easiest pet in the hobby

if he likes fishes and you found them give him some medaka(orizya latipes)
they are called "the child fish" because are so easy even a child could care for them
>>
>>3071252
overstocked
>>
File: angelfish.jpg (187 KB, 802x952)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
My angelfish has severe dropsy/swim bladder disease and likely isn't going to make it through the night.

Tank specs and food: My water parameters are perfect 0/<10/0/7 save for my impossibly hard water and I do a 10% change religiously weekly. I feed basic tetra color plus fish flakes and fluval bug bites. I alternate between them.

He's thrived up until this point, growing from the size of a quarter to the size of a lemon. He's still got a bit of life left to him, but his bloat is getting worse and another household member had to save him from the intake of the filter, as he got stuck and wasn't able to swim away from it. His health is fading fast and I'm out of ideas.

I've done: ~4 epsom salt dips, about 1 tblspn/gallon of water with methylene blue for 20 minutes. He's been notably bloated for two days, so I've treated him twice daily. Here's a pic of him healthy, I'll get one of him sick next time I give him an epsom salt bath

I'm willing to go grab some kanaplex from the fish store tomorrow, but I'm wondering if that's going to help or if y'all have better ideas.
>>
>>3074096
You'll find better info if you seek out help on plantedtank.net. Quarantine him, raise temps, add some salt. That's about it. Not sure if pet store antibiotics will help, but it's worth looking into
>>
>>3073582
>peacock gudgeons
Make sure you get a top for that tank.
>>
>wake up to find one of my hatchets stuck behind the heater snails eating it
Rest in peace you funny lookin fella
>>
So I have that black intake filter sponge on my tiny 120L HOB filter, and I still occasionally find RCS swimming around inside the filter.

I dunno how they do it, the sponge is quite thick and I'm getting less water flow than I'd like but the little buggers still get into the filter.
>>
File: 20190705_224348.jpg (3.87 MB, 4032x3024)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB JPG
Why is my fish angry all the time :( ?
>>
File: 20190705_224430.jpg (3.89 MB, 4032x3024)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB JPG
>>
File: 20190705_224109.jpg (2.36 MB, 4032x3024)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
Is it because he hates his snail friend?
>>
>>3074096
My fish died within 4 hours of this post. I tried to vent the swim bladder post mortem and he didn't deflate, so it was dropsy.

>>3074137
F
>>
>>3073735
dessert goby. they're the hardiest fish on the planet practically. I left mine in my hot car last summer, the bag got punctured and he had about 2 mm of water for 25 hours and survived just fine.
>>
>>3074342
Well they do literally live in the outflow of a hot saline spring. I might have to get a few and see if they can survive overwinter in 20 degree temps.
>>
>>3074364
is that Celsius or Fahrenheit? Celsius, certainly, Fahrenheit, probably not but anything is possible. I've seen mollies survive freezing over.
>>
What's your liquid fertilizer of choice? No I'm not doing dry. I only have two low tech small tanks. Is Easy Green a meme? I have fairly lowly stocked tanks where nitrates are rarely over 10 after a week of no water change, so I think I may benefit from something with macros and I'm running out of seachem flourish comprehensive so I'm looking at what else is out there
>>
>>3074384
farenheight. Zone 6 NJ if anyone's wondering. Gonna experiment with swordtails too, I'd really like those in my garden pond. I know weather loaches can survive freezing over.
>>
>>3074385
I've been using thrive+. Grown some bacopa car., s. repens (without root tabs), and elodea. Not a single leaf has shown a symptom of a deficiency. Thrive+ does add more nitrate than the other versions.
>>
File: 1h34t2s.jpg (40 KB, 600x600)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
I moved my fish to my secondary/quarantine tank.

Time to do a total makeover. Partly to get rid of all the unwanted snails, but most of all, to get rid of that goddamn BBA.
>Tank is drained
>decoration is removed
>glass has been wiped
>filter has been thrown into a mild mix of water and citric acid
>thoroughly scrubbed filter components
>threw away filter media, plants, substrate and decorations

Please help anons. What else do I need to do now, to make sure that BBA will not just magically reappear into my tank. I got so goddamn irritated by it after fighting it for 6 months, and it just kept coming back with vengeance. Killing my plants.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
>>
File: Empty.png (210 KB, 672x419)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
>>3074557
>spent 6 months trying to remove and algae
>destroys entire tank cycle and and filter bacteria instead of just googling fish or invertebrates which eat it
>>
>>3074564
cant really introduce creatures which would get eaten by the inhabitants of the tank or fish that would grow too big for it.
LFS wont "rent" a fish either
>>
>>3074267
That's a very cute betta friend
>>
>>3074267
that nigga pissed
>>
>>3074569
i've just released common plecos after they ate my algae. don't be a little bitch
>>
>>3074701
you is a nigga
>>
File: apu.jpg (24 KB, 386x250)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>3074701
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1_lcprYp5U
>>
I am your king. 360g, 100g wet/dry sump. Respond “long live the king” before any questions.
>>
>>3074729
>get big ass aquarium
>fill it with generic big cichlids
Why do people do this?
>>
>>3074732
Lol, generic. I had all five species of Parachromis, including five breeding pairs in the same tank at the same time, all F zero wild caught or F1. You know not of whom you speak. Long live the king.
>>
>>3074732
low iq
>>
>>3074747
This pair and their fry are probably worth more than your car lol.
>>
File: 1552566278312.jpg (58 KB, 677x1024)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>3074750
>>
>>3074751
Seriously, I am a legend from monsterfishkeepers from about ten years ago. Haven’t posted there in years. I am what you would consider a guapote expert. I doubt you understand the accomplishment of keeping one breeding pair of Parachromis from murdering each other, let alone a dozen adult Parachromis, including adult male dovii, among them five breeding pairs, including raising some of their fry to juveniles without constant carnage. Dr. Paul Loiselle used to ask my advice lol.

In the future, please respond with “long live the king” before comments.
>>
>>3074760
do you eat those fish?
>>
>>3074732
Cichlids are the only real choice for someone serious about the freshwater hobby.

Fuck all your stupid guppies and bettas.
>>
>>3074729
>restaurant tank tier
>>
>>3074762
I do not. But they are eaten in Central America. Tourists sport fish for Parachromis dovii, sometimes known as rainbow bass, in Nicaragua and Honduras. The male dovii in the wild can reach lengths of over 32” and are extremely territorial. He is a piscavore, too of the food chain in his environment, a stone cold killer.

Pic related, but not my pic nor my fish.
>>
>>3074775
I suppose you have a bigger one? This setup was not for aesthetics, but purely for scientific study. To do the impossible, that which had never been done before. Large guapotes will redecorate the tank at will and I eventually had to give up on having any plants. But separate “homes” or territories like Large strawberry pots and rocks were a necessity.
>>
>>3074775
Pre-monster guapote habitat. Please show your three foot long fishes and mega tank. Or, if none, long live the king.
>>
>>3074782
what's that study about?
>>
>>3074783
overcrowded and cloudy/10
>>
>>3074785
Breeding Parachromis is not easy, but certainly possible. Because they have a tendency to murder one another. Keeping multiple Parachromis together is not easy, but certainly possible. Because they tend to murder each other. It was said at one time that it was impossible to have more than one breeding pair in the same tank at the same time. I proved everyone wrong by not only having more than one breeding pair, but all five species of Parachromis together in the same tank at the same time, with five breeding pairs (I did not breed the dovii, the female was murdered shortly after introduction, probably by a protective parent, found her without a face in the morning after introduction).

I was able to manipulate the conditions, ranging from temperature, water quality, food type and amounts, and habitat to make this successful for many years.

But, alas, there could only be one. I had the four Parachromis species as adults (five pairs, one was a double), I added a male and female f0 dovii at 2” and 1.5”, female was dead the next morning. The male survived to eventually grow to adulthood. After about six years of all these killers together, the dovii eventually outgrew them all, in size and attitude. Some, he rammed to death, some were wounded with his large teeth, and others were chased and harassed until they couldn’t go on. One by one, he killed them all over a period of about two years.

Now he is the king. Here he is at over 20”, one of the biggest aquarium dovii I’ve seen outside a museaum with thousands of gallons.
>>
>>3074811
While I respect the effort you're going to, damn those fish are fucking ugly
>>
>>3074792
You’re right it’s cloudy. Have you any idea the amount of food it takes to keep those tsn from eating everything else? They are now in a science and natural history museum as they easily outgrew a tank even as large as eight feet long. Have you any idea the amount of food it takes to get a synodontis that big? Or four 16”++ oscars? I can assure you, while the water may have been constantly full of scales, it was very clean. 150g water changes, sometimes twice a week.
>>
>>3074818
I appreciate that. All the Parachromis are the top of the food chain in their respective environments, piscavore predators, and that has a beauty all its own. The largest of the five, the dovii, will kill for territory, or for no reason at all, other than he is a killer. It is his nature. They’re no beautiful guppy, that’s for sure, but. 20”++ monster hitting the top of the water so fast as to be a blur as he gulps his prey is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen in an aquarium. You can’t imagine the speed.
>>
>>3074764
>if you don't like my aggressive nigger fish that kill everything unless you overcrowd them to the point they cant decide what to attack you must keep guppies and bettas
>>
>>3071218
Okay, I nabbed some plants from my local pond and I want some confirmation on my find. I’ve been carefully separating the organisms from the root system in water with a tube. So far, I’ve found a tubifex worm, two dragonfly nymphs, I think a couple seed shrimp, and a bunch of these weird bug things that you can see everywhere. Are these scuds? Is this what they’re supposed to look like? And is it possible for me to start a culture of them so I can feed them to my fish? Or are they some other kind of aquatic thing that I don’t know about?
>>
>>3074909
FUCK DRAGON FLY NYMPHS AND FUCK DRAGON FLY PEOPLE
>>
>>3074939
Should I kill them? I’m not particularly interested in keeping them, I just wanted the scuds and maybe the seed shrimp.
>>
>>3074941
if your keeping anything of there size or smaller i wouldn't even use the plants they came from because if there are eggs in those plants you can't get rid of them until they expire from not being able to become full fledged dragon flys
>>
>>3074846
>I only know of central American and African rift lake cichlids and I am still on my first algae encrusted clown puke gravel tank
>>
Is it just me or does Seachem Excel (or other products with the same ingredient) seem like it's super effective? I have two low-tech tanks with the same lights, similar plants, and otherwise identical dosing regimes, and dose one with Excel but not the other because it has val, and fuck me if it doesn't seem like I've been getting incredible growth out of the java fern, wisteria, dwarf aquarium lily and crypts in particular but also everything else. The java fern in the other tank seems healthy but nowhere near the same amount of new leaves and mini plants propagating on the leaves. So is this just placebo effect or is it actually generally accepted to really be that effective?
>>
File: disabled.gif (337 KB, 282x282)
337 KB
337 KB GIF
>>3074760
>equivalent of 45 year old fatso 'i was a god on the football field in highschool'
>except it's on an anonymous dolphin fucking forum
>trying to make a name for yourself
>as anon
>>
>>3075152
Are you not entertained? I only sought to establish my creds so you would know any advice offered came from knowledge and experience instead of jibber jabber. You don’t have to be impressed, but if you knew anything about fishkeeping, you would be. This dovii is eleven years old raised from 2” in a tank full of killers. How old is your oldest fish?
>>
>>3075159
This is an anonymous board, stop with your pissing contest, or take a trip so you can be filtered
>how big is your tank
>how big is your oldest fish
>i am so important
Fuck off to reddit if you want upvotes.
>>
>>3075018
>>
>>3074909
Yeah they're scuds. Gammarus or Hyalella to be exact.
http://wildfoodsearch.blogspot.com/2016/08/breeding-gammarus-pulex-scuds.html
>>
>>3074909
I discovered at least two scuds in an aquarium I'm cycling that must have came in on some plants. I've been raising it to 4 ppm ammonia every night and surprisingly enough after a week at least one of them was still alive, or at least I saw them last night. I was under the impression they require great parameters but at least one of them made it. I'd like them to breed but haven't seen any indication of it yet, though obviously I have no way of knowing if I have a male and a female.
>>
File: 20190708_034311.jpg (2.42 MB, 2870x3428)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
Got a new light for my flex 9g. having it raised really adds 'new light' to the tank. The ricefish currently inhabiting shine even brighter with shadows to contrast. They laid eggs (the platinums and the oranges) all over the moss for a week about a week ago, some have molded up, some still look good. Tank is running cold water (about 13c this time of year, better than the outdoor tub still) but I pulled a few eggs out and put them in my shrimp tank. Fingers crossed.
>>
File: 20190708_033822.jpg (632 KB, 2037x1145)
632 KB
632 KB JPG
>>3075369
The ricefish are going back outside though because I'm ordering a pair of betta channoides this week. I'm very excited about that. Bought a new tank and some fish safe expanding pond foam, gonna experiment with making some backgrounds and look towards setting up a tank for some betta unimaculata, Still wanna get serious in the back yard and set up another tub for some natives and glass shrimp and maybe some longfin whiteclouds or zebra danios. They can do a Melbourne winter no worries I reckon.
>>
>>3075369
good luck
>>
File: DSC_0068.jpg (2.05 MB, 4096x2304)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
Looking for plant suggestions for an unusual spot (pic related) top of the plant is above water level, roots in a tube filled with soil and water flowing over the top.
>>
File: 20190707_121910-3024x1701.jpg (643 KB, 3024x1701)
643 KB
643 KB JPG
Sorry for blurry pic. Phone wouldn't focus for shit. Anyone know what this might be? It's about an inch long including tail.
>>
My friends' wife is giving me a 20 liter/5 gallon tank for free.
Would a betta be a good inhabitant?
I already got an 8 gallon shrimp tank, and a 14 gallon snail/shrimp tank that's gonna have pea puffers after I move.
I'm open to suggestions, but I realize there's not many options with just 5g.
>>
>>3075474
I'm also willing to have a single pea puffer in the 5g, so suggestions for the 14g are also welcome. It's 60x30cm, ~23x12"
>>
File: 20190708_033816.jpg (539 KB, 1494x1042)
539 KB
539 KB JPG
>>3075448
The fish? Clown killi.
>>
File: turkey baster.jpg (23 KB, 975x651)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Now I see why a lot of carpet plant videos feature shrimp. Even with a strong stream directed at it and nudging the plants when gravel vac'ing there's still plenty of gunk that settles in there. I'd get ghost shrimp but I've heard plenty of stories of them shredding fins even when kept happily fed.
>>
File: itslikeabonowetdream.jpg (2.99 MB, 4032x3024)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB JPG
>>3075507
by ghost shrimp do you mean generic clearish (sometimes they colour up) Cardinia Davidii? Cos theyre just as peaceful as any other shrimp.
>>
>>3075484
Yes thank you
>>
>>3075447
Watercress and/or creeping jenny
>>
Should I do anything about low KH on a Tanganyikan cichlid tank? My KH (total alkalinity according to the Terta test strip) is 20 PPM, my PH is 8, and my GH is at the hard color, and it seems to have been this way for a few weeks. I have a crushed coral substrate, lots of Texas holey rock, and hard tap water that also comes out the tap at 8.4 so I thought I'd not have had this problem, so I'm confused. I know stability is more important than anything, but am I running any risks just leaving the KH low?
>>
So I have a filter that's too big for my pump because we accidentally bought the wrong size. I can just trim it to fit the tank and it'll work the same right? They all have the same shit in them right?
>>
File: muuuuuuuuulm.jpg (2.44 MB, 3024x1367)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>removed all the super overgrown hygrophila that made my tank look like a cool brownwater environment
>now i just have a mulm garden

muuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllmmmmmmmm

i haven't changed the water in almost a year. in that time, one ember tetra has died-- he ate himself to death, constantly bullied all the other fish away from the food.
>>
>>3075618
oh, i have a question for oyu guys

obviously i wanna go ahead and vac out all this mulm so the tank looks better. i was thinking of just letting it settle to the bottom of the water change bucket and then trying to siphon just the clean water into another bucket and putting it back in. you guys ever do something like that?
>>
>>3075618
8i
>>
>>3075625
Can't you just siphon it through some sort of filter?
>>
>>3075625
eat it
>>
File: 20190707_214332.jpg (2.1 MB, 1732x1776)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
I went to petco today and the bettas looked so bad i had no choice but to save one. Here is 'baby'
>>
File: 0707192248b.jpg (2.48 MB, 4160x2336)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
Whats up with my snail ponky? Her siphon looks funny its a swollen and reddish. One of my snails laid eggs it may have been her not sure. The spot I'm talking about is between her feelers and her eye in this picture
>>
File: 1562219921062.jpg (161 KB, 820x880)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>see some duckweed in the plant sales tank
>need a floater for a low maintenance shrimp tank
>ask if I can get a couple
>they dont know what that is and dont want to be held reliable for something they dont even have listed for sale
It had no lid, I should have just stuck my pinky in there. Guess I'll have that frogbit order go through after all.
>>
>>3075733
>being willing to buy duckweed
Haha loser just go down to the local pond and take a whole bucket of it
>>
File: aqv00203.png (1.14 MB, 1098x570)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
Starting a new tank up for my fish because I am super bored of the old aesthetic. from 27g to 33g, not a big upgrade, but the biggest I am comfortable with in my small apartment.
>Placed new decoration and substrate in
>throw in tetra bactozym and such in the water I am preparing
>grab my never used backup filter/pump
>thing doesnt make even a sound
>I've had this in my closet for two years, warranty is void.
fuck.

Now its the second day of waiting the new setup to cycle. without a filter or a pump.
Budget is a bit tight, so I cannot afford a new filter before next month. I havent seen water this cloudy in a couple of years.
I will introduce the plants today regardless of the lack of a filter.
I'll go with something red, I'll visit my LFS to see what they have in stock.

This will be my first time using sand substrate. I plan to take small stones, and anchor the plants with those, using a droplet of aquarium silicone, would this work?
I'll also plant fertilizer pellet or two next to each plant to encourage root growth.
I'm really excited about this, I had forgotten this feel. I also had forgotten almost everything about setting up a new tank as well.
>pic related, took pic yesterday before adding 4 inches of water
>>
>>3075851
Cycle-starting bacteria are a cash grab. You have nothing producing ammonium in your tank, so your added bacteria will starve to death. Your cycle starts when you add the fish. Introducing plants beforehand is a smart move regardless, so they can already settle and suck up a part of the build up when your cycle actually starts, but you will still need to keep and eye on the tank and do your water changes for ca. a month after introducing fish. You cant cycle a tank before introducing fish or other sources of ammonia.
>>
>>3075866
I was told a while ago to feed the bacteria with ground up flake food daily.
Also that the melt that is bound to happen when plants are introduced to new enviroment will speed up the cycle conciderably.
>LFS said I can introduce fish in a weeks time
>I say bs, and wait longer
I do have half a dozen very hardy Harlequin Rasbora, that I'll introduce once I feel comfortable with the state of the tank, and I'll introduce the rest in stages.This plan is long term. I think it'll be august before I have any fish in the tank.

I just added
>Anubias Barteri var. Barteri
>Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
two of each with fertilizer pellet to accompany them, and rigged up my Co2 input.
>>
>>3075667
>save one
That's on the same turbo-retarded level as 'saving' puppies from a puppy mill. You should feel bad.
>>
any big, fun synodontis species you can keep in an african cichlid tank along with your run-of-the mill lucipinnis, petricola, and multis? My petricola herd got thinned in my 125 so I was thinking about adding a bigger centerpiece synodontis that looks different if there's one out there that fits the bill and won't eat other 4-5 inch fish
>>
>>3075947
>synodontis
they are damn ugly man
>>
>>3075888
It's more likely that you get fungus from the flake food than it encouraging the bacteria population to grow.
The melting does help though, you have a good point there. And introducing the fish in stages is a very smart move.
>>
Is there any reason to run an air stone in an established, planted aquarium with a small bioload of nanofish and a lot of plants?
>>
File: 20190708_034101.jpg (2.32 MB, 3794x2184)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
Extra oxygenation never hurt. Might introduce a lil Co2 as well. If you don't have a filter it'll create a current which will make sure water moves properly around the tank aiding in uniformity of temperature and creating surface agitation.

If you've got one round, why not?
>>
How viable would this be for plants? I know plants need different colors but would it be beneficial for high light requirement plants? Or pretty much just for non-photosynthetic illumination?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSQNh8wrxa0
>>
>>3075947
Synodontis schall
Hemisynodontis membranaceus
>>
I picked up a secondhand filter.
Appearantly its from a birthday gift tank which the seller bought for his son last february.
>it was secondhand merch in that case as well
Cost me only couple of dollars because the kid thought that red water would look cool in his tank and dropped in some sort of red paint.
>presumably from watercolors/model paint
Only discoloration I can see is in the calcium buildup.

What would you recommend?
I'll try 50/50 solution of vinegar and water at first. But should I run it in that solution, or just let it soak?
>>
>>3076031
Rub the solution all over the sides, rinse with hot water, and then repeat one or two more times.
>>
>>3075625
You should siphon it into a bucket, then dump that bucket into another bucket through a filter.
>>
>>3075667
Baby looks pretty anon
>>
>>3075733
That’s weird, I went to a place and they gave me a whole bag of that shit for a dollar. Even threw in some guppy grass and hornwort.
>>
How many PPM of ammonia would it take to get to the LD50 to kill half my fish? I'm doing a Marvel Cinematic Universe-style Snap to make some room in my tank for new fish.
>>
>>3076143
Just net fish at random and drop them off at your local fish store. Just put em in a bag, walk in, leave it on the counter, and walk out. Works best if its a store you never go to. Don't do it at a petsmart or petco cause they'll just kill the fish, learned it the hard way with a giant pleco and an 8 year old dojo loach, fuck them.
>>
>>3076143
>>3076146
>buys fish
>gets tired of fish
>“How do I systematically murder a bunch of these fish or force the responsibility of keeping them onto someone else?”
Aquariums: The hobby for responsible adults. Just fucking get another tank and drop them off in there. Establish the most basic tank possible and let it take care of itself.
>>
>>3076170
I never do it. The only reason I mentioned the pleco and loach was because two years ago, my power went out for a whole month and killed all my fish. The only survivors were the pleco, who was half dead, and the loach who was happily swimming around the tank. I wasn't ready to allow them to suffer in freezing cold water amongst the bodies of their dead tankmates, so I scooped them up into a bucket, and drove them down to pet supplies plus. The fucking manager had no idea what to do, so she threw them into a random tank without acclimatizing them, she even said she never saw a dojo loach before. Next time I came back the fish were gone, and I don't think anybody bought them.
>>
>>3076177
Well, your first mistake was taking it to a chain. ALWAYS go local. I'm not one of those hipsters that thinks buying small and local is better in every single instance, but when it comes to aquarium stores, mom and pop stores tend to be far more knowledgeable about the hobby than the average petco/petsmart/pet supplies plus people.
>>
>>3076177
acclimating freshwater fish is literally for faggots and is only pushed by fish equipment companies to get you to buy unnecessary shit. plop and drop is what literally all the pros do. sounds you like you're a newfaggot who watched some King of DIY videos and think you're an expert. Go fuck yourself you stupid fucking nigger.
>>
>>3076200
Only species I've noticed where acclimation is helpful is otos. And it doesn't require any chemicals or equipment. It's really just putting them in a very dark, very quiet area, setting the bag in a bucket, opening the bag, and dripping tank water into bag
>>
>>3075927
Yea because hes better off if i leave him there. Your the retard dude
>>
>>3076200
>sounds you like you're a newfaggot who watched some King of DIY videos and think you're an expert.
King of DIY himself literally does the plop and drop though, every time, for every fish from neon tetras to rays.
>>
>>3076143
If you did this, the half that survived could likely be very damaged as well, some maybe even irreparably.

But yeah, just donate it somewhere. You don't need to be some turbo autist that goes out of his way to find a LFS he's never been to or plans on going back to and plops the bag on the counter and runs out like a child. Just hand them over and tell them you're giving them up. You may even get some store credit for it.
>>
>>3076031
Let it run. The nice thing about vinegar is that it washes away cleanly and easily.
>>
>>3076021
Plants have optimal wavelengths for growth, yes, but blasting a wide spectrum like that will do the trick for practically any plant.

The problem is controlling algae.
>>
>>3076008
Not particularly.
>>
>>3076221
>Yea because hes better off if i leave him there. Your the retard dude
Not the guy you're replying to but stay in school, autist.

The more you buy from shitty chains, the more they're encouraged to sell more poorly treated fish.

If there were 100 betta in a Petco and zero people bought them and they all died, guess what would happen? That Petco wouldn't stock them anymore because people showed zero interest, and that Petco would no longer abuse bettas.

It's just like my local Petco that used to stock saltwater. It was so shitty that no one ever bought the saltwater fish, and dozens, if not over 100, saltwater fish either just died from poor care or got transferred. But the end result was that this particular Petco near me no longer stocks any saltwater what-so-ever, and now their inept staff cannot harm any more saltwater fish.
>>
File: 20190708_182335~2.jpg (1.09 MB, 4012x2086)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>3071218
Hi /aq/ I'm looking after my brother's house which has a fish tank and he told me to feed them twice a day but not how much, and I think I gave them too much because today the water is cloudy and I can see some uneaten pellets at the bottom.

What should I do? I can't see a siphon around to suck up the food. Can I/should I replace the water? There's really just one angel fish and a few suckers. My brother is /out/ so I can't ask him.
>>
>>3076261
desu yes, but you really should be asking your brother if possible. we have no way of knowing if the guy is using rodi or tap water. it's pretty important to know what he's already been doing

underfeeding is better than overfeeding, if you're ever unsure
>>
>>3076267
Yeah unfortunately it'll be almost a week before he's back in cel range. Is it better to just leave it then?
>>
>>3076233
I can't imagine I'd blast it at maximum overdrive, that'd be a bit much especially since I'd want them on the tank in my room and I sleep in the day
But I'd definitely like to try making one
>>
>wanted frogbit
>put frogbit in my tank
>now have too much frogbit
>remove frogbit
>remove frogbit
>remove frogbit
>there's still the same amount of frogbit

ahhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>3076221
Lern2 second order effects.
>>
File: 1560705824311.png (76 KB, 329x528)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
my niece's betta sits under his plant all day and has white streaks growing on his fins. And his tank seems to get dirty very quickly with an oily slick on the surface.
This thing's dying isn't it?
I don't know shit about bettas so at first I thought it "hiding" in the plant was normal like some sort of ambush predator.
>>
Some of my retarded corys are still flipping the fuck out every time I turn on the light. Today one of them kept spazzing out in random directions for like 6-7 seconds.
>>
File: 1554681638960.png (230 KB, 1059x595)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
>>3076390
>not making free food from the frogbit
>>
Never kept gold fish but the gf really likes these little fat fucks. All my tanks are tropical and i know goldfish are cold water, my house runs about 70 degrees Fahrenheit would an oranda be okay with a room temperature tank? I have an empty 29 gallon is this too small for a single one? Could i keep something else with him if it isnt too small? And any recommendations on decor or aquascaping for one.
>>
>>3076537
Yes it'll be fine in 70 degrees, but I recommend just telling your gf to fuck off so that you don't have to take care of a garbage fish for the next 20 years+, with well over half the time that fish being completely tumor ridden.

t. Goldfish person.
>>
>>3076546
Thanks mate I liked my gf showing interest in the hobby but fuck twenty years of caring for the fish equivalent of a /b/tard shitting and pissing all over itself
>>
>>3076494
What manga
>>
>>3076031
>>3076051
>>3076229

I ran the filter in 40/60 vinegar and water mix, alternating between the vinegar and new clean water every 15 to 20 minutes for two hours.
This got rid of the faint smell of paint, and running it in clean water got rid of the vinegar smell.
Almost all the gunk that had been packed in the tight spots came loose. What I couldnt get out I sprayed with undiluted vinegar and let that sit for a moment. I am 99.99% sure whatever I couldnt get out is dead.
I scrubbed and sprayed the filter with water thoroughly just to be sure after that whole operation, and had it in my drying cabinet for some 12 hours. Its bone dry.

First secondhand filter I've had. Is this ready for use, or do I still need to operate on it?
>eheim pickup 160 for 2$ was a good purchase as an emergency backup for my tank imo.
>>
>>3076651
Cant think of anything. Did the paint traces discolor the water at all? Would be a good indicator that you got it all out.
>>
>>3076656
The water got discolored just a bit. but it got brownish rather than any shade of red.
>>
>>3076554
Maybe get her to be fine with adopting some old ones out of shitty conditions like you see sold or given away for free on ebay and co.
>>
>>3076390
more turbulence at the surface ought to take care of it. I've been trying to establish frogbit in my tanks but in both it just ends up disappearing because the surface roils too much. I know I need some floating ring thing to break up the waves but I've just been too lazy to do it.
>>
>>3076554
you realize you can just rehome a fancy goldfish any time once you get sick of it. It's not like trying to rehome a huge common goldfish that's basically worthless and that few other people have the space to take.
>>
>>3076695
Airline tubing connected with a little piece of drinking straw worked for me as a partition
>>
Just scored like 50lbs of frozen fish food for free. Would it be alright to feed freshwater fish squid? I have like 5lbs of it and have never tried before.
>>
>>3076868
Yeah, just don't feed too much at once cause squid are fatty
>>
What do yall do with old substrate? I have to move out of my current house by this Saturday so I'm taking my 75G down. But question is what to do with the substrate? Its black onyx sand and it's some what retains water so its super heavy. I just need to get rid of it.
>>
File: Raphael005.jpg (51 KB, 800x600)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>3073361
Flying Fox can reach 7 inches in length, not gigantic by any means, but it still comes as a shock to people since usually they're juveniles in the store, ranging from 1-3 inches. In that regard, the one fish that surprised me the most is the Striped Raphael catfish. I bought mine on an impulse earlier in the year. Had no idea they get so big.
>>
>>3076923
Where I live, such waste has to be disposed of at a landfill site. Where I pay a small sum and a staff member takes the bag(s) out of my hands.
If you want to make sure you'll do it properly, give your local waste management company a call to their customer service number. I'm sure you'll find out more there.
>>
File: Carodina.jpg (111 KB, 800x524)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>buy some crystal reds online
>say they'll be A-S grade
>expect mostly A's and some B's
>Everything is above S and half are SS and SSS
What a nice surprise
>>
Anybody know of anywhere online selling wild type dojo/weather loaches? I've got a 125g that I want to set up with a school, but everybody seems to sell the gold morph and I'm not as much of a fan.
>>
>>3076992
Apparently liveaquaria is selling the wild types for two dollars each but it seems like that's too good to be true.
>>
File: 15084984039001.gif (1.78 MB, 270x188)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB GIF
What's a good recommended water heater for a full grown male red eared slider?
>>
>>3076967
What site anon? None of the LFS or chains(that I've been to)supply shrimp. I'm in NC if that helps.
>>
>>3077041
There UK based but I believe they "may" ship globally for extra
https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk
>>
>>3077042
ah rip they don't export outside the uk
>>
File: 20190709_162420.jpg (1.3 MB, 3264x1836)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
Found this weird white slime on my heater. When I got some out of the water it stopped exisiting? Idk I got some on a paper towel and it like a slime? What is it? Is it safe?

3.5gal freshwater aq with 1 betta and 4 moss balls in it
>>
>>3077054
show tank
>>
File: 20190709_164027.jpg (1.47 MB, 3264x1836)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>3077055
>>
File: fuck u.jpg (33 KB, 500x483)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>3077057
>>
>>3077058
What
>>
>>3077060
For starters blue lighting in freshwater tank, almost zero coverage for the betta out side of meme pot, the moss balls look dead. fake plant.
>>
>>3077062
at least you got it a heater
>>
File: 20190709_164923.jpg (1.31 MB, 3264x1836)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>3077062
Ill show you blue lighting in a freshwater tank
>>
why are fish social hierarchies almost always determined by size? It seems retarded they have no other criteria to determine who should be up top
>>
>>3077126
they're fish anon
they're retarded
they're sometimes happy sometimes cute retards
and we keep them in rectangle prisms
>>
>>3077131
I don't really mind it. What I enjoy about the type of fish I like is interpreting the "prison yard," seeing who controls what territory, who they allow into it, what will cause them to chase them off, etc. You can anthropormophize more about why, but I think those things actually happen.

I'm Thinking about shrimp but I feel it will be boring, but there's a lot of hype so there has to be something there. Of course it's not the same, but do shrimp have any interesting social behavior whatsoever? Or are they just dumb ships passing in the night.
>>
File: Tan.jpg (59 KB, 600x450)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>3077151
when it comes to shrimp its literally about playing god and im not joking. its all about refining and and breeding and mixing. there are for sure fish out there who have pack mentally with alphas and beta though
>>
>>3077152
okay, yea i do want to try. i'm thinking neocardinia shrimp with some fish at first just to spice things up in a 10 gallon heavily planted tank I've had just plants in for a few months. some little blue eyed rainbowfish like like to show off for females and compete for females ... I like the idea of the whole circular ecosystem too, breeding action, some fry and shrimplets getting eaten, but some making it to carry on the population ... overpopulating and crashes and starvation keeping it in check ... heck I've got a huge population of tiny little microorganisms swimming around now, I think daphnia and cyclops but idk to be honest, though I assume they'll get decimated when I stock it, but still all that adds interest to me and hopefully even they can continue their colony.
>>
>>3077161
like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbFCmMwmUrM ?
>>
>>3077164
yea but not that gay. also I have a small corner box filter but perhaps one day I'll shut it off, which might be possible once I get some livestock to move the water around, and probably better for the plants as the bubbles won't be offgasing CO2.
>>
>>3077161
I was thinking of getting bright red cherry shrimp to put into a heavily planted 10g, and a male betta as a centerpiece. I just want something relatively low-maintenance and "unique" (my other tank is neons and corydoras) though so I'm not sure how much upkeep it needs
>>
File: Fire Reds.jpg (1.14 MB, 3264x2448)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>3077199
10g tank with one fish and shrimp while heavily planted? 15%-20% every 2 weeks or so. I assume when you say bright red you mean something like pic related which are fire reds
>>
File: 20190709_204727.jpg (2.45 MB, 4032x3024)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
Look how red dis bitch be
>>
File: THAILAND.jpg (346 KB, 1052x789)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
>>3077243
nice
>>
what with pet co and their dollar for gallon specail going on i finally want to get a tank going. been lurking for a bit but never posted cuz no fish yet. What are some pointers you wish you knew when you first started caring for your tank? any specific breed of fish you liked?
>>
>go exploring on aquarium wiki
>article on Hydra treats it as a pet
So, has anyone here actually kept hydra as a welcome species?
>>
>>3077299
buy the tank at pet co and get the fuck out of the shop and go to your local mom and pop or specialist breeder online, also fuck americans and there 1$ a gallon deals. also dont be so american that a deal make you bite off more then you can chew
>>
>>3077310
look up a guy called life in jars. he likes that shit
>>
>>3077310
I had a bunch in my newt tank after I added wild plants without washing them (I already know someone will reply and all I have to say is I don't care), they didn't do anything and the majority of them disappeared after I didn't feed for two weeks.
>>
My brother bought himself an aquarium. 20 gallons. We set it up last friday. Added bacteria and threw in a piece of shrimp to decompose.
We have done water tests every day. And it should be fine.
>was told that water tests on new tanks mean jackshit
We live in the ass end of nowhere and "lfs" is 3h car ride away. We're leaving to visit that area for some hospital visit and plan to visit the fish store while we're there.
Would we be fine to buy and introduce
>oto cats
>guppies
>honey gourami
>>
>>3077382
Welcome to the hobby.
Water tests on new tanks dont tell much, except about your initial PH and water hardness. Which brings me to your
>Guppy
Guppies are bred so thoroughly that some populations have completely lost their hardiness, and can be finnicky, ask a fish store employee what kind of water parameters they are from. For example, in the LFS I shop in, there are "hardwater" and "hardy" varieties of guppies, from different breeders.
>Oto cats
Would never survive in a new tank. You propably dont have any algae yet either. So if they dont starve, they propably cant handle the water parameters yet. I'd give it at least 3 months before thinking about introducing them. You propably shouldnt even remove algae before that.
>Honey Gourami
They might be fine. I'm not sure, never had gourami, but I've heard lots of good things about honey gourami for beginners.

How will you transport the fish for 3 hours?
I'd recommend a cool box where you should put a couple big bottles with room temperature water to have stable heat condition during your trip.
>>
>>3077395
Different anon, i would not introduce gourami's strait off. found them to very week fish
>>3077382
the only fish which should be used as part of the cycle would be something like tetra's get like 20 and after month of that the tank will be fine for basically whatever
>>
>>3077420
rasbora work as well. Harlequins in my experience are extremely hardy, and as I wanted some, so I used those for the cycle back in the day.
But Anon at >>3077382
shouldnt get fish they dont want. I'd advice you should just wait, or think other options
>>
File: 1549964759806.jpg (72 KB, 500x667)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>3077427
Yes true, I just mentioned tetras because there non-offensive and there's so many different variety's to choose from
>>
>>3077395
>>3077420
Thanks for the advice. We wait for the tank to mature then. Is there something we should pick up from the store? Meds, spare filters etc?
>>
>>3077462
you didn't mention plants so those if you don't have any
>>
Where are some good sites to sell fishes online?
>>
File: IMG_25620705_194020.jpg (2.95 MB, 4608x3456)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
>>3073361
Yea meanwhile here's mine :+/
>>
>>3077671
aquabid
>>
File: 20190624_224452.jpg (1.32 MB, 3095x2716)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>3071464
Is that Imbellis? The couple of wild betta/guppy/goldfish places here that can receive transhipping orders have sent out requests for the end of the month. Pretty sure I can buy from any dealer in indo/thailand then it gets shipped to Hermanus Haryanto then here.
I ordered a pair of Channoides yesterday from in country but got a msg saying theyre not sure if they still have em. If they dont im gonna get a pair of channoides and unimaculata and go to town.
>>
Is there like a well-known site for fish classifieds other than craigslist? I've got a spawn my catfish failed at eating I have to do something about and the local fish stores won't take them.
>>
File: fuck me eyes.jpg (1.5 MB, 4032x3024)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>3077747
the USA has aquabid.
>>
File: lotl.jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
beef heart for lotls, yay or nay?
>>
How tf do I keep an axolotl tank cool?
>>
>>3077797
water chiller
>>
File: 20190710_211934.jpg (451 KB, 1306x767)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
Does anyone here keep Macropodus opercularis?

It seems that my male doesn't really like his female.

Should I buy him a second one (or maybe more?) so that he can choose a mate?

Or do you think he'll warm up to her?

Pic not really related, just a T. albonubes (which I also keep outside during summer)
>>
File: sketch-1562786943711.png (2.3 MB, 1655x1080)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB PNG
I bought a betta from a generic pet shop since they are moving away from live animals and had everything on sale.
It's pretty sick though.
I think it has fin rot and ich
I bought melafix already but apparently that's shit?
Should I worry about the ich or fin rot first
>>
TANG GANG
>>
>>3077747
You guys need to get familiarized with hobbyist forums

You can sell this stuff off to other hobbyists. You can also get cheap supplies, and you have a better chance of making sure your little babs have a good home
>>
>>3077382
Look into the dry start method.

It's easier than going through cycling.
>>
>>3077131
Not all fish are stupid.

Saw a documentary saying one species of cichlid in the rift lakes has the average intelligence of a 4 year old child.
>>
File: _DSC0044.jpg (966 KB, 3000x2000)
966 KB
966 KB JPG
Most of my shrimp are wild color because my first tank was just a mix. I was hoping for a few generations of some color, but they were wild colored from the start.
There is some variation visible, some are blue-ish, others are more brown or more white.
Now, many of my first, nicely colored ones died.
>>have a very dark blue, almost black, big female shrimp
>have an orange male
>getting a 5g tank for free
Would they have a potential for decent offspring, or should I just collect some of the blue-ish ones and breed them with the dark blue female?
I also have a bright red one that hitchhiked with some snails I bought, pretty sure its female, would I have better results breeding that one with the orange male perhaps?
>>
>running low so dosing ferts at 75%
>3 days later see bits of staghorn and fuzzy hair algae under some leaves
fucking hell does it really pop in that quickly
>>
>>3078045
I don't think that is an inherent problem, but it's telling you you're missing some particular nutrient the absence of which is allowing that algae to out compete the plants
>>
>>3077965
the genetic line sounds so polluted you'd just be better getting like 10 nice shrimp and putting them in the tank
>>
File: cacatuoides.jpg (34 KB, 480x480)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Really surprised no one talks about apistos here
>>
>>3078113
rams are better
>>
>>3078154
Rams are not good parents. They're less intelligent. Not as interesting when breeding.
>>
File: 20190426_125916.jpg (2.88 MB, 4032x3024)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>>3078177
What the fuck did you say about me?
>>
>>3078191
You don't even have the good looking ram. That's the only good thing about rams. They're very colorful, pictures don't do them justice. Their blue has an almost electric glow to it.

Apistos are prettier though
>>
File: bbll.jpg (77 KB, 576x576)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>3078196
>South american shit fish
>better looking then electric blues
>>
Bolivian ram is the superior ram
>>
>>3078200
You are the type of guy that likes guppies and bettas
>>
>>3078209
actually shrimp are my speed
>>
>>3078201
Behavior wise, yes

Looks wise, no
>>
File: PSX_20190710_203057.jpg (3.82 MB, 4032x3024)
3.82 MB
3.82 MB JPG
>>3071218
Does my betta look constipated? If so, how many days should I stop feeding him till it stops?
>>
>>3077878
Fin rot killed mine faster than I could imagine, I had never had a fish with fin rot that didn't clear right up, but I guess bettas are sensitive to it. Also, once their fins rot they swim poorly and get ripped up by filter intake, substrate, and decor.

You can really treat both at once. Get ich guard, put some salt in your tank and raise temps if possible. Get some antibiotics, API Fin & Body is doxycycline and easy to find at the local pet store.
>>
File: RIPPIN.jpg (30 KB, 584x433)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>shrimp keep diving head first into filters power head
RIPPEN
>>
wtf can i keep in a 10g that isnt a betta or a danio?
>>
>>3078339
shrimp, any kind of schooling fish, rams, any kind of dwarf pleco. honestly there is quite a lot
>>
>>3078339
dario dario

shellies

lots of nano fish.

do some research
>>
File: img_1484[1].jpg (95 KB, 500x500)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>3077736
Looks like both places I know are out of Channoides. I'll be placing my first transhipped order then! Pleasing to know though it is such a small hobby here, theres a pretty good variety of wilds available here retail (I dont use facebook and thats where so much of the online hobbyist to hobbyist stuff has gone).
At the moment theres: Rubra, Albimarginata, Falx, Rutilans, Strohi, Madradinga,Coccina and very interestingly, wild Splendens!

I also got 100 ghost shrimp in today to spread amongst my tanks and 3 longfin panda corydoras to add to my army and spread some biodiversity. I think im down to one breeding female and she's lookin tired.
>>
File: IMG_25620707_152030.jpg (2.73 MB, 4608x3456)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
tried to make veil tail, got this instead wopps
>>
File: 20190607_184458.jpg (3.22 MB, 4032x3024)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>3078537
pics of parents?
>>
I plan to have Red Tiger Lilies in the near future. Looking for plants that thrive in low light conditions, that dont mind being shaded too much, so the Red Tiger Lily doesnt starve them out too easily.
I already have Anubias in there, so they can get a headstart before being shaded, and have time to anchor themselves into the driftwood.
I also have an option to get some Indian waterweed from a friend.
Unfortunately LFS was out of Java Moss, but I'll get some in their next shipment that comes in next monday.

Would that be enough variety, or should I look into getting something else as well?
>>
File: 20190712_010256 (2).jpg (2.68 MB, 2863x4016)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
>>3078588
I've found mayaca to be awesome. One bunch has spread into thick handfulls in every tank i have and ive got shitloads spare floating in my goldfish tub out back now. Very pretty, nice texture, bunches closely and you just snip it in half and replant to double it. Water sprite is another great one for all the same reasons and also doubles as an incredible floating plant. Which in turn leads to floating plants not needing so much light. DONT DO DUCKWEED. I still love it in one of my tanks, but it does not stay in one tank and you cannot get it out once its in. Go frogbit, grows insanely fast too but its big and you can grab it out easily. Also, if yer into 40cm+ alien thin alien tentacles its a great effect that fish and shramps both adore. Again, it just cultivates itself. Also, think about some out of tank growth like pothos or any indoor plant you can dangle the roots in.

Pic isnt super low light, but that light is only a week old and I've had crappy lights on plenny of tanks
>>
>>3074729
Does the king have any pictures that were not taken with a fucking potato?
>>
>>3078588
Crypts really do well in a low light environment. They have a pretty dramatic effect in a dim tank. Creates a lot of depth and mystery.

I REALLY want to throw some crypts into my amazon biotope tank, but I think crypts might be an asian thing.
>>
File: retardedcatfish.jpg (850 KB, 1440x2560)
850 KB
850 KB JPG
Does this behavoir mean anything or is this little synodontis just retarded? he likes to like attach himself onto the airline right above the tube for the sponge filter while the back part of him flays around in the bubbles.
>>
>>3078761
boomers can afford 1000's in tanks and fish but not enough for latest phone with some zoom tech
>>
when the f*** did people with some shitty anubias and java fern in shit aquariums start calling their tanks "planted tanks." lol the term used to mean something, now retarded youtubers have casuals and normies thinking they're Gods of Horticulture because they're growing shit that barely qualifies as plants.
>>
File: Sperg.jpg (8 KB, 270x187)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>crystal reds I got are showings signs of golden bee strain
>>
I was thinking with regards to cycling, would it be possible to obtain a source of nitrites? You could add it to your aquarium along with ammonia on day 1 so you immediately have nitrites to begin growing the first kind nitrifying bacteria, thus not having to wait for your second round of nitrifiyng bacteria to start that portion of the cycle, which we all know adds a lot of time since they multiply much more slowly. This sounds a whole lot better than the shitty bacteria in a bottle so I wonder why no one has done it. Granted both would be for impatient fucks, but at least the nitrite in the bottle would actually do something rather than bacteria in a bottle which seems to be entirely shit.
>>
File: 1535888809522.gif (80 KB, 644x714)
80 KB
80 KB GIF
>>3079130
gatekeeping about plants in a box of water
>>
>>3079130
>gatekeeping & bitching about normies on a mongolian basket weaving forum
>>
>>3079052
Yeah, some fish like the feeling.
>>
>>3079151
>posting wojaks
>>
>>3079148
isn't this why people put old media in new tanks?
>>
>>3079156
it's to speed it up by introducing both kinds of bacteria, but without a nitrite source immediately, it will save you some time in that you have some of the bacteria already, but they still won't be able to start multiplying until the first bacteria is producing significant amounts of nitrites, which even seeded can take a week or more.
>>
>>3079151
>r/gatekeeping

you have to go back retarded faggot
>>
>>3079160
i mean im not gonna lie here but if you can't wait a week or two for something your brain is literal mush
>>
>>3078294
Halp
>>
>>3079166
Not that anon but efficiency isn't a bad thing. That's like saying that using "Stability" and similar products when starting a tank makes you retarded.
>>
>>3079174
haste not speed. theres a huge difference between tiny does over a 2 week span in comparison to basically dumping shit into the tanks
>>
>>3079175
I don't particularly care what the original conversation about (and my apologies for implying I did), but is "adding old media to new tanks" a bad idea for cycling? I don't cycle tanks from scratch very often so that's what I'm trying to understand
>>
>>3079177
no its actually a great idea. if your using a sponge filter with media either swap the old sponge with the new one or take like 50% of the media out of the filter and use that
>>
>>3076494
Please respond
It lies on its side, it’s breathing is labored and it seems to be losing color.
I’m 99% certain it has finrot and an infection, it was attacked by another betta before this showed up.
It’s not too late right, can I save it still?
>>
File: 20190709_210505.jpg (3.87 MB, 4032x3024)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB JPG
>>3078717
Did someone say frogbit?
>>
File: Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (303 KB, 2376x1782)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
r8 my aquarium, /an/ons
those small ones are hatchlings from two of my goldfish
its my first time here
>>
>>3079263
Pine needles are so aesthetic, especially in ponds. It looks so nice.
>>
>>3079244
If its finrot and infection, get some aquarium epsom salt (NOT MARINE SALT) and add a bunch to the tank according to the instructions. Additionally, you can also get dry leaves from outside, don't bother cleaning them, and put them in the tank, the acidity will help relax the fish (yes the water will look like tea, the fish doesn't care). This is what I always use, and it helped me cure a pleco's bleeding lips that were nearly hanging off and my clawed frog's bloat.
Does the tank even have a filter? Cause filters disturb the surface, which prevents oil from forming at the top. If it doesn't get an airstone and small sponge filter to clean the tank. Do you have real plants? If its fake plastic shit, get some cheap live plants and toss them in there.
>>
File: 20190712_113846.jpg (1.62 MB, 3264x1836)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
What the fuck. I think i found a shrimp in my fish tank

Im the 3.5gal betta dude

What the fuck is this
>>
File: 20190712_114454.jpg (1.08 MB, 3264x1836)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>3079629
What is this
>>
>>3079166
eh, sometimes you need a cycled tank quickly. Say you found some unexpected fry you want to save, or sudden aggression issues mean you need to get a fish out sooner rather than later, and even just in general setting up a new tank you need to move fish to it's nice to get that set up quickly rather than the unpredictable long amount of time it takes cycling with no help.
>>
>>3079629
it just looks like a roach from the first pic, or just some other kind of terrestrial beetle that fell in and died.
>>
>>3079279
What's wrong with using marine salt in freshwater tanks? Honestly question I've been using it for the past few months as I heard it's better than straight up salt.
>>
>>3079788

why do you want to add salt in the first place? unless you have a specific purpose it's best not too so you have wiggle room should you actually need it ...
>>
>>3079788
I've never used salt in freshwater but I know that marine salt has a higher pH, Alk, Ca, and Mg that could alter normal freshwater parameters. If used sparingly though, I couldn't see much damage to be done
>>
>>3079946
I got mollies dude
>>
why is this thread still getting bumped after 300 posts?
>>
>>3079969
then it shouldn't matter. just do whatever you want they can handle full-reef conditions ffs. i love the look of livebearers in reef tanks (forgive me if these are faggot beginner soft corals, I really don't know)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.