[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1560267755184-1649933403.jpg (2.13 MB, 2368x4224)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
>be me
>working with my dad
>see this
What should i do ?
It still breathing and moving
>>
it's a baby
don't touch
>>
>>3050865
kiss it
>>
>>3050866
I already did, it was in the ground surrounded of ants
>>
>>3050865
put it back into its nest, it couldn't have gotten far
>>
>>3050868
That's its food
>>
File: 1560268138887-1231738058.jpg (1.54 MB, 2368x4224)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>3050869
i saw the momma bird but i don't think i have ladder to get there
>>
>>3050873
Holy shit she's adorable
>>
File: 15602685606201333287101.jpg (1.43 MB, 2368x4224)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
Gave him some water
>>
File: 1560269054559355778648.jpg (1.47 MB, 2368x4224)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
Sleep tight birdie
>>
>>3050865
It's a man
>>
>>3050882
is it dead, or are you going to nurse it?
>>
Modern dinosaurs look kinda creepy
>>
>>3050892
nursing it i guess,but i doubt he'll survive
>>
Can you get him to a bird sanctuary or find someone to help put him back in the nest?
>>
>>3050882
Looks dead. If he's still alive though he'll need to be wrapped up and put somewhere warm, between room temp and body temp.

Go find some bug for him.
>>
>>3050882
>>3050917
Also he's a hatchling so will need feeding twice every hour in small amounts.
>>
Not the OP, but I'm facing a somewhat similar situation and could use some advice.

I have an adult bird that appears to be injured in my front yard. It is sitting on the ground and occasionally flapping its wings ineffectually in an effort to fly whenever it hears or sees anything approach it. I believe it is an American Robin, although I have not gotten close enough to it to be certain. I looked online about what to do, and the general advice seems to be "put the bird in a shoe box and contact a wildlife rehabilitator." Thing is, the only wildlife rehabilitator that handles birds in my locale only deals with rare/large/valuable waterfowl like egrets. Therefore, what is the most ethical/advisable course of action for me to take in this situation? Should I simply leave it alone?
>>
Did /an/'s moms never teach them not to fuck around with baby birds
>>
>>3050873
>take care of my son anon
>>
>>3050938
"don't touch the baby bird because its mom will never want it back" is a myth.
Additionally, most birds aren't even able to bring a bird back to the nest.
honestly, in this situation, if the baby fell out of the nest, it would have likely died anyway. It either fell out by accident, or was pushed out by the mother because it wouldn't be able to feed it, or it was somehow deformed.
>>
File: 1560277825019-378972209.jpg (2.13 MB, 2368x4224)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
OP here, birdie still alive, ill bring him home and i will find something to feed him.
>>
>>3051009
get wet cat food, mix it into a semi runny paste with some water, possibly even your own spit, and then feed the bird with a turkey baster/syringe with it. prop it up for that in your hand, make sure the head is pointed up while you do. the bird should eagerly be pointing it's beak up to recieve the food.
>>
File: IMG-20190611-WA0008.jpg (2 MB, 2336x4160)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>3051009
Hey op, I'm in a similar situation. The bird seems to be pretty young and in a better condition. Although I'm not sure what to do either
>>
>>3050882
Get them warm. Heating vent by floor, snuggled against you, heating lamp, something. Paper towels won't cut it. Get a warm soft blanket. Poor baby.

Get bugs from your local pet store. Mash them up into a paste and use a paint brush to feed them little bits at a time. That's how bird rescue centers do it.
>>
>>3050930
Does it look full grown or is it a fledgling? Is a wing held stiff or does it look injured?
Young birds need to exercise their flight muscles before they can fly. It's natural for them to hop around and for people rescue a perfectly normal young bird. Unless it looks like it is obviously hurt, I'd leave it be. If it does look hurt, you could take it to a vet clinic and pay for care yourself. Call around and see if any clinic will see pet birds. I wouldn't tell them it is wild till you have to show them or they might refuse.
>>
>>3050865
I'm no expert by any means, but it looks pretty fucked up. If it was on the ground surrounded by ants it's possible it fell out of the nest and smacked the ground pretty hard. Might want to consult a professional if you're serious about nursing it.
>>
>>3051040
The robin (?) appears to be fully grown--it's not small, and I don't see any down. It is sitting on the grass with its wings folded, unless it hears or sees something approaching, at which time it will start flapping its wings desperately while dragging itself along the ground. Not only is it not capable of flying, it also does not appear to be able to walk. It is currently in the grass, on the ground, and in the shade. I have not handled it or done anything to it, because I don't want to cause injury to it through ignorance. Honestly, I think it might be a goner, but any further advice would be helpful.
>>
>>3050990
It’s a myth invented so people would stop stealing fledglings and thinking they’re doing God’s work. Now people know it’s a myth but don’t know the right course of action so they take the fledgling in and care for it wrong so it either dies soon after or dies on release because it’s imprinted on a human and never learnt how to bird.

This advice obviously doesn’t apply to OP’s picture because that’s a hatchling and you always put hatchlings back in the nest, unless there’s a cuckoo in it.

>>3051009
>>3051015
>>3051036
Keeping it warm is the most important thing because under normal circumstances the mother would be sitting on it. Soft blanket and a heater. Keep the temp between room temp and body temp, if the bird is stretching away from the heater it’s too hot.

You also need to keep it hydrate through food, never give a hatchling water. You’re lucky it’s a pigeon of sorts and it can eat most bird food. Get pet store bugs, live is best but you’ll need to cut up larger bugs so it doesn’t chokes. Pet stores also stock hatchling mixes, you can ask for and buy those. Cat food is a last resort.

You’ll need to feed it once every half hour or so, and in tiny amounts each time. As soon as you feed it it should wiggle its butt and little poop packet will pop out, it’s delicate so don’t break it, pick it up with tweezers and throw it away,

You have to keep feeding at night too, so no heavy sleeping, or get a helper to watch at night,

Caring for a baby birdy isn’t easy.
>>
>>3051071
Take some photos you goon.

Keep an eye on it for predators in the meantime, if it’s an injured adult it won’t starve that quickly and if it’s a fletching the parent should come to feed it as you watch. Don’t stand too close or the parents won’t come to feed it.
>>
>>3051260
*fledgling

>>3051045
Also this for OP. Contact wildlife rehab centre.
>>
File: Thrush.jpg (981 KB, 3264x2448)
981 KB
981 KB JPG
>>3051260
Here's your picture. I ultimately had to pick up the bird and put it into a box because it had made its way into the street and was in danger of being run over. When I got to looking at it more closely (I only saw it from the back before), it was very apparent it is not a robin. I am still trying to ID it, but the bird it most closely resembles from the pictures I have seen thus far is a Hermit Thrush.

Is there anything I can/should do for this guy? As previously stated, he can't fly or walk and is just laying there slowly opening and closing his beak. Even if he's a lost cause, I at least want him to be comfortable. Please help me, /an/.
>>
File: robin.jpg (224 KB, 669x1000)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>3051339
Nice you didn't kidnap a baby, that's a bona fide injured adult thrush. Give it a little small bowl of water and some soft fruit, and a plate of birdseeds, then it's up to you.

You can either call wild life rehab and hope they can help or call a local vet. Or if you want to diy fix (not recommended) you can try to find the injury. Hold the bird like this (gently without choking it ofc) and check it over. But do this after you've given the birdy some water, food and rest.
>>
>>3051339
Also why is its tail bent down like that? Or is that a wing?

If it's the tail, was it always bent like that?
>>
>>3051339
>>3051346
>>3051348
WAIT NO. That's no thrush! That's a juvenile robin.

So yh. You did kidnap a baby. But it's a big baby so give it some food (bird seed and soft fruit) and put it, along with the box and food, back to where it came from away from the road and keep on eye out for it.

It probably just hurt it's leg a bit when it jumped down from the nest, it will be okay. If you really think it's a serious injury, do a check, if the legs aren't completely broken/twisted backwards and there is no blood it will be okay.
>>
>>3051354
I went to the bird store once and saw a bird with a really fucked up leg. It was hopping around and grabbing shit with the fucked up leg. Bird legs are really resilient which is weird because my bird manual said that if a bird hurts their leg, they're probably dead.
>>
When you put the box back out with food though write a note saying My parents are watching me from afar, please don't steal me. Keep your cat away from me. Regards, Baby Robin.

If the legs are twisted/clearly damaged you'll need to keep a hold of him for a few day for it to heal, buy fresh bugs and feed him with tweezers every hours or so, or whenever he opens his mouth for food.
>>
>>3051357
Bird limbs heal extremely fast (from a human perspective) if they get a cast and proper care in captivity. In the wild? a broken limb is as good as dead for most animals.
>>
>>3051357
Yeah, which is why I said
>if the legs aren't completely broken/twisted backwards and there is no blood it will be okay.
But this is a baby so it's not going to be walking like a normal bird yet, but its already made its way to the road so it'll be fine. Just put him out in the box.

Also how long did you watch him for and did parents come to feed him? Did you watch from at least 15/20 yards away?
>>
>>3051359
That's exaggerated, most bird leg fractures will heal just fine in the wild. The risk comes from predation while they're healing.
>>
>>3051346
>>3051348
>>3051354
I do not have any insects on hand, and the pet stores around me are closed until tomorrow morning. I do have some fruit on hand. Can I feed this guy apple pieces? If so, how should I do that in a way that avoids hurting him? Also, what's the best way to give him some water? Should I just put it in a small bowl and put the bowl in the box with him? Should I use an eyedropper?
>>
>>3051362
>Also how long did you watch him for and did parents come to feed him? Did you watch from at least 15/20 yards away?

I checked on him periodically throughout the afternoon. I do not know if any other birds helped to feed him; all I know is that he crawled into the street at some point, which was what prompted me to pick him up and put him in the box. He's currently just chilling there, and I am leaving him alone until I know for certain what I should be doing.
>>
>>3051365
Jesus it's always the dumbfucks with no provisions wanting to be a bird hero.

Do you have cat food at least? You can give that (mashed up finely and mixed with water until it's soft) to him about half a teaspoon per feed. Hold it above him and he will raise his head, tip it in when his mouth is facing the sky.
>Can I feed this guy apple pieces?
No, that is the opposite of a soft fruit, he'll choke. Plus the soft fruit is a just a stop gap snack depending on his current eating skills and more to get the parent's attention once you put the box out.
>If so, how should I do that in a way that avoids hurting him?
No apples.
>Also, what's the best way to give him some water? Should I just put it in a small bowl and put the bowl in the box with him?
I suggested water thinking it was an adult thrush, but it is not. It's a juvenile robin. Leave some water in the bowl for the parent and then TAKE THE BOX OUT where he came from because you have no correct food for him. If you want you can leave some apple chunks/bird seeds next to him for mom/pop, no apple seeds.
>>
>>3051379
I have some cat food. Just follow the instructions here: >>3051015?
>>
>>3051371
Keeping a close eye on his feeding status is literally the most important thing because he'll actually need help if the parents are dead but you've missed that opportunity once already. Put him back in a safe place away from the road, in the box with a note, blanket optional, and then keep an eye for a 2/3 hours from afar watching for a parent. No leaving the window or looking away. Sometimes lifesaving isn't all that exciting so if you want to try save this bird you've got to commit
>>
>>3051381
Do you have dry food or wet food?
>>
>>3051390
It's dry. Is that no good even if I crumble it up and mix it into a runny paste?
>>
>>3051391
Use a blender if you can or pestle and mortar it finely. 1 part food to 2 part water. You'll the need to let it rest and soak up water for at least half an hour until it has the consistency of yogurt with no hard chunks. It can take up to an hour depending on the cat food so you might as well put the baby out (with box, apple, water, note etc.) as you wait and watch for the parent.
>>
>>3051397
The sun has gone down in my locale, and there is a possible risk from cats and other predators prowling around. Should I still put him outside?
>>
As you watch you can shoo away cats or crows if they go near him. But robins are feisty so in all likelihood the parent will attack before you do. I almost guarantee a parent will come to feed it within the hour.
>>
>>3051398
How dark? Like dusk or deep night? How well can you see? Are there street lamps?
>>
>>3051401
It's deep night. The only illumination is from a single lamp on my front lawn, although I can turn on some of the lights outside of the front door if that would help. Should I put him + the box outside now or do it tomorrow morning?

Also, currently making preparations to try and feed him per >>3051397.
>>
>>3051405
If you're happy with no sleep tonight, do it tomorrow morning. If you need to sleep put him out after feeding and put him under a bush, use some leaves to hide the box.

I would suggest doing it tomorrow morning first light and not sleeping tonight.
>>
>>3051405
After the half hour soaking let the food come to body temperature either by heating and cooling until correct (check with thermometer) or holding the spoon on your inner wrist or elbow for 5 mins.

What's the time where you are?
>>
>>3051417
It's 10 PM.
>>
>>3051425
Okay. In that case don't heat all the food, heat maybe half and refrigerate half. To feed drop the food onto his bottom beak after he starts opening his mouth upwards. Feed him by half tsp amounts slowly until he stops asking for food. Now he will poop and make a mess and you will need to clean up.

Since it's deep night switch off the lights after this feed and sit in the darkness with your stolen bird. Make sure he's not sitting on his wings/tail/legs weird and he should go to sleep after light out.

If he wakes up in the night asking for food, heat up the refrigerated food to body temperature, and feed clean poop etc. This may not even happen but you need to stay awake for it just in case.

Then make a fresh batch for the morning feed. And this will be the last feed before you put him out.
>>
>>3051449
If you think his legs are really not well by morning, call wildlife rehab.
>>
>>3050873
If that's the mom I think the chick is a cuckroo or whatever it's called
>>
>>3051459
>mom attempts to kill false-hatchling
>OP gullibly picks up the job of raising it
It's like poetry.
>>
>>3051459
>>3051474
If it lives, then free pet cuckoo.
>>
>>3051474
>>3051479
Does this mean OP is a cuck?
>>
>>3051508
That would require a third party (ie. gf) that prefers the cuckoo to OP. But OP will never get a gf in the first place so he can never be cucked.
>>
>>3051474
>mom attempts to kill false-hatchling

Can birds do that? Recognize that a cuckoo chick isn't their own?
>>
>>3051511
If this isn't her first hatching, she probably knows.
>>
>>3051511
Nope. No extant bird spp. throws out suspect hatchlings, but fairy wrens at least leave the nest if the cuckoo is the last baby left rather than raising it.
>>
Can you kidnap a hatching bird and return it later without it being rejected?
Just want to create a bond early on and hopefully have it stay
>>
>>3051536
lmao this dude here so autistic he can't even befriend birds. Just put out bird food for them fampai
>>
>>3051009
This bird has no doubt died in agony by now because OP was too much of a shit to put it out of its misery.
>>
File: 1500004751165.png (62 KB, 298x260)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
OP clearly had zero fucking clue how to care for a baby bird and you guys did very little to rectify that
I mean he put some water next to it in a cap while it can barely move or see.
This bird was doomed the moment OP found it.
>>
>>3051710
Yeah I gave up on OP after he said he taking it home a full 2 and a half hours after the """"sleep"""" update without heat or food during that time and focused on the robin snatcher.
>>
I just feed baby birds to my golden.
>>
>>3051710
anyways, the bird is underdeveloped and needs a warm light and food, the easier or more jellyier the better, it need proteins and water. Good job OP saving one precious life
>>
File: Birdbro.jpg (74 KB, 1056x592)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>3052023
>>3051710
OP here, sorry for not providing updates I've been busy with work, and I'm sorry to say this but birdie didn't make it, me and my mom did our best, we feed him well but he didn't want to eat anymore,he passed away peacefully, I'm going to bury him, let me know if u want to send him a farewell,I'll write it down and post it
>>
>people are actually suggesting that you care for this rat with wings

kys yourself asap as possible m8 you're barely even human at this point. no wonder you can't get a gf
>>
>>3052184
Rude.
>>3052178
RIP.
>>
>>3052195
>Rude.

But absolutely, 100% correct.
>>
>>3052204
I'd say even filthiest birds, pigeons, would be cleaner than rat.
Hobos eat them no problem.
>>
>>3052209
>b-but they are cleaner than rats

Is this seriously the best you can come up with? Rats have killed millions of people.
>>
>>3052211
Meanwhile, wild birds probably killed less than 1000.
>>
>>3052213
>birds have only murdered thousands of people!

holy fuck I am killing the next bird I see, these things must be stopped
>>
>>3052218
Better kill cats. They are responsible probably for half of car crashes, thanks to toxoplasmosis increasing reaction time, and disabling protection.
>>
>>3052226
>believing in toxoplasmosis

let me guess, you also think global warming is real
>>
>>3052228
Nah, I believe only in stuff I want to believe. Like in 6 digit salary...
>>
File: F.jpg (40 KB, 1056x592)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>3052195
F
>>
File: Birdie.jpg (75 KB, 1056x592)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Goodnight sweet prince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHer-rGfTco
>>
>>3052178
please write "based" on its goodbye note
>>
>>3052265
honestly it was really ugly and didn't look quite right. it wasn'tgonna make it anyways
>>
>>3051511
>>3051519
What about sparrows? I've seen them trow out hatchlings two times in different places and years.
>>
File: 1526150887190.jpg (8 KB, 274x184)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>
>>3052178
He didn't want to eat because he was dying from hypothermia. Now give him back to the ants.
>>
>>3052178
Next time think of the ants first.
>>
>>3052184
Why does it seem like the majority of the people on this board hate animals? Whenever I come on here, no matter the thread, it's like there's always 1 or 2 fuckers like you, just waiting.
>>
File: nodreams.png (48 KB, 276x250)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>3051710
Fuck sakes, this. No one even mentioned the poor fuck needed heating. This board used to give genuine help in situations like this.

>>3050865
OP, for future reference if you find a young bird like this, look up wildlife rehabs or wildlife centres. If you can't find one near you, take it to your nearest vet who will be able to find it the help it needs.

The poor bastard died because everyone here was too busy being an edgy cunt to tell you to give it some form of heating.

There was some good advice on feeding, but without a heat lamp, pad or incubator it was as good as dead.

An exotic pet store, or heck even petsmart would have been able to assist you here.

Fuck this board.
>>
>>3050865
behold a man
>>
>>3054535
Not funny since it was already posted in the jellybaby bird thread
>>
>>3050865
What species is this?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.