[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 72 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: hammu.jpg (443 KB, 1536x2048)
443 KB
443 KB JPG
anyone with hamster experience? i'm thinking two Winter White dwarfs, or two campbells, but i don't want them to attack eachother once they reach maturity.... has anyone kept dwarfs together?

maybe ill even get a syrian...are dwarf hamsters friendly?? i want the friendliest hamster i can get
>>
>>3050156
also, post pics of rodents u enjoy
>>
roborovski dwarf hamster , the tiniest and fastest hamster!
>>
>>3050156
Even if you have a huge cage there's no guarantee that dwarf hamsters won't attack each other. I had two femals Russian dwarf hamsters in an enclosure made from an IKEA detolf and they were fine for a couple of months. Then suddenly they started fighting over one of the wheels to the point of drawing blood (there were 2 normal wheels and 2 saucer wheels), so I have to separate them. I put in one of the glass shelves as a divider and split the cage in two but they'll still go to the very corners and try to get at each other. So you could try keeping them together but watch out for any fighting because it can escalate.
>>
>>3050162
): thanks for the input. yeah i've heard about that happening and i don't really have the funds for two separate enclosures since im a broke college student. ive heard a lot of stories about infighting so i guess ill get one because i dont want to risk it. did your individual hamsters like you after some time? were they like, cuddly, or did they just kind of speed racer all over you? i want one i can pet, and i know syrians can be chill.

i really cant wait to get one, probably next week or so. : )
>>
>>3050166
When I got them one was already tame and didn't mind when I picked it up and pet it, the other one will walk onto my hand if I have food but will run away if I try to pick it up or pet her. It all depends on their personality. If you want one that you can pet from the beginning then a Syrian would be better, but they need more space.
>>
>>3050158
He cute
>>
>>3050156
If you're not dead set on hamsters and you want friendly both to you and each other, get rats.
>>
File: IMG_20190608_205329.jpg (3.28 MB, 4864x2736)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
These little guys are 2 weeks old now - All chocs, one blue Burmese and one mock choc.

Their eyes opened yesterday and they're cute as fuck right now.
>>
>>3050166
>a broke college student
get a snail. Hamsters aren't cheap if you don't neglect them.
>>
>>3050236
OP is a broke college student so likely no funds and no space, do you really want rats to be housed in some glorified hamster cage?
>>
>>3050308
>>3050312
i mean im going to try to do well for the singular ham, but i couldn't do justice to both. im doing a bin cage setup with this http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=608&ProductCategory=252&section=1 , or maybe something bigger if i can find it at the store. im not just getting some shitty petsmart cage haha. also i have a hedgehog rn and i definitely dont neglect her, dont worry im not gonna torture this hamster guys.

>>3050236
rats seem adorable and intelligent but the tails weird me out ): and i think they need more space than i can afford. thanks though!
>>
>>3050302
oh my god theyre so sweet. are those mice or rats, i cant tell.
whats their behavior and demeanor like, do they like you? aww. :)
>>
File: IMG_20190608_205048.jpg (3.68 MB, 4864x2736)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>3050328
They're mice! It's actually a bit of a story..

They were always intended to be bred together, but the female destroyed her tub AND the males, loosing them into our house for over a month.
The male just waddled up to me one day and was happy to be returned, and we eventually found the female only when she gave birth and we heard the pups squeaking.. But since being back in a new (glass) tank, she's become extra affectionate and has let me manhandle the babies from day one.

This is my first experience with mice instead of rats, so I'm really impressed!

>Blurry pic of mum and dad.
She was already visibly pregnant again, so I'm leaving dad in to help rear until she is about to pop. He's been a really good dad so far, and she'll be retired from breeding after this next litter.
>>
>>3050338
Mice a fun little things, especially when you get them super friendly. I had one that would come out to the top of his cage to greet me when he heard my voice, I could also just pick him up off the floor if he escaped.
>>
File: peanuts.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>3050302
cute little beans
>>
>>3050572
i would die for them wtf. i want to pick them up and kiss their heads
>>
File: 1560169854282.png (88 KB, 568x548)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>
File: _DSC0007.jpg (137 KB, 1200x800)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
My old robo (2j2m) died tonight :( She was a good ham.

@OP don't get a robo if you want something cuddly, they are sanic. Regular dwarfs are ok, and easy to tame. Syrians are more chill I've heard, but I don't like their size, for something that big I'd rather have rats.
Campbells can live in groups, but the cage must have specific dimensions depending on group size, it can be too big too for them. And seperation must be an option, so in your case I'd go for a single hamster.
The bigger the cage, the better. Don't add space with plateaus n shit, they barely climb and have no depth perception. And they're stupid, mine would fall off the same ledge, face first, over and over again.
Add as much bedding as possible, mix it with hay so its tunnels don't collapse.
>>
>>3050325
Also, that bin cage is rather small.
34x12", 408sqi
Recommended for a dwarf is 28x20", or 560sqi equivalent. For syrian 40x20", or 800sqi equivalent. With 10"+ of bedding. They are diggers.
>>
File: 1424531445292.jpg (325 KB, 1383x1600)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>3050853
Rest in peace little hammy, she lived a good life.
>>
From my experience hamsters are literal hellspawn. They're wild fucking animals. Most of them will bite whatever the fuck they come in contact with because they don't like to be touched, they're like autistic Chihuahuas but even smaller. They will screech and bite and then run around all fat and shit. I once went to a pet store and there was a hamster there just demonically screaming at everyone. Get a mouse or a rat.
>>
>>3050156
two males are better then two femals since females are more terretorial when it comes to food, males on the other hand fight for acces to females but if there are non around they are usually chill, every breed is friendly and easy to handle if you follow a few rules. such as leaving them alone for the first 3 days with a blnket over the enclosure start handeling after they are accoustemed to the sounds and smells of your home
>>
>>3050853
im so sorry to hear that.): rest in peace sweet bb. what was her name?

my hedgehog is in the process of dying and i have to decide whether or not to put her down. its fucking so painful i didnt know i could feel so much for an animal the size of my hand.

thanks for the advice, ive seen robos going mach 10 and its too fast. i think im going to go with a mouse or a dwarf ham.

>>3050856
thank you! where did you get that info from? i'll try to get bigger im just not sure where to go. maybe ill try lowes/homedepot. ikea detolf looks really good, maybe that too but it would have to go on the floor...idk where in my house.

>>3050858
ahahaha i hope i dont have your experience. i can't say you didn't warn me!

>>3050859
thank you!
>>
File: gotta go fast.webm (1.87 MB, 710x400)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB WEBM
>>3051087
>im so sorry to hear that.): rest in peace sweet bb. what was her name?
Thanks bruh. Good luck with the Hedgehog ;_;
I named her Haruko (the Vespa lady from FLCL), because I'm a weeb, and she loved going fast.
Pic related, that's a 140cm (55") wide tank. Ignore the bare furnishing, I only just got her, it improved a lot in the next few weeks.
>>
File: IMG_20180627_230813.jpg (1.99 MB, 4640x2610)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>3050857
Thanks mang. I like to think she did. I got her when she was a year old already, someone dumped her at a local rodent shelter... She got quite the upgrade, pic related
>>3051176
>improved a lot in the next few weeks
Pic related
>>
>>3051087
>>>3050856(You)
>thank you! where did you get that info from? A local site (in Dutch) that collects that sort of info for a wide range of pets, because pet stores & the general public know fuck all, so there's a central information point we can refer to.
Detolf is used a lot, but it's a bit limited in height, which is a downside for digging animals (hamster, gerbil), and a bit less for mice, afaik they just like everything, bit of digging, bit of climbing.
There's other ikea options too (Billy, for instance, google ikea billy hamster) if you don't mind some DIY, if there's wood parts you can just treat em with a food safe laquer to prevent piss from soaking in. Surface area is what counts, so you can go for something more square instead of long too, if that fits better.
>>
i would never ever plan to keep 2 hamsters together, they are solitary animals. it can work but the chances are bad, but the chances that at least one will get hurt are high. they dont need "friends" its against their nature, they only meet each other when its time to make babies.

also: look up wheel sizes, small wheels are bad for the back. when he uses it the head+back+tail needs to be one straight line.
>>
>>3051186
>they are solitary animals
Robos en bellies live in groups in the wild. Can be kept together in cages too, but it can still go wrong sometimes.
>>
>>3051176
that video is so ridiculous, i cant believe how fast she goes! those little legs are too powerful, holy shit. rip haruko, lil babe. that upgraded cage is awesome!

>>3051182
i've got a small house and desu billy is big as shit

>>3051186
thanks for your input! yeah i think ill do one. its funny how we anthropomorphize them and assume they need friends. thanks for the wheel tip, i've heard it before. i already have a big one for my hedgehog that i'll sanitize and give to the ham!
>>
File: running slowmo.webm (580 KB, 800x450)
580 KB
580 KB WEBM
>>3051191
>i cant believe how fast she goes! those little legs are too powerful, holy shit
Right? Here's a slowmo in the running wheel.
>>
File: runningwebm.webm (1.44 MB, 888x500)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB WEBM
>>3051215
And realtime speed. All you could hear from her legs was 'fffrrrrr'
>>
>>3050720
Baby guinea pigs are one of the softest elements known to man.
I had a pair that had 5 babies, the mother was an albino so 2 of those were as well. We kept one of them, once she matured she had black-tipped ears and a black patch of fur on her nose, I never knew albinos could have other bits of colors on them.
>>
File: Spurdo.jpg (102 KB, 1600x900)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>3051221
>>3051215
Holy shit. I'm glad I realized early that I need to get a bigger bin for my dwarf boi. I knew they were zippy bois but not this much. I bought a big 50 gallon tub that I'm gonna transfer my new one in
>>
>>3051178
That's one nice tank. How often did you clean that and how much of a pain was it?

Also did you make that wheel? If so can I have the plan?
>>
>>3051248
The point coloring is basically temperature sensative albinism. Fur in the cooler areas of the body will be normal black and the hotter area white. It's the same as Siamese/Burmese cats and pugs.
>>
>>3051482
Post pics!!!

Here’s my hedgehog. She’s sleepy in this picture bc she was cuddling on me. Her name is luna and she likes belly rubs. When I pet her she will sometimes flip over progressively so she’s on her side to increase the belly pet radius. She’s totally retarded but I love her a lot.
>>
Baby pic of Luna. She was very teeney and now she’s an old woman (approaching 3 years).
>>
>>3051532
I'm not home at the moment but tomorrow once I get the new bin set up ill definitely poast. Hopefully it makes him happier because he's screamed at me a few times probably from cage aggresion.
>>
>>3051482
Note that the one in the webms is a roborovski dwarf, regular dwarfs are a bit less sanic.

>>3051491
Cheers. I cleaned it every 4~6 months, depending on smell. The most annoying part was that my wood shavings are in the garage, and I live on the first floor, so I'd have to go down the stairs with a big bin, scrape some off the big compressed block (this cost me the most time because I can't just cut it all open and spread it out), back up the stairs, dump it all in, add a layer of hay, and back down again, about 5 or 6 times for filling it like in that pic.
But overall, since it's only a few times a year, it's not that bad.

I bought the wheel, brand is Trixie.

>>3051532
<3 Luna (Lovegood? Or just regular Luna?)
How old do they get? And how's the smell?
>>
>>3050156
Hey /a/, I have a guinea pig for a couple months already, but she's always scared shitless whenever I try to grab her and she struggles and scratches.
How do I make her feel comfortable or playful? She does nothing except screech, shit and then throw her shit out on the floor
>>
chelabinsk hamster best hamster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd-BeDQWjXs
>>
>>3051832
she actually doesn't have a "bad" smell really. I've grown to love he familiar clean/wet hedgehog scent that occurs when I bathe her. however the poop and pee smells gnarly but it could be worse. as long as their cages are kept shit free it's fine.

just regular Luna, not love good. :)

also they get like, idk 2-3 years old? I forget
>>
File: 20190602_114548.jpg (1.21 MB, 3024x4032)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
I've got two rats though I kind of want to get a third one. Though I'd need to buy a bigger cage first. Anybody know any good ones to buy?
>>
>>3052336
They also keep keep chewing out the plastic tray at the bottom so I need a cage that has a metal one.
>>
>>3052336
critter nation
>>
>>3051840
You should never have only one guinea pig, that makes them more nervous.
>>
Ferret Kingdom cages are considered the best for rats, and are all metal. A lot of people build their own inner trays out of corflute for easy cleaning - and it doesn't matter if they chew it because there's still the metal base to hold them in.
>>
File: b800 98.jpg (88 KB, 600x800)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>3052404
>Ferret Kingdom cages
Don't have those here in Europe. At least I don't think so, I looked all over the place, including online and only places you can get them is from UK or USA, the shipping cost is so fucking bad that it basically doubles the entire price of the cage alone.

On the other hand I found this caged named 'Perfect Maxi' that actually sells in Europe and that I might be able to physically buy from a pet store in my country in case I need to see it for myself in person.

>pic related is the cage with 2 chinchillas in it
I'm guessing it's spacious enough?
For me so far it looks like one of the best possible cages I could get because mainly any ''special'' type of cage I'd look after in here that's made for housing rodents or ferrets is always tiny as hell, not even 2 levels most of the time.
>>
File: VID_20190320_111912.webm (2.95 MB, 720x1280)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
been taking care of a chinchilla for about 2 years now.
he was formerly abused by my father, (unknowingly of him though because he actually just didn't know how to raise it or take care of it properly and just thought it was rat or some more 'basic' pet like a cat) and so far he still hasn't seemed to warm up to me at all.
he still seems really anti-social or overall scared about human contact, he always seems angry or bitter as well, (not sure how i can tell that though, i think it's just the eyes or the way he looks)
i hear he used to bite or nip a lot but he doesn't really seem to be doing that at all with me. again, he's really scared and afraid, even if i let him out to play, he'll find some place to crawl under or hide whenever i make the smallest move then won't come out of there for a long time, if he does decide to come out and seems me move even an inch too fast, he's back to hiding.
it's kind of annoying honestly and i'm not sure if he's ever going to recover or trust me for that matter at all but i'll do whatever it takes to at least keep him alive and well cared for.
>>
>>3052790
Critter nation is supposed to be one of the best you can get, and they are also available in Europe.
>>
I brought home a new rat today, but it escaped and hid under a dresser. How do I get it out.

This is the first rat that to ever escape from me.
>>
>>3053632
Nevermind, I managed to flush her out. She's fine, though scared by a broom. Not a good first impression, lol.
>>
Hamsters are anti social and stupid

They only come out at night to horde food in their enclosure
>>
I had a bunch of female hamsters as a kid and man do they stink when they get horny.
>>
>>3052837
Man, that sucks. You try to understand why it behaves like that and you realize it sees you as a kind of monster holding you trapped.
>>
>>3050853
I would agree to not get a robo unless you're more into watching the little ham instead of handling it. I would consider them a bit more for experienced owners. You can tame them, especially if you can get them young, but otherwise they're usually hyper drive all the time.
>>
>>3052837
i hate your dad
>>
File: 20190601_201056.jpg (3.68 MB, 4032x3024)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>3050156
My current syrian hamster (she's eating a pretzel stick)
>>
>>3054494
cute! looks like a rat from that angle tho
>>
>>3050572
Those are baby guinea pigs, not hamsters. Still cute tho :).
>>
So whenever I want my dwarf hamster to come out for taming or whatever all I do is un-bury his food bowl. For some reason he ALWAYS comes out a couple minutes later to rebury it where I then lure him into a plastic jug to bring him to his playpen/bathtub. Am I fucking up my hamster this way or is this normal?

Pic related: His bin
>>
>>3055107
That doesn't sound bad to me but I'm not an expert on hamster psychology
>>
>>3055114
He doesnt run at the sight of me or my hand in the bin. The only time he verbally gets pissed off at me is when I overstay my welcome in his bin or the one time I gently brushed him with my thumb.

The way experts talk about these creatures makes you think any little thing will make them get wet tail and die
>>
>>3050158
My robo recently passed away. She’s buried out back with her toys and some snacks. She was a good hamster.
>>
I found out my hamster fucking loves chicken, so cute, gave him the tiniest piece and he ripped it from my fingers and basically shoved it down his face, never seen him eat anything so fast. Even vegetables he likes he goes at them nibble by nibble
>>
>>3055143
F

>>3055119
Some are very territorial and will attack anything that enters their spot, but are very chill once they are someplace else. I don't think you're doing anything wrong.
>>
Damn my rat escaped once again and is now living under my bed. I can't get under the bed myself, so it seems this is her living space now.

What worries me is that she doesn't get out to get food and water I left outside for her. It's a girl fresh out of pet shop, so I'm not familiar with her habits yet.
>>
my two hamsters (2 cages) always store the food at the toilet place, also they sleep in it... they have plenty of room and many hides but choose to do all in one. how can i bring them to life more clean?
>>
>>3055510
Why do you only have one rat? I mean it makes sense considering how much of a fuckup you've been in the few days since you've bought the rat but did you literally not read anything about this animal you're committing to?

>>3056980
You can buy a sandbath and put it opposite to their current toilet/bedroom. This should lure them to pee in the bath.
>>
>>3056980
Or are you talking about poop? Hamster will always poop, eat, and sleep in one place. You just have to pick out the poops for them.
>>
I have two gerbils it's been over one year
So far I have always kept them locked in their cages. I feed them once per day or every two days sometimes. That about sums up my interaction with them. Now I've been starting to feel guilty over this. What could I do to start bonding with them? Is there even any possibility to bond anymore?
They don't get scared when I put my hand inside like they did at the start. In fact they will climb on it. But what do I do from here? It's obvious they dislike being handled and only climb out of curiosity.
>>
>>3055293
>feeding rodents meat
dont
>>
>>3051840
Some pigs are just like that
I have three, had them for about a year now.

They run for their lives whenever i try to pick them up, but once i corner them and grab them and they see its me and not a jaguar or some shit, they instantly calm down and love cuddles.
Its just a really strong prey instinct
>>
>>3057184
There's nothing wrong with it anon and hamsters do require protein, the whole "they'll turn mean if you give them meat" thing is very much a myth.
>>
File: hamsterbau.gif (12 KB, 530x215)
12 KB
12 KB GIF
>>3057074
they have both a huge sandbath, the syrian sometimes pees in it & never use it as bath, the dsungarian never pees inside and bathes a lot.
>>3057076
i have read they like to use houses with more than one room, every space for a different purpose, like in nature(pic:left food,middle sleep,right toilet). my syrian has such a house but he just burried down and lifes a one room life. i am talking about poop and pee.
>>
>>3057074
>Why do you only have one rat? I mean it makes sense considering how much of a fuckup you've been in the few days since you've bought the rat but did you literally not read anything about this animal you're committing to?
I don't have only one rat, I have 3. But other 2 do not just off me like that. In fact, no rat I ever kept just jump off my hand on the floor and scurry under the bed, I wasn't used to someone so hyperactive.
>>
File: IMG_20190421_121958.jpg (1.97 MB, 3120x4160)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>3051189
Had robos once, they were fine for like a month or two and then they decided fucking ragnarök has come or idk and slaughtered each other in cold blood

When I found them one was dead, the other dying

Never getting those crazy little shits again
I have pic related now, a Russian dwarf who doesn't like to run around in the room, barely tolerates being handled, doesn't play with his toys and just sleeps his life away
He's a cranky old man now at 2 yrs old but he's alright
>>
>>3057426
My Syrian was also a NEET shut-in... she always hoarded the food from bowl back home and slept, ate, and pooped in her little house. But thankfully she always peed in another corner of her box.

Maybe the house you gave your Syrian is too big or maybe the cage is too cramped? Do you have a picture of your setup?
>>
File: 20190619_002053.jpg (3.78 MB, 4128x3096)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
>>3057905
At the moment only thisy the orange thing is her sleeping. You can see she stacked poo on her food. Maybe its to mark it as hers?
>>
>>3057957
Yeah mine did that too, during her sleeping hours she will drowsily wake up to eat and after eating she will poop and throw her poop away randomly in a convenient direction (usually towards the food).

I don't know if it's fucked up pet shop breeding or if it's natural in Syrians. I just grabbed the food/poop mix everyday and removed the poops from it and placed the food back.
>>
File: received_2339880712737757.jpg (126 KB, 1080x1794)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
My wife's naked ladies
>>
>>3058936
Don't let the mole rat hater anon see...
>>
>>3058943
Lemme tell you something
Mole Rats can run backwards at equivalent speeds to running forward.
Mole Rats can temporarily fuel organs with carbohydrates to dig out collapsed tunnels.
Unfortunately all MoleRats are more inbred then OP.
Their lips are behind their teeth
They have a communal waifu
>>
>>3058978
I'm pro-mole rat and I wouldn't really consider that tunnel shuffle "running". But they do do it because it doesn't matter which direction you're facing anyways. You're blind lol.
>>
>nocturnal animal that buries itself most of the time
>fears humans so doesn't cuddle
why keep these little rats as pets?
The only entertaining part of them is when they eat and drink, which admittedly is very cute.
>>
>>3059010
when i am on my bed in the evening watching videos/4chan on my laptop i let my syrian run around on my bed, he dont mind being touched and he likes to climb on me.

>The only entertaining part of them is when they eat and drink
how about: running in the wheel, bathing in sand, see/hear them digging, collecting food(i hide it,no bowl). also i like to build houses and toys for him.

>nocturnal animal that buries itself most of the time
i like it. the moment i realize he woke up i am always happy to see him, also i like when i go to the toilet at night and he justs sits there.
>>
How the fuck do I play with my gerbils
I sometimes let them loose on my computer desk (because they can chew important shit anywhere else in the house)
They are always moving around. They won't interact with me at all. They don't care if I touch them but they just ignore me. It's like I don't exist, they just keep running left and right. What is the point?
>>
>>3057957
They actually eat their poop so it makes sense they'd store that with their food
>>
File: z.jpg (2.7 MB, 3456x4608)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
Anyone know anything about ChinSpins or any other running wheel suitable for a chinchilla? Contemplating getting one but they're $140.
>>
>>3059010
I can't believe we still have bred this completely out of them for comcomplete docility yet, I blame the pet industry
>>
>>3059277
Take cute filtered pictures and short videos of you feeding them for Instagram so retards will want to buy gerbils and other antisocial small mammals like Robos because they look chill and cuddly in those 10 second long petting videos. Pet shops will sponsor you giving you access to those sweet ad revenue bux. It's all a scam and you're dumb for falling in it, the only way out is to climb the pyramid.
>>
>>3059556
I doubt there are ones at better prices than that, ChinSpins are sort of custom made i think since the size of a chinchilla is a bit more specific and bigger.
I know there was a way of making your own ChinSpin from a bowl, drilling some holes into it and put in some latch inside those holes in order to latch it onto the cage itself.
>>
>>3059561
I'm going for a cat after my gerbils die.
Heard that rats are different and can actually appreciate some bonding but I'm not falling for the rodent meme again. Last time was a syrian and it was more or less the same as the gerbils. With the exception that it died at winter.
>>
anyone else here a behavioral scientist?
I always wanna post pictures of my qts in these threads, but I'm technically not allowed
>>
>>3059675
Rats are great, get males if you dont want them to be all that jumpy. Get females if you do want them to be more active.
>>
>>3059694
No but I got a tentative offer that for a place that does pharma testing on mice. I'm sure this thread would disapprove
>>
>>3059705
But I do reward and motivation research. One of my rats has just kept their head in the nose poke for the past 15 min straight enjoying their laser stimulation.
>>
>>3059711
Like a laser light show? Cute
>>
File: frontrat.png (166 KB, 650x583)
166 KB
166 KB PNG
>>3059713
Nah optogenetics (pic related is just from google), I have transgenic rats that express a particular promoter on certain receptor subtypes so I can inject a virus into particular brain regions that will bind to said promoter allowing me to selectively activate neurons expressing aforementioned receptor in that specific area only by shining a laser at a particular wavelength down an optic fiber in their brain. We do have control virus's though in case the rats respond for the laser light show aspect.
>>
>>3059719
And the neuron activation feels good for the rats? You said you were testing behavior, how does it relate to that?
>>
>>3059725
>And the neuron activation feels good for the rats?
a bit of a complicated answer to that, let's say what I'm looking at I suspect is critical to motivation to acquire rewards, but not the hedonic aspect of rewards, so I'm not exactly sure if the rats like it, but they definitely want it (well for some receptor subtypes in some structures)

>You said you were testing behavior, how does it relate to that?
Right now I'm just running self stimulation, partially replicating past work, partially confirming a direction for a debate regarding a particular subtype in a particular sub region of a sub region of a sub region, and partially investigating sub regions that have not been in done so in this context, because they were traditionally associated with other behaviors, but recent evidence suggests they may be part of motivational circuitry.

I also do a lot of appetite/food stuff, the weirdest thing I have right now is that the thing I'm replicating, is working well for self stimulation, but I've also found it inhibits food approach behavior in certain environments, and conditions a flavor avoidance when paired with a particular smelling sucrose pellet or mnms, despite being something rats will work for.

I've also found in one subregion of a subregion at a particular set of laser parameters (strength/time/frequency) it induces stress, but my PI wasn't interested in that so I probably won't pursue it for another year or so.
>>
>>3059734
Cool stuff, seriously. Is there a larger theme for the study such as factors for human obesity?
>>
>>3059749
My research is a bit more at the 'basic' level in the sense that the labs we collaborate with often do the 'next step' with obese models etc...but one of the other graduate students in the lab does most of the drug dependence stuff (specifically psychostimulants and opioids) in collaboration with another lab. Most of our funding comes from the drug and obesity institutes of the NIH though.
Before this lab I did alcohol/obesity research which was more intended for practical value.
The intention with our current work is to improve upon and develop overarching models of reward, pleasure, and motivation that in a sense is translatable to all sorts of rewards (drugs, food, sex, exercise, socialization), and reward related pathologies (obesity, addiction/drug dependence, arguably anorexia in my opinion).
>>
File: IMG_20190523_192657375.jpg (2.69 MB, 4032x3024)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
>>3059675
My rats just want to cuddle all day
>>
>>3059771
Anorexia can be very reward-oriented and addicting so I agree with you there. Just the "reward" is the weight loss and not the food.
Another big idea I've heard of recently that relates to channers is the reward effects of gaming and porn and how they fuck up a brain in a similar way to drugs. So your work should be very relevant.
I hope you don't mind all the questions, it just seems like you have a cool job.
Have you found anything particularly interesting that you're allowed to share?
>>
>>3059792
No problem, I'm just watching my rats making sure they don't chew on the laser cables or anything (they cost ~$150 ea to buy, and are also a pain in the ass to make by hand). Though I also have undergraduates doing tasks for me, and make sure I'm not posting on 4chan when they walk into my operant room.
The anorexia stuff is debated, not everyone thinks along those lines, and evidence is thin (e.g. only in humans) since all the animal models of it are mediocre at best, other than activity induced anorexia, maybe.
Gaming and pornography are relevant, but I exclusively do animal work, so those aren't really things I think about (other than gambling via lootboxes)
We have some really interesting stuff that is unpublished at the moment and I cannot share it, and I can't really go into specifics in this lab because my PI is somewhat famous (within the scientific community) so it could become easy to identify the lab at least.
A lot of the earlier work I did as a postbac involving a specific set of peptides involved in glucose homeostasis (not going to be specific here since too few labs work on this sort of thing so you could identify my old lab maybe), has led to recent work (that I'm often asked to review lol) examining using already established diabetes medications manipulating some of these peptides in the context of drug dependence (specifically in alcoholics, and there's a cocaine paper that's through review but idk if it's out yet)
And some other work involving an appetitive peptide in alcohol dependence that now has some drugs targeting it in clinical trials at the NIH, but I personally disagree with that and think it won't be successful and will have negative mental health side effects in a rimonabant sort of fashion.
For weight loss, the only consistently effective treatment is roux en y gastric bypass surgery, which results in a variety of alterations to appetitive circuitry...
>>
>>3059816
Some of the aforementioned circuits interactions being things I first examined with my past lab (at the time of publication), though that was a long time ago and I'm in a different 'field' of neuroscience now in the sense that I use different lab techniques and behavioral measures with different goals.
>>
>>3059816
>evidence is thin
heh
>>
File: vnvwv92cuda11.jpg (887 KB, 3024x4032)
887 KB
887 KB JPG
I want to get rats but the thing that ALWAYS keeps me from getting any is the fact that they have very short life spans. I don't want to end up getting attached to them only to get hurt once they die.
>>
>>3059771
Shaham's lab?
>>
>>3059816
Either Shaham's or Kiyatkin's. In any case get back to work and stop wasting tax-payers' money on 4chins
>>
Hipotetically speaking, how a hiper intelligent race of hamsters would dominate the world?
>>
>>3052837
>he still seems really anti-social or overall scared about human contact, he always seems angry or bitter as well

Chinchillas are like that. We took on 2 last year that were needing rehomed and joind a facebook group and a bunch of people were saying they can take years to come round. Ours are the same. One is just scared of everything and the other was friendly until we need to pull out some matted fur and now he hates us.
>>
>>3060013
>>3060025
Hehehe close.
>>
File: 1559931962020.png (685 KB, 1080x1073)
685 KB
685 KB PNG
>>3060043
STOP WASTING MY MONEY
>>
File: 20190620_230638.jpg (3.19 MB, 4128x3096)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB JPG
>>3050156
Are those teeth too long? I dont think she has problems, but idk they look long
>>
>>3050572
Cute little nuggets! When I was in middle school my parents got me a guinea pig, and apparently she had gotten pregnant in the pet store because after a while she popped out this little one. Out of all animals, I think they have the cutest newborns, they're so fluffy!
>>
>>3060152
Normal for Syrian, you don't expect them to be so long until you see them yawn.

Keep making sure its got wood and mineral blocks or something to gnaw on.
>>
File: 11863302.jpg (77 KB, 528x960)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>3052837

I'm sorry to hear your chin feels that way; that is the unfortunate thing about them. A lot of people get them thinking they can be treated like a hamster or guinea pig but they're rather complex creatures that require specific care.

How long ago did you rescue him?

It can take them time - sometimes a good year or two - to really start to come out of their shell. I have a few suggestions to perhaps help your lil' guy get use and (hopefully) bond with you.

1) Put an article of clothing you've worn in the cage - this will help him get use to your scent
2) When you're gone, play a very quiet talk show on the radio or TV - this will help him get use to the sound of people
3) Talk to him - for the first few months that I got mine, I use to sit by the cage and read him stories. It got him use to my voice
4) Always let him come to you - if you have him out, just sit there and let him explore the room and you
5) Never grab him in the cage unless absolutely necessary - always keep "his house" as a safe place for him; maybe not pet him in there for awhile either

I have no idea if any of this will work, but it's what I did when I got my lil' dude (pic relate) and now he's my best friend. Sure he doesn't like being picked up, but he follows me around the house and is super interactive with my husband and I. Granted her got him when he was 6 months and he was already adventurous, but I like to believe it helped him bond with us.
>>
>>3059556

I need to get one of those; they're worth it from what I hear.

Too many of the pet store wheals are too small for chinchillas. It can cause them back/neck pains. My chin stopped using his wheel because he can't go super faster anymore now that he's full grown. I've just been bad at getting a bigger one for him.
>>
>>3060185
>mineral blocks
Don't, they are terribly unhealthy.
>>
File: IMG_20190620_230538.jpg (1.8 MB, 2610x4640)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
Preparing the hamster space >>3050853 for gerbils. DIY'd a cover.
I'm probably gonna pick up 2 gerbils from a shelter next week, because fuck pet shops.
>>
>>3060185
>>3060199

she has wood and hard dog biskuits
>>
File: IMG_20190620_230553.jpg (1.45 MB, 4640x2610)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>3060207
Found an oversized wineglass in the local thrift shop, the perfect sandbath, I can set it on a shelf so they can't dig under it, and it'll still be tall enough that they (hopefully) can't fill it with bedding and/or shove all the sand out of it.
>>
File: IMG_20190620_230614.jpg (1.2 MB, 4640x2610)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>3060212
And I'm lacquering all pee-able surfaces.
/blog
I love preparing for new stuff.
>>
>>3060213
maybe glue the poles instead of screws because gerbis chew everything and they can hurt themselfes this way, other things looking nice!
>>
File: 1559237227217.png (90 KB, 212x236)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
I have two gerbils, both about 1 year old
I want to get a cat
Is this possible or feasible in any way?
>>
>>3060220
Good call, thanks!
>>
File: IMG_20190320_111542.jpg (939 KB, 2592x1944)
939 KB
939 KB JPG
>>3060188
>How long ago did you rescue him?
I think it's barely been a year since I've been taking PERSONAL care of him
Dad got him on January 2017 from a pet shop, didn't even ask his age though but I think he might've been at least 1 or 2 months old maybe, he was still tiny and frail. He spent the entirety of 2017 and a bit of 2018 in dad's care.
I'm guessing he's either not fully used to me, or just scared in general about human males because of my father? I can't tell.

>1)
I didn't know you could do that. I usually just got more worried about the fact he might try to eat whatever clothing I'd give him and maybe choke on it or have it get stuck in his intestines.
>5)
I know that's a major problem but for now I keep having to take him out by myself whenever I want to clean his cage, it's not the kind of cage that can be cleaned just by opening the door and scrapping away any filth, I actually have to take it apart for a while. I'm hoping to get him a way bigger and better cage in a few months once I move out so that shouldn't be that much of a problem anymore soon.

>2) 3) 4)
As for these, I can give those a positive check.
I leave the TV open for him, I talk to him, even if I don't have time to sit there sometimes, I just greet him and call him by his name whenever I walk by his cage and I let him run around and explore... Although as I previously said, it's still a bit frustrating at times when he manages to somehow hide behind or under something that and won't come out for a while, makes it harder to end his playtime whenever time goes up or something like that because he just won't come out.
>>
>>3060270
Judging from him being the standard ebony, I assume he's from Petsmart? If so, they have one of the worst environments. I want to buy everyone of them to get them out of there but I don't want to promote their mile-style breeding. It may take him a bit longer to feel comfortable.

1) I was concerned at first too but they don't tear or eat cloth. This was a tip I saw a lot of people do when I was researching chinchillas before getting one. Mine had a small stuffed bunny that he sleeps with now for extra comfort.

2-5) I can see where that'd be complicated with him being so scared.

When you let him out, is it in a small or large room?

What his bedtime routine if you have him out?
>>
>>3060295
>I assume he's from Petsmart?
> If so, they have one of the worst environments.
Close enough to it. I'm from Europe so we don't have 'Petsmart' itself in here. He did have a pretty bad place there though, sat in this sort of medium to small glass cage together with ANOTHER chinchilla which was white, they must've been buddies or something, they had bedding made out of this white wood or something, I'm pretty sure that entire place was meant for hamsters or so, not chinchillas. I wanted to take in both him and the white one but they sold a chinchilla there for $100 and dad thought it was too expensive in our currency here to get 2 of them... So basically we got him away from a chinchilla friend he might already had a bond with.

The room itself is a larger hallway that he gets to freely run and jump around in, only problem is that he doesn't do that, just slowly walks around sniffing at stuff then gets scared and hides for long periods of time without wanting to explore anymore. I can't have him out during the day since my family still walks through there and I'd risk having him bolt outside the house, which is not good, so I usually let him out for 1~2 hours or so during the night when everyone is in their beds. I haven't noticed a concrete routine for him at all... He's sleepy at random times of the day, sometimes i'll catch him sleeping throughout the morning, sometimes he's up and alert, sometimes in the afternoon he's just eating, other times he sleeps, I just know that at night he's definitely active, since that's when he plays with whatever he has in his cage the most, drops stuff around in the cage, etc.
I've read before about how they like routine themselves so I always try to keep doing stuff like feeding him and letting him out at set times, I fill his food bowl usually in the morning, I refill it around 6PM if he emptied it by then, I let him out of the cage around 10PM and try to get him back in at midnight.
>>
Should I get a hamster in college?How long would the little fuckers live for
>>
>>3060327

Oh damn....if he had a friend that he bonded to before being sold, then he maybe depressed that his friend is gone. If chinchillas bond with each other, it can really be hard for them to "move on". The poor thing is probably having some serve shock and it's definitely going to take him time. Giving him time and space and patience is really the best thing you can do.

Is there any place away from your family that he can go?

He really needs a space that is his. A place that doesn't smell like a bunch of people that he can become familiar with. He's going to be scared for awhile and hide. Even with much easier life, my chin would hide for hours for a good 2 years. They're prey animals so they naturally are afraid of sudden movements, sounds, and changes. Him hiding is normal and it's best to not disturb physically but still talk to him - as silly as it may sound.

They definitely have routines, and often adjust to the routine of their human. For example, mine is normally up waiting for breakfast when my alarm goes off for work and if I sleep in on day off, he's sitting by his bowl giving me the stink eye. Keeping up with his routine until he becomes more comfortable is important; it'll give him stability.
>>
File: IMG_20190221_155128.jpg (982 KB, 2592x1944)
982 KB
982 KB JPG
>>3060343
He's actually had another chinchilla the same color as him at some point when dad took care of him, she was a female, they sort of fought but I'm guessing it was the common domination thing, I made sure to watch over them when it happened, no blood was drawn then a few days later they would sit really close next to each other and sleep together, it was cute before that decided to put them inside this old wooden rabbit cage we had in the backyard, it wasn't really a good place because the wood was moldy and it was pretty unsanitary in there, he kept feeding them bad stuff that they probably couldn't digest properly, corn, grain, etc.
He sort of ''banned'' me from interacting with them at that point because he said he knew what his doing, few months later and the female chinchilla turns up dead when he went to check on them, apparently she's been dead for several days though apparently because the body was already in process of decaying. He just took the little guy, handing it over to me, he looked obviously scared and traumatized or something, his fur was all messy and sort of stringy to the touch, no longer soft at all, I think I had him in my arms for about 30 minutes when he wouldn't even flinch or anything, which was normal for him to not want to be held, though now he didn't seem to have any problem with it.

Basically that's when dad decided he no longer wanted to take care of it by himself and said the chinchilla was ''my responsibility'' now because it was somehow my fault that the other chinchilla died. I'm pretty sure that because of the death of that other chinchilla and the fact he was sitting there for at least a few days with her corpse just there must've really messed with him as well.

I'm moving out on my own in a few months, so he'll finally get a bigger cage and his own sort of space to be in finally. I'm thinking of maybe getting 2 female chinchillas at some point too, possibly get him socialized properly then as well.
>>
File: 20180519_204843.jpg (1.63 MB, 4032x3024)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
>>3060366

Goddamn that's sad and fills me with anger. I can't imagine just leaving 2 chinchillas like that and not noticing one of them being sick or whatever. No wonder your chin is so afraid.

If you do get him a new friend, I'd suggest just one and start off with separate cages. Slowly introduce them to each others and be aware that there's no guarantee that they'll bond.
>>
>>3060330
2-3 years max. Make sure they have enough space (both surface area & digging depth) and a big enough running wheel. Whatever you can buy in the pet shop is inadequate.
>>
At what age should I breed my female rats?
>>
>>3060428
Thanks. Was about to ask for advice on how I should handle them if I get new ones but I ran out of letter space. I just thought I'd get 2 females to have them properly socialized in their own cage in case he won't bond with a single new one.. thought of keeping their cage near the other one with the male, enough for them to be able to see or talk to each other, but not actually make physical contact with him unless playtime.

I see yours has that castle thingy he sits on, I'm guessing it's made out of wood? Does he not chew on it or anything like that?
>>
>>3050158
Girls post here? Omg will I be my gf
>>
File: 1554124500754.jpg (7 KB, 194x259)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>3060717
thought that'd be obvious
>>
>>3060177
oh god, theyre so fucking cute.

>>3050338
>>3050858
OP here, i went to petsmart today and held a fancy mouse and i was SOLD. it was so soft and beautiful and cute, and i took a look at the dwarf hams they had and they seemed feral and not what i wanted. as soon as i can im gonna get two fancy mice females and im so excited. :)
>>
>>3060859
Males are better for beginners
>>
File: IMG_0679.jpg (3.21 MB, 4272x2848)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB JPG
>>
File: Untitled.png (218 KB, 538x178)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
Which is better? I am leaning toward dwarf since to me they are cuter and they have less poop/pee to clean, but I heard they don't tame as well as Syrians? Some people say they tame better than Syrians. Lots of conflicting info
>>
>>3062923
i have booth. my syrian is more tame, you can just grab him and he dont bother at all, he is only awake in evening and night.

my dwarf is really curious and comes everytime he hears something, even at daytime he is active, but he gently test bites me every time and dont like to be hold for too long.

i dont want to miss either, i like them both.
but my perfect hamster would be a syrian who is active during day.
>>
File: 20190622_134021.jpg (2.37 MB, 1960x2903)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
>>3052336
I got my cage on letgo for $10 and it fits 4 comfortably. It was second hand, so i gave it a nice deep cleaning, but the cage retails for $100 so it was worth it.

Google "rat cage calculator" and you can check what cage dimensions you'll need

Critter nations are meh tier, just shilled hard. Rats like to dig, so get a cage with a deep bottom.

It they have issues chewing through plastic, get them more chew toys. Mine have never had chewing issues
>>
File: IMG_20190625_000704.jpg (479 KB, 2133x1200)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
>>3062923
I think dwarfs are cuter.

>>3060213
Finished filling up the cage today. Waited till 11pm and I'm still sweating my ass off.
>>
File: IMG_20190625_000740.jpg (188 KB, 675x1200)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>3064002
>>
File: IMG_20190625_000816.jpg (497 KB, 2133x1200)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20190625_000905.jpg (702 KB, 2133x1200)
702 KB
702 KB JPG
>>3064013
>>
>>3064002
>>3064006
>>3064013
>>3064014
How to you stop shit like mites building up in that?
>>
>>3064016
I pray I never get them.
>>
>>3064002
how do they come in/out of the sand glass?
>>
>>3064325
They can jump in and out, I suppose.
If not, I'll add some more sand and a ladder.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.