[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: hammu.jpg (443 KB, 1536x2048)
443 KB
443 KB JPG
anyone with hamster experience? i'm thinking two Winter White dwarfs, or two campbells, but i don't want them to attack eachother once they reach maturity.... has anyone kept dwarfs together?

maybe ill even get a syrian...are dwarf hamsters friendly?? i want the friendliest hamster i can get
>>
>>3050156
also, post pics of rodents u enjoy
>>
roborovski dwarf hamster , the tiniest and fastest hamster!
>>
>>3050156
Even if you have a huge cage there's no guarantee that dwarf hamsters won't attack each other. I had two femals Russian dwarf hamsters in an enclosure made from an IKEA detolf and they were fine for a couple of months. Then suddenly they started fighting over one of the wheels to the point of drawing blood (there were 2 normal wheels and 2 saucer wheels), so I have to separate them. I put in one of the glass shelves as a divider and split the cage in two but they'll still go to the very corners and try to get at each other. So you could try keeping them together but watch out for any fighting because it can escalate.
>>
>>3050162
): thanks for the input. yeah i've heard about that happening and i don't really have the funds for two separate enclosures since im a broke college student. ive heard a lot of stories about infighting so i guess ill get one because i dont want to risk it. did your individual hamsters like you after some time? were they like, cuddly, or did they just kind of speed racer all over you? i want one i can pet, and i know syrians can be chill.

i really cant wait to get one, probably next week or so. : )
>>
>>3050166
When I got them one was already tame and didn't mind when I picked it up and pet it, the other one will walk onto my hand if I have food but will run away if I try to pick it up or pet her. It all depends on their personality. If you want one that you can pet from the beginning then a Syrian would be better, but they need more space.
>>
>>3050158
He cute
>>
>>3050156
If you're not dead set on hamsters and you want friendly both to you and each other, get rats.
>>
File: IMG_20190608_205329.jpg (3.28 MB, 4864x2736)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
These little guys are 2 weeks old now - All chocs, one blue Burmese and one mock choc.

Their eyes opened yesterday and they're cute as fuck right now.
>>
>>3050166
>a broke college student
get a snail. Hamsters aren't cheap if you don't neglect them.
>>
>>3050236
OP is a broke college student so likely no funds and no space, do you really want rats to be housed in some glorified hamster cage?
>>
>>3050308
>>3050312
i mean im going to try to do well for the singular ham, but i couldn't do justice to both. im doing a bin cage setup with this http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=608&ProductCategory=252&section=1 , or maybe something bigger if i can find it at the store. im not just getting some shitty petsmart cage haha. also i have a hedgehog rn and i definitely dont neglect her, dont worry im not gonna torture this hamster guys.

>>3050236
rats seem adorable and intelligent but the tails weird me out ): and i think they need more space than i can afford. thanks though!
>>
>>3050302
oh my god theyre so sweet. are those mice or rats, i cant tell.
whats their behavior and demeanor like, do they like you? aww. :)
>>
File: IMG_20190608_205048.jpg (3.68 MB, 4864x2736)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>3050328
They're mice! It's actually a bit of a story..

They were always intended to be bred together, but the female destroyed her tub AND the males, loosing them into our house for over a month.
The male just waddled up to me one day and was happy to be returned, and we eventually found the female only when she gave birth and we heard the pups squeaking.. But since being back in a new (glass) tank, she's become extra affectionate and has let me manhandle the babies from day one.

This is my first experience with mice instead of rats, so I'm really impressed!

>Blurry pic of mum and dad.
She was already visibly pregnant again, so I'm leaving dad in to help rear until she is about to pop. He's been a really good dad so far, and she'll be retired from breeding after this next litter.
>>
>>3050338
Mice a fun little things, especially when you get them super friendly. I had one that would come out to the top of his cage to greet me when he heard my voice, I could also just pick him up off the floor if he escaped.
>>
File: peanuts.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>3050302
cute little beans
>>
>>3050572
i would die for them wtf. i want to pick them up and kiss their heads
>>
File: 1560169854282.png (88 KB, 568x548)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>
File: _DSC0007.jpg (137 KB, 1200x800)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
My old robo (2j2m) died tonight :( She was a good ham.

@OP don't get a robo if you want something cuddly, they are sanic. Regular dwarfs are ok, and easy to tame. Syrians are more chill I've heard, but I don't like their size, for something that big I'd rather have rats.
Campbells can live in groups, but the cage must have specific dimensions depending on group size, it can be too big too for them. And seperation must be an option, so in your case I'd go for a single hamster.
The bigger the cage, the better. Don't add space with plateaus n shit, they barely climb and have no depth perception. And they're stupid, mine would fall off the same ledge, face first, over and over again.
Add as much bedding as possible, mix it with hay so its tunnels don't collapse.
>>
>>3050325
Also, that bin cage is rather small.
34x12", 408sqi
Recommended for a dwarf is 28x20", or 560sqi equivalent. For syrian 40x20", or 800sqi equivalent. With 10"+ of bedding. They are diggers.
>>
File: 1424531445292.jpg (325 KB, 1383x1600)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>3050853
Rest in peace little hammy, she lived a good life.
>>
From my experience hamsters are literal hellspawn. They're wild fucking animals. Most of them will bite whatever the fuck they come in contact with because they don't like to be touched, they're like autistic Chihuahuas but even smaller. They will screech and bite and then run around all fat and shit. I once went to a pet store and there was a hamster there just demonically screaming at everyone. Get a mouse or a rat.
>>
>>3050156
two males are better then two femals since females are more terretorial when it comes to food, males on the other hand fight for acces to females but if there are non around they are usually chill, every breed is friendly and easy to handle if you follow a few rules. such as leaving them alone for the first 3 days with a blnket over the enclosure start handeling after they are accoustemed to the sounds and smells of your home
>>
>>3050853
im so sorry to hear that.): rest in peace sweet bb. what was her name?

my hedgehog is in the process of dying and i have to decide whether or not to put her down. its fucking so painful i didnt know i could feel so much for an animal the size of my hand.

thanks for the advice, ive seen robos going mach 10 and its too fast. i think im going to go with a mouse or a dwarf ham.

>>3050856
thank you! where did you get that info from? i'll try to get bigger im just not sure where to go. maybe ill try lowes/homedepot. ikea detolf looks really good, maybe that too but it would have to go on the floor...idk where in my house.

>>3050858
ahahaha i hope i dont have your experience. i can't say you didn't warn me!

>>3050859
thank you!
>>
File: gotta go fast.webm (1.87 MB, 710x400)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB WEBM
>>3051087
>im so sorry to hear that.): rest in peace sweet bb. what was her name?
Thanks bruh. Good luck with the Hedgehog ;_;
I named her Haruko (the Vespa lady from FLCL), because I'm a weeb, and she loved going fast.
Pic related, that's a 140cm (55") wide tank. Ignore the bare furnishing, I only just got her, it improved a lot in the next few weeks.
>>
File: IMG_20180627_230813.jpg (1.99 MB, 4640x2610)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>3050857
Thanks mang. I like to think she did. I got her when she was a year old already, someone dumped her at a local rodent shelter... She got quite the upgrade, pic related
>>3051176
>improved a lot in the next few weeks
Pic related
>>
>>3051087
>>>3050856(You)
>thank you! where did you get that info from? A local site (in Dutch) that collects that sort of info for a wide range of pets, because pet stores & the general public know fuck all, so there's a central information point we can refer to.
Detolf is used a lot, but it's a bit limited in height, which is a downside for digging animals (hamster, gerbil), and a bit less for mice, afaik they just like everything, bit of digging, bit of climbing.
There's other ikea options too (Billy, for instance, google ikea billy hamster) if you don't mind some DIY, if there's wood parts you can just treat em with a food safe laquer to prevent piss from soaking in. Surface area is what counts, so you can go for something more square instead of long too, if that fits better.
>>
i would never ever plan to keep 2 hamsters together, they are solitary animals. it can work but the chances are bad, but the chances that at least one will get hurt are high. they dont need "friends" its against their nature, they only meet each other when its time to make babies.

also: look up wheel sizes, small wheels are bad for the back. when he uses it the head+back+tail needs to be one straight line.
>>
>>3051186
>they are solitary animals
Robos en bellies live in groups in the wild. Can be kept together in cages too, but it can still go wrong sometimes.
>>
>>3051176
that video is so ridiculous, i cant believe how fast she goes! those little legs are too powerful, holy shit. rip haruko, lil babe. that upgraded cage is awesome!

>>3051182
i've got a small house and desu billy is big as shit

>>3051186
thanks for your input! yeah i think ill do one. its funny how we anthropomorphize them and assume they need friends. thanks for the wheel tip, i've heard it before. i already have a big one for my hedgehog that i'll sanitize and give to the ham!
>>
File: running slowmo.webm (580 KB, 800x450)
580 KB
580 KB WEBM
>>3051191
>i cant believe how fast she goes! those little legs are too powerful, holy shit
Right? Here's a slowmo in the running wheel.
>>
File: runningwebm.webm (1.44 MB, 888x500)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB WEBM
>>3051215
And realtime speed. All you could hear from her legs was 'fffrrrrr'
>>
>>3050720
Baby guinea pigs are one of the softest elements known to man.
I had a pair that had 5 babies, the mother was an albino so 2 of those were as well. We kept one of them, once she matured she had black-tipped ears and a black patch of fur on her nose, I never knew albinos could have other bits of colors on them.
>>
File: Spurdo.jpg (102 KB, 1600x900)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>3051221
>>3051215
Holy shit. I'm glad I realized early that I need to get a bigger bin for my dwarf boi. I knew they were zippy bois but not this much. I bought a big 50 gallon tub that I'm gonna transfer my new one in
>>
>>3051178
That's one nice tank. How often did you clean that and how much of a pain was it?

Also did you make that wheel? If so can I have the plan?
>>
>>3051248
The point coloring is basically temperature sensative albinism. Fur in the cooler areas of the body will be normal black and the hotter area white. It's the same as Siamese/Burmese cats and pugs.
>>
>>3051482
Post pics!!!

Here’s my hedgehog. She’s sleepy in this picture bc she was cuddling on me. Her name is luna and she likes belly rubs. When I pet her she will sometimes flip over progressively so she’s on her side to increase the belly pet radius. She’s totally retarded but I love her a lot.
>>
Baby pic of Luna. She was very teeney and now she’s an old woman (approaching 3 years).
>>
>>3051532
I'm not home at the moment but tomorrow once I get the new bin set up ill definitely poast. Hopefully it makes him happier because he's screamed at me a few times probably from cage aggresion.
>>
>>3051482
Note that the one in the webms is a roborovski dwarf, regular dwarfs are a bit less sanic.

>>3051491
Cheers. I cleaned it every 4~6 months, depending on smell. The most annoying part was that my wood shavings are in the garage, and I live on the first floor, so I'd have to go down the stairs with a big bin, scrape some off the big compressed block (this cost me the most time because I can't just cut it all open and spread it out), back up the stairs, dump it all in, add a layer of hay, and back down again, about 5 or 6 times for filling it like in that pic.
But overall, since it's only a few times a year, it's not that bad.

I bought the wheel, brand is Trixie.

>>3051532
<3 Luna (Lovegood? Or just regular Luna?)
How old do they get? And how's the smell?
>>
>>3050156
Hey /a/, I have a guinea pig for a couple months already, but she's always scared shitless whenever I try to grab her and she struggles and scratches.
How do I make her feel comfortable or playful? She does nothing except screech, shit and then throw her shit out on the floor
>>
chelabinsk hamster best hamster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd-BeDQWjXs
>>
>>3051832
she actually doesn't have a "bad" smell really. I've grown to love he familiar clean/wet hedgehog scent that occurs when I bathe her. however the poop and pee smells gnarly but it could be worse. as long as their cages are kept shit free it's fine.

just regular Luna, not love good. :)

also they get like, idk 2-3 years old? I forget
>>
File: 20190602_114548.jpg (1.21 MB, 3024x4032)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
I've got two rats though I kind of want to get a third one. Though I'd need to buy a bigger cage first. Anybody know any good ones to buy?
>>
>>3052336
They also keep keep chewing out the plastic tray at the bottom so I need a cage that has a metal one.
>>
>>3052336
critter nation
>>
>>3051840
You should never have only one guinea pig, that makes them more nervous.
>>
Ferret Kingdom cages are considered the best for rats, and are all metal. A lot of people build their own inner trays out of corflute for easy cleaning - and it doesn't matter if they chew it because there's still the metal base to hold them in.
>>
File: b800 98.jpg (88 KB, 600x800)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>3052404
>Ferret Kingdom cages
Don't have those here in Europe. At least I don't think so, I looked all over the place, including online and only places you can get them is from UK or USA, the shipping cost is so fucking bad that it basically doubles the entire price of the cage alone.

On the other hand I found this caged named 'Perfect Maxi' that actually sells in Europe and that I might be able to physically buy from a pet store in my country in case I need to see it for myself in person.

>pic related is the cage with 2 chinchillas in it
I'm guessing it's spacious enough?
For me so far it looks like one of the best possible cages I could get because mainly any ''special'' type of cage I'd look after in here that's made for housing rodents or ferrets is always tiny as hell, not even 2 levels most of the time.
>>
File: VID_20190320_111912.webm (2.95 MB, 720x1280)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
been taking care of a chinchilla for about 2 years now.
he was formerly abused by my father, (unknowingly of him though because he actually just didn't know how to raise it or take care of it properly and just thought it was rat or some more 'basic' pet like a cat) and so far he still hasn't seemed to warm up to me at all.
he still seems really anti-social or overall scared about human contact, he always seems angry or bitter as well, (not sure how i can tell that though, i think it's just the eyes or the way he looks)
i hear he used to bite or nip a lot but he doesn't really seem to be doing that at all with me. again, he's really scared and afraid, even if i let him out to play, he'll find some place to crawl under or hide whenever i make the smallest move then won't come out of there for a long time, if he does decide to come out and seems me move even an inch too fast, he's back to hiding.
it's kind of annoying honestly and i'm not sure if he's ever going to recover or trust me for that matter at all but i'll do whatever it takes to at least keep him alive and well cared for.
>>
>>3052790
Critter nation is supposed to be one of the best you can get, and they are also available in Europe.
>>
I brought home a new rat today, but it escaped and hid under a dresser. How do I get it out.

This is the first rat that to ever escape from me.
>>
>>3053632
Nevermind, I managed to flush her out. She's fine, though scared by a broom. Not a good first impression, lol.
>>
Hamsters are anti social and stupid

They only come out at night to horde food in their enclosure
>>
I had a bunch of female hamsters as a kid and man do they stink when they get horny.
>>
>>3052837
Man, that sucks. You try to understand why it behaves like that and you realize it sees you as a kind of monster holding you trapped.
>>
>>3050853
I would agree to not get a robo unless you're more into watching the little ham instead of handling it. I would consider them a bit more for experienced owners. You can tame them, especially if you can get them young, but otherwise they're usually hyper drive all the time.
>>
>>3052837
i hate your dad
>>
File: 20190601_201056.jpg (3.68 MB, 4032x3024)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>3050156
My current syrian hamster (she's eating a pretzel stick)
>>
>>3054494
cute! looks like a rat from that angle tho
>>
>>3050572
Those are baby guinea pigs, not hamsters. Still cute tho :).
>>
So whenever I want my dwarf hamster to come out for taming or whatever all I do is un-bury his food bowl. For some reason he ALWAYS comes out a couple minutes later to rebury it where I then lure him into a plastic jug to bring him to his playpen/bathtub. Am I fucking up my hamster this way or is this normal?

Pic related: His bin
>>
>>3055107
That doesn't sound bad to me but I'm not an expert on hamster psychology
>>
>>3055114
He doesnt run at the sight of me or my hand in the bin. The only time he verbally gets pissed off at me is when I overstay my welcome in his bin or the one time I gently brushed him with my thumb.

The way experts talk about these creatures makes you think any little thing will make them get wet tail and die
>>
>>3050158
My robo recently passed away. She’s buried out back with her toys and some snacks. She was a good hamster.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.