[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: birb.jpg (71 KB, 900x1600)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
Guys this morning i found this little bird layng on the street far from every place that could seem like its nest. He was facing upwards and he was trying to move. i brought him home and now i don't know hot to properly take care of him, at least till he is capable of flying.
after a little research on the internet i found that it is an Apus apus.
I know that he should eat insects, but i don't know how many and wath types are good or not.
I thought that maybe you guys could help me out, thanks in advance for your support.
>>
Is it injured? It not walking is normal, swifts really can't walk since their legs are so small and so far on theit bodies. If it's not injured in any way you should release it, that's a fledgling, not a baby, it's normal for them to leave their nests. But don't put it on the ground, put it on a tree or wall so it can take off.
>>
>find birb
>birb can cleary perform advanced mathematics
>not keeping it as a feathered calculator
>>
>>3049907
Wait, i was thinking adult swifts when i said to release it right away, DON'T do this, sorry, i'm very tired and sleepy. Setting up a wood box under your roof for a nest is a good idea so at least it has somewhere to shelter. And give it water and bugs, any non-poisonous insects work, just don't give it fruit or meat or anything else. But it not walking IS normal indeed, swifts can't walk.
>>
>>3049876
You just kidnapped a fledgling stupid.

Little guy left the nest to explore/walk around and his parents would have been watching from afar and feeding him when necessary but you went and kidnapped him with no provisions ready to feed him with at home so he's just starving.

How long have you been holding him captive? Please say you've given it some water at least.

If it's been only an hour or so. Give him some water and take him back where you found him immediately, and put him someplace safe away from the road and sidewalk. He'll call for his parents. Then go to the pet store and go buy some live mealworms for him and his parents as an apology for the kidnap. Give a few to him and leave the rest nearby.

If it's been more than a few hours he will be needing food Right Now. Fledgling birds need feeding every few hours and bird raising is a huge full time commitment and you have literally 0 knowledge so I guess call a wild life center on the way to the pet store to pick up baby bird food, ask them what do to and tell them you fucked up. When you get to the pet store ask the clerks. If they're not helpful buy whatever fresh bugs they had and cut it up at home so you don't choke the little guy with a fat ass inch long cricket. Make the trip speedy because birdy hungry.

Idiot.
>>
You are supposed to move it off the street and leave alone.
>>
>>3049912
>Setting up a wood box under your roof for a nest is a good idea so at least it has somewhere to shelter.
You really think OP has it together enough to set up a roofbox and feedtray in time when he hasn't even gone and bought food?

DO NOT do this OP. The parents won't ever find it and it will just starve in the box or it will leave again and starve outside, if you do you'll need to keep an eye on it's whereabout 24/7 like a mama bird so you can find it and feed it.
>>
>>3049913
I found it practically on the road, near the wheels of a car being repaired by a mechanic, practically in the city. Not knowing what to do I decided to take it looking for a safer place, but there was only cement and sun, so I brought it home and with a syringe I gave it to drink.

I didn't have the slightest intention of making a mess, I'm really sorry.

do you think bringing him back where he found it is the best thing? it's practically a city zone, I wouldn't know where to leave it, please help
>>
>>3049921
Swifts nest in the ledge of building and houses usually so yeah you missed the nest.

How long has it been?
>>
>>3049923
five hours or so
>>
>>3049925
Christ.

Don't syringe water, you'll likely over hydrate it. Give it the water in a spoon and let it drink by itself.

Find some bugs in your yard if you have one right now, avoid butterflies and brightly coloured moths. Feed it Right Now, then drive the nearest pet store in the mean time and get food bugs immediately. Get fresh but if it's a tiny pet store and they don't stock fresh for whatever reason buy dried and soak in water. Or if you have someone else around to help you can delegate.
>>
>>3049928
i just let little drops of water fall, like two or three, i gave him a very small amount of water.
While someone buys me food i should bring him where i found or what?
>>
>>3049932
How long will they be? Go bug hunting and look for food for him, he hasn't eaten for over 5 hours.
>>
>>3049936
are fruit flies good?
>>
>>3049932
After it's fed go back to where you found it, WITHOUT the bird in tow. Then look harder for swift nests. Watch for flying birds and listen too to see where they might be.

Once you've located the nest, if you can put the bird back do that, it you can't reach locate a safe spot far away from cars, foot traffic, people, and other animals that's also near the nest; go home, feed the bird some more, pick up the bird and leave it in the safe spot with some bugs.

Watch from inside your car or a good distance away and watch until you see the swift mama coming to look for baby. Don't be too close or the mama won't come.

If nobirdy comes for the baby in 3/4 hours call a wildlife centre.
>>
>>3049940
They're tiny so you'll need quite a few but they'll do in the meantime.
>>
Keep us updated, OP. Hope everything works out
>>
>>3049942
>call a wildlife centre
>for a fucking swallow
Just keep the thing fed and hydrated and buy it a large cage. Congratulations on your new bird, OP, try not to kill it.
>>
>>3049876

poor birdy. he looks like the ones that keep flying into my garage and then are eaten by my shit cat.
>>
>>3050032
They're gonna have to get involved sooner or later for rehab if OP doesn't want the bird to die on release but who knows maybe with the help of 4channel, Google, a lot of time and money, OP can learn how to rehab a bird.
>>
>>3049913
Feel free to make that rant in any other thread about oblivious OPs who grab baby birds, but that's a young swift. It's not normal to find a swift on ground-level at all. Even healthy adult swifts can't really walk, and it can be difficult for them to take off from ground-level. This bird was already in trouble before OP found it.

Was there any kind of building nearby the spot where you found the bird, OP? Swifts can often build their nest around the eaves of buildings; inside small crevices near the roof, somewhere that's too high to reach without a ladder.

I don't have experience with taking care of baby swifts, but the articles I'm finding online recommend looking for some kind of wildlife center that can take care of their needs.
>>
>>3049912
Do not feed water to a baby bird
>>
GUYS I GOT GOOD NEWS!
After finally founding a wildlife centre here were i live in naples they told me that my help was indispensable and that i did the right thing choosing to bring the little bird at home!!
Don't worry i followed their instructions and fed him in the meanwhile, now i will bring him to them!
I'm so happy!
>>
>>3050876
good work, anon
>>
>>3050876
CONGRATULATIONS!
>>
all done, now he is safe, i'm so glad i did it!
>>
>>3050876
Lovely
>>
>>3051079
Thank you for looking out for him, OP, it's always nice to see one of these threads end well for once. Swifts are beauties.
>>
>>3049876
What's up with autistic people saving baby birds? I just feed them to my golden. They are gonna die anyway and my dog loves parading around their corpses like a good pupper.
>>
>>3051997
what's up with autistic people making the same post multiple times
fuck off already d*gfag
>>
>>3051997
I would rather feed a crow, or a vulture. Even a fucking leaky gull would be better.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.