[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia families. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
>www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
>www.joshsfrogs.com
>http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
>http://www.anapsid.org
>http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
>https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
>http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/

Old thread: >>3015991
>>
Bumping to avoid duplicate threads.
>>
File: tinyfrog.jpg (80 KB, 1280x800)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
tiny
>>
File: 7jfwpd7nm6411.jpg (165 KB, 900x1200)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>3021367
>>
>>
I finally have the money and the means to set up a big fancy planted tank and care for a herp
and I am suddenly paralyzed by indecision and none of the things I've been looking at with fascination for years seem overly appealing to me
tell me why your child is the coolest kid on the block
>>
>>3021385
you should get a common boa because boas are best
decided against planted with mine though, he'll squish anything fragile. Gonna texture the back wall and put pots along the back with vines in hope that they spread up the wall, and just go with fake greenery and eco earth/cypress for the substrate.

puttin together the enclosure today, gonna research an attractive hardy wall climber vine tomorrow.
>>
>>3021385
You should get a BCC boa because they are the prettiest boss and boas are the best
>>
>>3021396

>>3021395 here

i respect your opinion because boas are best, even if I think imperators can be prettier (locality wild type, not even counting morphs).
>>
>>3021396
>and boas are the best
This is python country son, you best be careful with whatcha say.
>>
File: hqrpmrq95ux21.jpg (218 KB, 1528x1528)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>
>>3021436
That's just depressing to look at.
>>
>>3021403
Oh boa anon, you so silly
>>
File: IMG_1793.jpg (1.09 MB, 2527x2527)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
YOU ATE THREE DAYS AGO GODDAMN IT STOP SITTING IN THE AMBUSH POSITION
>>
>>3021496
Gotta be ready
>>
File: IMAG1748.jpg (3.45 MB, 3024x5376)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB JPG
>>3021403
I'm with you anon. I love BCC, but BCI "wild" coloring is just the best in my opinion. BCI for life.
>>
>>3021436
thicc
>>
>>3021530
I’m the total opposite, BCC wild coloring is fucking gorgeous to me, with BCI being rather dull
I do love anery BCIs though
>>
>>3021436
What’s going on here?
>>
>>3021584
Morbidly obese.
>>
Any fellow euro that has even bought & picked anything up from a breeder at the Hamm expo? Specifically something CITES 1. Any general problems? Correct papers? Can the krauts be trusted?
>>
File: IMG_1230.png (57 KB, 500x322)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>3021501
She's been at it since the day of her feeding. I know for a fact that the food is enough for her since my jag male is the exact same size as her and settles down for a rest after he gets his rat, she's just a glutton.
>>
>>3021582
>>3021530
Get a room
>>
Why are these threads always like 90% snakes? Are people just not into other herps or some shit?
>>
>>3021803
Snakes are the most virgin pet so they'd flock to 4chan
>>
>>3021824
>Snakes are the most virgin pet so they'd flock to 4chan
Stop bullying my son or I'm going to report you to the police.
>>
>>3021848
Sorry, let me rephrase that
snakekeepers are virgins so they'd flock to 4chan
>>
>>3021803
Easiest to care for herp so will be the most popular
There are anons here with other herps but for some reason they never want to post them
>>
File: IMAG1692.jpg (2.7 MB, 3024x5376)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
Be honest, would you boop it?
>>
File: IMAG1694.jpg (2.68 MB, 3024x5376)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
>>3021938
>>
File: foto_no_exif (20)a.jpg (1.19 MB, 1000x1500)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
damn aliens
>>
>>3021938
>>3021940
Every damn day
>>
File: RR-Salamander-March-2015.jpg (1.01 MB, 1156x650)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
I'll be constructing a pond for newts at the end of this year, what kind of soil mix should I be using for the wetland area.

was planning on mixing live sphagnum with coarse sand, will be using sand mixed with gravel for the bottom of the pond to anchor the plants.

I want the water to stay clear so I can actually see the newts, will be using a wide variety of oxygenating plants and a filter to keep the water moving.

trying to create this 'slow-moving stream' effect.
>>
>>3021942
Even ball pythons are superior to any frshwater fish.
>>
>>3022005
Don't take that fags bait. He's just trying to shit up the thread
>>
File: HMW2ZPd.jpg (80 KB, 720x529)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>3022008
I'm sorry anon the bait was too good.
>>
>>3021803
There are a few people at keep different herps that post, they just tend to be less prone to posting pics and/or speaking up for anything other than advice. Beyond that though snakes are arguably the most popular reptile in the herp community as well as one of the most successfully kept. It stands to reason that a lot of folks posting here would own a snake. I have to admit though that I do miss the variety.
>>
>>3022010
Just hide the posts my guy. The sad cunt's been at it since last thread.
>>
>>3022010
You must ascend beyond bait anon
>>
File: IMG_5616.jpg (379 KB, 1452x1089)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>>3021803
Here's a frog.
>>
>>3022023
What a nice looking boy. Look at his little tooth!
>>
>>3022011
I was a huge lizardfag growing up but once I left highschool I got more into snakes.
>>
File: MVI_5830.webm (2.61 MB, 960x540)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB WEBM
>>3022030
He's a funny little turd.
>>
>>3022068
Don't the metal tongs hurt his chompers?
>>
File: IMG_4160.jpg (489 KB, 1452x1089)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
>>3022078
nah
>>
>>3022033
Understandable, I was into lizards for a bit in my freshman year of high school but got more and more into snakes as the years went by and I graduated. Now that I'm in college I've reached the conclusion that they're generally better for the herp owner with less time on their hands. Still want me a blue tree or black throat monitor when I have more time to dedicate to the hobby.
>>
>>3022105
I rather enjoy being able to leave for a week or so without needing to make arrangements for my pets. Finding someone to monitor-sit would be challenging
>>
>>3021803
>>3022011
Im a Testu-Fag i never post because no one else posts them so i assume no one cares
>>
>>3022113
No one else posts them because they don’t have them
People post what they have and what they want next
Please post your Testu
>>
File: gregor and wiggy.jpg (1.95 MB, 5000x2000)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>3022127
K
my 14 year old red ear slider is wiggy his shell is a little rough cause I have had him since i was young and didn't really know what i was doing but its getting better with treatment
the Russian tortoise is Gregor ive had had him for about 2 years likes to just hand out on the desk well i work very friendly
>>
>>3022141
That beak is monstrous
Very sleek looking slider
>>
>>3022141
Honkin beak.

I want a hermans and some Indian stars.
>>
>>3022143
yea he was a return to my local pet store ive tried to avoid filing it down as he can eat just fine and he just wont use cuttle bone as he was never give it before
>>
>>3022127
>>3022113
this
as a snake guy i love most herps, just like snakes more than most. Plus they're the easiest and lowest maintenance, my 4 snakes are far less time-intensive than one big lizard would be.

post all herps, so us lazy snake guys can live vicariously through you.
>>
File: IMG_20190513_143320 (2).jpg (2.61 MB, 4022x2594)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
also well im at it rate my home made tortoise table the bottom is a linoleum counter top so that spills don't rot the wood and the front just slides on and off so its easy to clean
>>
>>3022151
those dudes are adorable but their constant activity would stress me out. Every time I see one it's happily running laps around its enclosure.
>>
>>3022151
I like it.
>>
>>3022165
they calm down a bit when you get them into a box instead of a terrarium but yea hes very active
>>
File: IMAG0134.jpg (2.3 MB, 4000x3000)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
First feeding like a duck to water
>>
>>3022188
Are you the guy that was worried he wasnt moving around?
>>
what's people's feel about substrate for snakes?

I'm very happy with aspen for the kingsnake, but he's a desert boy and sheds perfectly with house ambient humidity of 35-50% (he also loves soaking and just ignores the humid hide to hang out in the water bowl a lot during shed). But for the boas I'm wanting something that's both more natural looking and holds moisture/can handle water spills.

Narrowed it down to coco fiber, cypress mulch, or a mix of both together. Not gonna plant it, gonna put together a planter or two for the live plants.

What do you like? What are the problems with both? I'm currently leaning toward a 50/50 mix so I get the cypress look and use the coco fiber (eco earth bricks) as a cheap filler.

Not going bioactive at the moment, probably will for the next project.
>>
>>3022202
>mix of both together
Mixing those works well. I can easily keep humidity 60-70 with several inches of that. Biggest downside to coco fiber is its kinda messy. That's about it.
>>
>>3022202
>I'm currently leaning toward a 50/50 mix so I get the cypress look and use the coco fiber (eco earth bricks) as a cheap filler.
That's what I use for all of mine save for my rosy boa who gets straight dried coco husk. Great for humidity, also awesome springtails and isopods.
>>
I used to use Aspen for everything.
Now I use cypress mulch.
It's more aesthetically pleasing and holds moisture without being constantly wet.
I don't worry too much about humidity, mainly worried about hydration

The only downside to cypress that I've had is last night during feeding my Borneo grabbed a mouthful.
She dropped the rat and kept gaping her mouth. I had to use forceps to grab a piece of cypress from her glotis.
That sucked.
>>
>>3022224
You can mitigate this by trying to feed her in the water dish when she's in for a soak. That's where my Sumatran takes hers since she's bound to go for a post dinner soak anyway.
>>
>>3022233
Hm I think I need to add another water dish under her hide. Blood used to soak all the time when she had a small bowl that was sheltered.
>>
>>3022233
She's never soaked.
I've caught her a couple times with just her head underwater but never her full body.

Rat was soaking wet and substrate stuck to it.
Never had a snake get it stuck though
>>
>>3022241
That'd probably work so long as she has space to get out and still hide. Alternatively you could chuck in some artificial plants that hang over the dish canopy style to give you girl the feeling of seclusion. Would also give a nice aesthetic.
>>
>>3022248
>Alternatively you could chuck in some artificial plants that hang over the dish canopy style to give you girl the feeling of seclusion. Would also give a nice aesthetic.
That's worth a try if I can find some decent ones, setup isn't very aesthetic though, just functional. Kinda like putting lipstick on a donkey
>>
>>3022201
Nope
>>
>>3022202
Currently using aspen for Cali king, Hogg island boa, BCI, and hognose. Going to be moving my corn snake and rat snake over also. Have had no issues, live in PA. Haven't caught my boas soaking or anything and sheds have been great so I don't see any reason for myself to move to anything else. I've used forestfloor and eco earth in the past. Basically only using aspen for price and because I like the light look of it. Forest floor looks great for boas, but I'm actually enjoying the contrast atm.
>>
File: 0726.jpg (506 KB, 1200x900)
506 KB
506 KB JPG
My baby salamanders are finally starting to get some real color to them. Right now they're all about an inch and a half, give or take a little.
>>
>>3022151
>he bottom is a linoleum counter top

Good choice! You can get those for cheap on clearance sometimes. I first got wise to them when I was building a workbench. Easy way to have a nice flat and durable top without putting in any work to make it that way.
>>
>>3022205
>>3022218
>>3022224
Thanks. I'll give the mix a try. Not doing bioactive, so gonna be doing the standard dump and deep clean in a few months and can reconsider there.

>>3022271
>>3022224
yeah aspen's great here for the my king and likely would be fine for the boa in PVC too but I don't like how it clashes horribly with a naturalistic forest floor looking setup. And I hate how it gets fucking everywhere. Still planning to keep using it for the kingsnake, he loves making tunnels in it.
>>
>>3022419
yea we have a local construction recycling center where you can find some great stuff i got a 60 gallon tank there for like 30 bucks
>>
>>3022347
>those stumpy limbs
Cute, cute!
>>
Im making friends with the rats I picked up for my snake, God damn it
Also, is it safe to handle your snake 2 days after feeding or should you wait a little longer? It's a not-tame snake
>>
>>3022590
>Im making friends with the rats I picked up for my snake, God damn it
Yea don't do that
>Also, is it safe to handle your snake 2 days after feeding or should you wait a little longer? It's a not-tame snake
I give em 48 hours
>>
>>3022590
I usually give my colubrids around 36 hours before I mess with them. My boas though I generally give 48-72 depending on the size of the meal. My guys are so used to handling that I never had an issue when I did need to bother them right after eating, but better safe than sorry, I try to leave them alone as most as possible after feeds.
>>
Will my two cats cause problems if I get some kind of gecko?

Like I don't know if they'll try to get into enclosure, sit outside it, etc.
>>
File: cats are vermin.jpg (105 KB, 903x546)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>3022656
>Will my two cats cause problems if I get some kind of gecko?
Yes. Keep your cat away from any of your herps. My uncle's cat killed his chinese water dragon
>>
>>3022656
Get a herp that could kill the cats. A big monitor or python
>>
>>3022657
I mean not handling them around cats, I'm worried about them stressing it out or stuff like that. At my previous residence they had a fishtank and when they got it the cats watched it 24/7 for a few weeks and then just ignored it. Don't know if it would be like that or not
>>
>>3022663
The cat got him in it's cage. I wouldn't advise keeping your cats anywhere near your herps. Keep your herps in a separate room locked away from your cats
>>
>>3022656
Just don't let your cats on to whatever the tank is on and make sure the lid has a lock.
If your cats aren't retarded they can generally distinguish what you don't want them jumping on
>>
>>3022663
Also wtf why do you have cats? Do you want toxoplasmosis?
>>
>>3022656
I had to get rid of my first snake because while at school the family cat would sit on the enclosure, heating the inside to 110+
I didn’t want my baby corn to die from the constant very high temp so I gave him away
>>
>>3022681
>the family cat would sit on the enclosure
Just waiting to torture and bully its victim to death
>>
>>3022685
Nah, she was a big dumbo, she just wanted to sit where it was warm. I don’t think she was even aware that a snake existed there
>>
>>3022681
Nigga what? Just smack the cat off there
>>
>>3022973
Did you read my post? The cat hopped on while I was at school, there’s nothing I could do about it. I’d come home to find the cat there and the temp high. I was a child at the time and shared my bedroom, no one else would keep the cat off, and the door wouldn’t stay shut because other people would leave it open or open it. If my family had given a bit more of a shit it wouldn’t have been an issue, but a lot of things wouldn’t have been an issue if my family had given more of a shit
>>
>>3023010
Yea if you'd smacked him good enough, he'd quit hopping up there.
>>
>>3023012
>>3022685
>>3022669
Can we not turn this into another shitty cat-hate thread? There's like 5 going on already.
>>
File: IMG_4220_130515.jpg (45 KB, 551x441)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>3023131
Fine fine
>>
File: IMAG2181.jpg (2.94 MB, 3024x5376)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
>>
File: 1307482914909.jpg (27 KB, 500x300)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>3023149
I think my boa has the retardation. He'll sit in his hide on the cool side until I take him out. When I put him back in he finds the basking spot again and sits there for a couple hours. He doesn't seem to go find it on his own.
>>
>>3023154
How are the ambients? Since it warmed up my boas are mostly ignoring the warm side. House ambient 75, cage ambient 80-85 depending on time of day. Figure they just feel like it's warm enough throughout, they've been eating and pooping normally. Don't see them soaking ever, so likely isn't uncomfortably warm either.
>>
>>3023165
>How are the ambients?
Cool side seems to be 80-83 most of the day. House temp is like 73-72 at night. Have it set to max of 83 during day. It's a little concerning that he hasn't pooped yet
>>
>>3023173
Jesus 83 85 is pretty high for a cool side. How hot is his hot side and basking spot?
>>
>>3023175
>83 85
I said 80-83?
hot side ground is more like 83-85, there's an elevated basking spot at about 90
>>
>>3023173
dunno then. I measure ground level ambients, so warm side is set to 90-95 and the floor of the tub heats up enough to make it 80-85 at ground level on the cool side. Only running belly heat, so I think they tend to climb when they want to cool off. Tempgun puts the raised surfaces in the mid to high 70s.

Looks to me like their summer behavior is occasional trips to the hot spot at night when my AC is running and they're digesting, but their whole floor heats up enough for them to digest happily during the day. And they find a perch when they want to cool off and/or beg for food. Also so they can make as much possible mess by shitting from on high.
>>
Hey couldnt find any helpful places online and came here lol, but im thinking of getting a pacman frog. I plan on feeding it nightcrawlers since crickets die easy and i dont wanna have to order dubia roaches and take the time to breed them and what not, and i heard mealworms could eat through the insides so it seems nightcrawlers are my only option. How many would i need to feed it a day and how would i keep the soil moists and keep the humidity at the right level? Pls and thanks
>>
>>3023669
Nightcrawlers are fine but you need to offer some variety for your frog to be optimal health. If your frog is a baby when you first receive it, make sure to cut the nightcrawlers down to smaller pieces.

>i dont wanna have to order dubia roaches and take the time to breed them and what not

This is extremely easy. Check out youtube tutorials.

>i heard mealworms could eat through the insides so it seems nightcrawlers are my only option

This is a myth. They can, however, bite your frog if left loose in the tank. Offer them in a smooth sided shallow bowl to prevent escapes. Superworms work exactly the same way.
>>
>>3023669
>>3023692
>dubia colony
>super easy
This, I had a relatively large colony for my mangrove monitor and it was dead simple. I had a large tub (something like 44-50 quarts, can't remember the exact size), put some egg trays in the one side, with a bowl for food and a bowl for water on the other side. Got one of those heatmats for seedlings that max out at around 85F without the use of a thermostat (though there's no reason you couldn't use a heatmat and a thermostat if you have those lying around). Food I got off eBay, and I used miracle grow water crystals so that they wouldn't drown. Not gonna lie, kinda miss them, they were adorable. Some got out of my monitors feeding dish and somehow made a small colony inside his enclosure.
>>
File: 1496617998050.gif (3.75 MB, 280x302)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB GIF
>>3023722
>>dubia colony
>>super easy
>this
>>
>>3023692
I would get roaches if my local stores had them but i doubt they do and im sure the websites that your order them from charge alot for shipping
>>
>>3023989
bro just put roaches in a tub, feed them, water them, keep them warm, and they'll make more.
>>
>>3023989
This >>3024067
It's dead simple and really hard to fuck up
>>
I want a cute booper noodle ;_;
>>
>>3024081
Well why not get one?
>>
>>3024067
>>3024076
I was pointing out that the way he used greentext almost always implies disagreement, and then he agreed
I wasnt saying dubias are difficult
>>
>>3024085
Landlord is terrified of snakes and there's no reasoning with her.
>>
>>3024086
Kek
>>
>>3024087
You could always pay some cholos to solve that problem
>>
>>3024091
Landlord is an in-law.

No cholos taking out family, that's just messed up.

Is all good though, in a few years I'll be moved into a house and can have literally whatever I want. Right now I'm just whining and wish I had a friend with a snake so I could hold one.
>>
>>3024087
just hide them/don't mention them

I don't tell my landlord about like 8 out of my 10 herps
>>
File: 68967869.jpg (1.05 MB, 1844x1844)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>3021940
>>
Going to be moving out soon, and have always wanted a pet. Would it be a terrible idea to get a ball python given that I'll have to be apartment hunting with one and I believe they may be illegal in my city
>>
>>3024108
>illegal in my city
Where are bps illegal?
>>
>>3024115
Google says they are probably illegal in NYC, though there are conflicting opinions on whether or not the rule applies to balls or only bigger snakes, and any links to government websites are dead.
>>
>>3024116
>NYC
What a shit hole
>>
>>3024119
Don't I know it
>>
>>3024120
I'd probably wait until you moved in to get a snake or other pet. Will be easier on all parties
>>
>>3024125
thanks for the advice, I'll do that
>>
>>3024128
Though I would say it's not with missing out on one you love. If youve found one you can't live without, grab it and just do your best to make the move non stressful.

But again if not, might as well wait
>>
>>3024135
>not with
Not worth
>>
>>3024105
No cry Levi, I'll take you out when I get home :(
>>
File: IMAG2319.jpg (3.08 MB, 5376x3024)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
Qt
>>
File: IMAG2320.jpg (2.45 MB, 3024x5376)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>
>>3024210
Anon why is your camera covered in Vaseline
>>
>>3024216
Don't ask questions you don't want answers for.
>>
File: 1507485223482s.jpg (5 KB, 243x250)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>3024217
P-point taken
>>
>>3024116
>probably illegal in NYC

Always check with your local fish & wildlife to get an answer straight from the source if you're not sure and google kicks up a bunch of equally confused posts on plebbit etc. Also ask for clarification on legal species while you're at it. Most common colubrids should be okay in NYC as far as I can tell from a goggle skim.
>>
>>3021013
Posting this fellow Texas anons.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/for/6889474496.html
>>
Why the fuck are pvc cages so overpriced? I could buy the tools to make this and all the materials for less myself, and then I wouldn't have to pay any shipping. Normally whatever you're buying, while more expensive than the cost of production, is still less expensive than if you were forced to buy it yourself. Ex. toaster
There's just no reason to buy these cages though
I feel like once I finish moving I might as well start making these damn things and selling them since once I've got the tools I could make them for 100-200 dollars and sell them for 100 cheaper than current market price
>>
>>3024371
>100-200 dollars and sell them for 100 cheaper than current market price
Go for it man
>>
File: IMAG2322.jpg (3.42 MB, 5376x3024)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB JPG
Got a couple potential hides for my guys. Gonna do the bleach bath this weekend
>>
>>3024387
>bleach bath this weekend
I though you were just supposed to bake it
>>
>>3024388
Either or will work. I just got a new oven recently and don't really feel like baking wood in it yet
>>
>>3024388
>I though you were just supposed to bake it

There are a few options available. Boiling, baking, and diluted bleach soak. If using bleach soak you need to soak once or even twice in clean water afterwords to remove the bleach.

>>3024371
Why the fuck are pvc cages so overpriced?

No mass market reptile supply companies make them. That's why. Why they don't is a mystery. Fucking Zoo Med still make calcisand (safe for nothing and applicable for nothing) so I dunno. All of the PVC tank companies are small to medium sized, only a couple keep a meaningfully large inventory to fill orders immediately upon receipt of payment. They're also not using efficient assembly line process, still use a lot of manual labor.
>>
>>3024371
i thought the same and turned out I couldn't get the PVC cheap enough to make it economical unless I bought enough to start my own business.

Buying enough sheet PVC for one cage was literally more expensive than just buying the cage.
>>
>>3024479
I’ve seen others do builds using pvc they got for very cheap, where were you getting yours?
>>
>>3024502
Called several plastic suppliers and hardware stores.
Cheapest I could find was around 250$ for a 4'x8' sheet.
>>
>>3024507
>250$ for a 4'x8' sheet.
Jesus fuck
>>
>>3024509
For good quality 1/2" thick PVC. Which is what you get from Animal Plastics and most others.

i mean, if you can find it cheaper go for it. I spent a day off calling everyone local who might supply the shit and searching online.

I suspect if you know someone who can get you wholesale cost it'll be economical.
>>
>>3024520
Mate I did some googling and within seconds found 1/2 inch PVC at 12" x 24" for $30. Why the fuck would 48 x 96 be $250? $30 x 4 is $120.
>>
>>3024551
check shipping costs on 4' wide sheets
>>
>>3024507
Check out other similar materials. Like HDPE would work just as well and I think it's cheaper. Also, check the prices on thinner stock. For some materials half the thickness of stock is LESS than half the price of its double; eg, 1/4" less than half the cost of 1/2". Bonding plastic together is very easy so you can double it up no problem.

Or, you can go the route I took and build wooden enclosures using vinyl to water seal the inside. That is waaaaaaay cheaper.
>>
>>3024551
Wait, if I bought the amount of 12"x24" sheets necessary to equal a 4x8 sheet, it'd be $480
What the fuck reeeeeeeee
>>
>>3024551
also uh math
48x96 would be 2 of those wide by 8 of those long, so $30x16 = $480 if it scaled 1:1
>>
>>3024556
yeah, I did check those options and honestly they weren't enough cheaper to justify not buying kits with all the cuts and routing done and just ready for screws and sealant to be applied.

aside from the wood, that's a legit option that's super cheap.
>>
File: retardedanon.png (36 KB, 1568x536)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>3024561
God fucking damn I feel stupid
Why is PVC so expensive? HDPE or wood it is
Is resin a good longterm way to waterproof the inside of a wood enclosure?
How do you get that nice, shiny, polished and beautiful look on wood?
>>
>>3024573
oooh shit son, it isn't 4x bigger, its 4x4 times bigger, 16 times bigger
I cant believe I was put in advanced math classes as a kid
>>
>>3024573
>Is resin a good longterm way to waterproof the inside of a wood enclosure?

Yes. It's expensive though. Vinyl/linoleum flooring is significantly cheaper.
>>
>>3024573
>How do you get that nice, shiny, polished and beautiful look on wood?
As for this, have fun going down the rabbit hole of epoxy or spar varnish boat finishing on youtube. There is a lot.
>>
File: asian water monitor.png (895 KB, 520x780)
895 KB
895 KB PNG
Would you ever get an Asian Water Monitor?
>>
File: sulcata.jpg (204 KB, 912x1200)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>3024620
Nah that's a little too much for me. I think the only semi-large herp I might want to keep one day, if my housing setup/property allowed sufficient space for, is a sulcata tortoise.
>>
>>3021013
>check in boa
>in his cool side hide again
>check temp
>79
>pull him out and let him scoot around a bit
>put him back in and he immediately goes for the basking spot
REEEEEEEEEE IF YOU'RE COLD THEN JUST GO WARM UP YOU DON'T NEED MY PERMISSION
>>
>>3024646
Does he dislike his hot spot hide? If they are different, maybe try putting the exact same kind of hide on the hotspot and placing him near it
>>
>>3024646
It also could be that every time you take him out you're putting him an environment significantly cooler than 79 degrees - he was totally comfy at 79, but then at whatever temp your house is he cooled a bit, so when you put him back he goes to heat up before returning to the comfy temp of 79
>>
>>3024650
this isn't unlikely. Boas have a huge geographic range, a lot of which is warm temperate/subtropical where temps in the 70s are normal. He knows he got a hot spot, he'll use it.
>>
>>3024649
>Does he dislike his hot spot hide?
Maybe. They aren't the same so I might try that. Picky little turd.

>>3024650
I kinda thought about this, but I figured him sitting in my hands would make the warming effect greater than the cooling to thr ambient air, maybe I'm under estimating that though.
>>
File: IMG_20190510_182032344.jpg (1.88 MB, 3264x2448)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>3021013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9GYG86VgzQ
>>
>>3024646
Stop being a helicopter parent. They're quite capable of thermoregulating as needed on their own.
>>
You guys say dubia roaches are easy but i read it takes months for them to breed. Not gonna spend a bunch of money on roaches just to wait for them to breed. Go ahead and make up an excuse to get them anyway or some shit. When i had my gecko i heard the same shit, breed this and that but he was fine on mealworms and every now and then some butter worms, he didn’t need crickets or anything else he grew to full size off meal worms
>>
>>3024720
>he was fine on mealworms and every now and then some butter worms, he didn’t need crickets or anything else he grew to full size off meal worms

No, it's not about growth rate. Mealworms, butterworms, supers, and wax worms are all high in fat. Feeding them exclusively will lead to obesity in your gecko, put them at risk for fatty liver disease, and will likely shorten their lifespan. Insectivores need variety to maintain healthy nutrition. This means dealing with at least three different types of bugs. If you cannot manage this, get a snake or an herbivore. Don't be lazy. And don't brush it off with the 'never had a problem' dismissal.
>>
>>3024217
Ah, the old DIY colonoscopy
>>
>>3024116
just move to LI and commute instead. cheaper rent as well as you get your bp. NY in general still sucks since all large python species are banned
>>
File: IMAG2260.jpg (2.55 MB, 5376x3024)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
>>3024556
>wooden enclosures
Based. Built 2 2'x4'x2' for about $150 together. And bonus is you can easily add shelving and stuff inside if you want stuff for your guys to climb on.
>>3024573
I used fiberglass resin when I built my monitors enclosure and it worked great. He never scratched through any of it. I think the canister I used was only like $20, and then buying the cloth for the corners was only a couple bucks. But on my snake enclosures I just use water based polyurethane since they don't claws or anything and I'm not making them bioactive.
>>3024577
Have you tried putting heattape underneath vinyl flooring? I saw a couple guides for making your own enclosure do that and was wondering if it worked okay. Was worried about not giving it any air on one side, but I guess you could drill a bunch of holes underneath it so it can breath.
>>3024579
Yeah at some point you just have to jump in and bite the bullet. I painted the inside of my enclosure and then used fiberglass. Looked pretty decent.
>>3024651
This, I ended up having to change my room temp for my one BCI (in pic). He wouldn't use the hot side if it was around the 90F recommended by all the guides i saw, so had to drop the basking spot down to 85F. Now he uses both sides pretty regularly.
>>3024720
I found a local breeder off craigslist and bought a lot for like $30, threw them in the 44-50 quart tub with the egg trays, food dish and water dish like I said before and never ran out. They breed like crazy. Itll probably take a long time if you go and start with one of those "25 dubia roach starter kits" i see at shows. I was feeding my mangrove monitor everyday roaches (along with other stuff for varied diet). If you run out of roaches with a couple animals, you are doing something wrong. I'm convinced if I gave my monitor free access to the bin that they would still out reproduce him before he could put a considerable dent in the colony. Might still have pics of them.
>>
File: IMAG0131.jpg (2.81 MB, 3024x5376)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>
File: IMAG0008.jpg (2.36 MB, 3024x5376)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
>>3024870
Pic related is Original colony I bought
>>
File: IMAG0954.jpg (2.91 MB, 3024x5376)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
>>3024870
>>3024871
>>
File: 1511132187422.jpg (7 KB, 251x201)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>3024687
>>
>>3024687
While I probably am hovering some, the other anon had a point about the hide. He could be prioritizing security over warmth, which isn't ideal. Worth a shot changing it to see if it changes his behavior
>>
I was considering getting a western hognose and was wondering how long do they typically stay on pinky mice before moving up? I don't want to get too many in case it starts outgrowing them before I run out
>>
>>3025056
My boi is on pinky rats and he's a "fully grown" male.
>>
I have a small siren I found in a pond

What is the best food to feed these slippery tube dudes? Anything in particular I need to know?
>>
File: 20190504_154306.jpg (698 KB, 2560x1440)
698 KB
698 KB JPG
this stupid fucker keeps launching herself in hopes that she'll stick to the walls
>>
File: 20190504_154611.jpg (828 KB, 2560x1440)
828 KB
828 KB JPG
also I think this is a female but im not sure
>>
>>3024861
>Have you tried putting heattape underneath vinyl flooring

No, i haven't tried that. For the area heat tape will be attached to i have just used a 1/4" piece of plywood instead of the 1/2" used for the remainder. Heat penetration is no problem.
>>
>>3025212
You perv
>>
>>3025212
This can be inconsistent when they're this young but from the pic here i agree female is the likely sex. No bead scale (bump) visible on this side of the vent. Once they're older you can feel them, the beads are small bumps about the size of a bearing ball to the left and right directly behind the vent; if present you have a male. No beads = female.
>>
>>3025095
Why would you use rat pinks instead of adult mice?
>>
>>3025239
Because he has always refused mice for me, but will eat rats just fine. I'd love to switch him over, but have tried for 2 years with no avail.
>>3025221
Yeah that's my current setup. Used underlayment as my bottom, which is something like 1/8" thick. Was just wondering if anyone has tried it that way, since then I wouldn't have to run it as hot to heat the area.
>>
>>3024783
Well mine never got obese, he was healthy and moved fast when it was feeding time. I think its a myth that they need crickets or roaches to live on everyday
>>
>>3024631
>tfw there is a turtle and tortoise sanctuary 10 minutes from my house loaded with sulcatas for adoption
Pity I live in an apartment with a patio. Definitely grabbing one when get a house again.
>>
>>3025340
plz go get us photos of the good bois
>>
>>3024818
I was thinking about just hoping I don't get busted, as most online sources say it's not a big deal
>>
>>3025477
#yolo bro
>>
>>3021013
anyone in the Atlanta area recommend a good pet shop for live rats/ supplies

Just moved in for a summer internship and need to feed my girl hopefully by Sunday.
>>
File: 56f.png (652 KB, 680x539)
652 KB
652 KB PNG
>see blue eyes on snake
>realize its shed time
>do what snake discovery does with keeping aspen beeding and giving humidity when needed.
>i usually also give her a warm bath or two during this time.
>check on her after two days giving her the first bath, but still havent added the humid hide.
>mfw she had a perfect shed.

second time this had happened, her tank is usually in the mid 40s so i guess its pretty ok for her.
>>
>>3022202
i enjoyed 50/50 for my ball, but i moved over to aspen because like i said here >>3025550 im getting much better sheds.
>>
>>3022590
24hr min 48 to be safe
>>
>>3024818
come to jersey
though we banned sales of turtles/tortoises and most natural morphs of corn snakes.
>>
>>3025561
>come to jersey
That's bad advice for anyone man
>>
>>3025561
>though we banned sales of turtles/tortoises and most natural morphs of corn snakes.
why?
>>
>>3025645
going to take a shot in the dark i guess muh salmonella
>>
>>3021013
How hard is it to successfully breed axolotls?
My fiancé and I got one and I’ve bred multiple snake and lizard species before and still do, and I’m pretty interested in breeding these guys too. But I’m curious if anyone has input on breeding them. Any advice/insight is appreciated!
>>
File: bullsnake care.png (954 KB, 1056x984)
954 KB
954 KB PNG
I was just googling som snake-related stuff and came across this humorous gem. I don't know about the quality of the article otherwise, but that picture sure looks like a rattlesnake to me, and not a bullsnake which the article is about.
>>
>>3025759
breeding axolots is easy, but there's not enough demand to get rid of the dozens of young you're getting
>>
>>3025095
Interesting. I was more wondering about the time scale it takes them to move up considering I'll need to order them all. I just don't want to waste a bunch of babies if my snake outgrows them
>>
File: 2_compress.jpg (1.41 MB, 2000x3490)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
my emerald swift :))))))
>>
>>3025988
That's a dope lizard
>>
>>3025988
Goddamn look at that prickly boi. Beautiful
>>
Last year didn't snake discovery say that the hybrid garters were a mistake and that they would make sure it wouldn't happen again? They just uploaded a video where they had hybrids again. Seems like a "oops, we didn't mean for that to happen ;) BUT LOOK HOW ADORABLE THEY ARE!"
>>
>>3026032
>have hybrid babies and feel it's a mistake at the time to create hybrids
>through the care of the hybrid babies, see that they look fucking cool, and are the tamest garters so far
>think these snakes have value on their own and are worth being sold
>will now sell them CLEARLY AND OBVIOUSLY as a hybrid snake with anyone who purchases the snake knowing exactly what it is and where it came from
I honestly don't see the issue, I think when you're a part of any group (such as 'reptile keepers') you end up absorbing random beliefs the majority of the group hold (or the beliefs that seem to be tied to the group), even if there isn't any good reason and you may not truly believe it. Joining a group or subculture is a process of gaining many new interests, opinions, and beliefs, and then slowly shedding the ones that you dont actually hold but simply picked up automatically. Emily is just shedding her default opinion of 'hybrids bad'
>>
>>3026042
No I totally get that, I'm just afraid Emily is turning into one of those people where looks are primary. The first time was a happy accident, but then what if she starts experimenting with other locality breeding, and end up with the issue of jungle x jaquar issues. Hybrids aren't always an issue, like the ones she had previously, and some species of boas, but a lot of unforeseen consequences can arise from purposely mixing different types.
Anyone who is 100% against hybridization is retarded because it happens occasionally in nature and new localities/types are formed perfectly fine.
>>
>>3025659
for the turtles yes

the corn snake is because there a endangered species in the state so i guess its to ensure only captive ones are sold at shops. pretty sure a lot of states have limitations on endangered species.
>>
>>3026107
>for the turtles yes
JUST WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS GOD DAMN IT
>>
>>3026071
eh the reason she likes the hybrids seems more to be that they're tame and healthy and good eaters, with looks being secondary.
Plus I don't get the issue with hybrids anyway, as long as you're not producing an animal that's unhealthy or lying about what it is.
>>
File: 0000ThumbsUp.jpg (25 KB, 301x267)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>3025988
Rad.
>>
>>3025830

Yeah that's a rattlesnake.
>>
File: CDE25HB3F4619GA7.png (439 KB, 818x501)
439 KB
439 KB PNG
>>3026032
I laughed at this
>>
File: B15FCAHG7492E6D3.png (551 KB, 787x425)
551 KB
551 KB PNG
>>3026170
Though tired of this shit. It may be innocent but it's happened more than once and feels a little like subtle shilling.
>>
>>3026175
Its the one thing I find distasteful about her, the political stickers and signs all over the place. She knows tons of kids watch her.
>>
What's better to heat arboreals, top down heat or bottom up heat? I just read from someone that the canopy has lot of air movement, making it actually cooler than the ground - the canopy insulates the lower part of the trees and jungle floor creating a warm pocket. This person heats the entire floor for their Amazon tree boas and has multiple levels of perching upwards, getting cooler as you rise. Does this seem legit to you guys?
>>
>>3026268
seems legit to me. Having a warm bright spot at the top on one side and a cooler darker top on the other side is probably good too, to simulate sunny spots and shaded areas.
>>
>>3026175
>>3026179
>breaking news: democrat is a hypocritical lying piece of scum
woow
>>
File: foto_no_exif (25)a.jpg (3.18 MB, 2000x3000)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
herpeto-politician
>>
>>3026364
That's a creepy looking fucker
>>
>>3026364
this guy is low rating your fits on /fa/
>>
File: Snapchat-575316575.jpg (560 KB, 1080x2154)
560 KB
560 KB JPG
>get ball python a couple months ago
>fairly bitey
>let her settle in for a month or so and get a couple feeds before beginning handling
>begin routine
>feed every sunday, handle every tuesday and friday
>continued this routine for about a month
>still really tetchy and bitey when I handle her, completely hates any hands
>must wear glove because she will tag at least twice every time i reach into her enclosure
>what do?
temps and humidity are pretty swell I believe, 33 centigrade in the hide using a heat mat, steady 55% humidity with occasional extra sprays to bump it up sometimes, especially around shedding time.
I thought she'd get better, but she actually seems worse the last couple days, just striking constantly when I have her on my lap, and even on the hand shes sitting on sometimes
>>
>>3026410
>, 33 centigrade
Got a cool side with a hide right?
>>
>>3026410
Also forgot to mention in that post, she is so tetchy she wont eat food on tongs. She will instead snap at it and tag it as if I'm waving my hand at her. She will hiss heavily at it.
I have to push some aspen out of the way and lay the mouse on the bottom of the enclosure and put a blanket over the enclosure so that she is hidden. (She eats every time I do this, she doesn't food strike, she just likes her food given in a specific way)

>>3026420
Yeah, other side has a hide and is usually around 27ish. She'll move over there at night time sometimes.
>>
>>3026424
some are just aggressive by nature
cull her and get a calmer one
>>
>>3026424
Hmm that really defensive for a bp. Where do you get her?
>>
>>3026534
Pet store, called Petsathome in the UK. To be fair, the snake people there all owned snakes themselves and seemed to know their stuff so I wouldn't expect my girl was treated badly, but you never know I guess
>>
>>3026561
club over the head will do
>>
>>3026572
sad but true
>>
>>3026572
>>3026443
>>3026424
Honestly if you got a BP for the calm personality, I would rehome her (be honest about her behavior). She’s a recent addition, I don’t see there really being an obligation to keep her. As long as her new home meets her requirements she’ll be just as comfortable.
>>
>>3026588
shit aggressive bp shouldnt breed
only way to make sure is a crack in the head
change my mind
>>
>>3026600
Ball pythons can make good pets while aggressive for the same reasons other aggressive species of snake are still desired
>>
>>3026608
not as good as a tamed BP
club -> head
>>
>>3026654
Some people are much less interested in handling their snakes and care more about the act of owning them or the satisfaction of providing care, giving these animals an opportunity to experience life, their death
If anyone is willing to purchase a ball python outright stated as highly aggressive, this proves that the animal has value to someone enough for them to continually give resources to the animal. Removing the animal from existence is then removing a desired product from existence for no reason
>>
>>3026661
Pretty sure anon is just trying to get a emotional reaction
>>
>>3026661
>>3026665
not gonna lie my dudes
there is no benefit in them being aggressive
yes, some dont care about handling, but they dont need to handle the tame ones
all you get by keeping the aggressive ones is selecting for this feature and bringing more aggressive bp in the world only a few people will care for [and those people mostly just dont care, and are not specifically looking for aggressive ones]
it's the responsibility to always breed for good and healthy traits
you cant neuter a bp, so culling to make sure the aggressive ones get selected out of the genepool is the right thing to do.
otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of hard to rehome aggressive bp which will end up under shitty conditions somewhere just to get rid of them in the end
you being emotional about it and not liking it, doesnt change this fact
>>
>>3026672
You could also simply care for it and not breed it, ensuring it won't be bred, and recognizing the value of its existence and life, especially considering the fact its a baby and could still tame down
>>
>>3026676
>giving it away
>ensuring it wont be bred
well, choose one
you guys told anon to rehome it
no one can be sure what the new owner is gonna do, and i wont trust any lowbudget snake keeper for shits

selective breeding is valuing the merit of the whole of the bred animals over the undesirable traits of the single one
ofc the club to the head is just shittalk, it should be killed humanely
if he decides to keep it and not breed it, fine aswell i guess, still stupid to keep an agressive animal, if you planned on handling it
>>
>>3026672
You don't have to breed your snakes man
>>
>>3026687
>you could care for it
>giving it away
reading comprehension isnt your strong point
And then I secondarily argued that being able to sell the aggressive snake at all proves that a snake like that has value to people, so it has a purpose for existing
>>
>>3026693
you faggot lack reading comprehension
you guys told him to rehome it

ye selling a snake lower priced with specially calling it out for being aggressive sure proves its "value"
you are a retard moralist, which feeds straycats and deteriorates highquality bred animals with his low iq stance on """value of life""" for a domestic kept animal
throw it into the jungle if you need to, it still has no real purpose for keeping as a pet of anysorts

some gay retard taking it out of pity for half the price and having a shitty ass pet till it finally dies, doesnt prove shit
>>
>>3026654
I don't care how "aggressive" (read: defensive) a snake is, I'm gonna do what I can to tame it out, or leave it alone. I have, and always will have, enough snakes that I don't care if one or two are unhandleable. Especially one so inconsequential as a ball python.

With time, a defensive bp can come around, it's not reason to cave its skull in. You're just lazy and impatient.

>>3026672
>all you get by keeping the aggressive ones is selecting for this feature and bringing more aggressive bp in the world

Unless...get this...you don't breed the defensive ball python! Woah, mind=blown. Not breeding a snake is just as effective as culling it when it comes to breeding more defensive bps. Many breeders either don't have that much of an issue rehoming unwanted babies, or are perfectly capable and willing to keep a few odd non-breeding individuals.

Also, this is all assuming it's even possible to breed for personality traits in snakes, which I find hard to believe.
>>
>>3026698
Sigh
Me telling him to rehome it is irrelevant to my argument against you saying it’s -necessary- to cull it to prevent it breeding. I am approaching the two separately.
I then go on to argue a different point - that it being aggressive isn’t even a problem that needs to be bred out of ball pythons because aggressive ball pythons are still desirable to people alongside tame ones
>>
Hey, what snakes won’t get longer than 2ft in the first year of life? What are some slow growing snakes/snakes that stay quite small for awhile?
>>
>>3026701
>Unless...get this...you don't breed the defensive ball python! Woah, mind=blown
im not saying cull it, if you gonna keep it either way
but giving it away, i wont trust the next retard to not breed it, then i would choose the culling

im not on my home pc right now so no link, but there are some articles or books cant remember on personality traits in snakes
>>
>>3026707
no one is choosing an aggressive one
they just dont care, they wont care having a tame one either
and tame ones work for all
so stfu with your stupid talk of aggressive ones having a place as domestic animal in the first place
>>
>>3026707
>my argument is irrelevant to what im actually acting after and telling people to do
nice
>>
>>3026712
The sand boas are small
>>
>>3026721
honk
>>
File: IMG_1726.jpg (1.93 MB, 2786x3714)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>people are actually feeding into the shitposter's antics
I'm disappointed in you /herp/
>>
>>3026731
>>3026721
My argument was a response to what you were saying, and what you were claiming. I am pointing out why you are wrong. It’s incorrect that it’s necessary to cull an animal to prevent breeding, and it’s incorrect that aggressive ball pythons serve no function.
My advice to the guy with the BP is to sell it
These two are not contradictory

Kill yourself so we can prevent your genes from spreading
>>
>>3026714
Nah, still doesn't justify randomly killing a snake. Again, most defensive babies outgrow it, and adults can generally be tamed out with time and care.

An animal being afraid is no reason to kill it.
>>
>>3026741
>"randomly"
>is aggressive
>culling is """"randomly""""
lol
>>
>>3026738
>it’s incorrect that aggressive ball pythons serve no function
but they dont and youve proven with no point otherwise
>>
>>3026712
sand boa as mentioned. Rosy boas don't really get much over 3ft. Garter snakes grow pretty quick but stay smallish overall.
Western hognose snakes are short and chubby. Pueblan milksnakes are another small colubrid.
Most of the ones I mentioned do get over 2ft but don't grow bigger than like 30-40" and all are easy to keep.
>>
/herp/ i am gonna try and make a waterfall feature in my boa enclosure. Would an inline filter coupled with mesh over the intake be enough to stop the inevitable poop from ruining everything?

Also how would I safely disinfect it? Planning to make it removable and position it so if he poops from on high like he likes to do it it won't generally fall in.
>>
>>3026745
If someone is willing to purchase the animal, that means it serves a function for them, that they consider it worth whatever they paid for it. The money they spent could have been spent on near infinite other options, yet they chose to purchase the snake, for whatever reason. The snake fulfills some desire for them that they prefer fulfilling to other desires. The snake they purchased for whatever reason met criteria for them above other options or was equivalent to other options.

That anyone would purchase it shows it has utility to someone.
>>
>>3026771
i told you several times why this is bullshit you are talking
you're boring me, read messages above, smoothbrain
>>
>>3026732
The bait is adaptive
>>
>>3026784
If you cant understand what Im saying and you think that the reasons you outlined are the only ones or that they are invalid, you are sub 100 IQ.
Even if other ball pythons can have the same utility, not all ball pythons are available to all people at the same time, in the same location. For any person interested in a ball python there is always a limited available number around them, available at limited times, and having multiple potential options that all fill the same role for you is not redundancy, it is the option of choice rather than being constrained to one potential ball python. Culling this ball python removes a potentially desired product from people and is always a waste.
Also there are definitely people who specifically want a strikey asshole snake because they think it's cool. You and I think that's fucking dumb,but that doesn't matter. Those people exist, aggressive easy to care for non dangerous snakes appeal to those people. so those ball pythons serve a purpose still. You seem to think your preferences, priorities, and your ideas of what would be valid reasons for you to buy something are universal.
>>
>>3026760
Don't. They're a nightmare to keep clean.
>>
>>3026799
Anon he's baiting you. Just let it go.
>>
>>3026799
>"desired product"
ayy
>there are definitely people who specifically want a strikey asshole snake
yes, niggers wanting to be intimidating by having a shit pet
those are btw almost 100% unable to properly care for the animal
but those roasting the snake cuz theyre too dumb to get temperatures right is sure more humane then clubbing it
get a grip, anon. youre ridiculous
>>
File: hrmphblastoise.png (291 KB, 354x306)
291 KB
291 KB PNG
>>3027202
>it is impossible for someone to be edgy and want a strikey snake and care for it correctly
>killing an animal because it doesn't fit what I desire or think should breed is fine, but someone else treating an animal in the way they desire is not fine
>>
>>3026364
Is that an alligator?
Adorable!
>>
>>3025056
I kept my boy on pinkies and just feed him 2 at a time. He’s still at a good weight, is active, and I don’t notice any issues. I also read that it’s better to feed them a couple of smaller mice than one larger one due to the higher fat content in bigger ones.
>>
>>3027637
That's backwards. The younger ones have higher fat, and less developed bones. For most species its best to feed less, larger meals. But I have heard that hognoses do better when feed a smaller rat/mouse every 5 days rather than a larger one once a week because of their metabolism.
>>
>>3027234
>someone to be edgy and want a strikey snake
massive red flag when selling an animal tbqhwy fmlm

bp are known for their calm character, so this is the major selling point, if you want a bitey bitch get a green tree python
it's like saying people want chihuahuas to be big dogs for sheperding sheep
fucking get a shepherd dog then and dont fuck up pure bred animals, you fucking moralist mongoloid
>>
>>3027661
I do have him feeding every 5 days. I’ll probably switch to larger ones now that you tell me that though.
>>
>>3027682
>I have an opinion of what is good in an animal and if you disagree you are wrong, I also have strong opinions on how to treat animals that are not-good and you cannot disagree or you are wrong
>reee stop moralizing!
>>
>>3027682
>if you want a bitey bitch get a green tree python
Even green trees are fairly agreeable if you're mindful of their limited patience and don't try to yank them off their perch. If you want something pissy then your best bet is an emerald tree boa, white lipped python, or an amethystine python.
>>
>>3027729
its just that you are in fact wrong and i am right, sorry to burst your bubble there
>>
If I handle my sand boa every day, even if he's a cunt and tried to bite me every day, will he eventually get tame?
I swear to fucking god this fucker who dumped him on me is going to pay
>>
>>3027873
Gentle and frequent handling will bring him around eventually yeah, but daily handling will just cause stress for the animal.
>>
>>3027769
Theres nothing inherently wrong with defensive snakes. Many people treat their snakes akin to fish and dont handle them unless necessary since the snakes generally prefer that if their enclosure is proper.
Then theres venomous snakes which even if you have the most mild mannered snake on the planet it is to be treated like it will swing around and nail you at any moment
I can understand why some people wouldnt want a snappy snake(My gf returned one of my snakes without my permission because of how snappy it was) but it can even be a tad fun dealing with a rowdy snake honestly
Im not even the anon youve been bickering with for however long its just quite short sighted to think that because you see an animal that doesnt want you messing with it letting its desire be known is a bad thing for everyone
>>
>>3027922
>My gf returned one of my snakes without my permission because of how snappy it was
And you stayed with her? Who he fuck gets rid of another person's pet without asking?
>>
>>3027922
>My gf returned one of my snakes without my permission because of how snappy it was
So did you burry her somewhere in the desert? Or are you a leaf?
>>
>>3027939
>Or are you a leaf?
Canada surprisingly enough has a desert so he could accomplish that even as a leaf.
>>
>>3027941
>Canada surprisingly enough has a desert so he could accomplish that even as a leaf.
I just mean "or are you a turbo cuck"
>>
>>3027944
I kinda figured, I just wanted to be a shitter.
>>
File: IMG_20190518_231319.jpg (491 KB, 1080x1783)
491 KB
491 KB JPG
>>3021013
This absolute unit sitting in the road
>>
>>3027954
He looks like he's seen some shit.
>>
File: 0515191516c.jpg (3.9 MB, 4160x3120)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
Found this little dude down in south Georgia. Burrowed under some leaves after he saw me
>>
>>3027922
Leave your whore
>>
>>3027922
I get that you're trying to make a point to the other anon but I gotta be honest with you chief, your girl getting rid of one of your animals without consulting you because of what she thought on the matter strikes me as a massive red flag in your relationship. Her not even bothering to ask you about what you wanted to do with what is essentially your property when you not only had the potential to fix it but probably weren't really at risk just smacks of a lack of respect.
>>
>people have gone from telling the retard shitposting about killing snappy snakes to fuck off to telling another anon that his GF is a cunt
You people never fail to amuse.
>>
>>3028315
>you people
You’re not any different pal, you’re here
>>
>>3028317
I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, I just think it's funny.
>>
File: IMAG2335.jpg (3 MB, 5376x3024)
3 MB
3 MB JPG
I put your food in your dish you smug cunt, just eat it already.
>>
>>3028335
But anon that would make it too easy. Your frustrated hair pulling at his indecisiveness is integral to his fine dining experience.
>>
>>3028335
You know, I never considered putting a food dish inside my snake enclosures. That's actually pretty clever.
>>
>>3027941
I thought this was bullshit until I looked it up. Now I'm sad at the fact that a good chunk of the native fauna out there are vulnerable or endangered.
>>
>>3028343
My hognose is retarded and won't eat unless I put the mouse on something and leave the room. Have tried getting him to switch to tong feeding for 4 years but just gets pissy and then will refuse to eat outright. If I put in on one of his hide? Nope, won't eat. Put it on the ground in front of him? Nope. Tuck it in the corner so he can eat in peace? Nope. Only if I put it on like an upside down water dish or something like that he will eat it.
>>3028340
I knew the first child is usually the one that gives you the most trouble, turns out it's the same when you have snakes.
>>
>>3028360
Kek. Your hogger sounds like a brat.
>>
File: 09a5jUZ.jpg (651 KB, 3264x2448)
651 KB
651 KB JPG
>>3028365
He is, but he's cute so I forgive him.
>>
>>3028381
It's hard to stay mad when they look and act so goofy.
>>
I had no idea how fast baby rats grow, now a few of the ones I got for my snake are way too big and I have to rehome them, these dudes have doubled in size
Guess this is a reason to gas em right away
>>
Fuck, my african clawed frogs laid eggs and now i have dozens of tiny tadpoles sitting on everything. They're in the clinger phase where they don't swim, must be only a few hours old cause I didn't even see them last night. Didn't even get to witness my frogs lay eggs, or even see the eggs at all. What do? I wasn't prepared and don't have an extra tank. Hopefully they can outrun the adults and survive off of all of the copepods and detrius worms that swim around in my tank.
>>
>>3028610
Why would you even want to raise the tadpoles? Every fish store is overstocked with these frogs. Just let the adults eat them.
>>
>>3028610
>>3028614
He can sell them on Craigslist for $5-$10 a baby
>>
>>3028614
>Every fish store is overstocked with these frogs
Mine aren't
>Just let the adults eat them
That's what I'm assuming will happen. I'll just let them be, if any of them manage to survive and get big enough I'll net them out and put them with my guppies.
>>
>>3028140
frog! Or is that a toad?
>>
New thread when we're done here lads
>>3028367
>>
File: Pristurus_carteri.jpg (236 KB, 800x532)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>
>>3028640
Looks to be a toad.
>>
>>3028689
It's so fucking cute. What's its care like?
>>
bump
>>
>>3028606
Newborn rats can outgrow a snake in a matter of days. Older, weaned rats, can outgrow a snake within a week. They only live 1-3 years, so they have to grow quick.
>>
bump
>>
>>3021371
What is this?
>>
>>3031328
https://www.livescience.com/63238-goliath-giant-tadpole.html
>>
>>3031329
cool af, thanks anon
>>
>>3031329
could this thing reproduce? like axolotls do without ever becoming a salamander?
is this the new axolotl?
where do i get one?
>>
>>3031372
Axolotls can mate the same way a developed salamander would. Frogs grab their partners, which a tadpole is unable to. They would have to adapt a new way to mate on the fly, similar to how fish do it.

So no, it's not realistic that we could get the axolotl equivalent of frogs.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.