[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: peach babies.jpg (497 KB, 2048x1536)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
So about 5 days ago a dog came on my property and hasn't left. I've been feeding her, and letting her stay in my tiny house. She's a very nice dog, and very well behaved, she follows me everywhere outside. I haven't been able to find her owner, and no one around me has seen her before. I couldn't tell if she just got done nursing, or if she was pregnant. I scheduled a vet appointment for her on next Wednesday. Today, I gave her a bath, and treated her for fleas and ticks. About an hour after we got back home, my suspicions proved true.. she started to give birth, and she's currently at 5 puppies. I'm probably going to keep the momma if no one claims her, I've started calling her Peach. My hypothesis is that someone didn't want puppies, so they abandoned her.. that's just my guess tho.
>>
Did you check for a chip?
>>
ugh, this absolute look dogs put out is one of the reasons I can't like dogs. that and the smell.
>>
>>3020734
Will check at the vet appointment on Wednesday.
>>
>>3020732
You did good anon, her puppies might be dead if not for you. Even if she is someone else's and she leaves you, you were there when she needed and even though it may sound dumb I'm sure she loves you for that.
>>
>>3020735
Wtf are you on about, she's cute and helpless. I'm sure she'll pick up and be back to full health with OPs help.
>>
File: newsnug.jpg (40 KB, 560x400)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>3020732
> she started to give birth ... I've started calling her Peach
Are those your puppies, OP? You can tell us if you're the father.
>>
File: 1554999561861.jpg (101 KB, 1024x993)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
What a cutie
Keep her if no owner comes for her
And i would keep 1 pup if i had time.
>>
>>3020747

What's with that faggy pic
>>
File: 1531317205670.jpg (75 KB, 925x835)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>3020748
Its a very wholesome youtuber steve1989mreinfo
Popular on /ck/ and i like his face so i posted it.
Here have reviewbrah petting a choco lab
>>
>>3020750
>HE KEEPS FEEDING ME PIZZA
>I ENGORGE MYSELF DAILY ON HIS OFFERINGS
>ONLY GOD CAN SAVE ME FROM THIS ETERNAL HELLSCAPE
>>
>>3020735
Get ye gone paki.
>>
>>3020732
Shes cute. I’d keep her.

What are you gonna do with the pups? They need to stay together with their littermates and the mom for 2 months at least. Kind of a big undertaking to get sprung on you out of nowhere.
>>
can i have a puppy?
>>
just drown the puppies and keep the mother
>>
>>3020750
remember when a stalker killed his cat and he started living on the run... damn, fame without fortune is a tall order, can't believe people would willingly become youtubers
>>
>>3020850
i'm an autistic hermit with no online presence and everyone in my moderately sized city knows me and i hate it
>>
>>3020840
I'll do what I need to.
>>3020848
Already got 3 pups spoken for. Probably won't have to give them to anyone I don't know.
>>
Good guy anon ... please post pics so we can watch them grow up!
>>
>>3020732
You are a legend mate
She's lucky to have you
>>
>>3020732
For once, OP was not a faggot
>>
>>3020732
Damn. Op isn't a fag for once.
>>
>>3020850
Wait what
>>
>>3020735
im the same only with goats lel
>>
>>3020735
Yeah they've been bred to have expressions like this, it appeals to needy women
>>
>>3020732
Rottweiler x Lab mix?

Very cute dog. Post more pics.
>>
You're a good man Anon. Hope everything goes well. If you can, keep the puppies for 12 weeks instead of 8. We've found puppies that are rehomed at 12 weeks are generally better behaved, easier trained and more confident.
>>
>>3020735
That’s because you’re a soulless bugman
>>
File: 1543580717382.gif (1.29 MB, 300x300)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB GIF
>>3020732
You are a good person
>>
>>3020732
If an owner claims her you could still keep a puppy I think that would be fair
>>
>>3020732
that's so sweet
we demand more pics
>>
File: peach vet.jpg (70 KB, 1080x810)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
I have bad news guys... I took Peach into the vet today, and she tested positive for heartworms.. I'm going to get her treated when the pups are weened, and I offered to pay for treatment if any of the pups are infected. The vet told me she might have already transmitted them, but from what I read online, it says it can only be transmitted through a mosquito.. I don't know either way, I'll let the adopters know and offer to pay.. This could be pretty damn expensive.
>>
>>3024129
Anon you are a saint. Maybe a local shelter or rescue group could help with the vet costs?
>>
>>3020732
Wtf kind of dog is that? Looks just like my mutt.
>>
>>3024129
That’s not bad dude they just need to take a pill.
>>
File: heartworm.jpg (212 KB, 1080x1440)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>3024144
Maybe the pups can be treated with just a preventative pill, but not peach. Also, the vet didn't say the pups could be cleared with just a pill. She gave me a whole list of treatments for Peach.
>>
>>3024149
man poor dog, won't be able to let any energy out for months
try to at least keep her mentally stimulated
>>
>>3024162
Generally new mum dogs don't want to be far from puppies for like 6 weeks so it's not THAT bad. When the puppies start growing teeth they'll usually want to start distancing themselves.
>>
>>3024138
Shelters don't have money to keep their own dogs worm-free. Do you really think they'll sponsor someone else?
>>
>>3020732
you've been adopted
>>
>>3024143
Australian sheep dog
>>
General question: how old are puppies when they get weaned?
>>
>>3024129
>>3024149

I’m U.K. based, and we don’t tend to see D. Immitis, but I’m happy to answer any of your questions on that drug protocol if you like.

Firstly, the reason why your vet is worried is that Heartworm can rarely be transmitted over the placenta. However, these guys can’t grow into adults so should be killed on their first preventative wormer dose. (But the pups are considered a source of infection at the moment)

So the standard treatment for heartworm is an injection (melarsomine dihydrochoride) with a follow up injection at a later date in a graded fashion. The big issue is that these worms live in the heart and circulation- if we killed them all suddenly then that’s a lot of dead worms in circulation- which is a recipe for clots and anaphylactic shock. Hence why your vet is giving it alongside prednisone (an anti inflammatory steroid) and cage rest to try and avoid any clots forming. The doxycycline is an antibiotic which will reduce any issues caused by dead worms, and your antihistamines will dampen down any histamine response (the response it sends out to anything foreign- so with hay fever it sends out shed loads of histamine which then causes inflammation and hence a swollen face etc response to pollen).

The reason why your pred doses change is that we have to taper pred as if you remove it suddenly we can accidentally wind up with a dog with cushings.
>>
OP please tie an appropriately large number of helium balloons to the momma and send her to space while the puppies are forced to watch

Then do the puppies one by one and try to record the noises they make
>>
>>3020732
Look at that retard look... jesus christ what an awful creator would build such a whinging needful thing. Please send it to the moon. "I know I just met you but I have babies now please please help also I have heartworms..." bitch suck upper atmosphere!
>>
>>3020748
Steve is based you useless fucking simp
>>
>>3024828
Thank you for your input my afro American friend
>>
>>3024824
Do you know how bastard much that would cost?

Helium isn't cheap.
>>
>>3024834
Yeah about $100... believe me I'd be more economical if it was a choice but we absolutely need to space flight this dog.
>>
>>3024129
>warm squeaky little beans

>>3024149
>day 60

Christ. They don't show you this when you see sappy rehab videos. Fuck heartworms. Hope the babies don't have them.

How much will all this cost?

If it's any consolation though, not only will she not have any more litters, but each one of these pups that survived could have gone on to produce more strays, with more health issues, that some other poor bastard or under funded shelter would have had to waste resources on.

By rescuing this one dog and her litter, you've probably prevented dozens of stray animals being born.
>>
>>3024837
>i think you need to stop posting and go find something constructive to do with your life friend
>>
Anon if you save this dog and her puppies you are absolutely a saint, either the owners realized she had worms or realized she was pregnant, or both, and probably decided to dump her off somewhere hoping someone would help her when they couldn’t.

If you give that good girl a good life, there won’t be any way for the owners to know what you gave her, but it’s probably what they wanted most.

Based OP, even if you decide not to help the good girl mother and you just save her pups, you’ve done something many wouldn’t
>>
>>3020732
My neighbours dog looks just like this. But it has a white patch/streak on a leg. What breed is that?
>>
>>3024671
We just leave our pups to figure it out themselves but we start putting down mushy food for them at 5 weeks. Like I said mum will start getting annoyed with them about 6 weeks and want away. Keep letting her in once a day after that for about 5 mins to let the pups drain her so she doesn't get mastitis. Then they can be separated totally at week 7/8.
>>
>>3020855
How does one live the hermit life
>>
>>3024895
>excusing whoever might have abandon the dog by slapping good intentions on them
Are you by any chance woman? There is no excuse for avoiding responsibility.
>>
>>3025055
Not op, but I work from home. I live like a hobbit.
>>
>>3025281
I mean they could be completely shitty people, but then it would probably be a completely shitty dog. OP made it sound like she was a good doggo. Good doggos usually mean at least one of the people really loved her. Maybe it was a shit husband/wife/father/mother that forced this on someone.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.