[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: gedc02421.jpg (2.79 MB, 3072x2304)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
What plants are good alternative to having a lawn in your front yard, because fuck lawns.
>>
gross your yard looks asian
>>
>>3019987
Search for stuff like grass alternative or lawn alternative or ground cover plants and see which ones will work well for your soil, light, and zone.
I’m thinking about corsican mint myself.
>>
>>3019987
chamomile and thyme can be grown as a lawn.
>>
>>3020013
Oh and “no mow lawn” might be helpful too
>>
>>3020016
Do they stop growing? I know a lot of herbs get really big.
>>
First, you need a plant loicense.
>>
Look at all that wasted space.
You could have ANOTHER house in all that and still have that outer bar next to the sidewalk for plants.
>>
>>3020036
A lot of municipalities require any building to be at a certain set-off distance from the sidewalk. You literally cannot have another house in all that space because it's against the code.
>>
>>3020039
>because it's against the code.
sigh
>>
File: horseshelter.jpg (33 KB, 600x314)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>3020039
>because it's against the code.
Git gud
>>
>>3020028
you can mow them both. not as often as grass, but still enough to keep short and tidy
>>
>>3020047
>>3020044
>I will try to cheat the code and risk years of litigation and fines just to build an ugly monstrosity that sticks out like a sore thumb and will have no value
sigh
>>
>>3019987
I mow lawns for a living rn and FUCK MOWING LAWNS I HATE IT. Anyone who rips up all their grass and puts rocks and shit in is a based god
>>
>>3020053
what mower do you use?
lawnmowing is easy and relaxing if you have a decent self-propelled mower.
if you're getting fed up doing it for 8 hours a day, get some other gardening skills, like hedgecutting, planting and maintenance etc.
gardening is a great career if you are good at it.
at least in Europe.
but i get the impression in the US it's not very highly regarded and most 'gardeners' are just un-skilled labourers.
>>
>>3020028
I have a lawn that's mostly wild flowers, herbs, moss and nearly no grass. It's about 3 to 10cm high except for a few single flowers that are higher and hasn't been mowed at all yet this year. It's not necessary to mow it more than 4 times a year since nearly all of the weeds stay short.
You just have to remember not to leave cut grass/weeds on the lawn so it won't get much fertilizer.

>space for herbs and even some wild strawberries
>pretty flowers and bees all years long
>still a good place to put a pool or tables for a party without lasting damage to plants
>birds can forage little insects and seeds
>doesn't need much water
Can recommend.

Of course you could also only cut it once or twice a year if you don't need the space and put out some taller wildflowers.
>>
>>3020044
>>3020047
>>3020053
Please remember the importance of evaporation chill and cold airstreams for a comfortable neighbourhood climate.
>>
I like fruit trees myself, though that requires some space.
>>
>>3019987
I judge people based on their lawn
>>
>>3019987
Whenever I see "lawns" like this I can't help but think there must be some really cold and/or bitter people inside the building.
Or doctors/lawers/teachers
>>
>>3020170
I'm going to fuck you.
>>
>>3019987
I've let some of my lawn overgrow, resulting in some really nice meadow grass. Lots of flowers have grown in it, which is good for insects. When I mow the rest of my lawn, I try to keep it fairly tall. Short, uniform grass is just ugly and boring.
>>3020169
t. boomer
>>
>>3020050
>years of litigation and fines because you built something ugly on your property and resistance can potentially lead to being forced into a cement cage with potentially deranged and violent people
sigh
>>
>>3019987
None because in America anything but a flat green lawn will get you sued
>>
>>3019987
A big statue of a cock to let all the people around know how much of an individual you are.
>>
File: Chamomile.jpg (71 KB, 800x365)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>3019987

-Chamomile
-Clover
-Corsican mint
-Creeping thyme
-Moss
-Sedum mat
-Wildflower meadow
>>
Any fruit tree
>>
>>3020169
are you my mom?
>>
>>3022937
Sued for what? Putting non-permanent non-dangerous stuff on your own place?
If it's no problem on rented property in a land of the not so free I bet it's even less a problem on your own land in the US. The worst thing that'll happen is that you'll get bullied for a 'messy' lawn.
>>
>>3024774
i've seen at least one story from the US where somebody planted a garden in front of their house, and the local authorities came and destroyed it, then issued a fine.
>>
>>3024774
>If it's no problem on rented property in a land of the not so free I bet it's even less a problem on your own land in the US
Pretty much any municipality is going to have zoning restrictions on what you can have in your front yard, which can include how tall you can let your grass grow. In subdivisions, you are likely to be further bound and restricted by covenants specific to the subdivision. That's why you see some states passing laws allowing people to have veggie gardens in front yards.
>>
>>3019987
Cactuses

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.