[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: w.jpg (258 KB, 1200x900)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
This is the Cat general. Discussion of domestic and wild felines belongs here.

Join the cat conversation at /an/cord's cat section.
https://discord.gg/3xGbBG2

Old thread: >>2994147

Food & Nutrition
>http://catinfo.org/docs/Feeding%20Your%20Cat%20-%204%20pages%2011-13.pdf
>http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/

Outside Enrichment
>https://catiospaces.com/
>http://www.adventurecats.org/backcountry-basics/train-your-cat-to-walk-on-a-leash/
Behavioral problems
>https://thecatsite.com/threads/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered.9563/
>http://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/PracticeGuidelines/FelineBehaviorGLS.pdf

Kitten care
>http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2137&aid=912

Cat Food Database:
>http://catfooddb.com/
>>
>>3019063
KittyKat
>>
hi
>>
I have a cabbit.

She's a tailless white Manx. She hops like a bunny and has a cute pink nose. Her name is Alice.
>>
How do I wash my cat's face? She has white face and it's getting yellow lately on the nose, forehead. I often clean her eyes with special lotion for cat's eyes, but can I use it for the rest of the face? She cleans herself but not very effective
>>
How did you pick your cat's breed?
I'm probably overthinking but outside of it being a shorthair i can't choose
>>
>>3019794
Just get a regular cat from a shelter
>>
>>3019793
I just use wet wipes.
>>
>>3019794
People put an anouncement that they have a little stray cat colony they want to get rid of and I called. A few days later they brought a cat including some money to help with the vet costs.
It turned out to be a lovely around 7 month old perser mix and I love her very much.
>>
Here's my smoke tabby kit kot
>>
File: kot3.jpg (1015 KB, 1821x2535)
1015 KB
1015 KB JPG
I put out a trap for this guy. Home is foreclosed but still hanging around waiting for the owners to come back.

It's raining now so it's probably hunkered down somewhere.
>>
>>3020481
What kind of poison are you using?
>>
>>3020493
Generic store brand cat food
>>
File: rckot.jpg (134 KB, 843x671)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Help. I think something is wrong with this cat.
>>
>>3020259
coalminer fella
>>
>>3020658
The very first thing that came to mind was that old video of a guy grabbing one and chucking it down a staircase.

>>3020259
That's an amazing colorization.
>>
>>3020710
>>3020722
Thanks! Here's a newer picture of her
>>
>>3019063
>>
I actually forgot to take a picture of the last foreclosure cat and it might not even be >>3020481

After all the strays I captured last night, I think it's just best to consider it lost.
>>
Hey guys, can someone tell if I should get a cat? What's their temperament?
Do they need air conditioning in hot weather? The temperature where I live can reach up to 107° in summers and I don't have air conditioning in my house. Is it safe to let them or do they hate it? Do they bite/scratch for no reason? I'm being honest here, I won't really it like if they bite me for no reason because I'm afraid of the diseases their saliva and scratches might carry. I'm not afraid of the actual pain from the bite, what I'm afraid of are the potential diseases they can cause.
I have no actual experience with any animal but now I'm 20 years old and finally have a job and money to take care of one. I really want a pet but I'm not really sure if I should get a cat, dog, guinea pig or LITERALLY any other domestic animal. I live in a small 1340 sqft apartment if that helps. Please help me out bros.
>>
>>3021085
>Is it safe to let them or do they hate it?
Pet them*
>>
>>3021085
Great ventilation and accessible cool water is enough if without air conditioning.
Make sure the cat gets the required vaccination.
As for petting, don't overwhelm the cat with it.
Put your hand out to it's nose before petting so it could recognize your scent first.
Maybe even give it a treat.
Initially keep it at 5 seconds max at a time.
Increase it over time so the cat gets used to it.

As for sudden bites, never hover your hand over their head.
It's considered threatening to them.
They might not even realize it's yours.
>>
>>3020481
Got em. It was the one I was trying to catch (I remembered a spot on its tail)
>>
>>3021085
>temperament
Depends on the cats. Young ones are usually active, need a lot of playtime and like playing and fighting way more than cuddling while old ones are mostly pretty chill.
>hot weather
Cool tiles and damp towels help
>bite/scratch
Not if you are aware of possible reasons:
Sudden loud noises and unexpected movements can scare some, expecially if they don't feel 100% safe around you and the home yet. Playing a little too rough causes most injuies but only shallow ones. Also avoid behaving like a retard,even happy loud noises and flailing can be seen as agressive behaviour. Just keep an eye on the cats body language.
Also it's not diseases but infections of deep bites that can get serious. just don't wait and get your antibiotics if something like that happens and you notice swelling.
>no experience/not sure
Go for a test run! Take care of other peoples pets during holidays or visit a shelter. Maybe foster.
>>
Im about to bring a cat into a house where my roommate has a cat that goes outside

How worried should i be about fleas
>>
>>3021382
Just give it a flea treatment along with the other vaccines it will need since there's an outdoor/indoor cat it's coming into contact with.
>>
>go fill my cat's food bowl
>cat gallops towards it at mach 3 speed
>puts his paw inside the food bowl
>uses it as a crane to get food out of the bowl into the floor
>eats from the floor
ancient egyptians used to worship these creatures
>>
>>3021237
Doing good work, anon.
>>
File: tegaki.png (8 KB, 400x400)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
I drew a cat. Miao miao!
>>
>>3021382
Does the outdoor cat live in the same house?
How high the risk of getting fleas is depends on how much there are in the neighbourhood, just check for them while brushing and choose good treatment if you find some.

>>3021545
>hates eating out of a bowl
>doesn't
Well, creatures with a will of their own that won't bow to humans weird ideas of how food should be placed are more impressive than those that eat uncomfortably their entire life because they don't dare to challenge their superiors ways. Try a plate.
>>
File: IMG_20190410_153656231.jpg (1.24 MB, 3120x4160)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
He has no decency.
>>
>>3019063
Meatloaf was a very sleepy boi, but he was still happy to see us when we got home from our trip.
>>
File: Santa Fe.jpg (570 KB, 4096x2304)
570 KB
570 KB JPG
I hope you are all educating your cats on the dangers of substance abuse and safe firearm handling.
>>
File: just woke up.jpg (696 KB, 1359x971)
696 KB
696 KB JPG
I have to leave for a week, will my beautiful kitty forget me by this time? Will she love me less?
>>
>>3021782
Typical ginger kitty personality

>>3021842
Christ that's a lot of hairball

>>3021862
Another orange nigglet

>>3021880
He doesn't care enough to forget you.
And you know it's fine
>>
>>3021549
>>3021237
What happens to it and how is it doing?
>>
>>3021880
It might be pissed for a day when you come back.
> wer has u bin hooman
>>
getting a kitten, not sure how old, owners are starting to wean them tho. coming from a farm cat, parents probably weren't given shots or anything like that, also my first cat. when should I get it to the vet for shots and all that? about how much does that cost in US?
>>
>>3021894
I spend with her 90% of my time, maybe she cares a little bit
>>3021904
Aww one day is fine then, will make sure to get her some treats
>>
File: IMG_20180426_193716.jpg (2.1 MB, 3456x4608)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
her my kot
>>
>>3021998
tail is precious
>>
File: 20190509_180013.jpg (3.08 MB, 4032x3024)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
Cot
>>
File: 1546189957868.jpg (123 KB, 1022x1363)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
I wanna go visit family in a different country this summer, for like 1-2 months.
I am planning to keep my cat at home and have the neighbor come over daily for food, water, and the additional cuddles and pets plus I plan to leave a radio on with her on a timer.
My cat never gave me the impression she gets very lonely if I have an extended leave from home, and she isn't much of a cuddlebutt or anything. She's rather old already and just sleeps for the majority of the day, and when she wants cuddles she just walks up to me once or twice a day.
I can't help but shake the feeling it's irresponsible to leave her alone for so long. It's not that I don't have faith in her being okay but I've never been away from her for this long. What are the things I should be worried about? Do you guys think I am a bad cat owner if I go through with this visit? ;_;
>>
>>3022020
Can you take her with you?
>>
>>3022084
Unfortunately can't, don't think it'd be super pleasant for her either.
>>
>>3022084
Not really a good idea if she's old af.

>>3022020
As long as you trust the neighbor, that's cool. You might have a backup friend or somebody that will also come by and double-check every couple of days, maybe send you a pic every now and then for peace of mind. I don't think you're a bad person but if kitty is important to you, have some redundancy built into your plan.
>>
Is it safe to feed raw meat to cats? I'm vegetarian and my family won't allow to cook meat in the house. So I was thinking if it would be ok to directly feed the raw meat instead of cooking it.
>>
>>3021998
A cat makes a house a home
>>
File: kots.jpg (262 KB, 4000x3000)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
kot x 2
>>
They love each other. I feel so lucky it worked out that way.
>>
My cat just died today, she must of had some kinda of heart attack, she was almost 11 years old.

it was so sudden and nothing seems wrong, how do i cope with this???
>>
>>3022308
Kek. Yes, raw is fine but just to be sure better not feed pig because they used(?) to be prone to contain dangerous parasites or something.
Meat with bones is better so they get enough calcium to counter the phosphate. It's also good for their teeth and seems to be fun. I give chicken wings from time to time.
If you want to feed raw for more than just a meal every now and then you need to supplement or feed whole prey to not risk deficiencies.

>>3022414
Very nice, what was the occasion and how long do they know each other?

>>3022422
I'm sorry anon, feel hugged. Sadly heart issues seem to be pretty common in cats, even in mixed ones.
Still better for her than to get the kidney issue kind of bad luck I guess.
>>
>>3022422
>it was so sudden and nothing seems wrong, how do i cope with this???

You don't. see
>>3022333
delete this post and pic now because the orange cat looks exactly like my cat that died last year.
>>
File: DSC_2904.jpg (402 KB, 1080x1920)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
I'm not sure what kind of cat is this with its long fur.
>>
Summer get out
>>
File: IMG_20190513_134231257.jpg (2.35 MB, 3456x3729)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
Came back from college yesterday and my cat is absolutely ecstatic that I'm home. She won't stop rubbing against me and purring
>>
>>3022454
I'm sorry to hear that anon :((
>>
>>3022571
truly the greatest pets
>>
>>3022094
Yeah that'd be a good idea, thanks. It's just so weird having to leave her alone for so long but this is a pretty important visit I don't wanna skip out on if possible
>>
My cat sits on his ass like a bear. I've never seen any other cat do that. Is that something to be concerned about?
>>
>>3019063
He can be an annoying little shit, but he likes to cuddle a lot
>>
what is the absolute best toy for a cat to play with when home alone
>>
I love cats but "Kot" literally means shit/turd in german....
>>
>>3023171
A cat.
>>
>>3023171
A ball of crumpled aluminum foil
>>
Fucking cunt pet shop guy gave me the wrong type of cat food, since I buy it by the kg I didn't realize it

Now one of my cats isn't eating (he's obese but still)

Gonna order online from now on fuck pet shops, the vet is trying to sell me expensive ass diet food as well, why does everyone have to jew me all the fucking time

I'm getting real fucking tired of this earth and everyone in it
>>
>>3023361
Because using reddit spacing is pretty dangerous.

This is only beginning.
>>
>>3023373
I've been using reddit spacing before reddit was a thing

It just feels more natural to me because I'm retarded and think slow

It reflects the autistic silence of gears slowly turning between my thoughts
>>
>>3023373
People don't even type like that on reddit you fucking retard.
>>
>>3023390
Autists don't own cats.
>>
File: 1557865812277.gif (454 KB, 256x192)
454 KB
454 KB GIF
very cute kot
>>
>>3023458
STOP CALLING CATS KOT!!!!
KOT MEANS LITERAL SHIT/TURD IN GERMAN!!!!
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: 20190512_172651-2.jpg (2.85 MB, 1836x2703)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
Befriended a very unusual (by local standards) kitty on a walk recently.
>>
File: 20190512_172804-1-1.jpg (1.82 MB, 1603x1897)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>3023464
My first time ever petting a longhair, too. Weird when I think about it.
>>
>>3023467
C U T E
>>
>>3023462
KÖT
>>
File: kot.png (857 B, 210x31)
857 B
857 B PNG
>>3023462
Not everyone on this fucking planet is German you cisshit.
>>
>>3023402
When I got here in '06, text etiquette was such that you got chastised for doing the opposite. It was:
>lol walloftext, didn't read nigger

This Reddit spacing shit is a newfag forced meme and can be safely ignored. It just shows you visit Reddit enough to know what their text structure looks like and you don't belong here.
>>
>>3023452
what are you talking about, autists love kots
>>
>>3023480
Real autists love much more difficult to keep pets
>>
File: 1306830139698.png (39 KB, 523x472)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
My cat has been pooping occasionally small bits of bright red blood. I took him to the vet and they gave him antibiotics to treat him for a local bacteria that apparently frequently causes issues. After he finished his medicine dosage, he is still pooping blood. It is usually once or twice every 4 or 5 days, and in small amounts. However, his poo has been fairly liquid lately, and has very little form to it.

I've not changed his food, he is mostly indoor, he spends a lot of time sleeping (more so than he used to), he is 11 years old, but doesn't seem to have any personality differences. He is quite a lap cat and loves his affection. But the lethargy has me concerned in addition to the blood and liquid poo.

Anyone have any advice before I take him back to the vet?
>>
>>3021545
Cats dont like bowls because it irritates their wiskers. Try feeding from a plate instead
>>
>>3021545
Do you know what happened to egypt? It happened no more. Do you know that Arabs used to be like top-notch of technology?
I think I know the reason why...
>>
If you were petting your cat with both hands, and then another person came (such that the cat didn't know he was there) and started petting the cat, would it realize something was up since there's a third hand touching it?
>>
>>3023464
shes cute
very nice coat pattern
>>
>>3019063
Tips for a first time cat owner? getting a kitten on friday, it will be 3 months old.
>>
>>3023727
sometimes yes, sometimes no. If you take one hand off almost immediately then no.

>>3023751
Kittens suck, they do calm down eventually. Around 1-2 years is when I start liking my cats, kittens are fucking hyper and annoying as all hell.
>>
>>3023765
sheeeit, I don't usually make decisions like this impulsively like buying a cat. I only did it because my chihuahua is old now and I wanted to get her a companion. she absolutely loves cats.
>>
>>3023361
>since I buy it by the kg
Try to get your cat on wet food or fully soaked dry food if he should loose weight. It takes a while to soak up fluid so they tend to overeat.

>>3023462
It's pronounced very differently so it isn't an issue.

>>3023485
Yeah, sounds like infection but there are also ones that can't be treated with antibiotics and need other medications and/or diet changes. If you don't want to go through try and errors until you find the culprid, I recommend you bring a fresh shit sample to let the vet test it on what kind of bug is causing it. Better call him beforehand too if you choose that option.
Also make sure the cat stays hydrated, maybe offer a daily broth or tuna water snack.

>>3023751
>>3023778
Well they need way more active attention like playing fight and chase instead of cuddling and tugging a string than people think because they usually expect chill old cat behaviour.
If you and your dog aren't up for spending a lot of time entertaining the kitten, better get a second one right away. That way the little ones have always a partner at hand that has similar energy levels and interests while growing up and won't suffer if you and your dog prefer watching them instead of playing along.
>>
Why is my cat acting distant and attached at the same time?
>>
>>3023840
thanks for your reply, energy level and play isn't an issue, I'm fairly apprehensive because of marking/peeing. I may wait actually and cancel getting the kitten. love cats and would like to raise one, but maybe now isn't the right time. Thanks for your input
>>
Any recommendations for flea medicine for a strictly indoor? I don't trust my vet not to fleece me with their ultra premium sponsored garbage that ends up not working at all like the food they told me to buy.
>>
File: Kuro 12.jpg (150 KB, 480x640)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>3019063
Here's a pic of my kitty cat
>>
RIP Timo
>>
File: IMG_20190511_195430.jpg (2.31 MB, 3264x2448)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
Found kitten, what do I do? I've looked around for other kittens or its mum, can't find them.

If I keep it I know I wanna call it Oats
>>
File: 789456123456.jpg (64 KB, 919x769)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>3022454
>>
Got sent to shoo off a cat, but there was a tiny one which was saying "Mew" and flailing it's limbs uselessly. Don't cats usually lay a bunch at once, so shouldn't this thing have siblings to get rid of?
>>
>>3024118
How many fleas are we talking about?
In mild cases I use program because they eat it without problem, no need to keep them seperated and it also gets the larvae that's hiding in the house. But it takes while for the effect to show so if it really annoys your cat you might should use a faster one.
>>
File: 26496.jpg (1.09 MB, 2268x3024)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
Just got my first kitten ever today for a companion to my gf's (male) cat.
Thing is he has mittens, just wondering if there is anything I should expect because he has two extra toes on each foot or not?
>>
>>3021998
>bag
HOLLAND HOLLAND HOLLAND HOLLAND
HOLLAND HOLLAND HOLLAND
HOLLAND HOLLAND HOLLAND HOLLAND HOLLAND
>>
>>3024550
ah yes very nice beans
>>
my cat will probably die in the next couple of days
how do i deal with his imminent death
>>
Rate my cat
>>
File: IMG_20190507_185422859_1.jpg (3.49 MB, 3221x3456)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
From our walk today.
>>
Anyone who does not allow their cat outdoors is practicing animal abuse. Your weak and out of shape cats will die without ever experiencing the beauty of nature.
>>
>>
>>3024550
better handjobs
>>
>>3020481
There is a special place in hell for people that leave pets behind when they move away.
>>
>>3024328
Found where? His mom wasn't around the whole day? Did he kept still in that place or he was walking around? How did he react when you took him?
If you're willing to care for him then its for the best, I guess, but you're not telling much.
>>
hey guys I need some advice regarding litter training, I recently adopted a kitten, I prepared a litter box just for him and like my other 2 adult cats I let him wander on our land.
The other two don't use a litterbox anymore since they usually do their thing outside, the little one did this for a while and when he was inside the house he used the litterbox, but recently he got the habit of excrete behind a couch on the living room.
I tried to scold him with a bit of water every time I catch him doing it but it doesn't work and its starting to become a problem.
any ideas?
>>
>>3019063
Cat is at the vet, wont stop vomiting, they said they can feel a lump in the stomach
I am hoping its just a hairball...
>>
So I adopted a cat and I feel like I've been tricked by him. I know cats are aloof and "independent" but I really wanted one that was more of a lap cat and relatively enjoyed my contact. So I visited friendly private no kill shelter around 7 times (they told me to feel free and visit to make 100% sure I know which cat I wanted). I meet a wonderful cat who's rubbing his face on mine like crazy and ran to my lap to be pet each time. All in all good cat, so I love him and adopt him. First 3 days are great, he uses the litterbox immedietly, snuggles with me to sleep, likes to be pet and would sit on my lap. Time goes on and now this dude couldnt give a damn, he scurries off when I try and pet him, doesnt sleep with me ever, will meow for me to go where he is and then will just ignore me like I'm a placeholder. So I play with him, feed him, clean his litter, do everything basically and in return I get at most...him sitting on my desk and running away if I pet him. Kinda regretting not picking one of his contenders...
>>
File: 20190512_152414.jpg (2.47 MB, 4032x3024)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB JPG
>>3024751
Heres a picture of the bastard.
>>
>>3024752
Look at that sleeping cunt

Yeah you're already devoted to him
>>
>>3024711
He wants privacy from the other two cats. That's why he's excreting in a hidden place.
Move the litterbox box somewhere else.
Or do something with it so your youngest cat doesn't feel so exposed.
>>
>>3024550
Not fair!
He got too many beans!
>>
>>3024711
Is he shitting or peeing behind the couch or both?
Possible reasons could be safety issues or pain (constipation/UTI). Put another litterbox on the spot behind the couch, if it's a safety reason this might already solve the issue.
>>
>>3024593
>>3024595
>>3024600
>>3024608
>being this autistic

Not surprising coming from a catfag
>>
>>3024593
>>3024595
>>3024600
>>3024608
Look at this beautiful creature in tune with nature.
10/10 deserves to be worshipped
>>
Should I keep my outdoor cats inside or outside when I'm on vacation?
They like to spend most of their time outside and when we're home we open the door so they can choose to come in (they still stay outside most of the time)
They have a shed in the garden where they can stay for shelter and food/water when we're not home.
I think they'd prefer outside but I'm scared they might feel abandoned and run away when we're gone for a week....
Someone will come check on them but they will probably not run into them because they don't come when called.
>>
Text wall incoming, sorry but I'm getting desperate.

My cat is too demanding, please help me.
He gets excited for too long and never stops playing, he lives by his own time schedule and I and him are living alone here, he will do everything that annoys me if I don't play with him or give him attention and he is really good at it.

I used to let him play with a mouse toy alone, until some day he started "including me" in his games, he wants to play fetch, no matter what, he will bring the toy to me so I throw it, and if I don't, he'll start scratching the curtains or biting.

How can I get him to play alone or if anything just to play 1 to 2 hours max, sometimes he gets excited a whole night, I can barely finish my work.

I could tell him to fuck off, but I don't want him to destroy my couch or to make noises and wake the neighbors.
I thought about absolutely everything, getting violent and rough doesn't work, he thinks I'm playing and will do the same and gets worse if I get raise the tone(I don't want him to go berserk).

If I lock him up he can open the door, he actually broke one door knob, he'll meow for hours if I just lock him in his carrier and I can't have him wake the neighbors again.

As you can tell I adopted the most spoiled fuck in the world, he is really sweet and loving but I can't get him to let me the fuck alone for a second while I work, this dude waits for me by the door all day until I come back.
You might think it's cute and all, but the cuteness wears out after so long.

I've been pretty rough this whole time when it comes to discipline, but he will never be afraid to try again a transgression, I should be proud of how brave he is I guess, but I can't delay the work I have to do at night any longer, the cat doesn't understand that obviously, as pathetic as it sounds I'm getting torn by a cat...
>>
>>3024829
Well, you should probably stop hitting your cat when it misbehaves, as that isn't likely to solve anything. You're rewarding the cat with attention it feels is play, so you're reinforcing bad behavior.
>>
>>3024829
Sounds like normal happy young cat behaviour. Usually only older cats don't demand more than 15 to 30 minutes of daily playtime, kittens and younger ones are a shitload of work if you keep them without another young cat and don't have a family to take turns in entertaining it.
Playing is a basic need and if there's no healthy way to get rid of all that energy the cat has to deal with a lot of frustration which can lead to agressive and destructive behaviour.

People underestimating the social contact and entertainment expecially young cats need is the reason why some breeders and shelters only give them away to or with a partner.

tl;dr:
Get a second cat, neutered, same sex and similar age or give it back and adopt an old one instead.
>>
>>3024829
>being violent with your cat
The best solution would be to find him a better owner
>>
>>3024829
>hahaha why the fuck did you get a cat then

These are normal cat things. You're just not suitable to have a cat.

Deal with it or adopt it out.
>>
File: 20181117_210426.jpg (876 KB, 1836x3264)
876 KB
876 KB JPG
Her name is Ren
>>
>>3024751
How is he with you? He probably still needs to adjust. My cats would walk away from me the first weeks but now they love cuddling.
>>
>>3025092
*how long has he been with you
Sorry about that
>>
>>3025092
Ive had him for about a week or so, hes also young about 1.5 years old. So I do understand it takes time, I honestly just miss him snuggling with me. Hed plant his face right next to mine and purr like crazy.
>>
>>3024581
i woke up and he was dead but i don't feel anything yet
>>
>>3024550
which one is male? your gf or the cat?
>>
Hey guys, I've been a bit worried about my cat.
He used to be really playful and would run around the house, but now he spends most of the time in his cat tower sleeping or lying down. He doesn't want to go outside as much as he used to and goes back inside when he hears a loud/strange noise. He'll often hide under the bed as well. He still eats, drinks water, and uses his litter, but this kind of behavior isn't really normal for him.
I'm taking him to the vet this weekend, does anyone know what might be wrong with him?
>>
>>3024829
>getting violent
>because a cat wants to spend time with his owner
Brainlet
>>
>>3025295
Sounds like he got old.
>>
>>3024829
How old is it?
>>
>>3024453
Some cats have smaller litters, and it’s entirely possible the little one you saw had siblings that have already died off. The bodies would be dragged away if that were the case, and probably eaten by something or other.
>>
>>3025295
Could be an infection, thyroid issue, or >>3025443. Get blood work done for sure. It's not that expensive.
>>
>>3025443
>>3025488
He's about 1.5 years old. Yeah, blood work sounds like a good idea.
>>
>>3024881
Dilute calico a pretty.
>>
File: 1552383287299.jpg (41 KB, 500x373)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
I lost my kat last week. My house feels so empty.
>>
>>3024868
>>3024876
>>3025399
See? there are always these bitch niggers coming out with their pussy mentality learned from the youtube crap vets "hurrr be relaxed and try to understand your animal xDDD"

Listen, just because one gets rough with a cat(especially with a young kitten) for discipline doesn't mean they are abusing him, physically hitting your pet has its own boundaries, it doesn't mean you're beating the shit out of your pet to simply give him taps on his forehead, it doesn't even hurt them.

You would see less people bitching about how their cat enslave them to buy new plates every week if more owners knew to not feed bad behavior, or people getting surprised that his steroid dog gets aggressive out of the blue and doesn't obey commands, because instinct and character got stronger than his owner's voice.
My cat might be annoying now, he was way worse before, he is disciplined regardless of his playful behavior which I think is nothing weird.

My problem is that my cat is too demanding and I'm afraid of getting him depressed if I don't find a way to amuse him, or teaching him to entertain himself without needing me all the time in his games, because no matter what he plays he always get me to play with him.
He fucking brought a mice once, he wanted me to play fetch with him at it was still living.
He is sleeping comfortably on my leg and purring as I write all of this, all signs of a stressed and anxiously agressive cat, holy shit!
Please just take your bitch nigger beliefs and shove them up your asses.
>>
>>3025586
Cats playfight all the time, you giving him a tap is probably seen as part of play. As soon as he shows bad behaviour (claws or bites for example), say "no" in a firm voice and then turn away. Either go do something else that you want to do or just sit there without giving him any attention. He'll quickly learn that playtime is over if he misbehaves. If he goes for your curtains or w/e quickly and quietly lift him away from them, face him away from them and continue to give him some quiet time to calm down.
>>
>>3025588
I'm not hitting him when we play, and I can't do that anymore because he is grown up now, and will defend himself. the only time I ever got somewhat rough I saw he still thought we were playing, and I think he will get rougher the more I get rough, until it becomes out of control.

I did yell "no" firmly and turn away many times, he just keeps chasing...
If I don't give him any attention he will start doing anything that bothers me, he is good at it.

He won't stop anything he does, lifting him away from curtains doesn't work(I had to remove the steel bars because he grips on them) so I think he is actually getting stressed by not being able to do anything as long as I'm not playing with him 24/7 and if this goes on my fear is that he gets depressed and never plays again;
Which happens often, many times I've seen owners trying to inhibit their active cats, until they get borderline depressed and sit on the couch all day as they get fat(like their owners).
I see many people telling me to get him a buddy cat, but this is bad idea, he will get depressed too, he is too old for accepting somebody else in his home.

Aren't there ways to make a cat play alone or go do by himself?
>>
>>3025597
You need patience. Either that or try out a second cat. I thought the same with mine a few years ago, but ended up rescuing a litter of stray kittens (only a few weeks old). He got used to them in less than a day, and we ended up keeping one after finding homes for the rest since he was so attached to them. He's been really well behaved ever since he's had a friend to keep him company. Don't take it personally that you're not enough to keep him happy, cats are intelligent and need activities/interaction. Even four hours of play a day means your little guy will be sat around for the other 20 with nothing to do but sleep or look out windows, and especially younger cats have a lot of energy to burn.
>>
>>3024467
She doesn't have any yet, just would like a preventative
>>
How can I make a cat stop wasting my curtains? It's the old kind of curtains, he already destroyed the sofa, the curtains were really expensive and look great.

He has a tower to scratch and climb, but apparently he just wants to go where he wants when he wants.
Can I make the curtains undesirable in some way?
>>
>>3025098
You really shouldn't worry then. He's still adjusting to his new home. Cats might show a completely different personality when they just moved because it's a bit traumatic to them but they will get over it. Some faster than others, one of my cats got adjusted very quickly but it's tiny baby steps with the other one and it's been months. He still runs away from me but every evening we have a long cuddling session wich he really seems to enjoy because it's on his his terms, where and when he wants. After a while I'll be able to pet him anywhere like with my other cat.
The key ingredient with cats is patience, especially when it comes to showing affection.
Don't give up on him anon, just give him time and you will be rewarded with many cuddles.
>>
>>3024752
>faggot janny deleted my post

You catfags are fucking pathetic.
>>
>>3025586
You just seem like a lazy owner who got more than he bargained for. If you wanted a cat that needed less attention, you should've gone for an older cat or an outdoors cat.

>not appreciating living mouse gifts
Your cat obviously adores you and you dont even appreciate it. Seems like you don't deserve such a loving cat.

>Please just take your bitch nigger beliefs and shove them up your asses.
Go back to /b/
>>
>>3025744
Isn't there a spray for that? I forgot what it's called. Or maybe putting a scratch post next to their favorite curtain?
>>
File: 20190517_043118 - Copy.jpg (2.81 MB, 5312x2988)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>3021901
She hid for the first couple of days and only today started accepting me as an owner. She has some bumps on her back I'll need a vet to look at but overall seems in good spirits.
>>
>>3025744
Double sided tape.

Personally, I suggest just putting up different less valuable curtains, though. Pack up the old ones and maybe pull them out in a few years and see if things go differently, maybe they’ll be less interesting to your cat then.

When I got a cat, I just gave up on owning nice things. I’d like to consider getting a taxidermy display, but there’s no way that’s happening while my cat’s around.
>>
>>3024623
I work at a shelter. It's almost always the roasties who leave cats behind because their "fiance is allergic", or because they are "moving across the country to their fiancee" and can't ba arsed to bring the cat along. I hope those cunts all died busted and alone with no children or family to look after them
>>
>>3025748
I owned my cat for about six years before she started displaying affectionate behaviors I had thought she was just never going to do.
>>
Help, my cat is not eating from yesterday and also he didn't used the litterbox today, he is standing in the pic pose and move very often. usually he's a playful cat and is always running and jumping. in these days I give to him some little pices of chips, but I've done it a few time past. Should I take him to the vet or u guys think is something to not worry about?
>>
>>3025899
he also doesn't respond to my stimulations like playng etc.. and in the past week he miaowed a lot (more than normally) I don't know what to do
>>
>>3025899
Definitely take him to the vet. He's got something going on.
>>
>>3025899
>>3025901
My cat had something like this not too long ago... Vet had to take a blood sample. His platelets count was low, due to "tick disease" (could've been inherited by the mother). Gave him antibiotics and he got better. Take your cat to the vet
>>
File: chuck4.jpg (2.37 MB, 1944x2592)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
I love my goofy little fuck. He's a little clingy sometimes tho.
>>
I love how this thread is filled with “Help my cat is acting like a little asshole wat do?!” posts. Like what did you expect, you bought a cat. Its only going to hang out with you for maybe an hour (if youre lucky) before it fucks off for the next 18, and if you try and force it to do anything, its going to bitchslap you. Of course, this changes when it wants something, at which point its just going to annoy the shit out of you until it gets it. Since theyre intelligent, theyre also extremely manipulative. For some reason people think these shitty interactions and the novelty and beauty of the cat outweigh their overall unpleasantness and aloofness. If you cant get into that mindset, dont get a cat. Or, dont adopt some faggot retard tabby from a shelter, get a breed that isnt retarded garbage and try and raise it to be something special.
>>
File: Santa Fe.jpg (86 KB, 1137x640)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Still missing my pal like crazy.
>>
>>3026184
> get a breed that isnt retarded garbage and try and raise it to be something special.
This is so underrated. I have a breed cat and it's so well-behaved, sweet and already knows how to use litter, scratching post, never bites, never use claws against human skin, sleeps in bed with humans, loving creature. Of course, rescuing a cat from the shelter is heroic and stuff but it's a pure lottery especially for noob owners who never had a cat before.
>>
>>3026184
>breed
kill yourself retard
>>
>>3026184
>treat breed well because breed
>actually becomes friendly
With cats you get what you put into and nothing more. If you ignore or annoy them they become assholes because they see you as one.
>>
File: received_830373747343638.jpg (679 KB, 3024x4032)
679 KB
679 KB JPG
Kalikot had babies recently.
>>
File: received_1176129802535439.jpg (685 KB, 3024x4032)
685 KB
685 KB JPG
>>3026569
4 beautiful kotties.
>>
>>3026571
Kalikot even let her owner play with them a few minutes a day.
>>
File: received_821726164841132.jpg (137 KB, 1125x2436)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>3026573
The kotties grew fast.
>>
File: received_530202424164974.jpg (1.16 MB, 3024x4032)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>3026577
Too bad the owner had to give them away. T'was good, retarded looking, kots.
>>
File: received_2196159403967057.jpg (143 KB, 1125x2436)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>3026580
But she kept one longer, as to not traumatize Kalikot.
>>
File: received_417946485688709.jpg (593 KB, 4096x2723)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
>>3026582
But she had to eventually give it away too. Now Kalikot is mad at hoomans. She loved her babies, even after the hormones wore off.
>>
File: received_827958627562007.jpg (1.03 MB, 3024x4032)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>3026584
Kalikot is now sprayed, her owner wanted to make her have kotties before that.
>>
>>3026431
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cat_breeds

Explain yourself, dipshit. Surely youre not trying to say that all cats are the same? Because theyre not.
>>
File: jesse and arthur.jpg (376 KB, 1008x756)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
Guys, I've had my cats for a year, and they've always hated each other and fought, but today is the first time ever I've seen them touch noses. I'm so happy.
>>
>>3026593
First off stop posting mobile links. Second off, he didn't say cats are all the same. Third off, a vast vast majority of cats do not have a breed and are muts, and if you get a pedigree of a cat that isn't a coon or a baldboy, you're stupid and wasting money.
>>
>>3026605
Your nigglets have finally resigned to their fate
>>
Whose cat is /comfy/ right now?
>>
File: 1557210689678.gif (2.55 MB, 320x238)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB GIF
>>3026663
Merlin is locced loaded and ready to cuddle
>>
>>3026605
my childhood kots took 3 years to warm up to each other. they never cuddled but they did end up curling up next to each other and helping each other out (opening doors)
>>
File: IMG-20190509-WA0029.jpg (66 KB, 1200x1600)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Im so excited guys tomorrow Im getting a kot after years of not owning one.

Im being gifted a smol kot about 1.5 months old

Any advice for such a smol dude? Previous cats I had were adults when i got them
>>
>>3026703
its going to crawl into a corner somewhere and take a shit
>>
File: sad cat having a sip.png (146 KB, 444x438)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
I woke up super early today and overheard my mother telling my dad to bring my cat inside to eat. She insisted. The cat that my neighbor abandoned was not around all day meowing so I decided to check the local animal control website and I happened to find it on top of their lost and found feed. But my cats sister is also missing but its not on their website. They wont open again until Monday and im freaking out thiking that they put it to sleep or something its really tiny and looks scrawny
>>
>>3026710
why
>>
>>3026916
Shelters generally have a stray hold where any cat or dog, whether brought in or reported and captured, are posted online before being put down after a couple weeks have passed.
>>
What are the best ways to make a cat avoid some spaces in the house?
I don't want him to become stressed, so it's not like I'm looking in restricting too much space, but he likes to go into the bathroom, all the time, he does mostly to get my attention, and somehow he loves sitting inside the bathtub.

It doesn't matter to him if he gets in or not, just as long as he makes noise, so he knows how to open doors by jumping on the door knob, he will never stop even if lock the door and already broke one door knob.

Even if I need to buy some gadget to make him avoid the door space I'll do it.
Odors, paper foils,...etc whatever I just need to know the best tools to use.
>>
>>3027005
That's just what kittens do that aren't litter box trained
>>
>>3024751
I think that's normal. My fat boys were the same way when I got them. Just give it time.
>>
File: Tigger.jpg (1.98 MB, 4032x3024)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
My brother left town without warning and I've been taking care of his cat while he's gone. It's friendly enough but I've been having a few problems.
1. The Cat will not shut the fuck up. all hours of the day and night he constantly meows at me. I make sure that he is fed and watered and I clean his litterbox more than my brother ever did, but he won't stop meowing constantly at me. I'll be taking a shit or trying to fap and all I can hear is "Meow meow meow meow meow"
2. This little bastard claws everything I own. My comfy chair, the couch, the breakfast stool, the front door, the back door, my other comfy chair, my ps4, my desk, my bedframe, my clothes, me and I just want it to stop.

Any advice? I just want some peace and quiet.
Pic related, the cat in question.
>>
>>3022438
They are both from the local shelter, we got them about 3 years ago. They are really good friends and I'm so happy it worked out like that.
>>
>>3027269
Those are all stress responses. You have to relieve its stress somehow.
Try jerking it off.
>>
>>3027282
So, what, Tranq the little fuck?
>>
>>3024600
>Your weak and out of shape cats will die without ever experiencing the beauty of nature.
saying this while posting your fatass overfed motherfucker is top irony
>>
>>3027302
That's her fluff you dumbass
>>
>>3025752
Why you sorry ass.
Having to work with no distraction to pay the bills makes me lazy?
See what I meant when I said you niggers don't get shit, first chance you get you then talk shit.

>you don't deserve such a loving cat

You stupid fuck, I found this cat when he was 2 months old, in the garbage with his two sisters, one of her had to be killed afterwards.
Sadly the niggers who did it will never get punished for this.
I could keep only the cat I have now, I left his sister at a vet and they gave her to respectable people, they thought they knew, because they had already raised a poodle...

But then not even two days caring for my new kitten, he starts bleeding from his nose, dirt builds around his ears he can't stop scratching them, and last he gets red lumps all over his face his whole eye and belly got the swelling.
I had to see 4 vets before I found a competent professional and not some bitch who graduated from a remote college in Nigeria.

I was already just living on welfare money now I had to pay more than I could afford normally for his treatment and at any time I could catch fungus too.

It took about three months until he was fully healed, and he was already crazy annoying then.
Well in any case I never regreted one bit having him with me.

If you wonder about his sister, a month ago I went back to that same vet, for his food, and she couldn't believe it was the same cat I brought years ago with his cute face all clean.
And guess who was also there, sick dying and covered in mites?
His sister.
Apparently the people who took her (probably niggers) gave her back just as soon as they saw she had fungus like my cat, and to that day nobody took her or paid for her treatment.
The vet said this shit is not something new for her it happens a lot to just return your toy pet.

So you see cunt, even if I don't deserve him, I wouldn't have risked that fate by dumping for someone else to adopt because you never know, even rich pricks dumb their pet.
>>
I'm just really curious about how cat sleeping works.
How long does a cat typical sleep for per session of sleep? Do they sleep irregularly (like different time pers session of sleep, naps etc) because of the fact that they live with diurnal humans or do they adapt fairly well?
Should I really be waking my cat?I'm just really curious about how cat sleeping works.
How long does a cat typical sleep for per session of sleep? Do they sleep irregularly (like different time pers session of sleep, naps etc) because of the fact that they live with diurnal humans or do they adapt fairly well?
Should I really be waking my cat?I'm just really curious about how cat sleeping works.
Should I really be waking my cat? Half the time, it doesn't even seem like she's really sleeping.
>>
has anyone used a pet moving service? or moved their pets long distances by air or anything? i need some tips and recommendations for getting some cats halfway across the country to a new house and i have no idea where to start.
>>
sometimes my cat glitches and starts biting me for no reason
I wanna know why, but it's not like he's going to tell me
>>
>>3021862
>>3026418
Does he not have a tail or is he lying on it in these pics? Handsome kot.

>>3025744
>foster kot liked scratching couch
>placed another scratching post like a foot away from favorite scratching place on couch
>clapped to startle kot away from couch if she tried to scratch it
>kot started using post instead of couch in 1-2 days

>>3025899
Vet ASAP.

>>3026178
Cute boi.

>>3026584
This pic looks like it belongs in one of those cat calendars.

>>3026703
This kitten is too young to be separated from its mother. 8 weeks is the minimum; separating before this leads to increased risk of developing behavioral and/or health problems.

>>3027091
Why is it bad for him to go in the bathroom/bathtub?

>>3027269
Sounds bored/stressed. Play with him more.
>>
>>3027080
It's still weird to me that shelters exist that actually put animals down without medical reason. I'm glad that shit doesn't exist here and we're actually are able to import pets from other countries kill shelters sometimes.

>>3026587
>her owner wanted to make her have kotties before that.
Poor Kalikot.

>>3026703
>1.5 months old
Can't you leave it with its family for a little while longer? Not seperating them before 12 to 16 weeks is best in my opinion, for humans and cats alike. As soon as the mom starts to react more aggressive to their kittens bullshit the real parenting has started and should go on for at least a week.
Also make sure you really have enough time and patience at hand to meet a kittens social needs or else better get two or an adult one.

>>3027269
1. Cats have social needs, too. Expecialli if he misses your brother he'll need some extra hugs and playtime.
2. Either it's because you react to the clawing in any way so the cat is learning that it has to destroy things to get you to react since 'bad' attention >>> not enough attention or it's excessive marking behaviour probably due to stress. In that case just put carpet or cardboard on top of his favourite spots and try to get him to rub his body and face everywhere instead.
>>
>>3027724
God fucking dammit. I didn't even want a cat. Then my fucking tard brother decides to trip on out of here leaving a mess and the only responsibility he's ever had in his life.
This cat it too good for him and I'm not even a cat person.
>>
>>3027758
So I have to go out and buy more shit he didn't buy for his pet. Great.
So how should I react when he claws shit? My method up till now has been squirting him with water and calling him a faggot.
>>
>>3027722
btw, it's not a rhetorical question
>>
Should obese people be allowed to own pets? I mean look at how they feed their children. And have you ever seen a fat person with a healthy pet?
>>
>>3027269
You got a ginger nigglet
They're known to be feisty
Mine was into biting as well
But I came to realize he just plays rough
Try wearing work gloves and play with him
He'll mellow out with he gets older
>>
File: 1537725561915.jpg (105 KB, 700x500)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>3027773
GODDAMMIT IT'S NOT MY CAT.
>>
Any tips on helping someone my cat doesn’t know feed him and give him water?
Basically, he hasn’t been eating, not sure if he’s drinking since it’s hard to tell but he’s been hiding from a family member he doesn’t know while I’m away on a trip.
I have other friends that can definitely help if it comes to it, but is my cat just depressed? Will he eventually come out of hiding and eat even if he’s scared? I’m afraid he isn’t even drinking
>>
File: Santa Fe.jpg (36 KB, 960x540)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>3027724
When we got him as a kitten his tail was bent at a strange angle as if someone intentionally hurt him. It would've interfered with his use of the litter box so we had the vet remove it using the laser. Had to put him down in April and I still haven't gotten over it.
>>
File: IMG_20190519_090450.jpg (1.72 MB, 2340x4160)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
Lil boi sleeping
>>
>>3027781
I'm clairvoyant
This orange nigger will be with you until its life run out
It will be with you through thick and thin
You'll cry really hard once it crosses the rainbow bridge

Godspeed
>>
File: D1HMERUUcAEUnv3.jpg (1022 KB, 2256x1634)
1022 KB
1022 KB JPG
Just posting some cat I found on some twitter.
>>
my cat has a shaved-like spot on her left lower side/belly as if she licked off all the fur

why
>>
>>3027785
fluffy boi
must've felt nice spreading your hands all over that fluffy belly
>>3028002
beware the gray beans!!!
>>
>>3027269
Play with him. Sounds like you've moved him into your place from your brothers? It's gonna stress him a lot to be in an alien place for a while, if he's going to be there a long time you might want to get a scratching post and make some cat friendly areas.
>>
>>3027761
>buy
Usually cardboard, old cloth and something like that for first aid protection of furniture can be found for free. This shouldn't be a longterm solution anyway but depending on how long he's away it might not even be worth the trouble of trying to change it while getting frustrated if the damage increases.

>So how should I react when he claws shit?
If he's doig it as marking/scratching use a consequent sharp and loud 'no!' followed by calmly putting him away from the wrong spot and next to something he is allowed to scratch (can be a big branch or piece of wood from outside). Put the scratch posts at prominent places in the room.
If you think he's doing it fo attention just completely ignore it (therefor the protective gear for furniture).
Also if he scratches the right thing, reward him with positive attention, talk like he just won a nobel prize, pet him and offer a minute playtime.

>>3027784
>is my cat just depressed?
Maybe. Mine did something similar once, she suddently hid under a bush near the house, did'nt want to leave and cried while we were away. And she didn't even have a problem the first week, hitting week two was somehow too much.
In our case it helped letting people move in except just visiting 3 times a day.
>>
>>3027269
You took him from his familiar home. He's stressed out. Play with him. Get an old shoe string and just flop it back and forth. It's not rocket surgery playing with cats.
>>
File: 1507081983384.jpg (42 KB, 792x600)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>3028005
FUUUUCCCCKKKK
>>3028035
>>3028169
He's in the same apartment as always, the one where me and my brother live, but only I pay for. The only difference is that the other occupant is off chasing tail instead of looking for a job or god forbid, taking care of the pet he smuggled into college.
>>3028059
I'll check my recycling for some cardboard.
>>
File: Santa Fe.jpg (217 KB, 1152x2048)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>3028011
He was truly the king of belly fluff.
>>
>>3023462
kot means cat in polish
>>
>>3027762
It's actually not a question at all, har har.

In all seriousness, you haven't really given us enough info to help with why your cat might do this. Does it happen during playtime or petting? If so, my guess would be that they are getting overstimulated.
>>
what should i do if i want one of my two cats to lose weight but don't want to starve the other cat
>>
>>3027430

You did a good thing saving the cat. I'm glad you did that. I don't know why your cat is doing the things it is, but it does sound like it is probably at least partially so attached to you for saving it that it does these things (bringing "presents", needing constant attention and interaction). Think about how you would feel in the same situation, not saying animals are the same as humans, but if someone picked you up out of the garbage when you were sick and dying and got you healthy and fed you and kept you safe and warm and clean when up until then all you had known was privation and pain, you'd probably do whatever you could to pay them back.

Based on what you are saying though, you probably are not going to get a ton of help here - there's obviously context we are missing out on (like what you just explained in this post) and possibly a language barrier - when I read your first post I thought you were hitting the cat hard, and that doesn't work on them (or, when it does, it makes them suspicious of you rather than stop the behavior altogether).

If the problem if big enough and you can afford it, maybe consult a behaviorist? Other than that the only advice I can give you is to try to figure out why they do what they do from their perspective and change the root reason for their behavior. Not very helpful I know. Some of these things the cat might also grow out of. it doesn't sounds like it had a chance to wrestle with its littermates or be properly socialized, so the cat has a disadvantage there.

Again, you did a good thing. Be patient and be loving is all I can really say - I wish I had more practical advice.
>>
>>3028402
No free feeding, sit down with them at mealtime and make sure the right cat is eating the right food. More play - it doesn't hurt the non fatass and helps the fatass.
>>
>>3021085
>20 years old

Let me tell you my story. When I was 15, all my siblings went away for Uni, there was a stray cat in my apartment building. I was begging my mom for a pet, birds, turtles, hamsters, mice, or a cat. My mom finally let me take in the stray cat, and she was a kitten, maybe 1-2 months. Flash-forward to now, I’m graduating Uni this May, and my cat is almost 7. She’s a cool cat, not too friendly but she severely impacts my choices for housing. Most places don’t allow cats, and it’s made finding a place post-Uni insane.
I tell people it’s very much like having a teenage pregnancy. I made a decision when I was young which was stupid, and that follows me and impacts all my decisions now. I didn’t think about how long cats live and it affects a lot of things. Sure kittens are cute and all, but that’s all stupid high school me was thinking about. I didn’t think about not being able to go on vacation because I need somebody to take care of my cat. My mom took care of my cat the first 2 years of Uni, and now that it lives with me, she is so happy she has her freedom back, she can go on trips whenever she wants without having to worry about the cat.

If you are locked in on getting a cat, at least get an older cat from a shelter, first of all that needs a home, and also one that will not be a long term commitment. I love my cat but I’m going to take a long break after she goes so I can have my freedom back.
>>
>>3025586
This, stray cats get into brutal street fights with each other all the time (teeth and claws) smacking them for discipline once in a while isn’t going to scar them.
>>
I NEED HELP!

So I just got a kitten today, and it's the first night. I wanted to let him roam around, but he started eating a bunch of random shit on the floor of my living room.
So tomorrow I'm gunna vacuum first thing but I've put him in the stairwell (with water, litterbox, and a bed) and he's meowing and I feel really bad.
Is anything going to happen if I leave him in there?
>>
File: IMG_20140531_103428.jpg (859 KB, 3264x2448)
859 KB
859 KB JPG
My cat is dying. We were away for 2 days and upon returning she was in extremely poor health. Emergency vet says it's not leukemia, but something has caused her marrow to stop producing red and white blood cells. The options were to throw a few thousand into intensive care and see if an incredibly grim prognosis reverses itself, or to have her euthanized, or to just wait it out.

Can't afford the first. Can't stomach the second quite yet. Went with taking her home.

I'm not sure what I am looking for here, maybe some reassurance that I didn't go with the least humane option. If she is in worse shape tomorrow I think it'll have to be an in-home euthanization.

Hold me anons.
>>
>>3027767
Lots of normal-sized people with fat pets; rarely a fat person with a normal-sized pets. If it isn't fat yet, they probably only just got it.
>>
>>3028825
Is it IMHA?
>>
File: dumb idiot caged.jpg (53 KB, 600x600)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>
Can cats only actually be truly content outdoors? My last cat, given the choice, spent most of its time outdoors hunting around, coming home only to sleep, get affection, and eat, but then went stray. I recently got a pair of indoor kittens that are playfriends, but they also expect almost constant attention and stimulation from me. Starting to feel guilty now keeping them inside. Obviously have no intention of letting kittens outside, but I'm actually considering giving them away to someone who doesn't feel guilty keeping cats shut in.
>>
File: IMG_9333 (2)[636].jpg (100 KB, 577x1024)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>
>>3028842
Not sure. No diagnosis was given aside from "not leukemia" and "her bone marrow is not producing anything". The only option that may have gotten us a diagnosis was basically putting her in intensive care for as long as they needed.

I've seen a lot of family animals die and I am not a believer in prolonging a painful life, and the prognosis they gave was that she will likely die at any moment. So I dunno.
>>
>>3028810
He gonna an hero on the steps.
>>
how long can i leave my 8 month old kot alone? going back to work soon and I dont want to leave him alone for too long.
>>
My cat hasn't eaten at all today. He's just kind of laid around. I'm not sure if he's drinking either. Yesterday he was normal.

This evening he puked white foam but nothing else. His favorite foods like tuna juice or wet cat food, he has no interest in tonight. He's usually food obsessed.

I intend to go to the vet tomorrow but what could be wrong?
>>
>>3028810
He will feel very lonely.
>>
>>3028810
Let him sleep in your bedroom
>>
File: Wait for it faggot.gif (153 KB, 494x419)
153 KB
153 KB GIF
>>3028961
OP might have gotten a hold of him but I pray that's not the case.
>>
>>3028961
My cat was like that a couple of weeks ago. Scared the hell out of me because his mother dropped dead without warning earlier this year, but by the end of the day he was back to his old self. Seems like what might have happened is he hacked up a furball and made his throat sore.
>>
>>3029152
Thanks, that's encouraging. He's still not eating though, but this morning he was hacking up white foam again. I don't want to disturb him by moving him by car but don't want to just wait on it until he gets worse
>>
>>3028398
Certainly I wasn't very specific about the issue, my apologies
It happens mostly during petting (after some time he starts trying to bite my hands, arms and sometimes even face), with little to no warning. And while it's not a major problem, I can't seem to identify clearly what triggers such a behavior
>>
>>3029174
Just keep him close and force feed him some milk from time to time, that's what I did when my cat was like this, it took her about 3 days to start eating again but now she's perfectly fine. If you are really worried go to the vet.
>>
File: received_431869110960075.jpg (660 KB, 3024x4032)
660 KB
660 KB JPG
What did this dumbass do? We were away and my relative was house sitting for us and late one night his paw was bleeding. Took him to the vet and got cleaned up, this is the day after pic. We couldnt figure out what he cut himself on even after inspecting everything in the house. Could he have bit himself or what
>>
I prefer to sleep with my windows open so here I am, woken by a soaking wet longhaired furball walking over me and crunching mouse bones. The worst thing is that it makes me so damn happy. Toxobrain is real.
>>
>>3029316
Maybe try watching his tail? Does he ever "bang" his tail on the ground before he bites? Or start switching it back and forth when just a second before it was just wrapped around him?
>>
>>3029534
How did you go about force-feeding? A syringe and kinda squirt it in her mouth?

I went to the vet and did some tests, nothing was found but I'm going in for more tests. It's been 2 days and still no eating at all. No drinking anymore too. Any advice is appreciated. He is 14 years old but should be still healthy for some more years and has always been an indoor cat.

I think somehow he might have gotten a tiny chicken bone somehow lodged in him.
>>
File: imagejpeg_0_01.jpg (230 KB, 768x1024)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
say something nice about my baby girl. my parents don't let me walk our cats for some reason, so she and her lil bro roam freely outside and i really worry for them.
>>
File: 1497214889403.jpg (47 KB, 475x530)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>Cat likes to sit in the most annoying in-the-way places as possible, usually the middle of a walkway
>Light in room isn't working, so it's pitch black
>Try to walk through room
>Accidentally kick cat
Fucking hell. I feel bad, but why the fuck does he sit there? He's just asking for it.
>>
>>3030168
This happens to a lot of people. Don't feel bad they usually don't take damage or hold it against you.
>>
>>3030168
Does a hot water pipe run under that spot?
>>
File: 20180508_212711.jpg (2.78 MB, 2268x4032)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
Sup, niggys.
Recently my cat wouldn't eat and seemed tired on Friday. Went to our vet to check up on her since I was told there was a bad case of bobcat fever going around (she is strictly an indoor cat) but all she had was a fever. Got the shot, and went back to acting normal over the weekend.
This morning she's acting the same and I'm just curious if fevers are this frequent or she's just acting odd this morning. Anyone have anything? If not, I'll probably go back to the vet this evening.
>>
File: anime girl drawing.jpg (7 KB, 218x250)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
got my cat out from the big gay feline prison
they charged me 45 dollars
>>
File: fktPuk4.jpg (855 KB, 2092x3718)
855 KB
855 KB JPG
^______^y
>>
>>3030143
Yes, at some point(but couldn't tell if always) he does shake his tail; although I never thought of this as a warning, since he does something similar when he's relaxed and I say his name...
>>
>>3030177
She has bobcat fever :(
I've just had her for a year since my sister and I adopted her from a shelter and I'm afraid to lose her this soon.
>>
I have a flea infestation, usual treatments don't seem to be working, any suggestions?
>>
>>3022473
A cute
>>
File: 1557781237249.png (496 KB, 2267x1903)
496 KB
496 KB PNG
>>3030257
>>
Sister dumped two kittens on me, about 3 months old.

What do I fed them?
>>
>>3030227
I think the best advice I can give you is to keep an eye on that tail, then. Different cats do different things (I have a ginger that switches her tail around ALL THE TIME and never bites) but thumping the tail or switching it back and forth is often a sign that they have “had enough” - in crude terms,for the cat, the petting at that point might be a little like having the tip of your dick sucked post-orgasm. It doesn’t feel BAD exactly but it’s just TOO MUCH.

They do the tail switching for other reasons as well (any kind of high “emotion” from what I understand) but this is maybe something for you to watch. I’d be surprised if he tries to bite without ANY tail movement. if he’s just sitting quiet with his tail still and you’re petting him it would surprise me if he goes from that to biting.

If it was just your hands I would say it might just be love bites but you said sometimes it’s your face etc. do you know how young he was when he was removed from his mom and litter?

Hope this helps.
>>
>>3030227
Also there may be a difference between a “quiver” where he straightens his tail and shakes it really fast and shallowly, and a “switch” where the whole tail goes all the way back and forth or what I call a “thump” which is what my other cat does when he starts to have had enough - he will thwack his tail on the floor or cushion hard enough for it to be audible. The “greeting” shake your cat gives you might be a quiver - which usually indicates they are super happy - versus one of these other behaviors.

But I am guessing here - anyway I DO hope it helps.
>>
>>3028825
I am so sorry to hear this. Make the last times as good as you can.
>>
>put in fresh litter
>leave bathroom
>cat goes in, sounds like they went poopies
>go to scoop
>cant find anything
i am a new cat owner of 2, pls help. also how soon should i scoop their pee? asap like poop?
>>
File: IMG_20190522_011133_356.jpg (51 KB, 1280x721)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>
File: 20120904-213417.jpg (135 KB, 640x480)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>am planning on getting a cat from a breeder
>people giving me shit for not adopting
>have literally volunteered hundreds of hours at a shelter and know exactly how it is but want a pretty cat anyways
Sigh
>>
>>3030480
Some just like to dig a little in fresh litter, maybe they want to make sure it's usable again.
Pee usually takes a little while to get soaked up so I'd wait with it. If you scoop it before the next use in most cases that's enough.
Also congratuliation, how do you like it so far?
>>
>>3030541
it's fun. i wish they liked me enough to knead my tummy or other things. but they seem to like it here at least. just trying to keep the litter box as fresh smelling as possible
>>
>>3030273
Program is my favourite.
pro: it also gets the larvae that's hidden in your home.
con: it takes a while to really show effects so you have to add a fast-killing one after a week. Capstar is the one of the same brand if I remember right but I never had to use it.

>>3030321
12 Weeks should is old enough to feed normal wet.
>>
should i get it declawed? don't want to be an ass but i also don't want it scratching shit up, you know? already got a couple mousers, don't really need a clawed one indoors.
>>
>>3030586
it's a lot easier than you think to move that behavior to a cat tower. just keep it near the thing theyre scratching and scare them with loud noise when they scratch it. then pick them up and forcibly run their paws against the tower. it sounds silly, but i was able to ween them to the scratching post in just a week. once they get used to it, start moving the tower to a preffered area a few inches a day because if you just put it somewhere you can ignore it easily, they will too.
>>
I noticed my cat have some black substance leak out of her butt, it didn't smell bad and she licked it up.
What could it be?
>>
>>3030586
If you think about declawing better just get a different pet.
As far as I know even in the US it's still not possible to take out its vocal chords if it meows too much or to attach a stoma bag if it starts peeing or pooping where it shouldn't, so tending to your pets needs in a proper way will always be the better solution.
>>
>>3030553
Shit, I'm retarded. I meant 2 months/8 week.
>>
>>3019063
Can a piece of a flower like a petal be swallowed by a cat who then throws/vomits it up whole? My cat vomited this morning and had a red colored piece for his hair ball but the liquid was all white/normal saliva which I've checked as being normal; no bile, blood, etc..My inclination is my little guy swallowed a piece of a red rose petal, then threw it up on my carpet.
>>
>>3030538
mmm, excellent brap oven
>>
>>3026584
My cat hated her kittens by the time they were weaned. She had a litter of four and we kept two, selling the other two as a pair. The kittens are now 18 months old and she has been growling and hissing at them for at least 16 months.

In case anyone knows, would there be a likely cause for this? Does she just think that they're clinging to her and so her aggressiveness is just trying to get them 'out of the nest'?
>>
>>3030257
Good luck Anon, I had never even heard of this being a thing. At least you brought her to the vet-- she has a chance
>>
>>3030168
My cat walks in front of my feet when she wants attention and then gets angry when I scare her from almost falling.
>>
My cats play hide and seek together, its the most adorable thing.
>play fighting together
>one cat goes to the back of the room, the other hides behind a curtain or under a cushion
>1 minute later the other cat comes back, starts looking around to find him
>hidden cat jumps on searching cat to surprise her
>>
File: IMG_0891.jpg (98 KB, 480x640)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>
>>3030969
Thanks. I was told that they were able to catch it early. Another cat that was brought in was at a stage that it was completely lethargic. Didn't want to do anything before it passed away. So here's hoping.
>>
File: foto_no_exif (22).jpg (1.55 MB, 1500x1000)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
kot and maus
>>
https://youtu.be/z3U0udLH974
what's happening here?
>>
>>3030822
Also what's the weirdest thing your kots have ever vomited up, /kot/?
>>
If a cat is quiet and content after having a big meal, did I feed them too much?
>>
>>3031307
That's usually how they are after eating.
>>
Lil boi says hello
>>
>>3030324
>>3030330
Thanks for the advice anon, will try to watch for the 'stop petting' cues. Anyhow I still wonder if the biting has something to do with reclaiming independence(or even dominance). Also I want to point out that this is one of the few bad behaviors he has, overall he's a very nice cat (although a bit dependant sometimes). So while this issue has my curiosity, aswell does other themes like how cats(or at least how I saw mine) have dreams. We could discuss that if you see it better(or continue with the biting, but I don't have that much more of info to give).
>>
>>3031503
Have you tried just playing along and fucking with him? My cat(bless his departed soul) stopped doing that when I started grappling him whenever he decided we were done cuddling. It turned into playful nibbling after that.
>>
File: 20190522_180333.jpg (1.6 MB, 3264x2448)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
Brought this lovely lady home from the local humane society today.

Her name is Princess, but i find Saoirfhlaith to be a better fit

Been here for 4 and a half hours, is super lovey and likes to drink from the toilet more than her dish.
>>
>>3031646
Her new name looks Gaelic to me. I have no idea how to pronounce it but I bet it’s pretty and so is she.
>>
>>3031503
For sure, happy to do it and hope it helps. These are rules of thumb but they don’t always apply - my orange girl sometimes decides she owns my arm when I am petting her belly and the claws come out as she pulls my forearm closer. It hurts like heck but she’s a good girl so I totally understand where you are coming from.

I know nothing about the dreams of cats. I’d love to know more!
>>
>>3031659
Google claims its gaelic, and suggests is pronounced Sayerla. Supposedly means princess or something.

I hear the scots and irish say torties bring good luck, so i figure the gaelic version might be better
>>
Does anyone have experience with abdominal fluids in felines?

Vet thinks my cat has abdominal fluid buildup that's causing him to be really sick and not eat. I'm force feeding him and he's not vomiting. He was fine then suddenly got sick on Sunday and hasn't really gotten better as far as I can tell.

Please, any anons can tell me anything about how they dealt with this?
>>
File: IMG_20190522_211454939.jpg (2.92 MB, 3072x4096)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
I haz a /kot/ again. ^_^ Haven't had a kitten in 15 years. Here we go.

Stray, dunno age (2mo?), 26oz in weight, seems healthy in all respects, no fleas, no worms in poop, ears look clean, natural bobtailed Tom. Gonna call vet tomorrow and ask when they want to see him.
>>
>>3031752
Oh, and he eats regular wet food. Good appetite. Haven't seen him drink yet.
>>
File: IMG_20190520_122624.jpg (2.29 MB, 4160x3120)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
What could have caused this wound on my cats back? A bigger cat? It's healed now, but when it got hurt it wouldn't eat or drink for two days. It just lied and went to pee/shit. The wound is one inch long and at the beggining there was a lump too. The cat is normal now.
>>
File: !Album - 2014.09.01.jpg (884 KB, 2048x1152)
884 KB
884 KB JPG
Moosifer. RIP.
>>
>>3031996
It's another cat
You got a wounded warrior right there
>>
File: 20170712_175438.jpg (1.19 MB, 2560x1440)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
BMX Dinosaur. He loved shoes. RIP.
>>
File: ike.jpg (1.43 MB, 4672x3504)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
Ike. He big.
>>
File: smoke.jpg (3.5 MB, 4672x3504)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
Smoke. A vicious creature made entirely of needles and hatred.
>>
File: sdvbn.jpg (2 MB, 4672x3504)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
Elsbells. She likes to scream at 4am.
>>
File: 20170709_184106.jpg (704 KB, 2560x1440)
704 KB
704 KB JPG
Floof. She likes to scream at all times day and night.
>>
File: Benny.jpg (40 KB, 354x388)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
vet visits are so expensive. My Benny is just over a year old but left the house a little over 6 weeks ago. Came back 2 weeks ago. Skinny, lethargic, won't really eat or drink unless I feed it to him. I don't know what's wrong and I can't afford to find out what's wrong. I just want him to be better :( Now he wheezes when he's breathing. I don't know if he'll even make it through the night.
>>
>>3032289
>vet visits are so expensive

If you can't afford the vet you an't afford the pet.
>>
>>3032289
You can't or you don't want to waste money on this? If you don't have enough saved money for suprise vet visits you should get cat insurance.
>>
>>3031567
Yes, sometimes I have tried making it a game, but it hasn't work out quite well for now...
>>
I have two 2yo cats.

Was talking with a woman who works at a cat rescue centre and she basically said I have to get them neutered asap because if I don't they will get testicular tumor and become aggressive ripping the skin off eachother's neck and spray around the house.

I also have an older cat and he's neutered and he does most of the spraying in the house.

Is the woman full of shit and trying to scare me?
>>
>>3031662
So the cats' dreams are a field for the guessing, but many a time I have observed my cat chew during sleep or move his legs fast as if he was respectively eating or running. This was reminded to me yesterday in another episode of his I hope sweet dreams.
Also I have a quick question: is it normal for a cat's nose to be almost always cold?
>>
>>3032381
>cat rescue centre
It's not unlikely they'll develop spraying behaviour or maybe even territory issues someday, people that have to deal with the fallout of those things (= people that get rid of their pets as soon as those issues arise) on an almost daily basis tend to overdramatize.
>>
>>3032420
That sounds plausible, I did research on neutering when I first got the cats and concluded it wasn't necessary but I don't know anymore.
>>
>>3032272
I have a feeling that if this cat were put into human form he would be an impossibly good looking libertine with unmatched dueling skills who would fabricate matters of honor just for the fun of killing someone and who still got all the girls.
>>
>>3032289
Poor guy. I’m sure it will be hard on your wallet but can’t you get him to the vet?
>>
>>3030162
Anon my cat was hacking white foam a few days before he died. He was also coughing. He had cancer I think.
>>
>>3030162
>How did you go about force-feeding? A syringe and kinda squirt it in her mouth?
That's right.
>>
New thread

>>3032569
>>
File: 1557727380026.png (10 KB, 400x400)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>3021681
that's a doggo. this is a kot

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.