[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: GalaxiellToourtkJKF.jpg (906 KB, 3000x1993)
906 KB
906 KB JPG
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Before asking questions in this thread, do a bit of searching online to see if it has been answered already.
Make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
>https://modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Articles and Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
>https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
>http://www.scotcat.com/
>https://www.loaches.com/species-index
>http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
>https://aquaticarts.com/
>https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/
>https://www.aquariumplants.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Check on ebay or aquabid.

Old thread: >>3010515
>>
First for betta yeeting
>>
>>3019368
>>3018830
>Hawaii anons
Neat. How'd you guys handle the false missle scare?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0posHfQOWU

can i pet my arowana i want to pet and hold and love my arowana
>>
>>3019404
I was actually in Japan for that. I just read about it on the internet. When I did get back to Hawaii and had cell data, my phone blew up with texts.
>>
>>3019408
damn they don't like it at all
>>
>>3019404
They fucked their sister
>>
>>3019415
A lot of people admire arowanas for being like "dogs" but fish. Not sure if they enjoy it but they're famous for being one of the few fish that are petable.
>>
fishes are gay
>>
>tiger barbs
>clown loaches
why do they have the same coloration?
>>
>>3018563
I mean I've only had a shrimp tank before that one.
But yes, I'm transferring my current (wild color) shrimp to the puffer tank, so I can breed a pretty single color in the smaller shrimp tank.
Either they don't fuck with them, and I got cute shrimp with my cute fish, or they consider it live food, and my cute fish have something extra to have fun with.
>>
>>3018570
That is a dumb-looking fish
>>
>>3019418
>>
>>3019433
they look like totally different
are you racist or something?
>>
File: 1555696812716 (1).jpg (113 KB, 536x254)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
I just got a 2.5 gallon bowlfrom a craft store. I'm gonna fill it with some Java fern, duckweed for the top, a small sponge filter in the middle, and maybe a bumblebee goby or endlers.

Anyone know of a tiny aquarium heater that keeps the temp at 78 like the bigger heaters?
>>
Why bichir hasn't even eaten anything yet the faggot, how else an I meant to holocaust my tank
>>
>>3019529
Is it still a baby?
>>
It's four to five inch long, so I guess it's a juvenile?
>>
>>3019544
Thas a baby.

Mofo gonna get a good foot or more probably
>>
Any tips for controlling algae? I'm too ashamed to post a pic because it's getting bad, I constantly keep pulling it out, but it's getting annoying. It's a 5 gallon, and I have two neon tetras and two amano shrimp. Been in there for about 6 months, some live plants as well. pH is around 7.3, and the temperature is kept around 73-75 F. I don't keep it in front of a window, I do a 20% or so water change a week, I feed them twice a day, and I have a shitty 4.5w LED light. I also have a lamp with a
13w (6500k) CFL bulb because I was told CFL was better for plant growth, but I don't know the ideal distance from the top of the tank or anything because it's crazy bright, and it makes me nervous. The only things I could think of are I either keep the light on too long, or I feed them too much? The light is on probably about 13 hrs a day.
>>
>>3019548
are they not so predatory as babes? I just saw it eating a loach so it's living up to the name of voreworm
>>
>>3019559
Excessive Algae generally means too much light and/or nitrogen relative to other nutrients. You could try reducing light, adding other ferts, etc to see if you can find a balance, but oftentimes it's CO2 that's the bottleneck for regular plant growth, in which case the easiest way to take up the extra nitrogen and use up the light you give the tank is with emergent plants or floating plants. Or you could start injecting CO2.
>>
Anyone have experiences with snake heads, specifically golden cobras?
>>
>>3019559
Watch this video,

algae is a symptom of sparse/poor plant growth. Fertilise in smaller doses (if you arent already) lower your light, increase the 20% water change to 40%

https://youtu.be/KDdpUe4Olcg
>>
>>3019569
It might not eat things that it feels like is too big for it's mouth, just yet
>>
>>3019724
Damn, that sucks. But you got wicked cool wildlife & a lot of space. Belgium is pretty drab in that regard.
Those plants cost me 3~6 australian dollar each, so there's that.
>>
Once algea has grown on on the glass in my tank i gotta scrub it off, right? water changes is just to prevent it coming back?
>>
File: Clown-Loaches.jpg (124 KB, 1024x768)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>3019478
But why the same colors and banding?
>>
>>3020004
>>
>>3019788
>>3019592
thank you anons, i'll do a bit more research
>>
>>3019559
I would be dropping the feeding from twice daily to once every two days. Also the light being on is far too long, algae thrives on light and plants will grow in any reasonable levels of light. You had been sold bulbs that promote plant growth and algae will be the main one that will benefit this
>>
>>3020060
how long do you think the light should be on? also, once every two days is enough for them?
>>
File: 1511631707676.jpg (34 KB, 458x750)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
I travel fairly often for work but I'm home every weekend at the least. Would a planted tank of shrimp and snails work for me? Is there any sort of balance that I can create such that it can survive on only weekly maintenance?
Pic related 'cause snakes are my weekly maintenance pets currently.
>>
File: gommunity5.jpg (78 KB, 640x614)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>3018570
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-woman-hospitalized-after-exposure-to-toxic-coral-in-home-aquarium-1.5130782?fbclid=IwAR2BRnIqvoDgyDnFhSFvYn3eM6UIdvT-sKb9UuEICDN8Hj2_jZa6gxffOuI
>>
My jack dempsey got shit stuck in its mouth and it can't close it, I don't have any tweezers wtf do I do
>>
>>3020261
Go buy some tweezers?
>>
>>3020269
Shops don't open for another few hours, fuck, he should be able to swallow it in time right?
>>
>>3020067
Not that anon, but honestly it's recommended to feed just a tiny, tiny, pinch about two or three times a day.

If you can find a good balance of not feeding more than they can eat in a minute or two, and turn the lights down to about 8-10 hours a day, you'll probably have an easier time.

Having a gravel vac and/or good filtration that is getting flow to all parts of the aquarium helps too. I just have a basic HOB, but the flow gets the lighter gunk from the back corners picked up into the filter.

And depending on what type of algae you have, it's not all that bad to leave some. The green algae that lightly coats everything is kind of pleasent to look at if you scrape it from the sides and wherever you don't want it. And it's pretty alright for the water chemistry.

What type of fish you have anon? Some of them go to town on it. Both mollies and guppies have always helped keep my green algae in check for me. Or things like a couple amano shrimp are helpful too.

Plecos usually are not recommended as they eventually become more of a meat eater and start adding to the problem.
>>
>>3020190
Weekly maintenance is perfectly fine. I would recommend at least ten gallons though, and not tooany snails as they can ramp up the waste.

But yeah, on bigger tanks, some people do water changes once or twice a month, though of course, doing water changes more often is healthier on the tank overall.
>>
File: test.webm (1.39 MB, 412x800)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB WEBM
>>3020375
I usually did a pretty small pinch when I woke up, and when I got home from work (8 hr difference). I'm not an expert on algae, but it kinda looked mossy? It wasn't really just covering everything, but it'd kinda ball up like moss, but it also seems to tangle inbetween the plants. I have a fair amount of dwarf hairgrass and it's such a pain in the ass trying to pull out algae without just ripping the grass out.

I did some more cleaning today, and I think most of it is just on the glass that's making it look so bad. I have one of those magnet scrubbers, but it doesn't do shit. Should I get a razor or something to scrape it? It's glass, so I don't think it should be an issue.

Also, i have two neon tetras in it, as well as two amano shrimp. Is this too much for a 5 gallon? I went to a local shop, and the guy said it was fine, but I'm curious of other opinions as well. I actually had a snail too but I was irresponsible and didn't have a lid and it got out and died
>>
King of Diy made another video about feeding his fish
>>
Okay so my jack dempsey isn't locked jawed anymore it seems like he got it furthwe down his throat,l
His kinda lightly gasping and left gill is kinda protruding, do I take this cunt to the vet or what?!!
>>
>>3020376
Cool, thanks for the advice. Is knowing when to throw a li'l extra food in there pretty much a matter of experience?
>>
>>3020462
Get a pair of tooth picks and try to grab it out. Cover and hold him with a wet towel so he doesn't try to struggle. Spray his gills with water every minute or so. If he's bleeding, put some aquarium/epsom (not marine) salt in the water to prevent infection and speed up recovery.
>>
>>3020431
Eh? I mean a 5 gallon is a bit harder to keep clean, but I've kept 6 neons and a betta in one along with some ghost shrimp. Granted, I was doing a 50% water change twice a week. I wouldn't recommend it, and I eventually put them all in a ten gallon.

My mistake came when I put way too much gravel in the ten gallon and only used a sponge filter. I was vacuuming that bitch almost every day and still not getting all the crap out of the gravel.

Not sure what kind of substrate you have, but if it isn't dirt, I would recommend keeping just enough to cover the bottom.

Seachem prime is also pretty good for helping keep things stable, otherwise just do more water changes, lower the light schedule, maybe consider a ten gallon? A whole kit with lights at Walmart is like 20 bucks.

As for scraping it off the glass, I just used a cleaned rough pad or my hands. I don't like razors unless I'm scraping silicone off.
>>3020477
A little less is always better than a little more, but if you are only going to keep shrimp and snails, some botanicals and timer on lights should be enough to feed them most of the week. They'll graze 90% of the time, and then you can feed a little meat with some calcium when you are home.
>>
Where are the best places to capture fish for my aquarium? I don't want any of that store bought disease ridden puppy mill type shit. I want strong natural born fish.
>>
File: retard.png (8 KB, 234x216)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>3020492
Wild Fish are just as likely to carry diseases.
>>
>>3020492
Outside. Go to a local lake or stream and collect whatever. If you're in America you can catch darters, sunfish, minnows, shiners, madtoms, and more. These are all very cool to keep.

And don't listen to the retarded faggot frogposter. If the wild fish had a disease it wouldn't be alive in the wild.
>>
File: JANINO.jpg (8 KB, 250x250)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>3020511
Most bacterial/viral/parastic infections are supressed by the fishes immune system. A wild fish is going to carry a variety of pathogens just like a farmed fish, although they are likely to be different, but thats more an effect of geography and water supply than cultured vs wild.
>>
File: 1551762325255.jpg (73 KB, 640x480)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>3020490
Appreciate it, man, I'll be sure to post pics when the bowl is up and running. Walstad PDFs here I come.
>>
>>3020483
It's in too deep, and I've already taken him out of the water twice today, fuck man would pushing it deeper be a retarded idea? I'm fucking desperate
>>
>>3020626
Alright so he's swimming around now instead of hiding in his neet cave and he's gills not protruding anymore, just gasping alot. I think he's doing better I hope
>>
>tfw your ugly fish dies and now you can buy a new better fish
>>
I just wanted to share my tank
>>
>>3020836
Me with bettas
>>
>>3020863
Thas nice anon
>>
>>3020836
I gave my fish away to a co-worker. He takes pics every once in a while, and he talks about them a lot, so that's kinda cool.
>>
Best catfish that gets along with cichlids?
>>
>>3019408
You are gonna ruin it's slime coat.
>>
>>3019491
Sounds cool.
Idk about the heater, maybe Aquatop 15?
>>
>>3020985
What type of cichlids? South American cichlids are good with literally any catfish, but African cichlids do best with synodontis species (and mormyrids, though they aren't catfish).
>>
>>3021018
Don't forget to stab a pen through your balls so you'll never have offspring, though a woman would never even glance at you without feeling negative emotions. Faggot.
>>
>>3021020
im a sperm donor
have fun fucking your gf :)
while im having more offspring than genghis khan
>>
>>3021003
I'll look into it.

I might see if they have a five gallon bowl so I can get a betta, or what I've been wanting to try for a long time-building a little fish bridge. I might just get another bowl and do that, then get some Asian stone catfish and one nice betta. Maybe some cherry shrimp or chili rasbora if the betta won't eat them.
>>
>>3021110
Good thing they take pictures of sperm donors to let the mothers know what their kid will look like.
>>
Man, changing over to just an airstone was a bad idea.

1-It got clogged and stopped producing enough bubbles to get the water moving
2-I got busy at work and didn't gravel vac enough so I ended up with some nasty spots that made my kuhlies sick
3-fuckin thing get getting uncovered and looked hideous.

After doing a little research, I found that the kuhlies don't mind a little flow, so I went ahead and got a HOB and a bottle of prime. Through all the ceramic media that was laying near the airstone into it, and cut a sponge to fit. I kept the original filter piece with the charcoal just in case I have to use meds at some point.

Tanks been running smoother and there are more kuhlies in there than I thought I had. Bout 4 I think.

Going to go ahead and get two more once I pay rent again, and thinking about some of those bumblebee gobies cause they look cute as fuck.
>>
>>3021194
Slowly though, I don't want to add too many fish at once.
>>
File: 4xQUPFr.jpg (32 KB, 574x593)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
WHY DOES MY FUCKING FAGGOT FISH ALWAYS SLAP WATER INTO MY FACE EVERYTIME I FEED HIM??? I FUCKING SAVED YOUR FUCKING LIFE FROM BEING TURTLE CHUM AND THIS IS MY FUCKING REPAYMENT??? EVERY FUCKING TIME I FEED THIS NIGGER FUCK HE FUCKING SLAPS WATER EVERYWHERE STRAIGHT INTO MY FUCKING FACE YEAH I HEAR THAT NIGGER RIGHT NOW BLOWING BUBBLES FUCK
I'M SO FUCKING PISSED
>>
>>3021213
He's just excited anon. Probably gets it from you.
>>
>>3018570
Yo, looking for some advice on getting a new tank. Does anyone know anything about some good all in one tank setups?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nuvo-aquarium-fusion-micro-30l-tank.html?sku=208659&gclid=CjwKCAjwiN_mBRBBEiwA9N-e_tpa35iGPEVkec-IO5CkWAjuAm6G2eIZoxuoVt7JXMXpECf8x80GKBoC3SIQAvD_BwE

Looks like about the kind of thing I'm looking for. This version gives me about 20 gallons of "living space" for the fish on the front, as well as a self contained filter and heater compartment. It's a bit on the pricy side but I like the clean compact look. I want to keep a gourami in here with some tetras probably.
>>
Could I put two female (larger) Amano shrimp in a 5g tank?
>>
File: 1557551157821.png (88 KB, 568x548)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>3021194
You didn't fall for Biofloc Anons tricks did you?
>>
File: THICCC.jpg (2.29 MB, 4048x3036)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
>>
1.find a suitable tank
2.research fish
3.buy equipment for tank(fisheries,pet shops,etc.)
4.train fish
5.fish are in good condition for first 6 months
6.training fishes are in good condition until 6-10 months
7.training fishes are in good condition for 1-4 months
8.fish will be in good condition until 2-5 years ago when they will not be able to reach their optimal level
Fish are in good condition for 6-8 months before they become bad like this: 5 years old fish: normal condition (no parasites,no filtration,no parasites,no filtration)
6 years old fish: mild parasites,sebaceous filtration (no sebaceous filtration) 8 years old fish: a few parasites,sebaceous filtration (no sebaceous filtration)9 years old fish: severe piscivore filtration 10 years old fish: severe sebaceous filtration10 years old fish: severe fillet

fish are in poor condition
>>
1.find a suitable tank
2.research fish
3.fuck a granny
4.fuck another granny
3.find the source of the fish and use it to make fertilizer for plant growth.
4.do the same for this tank.
That's the gist of it. I've only been making it for 2 days as I figured most of my time has been spent trying to put food on the plants and gathering some wood for firewood and making it look like something cool to build instead of just a boring wooden house. Now I know my friends may be surprised and it may sound boring but I am trying to make another tank more fun to build with. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did writing it.
>>
>>3021458
Is this a schizo post?
>>
File: fry.jpg (1.19 MB, 4048x3036)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>3018570
>Biofloc tanks are crawling with rotifers, and ciliates.
>Fry are growing like crazy
>>
File: 20190512_194821.jpg (3.09 MB, 4032x3024)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
Look at this chonker
>>
>>3021566
What a cute
>>
File: chad lesser primate.webm (1.62 MB, 450x360)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB WEBM
Hey /an/, I'm going to be moving to college in the fall and I want to start an aquarium. I can have up to 20 gallons. I've been keeping bettas for a good 10 years, but I want something new and a ton of the sites I've looked at are a bunch of fags saying I need like 50 gallons for an one inch fish because it's "a strong and active fish". Any cool ideas?
>>
>>3021017
Central, Jack dempsey and firemouth. I just don't want the catties to get eaten
>>
>>3021213
Is it a nigger convict or what
>>
>>3021588
German blue rams are cool, chocolate goramis too
>>
>>3021588
A bunch of pea puffers
>>
>>3021588
1 (one) koi fish
>>
Anyone ever keep betta splendens/imbellis hybrids? I was curious about breeding them, the viability of the fry and the temperments of the adults
>>
>>3021588
Any of the small or dwarf breeds of sunfish.
>>
I need help with stocking ideas for my 29 gallon tank. Its planted with anubias, amazon sword, groups of cabomba, bacopa, and another stem plant i can't remember the name of. It is fully cycled and currently has one ghost shrimp out of my 10 gallon and one black mystery snail, also out of my ten gallon. I was thinking a few kuhlis and honey gourami but I'm open to suggestion.
>>
>>3021923
Cryptocoryne are nice plants for the font.
For the fish you could consider a bigger kind of gourami
And for the schooling fish I particularly like boraras brigittae but you could look into danios as well
>>
File: 15577579342441532747036.jpg (3.33 MB, 4160x2336)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
>>3021949
Oh my fuck the boraras are beautiful I'm fairly new to the hobby so i wasn't sure about what size gourami i could stock could you recommend specific types of gourami? Pic is my ten gallon
>>
File: foto_no_exif (23)a.jpg (1.2 MB, 1500x1000)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
from an exhibition
>>
File: preview_gourami_nain.jpg (51 KB, 470x292)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>3021964
Your ten gallon looks nice but I believe your school of fish should have a bigger tank (sorry for the broken English, I'm a French fag)
I never owned any myself but Trichogaster Lalius looks good (especially the male) but I heard they were a little more aggressive than honey gourami
>>
>>3021964
You could also consider croaking gourami. Never owned any either but I heard they made noises you could hear from outside the tank.
I believe they are probably about as agressive as honey gourami
>>
>>3022014
Thanks for the recommendations and I'm just keeping the 5 neon tetras in the 10 gallon until im finished scaping my 30 gallon
>>
>>3022054
OK, if so you could add at least one tetra once their 30 gallons is ready, they will be more comfortable
>>
Minimum tank size for discus? And how many in a group?
>>
>>3022072
I believe you need at least 6 discus for at least 200 gallons but I'm not an expert
>>
>>3022014
Also i was considering lalius but I've heard alot about dwarf gourami disease and it had me worried
>>
>>3022089
Well, technically honey gourami are dwarves as well aren't they?
Never hear about the disease
>>
>>3022123
Dwarf gourami disease causes the gourami to lose body mass, get reddish spots on its skin, exhibit short spurts of hyperactivity, swimming in circles all around the aquarium/fish tank, loss of appetite and finally death. It seems to only affect Trichogaster Lalius. The honey gourami is trichogaster chuna, though some colors of dwarf gourami are marketed as honey gourami
>>
>>3022080
What the fugg some faggot site told me one discus per 20 gallon with quality water
>>
>>3022184
Actually, practical fish keeping says 1 per 20 Litre of water. That's definitely not right.
>>
>>3021615
Just go to a local pet store and find what you like. Most catfish in the hobby are south american so they'd go good with those cichlids.
>>3021588
African clawed frog(s). They'll be your best friends for 20+ years if you take good care, and they sing songs at night.
>>
Some sort of bacterial infection that’s killing all my varieties of danio, going to buy melafix but does anyone have ID
>>
>>3022307
Hard to see in pic, can you describe the symptoms in detail?
And on a side note, how do you keep your water from pouring out, Aussiebro?
>>
Why are cichlid tanks so popular?
>>
>>3022444
Because cichlids have a lot of personality, t. the multies guy
They are also a very widespread family with a variety of adaptations whuch let them live in various kinds of tanks
>>
what's your opinion on discus? I think they're retarded even for fish standards, just looks pretty
>>
>>3022307
What makes you think its a bacterial infection?

Kind of difficult to tell what you are talking about from the pic.
>>
File: F.png (895 KB, 1866x1327)
895 KB
895 KB PNG
>>3022307
unfortunately the last effected individual has died when I left to get remedy

>>3022341
I have been able to make an image from it's corpse, I am actually australian if that gives any relevance

>>3022503
because of the circumstances, there's no fungi growing in the tank and no new stock has been added for 3 years/substrate has not been disturbed making me think that it's from a change in food. (retarded I know) but someone had looked after them on the weekend so I think they have tried to feed them bloodworms, let the bloodworms defrost for too long or has overfed them leading to a surge in bacteria

sorry for the late reply
>>
File: IMG_20190513_205230244.jpg (3.29 MB, 2961x1710)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
I completely messed my scape up yesterday when I was digging around in the sand to clean it. I didn't bother to put it back because I'm going to move the tank soon, but I came home from work today, and after the dust has settled, I kinda like it.

I don't know, what do you guys think?
>>
>>3022639
Why is your tank so low on plants and fish?
>>
>>3022184
>I can keep 3 Discus in my 60l tank
They literally won't fit in it when they grow up lol
>>
Would it be fine to use a plastic pill capsule full of holes with osmocote+ as a root tab? In case I want to move my plant later and not have to dig around for the pellets.
>>
File: hurrdurrgrr.webm (2.49 MB, 480x270)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB WEBM
Gobies are wonderful retard puppies.
>>
File: foto_no_exif (24)a.jpg (1.12 MB, 1500x1000)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>
>>3022754
An I misreading this or retarded
>>
>>3022827
The text says that 120l should be the minimum, not that you could cram a single discus in a 20l tank and go upwards from there with another discus per 20l.

Honestly that standard still seems too low, 6 discus in a 120l would be cramped as fuck. The rule of thumb I know of is more along the lines of 50l per fish with a 350l tank as the minimum for a group of adults.
>>
>>3022639
That's horrendous
>>
>>3022754
He said gallons
>>
>>3022859
fuck, I meant to reply to >>3022194
>>
>>3019408
I love all my fish but I just can't understand why some people insist on petting/playing with their fish. Its a fish goddamnit; you wanna pet something, get a dog. Seeing them being happy in their tank makes me happy. Fish arent meant to be petted.
>>
File: H.jpg (266 KB, 986x653)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
Can I keep guppies with shrimp? What fish can I keep with them?
>>
File: 20190502_043309.jpg (1.9 MB, 4032x2645)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>3022879
I let my betta bite me 'cos it makes him feel like a big man.
>>
>>3022754
How many litre do they need anyway?
>>
>>3022884
How much did the wild type cost you?
>>
File: 20190502_042710.jpg (2.15 MB, 3650x3017)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>3022913
it was pricey. $120 the pair. They're fuckin' lovely though. There are cheaper wild species out there (I've found since) which I'll be trying next. Maybe some rubras. Or fuckit maybe ill try the Albimarginatas for an arm and a leg.
>>
>>3022882
All fish will eat baby shrimp if they can find them. With lots of moss and hiding places it'll probably work with not too agressive fish.
>>
>>3022882
Depends on what shrimp you got.
My guppies get along with RCS just fine, and the RCS breed a lot, it's a planted tank though.

My dad got some large shrimp from local river or something and it ate some of the guppies so he tossed the shrimp over the balcony.
>>
>>3022933
That's nuts man I can get these cheaper than normal betters where I'm from. The whildtypes have really a more friendly behavior towards tank mates, even other bettas.
>>
>>3022944
Also what species is yours?
>>
File: 20190502_042950.jpg (3.66 MB, 4032x3024)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
>>3022944
Oh I agree on the price but I couldn't be happier. Super intelligent and absolutely lovely temperaments (cept towards me). Another thought was trying a community tank with multiple species.
>>
>>3022954
yeah I got a pair in seperate tanks at the moment cause I'm scared of trying to birth drys at the moment, it's a shame that it costs so much for you. They're native to where I'm from so they're actually much much cheaper(around 2 aud) than the betta splendid. It's a shame that they're overlooked by the the splendids
>>
File: Slipknot.webm (1.75 MB, 640x360)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB WEBM
>>3022952
Mahachai. They can't be more than 5 months old but im hoping they get their incest on soon. Kinda my interest in the Albimarginata. Love to get some mouthbrooding breeding going on. So far I've only had luck with panda corys, and they're spitting out babies constantly (same flex 15 as the bettas)
>>
File: 1557843387165.jpg (128 KB, 720x1440)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>3022960
That's really nice, I'm thinking of getting these myself
>>
>>3022960
I'd love to be able to export these wild types for enthusiasts so you wouldn't need an arm and a leg tbb
>>
>>3022960
What plants do you have in his tank? And what do you do you raise the frys and sell them?
>>
File: 20190515_004424 (2).png (2.48 MB, 1280x960)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB PNG
>>3022969
The mayaca (i think?) in the back is insanely dense so I reckon that's where they lay and the babies hang out til they're ready to eat with the rest. As for getting them to breed, I use cold water with a water change to drop the temp down a little and slowly bring it back up and lots of frozen or freezedried bloodworms. I usually see 2 new babies at a time and I'm up to about 8 now. Theres usually a bucketload of duckweed on top and a couple of leaves but I just thinned it out.
>>
File: line_1557824026951.jpg (502 KB, 720x1280)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
>>3022992
Are you planning on keeping the babies?
Sorry about this abysmal state of this but man I honestly don't know what to do with these frys
>>
File: dorable.webm (2.91 MB, 1280x720)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB WEBM
>>3023001
OOooh, I thought you meant the corys. I don't want to count my bettas before they hatch but it seems I could probably make some money off them if I could raise up some chillens. Worst comes to worst hell yeah I'll get em a bigger tank.
>>
>>3023006
I honestly don't know what to do about these guys, especially the males. I would need like fifty gallon to hold em. I contemplate releasing them because they're native here but that doesn't feel right.
>>
File: _DSC0039.jpg (138 KB, 1500x1000)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Shramp
>>
File: _DSC0040.jpg (195 KB, 1500x1000)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>
File: blink.webm (2.79 MB, 240x136)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB WEBM
>>3023008
An outdoor tub would be ideal then! Natural light and plenty of cover and they'll breed until capacity.
>>
File: IMG_25620514_224607.jpg (3.81 MB, 4608x3456)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB JPG
>>3023026
Cool idea but thst sounds really temporary though, imagine a tub full of incest babies
I would love give a good home when they're grown
>>
>>3023029
So long as you don't coddle the defectives, simple animals like fish aren't really harmed by incest.
>>
>>3023036
So just let the defective ones get eaten by the parents? Or euthanasia
>>
File: bouyant rudolph.webm (2.72 MB, 480x270)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB WEBM
>>3023039
Survival of the sexiest sister.
>>
>>3023039
The defectives might get predated or fail to breed or fail to forage for enough food. It doesn't really matter what kills them, just that conditions don't allow the defectives to pass their genes on with equal success.
>>
File: IMG_25620514_230854.jpg (1.89 MB, 2291x3360)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
>>3022960
wild type hour bois
>>
File: zoom zoom zoom.webm (2.15 MB, 640x360)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB WEBM
>>3023046
Fuckin rad! Theres some gorgeous black tones out there, I'm particularly taken with Betta Persephone for that reason.
Have you got the pair or more?
>>
>>3023051
Are those fluorescent blue things rainbow fishes?

i really wish I could tell you man but the local fish market here don't really use scientific or English names, I just know that these two are from the 'isaan' area.
The males like 3 times the size of the female and is really timid.

I got this pair and about ten or so frys that shares the same colors as the parents.

I've placed some order for more wild type bettas though so I'll post them occasionally if you are interested.
>>
File: borkborkbork.jpg (1.44 MB, 4032x3024)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>3023056
Absolutely man. Here to see new and wonderful fishies.
>>
>>3023063
I'm also experimenting with a galaxy male x malachai female
I wonder what beauty will come out of that pair.
>>
Beginner here. I want to get started with neon tetras and made me some shrimp. Every guide I have seen online suggests that a 5 gallon tank would be too small for this. I have always wanted to get into aquariums so where is best to begin?
>>
File: IMG_25620514_235238.jpg (2.49 MB, 4608x3456)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
>>3023063
here's a closer look for the female, I think I've been overfeeding her

>>3023087
get a scarlet badis instead, or Dario Dario, they're like the size of neons
>>
File: IMG_25620514_235246.jpg (3.59 MB, 4608x3456)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
>>3023093
And big cunt who's like 3 and a half inch
>>
>>3023087
Smaller tanks are trickier than big tanks because the water parameters will be less stable with less water. But otherwise I don't think that there's any issue with what you want to do.
>>
>>3023087
I'd start with a 10ish gallon and some shrimp.
Fish need more space (width, not height) to properly swim, so if you want to start with fish I'd get a tank as wide as you can afford/have space for. Bigger tanks are more stable.
Add hardware, hardscape, plants & water, and let it run for a few weeks, drop in some food every few days to get the nitrogen cycle going (read the OP).
Don't add fish until your values are ok (3~6 weeks usually). Use drip tests, not strips. Research the fish you want, what their tankmates can/can not be, diet, water parameters etc.
>>
>>3022709
Growing out the Java fern. Keep meaning to get more fish, but bills keep popping up instead. Gonna get two more kuhlies and probably another guppy after rent.
>>3022843
No bully ;_;

I was thinking about taking the root wood pieces out when I move it and just having stones as the main scape. I like the wood, but they are a pain when I try to gravel vac.
>>
How long does it take guppy to become colorful(for selling) I just wanna get rid of these boring ass fish already.
>>
>>3023087
Not to be on the size-up bandwagon but my usual suggestion for a beginner tank is a 20G long if you want schooling/shoaling fish or community fish. If you want to go real small without busting your ass trying to keep parameters stable for a delicate fish, then a 5G with a betta is about as low as I'd go. Bettas, at least the quality kind, not the on-its-deathbed from Petco/smart kind, are fairly hardy and will survive minor swings.

>>3023093
scarlet badis/dario dario is a good suggestion. I've always liked those guys. But be aware that they are a bit more uncommon.

I particularly dislike 10G because the standard dimensions and sheer volume make for an awkward tank. It's so small that it really limits your options while still being big/heavy enough to not be a great desktop aquarium (filled, it will weigh more than 100 lbs).

>>3023119
>some shrimp
I would use caution with shrimp as they are far more delicate than a LOT of common fish and you're plopping down significantly more cash for them than most of the other suggestions here, depending on variety and quality.
>>
maybe some rams or sparkling gourami?
>>
>>3023160
Start with ghost shrimp they're practically free
>>
>>3022639
looks like a fucking graveyard, anon
>>
>>3022639
What size tank is this I fucking love it, I'd put glass catfish and ghost shrimp or maybe a cellophane betta. Tank looks beautifully spooky
>>
>>3023380
>>3023393
Maybe I should try to amp up the spook factor then.

It's 18/19 gallons, and long and tall.

I think glass cats would be too big for it honestly.
>>
>>3023393
Also, I've thought about ghost shrimp, but my experience with them is they eat the fish at night when/if they are laying down to sleep. Fuck that.

Maybe some white shrimp? And any ideas on keeping maintenance somewhat low but still keeping it spook? I could maybe tie the roots up with fishing line instead of having them on the ground. Or maybe put them in one corner and kind of crawling out like a grave.
>>
Damnit guys now I'm thinking about moving the guppies out and getting creepy fish.
>>
I recently was gifted an 8 gallon cube tank, it came with a stock hang on filter but it's crummy and small and I'd like to get something that is very silent... I plan on planting heavily and get back to fish keeping as I had some zebras growing up and would like anice desk scape to look at. I plan on using Amazonia soil and I've read it's very amonia heavy so I was thinking of getting a better filter.
There's a brand new EHEIM classic 250 for sale on a second hand site in my city for 25€... Anyone can give me a honest rating on how silent those things are and if it's a solid deal? I was thinking there should be no issue with it being overkill and thought that it would help me control algae even if I decide to hold on the livestock for a while while the plants settle and I cycle everything seeing as i don't plan on using any CO2...
Can't wait to post results over here!
>>
>>3023403
The roots arranged by pushing them into the corners of the substrate maybe add some brown and red plants like cryptocoryne i have black diamond blasting media capping potting soil in my tanks so i dont usually vac them just spot clean and let my shrimp and snails do most of the clean up. But ivory mystery snails or tylomelania snails would probably look great in that tank and if you're considering another center piece fish that has big spook factor a black ranchu goldfish looks like a floating faceless abomination
>>
>>3023508
Eh, I'm hesitant on goldfish because the waste and colder water they need. I was thinking maybe if I could find like a dark dwarf gourami or some dark guppies.
>>
>>3023545
I got it.

I'll get a small school of black skirt tetra, and a Molly as the centerpiece fish. I'll keep my eye out for a spooky looking one.

And of course, more Kuhlies. Love those wiggly little bastards. Maybe three or four Asian stone catfish if the pet store can get any in.
>>
>>3023559
Sounds good you'll have to post finished tank. Also kuhlies are good noodles
>>
On monday i wrote an application for a job at my local fishstore.
If they don't need an industrial engineer i wasted a lot of time at university.
>>
>>3023491
I don't know if you'll find a review here, but probably YouTube is a better bet since you'll be able to actually hear it.
>>
>>3024040
I want to get a job at a fish store or somewhere similar. I hate my job so fucking much, and it's hard to deal with because I'm sick so often.

Seriously thinking about asking my doctor if it's worth it because I know the stress is hurting my body. Would love it if I could just do a 3 or 4 day work week and try and make some money on the side doing home hobbies.
>>
>>3024065
Sadly I never realized how big that unit is, I would have to either modify my "cabinet", which I could do but would be a bit of a waste since I use the underlying drawers for storage or find a new place for the tank... I think I'll have to settle for an internal filter since I'm not comfortable with any other locations for the tank as it'd be too enclosed and not that structuraly sound. There's a Biopower unit for 30€ which seems like a better choice over a small pickup 60 that someone is selling for 5€ as that one is a bit too small (both eheim and almost new) ... Not sure if I'm overthinking the filter business, but I always felt like it was one of the most important parts.
>>
>>3024082
It is honestly. You could also diy one.
>>
>>3024092
I don't think I could get it any more compact than any product out there... I just wish those classic ones would work on their sides since the space I have is as tall as the canister's diameter.
>>
>>3024104
There's lots of filters you can make with diy.
>>
File: 20190515_111228.jpg (3.06 MB, 5312x2988)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
I need some input on how to stock this 5.5 gallon. Im 100% sure that I want Ghost shrimp (I can get 4 for $1) but not sure on the type of fish to put in here. Would 3 Clown killifish (1 male, 2 female) be a good choice?
>>
>>3024180
Kill fish sound good to me, but it's what you like my man.

There's also dwarf rasboras, Asian stonecatfish, bumblebee gobies, just to name a few.
>>
anyone with nerites wanna give me any tips on keeping them?
I'm planning on getting some tomorrow
>>
>>3024406
Theyre just snails
Make sure they have food and calcium
They may lay eggs but they will not hatch, this can be annoying since they stick hard and take a while to break down
>>
>>3019391
Just yeet a betta in it, bro
>>
>>3019559
>13 hours of light
>>
>>3020863
I really like it anon! Love the contrast of colors from plants and substrate
8.5/10
>>
File: younigga.jpg (30 KB, 400x299)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>3021131
>>
>>3024180
betta
yeet
>>
>>3024293
Thanks. I'll check those fishes out.

>>3024557
I'd like more than one fish.
>>
>>3024074
I, for my part, know that money won't make me happy in the long run. So i set myself a goal, everyday i do 1 thing to work towards what i think would make me happy and a part of that is a job that i love.
>>
>>3024602
Two betta
YEET
>>
File: 1555733994907.jpg (29 KB, 400x400)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>under dose PimaFix
>Still kills my fish
>>
Do you guys gently wake your fish up in the morning? Or do you just flip on the main tank lights?

I have a lamp with a soft light that I like to turn on for about 15 minutes ahead of time. Sometimes the guppies don't want to wake up and will stuff their heads behind the corner of the rocks and lay back down.
>>
>>3024602
You can have more than one if it's a female or a wildtype
>>
>>3025016
I open the blinds
>>
MY GOLDFISH HAVE WHITE SPOTS WHAT DO I DO???
I HOPE IT'S NOT ICH
I LIKE TO TOUCH THEM
MAYBE IT'S JUST ACNE FROM ME GRABBING THEM??? PLEASE DON'T BE ICH
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>3025069
Just get some ich treatment ready in case it is you drama queen.
>>
My Kuhli loach came out! Doh, they are so cute!
>>
File: newtanklmao.jpg (41 KB, 1152x648)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>60cm long x 30cm wide x 50cm tall, rounding up at around 90 liters.
Can I have some suggestions with stocking? The only fish that I really want in there is a Synodontis petricola, as for the other levels of the water column I got no idea.
>>
>>3025016
Timer. They wake up before it a little bit because of some natural light
>>
>>3025016
I kinda just wake my betta up, he's in a part of a room that is lit fairly bright at night when I'm up at like 2-3 in the morning, so I straight up cover most of the tank like you would cover a bird cage for the night. I then uncover it in the morning with the lights off and then turn them on when I'm ready to feed him.
>>
>>3025069
it's getting warmer, goldfish get white spots on their gills, it's okay they want fugg
>>
>>3025273
oh okay. It's on their fins though, not their body or gills. One of them completely lost their white spots since I wrote it so maybe it's just some weird hormonal thing. I'm still going to go get medicine later today.
>>
File: IMG_20190516_215044.jpg (2.16 MB, 4224x4224)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>
File: 155805995184159932540.jpg (2.53 MB, 4160x2336)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
>>3024602
My betta splendens is very tolerant of his tankmates. Check how the betta responds to fish in the containers around it. As long as the tankmates aren't another anabantoid or look similar to bettas and the betta has a mild temperament you should be fine
>>
>>3025516
Living in louisiana i have a hard time seeing the appeal of keeping crawfish. Today we boiled 70 pounds of them.
>>
>>3025048
I was aware that I could keep a sorority but Ive read female bettas can be still be aggressive. I wasnt aware of the wild bettas, though.
>>3025537
If I decide to go with bettas, what kind of response am I looking for?
>>
>>3025642
They've been bred for aggression for hundreds of years man, you'd want a wild type if you want to keep multiple bettas or have tank mates without risking getting an aggressive one that'll kill everything one night when it's bored
>>
>>3025642
Never keep more than one male betta splendens or a male and a female its gonna be bad, but if the betta isnt flaring his fins at his neighbor and if you bring his container next to another bettas and he not trying to hit it through the cup its good indicators that hes pretty calm, but just be prepare to place him in a different tank if he still ends up being a fucker, bettas are a gamble in a community tank. You can however keep betta imbellis in pairs of males and females together
>>
File: 94YJtU4[1].jpg (269 KB, 678x960)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
>>3025642
Seriously go with a pair of the wilds. We talked lots about them further up in the thread. They're fucking gorgeous and have much more suitable temperaments for a 5 gallon tank sufficiently planted out. The other similar choice would be a few liquorice or sparkling gouramis. Seriously considering them for my next tank. Probably blackwater (or more wild bettas, I love em).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx48ZDU6LrE
>>
>>3025727
I'm going to the market tomorrow, I'll take some pictures of wild bettas for ya
>>
File: 1520069098236.jpg (40 KB, 444x470)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
What's everyone's experience with UV filters? I had a problem with brown algae, so I decided to get one, and now the brown algae is gone; contrary to some saying it would have no effect. Also, I know that bacteria can live in filter media, so is there any issue with injecting a dose of a bacteria supplement straight into the filter?
>>
What’s the largest fish I can fit in a 15 gallon tank? I’m not a fan of having a bunch of tiny fish, and would rather have just one larger fish. I can go up to 20 gallons but I would like to keep in in the 10-15 range.
>inb4 betta
You can do better than that, right?
>>
Discus
>>
File: Fancy boys.jpg (14 KB, 259x194)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
What do you guys think about breeding Celestial Pearl Danios?
I've got some mostly empty big planted tanks and I've got similar species in some of them. They seem pretty rare to come by but there's some breeding pairs for sales around here.
Not expecting to make bank but they're some cute boys.
>>
>>3026139
Betta is kind of the answer honestly. There's not a lot of solitary fish in that size range that aren't something that will primarily hide away like Loaches or Catfish. You could do a female Betta and then some fancy tetras with it, for a mix of big and small. I did that earlier this week and it's turning out pretty cute.
>>
>>3025642
A female was the most aggressive Betta I ever owned in 20+ years of fish keeping
>>
>>3026221
They're pretty imbred into specific trait categories at this point, easily possible to get a specifically aggressive one. I find as a general rule that Big Fin = Big Mad
>>
>>3026139
Gourami
>>
File: IMG_20190517_154641.jpg (3.82 MB, 3036x4048)
3.82 MB
3.82 MB JPG
Posting aquarium gore
>>
>>3026139
you know what to do
y e e t
>>
File: foto_no_exif (27)a.jpg (3.52 MB, 3000x2000)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
long boi
>>
>>3026216
What about a single red tailed shark? Cichlid?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>3026216
get a giant mystery snail lmao
>>
File: vase-2.jpg (303 KB, 900x1600)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
added some bio filter media, more dwarf hairgrass, some duckweed and a rock to my vase. Still don't use a filter or pump.

I do a 50% water change daily. I missed one and one of my little minnow died from the resulting ammonia spike. He was a fag anyway, i flushed him down the toilet.
>>
>>3026450
Would you like to live in a portapotty?
>>
>>3026511
Yes!
>>
>>3026511
I was supposed to be moving them to a 126L tank, but it hasn't been delivered yet. Should be with me by monday
>>
>>3026365
could one keep two betta males in there?
>>
>>3026562
Yes, it's long enough for them to establish territories. In fact, you could likely keep two male bettas in a 55 or 75 gallon as long as you have enough plants for them to break line of sight.
>>
>>3026450
big oof lol
>>
>>3026564
nice
>>
snale
>>
fysh
>>
>>3026717
>>3026719
good
>>
how are the starter kits from places like petsmart? or should I just go to a fish specialty store?
>>
>>3026806
I got a ten gal Marina starter kit on Amazon in 2017 and have a great experience with it.

Marina LED Aquarium Kit, 10 gallon amazon. com/dp/B0173I55JM
>>
>>3026810
I dont really trust tanks being shipped to me. too many ways to be broken.
>>
File: aq-190504193843.jpg (1.7 MB, 1280x1024)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>3026450
>Add Sugar
>Keep solids in suspension
>Disregard Autotroph Dominance
>Acquire nutritous Heterotrophic Bacteria and free Rotifers and Protozoans.
>>
>>3026831
That's pretty paranoid, especially considering that the post office and company you buy from is gonna reimburse/replace broken shit for you anyways if you live in a country with any consumer rights at all.
>>
>>3026831
It was very well packaged when I got it. Amazon replaces shit all the time unless you obviously are abusing their policies as a pattern.
>>
Also it came with everything I needed besides the fish and substrate and plants. I even got food, net, conditioner and bacteria.
>>
>>3019999
Use a razor blade.
>>
>>3025544
They are fun with their snibbedy snabbs :DDD
>>
File: IMG_25620518_140256.jpg (1.22 MB, 2075x2061)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Splendid are for brainless and making money off by breeding
Wildtypes are CUTE
>>
>>3021588
20 gallons is plenty to work with. what types of fish are you interested in? tropical? cichlids? do you want a community tank or species only?

when I was in college I had a gorgeous looking tetra community tank with rasboras and bleeding heart tetras. you could do a BIG school of chili rasboras which are small as fuck
>>
File: IMG_25620518_144621.jpg (1008 KB, 1355x2255)
1008 KB
1008 KB JPG
check out the color already poppin out on this boy/girl
>>
>>3022992
That's really nice man, what substrate do you use and do you dose co2?
>>
File: IMG_20190326_081054 (2).jpg (2.5 MB, 3008x3636)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
>>3026988
just some generic aquasoil, no co2, high light and an overstocked tank and a big filter. mostly just evap topup and occasional trimming, mostly no ferts either; usually just gives algae a foothold
>>
>>3026976
That's a good lookin Betta. Nice body proportions, and it looks strong.
>>
>>3026404
I thought that most species of both don't do well in isolation
>>
>>3026439
>Desk cube tank that only has humongous Golden Mystery Snails in it
>Entertaining as well watching them use their siphon that's ten times the length of their body
>Fall asleep on eachothers' backs
>Tiny cute little teeth

Unsarcastically a lovely pet
>>
Hey, has anyone here shipped any of their plants to a local place, or had plants shipped to them from a local place? Did you have to do overnight/next day shipping, or did it come within a reasonable time?

I wanted to grow some easy low light plants, and maybe breed some shrimp and small easy fish for a little extra hobby money, but I don't want potential buyers to get discouraged by a $40-50 shipping fee. I know I have never bought things online because of that, when I can throw $15 in my gas tank and drive two hours away if I really want something more special than what the pet shop has.
>>
File: 442432235.jpg (137 KB, 1280x720)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>3027118
>50 dollars to ship fucking plants
>>
>>3026832
am i save from creating some bacteria able to kill me?
or is this just asking for it?
>>
File: IMG_25620518_210156.jpg (2.67 MB, 3180x2929)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
>>3027050
The blue ones seems to be the strongest, shame I couldn't produce any reds
>>
>>3027203
You can't create bacteria that aren't in the tank already
The thing that anon's method achieves is it creates an environment in which different bacteria present in the water column thrive. They eat nitrogen and carbs present in the water column and turn them into blobs edible for fish
downside is the inside of the tank looks like you added milk
>>
>>3023026
How would I go about setting an outdoor tub anyway? Just buy a big Tupperwear container and that's it?
>>
>>3027313
Basically it. Chuck some sand mixed with soil in the bottom and plant a couple plants you find at your local stream or pond and that's it. no need for any significant filters as rain water and plants will do all the work for you. It's how i raise tadpoles.
>>
>>3027317
Like soil for aquatic plants or any soil?
>>
File: kiss me.webm (2.87 MB, 480x270)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB WEBM
we all float down here
>>
File: gommunity3.jpg (42 KB, 640x633)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>3018570
BETA BROS THIS CANT BE HAPPENING

THEY CANT JUST YEET BETAS INTO TINY PLASTIC WATER BOTTLES CAN THEY?

https://youtu.be/Q2kOFYcFTCE?t=472
>>
>>3027392
or so are we going to eat dogs now because they are doing it?
>>
>>3027175
That's what I'm saying.

I went to buy some Christmas moss online and it literally ONLY had an option for next day shipping which was like 44.99 or some shit.
>>
What would happen if you tried to cross breed wild type bettas?
>>
>>3027212
Oh my God those are gorgeous fish.

I almost got into breeding bettas recently and watched the live stream that Simply Betta had with another breeder to learn some tips.

I probably won't do it unless I get more space and resources, but goddamn. I fuckin love those fish.

Are you breeding for temperament at all? The reason I was considering it was because I wanted to get that more friendly temperment of the wild types and make it possible to keep two or three in a bigger tank like a 20 long or something. I've always wanted to keep two or three males and a sority of females in a big, long, tank, but I've never done it for fear of waking up to a blood bath.
>>
>>3027427
What do you mean? Like two different species of wild Betta?

I imagine it would either be hard to get them to breed, or easy and probably produce some neat mixes. But you would probably want to look at behavior of both species before doing it, and obviously keep body types and sizes in mind.
>>
>>3027433
I'm not breeding for temperament at the moment as a primary objective, no. But both their parents are real friendly as I like keeping them in the same tank with other fishes and inverts.

I posted the parents earlier in this thread

I'll post more of the babes tomorrow if you want
>>3027443
Splendids and wild types can be done easily but Wildtypes x Wildtypes I'm not so sure.
>>
>>3027433
Also if you can understand or read Thai it really helps ,i get my information from award winning breeders at a market
>>
>>3027392
So if this is where nice designer fish come from, where do the PetCo Fishmill bettas come from?
>>
>>3027488
>I posted the parents earlier in this thread
>I'll post more of the babes tomorrow if you want

Hell yes!

>Also if you can understand or read Thai it really helps ,i get my information from award winning breeders at a market

I'm sure I could translate stuff the Google and get the gist of it easily enough. I'll try to remember that, thanks for the tip.
>>
File: IMG_25620410_133402.jpg (3.68 MB, 3456x4608)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>3027500
YouTube golden betta (store)
https://youtu.be/pBhNg-3XTO8
>>3026951
This the mum
>>3023094
This big fucker is the stud
>>
>>3027392
>Tiny plastic water bottles

Did I miss something? Cause those were at least a gallon, and at the beginning like small ponds. I wouldn't say that's really all that bad, actually looked much better than the literal 10 ounce water bottle farms I've seen.
>>
What do you guys do with extra fish? What's a good way to sell?
>>
>>3027512
Having friends who like fish helps, if not goto lfs
>>
>>3027515
I want to sell to local hobbyists. Guess I could try Craigslist. I was a member of my local aq club but it was just an auction for boomers
>>
>>3027518
If I knew how to do it I would buy and sell shit in this general
>>
>>3027520
Ok let's do it.
wts endlers
Will ship
Midwest USA
>>
File: GG.png (10 KB, 252x200)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>3027543
>WTS Endler
>Will ship

Anon post a picture of your endlers.

I'm ready to laff.
>>
File: IMG_25620519_031004.jpg (1.57 MB, 1974x1860)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
Last Pic for the night
I hope this guy gets more of a gold glow
>>
>>3027551
You post your fish you fat negative nigger
>>
>>3027543
Do it
>>
File: slowhenk.png (90 KB, 255x244)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>3027654
I don't have any , and I am looking to purchase your Endlers.
>>
>>3027584
beauties :3
>>
>>3027584
Do you sell them?
>>
>>3027689
Was just about to ask the same thing, but shipping costs scare me.
>>
>>3026206
Has anyone here ever bred Galaxy Rasboras at all?
It seems as easy as any other danio/minnow but they sell for $20-30 each
>>
>>3027897
They are like 10 or 15 in my store I think
>>
>>3027689
Yea
>>
>>3027907
That's still a lot more than most minnows I guess
>>
So recently indoor temps are starting to hit 32~34C, my 20gal long shows temps hitting 30C.
Should I be worried? Should I drop ice into the tank? It's just guppies and RCS.
>>
File: IMG_20190402_163954.jpg (853 KB, 1647x1997)
853 KB
853 KB JPG
>>3027953
a fan blowing across the surface is probably a better option.
>>
Wts black molly's
Based in Hamburg, germany
>>
File: IMG_20190321_100032.jpg (3.95 MB, 4032x3024)
3.95 MB
3.95 MB JPG
>>3028205
Darwin Red Nose, Saw one in the tank the other day that musta been twice the size of yer average cherry. Very cool
>>
Boy I just don't know what I want
I'm thinking a 30gal, heavily planted no idea what plants may just use what I have already and get a few new ones
But beyond that I don't see jack that I'd want to stock it with
African butterfly fish looks interesting but I just don't know
>>
File: 20190430_080352.jpg (3.19 MB, 4032x3024)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB JPG
>>3028216
Im full fresh, heres the notes from the breeder.

>Other literature states that they require a brackish phase in their early life cycle stages, this was found not to be the case with larvae passing to young adults completely in freshwater.
>>
>>3028224
That's from aquagreen.com. Have you managed to breed them? Also do they deliver outside of Australia?
>>
File: IMG_20190411_194404.jpg (2.94 MB, 4032x3024)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
>>3028226
it is, he produces gorgeous stuff. honestly not positive. so far no breeding that ive seen but ive seen one or two berried so fingers crossed. no idea about export. i imagine its a nightmare.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 734x734)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Need advice /an/, I'm looking into the more wild types of Bettas for my 10 gallon. I really like Betta Dimidiata, Betta Smaragdina, and Betta Imbellis. I realize the most available species is Imbellis, though they are the species I'm least interested in.

>Are Dimidiata available anywhere?
>Is there any particular site that I should steer towards for ordering them?
>Can I keep a pair (male+female) of any of these in that size tank, or is that a myth?
>>
>>3028807
Just make the tank Turbid, so they can't see each otheir and can flee.

Yeet 20 betas in it.
>>
>>3028807
Wild bettas are less aggressive than their domestic cousins. Especially species other than splendids. You can probably keep a male and female together if you had enough plants and if the water had tannins in it. Just watch out and don't be surprised if it doesn't work out.
>>
File: plants-2-1068x570.jpg (172 KB, 1068x570)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
Anyone know how plants fair in a tank with undergravel filtration?
>>
>>3028924
Undergravel filtration is the most retarded way to fiter a tank.
Prove me wrong
>>
Recommended filtration for 20G Long full tempered glass rimless?
Preferably not canister, just can't be arsed with worrying about leaks, priming and pumps burning out from resuming after a loss of power.
>>
I got 4 glofish sharks, an algae eater and 5 neon tetras in a 15 gallon tank. Recently one of my glofish started swimming around the water surface. I've been doing the water cycle for the past few days and this is the first time I've seen him act like this. I'm not sure what's the cause of the lack of oxygen, but I want to solve it before my other fish start swimming around the surface
>>
>>3029078
You sound like a very new owner. Your fish behavior may not be a symptom of any problem, as fish behavior in the first week or two is usually not reflective of long term behavior. Some things that may or may not be related to your fish's behavior, but that you should start with now that you've gotten fish before cycling are:

Please tell me you are de-chlorinating your water.

Buy some Seachem prime if it isn't what you are already using, and dose daily. Seachem prime will isolate free floating ammonia in your tank, and hold it in a non-toxic form for 24 hours. Ammonia is toxic to fish as I presume you know, and your tank has likely not developed the bacteria required to handle it. You can keep the ammonia non-toxic for now while your tank cycles, as it can still be used by the bacteria in this non-toxic form.

Get a test kit that tests ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Do water changes daily, or every other day.
>>
>>3029078
My fish do that as soon as I approach the tank they all bunch up to the surface in a corner, they spread out as soon as I put some distance from the tank.

All they expect of me is food...
>>
File: 20190520_031213.jpg (2.95 MB, 4608x3456)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
>>3029081
>>3029084
I just fucking walked in on him stuck to the filter, he's still breathing but he keeps swimming weakly and upside down
>>
>>3029088
Is he eating? You might want to quarantine him, too many water changes might have stressed him out.

Probably won't survive though, sometimes shit just happens.
>>
>>3029088
All you can really do is keep watch and hope. As >>3029089 sometimes shit does just happen; lots of aquarium fish (especially glofish) have weak genetic lines, and pet store fish can have all sorts of diseases at the time you buy them.

>>3029089
Water changes are not stressful enough to fish to cause any serious problems, unless your dumping water in that is hugely different in temperature from what's in the tank.
>>
>>3029088
Oh, and pull him off the filter with a net obvs. If you have some foam or a prefilter you should install that now. Turning the light off may also help in reducing stress.
>>
File: 1540091286710.png (339 KB, 600x782)
339 KB
339 KB PNG
>>3029088
he just took his last breath. What the fuck, I've had him for 2 weeks and despite him being the most energetic out of the group he just fucking dies man.
>>
File: YAMAROOOOO.jpg (79 KB, 540x558)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>3029094
We all know that feel, it really does just sometimes happen with petstore fish. Pull him from the tank, and make sure to watch the others closely over the next couple days to make sure that it wasn't a problem with the tank itself.
>>
>>3029092
I'm guessing the water isn't treated to spec. PH swings or other shit left over in the water from the utilities can affect fish too, some fish are hardy enough to take a few hits, but too much and they still go belly up.
>>
>>3029094
I did a water test, everything seems to be in order, the cloud water has been dissipating, my air stone is pumping accordingly, guess he wasn't healthy enough to leave the petstore. I'll send him back tomorrow morning and might get a new red glofish if I'm confident enough. I don't want my Pac-Man ghost crew to have a missing member so early.
>>
They answered for my application at my local fish store !!!!!
I am invited for an interview !!!!
Holy shit guys i am so excited.
Here have this picture of a guppy.
>>
File: giant-pyrosome.jpg (35 KB, 1335x1000)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>3029104
Go get 'em anon!
>>
>>3029061
>enriching the substrate with nutrition for plants
>no actual filter cleaning needed
>gravel vacuum every other week
>"retarded"
ok then
>>
File: IMG_20190520_130149.jpg (1.94 MB, 4128x3096)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
Thinking of replacing the substrate on my 25g wcmm and odessa barb tank, rn I have white pool filter sand, got some substrate from a local dried out creek, not sure if I should mix the sand with it or just replace it all together
>>
File: IMG_20190520_130200.jpg (2.32 MB, 4128x3096)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
>>3029187
>>
are snails supposed to produce their body weight equivalent in shit every day?
>>
Alright, so I stayed up way too late workshopping this but I think I have the plan for my next tank.

I'm gonna go for a high contrast red and blue theme with
>1 dwarf gourami (not concrete but an option)
>8-ish cardinal tetras
>a handful of cherry and blue velvet (might just get one or the other

I'm a little worried about the shrimp but I figure in a heavily planted tank with enough hiding spots they'll do fine. Thoughts?
>>
File: 20190520_125531.jpg (430 KB, 955x717)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
Replaced my red glofish last night, the new one seems to have taken a liking to the rest of the group. Don't have time to do vacuuming, but I'll take care of it after I get off work
>>
>>3029436
Jesus Christ anon that is disgusting
Get some natural looking gravel, get rid of that hideous statue and insert actual plants, driftwood and / or rocks in its place
Also use actual plants not lucky bamboos, they may have been raised in toxic to fish fertilizers for all you know
>>
>>3029391
yes
>>
>>3029458
The statue stays.
>>
>>3029468
and so does /aq/'s disdain for your taste.
>>
>>3029462
I thought black racer nerites were supposed to be peaceful
why is it trying to bury my betta alive in its shit
>>
File: slate.jpg (47 KB, 370x370)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
How do you not pay through the nose for relatively common stone like slate? The prices online feel like rape and I can't seem to find a place that will sell less than a ton of it to me.
I want rock goddammit.
>>
>>3029473
What do they have against dragons anyway
>>
>>3029061
Defend your stance, retard
>>
>>3029548
go out and look for rocks?
>>
>>3029557
Not against dragons in particular, against anything that doesn't look natural
Shit's just hideous and unnatural
>>
>>3029561
I would but I'm like equidistant from the coast and the mountains so there's really not a lot of loose rock to speak of. The stones I have in my first tank are stolen river rocks from my college campus
>>
should i trim this or just... let it all die underneath lol
>>
>>3029623
Ooo it's so fluffy what is that?
>>
>>3029061
You're the biggest retard on this board.
Prove me wrong
>>
>>3029562
Not that guy, but sometimes it can look cool, like a little statue, overgrown with moss/algea, so it looks like remains from an old civilisation.
>>3029436
Is turbo-tacky though
>>
File: tank-arrive.jpg (2.83 MB, 4000x2250)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
>>3029623
based iwagumi bro.

How long did your carpet take to grow out? Are you using Co2 injection?
>>
>>3029067
I just put an Aqueon 70 on mine and enjoy it. Over filtration ftw.
>>
File: IMG_20190521_204422.jpg (1.42 MB, 2560x1440)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
awww yeah look at this bhad boi

all the redish stuff makes me wonder if it's fish safe
>>
>>3030401
10/10 rock
red stuff could just be iron
soak it in a bucket for a week and see if it does something to the water

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.