[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: betterop.jpg (90 KB, 1195x668)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
(now with an actual prehistoric dog, ignore the other thread)

Old Thread: >>2979908

Dog food review site - https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Puppy guide - http://drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=1449

Discord link goes to /an/cord's dog hub:
https://discord.gg/3xGbBG2

>What should I feed my dog?
>What breed of dog should I get?
>How do I train my dog?
>Rate my dog!
>Should I bring my dog to a vet?
>What breed is my dog?
>What toys should I get my dog?
>My dog is doing x, what do I do?
>Where do I get a dog?
>How do I take care of a puppy?
>How do I house train a dog?
>Can my dog eat this?
>Let me blog post!
And much more!
>>
First for dog parks are for degenerate suburbanites
>>
File: 1645_1555811011662.jpg (748 KB, 1536x2048)
748 KB
748 KB JPG
This is Hailey
We were thinking of naming her Jenny, but it was hailing on the way back when we got her and we thought Hailey matched her perfectly
>>
>>2999694

Das a chunky beagle, m8.

She also looks super comfy. Take good care of her, man. You'll miss her when she's gone.

I miss my Bagel every day.
>>
>>2999712
She has a barrel chest (from her dad) that makes her look huge but ya she's a couple pounds overweight. My parents feed her and they're weak. She'll be 10 this year I think.
>>
File: BIGGEST NIGGEST.jpg (24 KB, 298x613)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
This is Ramses. He is 8 months old and is built like a tank. He enjoys taking naps after long runs on the beach.
>>
>>2999747
I thought his leg was another dog at first
>>
When do labrador pups calm down
>>
Is flea medication safe for my dog? My vet recommended afoxolaner.
>>
>>2999815
>afoxolaner
>The US FDA reports[7] that drugs in this class (isoxazolines) can have adverse neurologic effects on some dogs, such as muscle tremors, ataxia, and seizures.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afoxolaner
>Mild gastrointestinal effects (vomiting, diarrhoea), pruritus, lethargy, anorexia, and neurological signs (convulsions, ataxia and muscle tremors) have been reported very rarely. Most reported adverse reactions were self-limiting and of short duration.
>https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/nexgard-epar-product-information_en.pdf

like all parasite meds that work it's a poison and can cause a reaction in your dog. if it does, stop giving it and go see the vet.
>>
File: mde_maggot.png (184 KB, 500x498)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
Here is a fun thought for all you nasty dogppl

I'm working to pass legislation that will require DNA sample and registration from all dog owners in city limits so that teams can go out into parks and trails and test fecal matter. When your dogs waste is found you will lose your dog and it will be destroyed. You will not be allowed to own another.

You all should of policed yourselves, now you lose your privileges
>>
>>2999815
I use K9 Advantix II on my dog and he's fine with it. No fleas, either. He mostly just hates putting it on every month.
>>
>>2999810
When you tire them out after 5 straight hours of fetch and another 2 hour walk.
>>
>>2999846
>K9 Advantix II
same. unlike afoxolaner it repells the bugs and kills them on contact - they do not have to feed on the dog first.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWMGWD8XkiU

Kinda relaxing to watch
>>
canis dirus would have mauled any of your nogdogs
>>
>>2999810
Never, have fun with new pup
>>
How can you tell if a dog is "confident"?
>>
>>2999971
does it walk like a Chad or a virgin?
>>
>>2999810
My buddy has 3 labs. One is 5, one is 7, and one is 9. The oldest one is the only one that's calm, but that's probably because she's going blind. They never calm down anon.
>>
>>
>>2998825
Favorite dog trick? I want my Pom mix to master beg/sit pretty, but he needs support to stay up. If I hold treats up he can hold position though, and he's eager to do it. Can I train his muscles?

What other tricks are good? He knows shake, circle, spin, crawl, dance, and basics.
>>
Are antlers safe or not, I seem to see a lot of arguments for and against them
My dog isn't a huge chewer but it seems like it'd be something for her to do during down-time
>>
File: 1545340499438.jpg (131 KB, 600x400)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
So, I got a job as a handler, and the job is way more involved than I expected. I'm eager to start learning, and supplement my training with other resources. Where do I start? What trainers and training methods should I look into?

I want to be more than a dude with a dog, I want to actually be a good handler. Thanks in advance for any advice.
>>
>>3000470
As always when giving your dog things to chew on, if you're properly supervising your pup, antlers should be fine. It's mostly a choking hazard if your dog is the type who tears off huge chunks. My dog is, so I give him nylabones instead, which he can't seem to decimate, though I know other people whose dogs just straight up destroy those too.
>>
I own a yapping box of a dog, hes so loud and annoying.

How can I train him so he can stop (or lower) this behavior without a shock collar?
>>
>>3000327
Apparently /dog/ doesn't teach their dogs any tricks
>>
>>3000721
/an/ is a really slow board, anon. It's also Easter Sunday still, so don't expect replies right away.
>>
>>3000664
Just praise him and give him treats when he's not barking and doing what you want. Are there any factors playing into this? Does the dog bark whenever he sees someone at the window, or if he wants something from you? How old is the dog?
>>
>>2999046
Took my dogs to a dog park a little while ago and it was great until some fucking woman brought her pitbull and let it run around off leash.
>>
>>3000740
>things that did not happen
>>
File: 1fbhizfmpym21.jpg (139 KB, 960x720)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
My dog's name is Milo and he's 11 years old

I'm just worried, does anyone have any experience with enroflaxocin or a dog without an appetite?
>>
what am i meant to say in an email to a dog breeder
ihave autism so i dont know
>>
What kind of food do you guys feed your pups?
>>
>>3000785

ell enrofloxocin is baytril, aka a fluroquinolone antibiotic. Bit of a strange choice for a first line antibiotic, so I suspect there's more to this story than just inappetence.

What do you want to know? 5th year vet student here.
>>
File: izzderp.jpg (119 KB, 516x688)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>3000914

I feel for you, having just recently had to do this myself it wasn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to do. I went along the lines of:

First paragraph: Few details about me, so for me- I discussed the fact we lived in a house with a large garden (owned), that we had previously had the breed before, what we normally do for walks, talked about how the dog would never be left (she comes into work with me) and a few details about our household.

Second paragraph: few leading questions- what health testing they did, asking about the litter in general etc. Kept the questioning really light as I asked if we could have a chat on the phone as that's always easier. Once on the phone we discussed her set up/how many litters she'd had previously/details and about the litter/ health testing etc. Be prepared to be quizzed by the breeder on your situation/ dog experience/ what you want the breed for/ have you had that specific breed before by any good breeder. They just want the best homes for their litter.

To be fair, it was much easier for us as I was recommended her by our local breed council. It was an awkward first message however. Well worth it to own this derp now.
>>
>>3001135
>File: izzderp.jpg (119 KB, 516x688)
cute! any more pigs?
>>
why does my heeler whine and pace when i'm playing with the cats? is she jealous because she wants me to play with her instead or upset because she's not allowed to join? something else?
>>
File: end of kong.jpg (60 KB, 1024x768)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>3000476
>So, I got a job as a handler

handler of what? a dog? in what capacity? where? usually all the relvant bodies that use dogs have their own schools etc.

>>3000470
>Are antlers safe or not

antlers are the hardest known bone like material. they are not safe to give to dogs. likewise "chew toys" like nylabones are not safe to give to dogs. they are a crutch for people who do not exercise and stimulate their dogs enough. chewing should not be dissasociated from eating food and used in this way. if you want your dog to chew, feed it the appropriate diet like a chicken thigh, a beef sternum, a turkey neck etc.

>something for her to do during down-time

if you must, feed from a KONG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EuY98sRPb8

be aware though that every toy is a risk, pic is a piece of a KONG eaten by another ANON's dog here a few months back. the dog needed surgery.

>>3000494
>nylabones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6d3M3sqQh0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHZszk0x_I

reports of broken teeth with these and other like products are legion. 10 mins of tug play with some old plush toys you regularly wash in the machine at high temp will serve you much better. a. it will help clean teeth some, b. it will be playtime with you which will strengthen the bond with your dog, c. it does not pose the danger of broken teeth and swallowed pieces.
>>
>>3001188
>another ANON's
To be fair, that guy was an idiot that wasn't paying attention to what his dog was doing and didn't even knew it was the kong at first
>>
>>3001192
doesn't matter. dogs can eat anything and it may be their doom. there are no good ways to let your dog "entertain itself" alone. if you need that, you should not get a dog.
>>
>>3000723

He is 5 months, he barks when he sees people at the window. He makes a crying noise when hes hungry. Sometimes he barks at himself at the mirror
>>
>>3001195
There are if you your dog is not a fuckin idiot. Stray dogs usually know what sort of things are safe to eat.
>>
>>
>>3001195
Absolutely no one said leave your dog alone with chew toys. As long as they are properly supervised, there's literally nothing wrong with letting your dog have a chew on something if you're keeping an eye on them. It literally says on pretty much any dog toy you will buy to not let them have it without supervision.
>>
>>3001221
the sheer numbers of people bitching about broken teeth on forums says you are wrong.
>>
File: Day out 1.jpg (146 KB, 900x1200)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>3001164
Loads of piggies
>>
File: IzzyGrump.jpg (279 KB, 1200x1200)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>>3001228
>>
>>3001228
>>3001230

Hnnngh...
>>
>>3001188
>handler of what? a dog?
Yes, as implied by the image, and the text
>I want to be more than a dude with a dog, I want to be a good handler.

>in what capacity?
MWD handler

>usually all the relvant bodies that use dogs have their own schools etc.
I'm in training right now, and I would like to know what other resources I can use to supplement my knowledge.
>>
>>3000762
not him but it happens all the fucking time, especially if you live down south where pitbulls are fucking rampant everywhere. its why i dont go to dog parks anymore, too many pitbulls
>>
>>3001256
Did you not have to go through a training session in order to handle their dogs? Do you have any experience at all?
I think the basic thing right now is for the dog to learn basic commands (sit, heel, down, no, stay, touch, "busy"), socialization, and to be able to work in a vest without breaks (can't have an accident in a police line up, needs to stay still for long periods of time) It's probably different from what I do, but the K9 dog is most likely there to sniff stuff out only. So, these things are probably extra if a pitbull can do it. If anything, I'd focus on scent training since he doesn't need as much intensive training a guide dog needs. If you already have the dog and he's past the age where he needs to be housebroken, basic commands, and manners, then definitely scent training. I don't know how old your pup is. Idk
>>
My french bulldog escaped and got kicked in his left eye by a horse, he's now blind on that side.
>>
>>3001264
same here but it's amstaffs. there are few things so priceless as a pit owner's expession when you tell them you do not want your dog to play with theirs...
>>
>>3001264
I live in the south and have never seen a pitbull before
>>
what should i write in a message to a breeder about buying a puppy?
>>
>>3001600
never mind i forgot i already asked lol
>>
>>3000785
I've had a dog with a poor lifelong appetite who spent about six months on enrofloxocin for antibiotic resistant bacterial pyoderma last year. He was ten at the time, but the antibiotics had no affect on his appetite or lack thereof, which is a different issue.
>>
File: 20171211_152718n2.jpg (2.8 MB, 1620x2664)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
>>3000327
With practice, his muscles will develop so he'll be able to hold himself up in that position better. Most dogs need support at first when they're learning it because it's not a position they tend to take naturally, so their muscles aren't built up for balancing like that. Maple needed a little help supporting herself upright to start but now she can hold it on her own for a long time. Don't be afraid to support him in the position (letting him place his front paws on your arm for support, for instance) and just practice until his muscles are built up enough for him to do it on his own. He'll get it!

My favorite dog trick is probably the dog catch (dog jumps into your arms.) It's just really fun!

>>3000470
Like most options for chews, whether or not it's safe is dependent on the individual dog and their chewing style. For a dog who will gnaw on it slowly and safely, it's fine. For a dog who crunches down hard and chips it apart/breaks off chunks, it's not safe (they can break their teeth or swallow a big chunk/shard of the bone and hurt themselves.) Just supervise to start and be aware of your dog's chewing style, and use your best judgment on what is safe for them.

>>3000914
Just express interest in their dogs and ask questions. Give them a general idea of what you want in a dog, what you plan to do with your dog (hiking, training, sports, etc.) and ask them if they think a puppy from them could fit with what you want.

I know it can be difficult, emailing breeders is definitely scary so I feel you. But keep in mind that a good breeder will not be deterred by your interest or annoyed by your questions. They like to see people asking questions because it shows they care and are smart enough to be discerning and looking for a dog that is the right fit rather than blindly rushing into it. If a breeder is deterred by your questions or dodges answering them, find another breeder!

>>3001230
She is so cute!

>>3000476
>>3001256
I hear FENZI classes are good
>>
>>3001629

Well the enrofloxacin will have hopefully cleared up his pyoderma. If it didn't you need to go back to your vet.

As for poor appetite- some dogs just naturally will struggle to eat. You've said yourself it lifelong, so it's unlikely to change now. Is this an issue that he's loosing weight, or are you pulling your hair out because he simply won't eat (but is maintaining his weight)?

I can offer you all the basic advice- make his food exciting by trying wet toppers, sometimes warming their dinner up in the micro helps (remember dogs eat with their nose- so the smellier the food the better) and make sure not to pander to him if he's being fussy (i.e if he's not eaten- take the food up, offer him the food again later- don't let him think that if he leaves the food you'll cave and feed him something 'better').

You can ask your vet for an appetite stimulant (mirtazaphine is used commonly - it's also an anti-emetic), but it's only really used for the cases that actually need it (i.e those loosing weight, or those that need an appetite stimulant due to concurrent disease, e.g CKD).

Also, if your dog is suddenly loosing weight- it would be worth a trip to the vet, as there may be something more serious underlying the weight loss. Hopefully it's just him being picky, but it's worth a check.
>>
>>3001638

can you give one good reason for why one would want to seperate chewing and eating, the two things that in nature are inseperable, and give a dog a piece of plastic/inedible bone to "gnaw" on for hours? teeth do not just break because of "crunching down hard", they also break from "material fatigue" when the the dog "gnaws slowly and safely". dog jaws work like scissors, unlike ours, they have no side to side movement. the weaker material has to give and a quick browse through forums shows that quite often the weaker material is the tooth. I feel anxious when feeding soft spongy bone already and I prescreen every piece carefully and use the ones I deem too risky for broth. I also never let the dog finish the bone, once the meat and lligaments are stripped off, I take the bone away and save it for broth again. if your dog is restless, antsy, irate and is chewing things up, it's telling you it wants to go outside and run and play.
>>
>>3001657
>I can offer you all the basic advice- make his food exciting by trying wet toppers, sometimes warming their dinner up in the micro helps (remember dogs eat with their nose- so the smellier the food the better)

this. maybe also make some bone broth by boiling meat and bones (like, if you have some waste fried chicken bones, crush them and boil them) to water the dry food with if you feed such. you can also try to make it more kcal dense by adding a spoon of salmon fish oil or the hardened fat from bone broth.
>>
>>3001638
You live on east coast right, where if you don’t mind me asking?
>>
>>3001719
I seriously hope you mean you make broth for your dog. If you make broth for personal consumption with bones your dog has been salivating on and rubbing it’s plaquey teeth all over that’s super disgusting
>>
File: 20190417_133836_optimized.jpg (3.81 MB, 5664x4248)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB JPG
>>3001745
>plaquey teeth

they are very likely much, much cleaner than your gf's so...
>>
So the wife and I have an issue with out 10 month old Beagle. I'm pretty sure he has separation anxiety but that's not the main issue. The issue is whenever we leave him downstairs for a little bit and go upstairs to the bedroom to have sex, his wailing and howling gets progressively louder and then he will always go shit somewhere downstairs without fail. Even if hes gone outside recently he will muster up some shit and just wail non stop. We even brought him upstairs and put him in his crate outside our bedroom door and it was worse than ever. We've accepted we'll never be able to leave him home alone outside his crate or even for 30 mins to an hour but losing his mind whenever were upstairs fucking is really annoying.
>>
>>3001795
have you tried playing with the dog before you leave it alone to make it tired? like say 30-60min of ball/frisbee fetch/tug? 10mo is till very young, so whatever exercise you do, try not to overdo and keep the speeds and impacts low so as to not cause injury to the still growing bones and joints of the dog - in case of doubt, just do an off leash walk somwhere safe which will allow the dog to run at his own pace.
>>
>>3001745
>Plaquey teeth
My dog's teeth are whiter than mine.
>>
>>2998825
>What toys should I get my dog?

Anyone have any exp with the Nerf ball laucher?
>>
>>3001957
Yes they launch balls very far
You need like a football field or more to throw a ball full power. Good for super energetic dogs
>>
>>3002016
whats the quality compared to the chuckit launchers? looks like nerf discontinued them and you can only buy remaining stock. I just broke my chuckit one and am now looking for a more gucci, special snowflake one :3 would also be nice if it worked with chuckit ultraballs size M....
>>
>>3001957
>>3002016
>>3002131
Can you people not just throw a ball with your arms wtf
>>
>>3002156
With a chuckit or similar you don't have to touch the slobbery ball.
>>
>>3000327
>but he needs support to stay up
Yeah my dog can't really sit up or support herself on her hind legs so sit pretty isn't an option for me either but that's because she has joint problems

>What other tricks are good?
Closing the door, it's simple enough to teach but will require some time if you didn't train your dog to "touch". Just get a sticky note and hold it up to your dog and reward it the more it takes interest in the the sticky note until it touches it. Place your sticky note on the door at a height that is accessible to its paws, and reward when the door is fully closed.
>>
Hey, so I got a new puppy today, and I have a question. He's kinda noisy. Not like barking. He just sort of squeaks and whimpers and yowls. It's a little bit useful because it means I know where he is, if he's up and moving around, because he's just kinda making sounds, but I can't remember if this is normal? My last puppy was 11 years ago and is now an elderly dog.
>>
>>3001657
It did, eventually. It was supposed to take six weeks to two months but he's old so he heals real slow and he had to stay on it for six months, which cost thousands of dollars because he's a large dog and needed a high dose. Now he has an unrelated non-healing anal fistula that he is permanently on co-amoxiclav for which I have to clean every morning, and he's been on tylosin offlabel for about four years for small intestinal dysbiosis.

The other person's dog I don't have suggestions for though I have experience with both dogs with poor appetite and enrofloxacin, but not enrofloxacin-induced appetite-loss.

Anyway, my dog has had subclinical then later full-blown clinical EPI for his whole life which has been why his appetite has been poor, and it's not a concern. He won't eat non-novel food items so I keep five bags of different brands/flavours open and cycle through them each meal, often rotating different foods in and out as I finish a bag, which has worked for him for years so long as I choose food with low fibre and containing no cereals.
>>
>>3001719
>can you give one good reason
Chewing is a natural behavior that is enjoyable and enriching for dogs. Freedom to express natural behavior is important for the welfare of my dog; I choose to offer her various things she likes to chew on that I deem safe for her.
>two things that in nature are inseperable
They're not, though. Wild canines chew things "for fun" too, including bones, wood, etc.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do with your dog. I can certainly understand being anxious about harm coming to your dog, and I think you should absolutely continue to do what you think is best for her. That doesn't mean I agree that's the only right way to do it. I'm just telling people to know their dog, and use their best judgment on what chews they use.

>>3001744
Not actually on the coast, but yes. I (unfortunately) live in Alabama. Trying to move up to New England again.

>>3002493
You just got him today, he's in a foreign environment with people he doesn't know, and has just been separated from everything he's ever known. And he's a baby. So he is most definitely very overwhelmed! As such it's pretty normal and expected that he might be whiny and agitated while he's adjusting to his new world. Just give him some time and he will start feeling more safe and settled.
>>
How to keep black doggo cool in summer sun? I wanna get her like a reflective layer somehow
>>
File: IMG-20190416-WA0008.jpg (271 KB, 1200x1600)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
Ma pupper
>>
>>3002792

do nothing. if the climate is really bad, try doing all your activities in the early morning and maybe evening when it's cooler. keep the dog in the shade and hydrated otherwise. watch the paws too, if the blacktop gets really hot, carry the dog or get it shoes.
>>
File: cow nose chew.jpg (97 KB, 700x700)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>3002548
>Freedom to express natural behavior

chewing on a piece of nylon plastic is not a natural behavior. chewing bones is, but that's food so again the argument of food and chewing being naturally inseperable still stands. only distressd dogs chew trash, and if distressed enough, sometimes they even chew their own limbs.
>>
File: now you have my attention.jpg (2.31 MB, 5664x4248)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
>>3002883
Excelsior/10
>>
>>3002156
No Mr. Strong manly man, would you pls throw the ball for me and my dog, pls!
>>
Reminder: dog is cute
>>
How do you convince someone to put a dog to sleep? My mom has had a border collie for 16 years and has to drag him, strangling him, by the collar out to go to the bathroom because his back legs both fail when he tries to walk.
>dog had a stroke and is almost completely blind, IS completely deaf, and can't do anything but lay on his side and stare at a wall
>every time we get her to schedule an appointment for euthanasia she flakes and makes excuses like "he still has life in his eyes!" or "his legs weren't as bad today!"
>this has been happening over the course of a year now and the dog is almost in "you're gonna wake up and I'll be dead" mode
why the fuck are some people so greedy
>>
>>3003642
Dog like to chew, chewing is a natural behavior. "Chewing nylon plastic is not natural behavior" is a silly thing to say because it's like saying "chasing a frisbee isn't natural behavior" despite chasing being a completely natural behavior for dogs. Obviously there are not nylabones nor frisbees in "the wild," but we're we're addressing the behavior, not the object. This conversation wasn't even about nylon chew toys, it was about antlers, so I have no idea why you're suddenly trying to argue about plastic. I'm not interested in arguing about any of this but implying only distressed dogs chew things outside of eating is just ridiculous and completely false.
>>
>>3003642
Has it occurred to you that not all dogs are retarded enough to swallow Kongs and Nylabones? If a dog is getting enough exercise and stimulation and still enjoys doing something (which can be safely monitored) during down-time, why not let it? Are you implying there's something wrong with a dog that likes to chew on non-food items? Because literally every dog I've owned in my life has enjoyed it to some extent- and since they were all exercised adequately none of them resorted to destroying the toys or breaking their teeth on them.
>>
What's the best type of grass for dogs?

I have four dogs that tend to destroy my lawn because of their urine (I have two females) and running around during playtime. I have to buy sod every year to replace the damaged spots. I'm looking at rye or fescue sod, but am looking for some opinions.
>>
>>3003659
This doggy always looks like its having vietnam flashbacks but those eyes are so pretty
>>
File: blackie.jpg (981 KB, 1500x1051)
981 KB
981 KB JPG
This is a beautiful mutt owned by my uncle who doesn't care for him properly. I love playing with him, training him and spoiling him when i go over to visit.
>>
File: blackie2.jpg (987 KB, 1500x995)
987 KB
987 KB JPG
>>
File: beagle buggle.jpg (1.07 MB, 1500x1125)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>
>>3004321
ty
>>
File: 20190417_133839_optimized.jpg (3.56 MB, 5664x4248)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
>>3004342
>>3004343
le mini doby/10

>>3004349
battlefield: modern beagle warfare
>>
should I frequently play with my dog? I hate playing btw
>>
>>3004009
>I have no idea why you're suddenly trying to argue about plastic.

Thank you for carefully reading the thread and crafting your replies accordingly!

>>3000470
>>3000494
>>3001188
>>3001192
>>
I keep rewarding good behavior and clearly telling my dog no with a firm voice not to chew my carpet and cables but this is the 3rd week and he's still doing this shit. What the fuck do I do
>>
>>3004434
have you tried goinging outside, throwing a ball for the dog, playing some tug with it with a plush toy and letting it play with other dogs? once a dog is exercised/stimulated, they usually sleep for most of the rest of the day. if the behaviour persists, take it somewhere where there is nothing to chew-destroy, if need be kennel it, and provide it with a substitute by feeding it via a KONG.
>>
>>3004434
how old is your dog? have you tried any of the anti-chew sprays? does he have actual chew toys?
>>
File: icedog.png (1.52 MB, 800x1128)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
fresh OC
>>
File: 1393885590485.png (14 KB, 633x758)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
Had to put my dog down today. He had cancer for over a year and started bleeding all over himself this morning and it wasn't stopping. I know it was the right thing to do but it still really hurts lads, I've never lost a pet before
>>
>>3004671
Just remember that he's glad you knew better than to let him suffer.
>>
>>3004434
>3rd week
If you've only had the dog for 3 weeks, keep in mind that dogs do take some time to adjust to a new home and a few weeks isn't really that long. Keep being consistent with redirecting him from things he shouldn't play with and rewarding good behavior. Use management (crates, baby gates, doors, etc.) to keep him out of areas/rooms that have things in his reach that he shouldn't chew (or else supervise him heavily.) Give appropriate toys and chews (stuffed kong, bully sticks, etc.) so he can make good choices and develop good habits (what's ok to play with and what's not.) Just be patient and keep at it, he'll adjust and learn, don't worry!
>>
File: 1527268190167.gif (138 KB, 740x900)
138 KB
138 KB GIF
>>3004671
>his last thoughts were of you
>>
>>3002156
I have a similar device, it helps because my shoulder is busted. With the thing I can sling the ball from below instead of doing an overhead throw with little effort.

It's great.
>>
My dog doesnt know a lot of words
But he knows "sorry boy"
Usually its used innocuously if I step on him
But on nights like this I get into bed with him and fucking cry
Sorry boy, sorry, sorry boy
Someday I'll pull the trigger
And I hope he knows that thats what these sorries are for
>>
But of course he wont fucking know, how could he? All he'll know is that I fucking left him, of course he wont fucking understand
>>
>>3005277
>>3005282
Anon don't you do it. He needs you. If you're sorry to leave him then DON'T DO IT. Don't leave him to wonder and worry. You better stay.
>>
I love my doggy
>>
Hello friends!

>>3004409
There are lots of different ways to play and games to play with your dog, I'm sure you can find something you both enjoy!

>>3004541
That's a cute pup. Love those ears!
>>
>>3006465
maple is the best thing about this godforsaken board
>>
File: dogg.jpg (48 KB, 780x1040)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
My Labrador, doing a memeface.
>>
File: real.jpg (380 KB, 1436x1200)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
>>3006465
>>
File: mostest smuggest est grl.jpg (2.1 MB, 5664x4248)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>3004541
>File: icedog.png (1.52 MB, 800x1128)
Floof/10

>>3006635
Scooby sees monster/10
>>
Are German Shepherds/Huskies good dogs to have for the outdoors?
>>
Taking care of a poodle
It wont eat its food in the bowl or if you have a lot in your hand
Only eats it when i have 4 or less pieces in my hand
Anyone know how to fix this behavior?
He takes the same dog food as treats for training
Just won't eat when its in any kind of bowl
>>
File: polska2.jpg (72 KB, 350x525)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>2998825
Sup guys, my bitch is having puppies atm and I don't have a doghouse near me to set up a lair for her. How can I improvise a safe place for her?

Need help ASAP
>>
>>3006635
cute pitbull
>>
>>3006833
Try your closet. Clear it out and set up some nice clean towels for her to lay upon.
>>
>>3006833
a corner in a quite room. put down some blankets and towels that you can wash easily because young puppies are messy. leave them be. check back frequently though. have plenty of fresh water and food ready for the dog.
>>
>>3006921
She's a GSD, my closet is quite small, I'm afraid she might squash them. I set up some blankets and towells in a corner in my living room for her like >>3006926 pointed out
>>
>>3006833
You should've thought of this before you banged her.
>>
>>3006966
I got rid of her doghouse last week because it was quite a mess and I thought she wouldn't be giving birth to the puppers this week according to my (shit) calculations
>>
File: izzmid.gif (3.94 MB, 600x338)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB GIF
Anyone got any hints on getting a dog to roll over? We try the put the treat towards the back legs shaping method, but she keeps sitting it up and refusing to lie on her side. She's the best at her puppy class by miles in terms of basic obedience, but when the trainer was trying to show us how to get the dogs to roll over tonight she was the only one who couldn't do it. We'll work on it- but any tips /an/ons?

She's such a good girl, usually picks up things really quickly and I felt sorry for her as she looked so frustrated. Pick related, her and me doing a 'middle' around the room.
>>
>>3007019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M6CEU8wlV4
>>
>>3007019
>We try the put the treat towards the back legs shaping method
>>3007060
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFiLWc-g-_o
>>
10 months old soon. Went by so fast.
>>
The one guy uses a prong choker, the other one doesn't like to play with his dog, yet another one beats his dog for shitting inside. This place is killing my soul ;_;
>>
File: IMG_20190428_104239.jpg (2.01 MB, 4160x2340)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
I need help!
So, this little girl adopted me.
For some reason, she trusts and like me. But she's way too scared, the girl who rescued her said she probably suffered heavily.
She had a severe anemia, at least she gave birth 2 times. Also, suffered mistreatment.
She didn't made any poop or piss yet, after 24 hours.
She's too scared of my husband (any male, actually), because it was a man who mistreated her.
Well, I need tips. Any recommended video showing how to lose fear?
>>
>>3007423
Just give it time and make sure your husband is very patient and calm around her. Have him basically ignore the dog for a while so that she can slowly get used to just being in his presence and can eventually approach him at her own pace rather than being forced. It'll take some time but if you give her lots of space then she'll likely begin to warm up.
>>
>at the dog park
>see guy entering with his pitbull

What do you do
>>
i talk to my dog like i think it can understand me and then sometimes based on his reaction or facial expression i will say in a higher pitched voice what i imagine he would say or think to me
its funny to me and i love my dog
im petting my dog now hes a good boy but he is taking up the most awkward of positions on my bed. its big enough for both of us easily but he decides to lie diagonally on it to be as obnoxious as possible
but its ok
good night /an/
>>
Im looking for resources on how to train my dog better for off-leash hiking.
He never goes out of sight, but if he spots other dogs or people his hearing turns off and he may or may not go over to say hi.
Nothing I have found has higher value to him than meeting other dogs. Not treats or even cheese, his absolute favourite that I try not to use much. Play doesn't get his attention either.

We have done contact exercises since I got him. I use it every day and usually stop around the park and wait for dogs to walk by, to work on getting his attention in their presence with clicker training. Every serious, modern resource I have found recommends this exercise. I have done it for two years, also in courses with dog trainers. He still runs off to meet dogs, it seems to be all he cares about in life outside of the home.
>>
>>3007739
also, sometimes I do manage to get his attention before he runs off. He will then take the treat and then literally spit it out on the ground before running off. Can you imagine my frustration when my dog sits down calmly, looks me in the eyes, takes a piece of fatty cheese and then drops it on the ground demonstratively before running away, embarrassing and stressing me out?
>>
How often should I beat my dog?
>>
File: 1465024258.jpg (39 KB, 600x399)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>3007739
>Play doesn't get his attention either.

what sorts of play do you do? what breed is it, how old is it? does it get to socialize with dogs regularly or is dog contact a very rare thing?

play that reinforces=treats closeness to owner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVSY5SgFkg

training recalls when distracted by high value distractions:
https://youtu.be/qHp9I0a8HXI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83VBiYgP-rU
https://youtu.be/VqrLQunK1Us

>>3007423
>She didn't made any poop or piss yet, after 24 hours.

this may be the stress, it happens. Just do as you'd do with a puppy and take her ouside every hour and wait a bit. once she does her thing, reward with food/pats/play.

>Any recommended video showing how to lose fear?

start slow, make her a bed or even better a den from a crate with a blanket over it and DO NOT DISTURB her if she's there. when it's feeding time, you can both sit down with her and feed her by hand piece by piece. this will start building trust.
>>
>>3006628
She is a very good cute girl, that's for sure

>>3006645
Oh, what a cutie! What kind of dog?

>>3007019
Don't feel bad, due to shape/size differences, the same exact lure doesn't always work for every dog, so you sort of have to play with the lure to figure out how to move it in order to get the position you want. You probably already know this but try to work in smaller increments, don't expect the full roll over movement at once. Start with rewarding for turning her head, then for rolling onto her hip/shoulder, rolling onto her side, etc. You might have more success luring with the treat closer to over her shoulder (while she's laying down) rather than towards her back legs, getting her to turn her head. Alternatively, you could capture her laying on her side on her own and try to work from there.

>>3007117
Puppies don't stay puppies long enough!

>>3007185
Some are trolls, some are just idiots. Like most of 4chan, you gotta overlook the garbage and focus on the good stuff.

>>3007423
This: >>3007476
After only a day, a scared dog is nowhere near adjusted to a new home. Be patient, don't expect too much of her, just let her be chill and learn that she's safe. Give her time to become comfortable with her new environment.

>>3007739
You need to use management to prevent him from practicing the behavior you don't like (running off to meet other dogs) so that it's not competing reinforcement. Use a long line, practice recalls and reinforce heavily like you're doing. Use the long line to prevent him from running up to other dogs. Also if you know someone with a dog you know/trust, get them to help you by teaching your dog that he gets to run over and say hi when you tell him he can. i.e. his reward for sticking by you and not running off is he sometimes gets to go say hi to the dog after you give him the ok.
>>
>>3007476
He's very patient, he's also giving her the time. When she approaches and try to sniff, he gives attention.
I was kinda worried about poop or piss, I will let her chill out and see.
>>3007767
>Take her outside
Well, unfortunately I can't get her out.
When I take the leash she runs away, trembling. I tried to put when she was more calm, but she just stay in submission pose and doesn't move a inch.
To take her home, she came with me in my arms.
She's small, so it was easy. But I don't know her age, so I don't know how many years she suffered mistreatment.
>>
https://www.nature.com/news/prehistoric-genomes-reveal-european-origins-of-dogs-1.14178
i attended 2 lectures given by Olaf
>>
>>3007791
>To take her home, she came with me in my arms.

Well do that then. You need to get her potty trained do you not?

>But I don't know her age

have you been to a vet with her?

>>3007773
>Oh, what a cutie! What kind of dog?

Add said it was a border collie....
>>
File: 1-1.jpg (58 KB, 564x751)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>3007579
I've unironically started going away and actively stop my dog from playing. The faces of pibble folks when you tell them you do not want your dog to play with theirs are priceless. I do this for several reasons. Pibblers usually show up for 15-20mins max - basically just to shit. While we do real and exhaustive training. I do not want my already tired and spent dog after 90mins of training to have to deal with a fresh, fully hyper pibble who already plays rough by virtue of it's breed but is also amped up by additionally being out only for a short time every day. Risk of injury and all that. If our dog yelps during play, NEVER let it play with a pibble. These high pitched "prey noises" will get a pibble mad with bloodlust, no joke, it happened to me and that's why I no longer risk it, especially not if there are multiple pits. Previously, I liked them because they could keep up with my dog and she really liked to play with them but after one crashed into her with a tackle and she yelped which got it and the other 3 into a frenzy I no longer risk it.

*when I say pibble it's basically Amstaffs.
>>
>>3007839
Do people go to dog parks to train where you live? That doesn't really work here. You would be swarmed.
>>
>>3007869
dedicated dog parks are unobtainium where I live. meaning city sponsored, fenced in parks that are taken care of. there is one but it's 40x50yds and full of shit and dog dug holes. shows what cunts dog owners are on average.

The place I mostly use is a stretch of wildflower-shrubbery-grass land (pic related) close to a rail track (it's safe cause it's fenced in), sized about 300x400yds. You can play ball and hide stuff for nose work. it's pretty nice. A similar plot of land which we used previously (less shrubbery, fewer ticks) had been closed down in fall, it's only a matter of time before they decide to build another commie block here too. Plenty of people come with their dogs but you can usually evade them.
>>
>>3007897
>shows what cunts dog owners are on average
tell me about it, my favourite park is full of those holes, its not even a dog park. Theres an ever growing group of people meeting up there every evening at the same time. Always growing with new puppy owners. They just let them loose and sit down for coffee while up to ~20 dogs roam about a square km of park. Other people then shy away from the park. This group of dogs will also zerg rush anyone just walking or running with their dog to greet them.
>>
>>3007897
also, that place you guys have there looks and sounds much better than the dedicated dog parks I have been to
>>
File: 20190409_130305-min2.jpg (3.72 MB, 4240x5664)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
>>3007979
>a square km of park

So jelly ;_;

>sit down for coffee

I fucking hate scum like that. DP is for dog socialization, not for you!

>that place you guys have

Yeah but it could go away any day. Pic is a less wild part where we have a dirt path for long range fetch play.
>>
>>3001197

I've found mine ignores his reflection. If I try to make him look at it he will look away. I showed him a full length mirror recently and he was interested in his reflection for only a short while, and never barked at it. He used to when he was young, but when I would carry him I'd stand in front of the mirror and point out his reflection. He just seemed to stop caring after a while.
>>
>>3007817
>Vet
I adopted her yesterday. But the group who rescued her forgot to ask the vet. Anyway, I already marked a vet of my confidence that will do a nice check up this week.
She's not vaccinated or castrated yet, so I will wait to train her to take outside.
But today she was great! She did her necessities in the place I wanted and she's playing with me.
It will take longer with my husband, but at least she doesn't run away from him now.
>>
my dog peed on my carpet.
1. immediately soaked up the pee
2. poured vinegar/water mixture onto stain
3. let it rest for ~30m
4. blot area until almost dry
5. repeat 2-4 two more times
I'm gonna let it air dry for a few hours before putting baking soda and then vacuuming. Did I handle this correctly?
>>
>Work 10 hour days
>gf leaves for work about 4 hours after I do, I'm back about 5-6 hours after that (if not earlier some days)
Is it irresponsible to get a dog? Crate training it until it can be trusted to hang out for 6 hours on its own seems reasonable but I'm not an expert on this.
>>
>>3008261
ya, alot of shelters will just deny you outright if you tell them that. if you're desperate for a pet you can get a cat, most are fine on their own as they are lone hunters in the wild. dogs however are pack animals and don't deal with solitude well.
you could also just drop your dog off at a doggy day care, but that cost can add up.
>>
>>3008398
>>3008261
Im pretty sure >90% of all dogs are alone for more than 5 hours a day here, and this place is pretty progressive on animal welfare.. like you are not allowed to have your dog in a crate for that amount of time.
Literally who doesn't work at least 6-8 hour days anyway? Are dogs only for neets now?
Unless the little dude has or gets separation anxiety, and as long as you do the basic training and take care of its needs you wont have any problems. Everyone has their dog home alone for that amount of time.
>>
>>3008415
I'm thinking we just get a breed with a little less energy, and have the gf take the little fella for a hard run so he just sleeps until I'm back.
>>
>>3008415
>Are dogs only for neets now?

No but they have always been a tool for a multi person household, aka a family where usually the woman stays at home, and do not lend themselves well to being a child substitute for 30+ year old singles working 8hrs and living in urban commie block hell. I know a lot of people like that and they are massively unhappy at the dog park. You can literally watch them counting minutes so they can leave. If dog related activities aren't already a big part of your life, you are very likely setting yourself up to fail bigly if you get a dog. The shelters are testament to that. Going to the park to play with your dog on an ice cold, dark winter morning before you go to work isn't for everyone.

>>3008261
>Is it irresponsible to get a dog?

What if the gf leaves? IMO do not get a dog if you have to rely on somebody else in helping out with it. If the woman leaves, you might be fucked.
>>
>>3008468
Then I will come home every three hours to take care of my little dude. Not everyone wants to set-and-forget their dogs, you know. There's a reason I've been kicking the idea around for two years, and with marriage looming as well as the gf wanting to be a stay-at-home mother for the first few years, a dog is a good idea, I think.
>>
How to teach a puppy Fetch? She had it down at first but now just looks at me whenever I throw her toy.
>>
>>3007773
What breed is Maple?
>>
>>3008155
Get enzyme cleaner, it's easier than doing all that.

>>3008261
That's fine, being alone for 5-6 hours is fine for a dog. Plenty of people who have dogs and jobs are gone for longer than that and they make it work. Sounds like you can make it work just fine.
>>
>>3008731
If she's not chasing the toy anymore, work on her toy drive for a while--wave the toy around, act super interested in it, play tug with her. Get excited and praise her a lot for showing interest in the toy. You might also try getting some different toys and seeing what she likes best, and also rotating your toys so she doesn't lose interest because they're always novel.

Once she's really excited about the toy(s) and playing tug with you, you can try throwing the toy and see if she'll chase it. If she is excited enough about playing tug she'll probably want to bring the toy back to you, in which case you can reward her for returning it by playing some more tug. You can incorporate a second toy into this game to get her to drop the first, then throw the second for her. Repeat. If needed you can also use food rewards for bringing back the toy, if just the game isn't reinforcing enough to her. Not every dog is super into fetch but with some work to build her drive for it, she will probably learn to enjoy it. Eventually once she's learned the game, chasing retrieving the toy will become fun for her on its own.

>>3008795
She is an English Shepherd!
>>
>>3008830
How to teach dog to like toys
>>
File: 20180116_160953.jpg (1.36 MB, 2692x1836)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>3008848
I kinda went into it in that post. You want to tap into the dog's natural drive to chase--their prey drive. Motion, exciting noise, etc. Since dogs are very social, you acting super interested and excited about the toy can also help.

And, for dogs who are REALLY disinterested in toys, rewarding any interaction with a toy (looking at it, moving towards it, investigating with nose/paws/mouth, then eventually picking it up, etc.) with food at gradual stages can help a lot to start. Not every dog is super motivated by toys, but every animal likes food, so you can use food to reward interaction with the toy and eventually hope to create a positive association with the toy based on that. Once you've convinced your dog that playing with a toy is worthwhile for the food, this makes it easier to continue to build their drive for the toy/play itself by making the toy move around and be fun and exciting.

If you can get your dog to play tug, tug is GREAT for increasing toy drive.

Also, experiment with different types of toys--material, shape, etc. Maybe your dog likes plush toys, maybe he prefers rubber balls, etc. The sound of squeaky toys triggers prey drive in many dogs, so try that for sure. Maybe your dog might like the crunchy crackly textured toys. And again, rotating out their toys can help prevent them from becoming bored since their toys will always feel new.

In the end, you may not be able to teach your dog to REALLY like toys. Every dog is an individual and some are just not that interested in toys. Not every dog has or can have a super intense toy drive, but you can at least work with them to achieve their personal potential for it. Certain breeds or types of dog are more inclined towards toy drive than others, so that's something to keep in mind.
>>
>>3000470
None of my many dogs and the working dogs I've worked with have had issues with antlers. They are cleaner than most chews and have less toxic additives.

In the 18 years or so I've been using them with some 23ish dogs I've only ever had one dog choke on some of the bone but it cleared easily.

They can be spendy but last much longer than other toys. Because they can fragment I'd use with supervision only but the risk seems low.

People spread fear of them because of the chance of fragmentation, but its a small risk. And compared to choking hazards or toxic materials in other toys, its really not bad. They are also a good price on amazon.

My Shep chomps on them hardcore but a single antler lasts easily multiple months when anything else only lasts a few days, or even minutes. Bone marrow is also good for the dog.

I've never had intestinal issues in any of my dogs.

Just sharing my real world experience of using them for a long ass time in both a personal and professional manner.
>>
>>3004342
BALLS
>>
>>3008848
>How to teach dog to like toys

>>3008830 and >>3008879 just explained it did he not? You do not need toys though, I like to play wrestle with my dog without toys too. Basically I just try to outmaneuver, push her around a bit with my outstretched arms and touch the very end of the fur on her tail. not recommended if you have two left feet though, you might stuble and hurt the dog/yourself.

my favourrite toys would be:

>Chuckit! Ultraball tennisball
>Collar Puller tug ring
>Kong Extreme Flyer frisbee
>>
>>3008879
>das a nice ball you got there Maple, it would be a shame if... something... happened to it....
>>
File: IMG_20190426_063758196.jpg (1.92 MB, 3264x2448)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
Let see some command lists. Here's Wrecks'

Here
Sit
Stay
Pace (Run at my pace)
This way (Turns him around to face me)
Find it (Puts him on a scent trail)
Hugs
Fetch it up (he'll go get a ball/stick he didn't chase right away)
That way (faces away from me)
Touch (uses his nose to touch something)
High five (Jumping give paw)
Jump
Heel (working on "heel left" and "heel right" now)
Center up (sits between my legs)
Bridge (stands between my legs)
Up (climbs up on anything)
Tornado (still in progress)
Dance (stands and spins 360)
Sit Pretty
Stand (stands still on back legs)
Hop (stands on back legs and hops)
Leave It
Drop it
Lay down
Down (off an object)
Race (Runs wide open in about a 30 foot circle around me)
Paw
Roll over
This side (when on a leash he'll walk the same side of a pole/tree as you do)
Follow your lead(he'll follow his long leash back around trees when he's tangled)
>>
File: 20190318_124455comp.jpg (2.64 MB, 5664x4248)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
>>3009009
noice

>COME! recall
>NO! Emergency stop, stop what you are doing, look at me, 100% chance of treat
>STAY! stay and wait
>LEFT! 90° turn left
>RIGHT! 90° turn right
>SLOW! slow down but keep going
>DROP! drop toy
>AWAY 2 ME! circle something turning left
>COME BY! circle something turning right
>CENTER! between legs, watching my 6
>GO! release into environment

pretty utilitarian.
>>
>want to get a dog
>Landlord only allows cats
>Landlord says dogs are banned due to smell
>Place fucking reeked of cat piss when we moved in, had to clean the carpets twice to get the place smelling normal
Ok
Worst part is that they're owned by a bigger company so I can't even reason with them, fuck me.
>>
>>2999815
Gave that to my dog and she got tumors with seizures and died
>>
>>3006809
Huskys ya germ sheps ya husky more aesthetic
>>
>>3008879
My dog doesn't like food
>>
Are samoyeds a good breed for beginners? Helped me da look after retired greyhounds when I were a bairn but haven't done that for donkey's years. There'd be someone home most of the day but would want to get more than one anyway, I wouldn't want a dog to get lonely.
>>
>>3009009
About 3/4 of my commands are nonsense words or strings of whistles. I do, however, have:

Sit
Down
Wait (remain where they are until I tell them to do something else)
Stay (remain where they are until I release them)
Come
Leash Time (recall, then stick around so I can put the leash on)
Okay (release)
Leave It (I can ask them to leave anything, dropped food, cat poop, other dogs)
Drop It
Nicely (Play modifier)
It's Alright (There's a previously acknowledged stressor ahead, I see it, I know they see it, I'm asking for calmness)
>>
is putting down dogs a bad idea
it seems like one but maybe i'm wrong
>>
What should I buy for a new puppy?
>>
>>3009717
Nah it's great
Me and the boys do it every weekend
>>
>>2999046
Just reminded me:

>take two small dogs to dog park
>shiba and a mini dachshund
>need to socialize them
>Shiba is like the bear man from the hobbit and also hates larger dogs
>Dachshund likes smaller dogs but doesn't get out much
>a few people gradually come one at a time
>dog park is separated into two sections with a gate in between
>one side for small dogs and one side for big dogs
>lady whom I've been acquainted with for a while also has weeny dog but also an almost medium sized dog too
>she keeps opening up the gate in between the size areas
>there's several large dogs playing passionately with each other on the other side
>I've been uncomfortable this whole time so I'm hanging out with my shiba closely
>my shibe is also worried
>finally, after many times of opening, a big ass dog slips through
>runs directly towards my shiba
>I go lion king on her and lift her far above my head
>big dog is jumping on me while I'm kneeing it away
>dachshund is on the opposite end in bf's lap and safe
>he knows he should keep our ween as far away
>"oh she's friendly" typical owner behavior
>my only rebuttal "yeah well mine ain't! We can't handle big dogs!"
>they realise now why I'm so worried
>everyone quickly helps out and separates their dogs

We quickly left after that. The dogs were shaken up. Whenever we drive by the park, we make sure no one else is there.
>>
File: .jpg (234 KB, 1200x1200)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
whaddy'all use? i buy this from sketchy sites.
>>
File: 20171224_163107.jpg (1.08 MB, 2456x1836)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>3008992
Wrestling with dog is good too!

>>3008996
I got it for Christmas for her last year. It's a good tug ball!

>>3009675
>My dog doesn't like food
While it's true that some dogs are less food motivated than others... Is your dog dead of starvation? If not, then he can be motivated by food at least to some extent. All animals get hungry and seek out food. And you can play around with different foods/treats to see what they find most appealing as well.

>>3009728
What stuff do you already have?

>>3009756
I'm sorry anon, I'm glad your dogs are ok though. I wish people would be more careful with how they allow their dogs to interact with others. All of the dog parks I've seen in my area have an "air lock" system between the big dog and small dog section so a dog slipping through one gate isn't enough for them to accidentally make it into the other section.

>>3009764
I prefer topicals for fleas/ticks because the bugs don't have to bite to die. I use a generic brand version of Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks, and Heartgard Plus for worms. In addition, permethrin spray if we're going hiking/going into a tick-heavy area. I buy permethrin concentrate at the Tractor Supply store and mix it up myself because it's way cheaper that way.
>>
>>3009009
Verbal reward marker: "good girl!"
Hand signal reward marker: flash "thumbs up" sign
"No reward" marker: "nope"
Interrupter: "No!"

Behaviors (behavior - cue; most of these have hand signals/cues as well):
• Sit - "sit"
• Lay down - "down"
• Stand - "stand"
• Head down while laying down, relax - "chill"
• Play dead - "die!"
• Sit pretty - "meerkat"
• Playbow - "bravo!"
• Roll onto her back - "belly"
• Recall - "com'ere!"
• Drop item - "drop it"
• Leave/do not touch or interact with item - "leave it"
○ Take item - "take it"
○ Take or get item--high energy - "get it!"
• Stay (current spot/position) - "Wait"
○ Release from stay - "Release!"
• Leave area - "out"
• Go to crate - "go rest" ("come on," recall, or other locational cue to release from crate)
• Go to lay in bed/mat target- "go lay down"
• Sit by food bowl to wait for meal or treat - "Go sit by your bowl"
○ "Ok" or "go on" to release to food
• Go to front door of our house (target sidewalk square in front of the door on front porch) and wait - "go home"
• Heel (handler's left side) - "heel"
○ Sit when stop in heel
○ Loose leash release to sniff/release from heel - "Go sniff"
• Retrieve - "Go get it"; "go get X"
• Eye contact - "look"
• Attention - "Maple"; whistle; kiss noise
• Cease barking/vocalization - "quiet" or "that's enough"
• Take a drink of water - "get some water"
• Ring string of bells with nose or paw - "ring the bells"

(ran out of space, I'll continue in the next post)

>Follow your lead(he'll follow his long leash back around trees when he's tangled)
That's super useful, I like that a lot!
>>
File: 20180303_162055.jpg (1.8 MB, 2816x1836)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>3009009
(continued from >>3009798)

• Raise or target with left front paw - "left paw" - offer left hand down for a "handshake" or up for a "highfive"; or stick right foot out for her to pick up her left pat when standing facing her (a "mirror")
○ Target foot target stick - "left paw" - place/offer foot target stick in desired location
• Raise or target with right front paw - "right paw" - offer right hand down for a "handshake" or up for a "highfive"; or stick left foot out when standing facing her for her to pick up her right paw (a "mirror")
○ Target foot target stick - "right paw" - place/offer foot target stick in desired location
• Target (hands) with both paws - "paws!"
• Touch target with nose - "touch"
○ Touch nose to fingertip or handler's nose - "beep!" - fingertip pointed at her nose, nose offered to her face
• Place muzzle into container, muzzle, or loop - "muzzle"
• Chin rest (in hand) - "chin"
• Front paws on (generally elevated) target - "paws up"
• Jump onto target - "up"
• Walk backwards - "back up"
• Reverse back feet onto raised surface or target - "Spiderman"
• Counter-clockwise spin - "spin"
• Clockwise spin - "around"
• Grab tail in her mouth - "Get your tail"
• Leg weaves (stationary or mobile)
• Walk with her feet on mine between my legs - "feets!"
• Throw garbage away - "into the trash it goes"
• Jump into my arms - "catch!"
• Duck head while front paws are up on target - "duck"
• Close door, cabinet, etc. - "close it!"
• Jump over obstacle - "over!"
• Jump through obstacle (hoop, arms in a loop, etc.) - "through!"
• Suitcase trick (open and climb into suitcase and lay down) - "suitcase"
○ Tuck face into suitcase - "tuck it in"
○ Peek face out of suitcase - "Peek-a-boo!"
○ Any release cue or directional cue to release from suitcase

ran out of room again, fug
>>
File: 20181024_165849.jpg (3.47 MB, 2720x1836)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
>>3009009
(continued from >>3009799)

Manners:
• Loose leash walking
○ Default attention/eye contact during stops to continue forward motion
○ "Let's go" for sudden change in direction or moving on from a spot
○ "This way" side motion to avoid getting leash caught on pole, etc.
• Default retrieve leash to hand when accidentally dropped
• Default sit for leashing/unclipping leash
○ Wait for release when leash is removed
• Check-ins off leash (regularly run back to handler to check in; generic release cue to release back to exploring)
• Default wait until given release cue to enter/exit threshold (room, house, gate, car, crate, etc.)
○ Sit to ask permission to be released from threshold (room, house, gate)
• Yard boundary re:street (do not go into street without leash or verbal release)
• Default four paws on the ground for greeting (do not jump up without invitation)
• Calmly accept handling (feet, ears, mouth, etc.)
• Default wait for grooming
○ Wait for release from grooming table/bathtub, etc.

Communication:
• "Go on" - generic release cue (for engagement or default waits)
• "Come on" - inviting cue
• "Ok" - generic release cue?
• "All done" - grooming release cue/end of training or play session
• "(Do you) wanna come in/come out?" - Invitation to sit to ask to come in room/leave room
• "(Do you) wanna go outside?" - Invitation to sit to ask to go outside
• "(Do you) wanna cuddle?" - Invitation to cuddle on couch
• "What's up?" - show me
• "Psst!" - someone is doing the bad thing! (a cat, etc.) Go do your herding dog job!

Toy/item names ("where's your" "go get the/a"):
• "Leash"
• "Bone"
• "Hoof"
• "Kong"
• "Ball"
• "Disc"
• "Pickle"
• "Stick"
>>
>>3009764
Holy shit that's just like factory farming type shit
Your a disgusting person
>>
>>3009009
(continued from >>3009800)

This list is incomplete, it just has things she already knows, I have a separate "in progress" list for things she's currently learning including reverse orbiting around me, wrapping around a vertical object, gently holding an object (we're training it with a plastic Easter egg so I can tell if she's using a soft mouth or not,) trust falls, tactical heeling, and stacking rings on a post (just trying to proof the correct order to stack them in,) among others. She loves to train and I love to work with her, she's just a joy to work with!
>>
File: izzroll.gif (2.49 MB, 600x338)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB GIF
>>3009791

Mind if I ask specifically what brand that is? Izz would absolutely adore that. We have a really poor selection of toys at our local pet shop unfortunately, and that looks awesome.

Also, we managed the roll eventually!

>>3009009
The basics- so sit, down, stand in any order
Leave it (still working on it, but she's pretty good at ignoring most things now)
Drop it
Target - she'll put her nose on and follow a target stick
'On'- climbs up and follows you on anything, e.g logs outside.
Stay (stay put until I get you)
Wait (stay put until I give you another command)
Paw plus 'the other' (aka give the other paw)
Weave (weaves in between my legs, she can do that whilst walking too)
Circle and spin (clockwise and anticlockwise)
Middle - she'll walk at my pace in between my legs.
Backwards- walk backwards a few steps
Tunnel - go through the tunnel

We're trying to cement the absolute basics still whilst sticking in a few elements for fun. So I'm really working on her stay/wait and I'm starting to progress from loose lead walking now to actually getting her to do some proper heel work. We're also doing basic exercises- so getting her to sit in front, then to the left and then to the right etc. She's still only 14 weeks, so we're getting there.
>>
>>3009021
Still better than most and all the important stuff is there.
>>3009687
Nice to emotional support commands, I have a lot of commands that happened organically I didn't list similar to "it's okay". Typically "Stop being a wimp" or "There's nothing to worry about".
>>3009803
That's fantastic. Wrecks' is slowly getting there, he's still just 9 months old. The follow your lead command was well needed as we spend 2.5-3 hours a day just letting him use his hound instincts in the woods, and I don't 100% trust his recall yet, even though I have called him off deer in the neighborhood.
What training models are you using? I'm working on developing my own specifically for scent hounds based on what I learned taking a few Canine pyschology courses, It's kind of a mix of classical conditioning, umbilical training and some small queues from purely positive. Scent hounds are notorious for being difficult to train and I personally think it's because they're not treated like the sporting dogs they are.
>>
File: IMG_20190417_122704449.jpg (1.83 MB, 3264x2448)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
>>3009805
Nothing wrong with that list. Teaching Wrecks stay has been the hardest thing for us so far. I think it just goes against beagle instinct to stay still. He's either full turbo retard or sleeping with very little in-between.
>>
File: 20190410_190646.jpg (2.26 MB, 2000x2339)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
>>3009805
I got it from Petco, I think it was their brand "Leaps & Bounds" but unfortunately I think that specific ball might have been discontinued as I haven't seen it in store recently.

Great job on the roll! What a good pup. She's a smart cookie and knows so much for her age!

>>3009847
>What training models are you using?
I use reward-based marker training. Lots of positive reinforcement, lots of relationship-building/bonding. I focus a lot on choice-based training (cooperative care for grooming, etc.) and creating a large "bank account" of trust with her. For training new behaviors I'm usually doing a combination between luring and shaping, but depending on what it is, I might lean more heavily to one or the other. Sometimes it's fun to train things using purely free shaping as I find it makes both of us think and helps me become more skillful as a trainer (plus it's so fun to watch her puzzle things out.) She's also just really intuitive so I find myself capturing a lot of behaviors she offers on her own while trying to be helpful to me.

To put it succinctly, I really like Kikopup's motto of training "based on science, ruled by ethics."

I think that's great that you're doing so much with Wrecks because you're definitely right that people kinda use "it's a hound" as an excuse not to train them. Sure, certain breeds might be more difficult to train/have advantages and disadvantages re:training them, but that's no reason they can't learn!
>>
File: ultimate pepe.jpg (56 KB, 720x720)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
*taps mike*
AHEM
>FUCK LEASHES
>FUCK TINY-ASS DOGS WITHOUT SOCIAL SKILLS
>FUCK PITMOMMIES
>FUCK OLD LADIES PICKING UP THEIR SHITTY LITTLE YAPPING DOG
>FUCK DEER
>>
File: 337.jpg (281 KB, 1024x682)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>3009854
I've never heard of Kikipup, but I'd say that's my general approach as well.
I'd like to say it's been easy training Wrecks, but as you said everything just reads "It's a hound, you have to live with shit behaviors" which is why I'm working and documenting everything so diligently. I plan on using Wrecks and Copper (a year beagle/foxhound mix, pic related, we adopt him Sunday) as my demo team for obedience classes. I've recently applied to join the CAPPDT (Canadian Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers, Stupid name, great organization) and plan on teaching my own scent hound specific classes this time next year.
>>
File: 20180623_192241(0).jpg (2.04 MB, 2780x1836)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>3009861
That's awesome! I hope you'll post some more of Copper when you get him, too.
>>
File: IMG_20190408_172250981.jpg (1.36 MB, 2494x1613)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>3009865
Absolutely!! I live and breathe for my kids, wife and these dogs. We also have a 15 year old cocker beagle mix, but she was retired from hunting at 11 and basically just sleeps all day after a 10 minute walk to the end of street, or 15 mins of the slowest fetch you've ever seen lol.
>>
File: 20181003_155956.jpg (399 KB, 4160x3120)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
>>3009865
I should also mention seeing your pics of Maple the last year as been a huge inspiration btw. It's likely half the reason I've started taking this so seriously, so thank you anon ^_^
>>
File: 20181024_161644.jpg (3.95 MB, 1308x2149)
3.95 MB
3.95 MB JPG
>>3009871
Aww, she looks like a sweet old dog. Glad she's having a nice retirement.
>>
File: DSCF0593.jpg (3.99 MB, 2304x1728)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB JPG
>>3009872
Aww, thank you anon, that means a lot to me and I'm glad to hear it! <3
>>
File: Eevee's toys 3.jpg (3.11 MB, 4199x3233)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>3009805
>We have a really poor selection of toys at our local pet shop

Do not buy that shit. Research toys on YT and then buy online. I only buy stuff I'd have no problem biting and getting thrown at my mouth (tooth injury!) myself, my /rec/ would be Collar Puller, Flyber and Liker as well as Kong Extreme Flyer and Chuckit! Ultra Ball. That's balls, frisbees and tugs. Covers all you'll need for most dogs. What's also great is playing volleyball with a balloon. Soccer and volleyballs are also all time favourites for most dogs, if your dog busts them, just stuff them with polyester filling from old plush toys through the busted hole.

>>3009805
>File: izzroll.gif (2.49 MB, 600x338)
Great to see the luring worked in teaching Izz the roll.

>>3009847
>Still better than most and all the important stuff is there.

Actually, everything I need is there. When we do nose work where I hide sachets of strong smelling stuff in she environment I can use LEFT!/RIGHT! to steer my dog from far away to the sachet if I want to. Other than that, I use consistent cues like FOOD/WATER/WASH/OUTSIDE/PLAY/TEETH/BRUSH/AWAY/SLEEP etc. to announce what's going to happen... I just do not find any use with stuff like weave... I'll rather spend my time throwing a ball and then do a chasing recall or take a bedsheet, spread food on it, roll it up, tie it in pretzel-knots and let the dog solve the puzzle. Here a story from our early trainings: >>3009010

>>3009861
>I've never heard of Kikipup
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-qnqaajTk6bfs3UZuue6IQ
>>
File: 20190409_133844-min.jpg (3.07 MB, 4240x5664)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
>>3009871
>File: IMG_20190408_172250981.jpg (1.36 MB, 2494x1613)
>Falkor the Luckdragon from The NeverEnding Story

can not unsee/10
>>
File: giphy.gif (980 KB, 500x375)
980 KB
980 KB GIF
>>3009893
You're not the first to notice, but it still puts a smile on my face everytime someone mentions it. She's the best old girl.
>>
File: 20180914_192238.jpg (2.25 MB, 4160x3120)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>3009890
That's great stuff anon. I love doing nose work with my pups, and it helps their hunting during the small game season. We have our first field trials comp the end of May and I'm hoping he stays on task, but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

I'll look into that channel later tonight, thanks for the link.
>>
File: b.jpg (824 KB, 2574x1062)
824 KB
824 KB JPG
>>3009907
>nose work

I do this to discourage my dog from eating shit she finds. Food waste is everywhere. One second not paying attenion and your dog is eating somebody's burger bun. So the idea is, the dog is out, looking for stuff, finds it and then comes back to get a treat/reward FROM ME instead of just eating stuff. Ofc this does not proof against your dog eating something they find but it at least does not set the precedent and pattern that it's just ok to eat what you find like straight out hiding treats would be. Also, because the game pattern is already established and known to her, I can send her out do basically look for anything aywhere...

I will also tempt the dog with bread, burger, hot dog and other likely to be found food and if she does not eat it and instead waits, reward her with really, really good food instead.

>I'll look into that channel later tonight, thanks for the link.

I like this one better though:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSzKlA0XxBLUTvKeFxXkB-w
>>
File: 755.jpg (323 KB, 1024x730)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
>>3009880
This is in the latest batch of photos from Coppers current family. He's one of the most beautiful hounds I've ever seen, but maybe I'm a little bias because I'm counting sleeps like a kid at Christmas. I've wanted a proper team of dogs for a long time.

>>3009918
>discourage my dog from eating shit

I absolutely feel you on this. As much as I strongly believe any breed can be taught to behave, beagles are known as chow hounds or food hounds for a reason. Just getting him to stop trying to steal my childrens food has really been my ultimate test in dog training, but now he just begs in a manner we're okay with atm. He also has a really solid "Leave it", so at least if I'm watching him I can get him to spit it out/not pick it up remotely. I realized the need to strongly reinforce it when he started gobbling up random mushrooms when we're doing field work.
>>
File: 11092018427.jpg (1.2 MB, 2592x1456)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>3009939
>Just getting him to stop trying to steal my childrens food has really been my ultimate test in dog training, but now he just begs in a manner we're okay with atm.

It seems as if dogs have a particular interest in what you are eating, I guess the assumption being that the food you keep for yourself might be better. And in nature and historically that holds true. I find mine likes warm food which I will often indulge. Like putting the meat in aluminium foil and steam-baking it in it's own juice for a few minutes....
>>
File: 866.jpg (293 KB, 768x1024)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
Well Copper went missing from his current owners yard before I could adopt him. They've been looking for 14 hours and I can't even get there to help. I've never felt so helpless, I hope he turns up.
>>
>>3008415
>Im pretty sure >90% of all dogs are alone for more than 5 hours a day here,
so? the majority of dog owneres are bad dog owners.
>Literally who doesn't work at least 6-8 hour days anyway? Are dogs only for neets now?
dogs are family animals, its how they have evolved alongside with humans. leaving your dog alone for the half the day will make him miserable and will likely lead to behavioral issues.
>>
File: 20190416_180858_optimized.jpg (2.25 MB, 5664x4248)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>3010051
is this b8?
>>
File: 649.jpg (435 KB, 731x1024)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
>>3010208
I fucking wish it was bait. I'm devastated and trying to figure out how I'm going to explain to my son someone else lost the dog we're supposed to be going to adopt this Sunday if he doesn't turn back up.
>>
>>3009801
ok?
>>
>>3009791
>What stuff do you already have?
The essential stuff: crate, food, collar, leash, bowls, basic toys. I'm wondering if there's any useful or fun things I might not have thought of.
>>
>>3010400
>>3010400
>I'm wondering if there's any useful or fun things I might not have thought of.

yes, toothbrush, paw balm/musher's secret, nail clippers, fur brush/comb.
>>
File: 1844485-n0.jpg (15 KB, 176x346)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>3010663
>toothbrush
forgot pic
>>
File: Kayla.jpg (328 KB, 2048x1828)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
This is Kayla. Too smart for her own good. Loves fetching sticks, hates balls with a passion.
>>
first time in this general so maybe a question thats been answered a lot but my parents dog turns into a complete shivering cowering panting bitch during thunderstorms. They have 2 other dogs that dont have an issue. Everyone in the house acts calm and we try to project that calmness. Hes 7 years old. Hes been through fuck knows how many storms and nothing has ever gone wrong. it seems like he should have grown out of it but he hasnt. Im actually worried that him hyperventilating for so long might cause him to have some sort of attack. Any advice on how to fix this or is just something you cant change? Weather is supposed to be stormy for a week straight so I dont want him to kill himself by the end
>>
File: 20190425_215733.jpg (1.74 MB, 2000x1520)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>3009939
He is definitely gorgeous! I love his deep red color.

>>3010051
I'm so sorry, I hope they find him! Does he have any kind of ID on him, tag or microchip? That's seriously heartbreaking, I can't even imagine.

>>3010400
I recommend getting:
- Harness (for puppies who haven't learned how to walk on a leash yet this is helpful to avoid injuring their neck if they pull on a collar)
- ID tag(s) for their collar
- Long line
- X-pen
- Dog bed/blankets, something cozy for them to sleep in
- Grooming tools like brushes/combs (depending on what type of coat your dog will have,) shampoo, nail clippers, toothbrush and toothpaste
- Flea/tick preventative
- Training treats
- Chews (bully sticks, pork ears, etc.)

Fun extra/useful stuff:
- Kiddie pool to get them used to water
- Small play tunnel for enrichment/confidence building
- Embark DNA test (if you don't know your puppy's breed makeup it'll tell you, and even if you do it's just as useful because of all the genetic health testing they do, plus it's just neat with the trait testing and contribution to genetic research (if you choose to let them use your dog's data.))

>>3010685
Kayla is adorable!
>>
File: 20190321_170659_HDR.jpg (2.31 MB, 3024x3560)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
>>3010693
Here is a very comprehensive article on dealing with noise/storm fear in dogs. Pretty long read but I HIGHLY recommend it, it's a good read:

https://illis.se/en/nine-ways-to-reduce-firework-and-thunder-phobia-in-dogs/

Also, a pro-tip: if comforting/petting your dog seems to help him calm down during a storm, do it. You can't "reinforce" fear like that. Fear is an emotion, not a choice your dog is making. So if petting or cuddling etc. helps him, do it. (If you'd like to learn more about that, here's a good article that addresses it in-depth: https://illis.se/en/dog-owners-to-pet-or-not-to-pet-during-thunderstorms-or-fireworks/)
>>
>>3010685
>hates balls with a passion

>>3010693
Preemept, prevent, disrupt. As always. Is the dog food motivated? If so, next time the weatherman says it's going to be stormy, maybe feed the dog a bit less or even fast it and then when the storm comes, feed it slowly and by hand. I always cut back on food when I plan important training sessions for my food treats have more effect. If play/toys are more his thing, play with him to take his mind off it instead. The idea is to subsitute a better thing/behaviour like eating/playing for the panicking. Keep highest value treats at hand too if the regular food/toys/play do not/stop working. Bone marrow and heart meat works for mine the best. As it flashes and thunders, shove the food/treat in his mouth. And as always, make sure the dog has previously been exercised and stimulated enough so it's not restless and fully charged when it happens.
>>
>>3010400
Enzymatic cleaner, or at least white vinegar and paper towels or something to clean up mess.

Unless you like sharing your towels with your dog, get a towel to use specifically to dry your pup with.
>>
>>3010799
>- Flea/tick preventative

starting to think this is just a meme. Running K9 Advantix II topic and SCALIBOR Protector Band collars. Still no day without a tick found on my dog.
>>
File: a-dogs-purpose.jpg (310 KB, 1143x643)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20190502_093238557.jpg (1.68 MB, 2448x3264)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>3010799
Thanks anon, I feel like my hearts been ripped out and most of my family aside from my wife can't understand how I'm so emotional over a dog I've yet to meet, but we've been preparing for him for the last 3 weeks with uodate pics every couple of days.
He's microchipped, but his tags where attached to the harness. I feel mostly responsible too, because I mentioned I prefer a harness to collar so they went and bought one for him.
Wrecks being the best boy is dragging his blanket around and laying at my feet, so at least there's some comfort while I tear my hair out.
>>
>>3010802
>you can't "reinforce" fear
Are you retarded or just a shit owner?
>>
File: doggy cross fit supplies.jpg (1.39 MB, 5664x4248)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>3010993
>>3010227
;_;
>>3007185
>>
in less than two weeks, i have to put my dog down.
he's a 13 year old boxer with spine problems that have led to constant incontinence and he's paralyzed from the hips down. he has no quality of life now and i've come to terms that it would be cruel and selfish of me now to try to keep him on this earth any longer.

i'm making his last few weeks as enjoyable as possible. turkey necks, marrow filled bones, tuna in his biscuits, handfed every meal.

my question though is, anything i can do to make the grieving process easier for my mom? she's closer to him than i am, though it breaks my heart, she just feels things more than me maybe.

when our old cat had to similarly be put down due to health issues a few years ago she basically didn't speak to anybody for months, all i could do was not bring up the topic/hide all the cat's things so she wouldn't be reminded and sent into sobbing fits.
>>
>>3011370
Everyone grieves differently but for me I found that going outside for walks helped a lot (though not the same walks that I used to take my dog on.) Being outside in general is a lot better than staying cooped up, and getting exercise tired me out so I could sleep easier at night. Also, talking about it might actually be a good thing even if it makes her cry. Talking and being open with my family while we were grieving made me feel better in the long-run compared to when I was silent and bottling things up.

Obviously you know your mom the best though, no matter what you do it's going to be tough. I'm sorry for your loss anon. Even when it's the right thing to do it's still a horrible feeling.
>>
>>3010946
>K9 Advantix II topic and SCALIBOR Protector Band collars
That is a type of flea/tick preventative you moron.
>>
File: 20190502_005037.jpg (1.93 MB, 2000x2493)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>3010993
I completely understand. I've been planning and preparing for a new puppy for well over a year, found the perfect breeding planned, put a deposit down and have been waiting months for the dog to come into heat and be bred. If after everything, this falls through, I will be completely heartbroken. And this is about a dog that doesn't even exist yet. So I totally get it.

I hope the microchip helps get him found and returned, I've got my fingers crossed for you. Wrecks is such a good boy. Maple is a good comforter when I'm sad, too.

>>3011044
Read the article or at least do some other valid research before you embarrass yourself, anon.

Giving your dog a treat, petting him, offering a toy to play with, or anything else he likes when he's afraid is not going to make him more afraid. That's not how it works. If you're scared of, say, spiders, and every time you see a spider, regardless of your reaction, I give you $10, are you going to become more scared of spiders? No. It may or may not HELP, but it sure isn't going to hurt.

If your issue is more with my wording "you can't "reinforce" fear," well...consider the full quote: "you can't "reinforce" fear LIKE THAT." Sure, you can "reinforce" fear by making a scary thing MORE scary by freaking out/panicking, or by being mean to your dog when they are scared, etc. But, I put "reinforce" is in quotes because the term refers to an increase in a behavior, not an emotion. Fear is not a behavior.
>>
File: 1479667152051.png (466 KB, 595x548)
466 KB
466 KB PNG
I've got an older dog that has a perianal adenoma that has started bleeding a bit tonight
Does anyone else have any experience with these little fuckers?
>>
>>3011370

do not forget to take a lot of HQ pics while he's still here. I always plan on making some but I just can't be arsed to dick around with a phone/camera outside. I'll rather play with my dogs than make faggy pics for my non existant instagram. My folder of Maple pics is larger than my folder of pics of my own dog... that being said, just get another dog to take your mother's mind off him. May sound harsh but when he's dead, he's dead. Ain't no use spending energy on grieving. There is however great use in saving a dog from a shelter...

>>3011800
lemme rephrase:

>I'm starting to think this is just a meme[/sarcasm]. I'm running K9 Advantix II topic and SCALIBOR Protector Band collars both. Still no day goes by without a tick being found on my dog.
>>
>>3010946
From what I've heard, different preventatives are more or less effective depending on your area. You might try ones with different drugs and see if it doesn't help.
>>
>Taking my dog for a walk
>She does her business and I bag it
>Little while later she tries to go again but doesn't pass anything
>Go to walk away and some guy bangs on his window and yells to pick it up
>Tell him there was nothing but couldn't tell if he understood or believed me
This happened a while ago and I still get nervous when I pass by that road.
>>
File: biz.jpg (142 KB, 573x764)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>3009890
Thanks /an/on, I have since bought a collar puller and flyber!

>>3009848
Sorry to hear about your other puppo, hopefully he's found soon! We're working on her- slowly- I just have to keep reminding myself she's only little. We went to our first session of ringcraft this week, and I need to stop comparing her to two-three year old dogs and remind myself she's doing well for her age!

>>3011807

What breed are you getting?

>>3011837
What do you want to know? 5th year vet student here. As you know what it is, I'm guessing you've had it FNA/biopsied. Have you discussed removal with your vets?
>>
>>3011901
Grat, have fun palying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuZ5xsb-Mr8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5W4Hfj2M7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIYFlMFRuVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM8HfrKFrS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8qdsWBlxx8

>>3009848
>>3009848
>He's either full turbo retard or sleeping with very little in-between.

This is my problem too. I try to do thorough warm ups before play and all that by my dog only knows >9000% or sleep. Last fall she ran down a deer and was pissed when it would not play with her. When you go all out, all the time you have to get injured sooner rather than later and if not because you fall, then degnerative wear and tear joint issues will kick in. I try to keep a balanced activity schedule every day so she never builds up energy and frustration but I still always have a bad feeling in my gut...
>>
Just got a 9 week old springer spaniel bitch. For some reason 5 days in I’m heavily depressed about my decision.
It just snapped in me. I’m tired, stressed and haven’t had a moment to myself or go out and it’s already getting to me. I find myself worrying about her 24/7 and it’s eating away at me.

Does it get better bros?
>>
>>3011945

Yes and no.

Yes in that you'll get used to it and will start to enjoy time with your puppy. No in that she's going to be taking up the vast majority of your time for the next few months. You'll be able to leave her for slowly extended periods of time, but at that age they're pretty dependent on you still. Sorry anon, that's puppies for you.

Have you got a buddy/family that can look after her for a few hours? My Mum often took our pup off us for a few hours in the early weeks when she was really full on so me and the other half could go out for coffee. It was only an hour or two but it saved us in the first few weeks when we needed a puppy break.
>>
>>3011950

Yes my mum, I grew up with 2 springers which she still has, they’re just old these days.
Between them they had 4 litters of puppies but I don’t remember them being this difficult to manage.

Worst part is my ex made us rescue a dog last year only to find our he was extremely aggressive due to unspent energy. I found him a home on a farm herding cattle and he’s happy now, but if I give up on this dog I’m going to feel like such a failure.

Honestly feel so low right now. Current gf begged for months for a puppy and I’ve finally given in because it made her happy. We agreed if it caused problems we’d rehome her but she’s attached already despite us having small arguments
>>
File: intredasting-min.jpg (2.71 MB, 5664x4248)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
>>3011945
set up a schedule and slavishly follow it. start the general training, from house training to handling like brushing teeth to recall and everything else. be consistent in everything you do. let your dog develop a routine and a feeling of certainty and safety in it's new home. make use of your mom's dogs for socialization (if yours is vaccinated etc.). expose it to all sorts of things like dogs, cats, rabbits, cars, bikes, strollers, running people, loud noises. if there are puppy classes you could attend, research them and if they are good quality go there.
>>
>>3011901
>As you know what it is, I'm guessing you've had it FNA/biopsied. Have you discussed removal with your vets?
None of that, I just had it diagnosed visually by a shot clinic vet yesterday
I don't know for certain that it's not cancerous, but our bigger concern was the bleeding last night
It doesn't seem to be bothering him but we're worried parents
Should we be concerned about the bleeding or is it normal for this condition?
>>
>>3011965
Have fun with dead dog if gf breaks up with you
>>
>>3011855
Post Dropbox of Maple pics
>>
>>3012104

Based
I’d look after it. When my ex and I got rid of the last dog her lazy parents saw it as an opportunity to give us their dog they didn’t want to look after. Ex couldn’t be bothered with it but I taught it to walk on and off the lead 3 times a day and made it lose 5kg to a healthy weight. When ex left she couldn’t even be bothered to come get her dog I had to take it to her.
>>
>>3011922
He's getting there slowly. I do the same with varied levels of activity throughout our day. Luckily I'm a stay at home dad and can get all my work done after my kids go to bed, so our average day is
>Walk son to school (1 mile)
>Walk 3 miles to dog field
>Spend 1.5-2 hours playing fetch/frisbee with short focused training tossed in (Offlead, Sit, stay, heel, recall etc)
>Walk 3 miles home
>Rest 2-3 hours
>walk mile to pick up son from school and leash train both directions
>walk 1.5-3 miles after supper

Sometimes we run to the dog park, sometimes we HIIT to the dog park because I'm marathon training as well. If you cut any of that routine out look out, because he'll destroy my house.
>>
>>3012068

Firstly - is he entire?

Let me start by saying this- I haven't personally seen/felt the lump, but... As for diagnosis visually- I will be brutally honest with you, you can't diagnose lumps on sight. It might be an adenoma (benign)or it could be an adenocarcinoma (malignant), a cyst, an abscess, a lipoma or hell even a mast cell tumour. You can make an educated guess, which is what your vet has done- but that's what it is, an educated guess. (To be fair to him 80% of perianal tumours in dogs tend to be adenomas, so there's a pretty high chance it's an andenoma).

Now, upon saying that- personally yes I would be concerned that its bleeding. Generally if we leave lumps alone, we're only happy to leave them alone if they're not bothering the animal- I understand he's not bothering him right now, but if it bleeds badly/ starts to ulcerate/break open it will start bothering him.

You have a number of options really. If you want to find out what the lump is that would be an option- you need to go back to your vet and have a discussion about an FNA/biopsy (dependent on the lump this may/may not be possible). I would also have a discussion about what you want to do with this lump. Do you want to get it removed now and find out what it is? Do you want to leave it and see how it goes- but knowing when/if it does start bothering him you'll have to step in then? I don't know the experience of your vet, so if you want it removed, note you may have to be referred for that if they don't feel they have enough soft tissue surgical experience.
>>
I'm trying to potty train a 2 month old dog but no matter what I do he keeps shitting on my floor. I try taking him out every hour or so yet he keeps waiting until we're inside to go. I try rewarding the few times he does go outside with treats and playing with him but its still not helping. Do I just have to keep him crated all day except for going outside?
>>
>>3011945
I feel you. I got an 8 week German Shepherd puppy about a week and a half ago (he'll be 10 weeks tomorrow) and I've been so overwhelmed and exhausted. The despair set in by about the second day. I forgot, of course, how intense young German Shepherds are. My other dogs are an Akita mix, 7 and another GSD, 11, and retiring old men the both of them.

I finally started feeling better a couple of days ago. When I don't want to supervise him, I put the puppy in his crate for an hour or two. I have to anyway to walk the other dogs and so I can sleep at night. Sometimes I give him something to chew instead, or wear him out playing and then keep my ear open for when he wakes up. I just did some training and playing with him with a flirt pole and now he's fast asleep under my chair. When he wakes up, I'll take him out to toilet, then chuck him in his crate for a bit because I want to go have something to eat.

You absolutely forget how much hard work puppies are until you find yourself with another one, and then you remember and curse yourself for ever signing up to this hell all over again.
>>
>>3012468
If you take him out to toilet, and he doesn't do it, crate him immediately upon returning inside, wait ten minutes, then take him back out. Two months is really young, so it might take a while.
>>
>>3011901
Getting another English Shepherd! She'll be slightly related to Maple (distant cousin.) I'm super excited. We'll be going on a road trip to pick her up when the time comes! That's gonna be...somethin.

>>3011945
It's totally normal for people to feel strung out with a new puppy around, especially if it's a little hellion. It does get better. Just try to be patient and if you find yourself getting frustrated or stressed out and needing a break, put your puppy down for a nap. They are like any baby, they need a lot of sleep, more than most people realize, but they aren't always the best at realizing when they need to sleep (just like human children insisting "I'm not tired!!") Sometimes puppies being overtired and overstimulated leads to them going nuts, and it can be helpful to put them in a puppy pen, crate, or quiet room to let them pass out and have a nap for a while. Plus, you get a break then too. And if you need to, see if your mom will take the pup for a few hours so you can have a longer break. It'll be ok, anon. Puppies aren't puppies for long.

>>3012468
At 2 months old he is very young so don't expect too much from him. Potty training is very much just you being vigilant--puppy is either supervised or crated, and taken out frequently on a consistent schedule. You can try to wait him out when you take him outside (take him out on leash and just stand there until he goes, then praise and play) or else do what >>3012574 suggests. It's tedious and may take a lot of patience on your part but he'll get it in due time, don't worry.
>>
I something Knock the back door of my house and my spaniel will sperg out barking. His eyesight is really bad so he can make out a figure through the glass but doesn't recognise it as me. He pulls this weird expression on his face, why does he do this?
>>
>>3012732
>He pulls this weird expression on his face, why does he do this?
It looks like his lips are caught on his teeth, possibly from barking
>>
>>3012137
sounds pretty rad for a beagle.
>>
>>3012732
>His eyesight is really bad so he can make out a figure through the glass but doesn't recognise it as me.

Fucking talk to the dog then? jeezus.
>>
>>3012571
>You absolutely forget how much hard work puppies

in a way, they are worse than a baby. and long term, they are a perpetually 5yo child.
>>
>>3012468
try playing a bit outside and giving it a very watery soup/bone broth to lap up outside. these measures usually get their intestines going.
>>
File: growingup.jpg (167 KB, 917x688)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>3012702

Ah, fantastic!

Does this sound unreasonable to anyone- we moved up to the foundation level kennel club class today. In our class is a chap who has done NO training with his very large five month old dogue de bordeaux/bully type cross. This dog cannot sit, walk, stand - basically it doesn't do anything, I have no idea why it's in the class. It spends its entire time trying to jump on the other pups in the class, and quite honestly with its breed it's an accident waiting to happen.

Add to this the fact that Izzy can already to all the foundation course content- we've asked and have luckily been bumped up a class to start our bronze kennel club training. I was just terrified to be in the same room as that dog- I've had to sedate numerous bully breeds at the vets that have nearly taken mine/my colleagues eyes/arms/fingers off they've been so out of control and this dog is an accident waiting to happen. I spent the entire class trying to avoid it and nearly having a heart attack whenever it went near Izz- I know it's only five months, and not inherently aggressive, but it scares me to see breeds like that in the wrong hands. Am I being a complete over protective idiot?
>>
>>3013172
>Am I being a complete over protective idiot?

Yes. And there is a reason for that. Gut feelings are ALWAYS right. Disregarding it makes you a creationist who does not believe in evolution. When in doubt, go with your gut. Stay safe. Going to another class costs you nothing, not doing so, like you said, may cost you/your puppy an eye.
>>
>>3013172
Take pupper to different class
>>
>>3013177
>>3013178

We've moved her up to the next class along (normally puppies go socialisation - foundation - bronze - silver - gold, but due to this dog we're skipping foundation and going straight to bronze). She already knows enough to pass bronze, so foundation was pretty useless for us in terms of teaching outside of practicing the basics around other dogs, so hopefully we will actually be able to challenge her in bronze.

Sorry, I felt like a right twat wanting to move, but you're bang on. I wish there was some form of regulation that meant anyone wanting to own one of these big powerful breeds had to actually know what they're doing. I'm sure there's some awesome gentle giant dogue de bordeaux out there, but all the ones I've ever met have been owned by plonkers who create a dangerous dog.
>>
>>2998825
My dog has been snapping at me when I try to take her leash off. No warning growls or anything just straight to snapping at me. I don’t think she’s actually trying to bite me because if she wanted to she could. Just warning snaps I guess. She’s about a year old and 75 lbs big girl. Idk what to do because I have to walk her every time she needs to go and now I’m scared to take her leash off. My wife now refuses to walk her. This only started in the last few days but if she bites someone with intent she is gonna do damage. I might have to give her up.
>>
File: Luke.jpg (1.12 MB, 3264x2448)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Is this a cute dog? I was born with no taste.
>>
File: IMG_20190504_125551717.jpg (1.32 MB, 3264x2448)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>3013446
I sure think so. What a cutie.
>>
>>3013530
Glow/10
>>
Been a while /dog/ Zeus is doing very well if anyone was wondering. Here's him sleeping on my body pillow lol.
>>
File: 20190327_172410e.jpg (1.52 MB, 3000x2182)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>3013172
>Am I being a complete over protective idiot?
I wouldn't say so, no! A large breed, over-zealous puppy could easily hurt Izzy even just by accident with her being so much smaller. So if you can't trust that dog's owners to have good control over their dog, it's absolutely reasonable to want Izzy in a different class. Even if that pup doesn't hurt Izzy, he could scare her and since she's a young pup herself that can have a big impact on her social development. There's no reason to risk that, so I think you're being appropriately cautious. Looking out for your puppy should always come first, even if other people think you're being overprotective or rude!

>>3013308
Sudden change of behavior like that, the first thing you should do is see the vet. Sudden snapping like that could be an indicator of pain.

>>3013446
That's a VERY cute dog. Herders are top tier cute in my eyes.

>>3013530
I like his glow collar!

>>3013592
I'm very glad to hear it, anon!
>>
File: 20190503_145025-min.jpg (2.67 MB, 5664x4248)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
>>3013681
>File: 20190327_172410e.jpg (1.52 MB, 3000x2182)

wasted/10

>>3013592
hikkikomori/10

>>3013530
love parade/10

>>3013446
fishing for compliments/10

>>3013308
go see a vet. might have been hurt when somebody was taking the leash off, think poking her in the eye or so. if the vet says everything is fine, try shoving a treat preemptively in her face every time you deal with the leash.

>>3013172
>>
>>3013688
>fishing for compliments/10
well of course
>>
What's the best way train a puppy with chewing. I've tried not giving him attention once he starts biting but he Ms still going absolutely apeshit with his mouth open biting anything and anyone he can touch and bites down increasingly hard. I've tried like 6 different chew toys and he's ignored all of them except for one with a water bottle in it but he still ended up leaving it alone after like 2 minutes
>>
File: 076016_1.jpg (427 KB, 1000x1000)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>3014065

give it ice cubes or frozen seedless water melon to lick - in case it's a teething puppy. pic related is nice too because you can jam food paste (watered and mashed kibble with a bit of extra fat, or watered and finely mashed wet food - the consistency of creamy peanut butter is what you want and you could use that too but I think it's junk food so I do not) in there and the dog will lick/chew it out of those holes. only do this supervised and pick the right size to avoid swallowing/choking.
>>
>>3014065
>>3014084
if the dog is biting people, prevent that and disrupt it and offer a substitute behaviour/activity. like playing a bit of tug with a plush toy/throwing a ball etc. - do not let your dog rehearse and get better at unwanted behaviours.
>>
File: IMG_20190426_063753453.jpg (1.78 MB, 3264x2448)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
>>3013688
I've always been a sucker for herding breeds. 14/10 good doggo for sure.

>>3013681
I like his glow collar!

Thanks, they're a necessity here in the backwoods at night. Sometimes we're 10-15 miles from the nearest street light.

I love crashed out puppers, they're cutest when they're sleeping or exhausted.

Sleepy/10
>>
File: 20181225_193655.jpg (2.32 MB, 4032x3024)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
Please advise fr/an/s

About two years ago, I moved from Ohio to California for grad school/work. It was an extremely tough choice in almost every way, but especially because I couldn't take my dog year one. He is a shepard/corgi mix, and although I always assumed his breed would work in a apartment, he is literally the highest energy dog I have ever encountered, trainers and vets alike agree.

Because I had to slum it, he has been staying with my loving parents and their lab on about 2 acres of land where he hunts, sprints, and plays for 8 hours a day. I love and miss him dearly, and now have finally done well enough for myself to bring him out.

The problem is, it will be about another 6 months before I can afford a house with a yard, and I need to move now. I am taking a 2 BR lower floor unit, he has an ESA letter and can come. But there is no yard, and he is still super high energy at 6 years old, and a loud barker.

At this point I still don't know if it is fair to him to bring him out to a totally different life. I feel selfish for having to leave him, but selfish for trying to squeeze him into a small space. I can pay for daycare, walking, parks, etc, and make my own hours. I feel like if I wait another year hes basically not even my dog anymore, and I really miss having a pet.

Should I make the leap? Any with experiences in this? I would get him another trainer out here as well to help him acclimate.

pic very related
>>
>>3014488
>ESA letter
Oh go fuck yourself
>>
>>3014557
>Paying for one of the few dog friendly apartments in my area that all are run amok with shit owners and animals

Blame the system, and go fuck yourself
>>
File: 8995930698469057743.jpg (56 KB, 960x540)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>3014371
Sleepy, blissed out doggies are best doggies

>>3014488
How close of a relationship do you have with him? Dogs are amazing at adapting to their surroundings, so I'm sure if you are dedicated to meeting his needs, he can thrive living in an apartment with you. If he has a very close bond with you, I'd be inclined to say you should bring him out with you. At the very least, you could do a trial period where you have him live with you for a month or two and reassess how he's doing then
>>
>>2998825
What breed of dog would look the closest to this art?
It looks so cute!
>>
File: 20190318_124451-min.jpg (1.31 MB, 4240x5664)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>3014488
>2 acres of land where he hunts, sprints, and plays for 8 hours a day
>I would get him another trainer

leave the dog with your parents. you're already planning on introducing other people to help with the dog, might as well leave him with known folk, in a known place which sounds good anyway. sort yourself out and then revisit the idea.

>>3014757
>he can thrive living in an apartment with you

can. yes. but it's a hassle. going for a piss/shit every 4hrs is a chore in a commie block 5th story or so...
>>
File: DSC_1598.jpg (2.91 MB, 3008x2000)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
Merle has officially started his diet. I didn't realize quite how calorie dense his new food is and he's jumped from 68 lbs (ideal weight according to vet) to 75 in the last four months.

We're starting to get some decent harvests from the garden and the vet said if we can goad him into eating some veggies from it we can use those to bulk out his now 2 cups of food/day without increasing the calories much.
>>
>>3014488
>I can pay for daycare, walking, parks, etc,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wMm0NNQyac

thoughts?
>>
>>3014826
>bulk out his now 2 cups of food/day

don't forget to cycle calories, otherwise, within a week or so he'll have completely adjusted his metabolic rate and weight loss will be slow. do refeeds every 3-4 days depending on progress.
>>
File: IMG_20190502_105517605.jpg (2.69 MB, 3264x2448)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
>>3014562
Most states (and countries) don't extend the same rights to your cuddle buddy as they do to legit service dogs. I can take Wrecks anywhere, grocery shopping, the theater, restaurants etc because he's a service dog in training (GSAR HDR Canada). An ESA paper gets you none of those privileges here, and basically allows you on public transportation without hassle and nothing more.
>>
>>3014848
wait, does the cocker beagle mix not have a tail?
>>
File: IMG_20190502_105501969.jpg (2.73 MB, 3264x2448)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
>>3014857
No she doesn't. She was a puppy mill rescue and it had been cut with garden shears as far as the vet can tell before we got her. It took a lot surgical correction to end her constant nerve pain, but it's been corrected since she's been about 3. If any strangers get to close to her stump she still snaps at them, but we don't blame her.
We adopted her after the mill was shut down and the local shelters were overwhelmed with the dogs and puppies.
>>
File: LONG.jpg (1.85 MB, 2401x4377)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>3014892
;_;
>>
>>3014562
Go die and you don't deserve a dog
>>
>>3014848
ESA's don't have access rights, meaning they don't give you transportation rights.
>>
File: sdfasf.png (1.08 MB, 591x593)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
It's a little over 6 months since we got Ravioli and he's been much more confident lately. I noticed he never used to open-mouth pant, even when he'd been running around and playing for hours, but he just started doing it a couple of months ago. Maybe because it's been warming up or something, I dunno, but he just seems so much happier now than when we first got him. Still whines about everything though, but I guess that's just a hound thing for you

/blog
>>
File: sfsawewsd.png (920 KB, 598x595)
920 KB
920 KB PNG
>>3009848
>Teaching Wrecks stay has been the hardest thing for us so far. I think it just goes against beagle instinct to stay still
Can fucking confirm. Why say still when you could be wandering around to SNIFF? I don't feel confident having Ravi off leash because of this, kind of a bummer because I'd love to be able to walk around reliably with him free, but I'm not sure it'll ever happen. They're so stubborn.
>>
Is there a list of all the regular dog names that visit here?
>>
>>3014757
>>3014823
>>3014830
Appreciate the advice, it is a lot to consider.
I know dogs adapt, and he and I are very close. I got him right after a close family member and my first dog died a week apart. My then GF and I got him in a big house I lived in with a bunch of college friends, and so we were very reliant on each other. Unfortunately (and partly reason for the ESA stuff), I also was going through some pretty bad BPD throws, and I think my anger and anxiety probably rubbed off on him. He is extremely indepedent and a bit paranoid just like, but very loving, and Im the only person he fully listens too.

Anyways, appreciate the blogging, it is going to have to be something I make an objective and responsible decision about very soon.
>>
>>3015639
Wrecks is great off lead unless there are other dogs he doesn't know around, in which case he instantly turns deaf and wants to play with them. It's been a lot of work to get him prepped for off lead. We started by doing most of his long lead training in the woods, so he's super used to paying attention to me while having a ton of nose distractions.
>>
File: image.jpg (1003 KB, 1551x1280)
1003 KB
1003 KB JPG
>>3016047
>>3015639
>>3009848

you have to find what the dog likes best and then use that to train the recall. if it's food, you that. there is nothing wrong with using your dog's whole daily ration for training. if it's play use that. throwing balls/frisbees is rewarding for a dog but the catch is that the primary reinforcement happens out there, far away from you as the dog catches the toy. If I fuck up a few frisbee throws and my dog does not catch them, she will literally start to protest - telling you what the important part of the exercise is: the catch. that happening far away from you makes the game less than ideal for building the strongest possible attachment of the dog to you. That's why I like the PULLER so much. I can tug and run with the dog as I hold on to it and all the reinforcement is happening with me being right there. I'm part of the toy, the playing, all the action. ofc any plush toy can do that too. I've seen a noticeable increase in the tendency of my dog to stay with me when distractions were around since we started playing like this.
>>
My two year old dog has suddenly started toileting inside. Several times this week she has pooped inside overnight and today I caught her peeing on the rug. She had been fully housebroken since she was 18 weeks old this has come out of nowhere. We have a doggy door so she can go out whenever. Why has she suddenly stopped going out?
>>
File: IMG_20190501_112954259.jpg (3.74 MB, 3264x2448)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
>>3016059
Beautiful pupper you have.

Wrecks' recall is really good, outside of there being new dogs around, but we're working hard on that now. Luckily I have a ton of forest around no one uses, and can call him off deer, rabbit, pheasant and chipmunks no problem at all. His prefered reward is a stick for him to carry for a few minutes, he's the strangest fucking scent hound ever.

It's stay I just can't get. It's starting, and we're still working super hard at it, but at this rate of progress he's going to be 5 before we break the 30 second mark.
>>
>>3016180
I play tug and shit with him all the time as a reward too. It was way easier training are typical food driven blonde hound honestly.
>>
>>3016059
Yeah sometimes his recall is good, if I have treats (food is really the only thing he gives a shit about) it's like a 99% success rate. If I have nothing to offer him, he just won't come if he doesn't see a reason to. He does always stay where he can see me, thankfully, but if there's something he's busy with and I don't have a treat reward, he's like, "what, i'm like 30 feet away from you, that's close enough" and just ignores me. My guess is it's just one of those things that takes a shitload of practice with.
>>
>>3016257
the idea of Operant conditioning is to pair the verbal command with a treat to where the action of following the command itself becomes pleasureable to the dog simply because of the time proximity of command given, command followed and treat. in the beggining you treat every execution and later you dial it down. I currently treat 1/3 of positive recalls. the fact that you have to lure the dog with food means you are at the very beginning of training. I'd suggest starting from 0 with a drag line and high value reinforcement (treats/play depending on dog)...
>>
Is ASPCA the same kind of charity as PETA? Is it as trustworthy?
>>
>>2998825
A dog bit me Saturday. Small little yappy one. I was wearing jeans. It wasn't wild, my job has me deliver to people's doors. It left a bruise but there was a small abrasion in the center. It scabbed over. Should I have seen a doctor sooner?
>>
So my mother god a dog just before I went to uni, it's half chihuahua and half pug, and he's dumb as shit. He's approaching a year old and my mom has made no fucking attempt at training and just passively yells at him whenever he barks or harasses our cat. He also pisses and shits everywhere and it makes the house smell fucking disgusting because my mom refuses to take him outside.
I've never had an indoor dog, and I don't want one, but how the hell do I get started training a dog? I just came back home for the summer and I'm already sick of the smell and barking.
>>
>>3017007
>because my mom refuses to take him outside

Pls G-d no!
>>
>>3017009
We have a huge spacious yard and live in a rural area, there's no reason he shouldn't be outside even when he is a small dog.
He doesn't use the pads and the house smells like shit, I want to start taking him outside to use the bathroom.
I have quite literally zero experience with dogs and am pretty clueless.
>>
>>3017010
>there's no reason he shouldn't be outside

that was my point. small dogs need to go outside too, the only thing you need to do is worry about birds maybe snatching them up but if you do your part, that should not be a problem. dog training is easy today, there are a lot of trainers on YT making vids for free:

https://www.youtube.com/user/zakgeorge21/featured?disable_polymer=1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSzKlA0XxBLUTvKeFxXkB-w
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-qnqaajTk6bfs3UZuue6IQ

getting the dog house trained would be done like this:

>put dog on feeding schedule
>take dog outside every full hour
>reward when it does its bizniz with treats and play
>after some time you'll have figured out a routine
>>
>>3017007
I think you are to dumb for uni
>>
>>3016554
jesus christ you pansy
>>
Don't be insecure owners, anons. It fucks your dog up.

>Dating girl
>Start taking her dog to park while she's at work
>She warns me that large dogs make her dog nervous
>Dog is fine, completely ignores other dogs and just wants to play fetch ceaselessly
>Even when other dogs have their noses up her butthole she just patiently waits for me to throw the ball again
>Never have any problem
>GF has day off work
>Comes to park with me and doggo
>GF is clearly nervous
>Dog picks up on it
>Dog gets nervous, touchy, starts snapping when other dogs come close
>>
>>3017220
Sounds correct
>>
File: 1557208420106.png (103 KB, 680x680)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
I have a small 2 year old Rat terrier who keeps coughing/choking anytime he

>is very excited to see me and jumps on me
>wakes up
>drinks too fast after a walk

I went to two different vets. One gave him a shot, while the other said it was kennel cough and fed him medicine. Neither worked and it's been 3 months. The coughs are a little violent and lasts at least 25+ seconds. What do?
>>
>>3017591
>What do?
>caughs after drinking

see a third vet. might be a semi-collapsed trachea, can happen from violent leash jerking/genetic predisposition. use a harness.

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/tracheal-collapse-dogs#1
>>
File: IMG_20190222_175256.jpg (3.43 MB, 4032x3024)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
Golden retrievers are such good dogs man , she's only 6 months old and so so obedient
>>
>>3002478
how many cats do you own?
>>
Dog had another funny turn

His time is coming.
>>
Looking for suggestions for large breed puppy/dog foods, preferably NOT grain-free
>>
>>3018259
Just one
>>
new thread

>>3018399
>>
>>3000476
Get some Michael Ellis videos. Start with:
The power of trainig dogs with food
The power of playing tug with your dog

Those videos are each 5 hours long. He has a bunch of free videos on Leerburg too.
>>
>>3004281
Feed your female dogs cranberries. It decreases the acidity of their urine. Males don't usually turn the grass brown.
>>
>>3011965
If you buy a puppy you keep it for life. You and gf made an agreement to rehome your dog before you even purchase it as a puppy? You sound irresponsible. Don't you have a contract with the breereder?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.