[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>your pet will never grow old with you
>your pet will never be your oldest and dearest friend
>your pet will never put you to sleep with soothing sounds at night as you rest after a long and productive career

Why anyone would want something besides a bird is beyond me.
>>
>your pet will never go insane because it wants to fuck you
>your pet will never mutilate itself irreparably because you aren't with it 24/7
>your pet will never wake you and your neighbors up at the crack of dawn by screaming loud enough to rip a hole in the fabric of spacetime.
>Your pet will never chew the fuck out of doorframes and walls and just generally ruin the house.
>your pet will never be thrown into a rescue or new owner after being emotionally crushed after you die and be a nightmare for whoever the next owner will be
Birds are great, but there's a reason I went with a muscovy.
>>
People are just irresponsible fucks.
They prefer chemical weapon smelling litter boxes and replaceable pets.
>>
>>2964208
I have a parrot for 20 years and I've never had any of those issues
>>
>>2964202
How long does a bird work? Because I was always under the impression that they only function for a short span of time before they break down and have to be replace.
>>
>>2964227
You what m8? Some birds can live 50 years...
>>
>>2964233
Macaws usually get into the 80s
>>
>>2964202
Stop shilling birdpill. This is for elite patricians only.
>>
>>2964261
This, spreading the birdpill will only make dumb fucks kill more brids
>>
>>2964261
>>2964306
this fellow elite bird pillers
>>
>>2964227
20 to 80, depending on the species.
>>
>forcing a small, long-lived animal to be your prisoner in a tiny cage for decade after decade after decade
>you die
>your little prisoner dies a cruel, terrifying death of starvation and or dehydration
>this is love
Wew
>>
I have an african grey and I love her
But I won't recommend birds to anyone.
It's cruel.
She has a big aviary and can fly, but 90% of birds are stuck in a small cage for their whole lives. It's soul crushing
>>
>>2964495
>not having someone you can trust a bird
>>
>>2964495
you can actually domesticate it without putting it in a small cage for the rest of it's life
>>
>>2964772
People usually put birds in cage at night. Imagine your son not responding to "Respond to this post, or your parents will die in their sleep", and you die. In the morning bird would be locked in cage.
>>
>>2964777
I can't take risks.
>>
I bet your all fucking hippocrits talking about caring for your birbs. youre all probably chomping on some chicken or duck right now. you arent birb lovers
>>
>>2964202
some parrots can live aslong as humans
>>
>>2964790
Dude, even parrots like chicken.
>>
>>2964797
how would yoy like it if my peregrin falcon ate your budgie
>>
>>2964799
Weird joke that I wouldn't understand.
>>
>>2964801
what? its not a fucking joke.
>>
>>2964804
I never had budgies tho...
>>
>>2964799
You're operating on fucking alien moon logic.
>>
>>2964777
My bird has a sleeping cage, he loves it. He eats and sleeps there, that's about it
>>2964790
My bird once took a bite of my crispy chicken wing. It was hilarious and we both laughed, but Im the only one who knows why
>>
>>2964809
>>2964806
fuck off. fake bird lovers.
>>
File: img_0194.jpg (141 KB, 730x547)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
Bloody pests
>>
>>2964814
I love all sorts of birds. Alive, breaded, grilled, boiled...
Breaded and grilled are good to eat.
Boiled are good for soup.
Alive are good as pets
>>
>>2964850
Id pay you to eat these ones.
>>
>>2964772
Parrots aren't domesticated. You won't manage it in a single human lifetime more, either.
>>
>>2964864
Which one? Not all of them are edible tho.
>>2964868
Budgies, lovebirds and cockatiels are indeed domesticated.
>>
>>2964868
>>2964871
Also, parrots can be domesticated, since they get mature pretty early, somewhere in 2-3 years or so.
There were people, who managed to selective-breed completely red african grays...
>>
>>2964871
ringtailed parakeeta
>>
>>2964871
No, they literally are not domesticated.
>>
>>2964495
my birds are allowed out of the cage at all times
I have a lot of houseplant and i've created a jungle of non-toxic houseplants they play in

they get hours of natural light every day, and at night time they're free to sit under my anti-depression lamp.

i buy them the finest snacks and foods and they sing all the time.

i am scared of what would happen to them if i died suddenly and my parents had to take them
>>
>>2964777
Smh clever trips
>>
>>2965044
Budgies and other cockatiels are indeed domesticated.
>>
>>2964777
>>
>>2964777
>>
>>2964202
>your pet will never put you to sleep with soothing sounds at night as you rest after a long and productive career
lel
I misinterpreted and thought you meant you wanted to be euthanized by your pet
>>
>>2964495
Responsible parrot owners don't keep their birds in their cages. It's standard to let parrots out of their enclosure for much of the day every day. The average home has plenty of hiding spots, space, food and playthings to keep parrots entertained and happy.

The thing is, you can tell very easily if a parrot is often stressed. Many parrots are perfectly happy living with their owners.
>>
>>2964202
>Not getting a tortoise or rock iguana.
>>
>>2966421
>not finding a rock in your backyard
>>
File: YouDontNeedToBuyBirds.png (2.18 MB, 1918x1078)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB PNG
>>2964208
fpbp
>>
>>2964208
Most of these can be avoided by getting a small parrot. Larger parrots are only for owners with a very specific lifestyle. A small parrot can be every bit as entertaining for the average joe.
>>
>>2968588
Even small parrot will be noisy, and will destroy everything.
>>
>>2964202
turtles nigga
>>
>>2964777
my mother doesn't have a bird, but her cat is currently at the vet, let's hope she can pick him up tomorrow
>>
are domesticated owls are thing?
>>
File: cockthumb.jpg (67 KB, 526x526)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
What's the average lifespan for cockatiels in captivity?
My dad's had one for 10 years or more now I think and she's still not dead.
>>
>>2969368
10-20 years.
It depends on many factors, which are unpredictable.
>>
File: 1362513065545.png (135 KB, 480x1240)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>2966400
>your parrot will never gas you for being a degenerate
JDIMSA
>>
>>2969420
kek. i actually wouldn't mind teaching my parrots to talk like that.
>>
>>2969420
>>your parrot will never gas you
Technically, they can chew through flexible gas pipe...
>>
>got two cockatiels
>can't kill myself now
what was I thinking
>>
>>2969520
This. I haven't suicided yet only because I have a parrot...
>>
>>2969520
Exactly my problem, but they're not even my birds, I'm just the one who actually takes care of them.
>>
>>2969390
>unpredictable
Most of them are just a good food, exercise, fresh air and not too much stress.
>>
Does anybody take their birb out into nature? Like road trip camping somewhere, not just hanging around in the backyard? Do birds stick close to you or do they just wander off?
>>
>>2969582
I took my parrot once for a long trip. He was in carrier all the time tho, since he can't into reliable recalls yet.
>>
>>2969569
There is a problem with cockatiels, budgies and other more-less domesticated parrots. Their parents might be siblings, which is bad for overall longevity.
>>
>>2969582
>>2969601
My neighbour always had this cute budgie bird that would just sit and walk around the grass in the front of her gate, whenever she took her rabbits out of their cages for a while. She just let the rabbits roam around for a while, the budgie was just there on the grass, minding his own business, never attempted to fly away, just walking, sitting, looking around. Her small dog was out with them as well, they all seemed to get along just fine. I always found that really weird.

When her blue budgie died, she got a yellow-green one, and that budgie ended up doing exactly the same thing as the last one, never flying away, always calmly walking through the grass, got along with both the rabbits and the dog, etc. Was this old lady some sort of druid or just really good at bonding and training or whatever you wanna call it?
>>
>>2964208
>a muscovy

As a pet?
>>
>>2964202
Mine is a nasty biter, still loves flying to my hair though.
>>
>>2969420
Why is he soluting with his left wing?
Everyone knows nazi's were right wing
this comic was made by a retard
>>
>>2969629
I guess she had trained it recalls, dunno.

My parrot nearly flew away once.
Door was open for some reason, and it had a curtain covering it. Retarded grey nigger decided to fly into curtain for some reason, and he ended up on a porch. He was confused by this (since he probably hit something, idk). I never ran that fast in my life...
>>
don't even bother just save your money
>>
>>2969420
True feels
>>
File: 1553282021698.jpg (33 KB, 640x640)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>2965048
>i am scared of what would happen to them if i died suddenly and my parents had to take them

Fucking this.

What plants do you have around, and how do you keep them from being exposed to the soil? I've been wanting to do this for a good while but haven't gotten many clear answers, I'm excited to see someone who has a good setup.
>>
>>2964777

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.