[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: monitor lizard.png (584 KB, 660x456)
584 KB
584 KB PNG
Why don't more people own exotic pets? Domestic cats and dogs are so typical. Everybody has one of those.
>>
File: 1541898182096.png (80 KB, 1247x729)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>>2964040
>why aren't more people attentionwhores
>>
>your ancestors spent tens of thousands of years breeding the perfect pets, cats that are affectionate and keep your home free of pests and dogs which love you and protect your family when you're not around
>you insist on getting some weird shit pet like a hamster or a rabbit, an ugly bug , emotionless reptile or fish, or a fucking bird

Explain yourself, traior
>>
>>2964040
Nice bait Anon. Here's your (You).
>>
>>2964127
Cats: Invasive man-made vermin that are little serial killers and kill not just pests, but any small moving animals
Dogs: Annoying and bark at everything, some breeds are even violent and stupid like the people that breed them
>>
Because most people can't even care for a cat properly.
>>
>>2964045
Are you implying anyone that gets something different from the standard cat or dog is an attention whore?
>>
>>2964040
Because CITES and other faggotary.
>>
>>2964045
I just like exotic animals because they are more unique. Cats and dogs are everywhere and more typical.
>>
>>2964234
You're fucking disgusting
>>
>>2964235
How so? Cats and dogs are boring pets.
>>
Can someone explain to me the appeal of owning an exotic pet that probably hate being around you for kidnapping them away from their home?
>>
>>2964127
Rabbits have also been domesticated and bred to have better temperaments and to be cuter.
Lots of birds are smarter than dogs and cats by a very significant margin.
>>
Does a betta fish count as exotic? I live alone in an apartment and it would be unfair to keep a dog/cat there if I'm gone most of the time.
>>
Some people have different preferences man. A better question is why are you placing emphasis on the uniqueness of the animal rather than the animal itself? That's a pretty damn shallow reason to want a specific pet.
>>
>>2964250
OP did not specify wanting a specific pet
He gave a reason for not wanting a cat or dog
>>
>>2964160
You sound like a mentally deranged freak. Cats and dogs are a testament to the sovereignty of mankind over nature.

Dogs are dependent on humans to be clean, disease free and disciplined, but they are very loyal, useful for personal protection, property guards, hunting, shepherding, bomb and drug sniffing, etc. But more than a tool, they are a friend. They would die to save you if possible. The dog is an amazing friend, a trusty tool, a sentient weapon. The K9 is the soldiers most important asset, it is not easily replaceable.

Cats are misunderstood in the common era. Cats are independent, but they have an ancient contract with humans: we provide shelter, the cat hunts and kills vermin that would spoil our crops - rats, grasshoppers, small birds, etc.
Cats are associated with high production in agriculture (the civilised man's foodsource), decreased mortality from disease (cats are immune to many human diseases, so they kill infected rats but arent themselves vectors), and guardians of the dead (cats disregard the human corpse when they can chase the vultures). Cats are extremely clean, independent and associated with higher quality of health.
>>
>>2964260
Cats kill billions of small animals per year and are the 2nd leading cause of extinction right behind humans. They caused the extinction of many birds, etc. What's worse about cats is they don't just kill for food, but for FUN. They are little serial killers that torture and kill any small animals for fun.

We don't need Dogs in the modern era either for 'protection' since most dogs don't actually protect, but harm innocent civilians, or are a nuisance with their barking at everything.
>>
>>2964250
This.

I own an exotic but I didn't get it for being unique. I got it for looking cool and being lower maintenance than a dog or cat.

The need to feel unique is as plebeian as the need to conform.
>>
>>2964257
I'm not using specific to single out one particular animal, I'm trying to point out that focusing so much on an animal's unique factor is retarded. In all honesty I probably should've just stuck with the word exotic. That being said, the guy is more or less asking why people don't go for the niche pet because the popular pets are popular.
>>
>>2964040
>Why don't more people own exotic pets?
They serve no purpose other than being a waste of money.
>>
>>2964302
Not if you enjoy them.
>>
>>2964260
Only a tiny part of the people who own dogs use them for protection or any important task.
For most people a dog is a breathing plush.
The same thing applies for cats, but tenfold.
>>
>>2964305
You can also enjoy more conventional pets that also have a working purpose unlike exotics.
>>
>>2964317
Not that anon but most pets today don't really serve a purpose. We now live in a world where people whine about how their working breed dog has too much energy because they can't be bothered to work the animal.
>>
>>2964321
>today don't really serve a purpose.
Rather that is to say they no longer serve their intended purpose in most cases of the modern day.
>>
>>2964217
You are if literally the sole reason you're getting them is because cats and dogs are too popular
>>
I own a dog, a budgie, a cockatiel, a duck, and a tortoise
>>
>>2964323
Either you've mistaken me for OP or I've mistaken your original point. I'd assumed you meant that the only reason to get an exotic was for attention.
>>
>>2964219
Cities faggotry pisses me off. Especially when it's on relatively common species in captivity.
>>
People Jews trick people into thinking cats and dogs are easier to take care of than fish or reptiles etc. or even most any pasture ornament. They might not be very cuddly but they’re also not as fucking needy.
>>
>>2964341
I wasn't the anon you were responding to originally, but he was clearly responding to OP.
>>
Cats and dogs are tried and true. People keep pets that make good fucking pets what the fuck holy autism.
>>
>>2964403
It doesn't stop them from typical. We won't know what else is tried and true if we stick to the same old boring toxocats and dogs.
>>
>>2964417
We won't exactly entice people to try new things if we shit on what we know works. Calling people's pets boring will just make you come off as a cunt.
>>
>>2964040
Exotics
>higher expenses
>pain in the ass to find a vet that knows about that kind of exotic
>not much experience with captivity, might suffer its whole life from some yet unknown factor
>chance that there are still people that are catching wild individuals and eventually causing the extinction of the species by supporting the trend
>people might think your pet is cool

Dogs and cats
>don't need an enclosure, just live right next to you in the house
>no problems finding good food and good vets
>domesticated
>shitload of experience about them as pets
>fellow mammals you can communicate and empathize with really good
>people might think your pet is boring
>>
>>2964234
>>2964237
Sounds like a special snowflake excuse desu senpai.
>>
>>2964475
Why not get a cative breed exotic animal? More reptiles like Leopard Geckos, Blue Tongue Skinks, Bearded Dragons, etc have been captive breed for years and are a lot more known.
>>
>>2964643
I'd rather get an exotic plant.
>>
>>2964262
A dog is a more effective deterrent of crime than locks, cameras or a firearm

Most burglars puss out of robbing a house if they hear a dog behind the door
>>
File: 1491005349281.jpg (224 KB, 1361x793)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>Why would you want an animal that's well-suited to human companionship when some other kind of weird animal can make you "unique" and special as a person?

I can't decide whether you're too self-absorbed to be trusted with any pets at all, exotic or otherwise, or if a pet to pull you out of yourself is exactly what a self-absorbed dork like you needs.
>>
File: 1521154929176.png (196 KB, 592x697)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
>>2964040
>>
>>2964040
I have a turtle does that count? He likes chin rubs.
>>
>>2964656
Vegans with cats?
>>
>>2964388
Why would jews do that?
>>
>>2964652
What he needs is good old fashioned bullying. Worked back in my day when you wanted to discourage faggots from being obnoxious in an attempt to be super speshul.
>>
>>2964663
nah, she got a fennec fox.
>>
>>2964646
This.
>>
theyre incredibly expensive and difficult to care for
especially monitor lizards which also need attention since theyre actually intelligent
>>
>>2965129
What did she do to it exactly?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (169 KB, 1280x720)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>2965473
got a fennec fox and fed it a vegan diet
>>
>>2965475
But why?
>>
File: Untitled.png (584 KB, 533x944)
584 KB
584 KB PNG
>>2965586
because she's vegan
>>
>>2964040
Reptilefags need to be gassed.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.