[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Saw this bird outside my school yesterday, flew from my schools roof to the opposing embankment. Kinda just looks like a weird pigeon, but idk.
>>
and why is it wearing mismatched anklets?
>>
It's a pigeon
>>
>>2957949
Im not sure, idk who would have tagged it. Didn’t get close enough to see if there was any writing on them
>>
>>2957949
I only noticed it cause I heard a weird bang from the roof as it took off, like it didn’t know how to fly well and hit the gutter or something
>>
File: yep-thats-a-pigeon.jpg (63 KB, 526x395)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>
It's an ordinary pigeon. They have a lot of colour variations, and I've seen a couple of wild pigeons that look very much like that one.

I'm not sure about the bands on its legs, though. Sometimes they can mean that the bird is a racing/homing pigeon, and the information on the rings can help you find its owner. But it might also be a wild pigeon that's been tagged by an ornithologist. Wild birds are banded so that when they end up caught again, the information on their band can help people learn more about bird migration routes or lifespans.
>>
>>2958018
Thank you
>>
>>2958018
>It's an ordinary pigeon.
Well, rude, you don't know this pigeon's life. Maybe he was the smartest guy in his class. How embarassed wold you feel if this was actually a prince amongst doves and then you just treated it like a common sky-dweller. Why, you should be ashamed of your words, young man.
>>
Thats a pigeon.
>>
General descriptive searches aren't giving me any results.
>>
>>2958163
My best guess is Abyssinian ground hornbill (female) but interested if anyone has any other thoughts
>>
>>2958167
Nice, thanks.
>>
File: 1546923370772.png (80 KB, 184x184)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>>2957968
the sides
>>
>>2957947
Eagle
>>
>>2958261
I thought so!
>>
racing homer pigeon. possibly a tumbler.
>>
File: pigeons.jpg (71 KB, 850x598)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>2958045
My apologies for the poor bird. And if I'm entirely honest, OP's pigeon does look prettier than an ordinary pigeon IMO. The last time I saw a pigeon with similar colours, I thought it looked unusually pretty and took photos of it for that reason.

Its buddies had some neat diverse colours too, instead of sporting that generic grey pigeon look. I'm still kinda upset that I only had an old cellphone at the moment and couldn't get any better-quality photos of that group of pigeons.
>>
>>2958600
Your image 404s
>>
>>2957947
looks like a pretty normal pigeon to me, if you live in a city you get to see all kinds of markings. the prettiest one i've ever seen was white with a copper neck and coverts. he was one of the fattest i've seen too, from people feeding him because he's so pretty i guess.
>>
>>2957949
>>2957956
>>2957958

it's part of a study. they color code birds to easily identify them without having to recapture them.
>>
>>2961246
it's also for catch and release population estimation.
>>
>>2960126
too skinny to be a culver or a rock dove whilst the anklets suggest hes not feral but a domestic pigeon; either a homing pigeon or racing homer

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.