[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 101 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: eskimo.jpg (57 KB, 500x590)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Dog General - Miniature Eskimo Edition

Old Thread: >>2944392

>The American Eskimo Dog is a breed of companion dog, originating in Germany. The American Eskimo is a member of the Spitz family. The breed's progenitors were German Spitz, but due to anti-German sentiment during the First World War, it was renamed "American Eskimo Dog". Although modern American Eskimos have been exported as German Spitz Gross (or Mittel, depending on the dog's height), the breeds have diverged and the standards are significantly different. In addition to serving as a watchdog and companion, the American Eskimo Dog also achieved a high degree of popularity in the United States in the 1930s and 1940s as a circus performer.

Dog food review site - https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Puppy guide - http://drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=1449

Discord link goes to /an/cord's dog hub:
https://discord.gg/3xGbBG2

>What should I feed my dog?
>What breed of dog should I get?
>How do I train my dog?
>Rate my dog!
>Should I bring my dog to a vet?
>What breed is my dog?
>What toys should I get my dog?
>My dog is doing x, what do I do?
>Where do I get a dog?
>How do I take care of a puppy?
>How do I house train a dog?
>Can my dog eat this?
>Let me blog post!
And much more!
>>
>>2954879
Rate my pupper
>>
File: 2glory.jpg (82 KB, 428x500)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>tl;dr Gonna get a dog, dog breed recs?

I've finally managed to pay off my student loans, and in 4 months or so I'll be getting a car and moving to a small city (as opposed to the metropolis I live in now.) I've worked towards this level of financial stability mainly with the goal of getting a dog in mind (wanted to make sure I could maximize time/ afford any incidental costs like insurance or dog walkers.)

Anyway, I grew up with dogs, but never owned one that wasn't technically my family's, so I'm looking for recs.

>26 y/o, single, /fit/
>Will likely be working 40 hrs a week for the foreseeable future
>Will have dog friendly roommate for the foreseeable future (no clue how our schedules match up)
>Access to dog parks
>Grew up with a terrier mix then a beagle that I was the primary caregiver for, but my family was able to pick up slack
>Also currently volunteer at a shelter when I'm free (not much at the moment, since I'm working 60 hrs a week to get the car)
>Am able to devote 2-4 hours a day walking/training/playing with said dog, though would prefer to keep dog parks to 2-4 days a week
>Can afford a dog walker during the day if necessary, but would prefer not to incur that expense if at all possible
>Prefer to take dogs I watch with me to friend's houses/breweries/jogging/whathaveyou
>Prefer medium, but can go big or small if its a good fit

I was considering just volunteering at a shelter in my new city then just bringing home a dog that seemed like a good fit, but I hear greyhounds are pretty chill/low maintenance so I've been looking into a few rescues for them as well. I've had nothing but good experiences with Bostons as well.

Anyhow sorry for the blog post, but thanks for any recommendations.

>>2954880
He looks like a particularly happy and cute frog. Not SLAMTOAD mode or anything.
>>
File: IMG_20190104_170559653.jpg (2.85 MB, 4000x3000)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
This is my Aussie doodle he turns 2 April 1st what should he get, last year I gave him steak
>>
>>2955007
>I was considering just volunteering at a shelter in my new city then just bringing home a dog that seemed like a good fit

Best. Idea. Ever. Just let a dog pick YOU!
>>
>>2955007
Greyhound could be a good fit, or lab, but if you're not set on a particular breed and are open to adopting, finding a suitable dog at the shelter is a great idea! Since with your schedule, an adult would be better than a young puppy anyways, finding a good boy/good girl at the shelter is a good option.
>>
>>2955250
I was planning on getting a dog 3-8 years old. I'm not set on any breed (mutts are totally cool too.) I love labs, but don't they need constant companionship/attention?

Probably the most depressing part of the last two years was this lab/greyhound mix at my current shelter. She was super obedient, while being super calm, best of both worlds. Unfortunately my apt. doesn't allow dogs, and I wanted to stick to my plan anyways.

>>2955217
My only caveat with the shelter thing is that you can't always tell how a dog will be outside the shelter environment, while breed-specific rescue organizations usually have fosters and such, so they can get a good idea of their temperament/needs beforehand. The unfortunate reality of being a single guy is that I'll only have so much time to work through behavioral problems.

Still, I'll probably volunteer anyhow in the interim. I want to make sure I'm fully settled in my new city (make sure my new job seems like a good fit/is stable, get a routine going, etc.) Plus it'll be a good way to branch out a bit, since I'll only know like two people. If I find a dog that I can't live without in the meantime, I'll do that.
>>
File: IMG_0576.jpg (1.64 MB, 2448x3264)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>2955285
Forgot I had a pic of the greyhound/lab mix.

She's been adopted (of course,) and I'm happy for her, but damn she would've been perfect.
>>
File: cache_11244072.png (282 KB, 465x318)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
>>2955285
>My only caveat with the shelter thing is that you can't always tell how a dog will be outside the shelter environment

that's an argument which only makes sense when ppl who know jack about the issue talk about it from an experienceless theoretical standpoint. armchair monday morning dog trainers. you never know what any given puppy will grow up to be like either and you do not have all that much control over that no matter when you get the dog. the only issue with a shelter dog is if you already have a dog at home. which you do not. if you literally let a shelter dog pick you, chances are going towards 100% everything will be fine - IF YOU DO YOUR PART.
>>
File: cache_11244071.png (331 KB, 431x421)
331 KB
331 KB PNG
>>2954868
if the anon with the pug-beagle mix still lurks, pls post moar pic pls!

>pug-beagle
>pug-italian greyhound

are the matings I think we should use to save the Puge!
>>
>>2955292
I just meant that the way a dog acts with constant human interaction/ things happening around it/ dogs around/ stimulation might not translate well to being alone for 6 hours a day, and only interacting with two people with limited time on a daily basis, as well as the occasional dog at the park.

Generally if a dog doesn't go full autism every time I enter its cage (in terms of either jumping around or cowering in the corner,) I can probably reasonably assume I've got a chill, aloof, complacent dog (which is what I'm looking for). Still, foster homes are good for testing out things like how the dog does alone.
>>
>>2955301
welcome to the life of a single dude with a dog and jerb. what you'll need is a schedule. a schedule the dog can rely on 100%. from the beginning, communicate everything that's happening to your dog consistently with verbal cues: DOGPARK!, WALK!, WATER!, FOOD!, PLAYTIME!, WORK!, SLEEP! etc. - eventually the dog will learn that WORK! means you will be gone but will also return which will cut down the horror of separation anxiety for the dog - again, IF YOU DO YOUR PART. if you need to let your dog stay at home for 6hrs, you'll have to get up early in the morning and exercise and simulate it appropriately before you leave. the schedule also helps because you'll be able to time their poops. I'd feel uneasy being away and not being certain my dog does not have to poop. my dog poops when we are out the door in the morning and again ~2hrs later after we are done with play, that's all the pooping for the day.
>>
>>2955303
Good advice with the verbal cues.

I'm aware of the responsibility a dog comes with. I watch dogs pretty consistently, grew up with dogs, and have busted my ass to get my loans paid off before adopting one to ensure I can provide everything it needs and give it a stable environment >>2955007

Still, rather than blindly choosing a dog and working around it, I'd rather try to choose one with a temperament that fits my lifestyle and what I can realistically provide as closely as possible, then go from there. Thus, the breed recommendations
>>
File: 800px-Harzer_Fuchs.jpg (157 KB, 800x600)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>2955306
>rather than blindly choosing a dog and working around it, I'd rather try to choose one with a temperament that fits my lifestyle

I do not think that is how it works or that such a dog exists. still good luck on your quest. from what I have seen in the last, almost 3 years of dog keeping and research dogs are amazingly conservative and have very little diversity in their needs. the good people you meet at the park all tell you basically the same story with minimal divergence. even a pug needs 1hr of play and a malinois may need up to 4hrs a day. if you are getting some mixed breed moderate size non-degenerate breed mutt expect to need to exercise and socialize it for 2hrs a day, every day.
>>
I like dogs but I really don't like pugs
>>
File: 1551537229901.gif (1.55 MB, 400x257)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB GIF
>>2955337
>I really don't like pugs

who cares?
>>
>>2955344
I do
>>
>>2955316
Tell that to my lazy ass dogs that can’t even walk to the end of my (admittedly long) driveway without panting and laying down at the first opportunity.
>>
>>2955399
fringe cases and anecdotal evidence means nothing. the shelters are flowing over with dogs who eed more time than their owners care to spend on them and ppl like ZAK George make a living trying to wrestle those minutes/day a dog needs down second by second. imo there is no point in getting a dog if you DO NOT EXPLICITELY WANT TO SPEND 2-3hrs A DAY PLAYING WITH IT.
>>
File: 20190302_130349.jpg (2.24 MB, 4032x1960)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
I've only ever owned pound mutts because I'm a poorfag but some of them are cute
>>
File: b210925733.jpg (115 KB, 960x640)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>2955705
>poorfag
I'm interested, if you had money, what breed would you want?
>>
>>2955717
Probably a German Shepherd but not a shitty inbred one
>>
File: 3411865.jpg (281 KB, 636x932)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
tfw no Japanese Spitz
>>
>>2955756
>fox rejects dog food

why would this be?
>>
There is some breed of dog that is not aggressive in any way.
a friendly race
Very little fierce.
of harmless aspect.
not at all rude
>>
>>2955765
Pit bull.

Just kidding, Greyhounds are supposedly near incapable of aggression. High prey drive though.
>>
File: IMG_20180909_150202.jpg (1.09 MB, 1257x1677)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>lost doggo's lead
Shit
What's a good lead brand?
>>
>>2955756
Imagine the state of mind of someone who intentionally sells someone a wild animal pretending it is a domesticated dog/cat. It's like something out of a comedy skit.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (15 KB, 300x300)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>2955845
Highest rated on Amazon is how I do. Particularly fond of the dual handle ones.
>>
What dog has the largest fluff?
>>
>>2955845
I got a tufflex lead off gundogsupply. It’s similar to leather but it doesn’t warp or get smelly; super easy to clean too.

The tufflex collars are great too, for the same reason.
>>
>>2955294
>>2955292
What kind of dog is this? Malinois?
>>
File: SCeQuRa_d.jpg (37 KB, 640x853)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Do your dog likes to snuggle? Mine loves to smash his face into my chest and push up as close as he can. Sorry for ugly human face.
>>
File: IMG_20190302_203010.jpg (1.18 MB, 4160x3120)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
Looking for recommendations for a good harness but the lead has to attach near the center of his back for tracking.
>>
FLOMF
>>
>>2956099
Ah damn it it came out sideways
>>
>>2955882
I have a 4 month old dachshund and he loves to sit on my lap and yawn.
>>
>>2955756
Did she keep it?
>>
File: 12092018456.jpg (539 KB, 2592x1456)
539 KB
539 KB JPG
>>2954868
short vid of me dogue eating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAS86sVBcXo
>>
>>2955344
Agreed. One of the shitty breeds around.
>>
What do you guys think of pitbulls?
>>
>>2956307
Gas them all, just to be sure.
>>
>>2956092
Puppia is great if it fits your dog.
>>
>>2956092
Man when I asked this question sometime ago in these threads someone sperged out and called me a shit owner for even needing a harness and that it was a meme that would end up hurting the dog.
>>
>>2956092
>>2956353
maybe this:

https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog-harnesses/products/omnijore-harness
>>
>>2956307
The local shelter here only has them, GSDs, or huskies. I don't know which one would be the most tolerable.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjPg1gev-9o

Does the dog can see what happen at the TV screen?
Does it is reacting to it?
>>
>>2956522
I think it’s reacting more to the sound than the visuals. Dogs are good at picking up tone. The distressed voice is probably making the dog anxious.
>>
>>2956307

I think it's a nearly uselessly broad term.
>>
File: 1354235567006.png (2 KB, 416x416)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
How do I keep my dog from shitting in his crate.
He's a little over 5 months old and it's getting annoying.
>gf wakes up and takes him on a 15min walk
>he doesn't poop
>puts him back in crate
>doesn't poop
>I wake up 3 hours later and take him on a 20min walk
>doesn't poop
>play with him around the house for another 30mins
>doesn't poop
>put him in crate for 15mins while I shower
>takes a shit
I don't get it. He had almost 4hours of opportunity to shit, and if he had just waited like 20mins he would have been out of his crate to shit.
They're solid turds so I don't think he has a bowel problem or infection, and he isn't on a medication.
>make his crate smaller
I already have the partition in narrow enough that he has to sleep diagonally
>>
>>2957093
my suggestion would be don't put him in crate if it's not doing you any good
then when he shits on pad or outside reward him lots and lots until he makes the association
>>
>>2957093
get a schedule of exercise-feeding-rest that you painstakingly follow every day. you will be able to time the poops +-15mins. if you feed dry, soak the kibble in water or bone broth. physical activity gets their guts going (so does warm food like kibble soaked in warm broth), what you do likely isn't enough. my dog shits in the morning straight out the door and then 1.5hrs later when we are about to finish our morning exercise - that's all the shits for one day then.
>>
>>2957109
I'll try that

>>2957112
I can try this too, but my only concern is what happens on the day where something happens and I deviate from the schedule? He'll probably just poop in his crate then.
How do I teach him not to shit in the crate? I've been under the impression that dogs naturally don't want to do that. I mean when I was growing up and had a puppy she would whine and cry so loud because she refused to piss or shit in the crate, but this boy doesn't make a single noise. He just does it, and I don't even know he's done it until I smell it.
>>
>>2957116
>but my only concern is what happens on the day where something happens and I deviate from the schedule?

well you'll still know when your dog usually shits so you can at least plan somewhat based on that. 5m is still very young and the dog is learning. I do not think shitting in the crate is a bad thing per se. much better than shitting on the carpet I'd say. house training a dog usually involves mulishly going outside with the dog every hour and giving high value treats if the dog does his business outside.
>>
File: inquisitive puppy.jpg (87 KB, 960x960)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
Does anyone know what kind of dog this is?
>>
File: 1541538504491.jpg (108 KB, 639x556)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Does your country have a cooler dog?
What I like about our one is..
it's cute, look at those pointy ears
aesthetic coat
looks like it was bred with a wild animal recently, but is actually totally chill and cool
good at herding animals
well proportioned head

>>2955292
>>2955294
cute doggo
>>
>>2955760
>>fox rejects dog food
>why would this be?
Foxes are carnivores, dog food is full of shitty grains.

>>2955850
It's china mate, pretty sure that shop would low key be selling the foxes as a delicacy food item.
>>
>>2955852
That doberman is like a personification of the brainlet wojak meme..
>>
>dog walks in my room just to fart
>>
File: 12092018451.jpg (888 KB, 2592x1456)
888 KB
888 KB JPG
>>2957261
>Foxes are carnivores, dog food is full of shitty grains.

at last I truly see! how can i have been this dumb? pic is my dog's food.
>>
>>2957093
Is that routine always the same? if so, stand outside with him after you play with him for 15 more minutes, or until he poops. Yeah, it's tedious.
>>
>>2957723
All that meat must be expensive on autismbux, obviously she was feeding it store bought dog food
>>
>>2957723
Btw I don't think I see any organs in there. Carnivores tend to have to eat the organs or else they'll miss out on certain key micronutrients. I could just be blind tho
>>
File: beef liver.jpg (63 KB, 1080x607)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2957744
you are right. that is face meat and skirt steak and heart and a piece of spongy bone. I feed liver only every other day.

>>2957743
>expensive on autismbux
a day's food like this costs me .65€
>>
>>2957755
How? Even low-grade offal costs me about $5 a day to feed two large dogs. Good quality meat would be double that.
>>
File: thumbnailv.jpg (74 KB, 1080x607)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2957792
>How?

it's a butcher who turns the non-prime cuts not really marketable to people into BARF dog food. they freeze it and have 3-weekly deliversies to people with their own cold truck. I only need about 400g of meat a day for my 19kg dog so I think the price ought to be similar to yours. 1kg of skirt steak-face meat-green tripe mix costs 2€.
>>
>>2957812
Guess it's a country difference thing, considering green tripe is illegal to buy/sell where i live
>>
File: rumen tripe green.jpg (96 KB, 700x700)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>2957816
>where i live
and where is that?
>>
>>2957817
Australia
>>
>>2957818
whats the reasoning?
>>
>>2957816
>considering green tripe is illegal to buy/sell where i live
https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/k9-natural-freeze-dried-beef-green-tripe-booster-250g-p-31780
https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/ziwipeak-dog-chews-lamb-tripe-80g-p-31791
Looks expensive, god only knows why though
>>
>>2957812
Skirt steak is like $18 per kg here btw, lol
>>
>>2957820
It's considered a health hazard because if all the harmful bacteria in it. I think the main reason is that it contains a large number of botulism spores. So handling it with an open wound can be deadly.

>>2957823
Those are processed, not raw. It can be sold as long as it's been heated to kill all bacteria.
>>
File: 14092018469.jpg (492 KB, 2592x1456)
492 KB
492 KB JPG
>>2957827
>>2957823
well that sucks balls. if you are interested, here their products and prices:

https://shop.kopffleischexpress.at/Fleisch/
>>
File: IMG_0856.jpg (424 KB, 1139x1030)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
>>2954868
Behold!
Both his parents were minis but he's a mutant so he's full size
>>
Any tips to prevent a dog pulling when walking to certain spots to do their business, or should I just let it happen?
>>
File: 1429184212997.jpg (49 KB, 500x484)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
I don't have my Wheaten Terrier anymore. I've had that goofy little bastard since I was 9, and now he's gone. It's got me all kinds of fucked up. How do you guys deal with the end?
>>
>>2958328
Like any other relationship.
Reflect about the time we shared, what they meant to me and possibly what I meant to them, then honoring that in what ways I can.
>>
>>2958275
>Any tips to prevent a dog pulling when walking to certain spots to do their business
Prevent it from being successful in getting him to those spots. i.e. dog starts pulling, you stop walking until he's no longer pulling. Be consistent. He'll learn eventually.
>>
>>2955042
obviously 2 steaks anon
>>
File: IMG_20181122_175819.jpg (1.27 MB, 4000x3000)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
How are chicken necks for dog treats? Theyre only $4 per kg at woolies so much cheaper compared to the big bones from pet stores
>>
>>2958568
>How are chicken necks for dog treats?

turkey, chicken and duck necks and feet are a staple for bone in my dog's diet.
>>
Is it a bad move to walk a small dog (10-15lb) 4 miles at a time? We've been doing two miles and he doesn't even seem to get tired, not even panting.
>>
>>2956307
This anon said it best. >>2956318
>>
To those that lost their dogs to old age or put them down, I envy you for having the chance to say good bye to your dogs. My first dog ran away from my house when I was in the first grade. And besides the ensuing loneliness and worrying on whether he even liked me or not, and other issues that probably came from it, I came to realized something: I might've had an easier time moving on if I had a chance to say good bye, if I knew he was going to leave soon. I don't mean to blog, but I just want to know, does knowing about how much time you had left with your dog ease the grieving proccess?
>>
File: 1533212747054.jpg (37 KB, 382x500)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2959170
>My first dog ran away from my house
>worrying on whether he even liked me or not
>not worrying about what happened to him. was he ran over, slowly suffering in a ditch alone? was he torn to pieces by 'yotes? or even worse animals like groids/azn biped insects/aztecs? was he slowly scraping by, eating trash and eventually dying painfully from worms, mange, ticks and exposure?

I see you have your priorities right.
>>
File: 1532275502344.jpg (262 KB, 1280x1280)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>2959298
>that image
I have always found comfort in taking an objective stance every so often and appreciating the exchange between human and canine. For a lifetime of worry free bliss and joy from human to dog, the dog returns ~12 years of absolute loyalty and pure devotion to the human. I don't think a fairer trade exists.
>>
>>2959374
>that image
also, that pic is particularly cute. gotta wonder what he thinks when "you set the food on fire"...
>>
Old people overfeed dogs so damn much. So many table scraps and 1000 cookies throughout the day. I've noticed every old person does this.
>>
>>2959684
Grandparent instinct kicking in, something old people are too senile to resist or control. Organisms in general are ill-optimised instinctually at the end of their lifespan.
>>
File: aOz60R6_700b.jpg (34 KB, 545x302)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>2959515
>they stuck bad tasting things on the food
>and then they set it on fire
>i am very concerned
>>
File: 0_big.jpg (98 KB, 480x480)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
redpill me on these guys
>>
>>2959724
They're my favorite breed, everything about them is awesome. Never owned one but a family member did and he was an amazing dog. Really want to get one soon.
>>
>>2959724

Thanks to irresponsible breeders there's a huge chance you'll get one with a genetic defect causing it to drop dead within its first 5 years of life. If it's lucky, and isn't struggling in a panic for minutes until it finally dies.
>>
>>2959763
That's sad to hear. Can we even trust reputable breeders?
>>
I have an 11 week old irish setter puppy

she's very aggressive and domineering, and also humps pillows a lot

did I manage to get the dog equivalent of a freemartin
>>
>>2959782
>reputable breeders
no such thing, just look at golden retrievers and lymphoma rates
they're all out to make a quick buck to the detriment of the dogs they create
>>
>>2960132
Nah, puppies are just like that. She'llalmost certainly grow out of it. Though, a friend had a female dachshund when I was a kid, and it never grew out of that phase. I think it's a tiny dog issue, brain too small or something. Also, post pics of pupper.
>>
File: IMG_20190222_170111.jpg (2.17 MB, 4160x3120)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
>>2960139
>>
File: IMG_20190222_170112.jpg (1.77 MB, 4160x3120)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
>>2960145
>>
File: IMG_20190220_200112.jpg (1.32 MB, 4160x3120)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
her name is bean
I like to call her bumble bean
here she is, sitting next to me
>>
File: thumbnailbn.jpg (165 KB, 1080x607)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>2960145
>>2960147
>>2960153
now das what I call cute!
>>
File: IMG_20190305_083955.jpg (1.23 MB, 4160x3120)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>2956354
Thanks anon, looks great!
>>
File: 1535662616468.jpg (79 KB, 960x638)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>2955344
They're ugly like a chihuahua.
>>
>>2960133
Can they be tested when they're puppies to see if they could develop it or no?
>>
>>2954868
There's this toy I had for my previous dog and I can't find it again. It was this box like thing that you put different shaped pegs into and once the dog puts them in it dispenses a treat.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>2960224
https://www.amazon.com/Ottoson-Brick-Puzzle-Outward-Hound/dp/B0711Y9XTF/
closest thing I could find
>>
Red pill me on Goldens vs Labs
>>
>>2960263
Labs are bros, Goldens are faggy snobs
>>
>>2960263
Both
>height of 22-24 inches
>folded ears
>long tails
>happy, enthusiastic expressions
>“soft" mouths
>webbed feet
>love of water
Goldens
>long flat or wavy coat
>water-repellent coat
>longer snout
>“smiling”expression
>life expectancy: 10-13 years
>weight: 55-75 lbs
Labs
>broad head with pronounced eyebrows
>water-resistant coat
>medium, non-tapered muzzle
>muscular build
>life expectancy: 10-12 years
>weight: 65-80 lbs
>>
File: 20180207_150421_HDR.jpg (1.94 MB, 3264x1836)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
This was Merle when I first got him from the shelter. 52 lbs of skin and bones.
>>
>>2960283

And here he is now, just over a year later. 73 lbs and loving life. It's hard to imagine a time without him at this point. As time consuming as owning a dog is I don't think I would have been able to accomplish all I've accomplished in the last year without him.
>>
File: 20190308_135222_HDR.jpg (3.79 MB, 3264x1836)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
>>2960289
>>
>>2960289
you sound like a good owner anon
>>
>>2955344
RESPIRATORY DISTRESS IS NOT CUTE

FUCK HIPSTERS
>>
>>2959684
My parents do this with their cats. The cat will like, jump on the coffee table and then they'll be like "oh that means he wants treats!" and dump like a pile of 20 treats in front of the cat. It really aggravates me, all their cats are morbidly obese.
>>
File: 20190127_130417_HDR.jpg (3.38 MB, 3264x1836)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>2960301

Thanks, anon.
>>
>>2960273
Explain
>>
File: IMG_2413.jpg (323 KB, 764x1024)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
I want to get a GSD, but I live in America. I know some breeders have imported GSDs and reintroduced a focus on capability and health instead of looks, but how do I go about finding a breeder doing such reinvigoration? I don't want to give money to assholes that think end of life agony is an acceptable risk for beauty standards.
>>
>>2960529
then get a mutt who looks like a gsd
it's not the end of the fucking world if you don't get to brag about your purebred to brainlets
>>
Corgi friends
>>
>>2960279
Goldens life expectancy varies wildy based on breeding. Pretty common for badly bred ones to only get to 7 or 8.
>>
Can someone tell me some tips on dog grooming? My parents keep their dog in a sweater during the winter and I wonder if it's bad for the dog to be outside with that on all the time. Are there any dangers of badly groomed dogs with short hair? I know if it gets tangled it can look gross, but not much beyond that.
>>
>>2955882
jesus christ thats one horrendous face, shaking rn, you could've blurred your fuckin disgustin face anon
why's the dogs head so small, can yo post some more of your doggo
>>
going away for 2 weeks in a month, first time i've been away from my dogs since having them. if something happens to them while im gone i plan on killing myself. im really thinking of just cancelling my trip.
>>
>>2960593
Matting can lead to fungal/bacterial growth on the hair/skin. Just like humans. Unless your dog is one of those heinously ugly hairless Xolos you should probably brush it once a week at least. I don't use brushes anymore though, as my dog loves me using pic related way more, and it's easier on repetitive wrist action. I never expected an as seen on TV product to work as well as these do.
>>
>>2960733

how does it get through stuck together fur? my dogs always bite each other the ear and it sticks together and becomes very shitty every single day.
>>
>>2960722
if you have trustworthy ppl taking care of them it's not a big deal. I had my dog go on vacation with my parents for 10 days to go see the sea and play on beaches. she had a blast.
>>
File: ddd.jpg (25 KB, 600x600)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2960737
>>2960593
this is a generic made in china piece of shit comb as sold in every drug store world wide. run it through your dog's coat a few times a week. especially the areas that tend to tangle up into mats. this already will do wonders. as for sweaters, they tend to not do what they are intended to do. they often constrict the fur destroying the isolating air pockets and often are damp from environmental water which cools the dog even further.
>>
File: thumbnailgggg.jpg (88 KB, 1080x607)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>2960741
>me dog being groomed
>>
My dog starts growling and humping at/on my arm after feeding him beef.
why?
>>
File: IMG_20190223_170629267.jpg (2.27 MB, 3120x4160)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB JPG
asked about dog toothpaste a while ago and I ended up buying arm & hammer enzymatic toothpaste. my dog seems to like the taste.

i want to add dental kibble to her diet, i know most dry foods don't do shit for teeth but I did some research and there are some that have had clinical trials done and actually do reduce tartar/plaque.

powdered kelp also has evidence for helping reduxe tartar/plaque so I'm thinking of buying some of that, but it's high in iodine and I don't want to fuck with her thyroid.

pic related, she loves carrots
>>
File: IDShot_540x540.jpg (32 KB, 540x540)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>2960795
>there are some that have had clinical trials done and actually do reduce tartar/plaque.

well if this unicorn dog food exists use that....
>>
>>2960815
There's a list of products (kibbles, chews, etc) that have had trials done on the Veterinary Oral Health Council website.

I do brush her teeth and I still will even when I add dental kibble to her diet.
>>
>>2958268
Awww what a cute doggo. Is it a toy eskimo?
>>
>>2960821
http://www.vohc.org/VOHCAcceptedProductsTable_Dogs.pdf

ok. so which one will you get?
>>
>>2959298
My dog suffering alone like you just described is one of my greatest fears.
>>
>>2960837
>white man's burden
>>
Does anyone have any experience with american vs european dobermans? And if there actually is a difference with temperment, health, and physical appearance?
>>
>>2960833
Hill's oral care. I won't switch her totally to it but I'll replace part of her meals with it.

inb4 grain-free posters
>>
File: 13092018465.jpg (537 KB, 2592x1456)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
>>2960846
sounds pointless to me. but good luck.
>>
>>2960845
european doberman has different ears since cropping is illegal in europe.
>>
>Dog freaks out, howls, barks uncontrollably whenever he sees a dog out of the window
>When he's outside and walking he wants nothing to do with other dogs
How do I make him shut up
>>
>>2960973
he's just protecting his home telling the other dogs to fuck off.
>>
>>2960981
Regardless, it's highly unpleasant when he catches a glimpse half an hour past midnight and I need to pry him away from the window
Can I stop this behavior?
>>
>>2960986
>Can I stop this behavior?

it would be difficult. my suggestion would be to stay calm and start petting the dog and trying to take his attention away from the "intruder". treats, a short bout of play, pats - whatever your dog responds best to to break his focus. try to show that another dog being there is not a problem. and it's important to stay calm yourself and to not get angry/annoyed/anxious. dogs pick up on that and misinterpret it as being a result of the other dog showing up, thus reinforcing their defensive behaviour towards the intruder dog. my dog barks at strangers passing by our fence when with my mom while she does not bark at the same people when with me. she picks up on my mom getting nervous and shifty, hoping to not be embarrassed by a barking dog which prompts her to bark.
>>
Opinions on Newfoundlands as a breed?
>>
>>2960986
Here's a vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNe5COoGhk

Similar to >>2960991 whenever she barks he approaches the window and speaks to her acting while acting calm, and if she still barks he calmly leads her away from the window.
>>
>>2954868
I was thinking about adopting my first dog. Not to be awkward but when I was meeting it for the first time I noticed it would get a dog boner every time somebody petted it. Should I be worried about that
>>
>>2961207
He is neutered btw
>>
>>2961214
Don't worry, my dog does the same shit everytiem someone pets him. I think it's just his nature and pretty normal for a small doggo. This may go away with time.
>>
>>2959763
Is that with American and European dobermans?
>>
>>2961850
Only American.
>>
>>2961850
Just Europeans
>>
File: Maple suitcase trick.gif (3.89 MB, 853x480)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB GIF
Hello friends, here is Maple's suitcase trick
>>
>>2954868
Remove Dog.
>>
>>2961917
>>2962217
Wait which one? Are they both messed up?
>>
>>2962291
that is the cutest goddamn thing i've ever seen
>>
>>2962291
>the head poking back out at the end
>>
File: top kek.jpg (1.2 MB, 2592x1456)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>2962291
>>
File: 1506062220071.webm (2.65 MB, 640x640)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB WEBM
>>
File: b209654752.jpg (231 KB, 960x1280)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>>2963163
>File: 1506062220071.webm (2.65 MB, 640x640)

GR antics best antics!
>>
>>2959763
This is honestly one of the most depressing things I've read on this site. Is there any hope for the breed?
>>
File: 20190312_192751.jpg (857 KB, 1200x1600)
857 KB
857 KB JPG
My girl. She's turned 11 this year but hasn't slowed down at all. Rescue so we don't know the breed
>>
Hey /an/, I haven't owned a puppy in over a decade and my parents just got two. Any general advice on do's and don'ts for pups.
>>
File: 20190313_022131.jpg (3.7 MB, 2268x3082)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB JPG
Is your dog allowes to sleep next to you in bed?
>>
>>2963428
If the doberman community as a whole starts to accept that outcrossing is necessary and the only way to save the breed, then yes! There are some people doing doberman outcross projects in an effort to get rid of the heart problems in the breed. Hopefully they have success and are accepted by the breed community at large/kennel clubs.
>>
>>2963512
>dos and don'ts
Don't get two puppies at once. Littermate syndrome.
>>
>>2963718
What if they're not actually littermates? We got two puppies at once and a third one a year later and they all turned out fine, none of them are actually genetically related
>>
>>2963799
Doesn’t matter if they are related, if they are close in age they’ll bond with each other, which isn’t a good thing if you want a good relationship with the dogs. Two puppies are fine as long as they spend time apart and you have one-on-one training sessions with them. Also make sure there is no competition over toys, food or attention from you or you’re going to end up with serious fights when they hit puberty.
>>
>>2963714
those are my bedsheets
get out of my bed
>>
>>2963801
when is it fighting and when is it playing
>>
>>2964005
Honestly it really depends on the dogs. If they are your own you’ll learn when the dog switches from play growling to a warning growl. Some dogs are noiser and like to play rough, others will never play fight and prefer chase games.

Here’s an interesting video on the topic (skip to 08:30)
https://youtu.be/6oRgRRb_Vik
>>
I got a new dog today!! I rescued a husky mix. I'm so excited to bring her home tomorrow. I do t have a good pic yet.
>>
>>2964149
NAme?
>>
>>2964288
Agnes
>>
>>2964005
This is a really good video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzEgrLcxtUQ
>>
File: overexposed.jpg (1.16 MB, 2592x1456)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>2964149
>>2964312
YAY AGNES!
>>
Dog is scared of water? Sits outside the door and shakes/shivers while yawning when its wet outside.

He isn't cold, plays in worse weather with snow and freezing temperature all the time. Wtf?
>>
>>2964548
Does your dog freak out from lightning/thunder? It might be mental association with rain.
>>
>>2964548
same here. my dog will jump in the dirtiest puddles, roll in snow, go swimming, wade through the creek. but if the wet is coming as rain/snow from above she'll rather stay inside.
>>
>>2964557
Nah he's never seemed to mind
>>
>>2964500
This was really helpful, thanks a lot!

>>2964030
Thanks! I was getting concerned because one of my dogs likes to bite just around where the other dog's bald spot is and I thought it was actually them doing the damage.
>consider sticking your finger up the dog's asshole to make it stop fighting
Let's hope that's knowledge I'll never have to employ.
>>
>>2964615
>he fell for the alpha dog meme
>>
>>2964149
I got her home and she's doing good!
>>
>>2964752
Your dog is good at defying gravity.
>>
>>2960263
Perfect family dog.
They come in two varieties though.
>Lazy snuggle monsters
>A dog with a shit ton of energy you will need to expel every day or they will devour anything within reach.
My Labrador was my brothers before I got him, my brother kept in a small garden and barely walked him.
He ate an entire very thick wooden shed door, just started ripping the planks off it and devoured them.
He also chewed an electric lawn mower, I never seen a dog eat metal before.
Oh and he started on their stone wall.
His teeth are terrible.

I got him at age two, daily walks and throwing the ball for a bit would turn him into the snuggle monster.
He is eight now and just wants to chill 24/7.
>>
>>2964827
>His teeth are terrible.
your family are niggers.
>>
had to go away for work and I miss my fucking dog like crazy, please post pictures of your dogs looking cute and nice and happy please
>>
File: 1515611711927.jpg (46 KB, 328x328)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2964912
Tell us about your dog and provide pictures.
>>
>>2964700
Who mentioned alphas? There is a difference between dominance and “alphas”. Not all dogs are equal in a social setting. A submissive dog will always be bullied.
>>
>>2959374
hey, doggo
>>
>>2963463
schipperke
>>
File: bt.jpg (270 KB, 861x1175)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>>2964947
She's a big pitbull named Brutus, she's a very good girl and I miss her a lot
>>
File: 1550648875899.jpg (1.15 MB, 974x1600)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
Aussies or border collies?
>>
>>2965096
Border collie, by far. Especially working line borders.
>>
>>2964976
BRUTUS IS HERE
My favorite pitbull by far
>>
File: 20180303_163929c.jpg (1.87 MB, 2312x1836)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>2964912
>>2964976
I'm sorry you have to be away from Brutus, anon. When do you get to reunite with her? Here's a happy Maple to help you feel better.

>>2965096
I like both. I love all the little collie-type herders. English Sheps especially! (I am biased because of Maple) But it's honestly hard to choose a favorite, they all have their charm.
>>
File: 11092018441.jpg (1.1 MB, 2592x1456)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>2965096
the best dog is the dog you got.
>>
File: not interested.jpg (1.1 MB, 2592x1456)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>2964976
>she
>Brutus
>she

well she does look very butch.
>>
>>2965096
Aussies have too many health problems
>>
>>2965173
Is she a pitbuol as well
>>
File: IMG_0623.jpg (284 KB, 1200x1600)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
>>2964970
Doubt it. She's too big. Here she is with her two adopted brothers (the one on the right is a rescue too so we also don't know what he is)
>>
Do you feed your dog his regular food on days you gave him a bone? My dog just vomited all his biscuits up.
>>
>>2965245
>>2964970

could be part blue bay shepherd, black GSD, Groenendael, Mitteldeutscher Schwarzer or Süddeutscher Schwarzer.
>>
File: 12092018457.jpg (572 KB, 2592x1456)
572 KB
572 KB JPG
>>2965253
any change in food can cause an upset stomach. if you feed meaty bones, the constant swallowing of air as they gnaw on it alone can cause them to throw up. bones have calories depending on the kind and how much meat, fat and cartilage is on them, whether or not your dog needs additional food depends on the kind of bone given. be careful to water dry food especially when giving bones because bones cause hard stool. in this pic you can see my dog with a small spongy bone (fist sized) and the rest of her food for that day.
>>
File: 20190315_115025.jpg (3.49 MB, 3024x3024)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
First time owner here. Took this female pug in when the crack den down the street got raided. Any tips? I'm youtubing dog info now but don't have any experience with puppies.

Her name is Rosie btw.
>>
>>2965286
Give her to a shelter so they can find a proper home for her, you don't just get a puppy on a whim
>>
File: 1552606644018.jpg (160 KB, 653x1343)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
I'm trying to run a 5k every day and have been bringing my dog along. We've done this 3 days in a row (done 4 5ks this week though) and it's fun but is this healthy for him? It only takes us around 23 minutes and I run late at night when it's nice and cool (5c to 10c)
>>
>>2965297
>get dog on a whim
That's why exactly what the majority of people around the world do
>>
>>2965286
>female pug
such cute. much pats.

go take her to a vet first thing. do not let her go outside until she's had all the needed vaccines/deworming etc. as instructed by the vet. you do not want the dog to die from parvo which it can get anywhere outside.
>>
>>2965286
>>2965304
this
also start training that fucker from day 1 and if she's not toilet trained then take her outside every 30 minutes without fail
>>
>>2965301
if your dog is fully grown and is otherwise healthy, 5k/23mins is ok. puppies should not be exercised too intensly before they are fully grown.
>>
File: 20190314_155019.jpg (3.79 MB, 3024x3024)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
>>2965297
I have time and land. It can't be that hard can it? I've had her for three days now and she's growing on me. I've raised two children and a puppy can't be harder than that.
>>
File: lanky ass nigga.jpg (99 KB, 844x1343)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>2965307
he's a year and 4 months or something old
just wanted to double check, he's an athletic breed so it shouldn't be a problem but you know

also 23 mins 30 secs is our record so far with a 7 min mile, trying to get down to under 20 mins
>>
>>2965310
pic will GO FAST for for 23 at DOGSPEED. really, human running speeds are not real exercise for non degenerate, medium sized, ideal weight dogs. still you could give him a day's rest between runs if you want to be safe. some breeds can take up to 18 months to fully grow. depending on what ground you are running on it might be a good idea, allowing his joints to get ready (concrete sidewalks might not be the best surface to run on for either of you).
>>
>>2965308
>raising children is the exact same thing
Go fuck yourself
>>
>>2965317
I didn't say that my man.
>>
File: dog posing.jpg (115 KB, 490x1007)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>2965315
he's a vizla x small lurcher mutt but I don't think he'll grow anymore as his growth appears to have stagnated at 25kg ish and around 2 feet tall for a while now

also yeah running on the pavement isn't that great but there's no where else I can run because I live in a big city
>>
>>2965320
meh. keep him on the lean side (visible ribs) and it should be fine. in my exp these short runs don't even really do a whole lot for dogs, the speeds they go at during play with other dogs is something ppl just can't compete with. I try to balance exercise between runs with me, fetch at the park and socialization play with other dogs.
>>
>tfw obese dogs are sad but hilarious to look at at the same time
>>
File: 3f1.jpg (115 KB, 836x503)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
How did humanity manage this?
>>
>>2965408
Change the right picture to a toadline
>>
File: wildvsdomesticated.png (557 KB, 959x320)
557 KB
557 KB PNG
>>2965411
like this?
>>
My dog doesn’t know how to play with toys, I show her a tug toy and she gets all excited and runs over but she doesn’t know what to with it and just wants pets. What do I do?
>>
>>2965429
Drag it around on the floor.
>>
>>2965429
>>2965435
The toy, not the dog, obviously.
>>
>>2965415
Evolution at its finest
>>
Anyone know what this is? Looks like pink eye maybe? Maybe a cut?
>>
>>2965469
I think you mean artificial selection
>>
File: photo_1.jpg (112 KB, 605x620)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
I love Zeus!
Big ears!
Miserable face!
>>
What are some breeds similar to dobermans? Seems like getting an actual doberman has way too many health issues.
>>
>>2965568
Rottweiler
>>
I heard coyotes across 4 lanes of street in a forest-esque area.

What do I do to protect my dog when I let her out for the bathroom? She is a 10 pound shihpoo. I was thinking motion activated lights + attach her to a 20 foot leash that is anchored inside.
>>
>>2965764
how about going with her outside
>>
>>2965766
She is really bad at focusing on going to the bathroom when I go out with her
>>
>>2965770
Sucks to be you, just go outside with your dog with a leash and flashlight. Go back inside of you see something
>>
>>2965764
If you're in southern california like me, you're just gonna have to roll the dice that a coyote or hawk doesn't make off with your 10 pound dog. Environmental hazard. People in Florida have alligators. Don't let her out at night without supervision, coyotes can climb fences.
>>
>>2965286
Anon, I don't think that's a pug. She's really cute though. If you want to keep her, I recommend checking out kikopup's puppy playlist on youtube, that's a good starting point.

>>2965568
Beauceron (though they might have similar health issues, I'm not sure,) vizsla, malinois, GSD.

>>2965764
Supervise your dog. Predators can snap up a small dog and kill it real quick, the tether won't save her. Also, if you have a fence, put "coyote rollers" at the top (google it) to prevent them from getting in because they can easily scale pretty tall fences otherwise.
>>
File: 11092018434.jpg (1.19 MB, 2592x1456)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>2956221
thx anons for watching my dog 76 times so far! we really feel honored.
>>
>>2965854
>Anon, I don't think that's a pug.
neither do I. could be black mouth cur, could be a black and tan Cane Corso. I have no clue.
>>
>>2965286
Judging by those paws, that’s going to be a big dog
>>
File: dogo.jpg (709 KB, 1632x1224)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
What Breed is my dog?
>>
File: dogo (2).jpg (486 KB, 1224x1632)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
Better pic of my dog.
>>
>>2966012
>>2966021
la creatura
>>
>>2966012
>>2966021
Jokes aside though it looks like a mutt. Nothing wrong with mutts of course they're usually healthier than purebreeds.
>>
>>2966021
goblin x mutt
>>
My parents are getting a 9 week old male Dobermann. I hope they don't dock and crop this one, last dobie had many issues from that her whole life.
>>
>>2966012
>>2966021
Why do you keep your dogs in a junkyard?
>>
>>2966322 has to be some where why not a junk yard.
>>
>>2966086>>2966076>>2966048 well think you for your input I thought he was a mutt but hay I wanted to know for sure.
>>
My sweet boy has only been gone a day... I thought it was hurting less today but all I can think about is he won’t be in the garden with me next week... does it hurt less guys? Please...
>>
File: 20190315_183530.jpg (3.16 MB, 3024x3024)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
>>2965854
>>2965944
What kind do you reckon she is?
>>
ok so my new dog didn't eat for the first couple of days. Today she ate a little sporadically throughout the day. Should I be concerned and what can I get her to eat her food more? she is about 40# and 5 yrs old.
>>
>>2966427
Hard to say, phenotyping puppies is sketchy at best. About how much does she weigh? From her pictures I'd guess some sort of mastiff/bulldog mutt. She looks like she'll get pretty big.
>>
>>2965568

Don't let the health issues completely turn you off getting a dobe. There are breeders out there who healh score, so hip scoring for hip dysplasia, DNA panels (for Von willebrand, dilated cardiomyopathy- DCM, degeneration myelopathy- DM) and eyes (PRA). There's nothing yet for hypothyroid, but as that tends to go hand in hand with DCM if you're screening for cardiac disease, then I suspect you're also inadvertently screening for hypo-T4.

Mind, breeders doing the full score of health testing, who also do some work with their dogs, show their dogs and are well known within their breed group are also going to be as rare as hen's teeth. They're also the sort to have waiting lists as long as your arm, but if it's a dobe you have your heart set on, then consider supporting your health testing breeders.

Or, the other option is to find yourself a dobe specific rescue society and risk the health status- but know you've rescued a doggo and given it a good life. Either way, don't rule them out completely if that's what you really want and feels it works best with your lifestyle.

>>2965854
> GSD - aka the breed with the biggest list of genetic health issues.
The beauceron does have similar issues, vizslas get a similar set (minus the DCM, plus lymphosarcomas) and the malinois is the best out of that bunch.

Aka to the original /an/on, every dog has its individual health issues. Even getting a mutt won't wipe out these issues, as you could potentially get the worst all previous parentage. You really do just need to research your chosen breed and pick a breeder that health tests to minimise your risk.
>>
File: pugpup.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>2965286

Ian Dunbar- before and after you get your puppy (both free PDFs you can find online). The perfect puppy (Gwen Bailey) is pretty good if you can find a cheap copy/ get it out from the library too. All about dog food (I think the US version is dog food insider) is a good shout out for finding a decent puppy food. TLDR of the website: grain free, high protein % with good quality proteins listed as the first few ingredients.

Defo not a pug, that looks like a bully-breed mutt, aka you've just let yourself in for a large powerful adult. Best of luck. Pug puppies for future reference look like pick related and are tiny (a young puppy will be between 2-4lb).
>>
>>2966450
try giving her some warm bone broth soup and/or try feeding something of higher value than what you are giving her now to see if that helps. where did she come from? has she seen a vet recently?
>>
File: IMG_20190317_075635.jpg (1.12 MB, 4000x2250)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>Irish setter puppy is 11 weeks old
>already huge, weighs 30 pounds, half the weight of an adult at not even 3 months
what did she mean by this, is this okay
>>
>>2966829
probably not. they can get growth pains and fucked up joints from growing too fast which is why it is recomended to limit big breed puppies kcal-intake and to go with quality over quantity when feeding, which is a good idea in all breeds anyway really.
>>
Found a really nice park in my city yesterday with a paved trail along a river that goes for miles. Some lady had a youngish border collie and it played really nice with my 8 m/o rottweiler. I didn’t realize they were such playful dogs. He was pretty strong too, managed to get her on her back a few times and she’s 80 lbs. Might go back today.
>>
>>2966700
She's 20 pounds at 9 weeks.
>>
>>2966829
For most breeds, a dog is roughly half its adult weight at 16 weeks old. Irish setters can weigh up to 70 pounds according to google so 30 pounds at 3 months is reasonable. The puppy might grow to a little above breed standard, assuming that the age is accurate.
>>
>>2966839
>She's 20 pounds at 9 weeks.

not a PUGE, >>2965935

>>2966838
>Might go back today.

you should. you should also ask for phone numbers of ppl with dogs who your dog gets along with well to potentially coordinate play dates. it makes life much easier. just randomly going on walks is inefficient.
>>
>>2966844
I did some googling and came across this pic which looks exactly like her. It's a bullmastiff according to wikipedia.
>>
File: 20190317_114104.jpg (154 KB, 424x566)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>2966846
>>
>>2966793
I got her from a rescue Thursday and I have her first bet appointment scheduled a couple weeks out
>>
>>2966866
>I got her from a rescue
did they do vet exams? it's normal for a dog to hold back during the first few days in a new home but I don't want to say everything is totally fine in a case of a homeless dog who may never have been examined... just go see the vet monday to make sure.
>>
>>2966877
She did have vet treatment, she got treated for heartworm and had a couple of shots. She is eating some now.
>>
>>2955705
There really cheap rescues in Aruba
>>
File: IMG_20190218_080646353.jpg (402 KB, 4032x3024)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
Here's my dog shes a street rescue from Aruba. Only issue is that shes incredibly shy around people. Shes finally acting dog like around my fiance but not me. She tends to just lie on her pillow and semi play but isn't great at following my commands. How do I make her love me more?
>>
File: 06092018398.jpg (1.44 MB, 2592x1456)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>2966947
>How do I make her love me more?

weaponized spending time together. I'm srs. you need to teach the dog that play exists and is fun. throw a ball. see what happens. work with multiple balls. as soon as the dog picks one up, as soon as it starts coming towards you, throw another one. this will reinforce and reward the action of picking it up/fetching it. work from there. eventually, you want to arrive at the point where the dog fetches the ball and drops it and only then will you throw it again.
>>
>>2966956
Whelp guess I gotta get her to play with toys first then
>>
>>2966960
not necessarily. I play wrestle with my dog with and withut toys. I just pretend like I want to grab the tip of her tail and rubb her down in doing so. a few steps of chasing back and forth, grabbing her neck ruff and gently pulling a bit etc., you know the gist.
>>
Anyone know what dog is at 5:30? Bassenji maybe?
https://youtu.be/wV1MNIhhth0
>>
>>2966839
Definitely not a pug! She will probably be at least 60 lbs full grown

>>2967144
Not a basenji, at least definitely not a purebred. That dog looks like a fairly homogeneous mutt, like the pariah type village dogs
>>
My dog keeps stealing my shirts to use as bed for her litter and now they're just occupying my laundry room. Is there any way I can motivate her to take pups elsewhere to sleep? I fear I might run out of clothes soon.
>>
>>2967446
give her a crate/big cardboard box with a bunch of blankets. ffs are you 10 years old?
>>
>>2967446
>>2967530
There are also special made beds with pup retaining walls.
>>
Does guard dog mean "instincts to guard and protect" or "big and intimidating" because I hear the term thrown around a lot.
>>
>>2967548
Mostly the latter. Even dogs bred for protection work rarely protect their owners without being trained to do so. They'll bark and charge at people snooping around their property, but if the intruder stands their ground and approaches the dog with confidence, it'll run away. But since most people are intimidated by big barking dogs any large breed dog is suitable as a "guard dog".
>>
>>2967530
She got her own massive pen with cushion, bed, and everything - I've already lined her pen with blankets to keep them warm too. She just keeps taking and sleeping on my shirts with her puppies for some reason.
>>
>>2965267
I have this nignog, she's 7 years old. Want to adopt a stray katto, but I don't think she'd let it, way too overprotective of her home even when people come over, not to mention other pets. Normally she's docile but when she sees me pet a katto barks like crazy

Wat do
>>
>>2967590
Put your shirts in closet and close the door
>>
how do i stop my dog from masturbating? he won't fucking stop
>>
>>2967548
Generally a dog is enough to deter burglars since it's not worth the fucking hassle. It's not about being attacked, it's about the dog making noise and waking people up and having your burglary turn into something way more serious.
>>
3 months into owning a Belgian Malinois. This dude is literally my life now and it’s very difficult but I love the lil guy. Grew up around dogs my whole life but this is like a Formula 1 car compared to a civic. Probably going to rotate my picture
>>
>>2967767
>>
>>2968262
what's that behind him?
>>
Looking for a breed for me
>can be alone for 8 hours when I am at work
>tolerates cold climate as I live far north and I plan on taking it hiking/camping occasionally
>good with kids
>can live in a apartment
>bonus point if it can also be a couch potato on lazy days

Doesn't have to be purebreed

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.