[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 92 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: chickens1.png (1.37 MB, 1280x720)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
Post your chickens, discuss chicken related things.
>>
I want chickens. I grew up in Malaysia surrounded by "kampung chickens" that are very slim and run very fast. People just let them free range around town. They can be seen crossing streets and scratching in grass on the side of the road/outside peoples houses. They are funny. I live in Australia now and live in an apartment. When I get a proper home with land I need to bring some beautiful fluffy chickens into my life. Not sure if I can get kampung chicken but really any chicken will make me happy.
>>
>>2945061
Do you want chickens for meat, or for eggs/keep as pets?
>>
>>2945062
Eggs and pets. I would not be able to eat a chicken I have raised and loved, even though I am a hunter and kill/butcher animals regularly. I would feel sick if I had to eat my clucky friend.
>>
What's the friendliest chicken breed?
>>
>>2945073
Cochins. Both hens and roosters are very mellow and deal with cold weather well. The only issue with them is that the feathers on their feet can get filthy really fast.
>>
Got back home after a two week vacation and my chickens jumped on my back. Feels good
>>
I love the little sounds my rooster makes to beckon hens over when I throw food on the ground.
>>
>>2945055
The coop collapsed during the snowstorm we got here in WA. We never get this kind of weather. Fortunately the hens are all okay. I either have to restring up all the chicken wire or figure out how to give them some plastic sheet roofing. They are currently at risk of getting eaten by opossums or raccoons or coyotes and it worries me.
>>
>>2945073 polish laying hens
>>
I don’t really like chicken or their eggs that much. Convince me to raise some anyways.
>>
>>2945697
If you arent dedicated and proactive you shouldnt have chickens, let alone pets in the first place
>>
They are big girls now
>>
>>2946047
And now
>>
>>2946050
Very beautiful hens
>>
File: IMG_20190123_154542.jpg (2.8 MB, 4864x2736)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
bump
>>
>>2945698
I meant recommend me an ornamental breed, anon.
>>
>>2948061
Silkies
>>
How pronounced should a chicken's breast bone be? I had to euthanize one of my hens last December since she got dangerously skinny and couldn't bounce back, despite being taken inside, medicated and fed. I euthanized since she eventually couldn't even stand up. Anyway, I wormed my chickens again after I had to do that, and all is well except one of my hens breast bone is sort of sharp. She still has muscle on either side though, the one I put down was just skin and bone near the end.
>>
>>2948395
Some chicken breeds are prone to having a somewhat sharp breast, but without issue. What is she?
>>
Have never owned or dealt with chickens before but have become more curious about them lately. Does anyone here have experience with Plymouth Rock barred chickens? They look nice and they seem to have a good temperament. Are they easy to take care of?
>>
>>2948528
Plymouth rocks are an absolute joy. Wonderfully docile, hardy against a huge range of weather, and less likely to get peritonitis than many other breeds. They're a little on the dull side as far as mental capacity, but this also means they get in to trouble a lot less frequently than some of the brighter breeds. They're as easy to care for as any other chicken and can be kept as a single bird, but like other birds it's best to get as least two of them so they can socialize when you're not around.
>>
File: IMG_20190221_105347.jpg (1.75 MB, 3328x1872)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>2948509
>What is she?
Not sure, here's a picture of her
>>
>>2948550
Interesting. She's like an easter egger mixed with a silkie. I'm not exactly sure what she is though. Anyway, both easter eggers and silkies are lighter birds that often have a little sharpness on the sternum.
>>
>>2945055
ducks > chickens.
>>
>>2948550
SMASHED
>>
>>2949042
Ducks are only okay as indoor pets when you raise them from ducklings. As outdoor ones they're messy and spiteful birds. Contrast to chickens which are great either way.
>>
>>2949297
>chicken
>indoor
Hmmm?
>>
>>2949305
Yeah. People diaper them and let them run around indoors. I know from experience with keeping a hen in my basement for several months while she recovered from an injury, that there's no odor if you clean their bedding daily. Just set then up a mini "coop" with a perch and some sand, and diaper them when free. It's more work than I'd do, but they're small, cuddly, curious, and can fend for themselves pretty effectively against housecats. I can see the appeal.
>>
>>2949297
>As outdoor ones they're messy and spiteful birds.
Lol what. The chinks have raised them for thousands of years, shepherding them through rice patties where they eat pest insects and fertilize as they go, without destroying the crop. So much more based than chickens.
>>
File: dsc_0094ew.jpg (754 KB, 2304x1536)
754 KB
754 KB JPG
>>2949637
Whatever you say bro. I've owned ducks and they need their drinking water changed daily. I even had a small pond with probably 10,000 gallons in it. They still shit it all up within a month and destroyed the plants around their favorite trampling spot. Chickens can be messy and will scratch up your lawn, but ducks are on a totally different level. And every time you have to pick one up, their underside is absolutely soaked and your hands will stink after they dry. Fucking ducks.
>>
>>2949698
You're meant to give them drinking water in something they can't jump in kek
>>
>>2949427
indoor chickens sound like a safer choice since wild animals can't catch them
>>
>>2949718
If it's your only chook and you care deeply about them, then yeah. Otherwise depending on your area it might be safe enough to free range them. That's what I do and I average about one predator strike per year. It's unfortunate, but I'd rather have my dozen birds get to run around with a little risk than lock them up all the time in perfect safety.
>>
>>2948061
Brahma
>>
>>2945061
>People just let them free range around town.

You see this in California now because of all the Mexicans
>>
>>2948559
I forgot to mention, her shit has been pretty watery and I haven't seen her eating when I've been out there today. I tried getting her to eat a blueberry out of my hand, but after she took it from me she dropped it and lost interest. She could just happen to be eating during the hours that I'm not outside watching them, but my other chickens fill their crops and it's pretty obvious, so I don't think that's likely. I can't feel anything in her crop. Since I already wormed them, I'm not really sure what else I can do. I don't want to give them too much of the medication since too much might harm them, and if she does have worms I have no idea if this particular medication (safe-guard goat dewormer) would even have any effect.
>>
>>2951013
At least not free roaming cats...
>>
>>2952014
Safeguard is okay for use in chickens. That behavior is bad news though, she is very ill and will not last much longer untreated. She could be suffering from any number of things, but it's probably an infection of some kind. A fecal examination would be really useful here to target the treatment. If you care about this bird: Vet, tomorrow. She will die soon otherwise. I can't stress this enough.

You might end up having this infection take down more hens, so at the very least: Have a necroscopy done so you know what killed her.
>>
Kauai is a tropical island where chickens run wild:

https://photofeathers.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/kauai-beach-chickens/
>>
>>2952311
I'm trying to find someone to surrender them to who's better equipped and more experienced than me. I'm a broke NEET who shouldn't have animals in the first place, I'll admit that I've lost control of the situation.
>>
>>2945061
singaporean here
sometimes i still see chickens roaming about near residential areas, and also beside the roads near forests. pretty cool.
>>
>>2952538
You're breaking my heart, anon, but I understand. I hope the poor girl passes easily.
>>
>>2952366
Would chickens there be able to find enough calcium for their shells?
>>
i love chickens
cute fluffy birds
>>
File: Nest-Of-Bills.png (353 KB, 541x465)
353 KB
353 KB PNG
>>2945055
My little hen comes inside every day to lay her eggs.
>>
I've had backyard chickens for 12 years now. Peaked at like 10 chickens, now it's down to four hens, all first and second generation. We've kept the original two roosters until they died around a year ago, aged 11-12. One of the original hens was one of those chicks that couldn't get out of its egg unless you helped (meaning normally it would've died) and that little girl managed to live for another whopping 10 years, despite being the lowest ranked, smallest and slightly crippled hen.
>>
>>2945061
I grew up in 1970s rural Singapore with a flock of kampung chickens, I loved them very much. Many had black skin and all were good fliers. Every now and again pythons would start taking them from the trees they slept in, so my father would catch the pythons and release them at Macritchie reservoir.
>>2945086
Best feeling!
>>2945088
I love when they get super-enthusiastic about something like a preying mantis.
>>2946050
So beautiful and healthy. Do they have names?
>>2948528
Lovely, easy birds but absolute diggers in the garden.
>>2951013
Sounds like heaven to me.
>>2952545
I heard that during the SARS crisis everyone in Singapore keeping chickens had their flocks removed and killed, including families on Pulau Ubin whose chickens had been with them for generations.
>>2952571
Seashells are made up of calcium, they might also eat small crabs and fish bones.
>>2953348
Keeping backyard chickens is a joy, isn't it?
>>
>>2945193
I'm in Seattle too. Tell me more, chikkinbro. I want to raise quail but I'm too busy and stupid
>>
>>2953439
Why not kill or eat the python?
>>
>>2946050
From left to right: Winnie, Favela (Easter egger/Americauna mix), cochi, butter, blue, tilly and P.C (perfect chicken)
>>
>>2953439
Replied to myself by accident, here are their names
>>2953641
>>
>>2953641
P.C? I know that look as "barred rock". What does P.C mean?
>>
>>2953641
Favela and Tilly are especially gorgeous. Are they good layers? Which hen is the leader?
>>
>>2945073
Compsagnathus
>>
File: Taking-Liberties.png (255 KB, 452x350)
255 KB
255 KB PNG
Naughty little hen likes to lay on beds, too.
>>
>>2945055
god damn do they taste good, but i feel guilty enjoying such a friendly animal.
>>
File: Sinking-Feeling.png (153 KB, 470x282)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
My hen also makes nests in the bathroom sink.
>>
>>2952311
I am going to put her down in a couple of minutes. Fuck. At least this is the last time I'll ever have to do this.
>>
>>2945061
of course you live in australia now
>>
>>2954091
>55 minutes ago
:(
>>
File: ceSZqyw.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2945055
>have five adult birds
>roost probably has enough space for one more, but not more than that
>run is ~8x8
What's a good method for preventing myself from impulse buying another two or three chicks?
>>
sup boys i just ordered 40 peeps and they will be here next week.

what should I cook from them in April?

these suckers are gonna water my lawn with blood when all is said and done
>>
Are quail chicken? I'm planning on keeping one at home just as a pet.
>>2945061
I lived in Thailand and they're cute. Even cuter when you see a hen leading her chicks around the houses, sometime running after her kid when they try to run up to a human.
>>
>>2954190
Self control.
>>
>>2954206
button quail are not good pets at all. very nervous. they just straight up and skin their heads/ break their necks.

what you want is a bobwhite. bobwhites are bigger, but bros. they act like chickens, but look smarter.
>>
>>2954209
Thanks. I'll look into bobwhite then.
Just wanted something small and energetic to keep me company.
>>
File: rooster.jpg (254 KB, 2048x1536)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>2952538
It's finally starting to sink in that I'm likely never going to see him again. He is so sweet.
>>
>>2953808
Perfect chicken, she is a barred rock. She gets the name for being sweetest as a chick, and laying first out of all
>>
>>2954030
I get 6 eggs everyday right now, the barred rock is the president and tilly is her VP
>>
>>2954374
Barred rocks are known for that. Absolutely darlings and good layers. They're not as prone to getting wrecked by egg binding as other strong layers too.
The oldest hen I ever has was a rock, and she made it to nine years.
Seven years of having an adorable spry hen scurry out to meet me every day when I got home. A bit over a year of having an adorable old hen hobbling out to meet me, and several months of having a sweet old bird squawking out for me from the coop when my car pulls in the driveway. She always just wanted to be nearby and would do her own thing within a few feet of me whenever I was working in the yard, always ready to accept some scritches or wing rubs when offered. Loved to get picked up and held, too. Especially when she started to have a hard time walking.

Losing that bird was traumatic; as bad as losing a dog. Her name was derpy, due to her weird legs and gait from having splayed legs as a chick. It never bothered her until her final years, she just ran around looking like a retard. So cute. Rest in peace my lovely chicken ;_;
>>
File: killme.jpg (38 KB, 808x805)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>2954572
>Her name was derpy
Post RUINED.
>>
>>2954574
I didn't name her lol. She was running and I said "derp derp derp" on each awkward step. My little brother called her derpy and it stuck. This was like 2009. Ponyfaggotry didn't even exist yet, so calm down.
>>
>>2945193
What the fuck did you build it out of, string and elmers glue?
>>
>>2949698
Ducks are fucking horrible
>>
>>2952366
>feral beach chickens
Haha
>>
>>2954578
You're probably literally right. My coop can take a two foot snow load (it won't accumulate more than that due to roof angle) and 60mph wind like it's nothing, and that's not even impressive. Just standard. Building a structure that collapses after a snow """storm""" in WA is embarrassing.
>>
I’m going to have to euthanize my Rhode Island Red, lads. Feels bad. She only just started laying but three weeks ago she developed this neurological condition that keeps getting worse. I can’t keep watching her fall over and have spasms in the mud....
>>
>>2955288
>I can’t keep watching her fall over and have spasms in the mud....
Merrick's disease? Or does that cause paralysis.
>>
>>2955402
Sorry, *Marek's disease. Dumb American here.
>>
File: 1539031996579.jpg (42 KB, 512x381)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>
>>2955288
RI Reds are such spunky and intelligent chickens, but they tend to suffer from terrible medical issues at a far higher rate than most other breeds. I've been avoiding the breed for years since the heartbreak of keeping them is just too much.
I'm sorry about your girl, anon.
>>
i know this is for chickens, but im curious on the tiny button quail, and how viable they might be for having a few as pets in place of a kind of parrot. does anyone have any suggestions/ info? if i do get them should i try incubating fertile eggs? its something that i've always wanted to try.
>>
>>2955652
Quail are comfy pets. Very docile and affectionate. Galliformes in general is full of adorable and easily domesticated birds. If you get a cock and hen, you can just leave them be and suddenly you'll have little ones. If you're space constrained though, I'd suggest getting two hens. Be warned though: Quail don't live for very long. Chickens can usually make it to 7-8 if given good care, but quail struggle to live much more than 4 years.
>>
>>2955733
>Chickens can usually make it to 7-8 if given good care
Lots of ornamental breeds can live to be 10+.
>>
>>2955737
Good to know. It's unfortunate that I don't like the look of most ornamentals though.
>>
>>2955886
I don't see why looks are a concern if your chickens actually mean anything to you.
>>
>>2955888
I feel like many of the fancy breeds look too artificial with the absurd plumage, and they can have health issues from it. The appearance doesn't matter with how I'd care for a particular chicken though. I've had accidental (given to me) silkies who ended up being a lot of work due to their unhealthy feather coverage and passive nature, but they certainly got the care they needed to have happy lives. If I'm going to be getting chickens for myself though, then why wouldn't I pick a breed that has aesthetics I prefer? Even if they only live 6-8 years, I still enjoy my barred rocks and wyandottes.
>>
>>2954572
My barred rock is kind of a bitch, I never get how people can raise chickens to be friendly. Every chicken I have was hand raised and gradually adjusted to hands but still grew up difficult
>>
>>2956025
>Barred rock
>Bitch
Are you autistic by any chance? You might be scaring her without realizing it. They're normally quite docile.
Chickens aren't usually lap pets anywat, but sometimes you'll get one like Derpy. She was definitely unique, her own person who acted quite unlike a normal chicken. Over the dozens of chickens I've had and 18 years I've been keeping them, I've only seen one other that behaved like she did. For all other chickens, the best you can hope for is for them to trust you, and tolerate the occasional touching/holding.
>>
>>2948550
My first thought is a white Sussex/silkie cross
>>
Im want to buy some chicks in the near future for meat. Use the chicken shit for fertilizer and start a garden. Also attempt to make a hydroponics fertilizer using chicken shit, bath salt, borax laundry detergent, ice melt, and eggshells.
>>
>>2954574
What exactly is the problem?
>>
File: 1530141222226.jpg (16 KB, 378x396)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
I've been very interested in getting some chickens for a while. With rescues are there a lot of health issues when you first get them home, past the usual skin and feather stuff?
>>
>>2956085
No, she just isn’t friendly. And attacks the other chickens but that’s because she’s the alpha.
>>
File: alpha.jpg (86 KB, 638x1000)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>2956258
>but that’s because she’s the alpha.
>every animal is a dog
Dog whisperer pls go.
>>
>>2956260
Look up chicken behavior, one hen will be higher ranked than the others. Do you even own chickens?
>>
>>2956261
That's why you get a rooster. A docile breed like Cochins too, so he polices the hens but won't attack you if you socialize him.
>>
>>2956262
If you don't have a rooster one of the hens will just act the part and can even grow spurs and shit. It works just as well except they're not as keen on predator detection. This is fine if they're mostly kept in a run though.
>>
>>2956281
>can even grow spurs and shit.
Bullshit.
>>
>>2956527
Okay fag, I've only been keeping chickens for like 15 years but whatever.
Oh look, a source to back me up.
http://www.answers.com/Q/Do_hens_have_spurs
>I just noticed that one of the hens has spurs that are about an inch and a half in length and very sharp and pointy. It startled me at first because my hands were close to her feet. I thought only roosters had them, but this one is definitely a hen. It was in the process of laying an egg in one of the nest boxes when I saw the spurs.
>>
>>2956527
>>2956537
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ATyCRx6rhM
Several of my older (7+ years) hens have spurs, this is one of them. In this next video, she is crowing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-xzyKcZyxM
>>
File: 20171213_151048.jpg (1.95 MB, 2560x1920)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>2956537
>>2956687
I stand corrected anons. This girl is the shot caller in my flock but she's never shown rooster type aggression, and she certainly doesn't have spurs.
>>
>>2956702
What a magnificent beauty of a hen! She is stunning.
In my experience, spurs are not necessarily correlated with bossiness or aggression, more like menopausal old age. I also reckon my elderly hens get occasional pale feathers about their faces, almost like grey hairs.
>>
Something broke into my chicken coop and killed some of my hens, I'm left with one hen and one rooster. I've since fixed the hole I found, and reinforced every part of the coop that might pose a hazard for more wild animals to get through. Will I be alright with just a hen and a rooster until I get a few more hens? I know chickens will get depressed if they're all by themselves, but with two of them I don't know. Also my rooster has never been rough with the hens, so that isn't an issue for just one.
>>
>>2957266
They'll be okay. Are you closing the hole between the run and coop at night? Not closing that hole up is usually how bad things happen to good birds.
>>
>>2945055
>discuss chicken related things.
Back when my grandpa was alive, we used to have chickens. One time when I was 10 or so, he showed me how to kill a hen that couldn't lay eggs anymore by closing her neck in a drawer and then helped me how to pluck her feathers out.
The killing part was nothing much, I mean I used to eat meat all the time and cleaned the fishes my dad brought home without batting an eyelid (because, c'mon. It's fish), but actually cleaning the carcass of a hen I had fed and petted and talked to in the years prior was awful and I felt horrible all the while. She was still warm. It was terrible.
>>
>>2957270
>Are you closing the hole between the run and coop at night?
I have been. The hole I found was about the size of my fist, at a low corner of the plexiglass roof. No idea how it formed, but it was probably a weasel that killed them.
>>
>>2957276
There are two ways to do things with livestock:
1. Keep them as food, never interact with them except for basic care
2. Keep them as pets and care for them until they're old enough that their quality of life is becoming poor
Mixing these is a recipe for disaster for any reasonably empathetic human. Killing a pet for food is exactly as awful as it sounds no matter the species.

>>2957278
Fucking weasels. Those bastards have gotten my birds before too. They don't even really eat them, just kill a few and browse on the corpses.
>>
File: IMG_20190304_143437.jpg (2.01 MB, 3328x1872)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
What do you coops look like? In the process of cleaning.
>>
>>2957306
You're not in a cold climate right? If my coop had gaps like that the poor birds would get frostbite on their combs.
>>
>>2957337
Western Washington state, the coldest it ever really gets is about freezing. I've used this coop for about a decade and have never had problems with frostbite.
>>
>>2957357
Yeah okay, not too cold then. I get single digits and negatives in fahrenheit for weeks, plus the occasional whipping wind here on the other side of the country in NH. I once lost a wonderful rooster to an infection from bad frostbite all along his comb. The coop was drafty, it was like -10, I was young and retarded. Poor guy.
>>
>>2945697
Imagine how much it would suck to ejaculate full-size chicken eggs from your dick. Not one, but six or so or however many spurts you usually do.
Anyone know about a weird Japanese porn flick where that happens, like the one with the girl who can shit out chainsaws?
>>
>>2949046
SLAMMED
>>
>>2957736
Whoa, what an epic post! Who else but 4chan amirite?

xD
>>
File: blue_cochin.jpg (502 KB, 1164x1740)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
bump
>>
>>2952311
>but it's probably an infection of some kind
I'm sorry, I know you're not omniscient, but does what happened to her seem at all similar to anything else you know of? The person I gave them to offered to take care of them until I get my shit together so I can give them nicer living conditions and have money to fall back on if I need a vet. I would really like my chickens back but I don't want this to happen again.
>>
File: Nina Hen.png (405 KB, 553x482)
405 KB
405 KB PNG
>>2948550
Yours looks like a bearded version of my 57 varieties hen Nina.
>>
I have a strange Barred Rock/ Phoenix Hybrid

She only makes honking noises, anyone have any idea why?
>>
>>2958491
Nothing specific. Chickens often do that when they are sick (stop eating). Sometimes there are obvious signs to the issue, like blood in the stool or a respiratory issue, but sometimes they just waste away without other symptoms, and it turns out there was a nest of worms in the intestines, or a disgusting infectious blockage in the crop that couldn't be felt, or whatever. Getting a fecal analysis is a huge step in the right direction, and the next step is getting an avian vet who knows what to look for on the case. She could have had a bad bacterial infection and simply needed the right antibiotics, or maybe she had parasites resistant to fenbendazole. You'd never know without the right equipment and knowledge.
>>
>>2958912
Alright, thanks. I was under the impression that like with mites, when one bird has worms the others almost certainly also have them too. Since the others (aside from the one I put down in December) were a healthy weight, I hadn't tried worming with something other than fenbendazole. It was odd. The silkie/easter egger mutt's condition only started to deteriorate close to two months after the first one had been put down.
>>
>>2958912
>>2958984
Continued, since I don't have my chickens at the moment I took the opportunity to completely clean out my coop and run. Picked up any old food scraps I could find, swept out all traced of wood shavings, washed their roost. Anything else I should do to make their living space as cleanly and safe as possible for them to come back to?
>>
>>2948528
Rocks are very approachable and learn the quickest out of any breed I have kept. I like to have a mix of barred and white rocks.
>>
>>2959029
Nah m8, unless you've got holes to patch or other infrastructure it seems like you're good to go.
>>
I want to get some white rocks like a dozen or so but I'm in Mexico and I can't find any. Do you think I'm out of luck?

I've brought game fowl from the USA but the broker fee is about $80 for each one. That makes a bit of sense for a $1k game broodcock but not so much for a dual purpose hen/rooster.

Is there another way? Here in MX I can only find barred rocks and they're far away.
>>
>>2956229
>make a hydroponics fertilizer using chicken shit, bath salt, borax laundry detergent, ice melt, and eggshells
Nigga u gonna die
>>
>>2959359
See if anyone is producing commercial meat chicks, cornish rock cross. They have to be getting their white rocks from somewhere.
>>
>>2959458
The ones I see in Mexico (ie. Facebook groups) are called Ross and Cobb. Maybe they're Cornish X's but they're not called so. I'll keep digging tho.
>>
>>2949637
Ducks are the filthiest creatures you can rear. They're also mean, spiteful, and incapable of affection.
Fuck ducks.
>>
>>2953059
Perfect... Picturesque... A Friend and Girl...
>>
File: 20190307_212633.jpg (293 KB, 1080x1437)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
>>
File: Chicken-House.png (364 KB, 639x481)
364 KB
364 KB PNG
>>2959788
I love my little hen.
>>
File: iu-97.jpg (256 KB, 1132x1376)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
Sup /chk/, I'm new to the chicken game. I want to raise chickens for their fresh eggs, and after a visit to TSC and some research I've determined that leghorns would be the best chickens for me. However, whenever I talk to anybody or watch youtube videos on the subject, I don't mention leghorns because I don't want to bias their recommendations. They always seem to recommend buff orpington or black australorps because of their tendency to be docile birbs. Since my main reason for raising chikkins is a fresh egg supply, should that even be a concern? Please let me know if you have any experience with leghorns, and if so, if you recommend them for egg layers or if there's a better breed out there. Thanks /chk/
>>
>>2960929
Leghorns are fine if you're min/maxing for egg production. Plymouth rocks give good eggs too, are more friendly, and most would say they're prettier, but if none of that is important to you then leghorns are a good choice.
>>
Have any of you bird brained butt fucks ever punched a chicken?
>>
>>2961755
Chickens are auto-punching if kept in groups of two or more (pecking order feature).
>>
What do you think happened here? Poor guy, looked like a seizure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCjkmdRgS84
>>
>>2962029
Nuts so hard he breaks his own neck.
what a legend.
>>
>>2962064
That's probably what ultimately killed him, but I'm wondering why he fell on his neck in the first place. Never seen anything like it.
>>
File: Pullet Sisters.png (216 KB, 275x484)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
Christmas babies growing up fast.
>>
File: 0fa.jpg (1.05 MB, 3264x2448)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>2952538
I told my neighbor who's much more experienced with poultry than I am about my situation, and he agreed to take care of them while I amass money so I can make living conditions nicer for them and can have emergency vet funds. I am going try again, should have them back in around a month after I renovate my chicken coop and redo the roof on their run. Things are looking up, I realized I can't live without them at this point.
>>
>>2962065
clearly that Cloaca was amazingly tight.
>>
>>2946047
P L U M P
L
U
M
P
>>
>>2948064
Why the fuck do they look like that? Literally I laughed 15 minutes to this fucking photo. Why would god do like this to these poor chickens
>>
File: rooster1.jpg (44 KB, 428x455)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
It's fucking devastating how much I love him because I know that I'll surely outlive him. I savor every day, he probably has another decade left in him but once he's gone I will have nothing. I should probably just try not to think about it, but it's always in the back of my mind. Having pets is the worst double edged sword if you truly care about them.
>>
I think one of my chicken is Incel shoduld I take it from
>>
>>2962275
I think the only way to abate this is to get another pet that grows up alongside your current amazing pet. That way when the first goes, the second still anchors you to the first and all the memories you had with them.
>>
>>2962237
They're the smashed&slammed of chickens. Most of the "fancy" breeds look retarded and end up getting their feathers all fucked up. Stick with stronk and capable heritage breeds.
>>
>tfw came into this thread after eating a bunch of fried chicken
feeling kind of bad now bros...
>>
>>2962743
Cornish Cross aren't even real chickens you're fine anon.
>>
I've been hearing about the anti-snake capabilities of chickens. Is it true?
>>
>>2962833
Depends on the individual bird. Some make really good mousers too.
>>
>>2962833
Mine are scared of snakes
>>
Why have I never witnessed my rooster mate with any of my hens in the five years I've had them? Is he a faggot?
>>
>>2963047
He thinks you're a faggot and doesn't want you getting off on watching him
>>
File: fox btfo.png (131 KB, 720x1280)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
Foxniggers eternally BTFO
Brittany : Fox pecked by thousands of chickens

A fox was pecked to death by thousands of chickens, according to Pascal Daniel, operation manager at Gros Chêne agricultural high school in Pontivy (Morbihan).

"I found it pecked by chickens, these are free range birds that are used to fight buzzards. Therefore when the fox entered the coop they had the opportunity to chase him, and it ended up trapped. The chicks ganged up , cornered him and hounded him as far as pecking his stomach"
>>
File: _20190313_151444.jpg (351 KB, 1186x677)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
This is biggus chicks, say something Nice to him
>>
File: 1551387207169.png (263 KB, 500x432)
263 KB
263 KB PNG
I fucking knew it, there's a chicken thread up, that's why there's a lot of chicken memes pouring into other boards.
>>
File: IMG_20171101_123623.jpg (50 KB, 552x494)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>2963864
This is my rarest chicken meme. It was made by a close friend. Use it well anon.
>>
File: 1534091680167.png (170 KB, 378x396)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
furfags btfo
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-47551786
>>
>>2964182
Feather pill was always the best pill available.
>>
>>2962833
https://youtu.be/yDTcp4HiZe0
Cobra vs cock
Chook 1 Snek 0
>>
>>2957366
You live in NH? I want to raise chickens (for the first time) and Im moving up there soon, I was wondering how the fuck I'd keep them warm and what breeds can handle the weather
>>
>>2964686
Yep
>Breeds
Plymouth rocks, cochins, rhode island reds + New Hampshire reds, etc. Heavier layers do great. Silkies have a tough time, as do any breeds with foot feathers since they get wet and freeze.
>Keeping them warm
A thick layer of bedding material, a fully enclosed coop, and heat lamps pointed at the perches when it goes below 5F or so.

Other considerations:
Water will freeze unless you heat it. I'm fond of bucket nipple waterers with submersible thermostat controlled stock tank heaters.
Butt feathers can get messy (and freeze) since they really can't dust bathe, so I pay attention to them and clear things up for any birds who have a problem.
Heat lamps can cause fires if they fall, mount them securely!
Don't use extension cords to get power in the coop, they fail. Run underground line and install an outlet for gods sake.
If you get a cock or a hen with a big comb then keep an eye on it. If the comb tips start to gray, then it's getting frostbitten. Vaseline works to keep frostbite from progressing. If the comb turns black then you'll need to clip the dead tissue off, debride the wound, and administer antibiotics. If you aren't comfortable doing this, then take it to the vet or might end up with a dead chicken.
If a bird gets bullied and ends up bleeding, the consequences can be far worse in winter. Pull any birds with blood on them and make sure they're dry, and have all the blood covered in anti-peck dye.

Chickens in NH winter can be difficult. Living in NH winter in general can be difficult. Might I ask where you're coming from from?
>>
>>2953641
sweet names OvO <3
>>
>>2960405
she's lovely <3
>>
>>2945073
I had some black Australorps. They were the chillist comphyest birds I've ever had the pleasure of working with. You could just walk up to them and pick them up with out any drama. Also great layers but the eat a shit ton of food. Fat AF birds
>>
>>2957287
I grew up in 4-H and got used to both honestly. I did not name my chickens but did hand raise and care for them. You just have always keep the end in mind, all chickens die.
>>
>>2965223
There's a big difference between pets that happen to be traditional livestock animals, and livestock. In 4-H they're clearly livestock. That doesn't mean you don't care for them, but you're professionally detached. Anon up the reply chain wasn't detached. He was a kid, and he saw the chickens as pets. He was emotionally bonded to them. You can't break that without hurting.
>>
File: 2018101895112834.jpg (85 KB, 720x960)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
From Key West
>>
File: 1535224069474.jpg (1.1 MB, 3264x2448)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>2957306
>>
I'm working again, so more money to spend on treats and shit for my chickens. Does anyone know of a website where I can buy a somewhat large amount of live mealworms (maybe a pound?). I fully expect that to be expensive, but they would love it.
>>
File: 2018101895112818_1.jpg (87 KB, 1040x780)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>
File: 1552444569954.png (110 KB, 225x300)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>2965518
IMAGINE THE SMELL
>>
>>2965562
Pine shavings? If you clean chick enclosures daily then that's what they smell like.
>>
bump
>>
>>2966563
Bump my dick in your ass, faggot
>>
>>2949698
This might be dumb question, but do you really need a body of water for ducc? Cant you just keep them how you’d keep chickens or ganders, in flocks on land?

Seems like an extra feature that’s nice but also an unecessary hassle
>>
>>2966867
>do you really need a body of water for ducc?
Yes. Ducks need water to bathe.
>>
>>2953439
dont post like this again please anon. its hard to read
>>
File: IMG_0230.jpg (1.62 MB, 1512x2016)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
Here's my new hen. I got her from my sister's family. Some kind of predator got into their coop and killed their other hens. I tried introducing her into my flock last weekend and they immediately started fighting. I kept them separated for eight days after building a small personal coop for her, and reintroduced her to the rest of the flock today. They still haven't warmed up to each other, but there's no fighting or picking. She seems really sweet.

QUESTION: What plants are good to have around chickens? I'm looking for plants that either drop a lot of edible fruit/foliage for chickens OR attract a lot of bugs that they can eat. I have a 6' tall privacy fence around part of my yard and I'm thinking about attaching some planters at the top, with the hope that they will drop goodies down for the birds naturally, without the plants themselves being overgrazed.
>>
File: 20180127_132543.jpg (1.96 MB, 2560x1920)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>2967068
Cute hen anon. 13/10 would feed a mealworm. And as for plants to both feed chickens and attract bugs they like to eat? Cherry mf tomatoes my guy. You'll get everything from little beetles and aphids to hornworms to size on your middle finger.
>>
>>2967169
I'll try it! I did (beefsteak) tomatoes for the first time last year but I think they I planted them too close to each other. Hopefully I'll get the mix right this time.
>>
File: handsome boy.jpg (2.49 MB, 2048x1536)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
I love long tailed breeds. I'd love to raise yokohama or onagadori one day.
>>
>>2967449
That tail seems like it might get caught in things/get dirty very fast.
>>
>>2967700
>>
>>2967747
What mystical beast is this?
>>
>>2967749
onagadori

If you've ever seen Japanese art with the long tailed rooster it was probably an onagadori
>>
>>2966812
Come on, say it with me!

B-A-S-E-D
>>
File: 1544661376879.png (69 KB, 211x240)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
What does a chick's cloaca fell like?
>>
File: redemption.png (1.52 MB, 1280x720)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
>>2952568
>>2952538
>>2962070
I got my chickens back today, and got them healthier food and a better water container. My new job starts next Monday too, so it will be easier to afford a vet/anything I might need in an emergency.

We are all going to make it, never too late for someone to change.
>>
>>2967933
Stretchy, sily smooth, muscular, and absurdly lava hot.
Source: I've had to remove bits of shell from several hens over the years after an egg broke inside them. Don't diddle chickens.
>>
Have you ever had one of your chickens fall asleep in your lap?
>>
>>2968068
Lol, I didn't expect normal answer.
(t. not >>2967933)
>>
>>2968138
He's lying, as a bird-lover let me just say a cats tounge doesn't just feel like sand paper.
>>
>>2968151
Now I'm confused.
>let me just say a cats tounge doesn't just feel like sand paper.
But they do...
>>
>>2968133
Yes and it's amazing. It can be difficult for them to be that relaxed around a human; a chicken that trusts you that much should be treasured. Extra bonus points if they're asleep for a long while, but don't freak out when they wake up.
>>
>>2968248
>tfw my rooster is that chicken for me
>the very same rooster I bought from a family friend who was going to kill him for being "too aggressive"
Maybe if you didn't hit him with a broom and hold him upside down he wouldn't have been so aggressive towards you, you stupid cunt. Who in their right mind thinks it's okay for a 150+ pound human to use physical force against a 10 pound bird?
>b-but they can make you bleed!
Big fucking deal, that's not an excuse. You can seriously hurt them by resorting to physical "discipline".
>>
>>2968251
Kicking roosters is a treasured past time in many parts of the world.
>>
>>2968260
>many parts of the world
That's a nice way of saying nonwhite countries.
>inb4 go back to /pol/
But it's true. Who do you most often see cockfighting? Mexicans and East Asians.
>>
>Buff orpingtons
>Black australorps
>Barred/Plymouth rocks (don't know the difference)
Which do I choose, I just want a couple chickens who will give me hugs and spend time with me
>>
File: fuck these things.jpg (1.68 MB, 3072x2304)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>2968274
You should get Cochins or Brahmas.

By the way, does anyone know how I can get burrs of my Cochins foot feathers? I accidentally let them out yesterday before all the burdock plants were removed, and a few of my cochin hens still have some burrs left in their foot feathers that I don't think I can pull off without hurting them.
>>
>>2968277
Brahmas look perfect for my tastes, thanks for the recommendation. The fluffy feet worry me though, is it a thing for breeds like that to shit in their own feathers by accident and walk around dirty?
>>
>>2968291
>is it a thing for breeds like that to shit in their own feathers by accident and walk around dirty?
I have all Cochins and that's very rarely a problem, but when you do need to clean their feet it's not really an issue since they're so docile. Be wary of mud for this reason. I've found that breeds like cochins and brahmas (whose intended purpose is largely to look pretty) are both friendlier and live longer than production chickens with featherless feet, so I think the trade off is more than worth it if you want chickens as pets.

I was not aware of this when I got my chickens, so my cochin rooster will almost certainly outlive his brown shaver girlfriends. I need to find some cochin hens for him, the hens I have now are in their golden years.
>>
File: burning in hel.gif (1.6 MB, 480x480)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB GIF
>>2968293
*mostly cochins
>tfw so stupid I contradict myself in the same post due to my lack of reading comprehension
>>
>>2968274
Buff Orpingtons are friendliest and jump on Laps
>>
File: Ayam Cemani.jpg (114 KB, 684x651)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>2963047
No. Your hens found someone better.
>>
>>2968362
>cannot make a single chicken general without at least one lowlife making a big black cock joke
Now THIS is epic!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.