[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 63 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next 72 hours. Click here to submit your application.

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

File: insects.png (862 KB, 1238x572)
862 KB
862 KB PNG
>total mass of insects disappearing 2.5% per year
>50 half less, 100 years completely gone
>80% biomass of all insects disappeared in last 30 years

tell me why I shouldn't worry
>>
this is all going to their plan. Don't worry bro
>>
>>2939707
Fuck insects, 90% of them are just faggots, that drink blood and spread AIDS.
>>
>>2939707
Honey bees kill huge populations of native bees and insects
>>
>>2939714
More like faggot wasps, that aren't controlled well and were introduced in some shitholes
>>
>>2939707
>>50 half less, 100 years completely gone
Assuming the decline is linear and will remain linear, which it won't
>>
>>2939717
If not linear, wouldn't it be exponential?
>>
>>2939719
>implying there are only two forms of growth and decline
>>
>>2939716
That too, but literally honey bees. Just Google it real quick.
>>
>>2939707
Because life will balance out as it always has and always will or all life will go extinct.

I mean those are your two choices and there isn't a third so why worry?
>>
>>2939752
>there isn't a third
Yes there is, the third choice is to stop acting like niggers and take responsibility of our actions.
>>
>overly simplistic interpretation of nature, overly simplistic statistics
Ecology doesn't work like that. Insects and the nature they support will survive long past the extinction of humans,
>>
>>2939707
>tell me why I shouldn't worry
because the statistics may be misleading.

it's like the bird problem. People like to point out that almost 1/2 of wild birds die off every year, so they must be going extinct. In reality their numbers are way up from lows in the early 1900's because it's perfectly normal for almost half of wild birds to die every year.

Or the decline of the honeybees which environmentalists love to tout despite the fact that honeybees are a domestic species whose numbers fluctuate but are certainly not in any danger of extinction. Because we breed them.

There's a large market for alarmist environmental "science." You can choose to be part of that weak-minded market or you could perhaps worry about actual environmental threats, of which a fair number exist.
>>
>>2939796
Nah reading academic articles, understanding them, and critically evaluating them is too hard. I'll stick to the alarmist simple pop science websites and 'did you know!?' Facebook pictorials thanks.
>>
>>2939719
Stay in school.
>>
>>2939714
Don't they also help invasive plants that co-evolved with them spread by pollinating them?
>>
>>2940059
Yes. It can help spread introduced plants depending on the area and what plants there are. Clover isn't really invasive is it?

How honeybees and bumblebees impact their local environment really varies from place to place. In New Zealand honeybees and bumblebees can live alongside native bees for the most part. Recent study supported this.
>>
>>2939796
>it's perfectly normal for almost half of wild birds to die every year
But that article isn't saying there are a lot of insects that die every year but that the observed number of insects alive declines every year.
>>
>>2940073
Well no shit, developing areas have less insects. More areas are being developed. There are still wild areas and reserves where the insects are fine. This is the problem with overly simplistic world-average statistics. It's like how feminists look at th overly simple wage gap statistic and then make up their own reasons in their head as to why it is happening. Nuance matters. Even down to microclimate scales insects are affected. Shitting your pants thinking all of the insects will disappear and the world will implode over that simple headline is retarded.
>>
>>2939757
Make me
>>
>>2940076
Are they fine though? I was under the impression that the studies took place in nature reserves. I could be wrong, so if you have some source that says otherwise, please show me.
>>
>>2939796
You’re completely missing the point. Every species has a normal mortality rate, yeah, which is why big fluctuations in observed individuals in the wild is alarming. When you know a species normal fecundity and mortality rates and then observe less and less individuals that means that something is effecting them beyond the normal factors.

So if you have 10 birds and half die every year but then someone shoots three or something then you’d see less in next years observed count. From that you can assume that there’s some other factor impacting the population.

I do think the point about breeding is a good one but with wildlife you don’t want a monoculture anyway, and seeing a species like honeybee decline is alarming because imagine all the other species that aren’t as headline grabbing that are also experiencing these effects.
>>
>>2940232
You've done nothing but show me that you don't deserve this planet.
>>
>>2939772
Extinction is irreversible. you are dilletante with an extremely shallow understanding of ecology.
>>
When fucking mozzies will die?
>>
>>2939719
could be logarithmic or polynomial
>>
>>2939796
Bird populations are declining in range and abundance all around the world. Only a few localized cases such as the end of the plume trade and various wildlife refuges, and conservation wins have produced the opposite outcome since the early 1900s. Novel ecosystems provide habitat for a select few-often non native-species-often causing great harm to naturalized communities. Overall there has been a sharp decline in biodiversity at every level. You have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>2940438
If you build a new housing estate over grassland, there will be overall less insects in the world.
>>
>>2940459
Fuck birds too. But too bad that pigeons and shit thrive.
>>
>>2940499
This is why commieblocks are superior. Concrete and asphalt keeps insects away.
>>
>insects will be completely gone in 100 years
How anyone with a brain can believe this is behind me. What, even the roaches and flies will disappear now?
>>2940234
Link the study or share a citation where OP got his stupid overly simplistic tidbits of doomsday information then. Let's check the methods and see if the studies are over extrapolating their findings from a few places to the entire world, and then claiming all insects will vanish in 100 years.
>>
>>2939707
That's not how percents work. If you have 1000 bugs and you lose 2.5% in a year, you lose 25 bugs. But then if you lose 2.5% again next year, you only lose 24 bugs. Diminishing losses nigga.
>>
>>2939707
fake news
>>
>>2939707
>tell me why I shouldn't worry
Because the issue is politicized, and so it's all just some alarmist rhetoric from the opposing political party. So ignore the scientists who are obviously lying for more funding money, and continue to pollute and kill animals as you please.
>>
Whether or not this is alarmist, there's so much we could be doing towards improving the environment. Think of all the pointless jobs in the world, if we shifted from a world that makes money from making and selling pointless shit to a world that makes money from improving the environment and green energy industries , all those millions of pointless jobs could be replaced with meaningful and ultimately fulfilling jobs
>>
Agriculture was a mistake. We upset the balance at that point and it's been snowballing ever since. We can't fix this in our lifetime.
>>
>>2940567
Yes, I'm sure a giant meteor will do much less damage than humans and will save all of the beautiful wildlife. Also life isn't some magical balance that has always been balance up until humans came to be. It is chaotic. Climate changes. Ecologists change. Animals die out and evolve. Humans doing what they do is a part of this chaos and you are a normie brainlet who should kill themselves.
>>
>>2939707
Is this another one of those political scaremongering hyperbole things like global warming or is this the real deal? I can't help but roll my eyes when I see a headline like 'threaten collapse of nature'
>>
>>2940577
It can be perfectly normal and still be terrible for us.

Yeah, extinctions happened before us, and will continue to happen no matter what we do, but these specific extinctions will hurt us. I don't really care about the insects themselves, but we need them. If the bugs die, whole ecosystems die. No ecosystems = much less food. Much less food = more 3rd world migrants.
>>
>>2940577
I'm just saying, it could have been better with us. And if we are going to wreck everything anyways, why not a giant meteor? We at least know that life on Earth can withstand that kind of reset.
>>
>>2940588
So life can not withstand humans existing (life will collapse and earth will be devoid of life)? What kind of brainwashing have you endured to think that humans are worse than Satan and will destroy life? Even dust mites? Even roaches?
>>
>>2940612
>So life cannot withstand humans
Who knows? Not like we've tried this before. It's not brain washing to consider the possibility when we are already capable of wiping out nearly everything in an under a year.
>>
>>2940584
Absolutely. Life will still go on and do its thing regardless of what happens, but all this shit is important if people care about humanity. Ecosystems won't die by the way, they will change, and this change will negatively impact humans physically and mentally. Ecosystems as they currently stand benefit humans surviving. Changes will affect humans and other extant living things. However humans and current life vanishing does not equate to life vanishing. We are a mere blip in time and we are nothing. The tigers, the tuna, the polar bears,The humans. We don't matter all that much. Life goes on without us until the sun swallows the solar system.

But right here right now in our lives a healthy environment is nice and responsible people work to protect that.
>>
>>2940617
>wiping out nearly everything in under a year
What fantasy world are you living in? You think some nuclear/atomic weapons can wipe out all life and that somehow someway there will be a global organization of weapons so that every square inch of earth will be blasted all at once, and absolutely nothing not even microorganisms in the ocean will survive?
>>
>>2939707
because it's out of your control.
>>
>>2940619
Nearly everything, yes. As you stated previously, cockroaches and mites etc would likely survive. But we are talking future here. Do you really not believe we could someday possess the capability to destroy all life on this planet? That seems absurd to me in this timeline. Call it brainwashed if you wish but I must disagree, I believe I am being open minded if anything.
>>
Yeah i dont see no decline honestly last year was the most insects ive seen in years. Sounds like pop science shit
>>
File: 8WmbJaK.jpg (433 KB, 1600x1200)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
>>2940651
>>
>>2940657
This ship is in the stall definitely...
>>
>>2940629
Humans and many animals we know now will die, but life will continue to do its thing.
>>
>>2940629
You claim to be open minded but don't seem to be open minded about the possibility that life won't just vanish completely and utterly.
>>
>>2940554
But that looks less profitable
>>
>>2940554
enter: Adolf Hitler
>>
File: q5ou2i64xcb11.png (2.13 MB, 1440x2125)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB PNG
>>2939707
does this make pic related not cringe material, then?
>>
>>2940804
Capital punishment by flamethrower for these drones when?
>>
File: cat 5.jpg (39 KB, 219x371)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2940804
what the absolute fuck
>>
>>2940076
>There are still wild areas and reserves where the insects are fine
>"The new data was gathered in nature reserves across Germany "
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/18/warning-of-ecological-armageddon-after-dramatic-plunge-in-insect-numbers

The decline is found in this wild areas and that's exactly why people worry.
>>
>>2940804
That's just a vegan poser. A true nature lover would be too busy practicing coprophagia. This is your daily reminder to become a Breatharian coprophagist
>>
>>2940914
Oh Germany represents the whole world now . Was there any development or farming around these reserves?
>>
>>2940914
So the insects you know and love die. Hell, it might cascade and you might die. Then other shit flourishes in their/your place. Shit takes time though. You haven't got much. Nature does. I never did get to see a dodo. Other birds seem to be doing pretty well though. There's a fuckton of seagulls iirc.
>>
>>2940746
Hitler was an environmentalist, but a vegan poser.
>>
>>2940914
Germany is probably worlds strongest chemical industry, so it is to be expected, some (((Bayer))) just decided to hide the facts.
>>
>>2939707
You can't stop it. Niggers and non-white populations are exploding. They'll suck the planet dry and destroy it.
>>
>>2940931
If the dodo still existed now and the dodo was going extinct, people would surely be arguing that the dodo is a keystone species and the world,will collapse if the dodo disappeared. Would be the same for mammoths or thylacines or any other recently extinct animal. Things change. Things die. Things live. What we should be worried about is ourselves and our own interests. Eg; I work in conservation and entomology research because I want certain animals to live. It is a passion. I am also interested in preserving clean environments for myself and my future children to grow in. I am not doing this because I think Mother Nature will die without human intervention/humans disappearing or whatever.
>>
>>2940966
>arguing that the dodo was a keystone species

A highly specialized, island locked species. As opposed to discussing the loss of so many species we have to describe it terms of raw biomass. Species that play a base role in ecosystems worldwide.

The dodo was a tragic loss, but at the end of the day it held little more significance then being an evolutionary curiosity.

If we don't sort out our shit with insects we could be facing worldwide famine.

What's more likely though is that it will get to some critical point, at which time desperate legislation will be made around what pesticides we can use or something that will protect important species. There will be some recovery of certain species and things will sort of be ok, but we'll still have to deal with some of the more permanent consequences.
>>
>>2940459
He's one of those people who pretend they're too clever for the experts and see through the bullshit despite espousing nothing but bs themselves. Hasn't even read the study in the OP let alone anything else.
>>
>>2940966

>works in conservation and entomology

>thinks an isolated bird on a small island is the same as global decline of the world's reason we even have ecosystems
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>>2940966
>I work in conservation and entomology research
Yeah as the guy who cleans the floor once the scientists are done
>>
>>2941426
No, I am not saying they are the same, I said that if the dodo existed now people would believe that if the dodo existed ecosystems would collapse. There are a lot of stupid people in the world.
>>
>>2941431
Year, because all researchers must have the exact same philosophies and think the exact same way.
>>
oh man I've been hearing about this recently too

Of all the animals to be on the decline, insects being the ones is the worst news of all
>>
>>2941609
People tend to overlook invertebrates, even though invertebrates are vital to the functioning of all ecosystems. The essay 'the little things that run the world' by Edward o. Wilson is a good short read that anyone interested in nature should read.
This link should work bringing you to a free pdf http://faculty.washington.edu/timbillo/Readings%20and%20documents/ABRIDGED%20READINGS%20for%20PERU/Wilson_1987_Little_things_that_run.pdf . Some websites hide this essay behind a goddamn paywall.
>>
File: 1541998562829.png (422 KB, 948x786)
422 KB
422 KB PNG
>>2940966
The dodo was just a single species of bird native to a very small area. Insects are declining massively all over the world.
>>
>>2941629
I didn't see anywhere where that anon equated dodo going extinct to insects generally declining in numbers (in German reserves supposedly).
>>
>TLDR fuck off with the insecticides
Is this correct?
>>
>>2941696
All sorts of things can impact invertebrate numbers. Insecticides is only one of them. 'Eco-friendly' activities can also affect invertebrate assemblages in a local area. Eg: rearing bee colonies, planting vegetable gardens, planting monoculture tree forests.

Sometimes low numbers isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes an area with have a very high density of insects, but the insects are of common species with similar functions. And then there are areas with low density of insects but the species are rare/endemic and with high functional diversity. It is really important to look at the fine details.
>>
>>2940531
This is the correct answer. I like how good answers usually don't get responses.
>>
>>2940567
*private property
>>
>>2940577
This extinction is way more rapid than the previous 5, and is very preventable.
>>
>>2940934
Sure, but if the stuff that kills insects, whatever it is, travels by air so well it might become a problem everywhere eventually, no matter how far from the next populated area.
>>
>>2940966
That's everyones reason here, I guess. 'Nature' will fix itself, with or without insects, it's only some of us prefer to keep them.

There are still bigger and cuter species going extinct than insects, those are just getting a lot of focus because if they vanish a lot of big and cuddly public favourite animals and plants will follow.
>>
>>2941757
More rapid declines in overall animal species numbers than the Cretaceous period meteor? You sure mate?
>>
>>2942113
>The sedimentation rate and thickness of K–Pg clay from three sites suggest rapid extinction, perhaps less than ten thousand years.
https://authors.library.caltech.edu/36545/7/Mukhopad3.sup.pdf
The Cretaceous extinction was quick, but in a geological sense. The asteroid didn't just go boom and blow up everything, it caused massive environmental changes that suffocated the planet. That was the real killer, not the impact.
>>
>>2939707
>>total mass of insects disappearing 2.5% per year
>>100 years completely gone
It's hard to trust the ecology study coming from people who are this bad at math.
>>
File: 1540801336975.jpg (11 KB, 740x70)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>2939707
>50 half less, 100 years completely gone
Nigger who can't do math detected.
This reminds me of why usury/compound interest shouldn't be legal lol.
>>
>>2939707
>Populations will continue to change at the current rate for all time
t. retard
>>
>>2942515
Yes exactly. So humans existing caused even more rapid global extinctions than the meteor impact AND the massive enciromnental changes that suffocated the planet?
>>
>>2941531
You can't even type a legible sentence without forcing people to infer your point. I might just believe you're a tenured scientist on that point alone, but the rest of what you say is conjecture and garbage.
>>
>>2939752
Does this mean huntsmen will finally evolve wings?
If so it's the perfect excuse to kill myself.
>>
>>2939707
lol nigga they just bugs who gives a fuck
>>
>>2939772
>Extinction of humans
Short of a dinosaur meteor, we will never die out
>>
If insect disappear i hope those fucking asian hornet get fucked they are fucking agressive it's fucking scary how much they hate everything
the european one are okay tho
>>
>>2939757
i already recycle cardboard and water bottles what else do you want
>>
>>2939709
get a load of this guy
>>
>>2944027
lol
>>
>>2940554
Shut up you pinko faggot
>>
>>2939796
>certainly not in any danger of extinction
you're not wrong but I think the bigger concern id the massive spread of disease and parasites due to global trade

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.