[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: yxeok4wpwe54cn9y05j1.jpg (34 KB, 800x450)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Feel free to share and discuss anything bird related here, whether it be about pet birds or wild birds.

It is very effective to tame and train pet birds using clicker training:
https://hari.ca/avian-care/behavior-training/clicker-training-parrot-modify-behavior/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z-yiDIjn2s

Feed your pet birds a varied diet, not just on seed mix, or else their lifespan may be cut short.

>DIY bird cages
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/buildingacage.html

>Bird ID
https://www.allaboutbirds.org

>Bird Discord
https://discord.gg/Nn8zpGZ

>Old Thread
>>2921850
>>
Finally a proper thread.
>>
File: cockatiel_babies_600px.jpg (410 KB, 600x905)
410 KB
410 KB JPG
My message was left unanswered:

>>2938255 #
Ok thanks. I read that cockatiels are kinda like a middle tier bird, not the easiest but not the hardest either.
I have a relatively large one room apartment, I can fit a big cage in there easily. Can I keep the bird in my "living room" (read=the only room) or will it get scared of the TV?

And what about my friends, will the bird get scared if I have a few friends over? Or If I put some music on, not too loud of course
I'm a student and I go to school only for 4 hours in a row max
>>
>>2938368
Gay bois
>>
>>2938372
Wouldn't recommend keeping a parrot in the same (single) room as where you live and sleep. Don't know about cockatiels but other cockatoos produce a very fine powder which isn't healthy to breathe in all day. Either way you'll need to clean a lot (as in vacuum at least once a day).
If you tame and socialize it properly it should probably be fine with other people, but remember that every bird has its own personality. Some like all people, some are cunts that don't like anyone, others like only a single person. It depends. 4 hours alone is fine. In fact, you don't want to be around your bird too much as a sole person because it may get attached a bit too much to you and see you as its mate, which isn't good because as a human you cannot satisfy its needs in that department. Best to get a pair.

Also fuck off with the discord, OP. Keep that faggotry to yourself.
>>
bros is it true that chigguns aren't as retarded as people think
>>
File: upside down.webm (2.84 MB, 360x640)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB WEBM
>>
>>2938431
>chigguns
who?
>>
>>2938438
chickens, sorry lad guess I was memeing it up a little too much
>>
File: tv.webm (2.94 MB, 640x360)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
She's obsessed with the tv.
>>
I really want a hawk, I'm fairly certain white hawks are suitable for my location and is my favorite animal, how would I be able to get a hawk?
>>
File: PSX_20190209_105338.jpg (1.76 MB, 2473x2866)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
TX owl guy again.

Robins are flocking. There have to be several dozens of them. They're hard up for these berries on a tree in my backyard. Wish /kot/ was still alive to sit in the window and enjoy the show.
>>
>>2938482
Why do you want one? They aren't pets
>>
>>2938427
Wtf are they poisonous. Now I want one more than ever so I can poison people
>>
>>2938503
What? No they aren't poisonous. But the powder that they produce is so fine it will fuck up your lungs if you breathe it in long term.
>>
>>2938504
How bad is it, compared to ordinary dust, or cement dust, or drywall dust?
Or even worse, glass dust, or asbestos.
>>
>>2938529
Obviously not nearly as bad as asbestos or anything. Just something to be conscious of.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_fancier%27s_lung
>>
>>2938531
So, basically it is just allergy thing, where some people are extremely sensitive and other aren't, right?
>>
File: Birb4.jpg (56 KB, 532x943)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
I'm still waiting on the BBL to approve my permit for a ruby throat population study this spring.
Also 3 more months until the hummingbirds are here :(
>>
File: aloittelijat-pelko.jpg (106 KB, 500x763)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>2938531
>>2938534
God damn. Well it said that "people who own many birds", I don't think one bird is anything horrible, if I clean a lot and all that.
Or maybe I get superpowers?
>>
>>2938556
Just give the bird regular showers/baths and clean a lot, should be fine. Tons of people keep birds. My point was that keeping it in the same room as where you live and sleep might not be good for your health. Also because they tend to wake up and make a lot of noise early in the morning.
That's actually the reason why this >>2938461
cutie is still at my parents' and not my student apartment.
>>
https://youtu.be/ZbRrxw-H6xA
>>
>>2938556
Honestly, I didn't know that this bird dust can cause any problems at all, considering that birds kinda sensitive to air quality, which suggests that some people are more allergic to it, than others.
I have an African grey (actually my parents, since I moved to other country... at least for a now), which is a pretty dusty bird, and I didn't noticed much extra dust in house, even though he doesn't like bathing at all.
>>2938570
>My point was that keeping it in the same room as where you live and sleep might not be good for your health.
Maybe, but I think that regular ventilation of room and cleaning should help.
>>
File: comfy pupper.jpg (23 KB, 497x512)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>2938570
>>2938572
Yeah I know, I'm still a bit nervous since I have no experience in birds and it would be a real shame if the bird would destroy my life with constant screeching or something. I have read that very few people are allergic to birds, it's much more rare than being allergic to dogs or cats
But man I want a bird. I read of this bird who "screamed non stop from 6am to 9pm". I'm sure that they do chirp and sing and sometimes screech but I hope I could live with it

I'm going to see some birds probably next week, some woman has a big flock of them and raises them by herself. She is very famous for her good business
>>
>>2938583
> if the bird would destroy my life with constant screeching or something
Just keep in mind, that you can get rid of bird, by giving it to rescue center or re-homing it.
>"screamed non stop from 6am to 9pm"
At least most of them are quiet during night if covered with blanket.
During day it is not that annoying.

By the way, I'm thinking to get a female for my African grey, and I'm thinking about business... What should I expect, besides twice as much poo and food consumption?
African grays in my area cost $2000...
>>
>>2938596
Yeah I know, but it would feel horrible to get one and then give it away.

Holy shit those are expensive... Cockatiel is like 100-150€
>>
>>2938601
>Holy shit those are expensive... Cockatiel is like 100-150€
Indeed.
They also got more expensive, since there are some restrictions on capturing wild ones. I got mine only for $800 back in 2013... Still expensive, but I kinda always wanted one.
>>
>>2938596
>Just keep in mind, that you can get rid of bird, by giving it to rescue center or re-homing it.
This hardly seems like responsible advice. Rescue centers have finite resources. People should be absolutely sure they can commit to caring for a long lived and emotionally-needy animal before they get one
>>
File: macaw.jpg (81 KB, 850x587)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>2938605
Nice. Big parrot would be cool AF though. I was once in this bird place and saw this kind of parrot, it was blue like this and extremely big. When it flapped it's wings I almost shat myself
Man that's cool
>>
>>2938611
>Big parrot would be cool AF though.
They're cool.
> I was once in this bird place and saw this kind of parrot, it was blue like this and extremely big. When it flapped it's wings I almost shat myself
Honestly, wings are the last thing I'd worry. Gulls have larger wings I'd say.
Beaks are definitely scary, and starting with birds like African grays they get quite dangerous.
>>
I can't get my dang green winged macaw to step up from its cage on its own volition. Even when luring food over my arm.
>>
>>2938715
Practice more, let it know, that you won't fuck off, and it is better to just step up.
Also, post your setup, if you have door on top - try using it.
>>
>>2938743
>>2938715
I can make him reach over my arm and grab the food out of my hand. Sometimes he ignores the treat and he starts to tap his beak into my arm to regurgitate food for me (mating/hormone behaviour) but he doesn't step up; I take my arm away as I don't want to encourage this behaviour.

I'm trying to train him step up on his own now. I would get him to step up usually by shoving him onto my arm from behind or taking the top of the cage off where he eagerly steps onto my arm (he knows who's boss now).
>>
>>2938431
They aren't. I mean, they're not fucking geniuses or anything, but they're smarter than most think.
https://youtu.be/_qLs2K4UXXk
This video shows how trainable they are, but what you don't see is they pick up on these things pretty fast. Anything that gives them food or hurts them they learn lightning quick.
>>
>>2938903
Looks like they can BTFO some parrots in terms of train ability.
>>
>>2938368
A thread is not proper until it has an official discord link attached. Feels good man. Fuck the other threads without the discord link.
>>
>>2938611
So cool and fun, they will retain their coolness and novelty for all 80 years of their life and you will ever regret all of the hard work it takes to maintain the welfare of the animal. Go ahead and get one. Everyone should get a large parrot. It's easy and fun.
>>
>>2938777
You sound so unprepared to own any bird. Rip to you and the bird. Also fuck macaw breeders. They breed too many of the birds and sell the birds to anyone.
>>
File: 1535656838496.png (179 KB, 566x423)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>2938916
vultures too apparently
>>
>>2938985
Alright, I'll be sure to give my pet bird belt whippings for that comment you made. I hope you're proud of yourself.
Fucking hippy
>>
File: rosie16.webm (2.78 MB, 960x540)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>
File: 1499199349446.jpg (136 KB, 533x503)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
How come birds can hold their shit all night (as evidenced by their monstrous morning shits) but can't hold their shit during the day? Do they do it just to fuck with us?
>>
>>2938985
>They breed too many of the birds and sell the birds to anyone.
That is called free market.
>>
>>2938601
Cockatiels are $20 in my country. Sometimes $20 a pair actually.
>>
>>2939137
During night they don't have to fly, while during day they're always ready.
>Do they do it just to fuck with us?
Also this, my parrot treats me as designated shitting perch for some reason.
>>
>>2939013
Vultures are amazing birds, very smart for birds of prey. Parrots are definitely intelligent birds, but their autism gets in the way of learning an awful lot. Birds little pigeons, chickens, vultures, they stay more focused on specific goals. Parrots are likely to fuck off and do whatever they want, or spaz out.
>>
>>2939140
A free market with regulation would be nice, for the sake of fucking animal welfare at least, but everyone has their own values and priorities so whatever. Backyard mass breeders can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>2939195
Fuck your regulations. Because of that taking tiny lil bird from one country to other is absolute bureaucratic hell, while illegal wild-captured birds are imported without any effort.
>Backyard mass breeders can go fuck themselves.
You know, birds need mates ideally, in some shitholes it is even illegal to own single bird.
When you have two birds, at some point you will have to deal with chicks. Either sell them, or gift.
>>
>>2939200
Well fuck your careless attitude toward the welfare of animals suffering in the pet trade you fucking nigger, go kill yourself. I think animals like cockatoos and macaws shouldn't be sold to unprepared owners like a ducking white trash single mom with kids who don't know shit, and I don't think the birds should be bred en masse for profit. But that is not how it is so fuck it. Il complain about it on the internet if I want to. Oh and backyard breeders can go fuck themselves.
>>
File: paper box.webm (2.83 MB, 320x180)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB WEBM
anyone enjoying these?
>>
>>2939210
Rosie is the cutest retard I have ever seen. Tell her that I love her please
>>
>>2939205
>Well fuck your careless attitude toward the welfare of animals suffering in the pet trade you fucking nigger, go kill yourself.
Well, fuck you too, also consider suicide.
>I think animals like cockatoos and macaws shouldn't be sold to unprepared owners
Price tag of $1000 does exactly that.
In general macaws and other expensive birds aren't abused that frequently, as cockatiels, lovebirds and other budgies, which cost no more than $200.
Also, birds, that was gifted are often abused too, this is why selling makes more sense.
>I don't think the birds should be bred en masse for profit
There is nothing wrong with it. Actually, this is better, since it will lower the price on birds, and illegally captured birds won't be profitable to sell.
>Oh and backyard breeders can go fuck themselves.
So, you don't like birds being abused, yet you don't want people to let them fuck. That's nice.
By the way, >>2938777 sounds like a person, who actually has a bird and knows what he is doing, while you sound like "ban em all" asshole.
>>2938777
Get a clicker, and practice "Step up", while he is not in cage.
This worked with my African grey.
Sometimes he's stubborn in cage too, but usually I force hand into belly slightly, he doesn't like it (since he looses balance) and he steps up.
>>
>>2939200
Bird babies are way easier to deal with than mammal babies. Just take the egg and crack it into the sink. Status: Aborted.

>>2939210
I love Rosieposting
>>
>>2939224
>Price tag of $1000 does exactly that.
Good joke

Also I like how you are okay with more birds suffering if it makes bird prices cheaper. It is also possible to let birds breed without making it a 'parrot mill' business for profit. It is possible to boil the eggs or let the birds sit on fake eggs. That other anon person does not know what he is doing if he doesn't even know the bare basics. Clicker training step up is extremely elementary. I bet you will give away your African grey in a few years and eventually it will end up plucking itself. Also kill yourself.
>>
>>2939224
>Get a clicker, and practice "Step up", while he is not in cage.
>This worked with my African grey.
>Sometimes he's stubborn in cage too, but usually I force hand into belly slightly, he doesn't like it (since he looses balance) and he steps up.

He can step up fine outside the cage and hates sitting on a perch as he gets bored easily so he sits on my knee most of the time. He's just not eager to leave his cage. I got him to step up once from his cage today but I stopped after that since I know he won't do it again. He'll bite sometimes if I force him to step up which is why I'm trying to get him to do it without having to resort to that.
>>
>>2939237
Don't force an intelligent bird to do things. Pressing against a bird to force a step up is a shit tier normie mistake. That won't end up well long term.
>>
I know I should train a bird for 5 min but how many training sessions can I do? How long breaks?
>>
>>2939237
>He'll bite sometimes if I force him to step up
That is to be expected.
>He can step up fine outside the cage and hates sitting on a perch as he gets bored easily so he sits on my knee most of the time
I guess I found the problem.
Do you have toys on perch? Try moving his favorite toys from cage to perch. He should love hanging outside of cage.
>>
File: window.webm (2.92 MB, 640x360)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB WEBM
jesus why did I record so much video of this birb
>>
>>2939239
Yeah, hence I'm trying to make him do things on his own. But it feels that he doesn't know what he should be doing still as he's really old and I wonder if he's just so old that he can't learn tricks as well. He's around 20 years old.

>>2939243
I tried making him a toy to play with but he didn't seem too interested in playing with it. I'll try bringing his old toys over and see how it works.

Also he has a bad habit of clipping/biting his own wings, not plucking as far as I know. I want to flight train him but I think his feather are too fucked up to do it properly.
>>
>>2939245
is this just some random person's house you walked by?
>>
>>2939248
You don't walk by people's houses and film children & animals through their windows? Pleb....
>>
>>2939232
Indeed.
But there are problems with that method.
They will make even more eggs, which might result in female health problems. Lovebirds that my parents had, were behaving weirdly after that, and male got into plucking.
Anyway, why would you flush $1000 (in case of bigger parrots), which are supposed to satisfy parenting instincts of your birds?
>>2939233
>It is possible to boil the eggs or let the birds sit on fake eggs.
Boiled eggs are temporary solution, since they will get rotter relatively fast.
Fake eggs are better, but I'd personally use only if siblings decided to lay eggs, since those chicks will be weak, and will die very fast.
>That other anon person does not know what he is doing if he doesn't even know the bare basics.
If you think so, you better explain what to do, not shitpost about breeders that sell birds, faggot.
>I bet you will give away your African grey in a few years
Why would I do this, considering I have it for 6 years no, and we had zero issues so far?
Also, just think about this. I'm dealing with bureaucracy in order to move him abroad...
> and eventually it will end up plucking itself.
At least I know what to do in that case, and how to prevent this in first place.
>Also kill yourself.
So, you want this bird to suffer, right?
>>
>>2939248
No, my own house
>>
>>2939240
Bumping
I hear 5 minutes should be the max for training. But I can't find anything online on how many times you should train a parrot in a day and how long breaks should be between each training session.
>>
File: 9236244f.jpg (28 KB, 600x300)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
I just sent an email to a local bird breeder to let me see some of the birds and talk about getting one
>>
>>2939334
what kind of bird?
>>
File: Zz3z6MS.jpg (497 KB, 1993x1500)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
This is the booted racket-tail
Say something nice about it
>>
exuse me but wtf is this?
>>
File: rosie6.webm (2.96 MB, 640x360)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB WEBM
>>
>>2939344
A cockatiel
>>
>>2939453
How smart are galahs, and why aussies call not that smart people galahs?
>>
>>2939459
I dunno. Pretty average for cockatoos I think? There are definitely smarter kinds of parrots but they are super playful. Similar to little corellas (bare-eyed cockatoo).
>>
I've got two budgies that are pretty much hand tame but at this point but they won't go five feet from the cage, one doesn't seem to care all that much for millet and neither of them have responded all that well to clickers (the noise seems to spook them a little). Would getting their wings clipped help with this? I've avoided doing this so far but I haven't been able to train them much further since about last month.
>>
I bought a female canary for my male canary but he really doesn't want her. Everytime I put her cage near his, he gets stressed, anxious, and angry. He starts plucking his feathers and eating them and sometimes he tries attacking her through the cage. What am I doing wrong here?
>>
>>2939489
you raised an incel canary
>>
>>2939489
It's too late. The male doesn't want some thot, he wants your sexy hand.
>>
>>2939504
How do I bluepill him?
>>2939505
He doesn't even want me :(
>>
File: climbing.webm (2.91 MB, 352x640)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB WEBM
a fresh one
>>
>>2939489
Honestly, some weird shit is happening.
How old is he?
>>
>>2939537
>He doesn't even want me :(
Time to abandon that canary in some mine.
>>
>>2939548
I have no idea, it was given to my parents. Could it be because he isn't used to her? Thing is he's on guard if anyone goes near his cage. He's healthy though
>>
>>2939210
Yes, immensely. She's such a darling.
>>
First time breeder here.
I have a couple of budgies that about two weeks ago became parents, that's when I heard for the first time the small baby bird sounds from the nest and my question is: it's okay to take a look inside the nest to check on how the babies are or I should wait until they leave the nest on their own?
I'm curious but I also heard that doing that makes the parents angry and they throw the baby from the nest.
>>
>>2939481
What do you feed them? Seed mix? If they constantly have seed mix they don't need millet. Also taking food away from them at night so in the morning they are hungry is a good time to train.
>>
>>2939347
It has a nice fluff butt and fuck discordfags and fuck jannies.
>>
>>2939246
That is not old. You will need to maybe invest in some proper sources of information and learn. It can be done but you must know what you are doing. Random YouTube videos, opinions on 4chan, and cutesy bird lover websites won't cut It. Invest in information and learn.
>>2939261
>Anyway, why would you flush $1000
Kike spotted
>>
>>2939639
>it's okay to take a look inside the nest to check on how the babies
Yes, it is OK, but keep in mind that parents might go full retard protecting.
Also, it is a good idea to check, since sometimes there may be sterile eggs, which will get rotten at some point.
>>
>>2939696
>Kike spotted
I'm not kike, but I was surrounded by them entire life.
>Invest in information and learn.
This, but unironically is the best option.
But sometimes birds absolutely don't act, like it is described in handbook.
>>
File: DSC00199 small.jpg (2.06 MB, 2000x1500)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
I saw this guy today
>>
File: DSC00182 small.jpg (425 KB, 1500x1000)
425 KB
425 KB JPG
>>
>>2939538
>>2939702
>>2939706
cute birbs
>>
>>
>>2939764
Not cool man. How would you like it if someone recorded you yaking and posted it on 4chan?

t. heron internet defense force
They're neat birds
>>
File: output.webm (576 KB, 640x360)
576 KB
576 KB WEBM
>>2939764
Saved to my bird collection.
>>
File: 1548902286915.webm (1.95 MB, 960x540)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB WEBM
Majestic Bald Eagull
>>
>>2939696
>That is not old. You will need to maybe invest in some proper sources of information and learn. It can be done but you must know what you are doing. Random YouTube videos, opinions on 4chan, and cutesy bird lover websites won't cut It. Invest in information and learn.
Alright, what do I buy exactly? I notice one package on birth tricks is $100...
>>
>>2939784
Bird tricks are pretty good in my experience. The trainers are genuinely good bird owners/trainers. They just advertise in a retarded way that appeals to normies. The information they provide is good. Haven't seen anything wrong with them so far. They also have YouTube videos if you want to take a look at the people behind the company first. The only reason someone has disagreed with me is because they were commie scum and disagreed with the idea of selling information in condensed forms. Also join a parrot forum of some sort. Don't rely on this website.
>>
>>2939787
They have like 20 different packages, not sure which one to get.
>>
>>2939787
>Also join a parrot forum of some sort. Don't rely on this website.
No. Parrot forums are cancer. Don't even go there.
There are complete faggots, much worse than there, that presumably don't even have a bird and give advice, because of them I literally wasted one year without ANY improvements.

My advice it to use your own head and common sense™, it is your own bird after all.
Kikes do this, kikes have no problem making profit.
>>
>>2939797
And yeah, find person IRL, who deals with birds, it might help. Many avian vets know how to deal with birds properly, unironically.
>>
>>2939797
Yes, plain old common sense always works that's why everyone is an expert parrot trainer.
>>
>>2939801
>avian vets
>People who literally dedicated years formally training in the care of birds
>Actually know what they're doing
Ya don't say.
>>
>>2939766
They sure are neat. I feel honored to have captured this rare behavior.
>>
>>2939820
Problem is that some people lack common sense™.
>>2939823
Indeed they know what are they doing.
>>
>>2939801
>>2939823
I don't got money for a vet. There's always something they suggest doing which costs hundreds of dollars.
>>
>>2939831
Well, avian vets are quite rare, thus anything they do is fucking expensive.
Also, try visiting other vet.
>>
How do avian vets even deal with aggressive big parrots that have immense crushing power with their beaks? Do they have to put them to sleep?
>>
>>2939831
Birds are pets for moderately wealthy people. They're niche, and therefore expensive.
>>
>>2939837
They know how to hold a bird, so it can't use beak.
Especially naughty birds are being gassed slightly.
>>2939839
This. This is why $1000 price tag makes less bigger birds being abused, compared to budgies etc.
But this also allows some scammers to sell things you don't really need.
>>
>>2939842
>Especially naughty birds are being gassed slightly.
How do they gas a bird if it won't sit still and tries to bite while being gassed?
>>
>>2939844
>How do they gas a bird if it won't sit still and tries to bite while being gassed?
They make a bird wrap with towel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24P2vUeLMtU

But they try to avoid gas, since they can accidentally.
>>
>>2939848
That looks like a good way to make your parrot more aggressive and untrusting.
>>
>>2939855
It will be fine, don't worry.
Just give it a day off after being treated in such way
>>
>>2939309
>I hear 5 minutes should be the max for training. But I can't find anything online on how many times you should train a parrot in a day and how long breaks should be between each training session.
bumped
>>
>>2939858
>>2939855
And yeah, this is why you should sometimes ignore the parrot and don't be a pussy, otherwise it won't be clear who owns whom.
They will get used it, and won't behave as badly, as that cockatoo.
>>
>>2939861
Train as many times as you're comfortable. Train as long as you're comfortable.
I'd say 3-5 times a day for 5-15 minutes should work.
>>
>>2939861
Train as many times as you like or as many times as the bird seems comfortable with. Each bird has their own upper limit.
>>
>>2939848

can you use an airhorn to punish them for bad behaviour?
>>
File: tail.jpg (235 KB, 1199x894)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
Does anyone here know if these tail feathers are damaged to the point flying is difficult? This juvenile bird that lives nearby doesn't seem to be flying properly, hes been out of the nest for 6 to 8 weeks and still avoids flying, his parents keep misplacing him because they fly off expecting him to follow and he just stays on the ground.
>>
File: tail1.jpg (190 KB, 883x1040)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>2939912
>>
File: playing with blanket.webm (2.81 MB, 640x360)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB WEBM
>>
>>2939489
Anyone?
>>
>>2940064
Does she poop a lot on the ground while you're playing with her
>>
>>2938361
is there a peaceful way to make these fuckers go live somewhere else?
>>
File: rosie7.webm (2.95 MB, 640x360)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
>>2940098
Yes. But mostly on me.
>>
>>2940085
Don't force them to be together/breed. Simple.
>>
I want a pet pigeon bros, they’re so cute. Should I just try to get a retired show pigeon or something?
>>
>>2940099
Do they have nest in attic? Or just hang out?
>>
>>2939900
No, they like loud sounds.
Just find what pisses your bird off, and use this to punish. But it won't help much...
>>
>>2939912
They don't look bad enough to prevent flight. The tail is very useful for stability, but the wings do all the work at low speed and those primaries look clean. He should be able to get off the ground. There's probably something else wrong.

>>2940144
Good choice. Pet pigeons are very comfy. You can do whatever you want, although I'm not sure how many retired racers you'll find. They're not difficult to raise and train so don't be afraid of getting a young one.
>>
Are there any intelligent birds that can be kept as pets other than parrots?

I love all kinds of birds but those flashy coloured fucks like parrots annoy me to no end.

I like shit like robins, owls, crows and ravens.
>>
>>2940148
probably both things, on the roof, it's always full, don't have access there so can't really check
>>
>>2940162
just befriend some neighborhood crows
>>
>>2940168
i cant :(
>>
>>2940166
Check attic for nests.
Get yourself anti-pigeon spikes.
Also there are repellent gels, I don't know how this works tho.

If you don't have access to roof - you can't really do anything. Try attracting some hawks, idk
>>
>>2940162
>flashy coloured
How about African grey or cockatoo?
>>2940175
Why?
>>
>>2940186
because i live in a shitty busy city and have no garden
>>
>>2940175
why not? you just need food or shiny things
>>
>>2940240
This.
I had managed to befriend a crow in city shithole like Moscow.
>>
My dumb and clumsy ass dropped my canary cage while she was in it. The distance was pretty short and I found her clinging to the cage wall after the fall, she was sitting on her perch before the fall. Her perch fell from one side. I'm worried as fuck. She seemed fine and I looked at her and now I made her sleep since it's late for her but I'm still very worried. Anything I should look out for? How do I make sure that she's 100% fine? I just checked on her and she was sleeping but breathing fast-ish and I think that's how she always sleeps. Help a guilty anon..
>>
File: jumping.webm (2.64 MB, 640x360)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB WEBM
>>
>>2940281
Fix the cage next time.
>>
>>2940302
The cage is fine
>>
>>2940308
I meant secure it somehow with some sort of hook or strap
>>
>>2940263
I don't get why you would want to risk yourself to wild creatures that could have westnile, ticks, or whatever.
>>
>>2940368
Well, they won't get closer to you, than 50 cm.
>>
I need educational resources on how to tame, train, and take care of a green winged macaw. Any specific recommendations? I'm not looking to go to an avian vet for advice.
>>
I'm stuck on trying to get my parrot to step up from its cage. It will reach over my arm when I lure it for food, but when it's too far for him to reach from over my arm he just stands there. I even tried targetting him over my arm but he refuses to even put a foot on my arm.
>>
>>2940539
I don't understand why you don't want to force it to step up.
>>
>>2940541
Because he bites if i try to.
>>
>>2940542
That is to be expected. More times you do this, less painful he should bite.
>>
>>2940541
Forcing a parrot to do something is a low quality nigger thing to do and the parrot won't appreciate it. The parrot is going to live for s fucking long time and if you act like a nigger toward the bird long enough you will eventually reap the 'rewards' that you have sown. If you cannot control your bird without force you have failed.
>>
>>2940186
>recommending a cockatoo or African grey to a city dweller with no knowledge on pet birds
Why?
>>
>>2940368
Because crows and ravens are soooo coool and befriending them makes me cool too.
>>
>>2940550
Dunno, honestly.
>>
>>2940549
Works with my parrot™.
In the beginning he was biting and making raptor sounds, which meant that he definitely didn't like this, but I didn't give a fuck. After week of such forced step ups, he understood, that I won't fuck off, and the only way is to step up without being an asshole. Since then he steps up without any problems, absolutely reliably.
Other training went flawlessly tho.
>>
>>2940561
What kind of parrot?
>>
>>2940563
African grey.
>>
>>2940561
Yes, I'm sure that will work long term with your parrot and everyone else's parrot, and it is better than training the bird to do it properly without force. You should write a book of expert parrot training advice based on your limited experience with your pet.
>>
File: oio.webm (1.66 MB, 202x360)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB WEBM
>>2940575
>I'm sure that will work long term with your parrot
Well, it works for 5 years now. He is reliably stepping up on hands, not only on mine, but also on parents'.
>everyone else's parrot
I can't guarantee this, but looks like this might help macaw owner, since it seems to me, that he has pretty similar problem, parrot is tame enough, but won't do some things when needed.
>>
>>2940589
Btw, webm this was said in webm
>Where do you want to go?
>Home
>Wanna go home?
>Yes
>Turn around
>Good boy
>>
>>2940591
>Btw, webm this was said in webm
This was said in webm, fix.
>>
>>2940281
Anyone?
>>
>>2940672
It is difficult to say for sure, but if it looks fine, it is probably fine, and fast-ish breathing is a result of stress.
Really, secure cage somehow, since if you knocked it off once, you will do it more and more times.
>>
>>2940676
The case is actually secure, it just slipped from my fingers and fell. She has been breathing fast ever since I've got her and she often closes her eyes during the day as if she was resting. I actually got her only a few days ago. I haven't noticed any other odd signs aside from that. She eats well and drinks well. Perhaps I'm phrasing it incorrectly? I mean that her body(chest?) shakes fast. I could get it on vid if it helps
>>
>>2940719
Video would be useful.
Anyway, from which height it fell down?
>>
>>2940724
The height was low. From my fully extended hand to the carpet.

Here's the video on Streamable because I'm on mobile https://streamable.com/ra7nk
She sometimes chill like this and close her eyes
>>
File: 20190207_141311.jpg (1.97 MB, 4032x3024)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>2940724
>>2940736
>>
>>2940736
Well, that is weird, I've never seen my canaries doing that...
Sad.
>>
>>2940742
The breathing or closed eyes? Nonetheless as I said she seems to be healthy and eats a lot. For some reason my male canary doesn't want her near him though. Could be because she's still new idk
>>
>>2940747
That shaking look weird to me, but I'm not a vet.
How long is she shaking?
>>
>>2940750
All the time even when she sleeps. Think I've even noticed my male canary doing it at some point but to a milder degree
>>
File: rosie9.webm (2.95 MB, 560x360)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
when she tried to roll on her back
>>
>>2940368
you are not supposed to kiss them
>>
>>2940561
If you want a slave because you don't manage to make friends, that sure is the way to go.
>>
>>2940917
>Other training went flawlessly tho.
>slave
Dunno. In my case only step-ups were unreliable, and making them reliable is more important, that his willing.
>>
>>2940917
>Not wanting a slave
Are you even white?
>>
>>2940737
Blurry pic, but looks like a sick bird.

>>2940821
Simply adorable. Rosie makes me want to do that fake air-toss to her that you do with kids while going "Wheee! Wheee!"

>>2940838
>He doesn't smooch his wild corvid friends
What a sad life.
>>
File: 1519315817875.jpg (29 KB, 628x380)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>2940917
>I keep an intelligent creature in a cage for my own enjoyment.
>But he's totally my friend here of his own accord and not a slave at all.
oof
>>
>>2940970
>Blurry pic, but looks like a sick bird.
I'm starting to think so as well. Just heard it make clicking sounds in addition to the rapid breathing. Should I return it?
>>
>>2940991
If you're not particularly attached to it, that's an option. It could be something easily treatable but a vet would charge a significant amount even if the solution is just antibiotics.
>>
File: rosie2.webm (2.93 MB, 640x360)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>2940970
She starts acting all autistic when I hold her up high. Pretty funny.
>>
>>2941098
Mate, she starts acting all autistic for seemingly no reason at all.
>>
>>2941135
well yes, that's true
>>
>>2940977
Unironically, but this.
No matter how you try to be friend, bird is property, and its freedom is compromised. Even if you free fly it.
>>
>>2941173
When done right, only in the same way that a child doesn't have freedom. We're so much more intelligent than them, that when we're acting in their best interests they're far better off than going it alone in life. Pet ownership should be mutualistic. Use them to satisfy that deep urge we have to care for something, and let them flourish under your attention.
>>
>>2941194
Hm... Sometimes you have to force children to behave well too. Even with belt of sort.
>>
>>2941217
Spanking with your palm is enough if you give a good whack.
>>
>>2941252
My parents preferred time-tested belt technology.
>>
File: 1512885093376.jpg (63 KB, 960x839)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2938361
Can anyone identify what kind of birb this is?
>>
>>2941308
That's a chihuahua wearing a cockatiel costume.
>>
>>2941308
Cockahuahua
>>
>>2941308
Big head eagle
>>
>>2941311
Its clearly some large species of parakeet eating a chihuahua
>>
File: rosie3.webm (2.93 MB, 640x386)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
bump
>>
I love birds but I hate discordfags who find every opportunity possible to spread their shitty link around.
>>
File: 1340379276134.jpg (71 KB, 462x700)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>2941717
Discordfags are cancer under all circumstances. It's just advertising to take discussion away from here and I don't know why it isn't countersignaled harder. If somebody posted a /r/something link in every general OP saying "Come join us on reddit!" people would lose their minds.
>>
What are the signs that a canary is carrying eggs?
>>
>>2941717
>>2941785
My brother convinced me to install discord a couple of days ago so I could play a game with him and holy fuck is it a giant pile of cringe. It exudes reddit out of every crease.
Yeah, that cancer needs to fucking go.
>>
>>2941785
The bird thread , like all threads, never used to have discord links. Of course the discordfags sniff around for opportunities to advertise their little clique and so when a grassroots thread nears bump limit, they jump onto that shit and stick their stupid link in it. Sometimes it is organized too. Someone will post the thread, then their discord friends make some really crappy first few posts to bump it up. It would be exactly the same if it was subreddit links instead of discord links. Same shit.
>>2941882
The majority of /an/ discordfags who spread their shit around are extremely cringey weebs with anime girl avatars. They get extremely upset if someone makes a general thread without the discord advertisement too. Are they so keen on gathering as many people as possible in their clique so they can feel powerful and important or something? Make a name for themselves? 4chan is an anonymous culture and should remain anonymous.
>>
>>2941880
Eggs.
>>
>>2942122
Does anyone really use Discord? It is full of underages...
>>
>>2942132
It's unfortunately the replacement for Skype, so everyone I knew on there is now only on Discord and Facebook messenger. Clearly Discord is the lesser of two evils, so I use it. I'm in one server with my friends and that's fucking it. 99.9% of it is total garbage.
I want to go back to August ;_;
>>
>>2940549
Genuine curiosity: what are a couple of methods you would prescribe to get a macaw to step up without use of force?
>>
>>2942229
Get it out of its cage first and then try to lure it on your hand with food. They might feel better to step up on a stick or something at first.
>>
>>2942341
Shit advice. Luring with food is a bad tactic for training all around. Use a target. Do target training with a clicker. Research the finer details on your own. >>2942229 it would take a long time to type out all of the specific things you will need to do. Otherwise you can go nigger tier and do forcing or luring.
>>
Can birds detect illness in other birds?
>>
>>2942424
No, idk.
>>
>>2942346
I don't own a macaw (Moluccan Cockatoo owner), are they somewhat difficult to train for a parrot? Asking because you seem to know that it will take a lot of "specific details", yet personally I have had no training issue with my Cockatoo.
>>
File: oh fugg.webm (2.54 MB, 640x456)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB WEBM
Kinda running out of webms I think
>>
>>2942196
Make IRC great again.

I wouldn't hate on discord if it wasn't a huge cloud server shitfest and was actually a protocol that allowed you to host your own servers on your machine without discord police.
>>
>>2942424
Birds are good at hiding illness I hear, so no?
>>
>>2941880
Maybe weight, just a guess.
>>
>>2940479
Bumping this
>>
>>2942600
Matrix/Riot is okay, but nobody uses it.
>>
File: rosie17.webm (2.91 MB, 640x360)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB WEBM
>>2942538
Oh, found some more vids.
>>
Hello, I would like to know what kind of bird is this. I tried getting closer once I got outside but it flew away. I’m in the Metro Detroit area.
>>
>>2942729
Weird eagle woodpecker?
>>
Is it okay if let my sick canary be in the same room as my healthy one? Room is large and open and both have their own cages
>>
>>2942729
My guess would be Sharp-shinned hawk. It also looks to be a juvenile. But I'm not American so wouldn't be able to rule out Cooper's hawk
>>
>>2942493
There are good and bad ways to train a parrot. Professional trainers who work in zoos and train animals for performances know these specific details, the average person does not. No they are not any more difficult to train than a small parrot, they just bite harder if you fuck up. What have you trained your cockatoo to do?
>>
File: chair.webm (2.94 MB, 640x360)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
>>2943311
Not that guy but I recently started to try and train this girl by giving her seeds and using a clicker at the same time and I got her to go into her cage by herself by first luring her in with a seed. Now when I grab the clicker she's immediately alert and climbs into her cage. She seems to enjoy training this way quite a lot.
Are you telling me that's a wrong approach?
>>
>>2943324
Clicker training is great , rewarding and stimulating for the bird, and creates a stronger bond. There are usually more efficient ways to do things so training is faster and more specific, Especially for more advanced tricks or behaviours. For example. Luring with food alone is less efficient and effective than using a target and clicker to get a bird from one location to another, and then eventually signalling to thes bird to do what you want it to do without having to use a lure at all. Luring a parrot from one location to another only works to an extent, not as good long term. What you are doing is better than what most bird owners do and don't train at all
>>
File: chair2.webm (2.94 MB, 640x360)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
>>2943331
Cool, I'll look into target training then
>>
>>2943311
What are those specifics?
>>
>>2943331
Never lured or used target.
Trained anyway, flawlessly. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>2938427
Both my female lovebird, budgie don't like being touched and they bite alot. Their male pairs are fine being touched and played with. Plus both males like each other. Are female birds generally aggressive?
>>
>>2943412
From my experience, yeah, females are more aggressive. Not sure about bigger birds tho
>>
>>2938983
80 yrs might be too much for someone who lives alone like me knowing it will outlive me.
>>
>>2939417
A goiter or throat cancer from smoking all the years of solitude.
>>
>>2943045
Anyone?
>>
>>2943045
Not recommended.
>>
Guys, have you ever sold or gave your bird(s) to another person or replaced with a new one due to its unfriendly disposition or aggressiveness? Even after months or years of ownership?
>>
>>2943430
No, but I considered making soup out of them.
>>
>>2943414
Now I regret having females. I should've bought all male birds instead.
>>
>>2943437
All-male would cause gay things happening, which is not cool.
>>
>>2943440
First the frogs and now they're turning the birds gay?
What ever happened to the world?
>>
>>2943441
At least there are no trans-gender birds yet.
>>
>>2943448
Welcome to Piss Earth.
>>
4 lovebirds, 2 pairs in separate cages that havent had eggs yet. Birds didn't choose their partner but already have been living for a year with them in the same cage. If you swap the males, will the new partners be accepted or rejected?
>>
>>2943518
I'd guess that result is unpredictable. Try it
>>
File: rain.webm (2.92 MB, 720x404)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB WEBM
>>
>>2943599
How you don't afraid?
>>
>>2943606
Afraid of what?
>>
>>2943599
What a lovable retard.

You let her outside? Does she have her wings clipped?
>>
>>2943610
Yeah. But the clipped wings didn't mean shit at the time of that webm (it had been a while since they were clipped) cause a couple of days later I left her alone on her perch in the yard for a minute and she got spooked by a neighbor using a table saw or something and she flew away. Luckily only a single block and I could find her easily, but that could have been disastrous. Scared the shit out of me. I'm not worried about her flying away when I'm close since she's very attached to me, but I can't ever leave her alone outside, even in the backyard. And whenever I do take her outside now I make sure her wings are properly clipped.
I do think it's good for birds, at least the larger and more intelligent ones, to take them outside at least occasionally. She's always listening intently to the surroundings and trying to talk to other birds in the neighborhood so she clearly enjoys it.
>>
>>2943607
Afraid of her flying away or something.
I see that she is clipped, but anyway...
>>
How do I make a parrot wear a harness?
I don't want to count fingers after this operation...
>>
>>2943631
You have to slowly train them to be accustomed to the harness. When you buy a harness it usually comes with an instructional video. It won't take overnight, it takes time. My harness is the aviator harness and came with a video. Maybe look up 'how to harness train parrot'.
>>
>>2943411
Being a tranny. The only option to fix this is to kill yourself.
>>
>>2943729
Okay.
What harness should I get?
>>
>>2943733
But I'm not a tranny...
>>
>>2943733
What made you think Rosie's owner is a tranny? You're either really dialed into some video context I'm not, or retarded.

>>2943612
That is fucking horrifying dude. I'd have a hard time letting her out anymore. I almost lost a dog to an open door and a visiting nephew (toddler) he didn't care for. Found him like a mile away across a major highway.
>>
>>2943388
Muh sekrit club. Bird trainers are obnoxious like that. Raptor people are especially huge dickheads, but parrot trainers are right behind them.
>>
>>2943926
No, really, what is the "secret" sauce they give in their books and tutorials.
>Raptor people are especially huge dickheads
Bird people are OK in general.
>but parrot trainers are right behind them.
Trainers are dickheads in any case
>>
>>2943440
>>2943441
>>2943448
>>2943453
Would want to see an interspecie 4 way male bird orgy desu.
>>
>>2943943
Raptorfags are extremely cliquey. You have to conform to their culture or they'll treat you like shit. I've met several of these jerks who flat out said you're not a real raptor hunter if you care about your bird beyond them being a tool. Ow the edge.
>>
>>2944002
>I've met several of these jerks who flat out said you're not a real raptor hunter if you care about your bird beyond them being a tool
I can't understand how you'd get into this hobby to begin with if you don't like birds wtf.
>>
>>2944002
>you're not a real raptor hunter
What do people usually do with falcons and hawks?
AFAIK, they are used in some airports, to prevent bird strikes, but what else
>if you care about your bird beyond them being a tool.
Well, those eagle hawks might be useful.
But parrots are pretty useless, so you can't treat them as tool... They only serve as entertainment, and a lot of people get extremely angry, when I start speaking about price etc.
>>
>>2944016
btw, under "raptor" I meant any bird.
>>
>>2944006
Few of the raptor hunters I've met give a shit about birds. They just like hunting and a raptor is like a rifle to them. A really cool rifle that few people have or can get. A rifle that they can use to feel like they're better than everyone else.

>>2944016
>What do they do
Kill stuff, usually for fun. I'm sure there are good true raptor fans out there who just want to raise and take care of their birds and do fun/cool shit with them. I've just never met one of these people, but I do hear about them.
>Parrots are useless
I agree. Most people (99.999% of them) should never own a parrot. They're generally terrible pets. You should only get one if you're obsessed specifically with them and will absolutely do everything to care for them properly (which is why I'll never own another one of them, I just can't dedicate the time). Then what's the use? Keeping you happy while you keep them happy.
>>
>>2944026
>They're generally terrible pets.
That is debatable. I'd say they aren't as messy, as some popular pets like c*ts.
>You should only get one if you're obsessed specifically with them
Most people get them exactly due to this reason.
>Then what's the use? Keeping you happy while you keep them happy.
Pretty much. Entertainment and keeping them more-less happy.
>Kill stuff, usually for fun.
>They just like hunting and a raptor is like a rifle to them. A really cool rifle that few people have or can get. A rifle that they can use to feel like they're better than everyone else.
How does this work? How do you train them?
>>
>>2944039
>That is debatable
Oh no, they aren't terrible pets for being bad on the human. They're terrible pets for humans being bad on them. The vast majority of parrots live in abusive conditions. Usually it's just ignorant neglect.
>Most people
Perhaps in present company. Most people are normies who get them because they're colorful. Normies aren't terribly bright.
A good fraction of the present company is excluded from my 99.999% figure by virtue of fitting into the 0.001%. If you're posting in the bird thread on the animal board of 4chan, well then you just might be dedicated enough to ethically keep a parrot.
>How does this work?
Well you practice shooting to get good with a rifle. Raptor trainers use classic conditioning to get a bird to take prey without eating the carcass, and to get them to return when called. That's most of what you need, and it's all the average trainer gives a fuck about. Bird can wear a hood for the rest of the day for all they care.
>>
>>2944045
>Most people are normies who get them because they're colorful. Normies aren't terribly bright.
Fuck, I forgot about normalfags and cheaper poor parrots (like budgies) they usually get and keep in horrible conditions, and after it dies they wonder why it lived only 12 month. Also fuck pet stores that sell siblings as pair.
>Raptor trainers use classic conditioning to get a bird to take prey without eating the carcass, and to get them to return when called. That's most of what you need, and it's all the average trainer gives a fuck about.
Okay. I'm curious, is it possible to train parrots do such things? In theory they have enough smarts to perform much more complex tricks...
How do they train them not to eat?
>>
>>2944054
Classic conditioning. Raptors generally aren't bright enough to do particularly complex things, but they can be more focused than lots of parrots, and less fearful. You just use food as a reward. First you teach step up, then come to my glove, then you use a lure (like a stuffed animal) to trigger their attack instinct, and when they take the lure down you signal them to come back to the glove. If they don't, they get nothing because it's just a stuffed animal and they'll eventually figure out it's worthless. If they come to the glove, you reward them. Repeat until they associate seeing prey and taking it down with getting nothing from the stuffed animal and getting food from you. In the field they won't even try to open the carcass because they've been manipulated into thinking it doesn't have value unless they go back to you for the reward.
>>
>>2943926
It's because it is not our duty to type out an entire manual for anonymous people on 4chan. Invest in training manuals if you really want information.
>>
File: 1540594782712s.jpg (2 KB, 107x125)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
Imagine tying 14 helium balloons around a parrot binding its wings and then just letting it go outside. Boy howdy.
>>
My canary was biting his nails earlier seemingly trying to pull it off, is that normal? His nails are long and I can't really cut it for him.
>>
>>2944138
What exactly is there?
How I'd know that this book worth something and contain needful information...
>>
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1550331132112.webm
>Rosie turned into a squeeky toy
>>
Still having troubles getting my macaw to step onto my hand from its cage. Been like 5 days now of trying to lure him onto my arm. I have to force him to come onto my arm. Usually by removing the top of the cage when he's sitting on the top. He also screams plenty when he's on his play stand even though there's a toy or 2.

Is it a bad habit for my macaw to sit on my lap as I use browse online?

Also, every time I return him to the cage he's extremely eager to return to it. I just stood in front of it as I was petting his head and he kept walking on the tips of my fingers in trying to read the cage. When I tried feeding him infront of the cage he just stepped on the food bowl to get closer to it.

My parrot is extremely cage bound and attached to his cage. Is this because the cage door is left open and he walks around?
>>
>>2944217
Like this?
>>
>>2944711
>I have to force him to come onto my arm. Usually by removing the top of the cage when he's sitting on the top.
>Also, every time I return him to the cage he's extremely eager to return to it.
That sounds pretty familiar to situation I had with my grey in beginning.
When he was in cage, it was impossible to take him, since he would bite badly. When he was hanging on top of cage, it was relatively easy to force him on hand, and he didn't resist much. Honestly, I don't know what exactly fixed this, but I did absolutely nothing about it.
>Is it a bad habit for my macaw to sit on my lap as I use browse online?
I don't think so.
Well, I'm out of any good ideas. How long do you have him?
>Is this because the cage door is left open and he walks around?
I don't know, but I had my cage open too.
Try closing it.
Also, try taking him out of cage and putting him into cage multiple times, like 4-5 times a day, or maybe even more, because I was doing this quite often.
>>
>>2944711
>put bird that is supposed to be extremely social and active in the wild into a confined space with a human
>has behavioural issues and makes a difficult pet
What a surprise. I hope you are prepared for over sixty years of commitment.

https://youtu.be/xA6QjVRBMh4
>>
To say that I love parrots—and birds in general—would be a gross understatement. I’ve lived with birds for the majority of my life, and they’ve brought a quality to my life that I think only a close relationship with one of the most intelligent animal species is capable of providing. The depth and intensity of the bond that forms between a parrot and its keeper is unrivaled by any other pet.

I’m the person everyone calls when they’re considering getting their first bird. Unfortunately, I’m also the person everyone calls when they can no longer tolerate or care for their parrot. My own doctor even unloaded a macaw on me during an office visit—and he still charged me for the visit.I’ve been asked at least a thousand times, “I want a talking parrot—which one should I get?” My answer is short, unexpected, and always the same: none.

It’s hard not to come off sounding like a snob who’s part of some exclusive club that others aren’t qualified or welcome to join. But the fact is most people aren’t informed enough to make this life-altering decision. They don’t know what they’re committing themselves, their family, and most importantly, the bird to.

I tell them that parrots are intelligent, affectionate, sensitive, and complex animals that can make rewarding companions. They aren’t fashion accessories, home decor, or animatronic talking novelties. If you want a splash of color for your home, buy a nice painting of a parrot. If you want to impress your friends, put in a heated pool.

http://viemagazine.com/article/ten-reasons-you-shouldnt-get-a-parrot/
>>
Captive parrots are still "wild" animals.

"In a cage, or soaring above the canopy, parrots are still considered wild," croons the documentary's narrator. Only a few generations removed (or less) from the freedom of their natural rainforest habitats, unlike dogs and cats, they haven't been domesticated (a process that takes hundreds of years).
For this reason, no matter how excited they were to purchase a parrot in the beginning, many people are unable to endure the constant squawking without gun range-quality ear protection (like one owner), and are finding it impossible to keep them in their homes for more than a few years, tops. Says Jamie, who used to breed parrots, but now devotes her efforts entirely to re-homing abandoned birds, "Many people come in and say, 'I want a bird that talks, is quiet, and doesn't bite.' And I say to them, 'I'm sorry, but that species has not been discovered yet.'"

Considering that parrots in the wild can fly up to 50 miles in a day, keeping them alive yet cooped up in a tiny cage can also seem akin to torture. Couple their evolution for flight with their intelligence, and bored, otherwise healthy birds can often start physically suffering from a clipped-wing, sedentary life in captivity... ultimately succumbing to a chain reaction of health issues starting with increased stress and leading to feather plucking and even heart disease.
Marc Johnson, who runs Foster Parrots (a sanctuary situated on an old chicken farm in Rhode Island that gets over 1,000-plus calls a year from owners seeking to surrender their birds) says poignantly regarding the "right" size cage for a Macaw: "There is no 'right' size. 35 square miles is the size. It's the sky." Jane Goodall, who has endorsed Foster Parrots, has stated, "For me, the sight of a parrot living alone, living in a cage, deprived of flight, miserably bored, breaks my heart. And the parrot's too, perhaps."
https://www.thedodo.com/parrots-are-not-pets-8-things--657190776.html
>>
>>2944794
Instead of talking shit about owner and saying how difficult it is to own a bigger parrot, you better give an advice or something, if you're so smart.
Macaws don't cost $10 and aren't sold every pet store. People, who get bigger bird (usually) know what they're doing.
>>
>>2944805
>People, who get bigger bird (usually) know what they're doing.
no, they don't. They aren't that expensive. A couple thousand is nothing. People spend that much on computer parts, car stuff, fashion, purebred dogs, and other bullshit all the time. You can lie to yourself all you want though, that is none of my business.
>>
>>2944729
>How long do you have him?
I had him since I was 5 or so, so a little less than 20 years. We got him from a couple that couldn't keep him in an apartment. Parents didn't know how to properly train or raise the parrot. I used to play with him when I was extremely young but he got super cage bound and aggressive, and he almost broke my thumb around that time when I was trying to pet his head. My dad does dumb things like feeding an apple, cracker, or whatever every time it screams. Over the past years I got him to finally leave his cage, though sometimes I stopped entirely taking him out when he gives me a serious very hard bite from trying to get him out. I'm the only one that's taking up learning how to properly train him. I'm the only one in the family that actually gets him out of the cage and plays with him.
>>
>>2944808
>>2944805
Oh look , a couple living in an apartment purchased a 'super expensive' bird and therefore knew exactly what they were doing answered, oops then gave the bird away. Surely this is a very rare case though and MOST people who buy parrots know what they are doing lmao kek desu.
>>
File: 1449640343026.jpg (105 KB, 915x915)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>2944817
got 'em anon
>>
>>2944808
Well, that is pretty similar to situation I had, surprisingly. Except I got my grey when I was 15 or so, and bird was like 6 month old from ""breeder"".
First 1-2 years parents tried to train bird following internet methods, which basically boil down to "don't force and scare"... Didn't work at all.
Then I convinced to try my own method, which boiled "i give zero fucks about your fears and willing, and you will do the needful". Worked out.
This also explains why your parrot is cager.
>My dad does dumb things like feeding an apple, cracker, or whatever every time it screams.
Wow, that is unironically dumb. Now it will scream for food.
>Over the past years I got him to finally leave his cage, though sometimes I stopped entirely taking him out when he gives me a serious very hard bite from trying to get him out.
This might sound dumb, but lure him out of cage by something he doesn't like or afraid of.
Considering that macaws bite badly, it is a good idea to use glove of sort.
Also you might try just to move a cage to other place, temporarily, so it confuses the bird, and close it, while he's out, so he get absolutely confused.

Anyway, I never dealt with 20 yo parrots.

>I'm the only one that's taking up learning how to properly train him. I'm the only one in the family that actually gets him out of the cage and plays with him.
I'm lucky with that, since mom got the idea, while dad is absolute retard, that is afraid of tiny little bird, and when he was left just for 2 month without me and mom, bird became "wild".
Too bad I moved to other country, and transporting parrot is difficult and time consuming... I miss him.
>>
>>2944817
>>2944807
Dude, I'm from second world shithole with avg. wage of $8000/yr...
>>
>>2944805
>you better give an advice or something, if you're so smart.
I second this.
>>
I want to get a macaw. Never had a bird before.
Tell me why I shouldn't get one, considering I know someone, who can't take care of it, and will give it away for free.
>>
>>2944878
See video in >>2944794
>>
Sensible seed is an oxymoron. All seed is silly and senile.
>>
>>2944878
They scream really loudly to the point of hurting your ears. They can close their ears and their ears repair from ear damage, not like human ears. They can bite really hard and probably break your finger. Their pee and poo makes a huge mess, a nasty huge mess and your cage will be covered in shit. Birds are really fucking hard to discipline and train, same level as training an elephant.
>>
>>2944878
You will be it's slave for your entire lifetime . If you get it, you are likely to just give it away to someone else after you realise you can't handle it.
>>
>>2944883
>They scream really loudly to the point of hurting your ears
How loud do they scream? What thing can I use as a reference?
>They can bite really hard and probably break your finger.
That is to be expected, considering size of a beak.
>Their pee and poo makes a huge mess, a nasty huge mess and your cage will be covered in shit.
Couple bird-owner friends I know don't have such mess in their house, compared to c*tfags. But yeah, I expected it to be a loud vice-grips that shit everywhere.
>Birds are really fucking hard to discipline and train, same level as training an elephant
Maybe, this is partially a reason why I'm thinking about getting one.
>>
>>2944898
>You will be it's slave for your entire lifetime
I'd like other way, but OK.
>If you get it, you are likely to just give it away to someone else after you realise you can't handle it.
It would be bad, considering that I'm planning to get the bird, from someone that couldn't handle it.
>>
>>2944906
It's normal for parrots to be handed from owner to owner until it reaches a shelter and then it gets adopted and handed from owner to owner again. Or they just get shoved in a giant aviary where no one needs to deal with the bird directly most of the time. It's pretty sad.
>>
>>2944903
>How loud do they scream? What thing can I use as a reference?
Louder than a person can scream where it will hurt your ears if you're in the same room.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHTc603tUhQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsnfpGsVLP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24P2vUeLMtU
>>
>>2944910
This is the reason I want to adopt one.
>>2944911
What household (or not that household) item makes similar noise in terms of loudness?
It is difficult to judge about loudness from video, since autogain.
>>
>>2944914
>What household (or not that household) item makes similar noise in terms of loudness?
Nothing, they're louder than car horns imo.
>>
>>2944914
Macaws rank as the loudest parrot.
https://www.thesprucepets.com/top-loudest-parrot-species-390531
>>
>>2944915
That is some serious business.
Finally I can revenge on neighbors, that lawn at 5 AM, and whose dog bark entire night.
>>2944916
I will be sure to get a pack of ear muffs, if I will decide to adopt it. Because having thing that is louder than car horn on shoulder is scary without ear protection.
>>
>>2944919
My neighbour 5 houses down mistaken my macaw for a women screaming. I get complaints from VOIP if my parent is screaming from the other side of the house with the door closed and them hearing it. On phone calls people think you have a mentally ill or autistic person in your house.
>>
>>2944922
>My neighbour 5 houses down mistaken my macaw for a women screaming
Absolutely adorable. Exactly what I need.
>on phone calls people think you have a mentally ill or autistic person in your house.
They would be correct tho...
>>
>>2944925
Dude, think twice.
>>
>>2944943
I will
>>
>>2944882
Yes but that is a cute cockatiel on the label!
>>
File: bin juice.jpg (53 KB, 700x467)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>
>>2944961
Yes it is, I also like the cockatiel images on vitapet and watson&william. Pic related.
>>
>>2944961
>>
I'm doing my part
>>
>>2944969
that man is ready for some fine dining
>>
>>2944714
Yessss
>>
File: throwing.webm (2.96 MB, 480x270)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB WEBM
>>2944340
>>
Birds are not important.
>>
>>2944973
Is this oc?havent seen this punch before.
>>
Lads I may have discovered that the location of my bird's cage has a bit of draft in it, should I be worried? I moved the cage at once despite not being 100% sure that there's draft.
>>
>>2945102
You aren't important.
>>
New thread has been made, search /bird/ to find it or just look for a picture/gif of a yawning cockatiel.
>>
>>2939347
how can i support this thing
>>
why isn't there a crow general for how to teach crows to do cool shit for you and your community.
>>
File: 4a11bb4e.jpg (192 KB, 1024x1024)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
I'm building a cage for my cockatiel. It's really hard to find the right material, because almost every one has ZINC.
"Galvanized metal" what does it mean? Is it zinced?
>>
>>2945841
i THINK it should always be stainless
>>
>tfw my bird starts dancing every time he sees me
feels good man. he's a bit unusual since he usually only likes women but he likes me, too.
>>
>>2945841
>>2945904
I don't really think it matters? How'd you come to know that you need stainless steel for a cage? also galvanisation does mean to coat with zinc so yeah they're zinced. Just get him a big cage with toys and make sure he's more out playing with you than in his cage, then he won't be tempted at all to start nibbling on the cage, I'm not even sure if stainless steel bars would be worse for their feet than galvanised bars, they're not made to climb iron at all anyhow...

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.