[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
>>
>doesn't run away
>doesn't bite
>only defense is making itself look like a retard for our amusement
I feel sorry for possums.
>>
Why the fuck is there a silent O in front of its name
>>
scrundle
>>
>>2914788
>kills your chickens
nothing personal kid..
>>
>>2914788
Can't carry rabies either.
>>2915132
Never had a problem with possums killing chickens. Had one try to steal an egg once and it froze up when the rooster attacked it.
>>
>>2914788
Why do they open their mouth like they're giving a bite warning? Used to have a mom and a few babies in the garage and wasn't sure if I could just grab the babies like kittens.
>>
>>2915170
never grab an animals babies unless its a family pet.

even chickens will fuck your ass up
>>
Perfect pet material
>>
File: possum-opossum-fur.jpg (202 KB, 1200x580)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>2914715
Posslads are the pleb filter of the vertebrate kingdom.
Anyone who dislikes them is damned to eternal plebeian damnation.
>>
File: 5e2e90a6e8b64cc6.png (784 KB, 1185x734)
784 KB
784 KB PNG
>>2914715
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
-ttention, everyone. I have an announcement to make.
>>
They're basically reptiles going "hello fellow mammals"
>>
File: 1523262931844.webm (1.86 MB, 360x640)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB WEBM
cute!
CUTE!
>>
>>2915952
I always say these niggas are adorable until they open their mouths.
>>
>>2914715
Anyone know any good breeders?
>>
>>2915955
https://youtu.be/RnhTO30VY-M
>>
>>2914715
Thumbnail looks like great white
Also, you just realized opposums have same body lay out as a great white. Black eyes, massive mouth, sharp teeth, and grey/ white coloring
>>
>>2914788
>>2915166
>>2915170
Opossums are shit fighters and I imagine they're bite can be nasty, I never got bit and I'm a hick who just grabs them whenever.

>>2916184
I've seen an albino and a cinnamon mutation in my life traps. Some are also very black. It's cool how many different colors they come in. I don't hurt them, just move them from my property somewhere else away from people.
>>
>>2916185
Good on you anon, you're a nice lad.
Also why don't they bite? It's not like they don't have teeth.
>>
>>2916185
Yeah they get in my place all the time but I'm ok with them. I just grab and toss them out. They eat the snails and slugs that try to infest my garden.
>>
File: cute-possums-30__700.jpg (48 KB, 700x285)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2916194
Not that anon but they are very docile. I'm sure if you push them hard enough they may bite but they will try other things first. Not only will they act dead they will purposely shit on themselves to smell dead too. I have no problem with the dummies.
>>
>>2916194
Don't know. I'm sure they can cause some nasty wounds. But they're better bluffers than fighters. They only live like, what, 2-3 years even in captivity? They're doing something right.

I wouldn't just grab a raccoon, fox, coyote, etc but opossums just give up. They seem to accept pretty fast you're not a threat too.
>>
File: LM5VhwR.png (99 KB, 875x604)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>>
>>2916220
>driving with ex at 2am
>road is weirdly busy
>see a weird white thing dragging itself in the road suddenly between cars
>JUST KEEP DRIVING
>jump out like an idiot
>throw off shirt and throw it over thing trying to gently pick it up
>jump back into moving car
>Ex freaking out because I'm retarded
>Unveil I have an opossum
>didn't know what I grabbed until then only that I knew something got hit by a car
>she isn't playing dead
>immediately go home and set up a crate somewhere warm and dark
>call emergency vets asking if they would see a possum cause all rehabs are closed
>one agrees but opossum has gone still
>even use a stethoscope we had around cuz brother used to be an EMT
>she dead
>call vet back that even if she were alive, maybe we should just leave her be because she was in terrible condition, vet agrees if it's that bad don't move her
>still leave her just in case she is faking
>cop rolls around
>grills me about grabbing wild animals and that it was just a possum, that we should have left it cause rabies
>still leave her
>still never moved

Macerated her and her lower spine and legs were so fucked up, they were no longer connected. Like her femurs were split into so many pieces. Everything in her lower half was broken practically into shards.

RIP girl. I always check deads for babies.
>>
>>2915952
reminds of freeload toads on snakes
>>
>>2916220
>he didnt check injuries before taking a decision
What a fucking retard
>>
What would they even be like as pets?
>>
>>2916234
>that we should have left it cause rabies
the rabies virus cannot survive in or be transmitted from opossums because their body temps are too low. that cop was a retard.
>>
Where does shit about them not biting come from.
I had an animal drawing class where a woman brought in a live possum and it absolutely gnawed the shit out of her finger when she started getting too handsy.
>>
>>2916967
growing up from about 7 until i left the house, i would go out and pull the out of the trash and put them back in the woods by our house. there were a few times we were trying to trap foxes because they were killing our chickens, we ended up getting some opossums in the trap. i could just reach in and grab them and carry them to the woods like you would a pet cat. i never got bit, they would hiss a bit then usually settle down really fast.
>>
>>2916983
Sounds comfy desu
>>
>>2916983
It's like they just give up. They're really pitiful but that makes them even more endearing.
>>
File: 1527704499196.png (1.25 MB, 1260x840)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>2915251
>>
>>2915295
IT WAS ALL A DREAM, I USED TO EAT GARBAGE AND OLD MAGAZINES.
LEFT OVER FRIES, USED CONDOMS AND MR CLEAN.
>>
>>
>>2917781
This creature is metaphysically me.
>>
>>2916220

They are very difficult to kill.
>>
>>2916967
The Australian Possum is vicious and can give you flesh eating ulcers. I have never seen an American Possum bite.
>>
>>2916967
Lots of videos of pest removal and regular dudes hoisting the things up by their tails and sticking their (gloved) hands in their mouths to prove that they are pacifists. From what I've seen, that is one video of an opossum biting someone, only captive males who were probably caught by the time they were already mostly through the subadult phase bite.
>>
>>2916967
Animals are individuals. It was probably having a bad day and got sick of her shit
>>
>>2917870
He bought into BTC at $19,000
>>
>>2915233
>even chickens
I get what you mean, but chickens are a bad example there. Fuckers are tiny monsters.
>>
>>2917781
Me on the left
>>
>>2915952
cute mom
>>
>>2914715
Why do they always look like that?
>>
>>2915132
You're a retard if you have that happen. Don't leave your chickens out at night and you're fine.
>>
>>2919793
he's very stressed and needs a break
>>
>>2916964
>til cops are trained in veterinary medicine
Imagine being this triggered that a cop doesn’t know a factoid you do. I think you’re the retard here.
>>
>>2917781
this is raccoon friend
>>
>>2916220
>Christopher bale
>>
>>2916234
M-macerated her?
>>
File: Charlie-1.jpg (88 KB, 850x624)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>
>>2915251
Try walking past a dead one for weeks at a time, I walk to work because it's only a block away and there's almost always a dead possum during summer greeting me with the stench of decaying meat. There was one possum who died in 2014 whose little mummified hand disappeared a few months ago. Glad I don't have to look at that thing anymore.
>>
>>2916262
Post pic
>>
>>2922864
Sounds like your transportation department isn't doing it's job with roadkill.
>>
>>2922864
There was a small recycling bin filled with dirty rain water outside my old apartment front porch that one of these Einsteins managed to drown itself in. Fuck if I'd be the one to dump that soggy corpse out.
>>
>>2915952
the mothership
>>
This thread reminded me that I found a possum in my garage, but she and all of her babies were dead except for one. I called animal preservation and someone came and got them. I hope that little buddy's okay.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.