[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 109 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Before asking questions in this thread, do a bit of searching online to see if it has been answered already.
Make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Links:

Tank Cycling:
>http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
>https://modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Articles and Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
>https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
>http://www.scotcat.com/
>https://www.loaches.com/species-index
>http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
>https://aquaticarts.com/
>https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/
>https://www.aquariumplants.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Check on ebay or aquabid.

Official Discrod: https://discord.gg/t57bWTh

Old thread:>>2907971
>>
File: new betta.jpg (687 KB, 2016x1512)
687 KB
687 KB JPG
>>2913424
What do you guys think of my new fish? Shout out to walmart for helping me pick her out!
>>
>>2913746
>no filter/heater
>lid on a betta so he will run out of surface air too
way to kill the point, and the fish
>walmart
lmao
at least is not a bowl
>>
File: IMG_20190108_161316.jpg (2.3 MB, 3648x2736)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
Hi guys, one of my guppies isn't doing too well. Kind of lethargic and no appetite. She appears to have some white fuzzy shit on the bottom of her mouth. Kind of looks like a little fish beard. I'm guessing it's mouth fungus. Can't get a good picture worth a damn. I got some meds coming tomorrow to try and treat her and I'm hoping to get a hospital tank set up for her tomorrow so I can dose her separately. Hopefully she'll survive the night til it all arrives. Us there anything I can do immediately to help?

Pic related, it's her yesterday when she was absolutely fine and showing off for the camera.
>>
File: 20190109_131139.jpg (1.03 MB, 2576x1932)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
One of my dudes likes to have a canopy so I went for an inverted look
>>
File: 1476020438613.jpg (324 KB, 1600x777)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
How to stop amano shrimp straight up walking out of my tank? A lid doesn't stop them because there's gaps in it they can get through.
>>
Why does everyone except for me get parasites in their tanks?
I've had this one for 3 years - some of the plants kept dying in the beginning but once it got established and I put in some fish everything stabilised.

In the post below I'll show my dad's tank.
>>
>>2913971
My dad's salt water tank. He has a fresh water one too but it's ugly.
>>
>>2913974
120 gallon / 450 Liters
>>2913971
60 gallon / 222 Liters
>>
>>2913956
The link is to a bbc discord. OP was just taking the piss out of the faggots this time.
>>
File: IMG_20190109_183410.jpg (619 KB, 4640x2610)
619 KB
619 KB JPG
Found a new kind of snail, it's growing fast. I'm thinking ramshorn?
>>
>>2913910
Well she died so rip fishy I guess.
>>
>>2913960
Let them move on
>>
What do you all think about no filter tanks?I do think that it is fun to try to create a natural balance into an aquarium
>>
Can a puffer eat clams?
>>
>>2914135
I have fed this guy clams before. He is so charming. I bet if you got the right size, most puffers could eat clams.
>>
File: shrimp eggs.jpg (565 KB, 4032x3024)
565 KB
565 KB JPG
Green with no eyes means she's not fertilized, right? She's been carrying them for two weeks.
>>
File: 1547083105575126400015.jpg (1.81 MB, 3264x1836)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
> cold water native tank hasn't had any maintenance for almost a month
> feeding my fish lots of fun foods like fathead minnows, wax worms, scuds, etc
> bottom of tank getting littered with bone filled poops
> some hair algae, not enough to choke the plants
> plants exploding, except for the water lily (damn it), but even that has some growth
> filter's loading up and flowing poorly
> maybe I should check params...
0 ammonia
0 Nitrite
less than 5PPM Nitrate

My tap water has 5 PPM nitrate, lol, I maybe need to feed heavier.

Too bad my Orange Spots eat snails, I need a tadpole madtom or something to be my cleanup crew.

I'm just gonna clean the filter and top off water, no point in doing a change...
>>
File: socute.jpg (542 KB, 2016x1512)
542 KB
542 KB JPG
>>2913791
>>no filter/heater
The associate said I didn't need one for a betta.
>>lid on a betta so he will run out of surface air too
The box said it's specially for bettas, and she also said that Bettas will jump.
>way to kill the point, and the fish
She said she has three bettas in the same tanknand that they're all doing great.
>>walmart
>lmao
I was surprised to find fish. I was just there for apple cider vinegar, and found the section while wandering around.
>>
>>2914111
Treat the tank anyways. Fungus spores can still travel to new hosts.
>>
File: 20190109_174708-1319x1319.jpg (440 KB, 1319x1319)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
>>2913971
Depends on where people get the fish from, and how/if they quarantined them. Also how well they cleaned plants.

I got corys that came with flukes from one shop. And while cleaning vals grass from the same shop found camallanus worms on the roots.

Once you throw in people going to petcos and petsmarts the issue gets worse. I think an anon in here even mentioned not being allowed to treat anything but ich at a petco they worked at.
>>
>>2914097
Yep. They're cute, and love algae. If you're overfeeding their populations will explode.
>>
>>2914135
Depends on the puffer, but generally yes. Like
>>2914178 said, this mbu eats clams daily, and the crunch it makes shearing through the shells is amazing.
>>
>>2914278
>The associate said I didn't need one for a betta.
because she's a retard
>The box said it's specially for bettas, and she also said that Bettas will jump
there are no "speciall for x" tanks, thats pure marketing
bettas do jump, but it's very rare, in the 20 something I had none of them did, they either breath from the water or the surface, if you're going to put a lid you need an airstone
>She said she has three bettas in the same tankn and that they're all doing great.
and you believe a salesperson, specially from walmart because?
also please tell me you either used bottle bacteria colonies or naturaly cycled that tank
>>
>>2914278
Learn to do your research rather than relying purely on the sales associates word you fucking moron. At the end of the day her job is to clinch a sale, not make sure you've got your shit together. Just because some pet sale associates will generally try their hardest to actually help doesn't mean you've should assume all of them will.
>>
>>2914308
>>The associate said I didn't need one for a betta.
>because she's a retard
Why would Walmart hire her if she didn't know about fish?
>>The box said it's specially for bettas, and she also said that Bettas will jump
>there are no "speciall for x" tanks, thats pure marketing
>bettas do jump, but it's very rare, in the 20 something I had none of them did, they either breath from the water or the surface, if you're going to put a lid you need an airstone
There's slots in the top of the lid for air.
>>She said she has three bettas in the same tankn and that they're all doing great.
>and you believe a salesperson, specially from walmart because?
She was the fish associate, and seemed to know a lot about bettas.
>also please tell me you either used bottle bacteria colonies or naturaly cycled that tank
Cycling?
>>
>>2914261
Pay attention to pH too, but you're probably right.
>>
>>2914338
My PH is high as fuck (8), but steady, and the fish were collected at 7.5 and are thriving, so it's fine.

This Walstad Method is a good meme.
>>
>>2914312
>Cycling?
you know what, fuck it, be happy with your betta, hopefully after it dies you start to hate the idea of keeping fish and don't buy any more
>>
>>2914350
>he fell for the most obvious bait
>>
>>2914392
>implying it's bait
>>
File: full tank shot.jpg (1012 KB, 2560x1920)
1012 KB
1012 KB JPG
>>2913974
I am not a big fan of lps/softies but his tank shows that he is doing things right!

pics of my 40 breeder. This is what it looked like last month. Most of these corals I have had for 3 years or more. In the last 2 weeks things looked off. The skin started receding on my poccilipora (most of the hard corals). Come to find out this week that the magnets holding the frag rack in place have gotten wet, and are rusting. I have had this tank long enough that I don't care, and will be doing a large water change this weekend and going heavy on carbon. All of my softies and anemones look fine, and even some of the hard corals seem unaffected. If everything died tomorrow, Id not be at all shocked or upset.
>>
>>2914121
I can't let them go!
>>
how do i increase the growth rate of water lettuce?
i have a bundle in my 10 gallon and all my other plants in there grow pretty fast, but my water lettuce isnt growing that much
how can i help it expand?
>>
>>2913746
>>2914278
That tank could use some snails and like two guppies.
>>
>>2914509
>guppies with a betta
>>
>>2914458
Not him but that's spectacular. Very nice tank, congrats
>>
File: Aquarium.jpg (497 KB, 2048x1536)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
Finally getting a place of my own and gonna get my own tank. Been looking after my dad's Mbuna tank for years. Weighing up between a goldfish tank or a reef tank.

What's the basics of a reef tank? Are running costs significantly more?
>>
>>2913910
Like what the other anon said, columnaris for me was a tank killer when I had guppies, literally killed 6 in one night after showing symptoms and it will kill any new fish in that tank if it's not treated with fungicide or bleach.
>>
>>2914520
>Very nice tank, congrats
Thanks. Regular water changes and plenty of water movement is all that I really do. I haven't owned a test kit since the late 90s. This is my newest tank, and it was custom built by drilling holes in the back and creating custom overflow boxes. I did this all myself. Its a $40 petco tank. It is nearing 5 years since wet, and in the next year will be replaced. Depending on what survives from the magnet rust, I may downgrade to a standard 29g or even a 20g long. I may just offer my corals to my local club, and tap out. I get tired of it after every tank, and have always taken a few years off. Saltwater is not expensive if you know what to do, but is still more costly than most imagine.
>>
So as soon as I get paid I'm converting my freshwater tank to a bog tank. I want the roots of the bog plants to cover the sides of the tank to offer cover, and have the plants coming out of the top of the tank. wish me luck boys
>>
>>2914523
bean animal overflow? or some other design?
>>
File: stylo and pocci.jpg (1.27 MB, 1920x2560)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>2914521
>What's the basics of a reef tank? Are running costs significantly more?
That question cannot be answered in the space that 4chan gives. I can give you some pointers. For a person experienced in mbuna, SW is a logical step. A barebottom tank is a great place to start using a basic "berlin" style with a protein skimmer. The biggest requirement is stability. It can be 6 months to a year after setup before a new tank is really ready for livestock. If you have patience, you can use dry/base rock to start. "Live rock" is expensive, and dry rock will become "live" after some time in a proper environment. I would never keep a SW under 40 gallons, and even that is small for a beginner. Larger water volumes allow for more stability with evaporation changing the density of the dissolved minerals. Source water is RO/DI preferably. Some people have success with well water depending on quality. IF you keep coral, lighting is critical, and is absurd by FW standards. my 40 gallon breeder @ 36" long is lit by 6x 39w t5-ho bulbs, and each bank is on its own digital timer. "Cheap" is a relative term. There are people with planted tanks that spend vast piles of money. I think a berlin setup is possibly the cheapest, but is also limiting because of the bare bottom...some species require sand, or even a crushed coral substrate. The bare bottom allows for massive water movement to keep waste from settling. I have a custom made sump (self made) that only has filter floss and a skimmer. It was 2 years after setup before I really started having the stability I needed to keep corals alive. Anyone can put them in their tank. It is another thing to have them not die. I think the main thing is that no matter how good you are, eventually something can go wrong, and even simple mistakes can be catastrophic. Aerosol cans of bug spray can cause issues. Copper in the water will kill, and once you start into a die off, it can compound and snowball.
>>
Im moving out with my girlfriend soon and she says that I can only keep 2-3 tanks in the apartment, I have a betta tank and a catfish tank and i want to start a goldfish tank when we move.
Id like to keep 3-5 pearlscale goldfish in it, so what size tank should i get? I was thinking 55g but I heard the dimensions are ass to deal with, what should i go with?
>>
File: side shot.jpg (1.16 MB, 1920x2560)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>2914526
>bean animal overflow? or some other design?
It is a modified herbie with dursos. I have 2 overflows with 2 outpipes. One is set for full siphon, and the other catches any excess. My right overflow will take 100% of the supply from the sump, while the left takes anything else, though either side can take 100%. The left side is low enough that it goes full siphon when I start back up after feeding. It was critical to me that it be totally silent, and this setup works perfect. The only thing I hear, that I hate is the mag drive 7 in the sump pushing the water back to the display tank. It has never gotten my floor wet ***KNOCK ON WOOD***.
>>
>>2914531
Yeah magdrives kick ass for the price but they're not super quiet. I used to have 2 9.5's on my tank, they were loud.
>>
>>2914527
Might try my own fresh water aquarium before tackling that beast.
Thanks for some perspective.
>>
File: feeding time - Copy.jpg (2.97 MB, 2988x5312)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB JPG
>>2914533
>Yeah magdrives kick ass for the price but they're not super quiet.
I still have one I bought back in the late 90s, and it still works. It wore out the housing a little bit, but as a backup it works wonders. It is amazing to me that they make such a quality product. Sure they are loud, but by the same token, the only reason I bought a 2nd one in nearly 30 years was fear that it would fail eventually.

Meanwhile, every "wavemaker" I have owned has died...but they only die when you don't have the funding to replace them right then and there, so I just switched to basic power-heads on timers. 3-4 hours on, and 3-4 hours off. In the last 12 months I have thrown out over $400 worth of various name brand wave makers.....My 15 year old power-heads still work, but the suction cups have pretty much shit the bed.

>>2914539
>Might try my own fresh water aquarium before tackling that beast.
>Thanks for some perspective.
It never hurts to research your options. Get other opinions as well. SW requires stability in many ways. You can't move around often, and for good success you should plan to have a setup for a few years at least. I used to keep african ciclids, and know how they are compared to SW. It is much cheaper not having to mix water every 2-3 weeks. Lighting is cheaper...but the density of fish in the water means that there is more waste and feeding....but with the cost of water being the main factor there, it is quite a bit cheaper. I do 10 gallons of salt every other week. 25 changes/year of "reef crystals" is 250 gallons. A 5 gallon tub of salt is good for 160 gallons of water and costs between $50-70. Lots of pumps + lots of lights translates to your power bill. I couldn't even tell you what it does to my electric bill, but I guarantee It costs.
>YFW You only got into the hobby to keep a mantis shrimp, which died 2 years later
>>
>>2914549
>mantis shrimp
Do want. Shit likes this makes me always consider SW. the colours and fish variety are so alien.
>>
>>2914512
I've seen it work.
>>
>>2914521
>Are running costs significantly more?
Christ...
>>
File: 525824u85u48545.jpg (414 KB, 1200x1200)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goXpgkUIgWc
>>
>>2914522
I have no idea if it even was columnaris. Seems to be so much contradictory info out there. All the other fish have come through the night fine and showing no symptoms whatsoever. I think I'm going to do a 50% water change, drop the temp a little, add some salt and maybe dose with melafix to be sure. What do you think?
>>
question, after the initial wood boiling/treatment do you need to take it out from time to time and clean it? or its just a one time thing?
>>
>>2913746
get some red/blues and some cory cats to keep everything clean
>>
>>2914097
yesterday I saw my betta grab a snail and rip it clean out of its shell. It was awesome bros
>>
File: FPIBC78156.jpg (402 KB, 621x800)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
Is anyone here a member of or have experience with the International Betta Congress (IBC)? Are they a good organization with a healthy membership or a tiny group of seniors? Especially curious to know if
>pic related
is worth the membership dues to access for someone who is interested in getting into bettas.
>>
>>2913746
>>2914278
>>2914312
jfc i hope to god for that fishes sake that this is bait, but knowing it's probably not, please atleast do some research for yourself instead of blindly trusting a salesperson trying to make money off the suffering of animals. fish abuse is animal abuse, youre better than that
>>
just maintained one of my favorite client's tanks, still going strong after almost a year. removed some plants in the foreground and re-propagated some of the microsorum. i really like the new impact emphasizing slightly more of the hardscape. opinions?
>>
>>2914296
I'm still cycling, I bought some moss and plants from a proper seller, and 1 plant in a local shop. That one plant introduced 4 kinds of life so far.
I'm hoping it didn't bring hydra also, because I'm liking the snails, ostracods & copepods.
>>
>>2914900
I don't know anything, but I like how it looks.
>>
>>2914900
I would either carpet the foreground with, e.g. staurogyne repens, or put white sand rather than the ugly brown planting substrate.
>>
>>2914969
yea i agree the amazonia regular isnt a great foreground texture, but i think the color complements that of the planting theme and hardscape. I actually already tried a staurogyne carpet, but removed it as i felt the color threw off the balance of the scape and detracted from the overall impact. Anyway my best bet was probably powder type amazonia in the foreground but i dont think im gonna bother adding it at this point. Thanks for the response! :)
>>
>>2914569
I haven't dealt with it in a long time honestly, my advice would to move the fish to another tank, treat the fish and then treat the tank. Again I haven't dealt with an outbreak in 10 years, so maybe Melafix will do fine in treating the whole tank with fish still in it. All my fish died in mine after 3 days, then I had to bleach the leftover tank and cycle it over again.
>>
looking to get back into the hobby with a 20g high tank (24 1/4"L x 12 1/2"W x 16 3/4"H). What are some of your favorite plants? right now ive only settle on cover most of the foreground with dwarf hair grass but dont know what to do about fore and midground plants
>>
>>2914703
anyone?
>>
>>2914549
>cracks your tank

heh, nothin personal kid
>>
>>2915143
Your wood will grow things (biofilm, etc), it's the job of your cleanup crew (snails, wood suckers like Plecos, shrimp, etc) to eat these things. Eventually this means your wood will be consumed and you'll need to replace it. This happens slowly unless the wood is extremely soft wood like grape vines. You don't need to clean it unless your cleanup crew doesn't stay on top of the fungus and bacteria slowly digesting your wood, or you get hair algae or something on it.

If this is the case, just a scrubbie to clean the wood and your gravel vac to collect the schmutz. If your params are good and your lighting is balanced, you'l avoid the algae and a snail will handle everything else.
>>
>>2914097
I've heard these called "lesser" ramshorns before because they're much smaller and the spiral is more horizontal than vertical
>>
>according to aqadvisor all my tanks are almost 300% overstocked
>not a single fish died in them, haven't see any kind of sickness in forever
>only time a fish died on my was on my old ass first tank that I got as a kid
should I start caring about it? a tank population I mean, back when I started into this all the info that managed to get here were badly translated magazines that never mentioned overstocking
>>
>>2915348
What the fuck are you keeping and in what tanks, anon?
>>
>>2915351
anything I can get my hands on as long as it's freshwater
once it looks to me that I have too many species in one tank I just build another one and get more species that I'm missing, only thing I have in consideration when buying is aggressiveness, as for the tank if it has x5 times the size of the adult fish then it fits, but I usually go for x7 or x10
like my discus + company are on a 100x60x40 aquarium, have all 6 of them since they were barely in the age to get sold, and they are almost at their 15 years life expectancy and still looking strong
>>
File: DSC_0198.jpg (1.36 MB, 2896x1944)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
Oh man, finally found some pics I had of my dad's SW tank before the divorce. Wish I had photos from right before he sold it when everything had actually grown in though. Loved those clown fish, they were always so entertaining to watch.
>>
File: DSC_0243.jpg (1.42 MB, 2896x1944)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>2915442
The stand he had made was beautiful too.
>>
File: DSC_0335.jpg (1.32 MB, 2896x1944)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>2915444
The last photo I have makes me even more mad I don't have a whole tank shot. Whatever this stuff is exploded, and there was several other corals that he had put in on the left side that had grown in.
>>
>>2914567
if you read the description, both fish are in a 75 gallon now, and that's a cute little tank
>>
File: af.png (335 KB, 600x547)
335 KB
335 KB PNG
>>2915442
holy that's a lot of snails, tell him to get a wrasse
>>
>>2914458
Anon, awesome reef but can you tell me how you modified your aqueon hood to remove that disgusting middle part that blocks the light?
>>
File: bait.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2913746
>>
Hey guys, I was looking for a decoration and for some reason my retarded ass leaved it in pic related. Is that algae growing in there? Is it safe to put it in my aquarium? Is there a way to sterilize it?
>>
File: IMG_20190109_014939.jpg (589 KB, 2610x4640)
589 KB
589 KB JPG
>>2915333
It's still growing though. I wonder how it'll turn out.
>>
Anyone tried this method for producing their own jellyfish?
Lugols is pretty cheap
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/zoo.21454
>>
How do I stop algae reeee
>>
>>2915838
What type of algae? Either control it with fish species or modify your flow/photoperiod until you're happy
>>
I have a huge closed backyard, and I enjoy fish enough to consider building a pond.
However, there's some potential issues:
>Very little sunlight
>Freezing temperatures in winter (no snow), hot (40ºC+) temperatures in Summer
>Occasionally, some trash ends up there from spic neighbors and/or carried by wind.
>Place is full of Snails, Slugs and other critters that may end up there
Is it a realistic project? or I will end up with a fish concentration camp? What would be a good choice of fish?
>>
>>2915638
That tank has been gone for at least seven years.
Also snails are based.
>>
>>2915933
If was your shoes, I wouldn't.
>>
Ever since my parrot cichlid of 8 years died, I’ve even able to stock smaller things in my tank. I’ve also noticed less of my plants being eaten
>>
File: 20190108_103500.jpg (351 KB, 567x1008)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
Axies are about to hatch
>>
Is my cory pregnant or just fat?
>>
>>2916062
>>
File: 20190111_204802-2016x1512.jpg (433 KB, 2016x1512)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
Fucking mold will not fuck off. It's been like three weeks and the shit is still here. Every other time I've had fresh wood do this it's only lasted a week. What gives?
>>
>>2916119
Some wood just has more to offer. You can boil it to remove some water soluble nutrients, but it might not help. It isn't an issue though, just ignore it.
>>
>>2916119
Most likely will eventually go away on its own
>>
>>2916124
I had boiled it prior to use for hours. Just annoying, and awful looking. I don't want to re-blackwater the tank until it's done molding too.
>>2916129
I know, it's just taking a lot longer than I expected and is frustratingly awful looking.
>>
livekoiforsale has a pack that's 5 random ranchu for $40($60 totally including shipping) Is this an awful deal for an online purchase? No one sells ranchus in my area locally
>>
>>2916119
It's just biofilm dude. Get a snail or some shrimp in there and they'll tear through it.
>>
>>2916119
Consider getting some shrimp, they'd happily graze on that.
What's the name for the moss variety?
>>
File: unscaped.jpg (428 KB, 1280x721)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
Gentlemen, I've got myself a 3g nano tank 3 weeks ago, Walstad cycled it with plants (clumps of Java Moss, some Riccia, Phoenix Moss and several Elodea stems) and dumped some MT snails and 4 RC shrimp in not too long ago. The beasts have been doing fine, but I suspect my plants are not quite as healthy as they could be. Elodea is my indicator for that, I've noticed it sending down roots and getting some new growth but its colour does not strike me as vibrant green (top right corner). Other plants have lower growth rate and I can't really see any changes, but this bleak elodea could be trying to tell me something and I am unable to decode the message.
Hardwater, 20% water changes 1-2 times a week, 8 hour LED lighting, no co2, no ferts since I've got dirt under the gravel.
>>
File: 7231939_orig.jpg (132 KB, 500x436)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>get 2 pearlscale goldfish for little sister's tank
>come back to parents' house a while later to find the goldfish in a tiny, empty uncycled and unfiltered bowl full of unprimed tap water
>ask mom why the fuck she did that
>mom starts yelling at me and calling me a retard for "putting sick fish in the tank"
>she thought they had dropsy and was attempting to cure them
>>
>>2916267
There's a shrimp already in there. The moss is fissidens moss
>>
>>2916282
>>she thought they had dropsy and was attempting to cure them

well damn at least she knew that much and her intentions were good
>>
>>2916398
Yeah I'm not angry at all, just amused by her actions. Also I did send her a message with pictures of them beforehand telling her it's normal for them to be that way.
>>
File: wRTCEQt.jpg (88 KB, 688x727)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Why do bettas love to squish themselves into things? All the ones I've had loved to get themselves tangled in plants or squeeze themselves into the corner of the tank behind a rock or piece of wood or something. And Google shows me a lot of peoples' bettas do this. Why? Reminds me of one of my cats who likes to squeeze herself into places.
>>
File: undead anubias.png (388 KB, 679x315)
388 KB
388 KB PNG
Previously un-leafed stump of anubias growth over the span of two years
>>
File: 20 Gallon.jpg (99 KB, 943x743)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
We picked up this little waterfall/river piece for $30 on sale yesterday and put it together in our 20 gallon. Currently, we have a green anole named Snert in there and we're thinking about getting some small fish to put in the basin and some Newts if we move Snert into another tank.
What do you guys think would look good in here for fish?
>>
>>2915236
>heh, nothin personal kid
The very first "Action" she did before killing EVERY hermit crab in the tank was strike the back wall of the tank. (pic related) All of the "stories" involving mantis shrimps breaking tanks also include 2.5 and 5 gallon "pane" glass tanks, and the few accounts I could find in writing came from biologists studying them. If you give them a large enough amount of space to be happy, they don't bother with the glass.

>>2915639
>Anon, awesome reef but can you tell me how you modified your aqueon hood to remove that disgusting middle part that blocks the light?
The Hinge DROVE ME INSANE. Most people wouldn't even notice that. I just pulled it off. I now have 2 pieces of glass that sit on the top of the tank. This also allows for gas exchange through a small slit in the front, center and rear. I HATED the shadow that it cast also.

In the last 3 weeks, one species of coral in my tank (Poccilipora) has started looking bad, including skin shedding and bleaching. I have theories that it may have been a frag rack's magnets getting wet, but it makes no sense why the most durable coral in my tank would die. I may have to post pictures, as I am still in the process of cleaning up. I did a HUGE water change and removed all of the dead/dying coral. It smells awful in here. For months I have been wishing I had more room for outgrowing corals, and now I have it lol.
>>
>>2914703
One time thing. Generally it grows bacteria that keep it clean.
>>
>>2914294
what is that black vine hanging off the plant in the background? m
>>
File: hingeless.jpg (1.16 MB, 2560x1920)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>2915639
>Anon, awesome reef but can you tell me how you modified your aqueon hood to remove that disgusting middle part that blocks the light?
I was still in the process of cleaning up after a huge water change and serious work removing a bunch of dead corals. I snapped this photo to give you an idea of what I did. It is not a big deal at all, but it does make the glass "unsafe" in that it can get cocked in the top of the tank, or even dropped into the tank. It isn't a canopy now, and is just panes of glass. In the past, I had access to tons of glass panes, and would just cut them to fit the lid of the tank, and call it a day.
>>
>>2916887
Well that only leaves like..... 2 or 3 gallons of water it seems. I'd stick with 1 betta
>>
>>2916887
Its not good for any fish or amphibiod
>>
Stripping my tank and it wont me used for 6 months minimum. Is it ok to clean the glass with windex. Will it linger 8 months, then kill anything i house in the tank?
Paranoid as fuck.
>>
>>2916887
way too small
>>
>>2916536
nice
rhizomes are cool
>>
Want to get some freshwater shrimp. Local selection is crap so I want to order online. All good online vendors (links from thread also) do not guarantee sexes.

Last thing I want to do is get a few shrimp and have them breed and end up having a bunch of shrimp overrunning everything. Only have this one tank set up so not like I can just fish them out and move them elsewhere.

What do?
>>
>>2917014
Use AquaticArts, don't worry about baby shrimp as long as you have a fish that will eat the eggs/larvae.
>>
>>2916990
>Stripping my tank and it wont me used for 6 months minimum. Is it ok to clean the glass with windex.
I wouldn't. Use vinegar and water solution and rise really well with water.
>>
File: 1511475134631.png (55 KB, 658x555)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
Petco is shutting down Drs. Foster and Smith.
>>
>>2917007
Yep, it was sitting as a rhizome for many months until I finally noticed the tiny leaf in the first pic. It was so small I could barely tell it was there.
>>
Are there any eel similar fish that would be comfortable in a 10gal that wouldnt tear up plants and could live peacefully with other creatures?
I just want a wacky wiggler
>>
>>2917169
Kuhli loach maybe but they feel more comfortable in groups.
>>
>>2916931
Probably a root from the java fern, but I'm not sure where you mean.
>>
>>2917179
Yeah I was looking at them, but I wouldn't want to keep a bunch, or have one alone and have it be unhappy
>>
>>2917179
>>2917247

a ten gallon is too small for kuhlis. They weatherdance and no 10g provides enough width or height for them to do it properly
>>
>visit friends, they have shrimp
>very interesting, inform myself and start a tank too
>come across this vid today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCRfVIWqNcc
Just, wow. The comments alone. I mean, I haven't even read about betta except tidbits here and there, and still I seem to know more than 99% of the people keeping one.
Fuck I hate the general public.
>>
File: KillallStormcloaks.jpg (1.52 MB, 1680x1260)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>Buy cheap property somewhere out in the goonies.
>Either aquire one with a cave or make one yourself.
>Find or make a suitably large pit inside this cave.
>Fill it with harmless bioluminescent organisms.
>Dump a large supply of moray eels into the pit.

You now have a place where you can sacrifice carcasses to the sea gods for good luck in your aquarium keeping. Thank me later.
>>
>>2916891
>>2916949
the hinge drives me insane too, why couldn't they make it clear for fuck sakes it blocks half the light from Chinese led boxes
>>
>test water
>ammonia at like 8-10ppm
>fish are still alive
Wtf bros ammonia is a scam
>>
>>2917353
>the goonies

Lol its boonies, anon
>>
File: 1435429505783.jpg (30 KB, 625x547)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>2913746
funny how many fish-people took the bait
>>
Starting out a new aquarium after taking several years of hiatus from the hobby. Going with a relatively simple setup, thinking about a 150-250l one as I dont want to bust my ass working to maintain water quality. Will most likely understock too. I have realized though, at this level aquarium equipment becomes much more expensive and I've been thinking about the best value I can get for my dosh. Which filter manufacturers are worth checking out? Should I get them used? Do I get a better deal from NA, west or east europe if shipping isnt an issue? Is there such a thing as a trustable chinese manufacturer? How advanced filtering setups can get if I'm willing to set up an external filter tank?
>>
>>2917518
biowheel because they're cheap, quiet and are overall just a great brand
>>
File: omgitspins.jpg (18 KB, 480x360)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2917528

>literally pic related given form

Thanks for the genuine laugh anon, who the fuck even came up with that shit?
>>
Alright guys, question because I don't have a test kit.

I have two neons and a Betta in a five gallon. I'm going to move everything (all gravel, plants, sponge filter) into a ten gallon and fill it up.

Since the bioload is relatively small, and everything in the old tank is getting moved over with the bacteria, should I be worried about the tank going through a cycle? Should I do a water change within the first week?
>>
>>2916887
You could do a couple of guppies or a few WCMM
>>
>>2917620

>ince the bioload is relatively small, and everything in the old tank is getting moved over with the bacteria, should I be worried about the tank going through a cycle?

No.

>Should I do a water change within the first week?

No.

>I have two neons

Are you retarded keeping a schooling fish not in a school?
>>
Whats with the retarded fixation on nano tanks here? People don't know it gets easier as tanks get bigger?
>>
>>2917686
Low bioload animals like shrimp
>>
>>2917686
most of /aq/ is unemployed children with no allowance that can't afford more than a 5g
>>
>>2917686
Most people don't do the basicest of research and will believe whatever generic salespeople tell em.
>>
>>2917575
I removed the wheel from mine and it's still a nice filter
>>
>brainstorming new aquarium layout
>nothing sits just right with me
I guess it's time for me to die
>>
File: 1407799220397.gif (1.37 MB, 359x202)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>>2917489
It really is. Worth the $5 "tank"
>>
File: plants.jpg (157 KB, 1175x786)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>2917739
>>
>>2917518
I've been running SunSun canisters for three years with no issue.
>>
>>2917752
Beautiful freshwater clown fish
>>
>>2917683
This why they are getting a new tank
>>
Is there any small peaceful fish (won't eat shrimp), that can take advantage or vertical space?
>>
>>2917905
post tank dimensions
>>
>>2917930
40" high, 10" width, 10" diameter

I was thinking shrimp, snail, and maybe something tiny like a stone catfish or chili rasbora
>>
>>2917169
Try one of the smaller bichir species
>>
>>2917852

Ten gallon is still tiny as fuck.
>>
>>2918037
Ten gallons supports a betta and iirc like 8 or so tetras. Honestly though he should blend the tetras since they're a shit fish anyways.
>>
Some morbidly obese shithead visited my house and did morbidly obese shithead things and now my betta fighter is blind. He doesn't move much, he stopped making bubble nests, and he barely ever spots the food I drop. And when he does, he only tries to eat it when he positions himself to have his forehead right below the food, and missing. And after that he doesn't bother to back off and try again, he just goes on forwards and pretends it didn't exist. What should I do anons? My best guess is to buy a few trillion Corydoras to eat the food he missed.
>>
Waiting for warmer climate to order cool snails sure does take a while
>>
>>2917686
I don't fit any larger aquariums in my shitty small apartment

>>
>>2917739
Doubt it was actually the posters "tank"
>>
>>2918084
The fuck happened?
>>
>>2918084
My betta became retarded like that too. Idk why. Maybe the water changes messed him up or something.
>>
File: IMG_20190114_135138.jpg (1.26 MB, 2610x4640)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
Is it possible that my tank has finished cycling in just 3 weeks?
>day 1: filled tank completely, added some fishfood flakes to start ammonia production
>day 5: measured some ammonia, added shrimp food stick (nettle)
>day 14: no ammonia, no nitrite, <10mg/l nitrate, added some fishfood flakes
>day 23 (today): no ammonia, no nitrite, <10mg/l nitrate
>>
>>2918135
Unlikely but it's not too hard to test. Just throw some more food in there. You only added fish food three times in over three weeks?
>>
>>2917932
Pretty crazy dimensions. Please post pics when you're done. Sounds really interesting.

Hatchetfish will stay at the top, however they don't really take advantage of height so much as they simply don't go lower.

The surface area is so small that all the fish I can think of off the top of my head that would take advantage of height simply wouldn't fit.

However I have seen shrimp-only tank that are considerably taller than wide and the shrimp actually do climb all over the place, when it's densely 'scaped vertically (tall wood/rocks with plants attached).

If you do go tall wood though, might want to get the fake stuff. If you get real wood and it starts to decay and leave all that brown shit everywhere, it'll be absolutely impossible to vacuum off the bottom. I had a hard enough time in my 18" tall small hex aquarium.
>>
>>2917025
Reminds me of Starbucks buying Teavana.

>Established, thriving business.
>Big chain decides to buy them out.
>Turns once profitable business into shit
>Closes down business in just a few years
Good job, dumb corporate fucks.
>>
>>2918121
>Maybe the water changes messed him up
No clue why you would think that but unless your new water is shit, that is not what happened. How old is your betta?

>>2918084
>>2918113
Seconded, really want to know how the fuck that happened.
>>
>>2918157
Yes, one was a pretty big stick and I was told that was plenty.
I've added some more flakes today. Is it possible that ostracods are helping with the cycle? I've got a buttload of em since week 2.
>>
>test water yesterday
>ammonia is at 8ppm
>did a 50% water change
>check water today
>ammonia still at 8ppm
>no nitrite/nitrate
>fish are still alive
am i just not able to grow bacteria? 55g btw
>>
>>2918341

Give it more time if you have just started cycling or use a starter. It can take up to a month to get a new aquarium running. Just use a starter if you want to shave a few days off.

If not new, you are most definitely overfeeding or there is some kind of decomposing going on in your tank. Dead fish or too many rotten leaves most likely.
>>
>>2918344
All of my fish are alive (only have six albino cories and six black skirt tetras). I don't have live plants either. I was likely overfeeding, as I fed the cories shrimp pellets from Omega One, I'll put less pellets in, every other day instead of every day. I cleaned the media in my filter as well (with tank water). I'll see what happens in another week.
>>
>>2916277
i like it
>>
>>2918346

If its a consistent problem, try switching to live food or introduce feast days. Fishes should always stay hungry, overfeeding is a very easy.
>>
>>2918158
I was wondering how I was going to vacuum the bottom, but I thought I could drain most of the water for a water change, then carefully tilt the tank.

If I put it on carpet, pretty sure it won't bust if I drop it.

Also trying to find some kind of pump that will pump that high, from the bottom, and not get clogged up easily. I could also make a sweet paludarium set-up with a waterfall and maybe some tiny species of frogs.

Only problem is, I can't find these containers anymore. Found the last one by searching "giant floor vase", but all I can find now is 6" diameter and 24" height. Not great dimensions for what I want.
>>
>>2913746
Add a nice clown loach or two to keep the bottom clean of poop.
>>
File: 1547325914787.jpg (119 KB, 561x606)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>2916529
fish have feelings anon.
>>
Anyone here with pea puffers?
>>
File: image0.jpg (1.4 MB, 4032x3024)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
Haven't seen this fella with his dong out yet, really fascinating and impressive how long it is
>>
File: 0114192204a~2.jpg (1.56 MB, 2708x3864)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
Hello friends. You may recognize me as the Anon from earlier this year who threw a handful of salvinnia in his pond and had it grow everywhere. Well with the cold season coming all of it died, but damn did it filter the water. The water has been the clearest in years ever since I threw it in, I just couldn't see it cause they covered the surface.

Anyways, being the dumb ass I am, I thought that it would survive until next year, which it obviously did not. I took literally two plants like a dumbass from the pond, and said that this will be my back up(pic related).

Is it likely that this will ever grow into the giant mass i previously had? It's literally only split into these smaller plants in two weeks. While in my pond the plants easily doubled overnight.
>>
>>2918568
In your pond, it had loads of nitrogen and phosphorus and full sun. Don't expect it to explode in clean water under indoor lighting like it did in dirty water outdoors.
>>
File: 20190114_225700-2016x1512.jpg (562 KB, 2016x1512)
562 KB
562 KB JPG
>>2918099
It was. It is mine.
>>
File: 20190114_231218-2016x1512.jpg (484 KB, 2016x1512)
484 KB
484 KB JPG
>>2918099
This is the actual home of my delightful assistant Twitch.
>>
File: 20190113_150059.jpg (3.2 MB, 4128x2322)
3.2 MB
3.2 MB JPG
Ferdinand is a year old now. And I just noticed my pleco isnt doing his job and I have algae to clean
>>
>>2918113
>>2918121
>>2918164

The shithead was carrying a laser pointer with him and likely shined that shit into my fishes eyes. And because he couldn't eat properly because he can't see his food, he became slow and stopped making bubble nests. I bought it somewhere around september 2017.
>>
>>2918696
>pleco for algae
>>
Is there any kind of wood I shouldnt use in my tank? I'm going out looking for some driftwood and need to know if theres anything I should avoid
>>
>>2918696
>crayfish with live plants
>>
>>2915645
Hydrogen peroxide
>>
Wow dwarf sag just really doesnt give a fuck, does it? These plants have been sitting in the dark forgotten and neglected for months crammed into a tiny glass pot and they're still as green and vibrant as they were with co2 and high light. Gonna put them in with my goldies and see how they fair. What are some other indestructable plants?
>>
File: IMG_2685.jpg (852 KB, 2560x1920)
852 KB
852 KB JPG
I love goldfish.
So hardy and beautiful.
>>
>>2918804
is that a fucking betta in the background?
>>
>>2918806
Yep! Saved her from Walmart when she was the last one on the shelf, malnourished and close to death... Couldn't leave her there to die alone, and now she's healthy and three years old.
Right now I'm cleaning her tank.
The goldfish mind their own and don't bother her.
>>
>>2918810
oh okay
>>
>>2918810

>mixing bettas with goldfishes
>buying fish from walmart
>"saving" malnourished and sick fishes instead of buying healthy ones

Jesus fuck, this is so retarded, I seriously hope this is bait.
>>
File: IMG_2692.jpg (904 KB, 2560x1920)
904 KB
904 KB JPG
>>2918936
Nothing wrong with saving fish or at least providing them with food and a comforting home to pass away in.
To be honest I didn't expect her to live, but my planted hospital tank, some simple medication, and plenty of good food was all she needed to make a recovery.

You also missed how the mixing is/was temporary, and it doesn't really matter when the goldfish don't even bother her.
Whatever though... I get it, you've got to be contrary in order to come across as the better aquarium keeper.
>>
>>2918972

>Nothing wrong with saving fish or at least providing them with food and a comforting home to pass away in

Yes it does. Its pitmom tier stupid sentimentality. You think the fish mills churning out malformed, undernourished, inbred fries in the literal millions will give a shit because you want to larp? If you actually cared about the wellbeing of fish you'd buy the hardiest stock raised on proper food and in a proper environment from reputable breeders to cut into the profit of mills and get better pets for yourself. You cared more about larping as "saving" trash.

>some simple medication, and plenty of good food was all she needed to make a recovery.

No medicine can heal congenital birth defects, abnormalities, the effects of deficiencies and stress while the fish is developing. You cant "fix" it.

>You also missed how the mixing is/was temporary, and it doesn't really matter when the goldfish don't even bother her.

Yes it fucking does as the different species desire completely different water. Keeping them together causes them stress, weakens their immune system and makes them more vulnerable to parasites.

>Whatever though... I get it, you've got to be contrary in order to come across as the better aquarium keeper.

What the fuck is with the preemptive deflecting? How maintaining proper aquarist standards like not mixing incompatible fishes and buying crap is "being contrarian"? Thes are the fucking BASICS of fishkeeping. This is literally pitmom tier now.
>>
>>2918981
Cool.
Post your fish.
>>
>>2918982

>a literal no u

Are you upset because of your virtue signalling was shot down or because you took the list of things you need to fix as a personal attacks?
>>
File: IMG_0199.jpg (1.9 MB, 2592x1944)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>2918983
Not at all.
Post your fish.
>>
>>2918984

Yes you are. You are desperate because you want to counterattack and shit talk me so badly to deflect my criticism off yourself but I gave you nothing and will continue to do so.
>>
File: IMG_0148.jpg (1.29 MB, 2048x1536)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>2918985
Just wanted to see your fish, my man.
Oh well.
>>
>>2918981
>fish mills
Thanks anon I needed a smile today.
>>
i need some comforting, my brand new albino bristlenose pleco jumped out of my tank while i was work, i feel like shit
>>
>>2919456
get a lid you idiot
>>
>>2919456
im going to now, i just have never had this issue before and evaporation was never an issue either
>>
>>2919490
meant for
>>2919475
>>
>>2913424
How do I change water and clean the detritus from the bottom of my daphnia tank without sucking up a bunch of daphnia? I lose probably a 1/4 of my colony every week when I do a water change and it makes me sad.
>>
>>2918981
>getting this mad over a betta
please consider therapy
>>
>>2919537
while the pages worth of rage is unnecessary, anon really should take better care with their purchases. You arent rescuing a walmart betta because its dying in its cup. You're just purchasing a walmart betta and ensuring another betta takes its place. It's only really a rescue if you convince the employees to give you the fish for free
>>
>>2918697
What a degenerate fatass
>>
>>2918686
>>2918694
I knew something was fishy about this!
>>
>>2919681
The live plants should have been a huge red flag. Lol
>>
>>2919537

>dude why u take seriously haha its just animal cruelty and needless stupidity lol, chillax dude haha

Is this an american thing? I always see this kind of deflection when someone gets called on or corrected about something.
>>
>>2917025
I miss flying fish express
>>
File: IMG_20190116_162614.jpg (527 KB, 4640x2610)
527 KB
527 KB JPG
My very first shrimp (neocaridina) arrived, drip acclimating them now.
>>
File: IMG_20190116_161801.jpg (367 KB, 4640x2610)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>
>>2919703
>anon saves dying betta
>animal cruelty

>>2919657
>walk into a place of business
>demand free product
>>
>>2919918

>anon saves dying betta
>animal cruelty

Yes he did. He supported a place that sells degenerate and sick animals instead of getting healthy ones from a reputable breeder. What the fuck do you think, what will happen after anon enjoyed his good boi points, went home and blogged how much of a good boi he was on the internet? The walmart just went and restocked with hundreds of suffering fishes, because there is a sucker born in every minute like that anon who intentionally fucks him over then brags about it.
>>
File: IMG_20190116_201954.jpg (21 KB, 460x607)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>2919841
They've been in the tank for 2 hours now. So far so good, they're all swimming around & feeding.
>>
File: IMG_20190116_201914.jpg (88 KB, 764x1065)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>2919977
>>
File: IMG_20190116_201653.jpg (38 KB, 662x497)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20190116_201639.jpg (76 KB, 799x614)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20190116_201354.jpg (60 KB, 805x379)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>
File: mockup.jpg (115 KB, 854x280)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>2914992
Mocked up both ideas anyway
>>
>>2920002

Adding minor unrelated input: put a small plastic or glass cup in a little hole between the plants. Try to find the "dead zone" of water circulation with it. The mulm will collect in the cup making it super easy to siphon off.

When I had to take care of some needy bitches in a larger aquarium I just sank a few shot glasses in between the plants and it worked out pretty well. All the shit and detritus were super easy to clean and the water was always pristine.
>>
File: 20190116_143644.jpg (2.46 MB, 4032x2268)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>2913424
I have an endler that keeps chasing a larger swordtail, pretty sure they are both male. Is this normal social behavior or bullying? Kinda new to these type of fish
>>
>>2919918
>dying betta
Ever wonder why they're ALL dying when you go in a Walmart?
>>
File: osprey-with-bass.jpg (73 KB, 640x480)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Jesus christ, look at these videos. Perfect chronicle of a retarded idea and how it progresses

"My Saltwater Pond" - Dated: April 25th. Yes, it's exactly the stupid thing it sounds like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye0gQfcseqk

"May 23, 2016" - Less than a month later, update on the status of the pond and it's inhabitants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKKgWEzS4PU

"June 7, 2016" - Another update, now it's a koi pond, except it's a shallow pond full of blue dye with no real shade from Texan sun and no where for the koi to hide from predators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OEUnQcw8z0

Have you ever seen anything worse than this? More fucking money than sense
>>
>>2920326
Those poor fish when it rains :/
>>
>>2920326
The strangest part is how it would be so easy to dig it deeper. Like even just a foot or two, a weekend with a shovel and less then $100 worth of plastic sheet would be enough.
>>
>>2918983
>>2918985
>>2919703
passing anon who also wants to see your fish
>>
>>2920259
Not him, but I'd imagine it's because they're probably tossed around like inanimate inventory when being shipped out across the country and stocked on shelves.
Not to mention that they're just sitting in still tap water, waiting to die or be bought.
>>
>>2920478
that's purposeful. Sales of those bettas are dependent on two types of people. The ones too dumb to know what a sick betta looks like, and the ones trying to 'save' the bettas from the awful conditions. Places like Walmart get those bettas for basically pennies so any sell is a big profit for them. The worst they look, the more attractive they are to rescuers. If one dies, they have hundreds to put out at very little cost to them
>>
>>2920505

This. It's amazing how they managed to commercialize the desire of idiots to be seen as a good person.
>>
>>2920518
Ive seen video of people buying the entire tank full of feeder goldfish at Walmart and dumping them all into their outdoor ponds and always mentioning 'giving the fish a better life'

People just dont know shit
>>
File: IMG_2680.jpg (886 KB, 2560x1920)
886 KB
886 KB JPG
>all this animosity over sharing a picture of some goldfish with a betta in the background
Holy fuck.
I know I wasn't "saving" it, I just thought I'd use some kind words for a little humane levity instead of just going through the typical motions of listing water parameters, tank size, ammonia levels, etc. and then asking what you think.
I understand that lives in the pet industry, especially coming from places like Walmart, PetSmart, and the like, are just an item to be sold. Usually they end up either thrown out in the garbage out back, in some kid's one gallon still water uncycled hell, or at least taken in by somebody that has a basic understanding of how to care for fish.

To be frank, I don't care if my purchase upsets you and I'd do it again just to piss you off since you don't know me or my background in regards to aquatics.
I also don't believe that it makes a difference for Walmart as a whole.
That giant is going to keep on marching with or without my purchase of something they spend pennies on.
Like I said, AT LEAST it's being cared for by someone who'll take care of it rather than just being thrown out at the end of the day like trash.

Anyway, I still want to see your fish, my man.
I'm not going to make fun of or attack you, I just love seeing aquariums.
>>
>>2920540
bettas shouldn't be kept with anything besides inverts, they're too aggressive
>>
>>2920540

>he comes back to seethe a day later and to tell how much he doesnt care

Apex lyl, Lemme go through this line by line cause this is some exquisite shit.

>I know I wasn't "saving" it
>Saved her from Walmart when she was the last one on the shelf, malnourished and close to death... Couldn't leave her there to die alone

>of just going through the typical motions of listing water parameters, tank size, ammonia levels, etc.

Those typical motions are what fish care about and important to their wellbeing. They dont give a shit about human levity or rescue fantasies.

>I understand that lives in the pet industry, especially coming from places like Walmart, PetSmart, and the like, are just an item to be sold. Usually they end up either thrown out in the garbage out back, in some kid's one gallon still water uncycled hell, or at least taken in by somebody that has a basic understanding of how to care for fish.

Then you are even MORE retarded for consciously and deliberately choosing to propagate that system and buying a junk fish. Guess what, after you left with your "saved" fish they just restocked with more. As long there are emotional suckers like you they will keep having fish to be saved.

>To be frank, I don't care if my purchase upsets you and I'd do it again just to piss you off since you don't know me or my background in regards to aquatics.

Holy shit, this is some real, actual butthurt. Pissing away your money and torturing animals will surely show that "Anonymous" guy on the internet whos the boss!

>Like I said, AT LEAST it's being cared for by someone who'll take care of it rather than just being thrown out at the end of the day like trash.

And by buying there, you ensured thousands of more fishes will end up with irresponsible owners like you or thrown out, because you showed them their model is profitable.

>Anyway, I still want to see your fish, my man.

This is just deviantart tier "LETS SEE UR ART THEN"
>>
>>2920584
You want me to take a vow of poverty with you, anon?
We can both live together, naked in the woods, pissing on a picture of the Walmart name/logo together.

>Pissing away your money and torturing animals will surely show that "Anonymous" guy on the internet whos the boss!
Well it's certainly getting a rise out of you.
>>
>>2920588

>Well it's certainly getting a rise out of you.

>"n-no its y-you w-whos m-m-mad!"

>You want me to take a vow of poverty with you, anon? We can both live together, naked in the woods, pissing on a picture of the Walmart name/logo together.

I just want retards out of this hobby, or atleast be able to take good advice and not go full screeching defensive mode.
>>
>>2920590
>not go full screeching
lmao
>>
Joey got rid of his Oscar. His new plan is to keep fish for only three months and get rid of it before he can kill it
>>
>>2920634
>His new plan is to keep fish for only three months and get rid of it before he can kill it

It actually makes sense from a famous youtuber point of view though. You always need new fresh exciting shit for your viewers. People get bored of seeing the same thing (fish) over and over again.

Make no mistake Youtube is a business for these people.
>>
File: IMG_0193.jpg (1.43 MB, 3264x2448)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
I have a 12g fluval edge with 1 blue ram, 8 rummy nose tetras and 3 corys.

Would it be to ambitious to house a honey gouramim within this setup?

It breathes air, so oxygen wouldn't be an issue
very hard and peaceful
I do water changes 5 times a week (0 ammonia according to yesterdays reading)
ph, temperature and hardness are good for the gourami
the ram isn't a dick to the tetras (in fact they bully him)

Thoughts? My main concern is simple space, I have tons of plants but i wanna get a second opinion

pic is my tank right now,
>>
>>2920660
>>2920592
>Viewers reacting negatively to him teaching people they can just buy fish and surrender them to per stores when they are done with them
>Posts a video that he is "disappointed" in his veiwers reacting this way because "it shouldn't be a surprise"
>Is one of the few people that could properly care from some of these animals and still pulls this shit
>Acts like he's doing important education, when his videos were actually better before this gallery shit happened and he was making diy vids
>>
File: 2ed.png (26 KB, 750x750)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>2920680
Yeah apparently that guy is a real cunt. From leddit:

All the nasty shit he has done to the local people in Nova Scotia. ( at which I could make a huge laundry list of )

The main one being he didn't actually build his 375 gallon tank like he says he did. He did do some stuff but not all of it, and he also pieced together "lost/never seen before" footage that was not the actual 375 tank claiming he did actually build it.

When a local guy named Wayne built it who also happens to have 2 YouTube channels one is woodentoolman the other is his personal marine aquariums channel where he actually shows several tanks bigger then the one Joey has. They were supposed to have some sprt of deal where Wayne would build the tank and Joey would give him credit and promote him. Once most the tank was done Joey screwed him over amd left Wayne for the bill.

That's also not the first time Joey has screwed people over.

People like to say oh he is genuine and nice etc etc and does it for everyone else yet all they are seeing is the TV Joey it's all an act he is a real pos outside of business eg his Youtube channel and shows he does.

Leta also mention that he primed his audience on YouTube with sob stories about the gallery for weeks a glorified garage that he says he spent over 40k building. A garage dosent cost that much to build especially one that size.

He then says thw rest is for equipment etc etc yet low amd behold when it comes to setup time he has 3 major sponsors donating everything he needs and didn't spend a dime on it. Not the first time he has ripped people off either.

I could go on and on but lets end it there cause people like to say he his the best DIY yet all his projects are poor build quality and a lot of the DIY projects in his book are stolen from across the internet and copied word for word heck even some of the pictures are used. The guy is a con artist and a pos end of story.
>>
File: image0.jpg (1.42 MB, 3024x4032)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
So I have a 3 gallon tupperware container that I threw ramshorrn snails and set up as a breeding tank running for about 6 months now. Pic related but it has went a good amount of revision since this picture, with a java fern and an anubias attached to a rocky cave looking decor as well as the house plant's roots contained in a filter bag and has grown out far more considerably now. The shrimp also kinda died off due to an early fuck up of mine but the snail population still held strong since then.
Would it be viable to throw a betta in this? The filter flow is a bit strong but I plan on weakening it and also adding a heater to raise from the room temp of 70-72 F. Mostly also wondering if it would fuck up the snails or not.
>>
File: IMG_20190117_232827.jpg (31 KB, 459x283)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
I've only had em since yesterday, but what fun they are!
>>
>>2920779
lol its all probably true. He did go to jail for attempting to kill a guy at a guys wedding
>>
Can shrimps survive in a pond? I need something to help maintain it. I live in a tropical country if that matters.
>>
File: DxGefLdVAAElOwt.jpg (17 KB, 397x448)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>cat managed to climb into the fish drawer and knock over a bottle of Prime
>tightly closed bottle still leaks
>>
>>2921022
>Lol it's probably true

Oh innocent anon. You are going to get raped in the ass by a salesman someday.
>>
>>2920828
>tfw my shrimp ate my memeball
>>
>>2920957
Shrimp really are a lot of fun to raise.
>>
>>2921382
look at all those tiny babbies!
>>
>>2921382
>watermark
>>
>>2921035
If you don't get huge temperature changes then yeah they can.
>>
File: Guppy_red_male.jpg (109 KB, 996x725)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Yo guys, will guppies make neon tetra feel safer if I don't want to get a full school of neons?

I have two that I moved to that ten gallon, but I kind of don't want anymore.

I called the local petshops and a couple friends who have tanks; no one wants them. I think I'm stuck with them till they die, but I really don't want to get more. They are schooling fish, and while I know a ten gallon is -ok-, I know it's not preferred...but I really don't want a bigger tank.

So would two or three mle guppies make them feel any safer?
>>
>want to get bamboo shrimp
>can't justify spending $15 for one animal that's only going to live a year
>>
File: VID_20190118_201623.webm (2.93 MB, 1280x720)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>2921382
Indeed
>just found my phone macro lens again
>>
File: IMG_20190118_201705.jpg (893 KB, 4640x2610)
893 KB
893 KB JPG
>>2921748
>>
File: IMG_20190118_201111.jpg (879 KB, 4640x2610)
879 KB
879 KB JPG
>>2921727
Can't you buy a few, breed & sell?
>>
>>2920331
So many fish killed by such an obvious flaw. It's awful

>>2920337
Could also easily add some forms of shelter and shade, more plants. There's really no reason for it at all
>>
has anyone ever had success mixing aquasoil with sand? i want the sand as the top of the substrate.

i'm aware it will sink down eventually, but i was wondering if it was possible to just have a centimeter of aquasoil fill it with so much sand there is always sand at the top, and in order to prevent the aquasoil from coming up during maintenance i was thinking i could put a mesh in-between. that way the aqua soil doesn't ever come up to the surface, but can still be suctioned fairly well. i can cut a hole in the mesh around where the plants will be, so they can still have some nutrients from the soil and won't wither in sand

should i just say fuck it and go full sand? i'm just trying to accommodate my corydoras, the plants not thriving is fine as long as they can survive in sand
>>
File: IMG_20190119_004603.jpg (570 KB, 4640x2610)
570 KB
570 KB JPG
>>2921752
Snail carrying air in its shell?
>>
File: IMG_20190119_005907.jpg (1.06 MB, 4640x2610)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>2921906
Ostracod. I really like these little buggers.
>>
File: 20190112_191747.jpg (1.13 MB, 1920x2560)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>2920085
>The mulm will collect in the cup making it super easy to siphon off.
This is a really good tip actually. I would never have thought about such a thing, but it makes sense.

>>2914527
I posted this photo earlier. I Had some sort of "Issue" in my tank, and 100% of my SPS (branching stony corals) have pretty much died. I have had some of these colonies since they were single 3/4" nubs. The yellow/green pocci I have had nearly 5 years.

Every single one of them did what I could categorize as "RTN" or Rapid Tissue Necrosis. The ONLY change in the tank was that a few frag rack magnets got wet, and possibly polluted the water.

The tank looks barren and empty, but all of my LPS & anemones have survived and are doing well. I also have a blue ridge coral that seems to have survived, and I am 75% sure. I have seen life out of it, but it was never what I considered active. It normally looks dormant, so I will know when it shows more polyps.

The change in water quality from all beginnings of decomposition caused a small cycle, and I have gone heavy on carbon and filtering. I did a 50% water change (20 gallons). It seems to be stable at this point.

I don't know if I am responsible directly for this, or if something out of my control caused it, and I most likely will never know. I know it is not from overfeeding or lack of water changes. I only feed 3x times a week at most. I can't keep most zoanthids because my water is too clean and lacks any of the trace nitrates and phosphates that some corals seem to do better with.

The corals bleached out over the course of a few days, and pic related is what pulled out, and there is still some in the tank.
>>
File: 20190112_191726.jpg (1.23 MB, 2560x1920)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>2921959
Pic related is what it looked like right after removing all the dead/dying corals. It has cleared up since I did this a week ago. Next week I will probably do another 50% water change. I have noticed that the remaining 2 hard coral colonies (the pink & purple ones on the left 1/3) have some life in them, so I left them. IF anything recovers, I will isolate it, and removed the dead parts. Most of them however are beyond saving.
>>
do you have to do waterchanges if there are nothing but plants in a tank? do you have to cycle a planted tank if there are no fish?
>>
>>2922102
yes because the plants need their minerals. it's basically refreshing their diet. you can simply use fertilizer to cycle and feed your plant. fertilizer contains a fuckton of nitrogen that your plants will appreciate.
>>
>>2922102
I don't think you have to cycle with just plants, but yeah, needs water changes and no chlorine. Maybe stable temps too, but not sure.
>>
File: 20190119_153537[2].jpg (1.75 MB, 3264x1836)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
anybody know what kind of fish these are? it looks like nile tilapia but i am not sure. i have a billion of them in my pond but never know what they are. thye have dark offspring that turns yellow when they are adults. pic related.
>>
File: bvhdfhnjdf.jpg (14 KB, 480x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>2922177
brown recluse
also checked
>>
>>2922177
pull one out and get a better pic. They could literally anything from that angle
>>
>>2922177
eagle
>>
>>2921650
bro just put them in a tiny cup and then dump them in the neon tetra tank at Petsmart when no one is looking
>>
>>2921650

>Yo guys, will guppies make neon tetra feel safer if I don't want to get a full school of neons?

No.

>I have two that I moved to that ten gallon, but I kind of don't want anymore.

Euthanize them with clove oil then.
>>
>>2921650
those 2 will be fine if there is nothing more in that 10g
>>
>>2922453
There's a Betta that doesn't bother them.
>>2922419
>Euthanize them

Isn't that a bit extreme? They're healthy fish.

>>2922390
Lol
>>
>>2922498

You dont need them, no one wants them and they are living in constant stress as they are unable to school.
>>
>>2922502
You know I don't mean to shit on you, but wouldn't they be showing signs of stress more? I've been looking up fish illness so I can quarantine any new fish I get, and a lot of stuff mentions stress. Some of the examples it gives is hiding, clamped fins, lethargic, no appetite, aggression.

They don't display any of those. They eat and swim all over the tank and never hide.

I'm not saying it should be promoted that they do just fine without a school, but forgive me for being a bit skeptical that they are in "constant stress". The way they are acting now, it doesn't feel right to euthanize.
>>
Dropdead retard here. Is it ok to use LED strips for a planted tank?
>>
>>2922518
I think so, but different LEDs have different luminens. Might want to look into that and figure out what your plants need in terms of light.
>>
File: 20190119_125027.jpg (3.5 MB, 5312x2988)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
I've had this pair of peacock gudgeons for 2 years, and one just died. He was hanging out with the body when I woke up today. Holy fuck I can't handle this. I just looked up their lifespan, and they are supposed to live 5 years. I'm gonna try a few medications now. Fuck people that think fish are mindless animals.
>>
>>2922561
F
>>
I think my angelfish has a prolapse. My female freshwater angelfish, about 5 years old, is acting normally, but her cloaca looks to be much larger than usual and a pink mass appears to be bulging out slightly. Will she recover, or is it time to use the clove oil?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Hey guys, what's up. It's youtubeattentionwhore69420 and I'm here to tell you how to make a great saltwater tank:

Step 1: Blue Lights.
Step 2: Shitty """""Live""""" Rock covered in purple shit and literally nothing else; remember sponges, bivalves, tunicates, etc. have no place in a marine tank because you're a retard and don't know how to keep anything alive. Stack that shit in a solid brick wall that looks like a dump truck just overturned.
Step 3: Neon green corals. As many as you can stick in the tank.
Step 4: Yellow fucking Tangs. As many as you can stick in the tank.

Now you've made a great fucking tank. The oceans are turning into a giant toilet. Fuck yes.
>>
>>2922692
Not sure what your problem is anon, looks pretty natural to me. You got something against biotopes?
>>
>>2922695
Haha very funny.
>>
>>2922561
something is defnetly wrong with your water
that or they just had typical big store poor genetics
>>
File: raw sewage.jpg (657 KB, 1000x563)
657 KB
657 KB JPG
>>2922697
lmao nice purple and green reef faggot. what a dumpster fire, and is that a yellow FUCKING tang i see?

What's your tank look like bud?
>>
>>2922708
The reef tank has to "pop".

It has to pop. POP! POP! POP!
>>
How do y'all feel about Aquarium Co-Op on YT? Came across the channel when looking for info on pea puffers, but I'm a total noob so except for the stuff I read in the past month about keeping shrimp I know very little and have yet to learn what is good info.

Also, maximum kino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvmGJuquuLE
Updates every month, up to last week. Super relaxing to watch.
>>
>>2922740
I don't share some of his practices ideas, but I guess its fine for begginers to watch
specially the foolsproof nitrogen cycle video
>>
>>2922740
He was my main source of information when I was first starting this hobby, and I've rarely run into problems since then.
>>
Solid Gold killed all her fish again. claims she had to rehome them
>>
>>2922842
Yeah I saw, smells like bullshit to me. Why would she rehome her goldfish and then immediately get a bunch of new ones?
>>
File: 1468870055003.jpg (72 KB, 500x449)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
So I bought some Ghost Shrimp to live with my Guppies and corydoras and Assumed they would be chill like RCS. However the more I read I hear things about how they eat sleeping fish alive even if they are healthy just because the temperature was too high or they got a little hungry. So now the question is how do I keep these bastards alive until tomorrow to return to the pet store without putting them in my tank? I only have one aquarium available. Can I keep them in the bag and hang it over the side to keep it warm enough? I have a spare breeder trap I was thinking about using but don't want them to spread any diseases to tank or any shit. should I leave them in the bag, put them in the breeder or would they be okay to keep with guppies and corydoras? I got some hornwort I can float in their bag if they would help give them oxygen. I know they are like a dollar each but don't want to just kill them because I was too retarded to research an animal before buying it.
>>
Okay /aq/ so I accidently bought a replacement carbon filter media that was too big for the filter,would it be safe to put it in my tank and take out the sponge filter? Can this nlyon bag of carbon produce enough benifical bacteria? If I place the sponge on the running water flowing into the tank will that work just as effectively? Sorry for the questions, I'm new to this.
>>
>>2922852

Dont use a carbon filter unless you specifically want to filter something out.
>>
>>2922865
Whats the best filtration system for a planted tank?
>>
>>2921727
>bamboo shrimp
>that's only going to live a year
nigger what the fuck are you talking about? got 6 like 8 years ago and all of them are still alive, and to clarify its the common one, not the dwarf
>>
>>2922846
feed them algae wafers until their shrimpy bloodlust subsides
>>
>>2922872
Weird, I've always been under the impression that they simply don't live that long, and I've seen websites saying the same.
>>
>>2922907
you probably looking at sites with the small ones, is the max size listed 3'' or 6''?
they don't have different scientific names so you need to identify it yourself
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiK6NUlBhP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiK6NUlBhP8
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiK6NUlBhP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiK6NUlBhP8

YA GURL IS BACK!
and she killed all her goldfish except for one lmao
>>
>>2922963
>and she killed all her goldfish
again?
>>
>>2922974
Are you really going to take some assholes word on that without even bothering to watch the actual video?
>>
File: IMG_20190119_230109363.jpg (3.46 MB, 4096x3072)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB JPG
>>
>>2922979
>she was away due to "health issues"
her fish died and she didnt know how to explain to the audience
>had to get rid of all her fish except one
ye sure, cuz keeping fish is such a hassle, while she doesnt have a problem with keeping her frogs and even changing up their setups and ordering new tanks and building new bioactive enclosures
>got new "idiot proof" tanks for her new goldfish, which she wants te keep barebone without decorations what so ever
gee i wonder why she want idiot proof tanks for her goldfish now
>got new goldfish which she ordered long ago but changed up her order to dont get ballooneyed ones
why doesnt she want the more delicate ones anymore? those were THE FISH making up the face of her channel forever and her personal favourite

>heh guise i was just feeling down. so i got rid of some fish tehe ;)
if she says so ;)
>>
>>2922985
makes more sense than the shit she talked in this clip ngl
>>
>>2922979
these anons are onto you, stupid whore
>>
>>2922963
Oh dang she obviously had a 4 month psychotic break and youtube comments and fish deaths are the likely triggers. People who care too much never seem to last long in the hobby. She sounds like she's been going to therapy and taking antidepressants. I'm no psychotriapist but I think she's made a mistake by coming back to her triggers.
>>
>>2922992
mentally ill shouldnt be allowed to keep pets in the first place
atleast this nutjob wont have kids
>>
NEW THREAD
>>2923050
NEW THREAD
>>2923050
NEW THREAD
>>2923050
NEW THREAD
>>2923050

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.