[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: chinchilla-held.jpg (71 KB, 712x556)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
Do chinchillas make good pets? Are there any downsides to keeping them?

The chinchilla fever is getting pretty bad, convince me not to get one.

Also discuss other exotics!
>>
They are largely skittish. Even when they bond with you and accept skritches they will be jumpy and flighty. The vet bills for them are very expensive, even for routine stuff. If their fur gets wet then they're fucked. A bunny or rats would be better.
>>
>>2913097
>A bunny or rats would be better
I had been considering bunnies, but the act of bunnyproofing everything didn't appeal to me in the end.
>>
>>2913131
Not only will you have to do that for a chinchilla but you'll also need to have constant temperature control so it doesn't die of heatstroke
>>
>>2913056
>Gets wet
>Fucking dies
>>
Have 2 chinchilla, your experience with them largely depends on their temperament, one is skittish and hates people, the other the opposite for the most part, soft and cute, find the right one
>>
>>2913251
What chinchilla-proofing entails? Can I let them run freely but supervised or do I need to make a caged pen for them like rabbits? I don't have a separate room for them unfortunately.
>>
As long as you can keep them cold year round.
>>
>>2913131
Guinea pigs.
They are noisy but ultra friendly
>>
>>2913056
I was just searching about this and I found this : http://dapalan.com/DAG1 : it is some info about how to take care of a chinchilla and things like for how long they live.
>>
>>2913812
The same exact things rabbit-proofing entails. They chew shit. You can supervise and make sure they don’t nibble the corners of your walls or anything dangerous, but rabbits can free roam under those same conditions.
>>
>>2913056
do not unless you like a fine, powdery, vacuum-filter clogging coating of dust over everything you own.

had one for a couple years, adorable but ended up returning it to the breeder because I couldn't handle the dust anymore.
>>
Is it ethical to keep a kangaroo as a pet. No gonna, just curious.
>>
File: IMG_0276.jpg (109 KB, 709x550)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>2913097
>If their fur gets wet then they're fucked.
Explain.
>>
>>2913056
Don't know what state you live in but a hedgehog is a pretty nice pet to have if you're a busy person or not. They are low maintenance since they are nocturnal and don't need big cage, maybe like a Guinea pig cage. The only problem is wobbly hedgehog syndrome which is a genetic disorder that causes paralysis if they are inbred. So try to find a good breeder to insure your hedgehog isn't bred with its family
>>
>>2913965
I'n in Europe, hedgehogs are allowed.

How big a cage would 1-2 chinchillas need? Of course they can freeroam when I'm at home.
>>
>>2913973
Ferret Nation/Critter Nation double or bigger.
They use a lot of space.
They really are adorable and fun, if you can afford their care and sleep through their 2 AM rampages. And don't mind the entirety of your home being coated in a thin layer of volcanic dust forever.
Seriously, the dust bathing thing is the worst. Aside from that they're not too bad as exotics go.
>>
>>2913962
It is too dense to dry out, and they end up getting moldy.
>>
>>2914005
Thanks for the reply. Do you think one chinchilla would get lonely fast?

I don't mind dust and would just clean more often. Would buy a air purifier anyway for any pet I'd end up getting.
>>
>>2914011
It's true, but if it's a pet you can just, you know, dry it off.
In bad situations or accidents that cause cleaning to be needed, you can safely bathe a chinchilla. You should never do it unless necessary though, and look up proper instructions for drying them.
for example, if the chinchilla jumps into an unflushed toilet or gets a poisonous chemical on them.
A chinchilla shouldn't be bathed as any part of any routine, only if its health depends on it. But they can get wet and live, they just need their owners' help to dry off quickly and thoroughly.
>>
>>2914018
The air purifier won't cut it. The dust will be everywhere. Your vacuum cleaner's lifespan will be cut to a couple years unless you're religious about changing all its filters. You'll taste it in the air and in all your food.

They do much better as a pair than alone. I had two males. They will fight for dominance occasionally but also play and sleep near each other. They aren't really affectionate pets but they do bond with their keepers. They like occasional petting and generally don't mind being held for a little while.
Their out of cage time needs to be supervised, because they will chew everything. They're the worst pet rodent there is when it comes to chewing shit they shouldn't. There will be no paint left on any wall corners they have access to, the baseboards will get nibbled all over, any wires will be targeted, etc. They basically need a chinchilla-proofed room for out of cage time. At the very least, anything that could cause them harm should be removed, and know that anything even remotely chewable will be chewed. And that's with supervised out of cage time. If the room hasn't been chinproofed, don't even let them out of your sight.

They're a mixed bag, like most exotic pets. They're cute and often pretty friendly, even if they are rarely cuddly. They need a big cage but their food is inexpensive and easy enough (timothy hay and mazuri chinchilla pellets). Their shit is dry and won't stink unless you slack on the cleaning. Vet bills will be expensive. The dust is by far the worst thing about them, other than that and cage size they're really no harder to keep than guinea pigs.
>>
>>2914033
Oh well. If I was ready to clean ferret shit and feed them dead chicks, I will be ready for dust. Do chinchillas need less space than rabbits to roam, being smaller rodents?

Anyhow, I'll have plenty of time to prepare, research and save money before bringing any chinchin home. This will be a multiple year project.
>>
File: chinchilla_1050x550.jpg (134 KB, 1050x550)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>2913056
It may cause you to question your sexuality.
>>
>>2914011
What do they do when it rains?
>>
>>2914466
it doesn't rain where they live
>>
Seriously consider gerbils, they are the perfect rodent pet. No smell, not afraid of your hands, very soft, not nocturnal etc.
>>
>>2914467
Where does water come from?
>>
>>2913056
Was Totoro based on this animal?

He was jumpy/flighty and had to use an umbrella to protecc from rain
>>
>>2914658
Wouldn't be surprised.
>>
>>2914641
Their food. Burning carbs creates CO2 and water. They also have kidneys with extra long loops of Henle, which allows them to concentrate their urine.
>>
File: 1541936079999.gif (41 KB, 471x445)
41 KB
41 KB GIF
>>2914083
Reading this thread made me to read up on chinchillas and I think worst thing you have to prepare for is temperature control. Chinchilla has no sweat pores and comfortable range of temperatures for them is between 16-21 celsius. Kinda lower than comfortable for humans and you better get ready for being cold in your own house.

Also, theyre really easily stressed. To the point of stress convulsions when seeing other chinchilla being fed first. Better read up upon that, my friend. I hope. you do not intend to ignore delicate mind of your animal.

I keep degus for years already, theyre closely related to chinchilla. I love them and do everything I can for them to be happy. However, sometimes I hate them, sometimes I am dissapointed they do not react to me as I would want to, sometimes I just regret my choice. Keeping such pets is not easy and you better think this through.

If you hurt your animal because you did not prepare and wanted it only because its pretty, I will find you and hurt you.
>>
>>2913959
It's etical to keep whatever as a pet as long as it wasn't caught in the wild, grew up in good conditions and you can provide an environment that doesn't cause physical or mental harm and keeps the pet happy and healthy.
>>
>>2914083
Chins need just as much room as rabbits and are possibly more verticle depending on their personality. They're also really good at escaping and hiding in tiny holes.
>>
>>2913056
Thread theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ85odYhcug
>>
>>2913056
Like >>2913097 >>2913823 said, bunnies would be way better than chinchillas. I find that chinchillas don't get very cuddly or bond too much, they are about on par with most other rodents and small pets, but bunnies can be really great pets.
Chinchilla is a large cage or completely enclosed pen type animal. With bunnies, just make sure all the cords are off the floor and rub a little apple bitters on the edges of your wood furniture, and you can let bun free roam even unsupervised for short periods. Furthermore bunny poop doesn't smell or make a mess and bunnies are just as soft as chinchillas.
>>
>>2913056
>hedgehogs.
They're relatively easy, my little sister has 7 because one of the hogs the breeder gave her was unknowingly pregnant.
All 5 hoglets survived to adulthood, they live in separate flip totes in her room with a small space heater nearby.
>they need to be kept warm, room can't drop below 70 degrees farrenheit, 75+ is optimal
>our hogs aren't aggressive to each other but poke each other on accident so they have to be kept in separate quarters and group play time must be supervised
>raising hogs is difficult and risky, stick to adult hogs
They love to run in wheels and 1 of them is almost completely unafraid of humans. They like quiet places and burrowing, make sure they have lots of things to hide in and play with.
>>
Why would anyone want a shitty chinchilla/hedgehog/whatever when you can get a pet rat that's much cheaper, easier to care for, more hardy, more intelligent and more social?
>>
>>2915694
Not Op but pet rats are banned where I live.
>>
>>2915694
Chinchillas live for up to 20 years. Rats hit 2 and drop dead.
>>
>>2915694
Rats are very smelly and much more destructive.
>>
Chinchillas are better pets than bunnies but they NEED to have another chin with them or they have behavioral issues.
>>
File: 1506579329524.gif (897 KB, 800x430)
897 KB
897 KB GIF
>>2915694
Where did rat intelligence meme came from? Mine was stupid like a bag of nails, unsocial and agressive, no matter how long I tried to tame it.
From running labyrinths? Ive seen videos on youtube of a guy which experiments with different kinds of rodent traps in his barn and sets motion cameras, once he made a labyrinth and a shrew totally beat everything else every time, she was fucking crazy, nothing could stop her. Rat has not even found a way inside.

Also they smell. And they really do not learn anything spectacular, they just arent afraid of you.

My degu learned to open its cage in two weeks and waited with its escape attempt untill the night. By now she is 7 years old and jumping or climbing gives her trouble, so she just stares at me until I giver her a lift with my hand. She gets on the hand by herself, clearly undestanding what I am trying to do.

How a rat can even compete
>>
>>2915098
So it's ethical to keep dolphins or gorillas as pets of they were captive bred? No. Moron.
>>
>>2918944
You probably fucked something up because I've never met a rat like that and I've had many.
>>
>>2918953
I keep a wild Fisher, I know it may be unethical but I have a doggy door for him to leave at times. He won't ever be able to survive in the wild because he is crippled so he always comes back to my house, at this point he is more of a dog than an outside cat desu.
>>
>>2918944
>rat
>singular
Maybe there's your problem. Or you're just shit at training. They usually have a lot of fun learning all the basic clicker tricks, it might not be spectacular but it's still entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV9z0c1hjnA
>>
>>2919017
Ive had him from zoo shop. He was like that from the beginning and just died two months later, scaring my daughter emotionally. She was really invested in our powerless tries to tame him. No symptoms at all, one moment he was climbing the cage full of energy and half an hour later I found him lying in the corner, already cold. I wanted to get him a friend, I just tried to socialize him first, as he was totally unpredictable and I was afraid he will be attacking his new comrade. And I would be shit father if I allowed a 12 years old girl watch two rats ripping each other apart.

Ive had degus already and just the fact my degu lives for 7 years already is a proof I knew what i am doing. I do not treat animals as toys and always read up everything I can on them.

Yes, I know he was probably very inbred and shitty handled at the shop. My point is, he looked perfectly healthy (and wasnt always agressive; just enough to warrant being very careful, as he often attacked suddenly and without reason) and you have no way to dodge something like that.

So advocating rats for everybody is easy way to making some little girl cry her eyes out, not understanding why Mr Cuddles was not nice to her and suddenly died somehow. Such emotional scaring is great way to make a shitty, cold animal owner out of the kid in the future.
>>
One of my friends had one. Little fucker learned how to open the cage door
>>
Get only the most exotic pet, OP.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.