[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: bird.jpg (109 KB, 1200x800)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Making a formal general edition. Feel free to share and discuss anything bird related here, whether it be about pet birds or wild birds.

It is very effective to tame and train pet birds using clicker training:
https://hari.ca/avian-care/behavior-training/clicker-training-parrot-modify-behavior/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z-yiDIjn2s

Feed your pet birds a varied diet, not just on seed mix, or else their lifespan may be cut short.

>DIY bird cages
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/buildingacage.html

>Bird ID
https://www.allaboutbirds.org

>Bird Discord
https://discord.gg/Nn8zpGZ

>Old Thread
>>2867315
>>
File: Cardinal_DSC2724.jpg (210 KB, 1043x1200)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
Cardinals are cool.
>>
How to feed bird effectively?
>>
How's your life list doing?

I just got up to #215 this week.
>>
File: windscreen wiper.webm (1.88 MB, 720x404)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB WEBM
>>
>>2895327
499 life list and 488 for the year.
>>
>>2895336
Hardcore. Right on.
>>
>>2895350
Birding in 3 countries (one country was only for a few hours on a layover) and 7 states this year. Still some hope to hit 500 before the end of the year.
>>
Birds are important.
>>
File: 1539054011308.png (371 KB, 519x331)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
>>
File: greaterrhea.jpg (127 KB, 800x534)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
Sup, birbs? I'm going to open a public aviary. No, fuck YOU, I WILL do this. Anyways, what birbs should I get? Nothing over 90 lbs pls. The idea is to demonstrate how birds are dinosaurs.
>>
Bump.
>>
Does anyone have a budgie that likes being pet?
>>
>>2895350
Should add, 51 new life species this month. AZ business trip that got me one free day for birding in the Tucson area plus mornings and sunset in the Phoenix are.
>>
>>2896048
Birds generally don't like being pet. It's a matter of absolute trust for them to be comfortable with it.
>>
>>2896068
I know a cockatoo that absolutely loves it and will climb trough the entire aviary if someone offers to pet him.
But he also doesn't fly and never really hangs out with his cockatoo companions or the other birds so I guess he might be somewhat autistic or had bad owners
>>
Do you guys winter feed friendly neighbourhood birds and if yes with what?
>>
>>2896078
Yes, and it depends on where you live and what kind of birds you get. I use a variety of thistle, nuts, cheap sead, safflower, and black oil sunflower seed. Of course there are suet blocks.
>>
>>2896048
I wish mine did as they look so soft. One of mine tolerates some chest rubbing and kinda likes it. That is it though.
>>
>>2896078
I used to feed with sunflower seeds. And sometimes even salo.
>>
>>2896073
All cockatoos are autistic. He probably just has a human fetish.
>>
File: hand flex.gif (792 KB, 500x268)
792 KB
792 KB GIF
>>2895213
>>
>>2896068
my gray will come up to me and start bobbing his head really hard until i pet his head
>>
>>2896236
I wish my grey was like that...
>>
>>2896164
>All cockatoos are autistic
But are they autistic in the wild, too? Or is it captivity that turns them autistic?
>>
>>2896268
they're like little people, they're all unique in their own ways.

sometimes mine will even bow. that's his way of telling you to pet him.
>>
>>2896270
Well, in this case it is mine fault, since I ripped couple feathers couple times, when he wanted a scratch.
Worst part is that he still allows everybody else to pet, but not me.

So, yeah, I guess retards shouldn't own parrots.
>>
>>2895395
Just look at these degenerates >>2895416
>>
>>2896269
Yes.
>>
I have a tray style feeder and birds like to sit in it. They seem healthy and fly off if I go outside. Should I get / make them a bird house or something to chill in?
>>
>>2896813
Yes but post pics so we can have sick /birb/ oc.
>>
What are the nicest friendliest birbs
Idk if ducks are exactly the friendliest but snuggling with them is really cool, their flat bills are so cute and they’ll nuzzle you with them if they rly like you
>>
My 3 year old galah is being a cheeky cunt and nipping me a little too hard. Any tips on how to discourage her mischievous behaviour?
>>
>>2897244
>rape
>>
File: 20181218_165339-1.jpg (1.03 MB, 2553x1958)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
Spicy Pete, or Pitter Patter, or Pitter as I call her. I have had birbs my entire life and she's #1 of all time so far.

Her wings are clipped, but she can still get distance, but no height. She doesn't care either way, she walks down the sidewalk no problem. Rides the wild Muscovy ducks in the morning, keeps me company while gardening, follows me around the house like a puppy. If the door closes before she reaches it with her tiny pitterpatters, she'll just scream outside the door until I open it to let her in. Same with the front door. Oh she's like a dog that NEEDS to go outside. She walks right out and in as she pleases.
>>
Just curious op, why did you feel the need to make a discord for a generic bird thread? Why do some people in general try to take 'ownership' of a topic (in this case, birds), make a discord for it, and then act as if I think is an official or formal thing? Does it make people feel important or something because they have nothing else to do?
>>
>>2896068
Birds do generallylike being preened though.

>>2896048
Yes. There are special ways in which you can clicker train a budgie to gain a lot of trust in hands, and then from there you can preen your budgie, just on the head cheeks and under the beak. Other methods of taming are slower. People who claim some birds are IMPOSSIBLE to get to like head scratches or handling just don't know how to bond with birds. You need to be very specific in the interactions with the birds and you need to understand their body language. The average dumbfuck who can't tame their bird just makes the excuse that 'oh my bird just doesn't like hands it is his personality I won't force it'.
>>
>>2897278
Sounds like an excellent idea to get your dick mutilated
>>
>>2897686
It's just hard to preen smol birds without accidentally doing something to make them uncomfortable.
>>
I've got a weird question. I'm kind of a brainlet when it comes to bird ownership. I have no interest in owning a pet bird, but I was wondering how birds can live a fulfilling life in a cage. This isn't some bullshit philosophical question, but rather how birds can literally exist just being in a cage without becoming extremely lethargic/unhealthy.

Domesticated cats and dogs still have the ability in most cases to run around the house. Pet birds do what exactly? I'm a legit brainlet when it comes to this
>>
>>2897855
Don't keep your bird in a cage all the time.
My cockatoo is out of the cage as much as she can and just playing on top of it (or somewhere else) or chilling out near me.
A bird that's constantly in a cage (or worse, a cage that is too small) will indeed not be a happy bird.
Sadly lots of bird owners are retarded and don't actually care about the well-being of their birds and do keep them in a cage all day. Don't get a fucking bird if you don't intend to give it assloads of attention. Although it does kind of depend on the species. Small birds might be okay if kept in a sufficiently large cage and have some companionship, but to me that also doesn't sound like they can have a fulfilling life.
>>
>>2897855
They can't. Most bird owners are just abusive retards.
>>
What's a cute, gentle bird that's relatively easy to take care of?
>>
>>2897918
Pigeon
>>
>>2897881
Are you the person with the galah cockatoo?
>>2897900
This. It's not as if most dog and cat owners are any better
>>
>>2897935
Yeah I have a galah
>>
>>2897685
Nobody cares about discord links.

>>2897900
Seconded.
>>
>>2897855
>but I was wondering how birds can live a fulfilling life in a cage. This isn't some bullshit philosophical question, but rather how birds can literally exist just being in a cage without becoming extremely lethargic/unhealthy.
They (some of them) can live in cages for entire life. But it will have some health problems, i.e. weak wings.
Ideally, you should let your bird out of cage, so it can fly.
>Pet birds do what exactly?
Depends on bird, unironically.
My parrot likes to perform tricks in order to get treat especial, walk around house, destroy everything he doesn't like. Also he likes to shit on me.
>>
File: IMG_5481.jpg (18 KB, 320x240)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2897918
Pigeon, canary, cockatiel. Depends on how much you want to cuddle the bird and how long of a commitment you are willing to make.

>>2897943
>Nobody cares about discord links.
You are obviously wrong. I am personally most interested in the objectives and intent behind discord shills. It isn't the link itself that people don't like, it is the self-important ownership of 'general threads' that the discord shills act upon. ANY person used to just make general threads whenever they felt like it, but now it feels like a small circle of people are trying to be the 'owners' of such threads by advertising their discords and proclaiming that their threads are the official™ ones. This sort of attitude is cancerous.
>>
>>2898048
It's just tripfaggotry by another method. Narcissistic fucks will always try to pull crap like that.
>>
Why are birdfags always either
>overly autistic friendless idiots who will die single and alone
Or
>elderly married white women with two to zero children
Like, there's no in-between, it's always these kinds of people who like and/or own birds.
>>
>>2898703
>>overly autistic friendless idiots who will die single and alone
why you comin at me like that man
>>
File: 35461658468496.jpg (35 KB, 533x297)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>2897918
tamed finch like zebra or java
>>
>>2898703
Maybe because real birfags (not bird-abusers) are generally quite nice well-educated white people?
They don't have 9000 children, since it is a waste of money. They aren't into 'you should have 9000 friends to be successful' meme.
Since bird live long in general, they become 'elderly married white wo(men) with no more than 2 children"...
>>
File: ((sneak)).jpg (73 KB, 750x1334)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2898703
>>overly autistic friendless idiots who will die single and alone
with my bird gf i'll never be alone
... ;-;
>>
>>2898703
Fuck you, I'm a productive person with a few close friends and a good family, and I just happen to really like birds. Granted, I don't own any (except a few chickens, bless their retarded hearts), but I will eventually when I feel that I can dedicate a few hours a day to one.

>>2898784
It's okay anon. There is literally nothing wrong with having a bird gf. Maybe some day you'll find a human who will love you like she does.
>>
compared to parrots, how much easier are finches to care for? id really love a parrot of my own but for now and possibly forever i just wont have the time available for one :/ but finches really interest me
>>
>>2896048
Mine did after a few years.
>>2898048
My mom wants a canary, we are going to pick one up in a few weeks. I thought these birds were hard to hand train? I'm still trying to research them. She is also looking at getting a love bird.
>>
>>2898703

Its more a case that people who buy them usually have a lot of time to spend with them. Those two groups are really just the most noticeable.
>>
>>2899592
Keeping finches is like keeping fish you can actually touch. They're super easy but also incredibly retarded.
>>
This is my son’s school picture, please say something nice, he has mild autism and low self-esteem
>>
>>2897881
This. My bird has his door open unless someone is cooking/door is open/go the fuck to sleep (open floor plan house) and will freely travel around. He expects daily toy time with my dad and is very suspicious of others touching his toys.
>>
Anyone that can help me out? My cockatiel has a pretty dirty vent, but otherwise he acts pretty normally ie eating normally, poop is normal, behaviour is normal. Not sure whats going on but was planning on brining him to the vet soon.
>>
>>2900022
How dirty? Are there chunks hanging on? Does it smell infected?
>>
>>2900030
A few chunks on the outer feathers, but no noticeable smell yet
>>
>>2900045
If the stool is normal it's probably fine then. It happens. You can scratch around there to free up the dingle berries but they should fall off on their own.
>>
File: flight club.jpg (67 KB, 970x582)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2899611
canaries are more difficult to hand tame compared to birds like cockatiels or budgies, but it can be done if you do everything right and know exactly what to do.

>>2899654
I give my loaches pets sometimes. They are friendly fish. Some of my other fish enjoy nibbling on my hands.
>>
>>
>>2897881
This.
And just as important to keep the bird happy:
Don't keep it without a second one of its species.
>>
File: 1538811759653.jpg (13 KB, 550x171)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>2900651
>>
I have installed a split ductless heat pump/aircon. Are they dangerous for birds?
There is no open fire, red hot metals, just cool or hot radiator with a fan. So I guess no, right?
>>
>>2900712
Good job answering your own question. It wouldn't be any more dangerous than any other hvac method, which is to say it's not dangerous at all.
>>
>>2900725
Ok. I'm just from thirdworld shithole, where residential air conditioning is a rare thing.
But what about 'freon' leaking? In my setup all connections are done outside, and unit is new, but there is still a chance that evaporator might leak after some time (hopefully never).
Btw, how sensitive birds are to gases? I know they are sensitive to Teflon and canaries were used to detect CO and methane... But what about some minor leak of natural gas (methane with some smelly thing)?
>>
>>2900749
And yeah, freon leaks are theoretically much worse, since it doesn't have any smell.
>>
>>2900749
If it's a new unit it's not using Freon, but the replacements can still be dangerous. Mostly just because they can displace oxygen in a room if the leak is quick. Slow leaks aren't a problem though.
Birds have a sensitive respiratory system but worrying about refrigerant leaks should be at the bottom of your list for potential risks to their health.
>>
>>2898703
>elderly white women

That's cat ladies anon. In my experience most bird people are elderly white guys, retirees with nothing but endless time on their hands and $15,000 to blow on cameras and optics
>>
My birds love "mac and cheese".
>>
>>2900658
nah i want to get a different bird as a companion for my first bird because getting different species is more fun for me, more than one of the same species is boring normie shit lol
>>
>>2901812
>""
What is it really you deprived bastard?
>>
File: DnN4mM3UYAA2xVf.jpg (21 KB, 463x459)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>
File: pow.png (262 KB, 377x555)
262 KB
262 KB PNG
>>
File: 1542182463100.jpg (151 KB, 1024x768)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
we don't deserve them
>>
>>
>>
File: 20181207_181713.jpg (3.95 MB, 4160x3120)
3.95 MB
3.95 MB JPG
>>2901926
It's vegan.... I'm not veg but they love eating my food so much that I was getting worried they might eat something bad for them. I took up a bit of veg cooking just for them so they can eat with me and I don't have to feel bad about it. They still get people food nonveg treats, but they eat almost every meal with me, so....

Also I grew almost all the veggies myself, so.... I sound like a twat, I know, but I care about these little bastards so much.

Here's Pitter on the hawk scale perch. She's a little lean, but still in healthy range.
>>
File: 20181218_165130.jpg (3.93 MB, 4160x3120)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB JPG
Here she is helping me garden.
>>
Looking out the kitchen window this morning toward my neighbor's feeder and there's a shitload of medium-small birds bustling around on ground. I think to myself "those almost look like...naw it couldn't be..." Get out the binocs and it was. A small flock of Evening Grosbeaks
I haven't seen a flock of them in 20 years or more. Used to get them all the time then they disappeared. Hopefully they're making a comeback.
>>
File: thiccbeak.jpg (41 KB, 580x376)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>2902441
grosbeaks are based
>>
File: DSC_0762.jpg (1.21 MB, 2000x1328)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>2902253
I know. Such beauty. The screaming. The pooping. The dust. The eyelashes.
>>
>>2902483
>The screaming
Are cockatiels loud?
I have CAG (well, at this point parents have him), and he isn't loud or something
>>
File: yells.png (38 KB, 259x194)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>2902499
They can be noisy, but not at loud as most other parrots. Mine just go SCREE SCREEE SCREE occasionally, especially early in the morning at in the evening. You can get an idea of the kind of sound they make here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX-dqhCUOcs

Of course they can also learn to make other noises.
>>
I want to get a bird, and I'm living in an appartment. I'm willing to keep him out of his cage while I'm home. what type of bird would you suggest me?

P.S. something that is not too fucking loud so I wont have problem with the neighbours
>>
>>2902558
Why do you want to get a bird out of all possible quiet apartment pets? What lifespan of animal are you willing to commit to? How old are you and do you have a stable job?
>>
>>2902512
>They can be noisy, but not at loud as most other parrots.
Looks like they're indeed quite quiet.

What is the loudest parrot? Cockatoo?
>>
>>2902642
Yes, cockatoos are certainly the top of the list.
>>
>>2902647
But what about macaws?
>>
Has anyone else been watching the Eagle Nest cams? The eaglets are cute birbs.
>>
I only now realized how birds do fly.
If you blow on wing from above (same as up stroke) feathers will move and allow air to pass.
If you blow from below - feathers won't move, thus there will be positive pressure, which will lift.
>>
>>2902657
There's that, and wing angle during up and down stroke. A lot goes into a flap.
Birds are beautifully complex.
>>
>>2902664
Also their feathers are asymmetrical.
I'll make a GIF tomorrow probably, since it is pretty cool.
>>
File: 1516197674327.jpg (229 KB, 2048x1362)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>
>>2895213

https://youtu.be/UKEPkDvfyz0

birds
>>
>>2902752
post more fluffbois
>>
File: 20181219_213613-1.jpg (905 KB, 2217x2256)
905 KB
905 KB JPG
Comfy girl.
>>
>>2903095
That pic has an aura of warmth
>>
File: 20181214_120056.jpg (1.5 MB, 3264x2448)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
Who
>chicken
>>
>>2903339
Me! Chickens are wonderful, curious, friendly creatures.
>>
File: 20181120_130317.jpg (1.34 MB, 3264x2448)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>2903376
Very nice my friend
>>
Love my cockatiel but literally can't sit in my office and work with him in his cage as he just contantly flock calls to be let out so he can sit on me, or the keyboard.

It's very cute but it gets in the way of me doing work, especially talking on the phone, what do? I think he's quite needy since he was hand reared.
>>
>>2903758
Try feeding him some snacks when you're on the phone. Can't yell if his beak is stuffed.
>>
>>
>>2895597
>Nothing over 90 lbs
why?
>>
>>2903921
Yeah it makes little sense. Pretty much all individuals in aves weight less than 90lbs, the exception being some rattites.
>>
File: bird-with-arms6.gif (1.38 MB, 500x281)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB GIF
>>2903758
>hand reared.
What a shame of a practice. Raising birds to be confused all for people to have an easier time training them. This only benefits the lazy unskilled human who cannot put in the effort to train their birds.
>>
>>2902558
>I want to get a bird
*birds

>>2903758
Get him a bird bro and let's hope the wanted mental retardation is still reversable.
>>
>>
>>2904559
>shadman
>>
My wife and I have rabbits currently, and sometime in the next decade when they pass away I wanted to get a budgie or two. Are there any good resources as far as what to feed them and how to house and socialize them?
>>
>>2905067
Feed them mainly with pellets like harrisons or roudybush. There may be other good brands that i dont know of. Feed seed mix as a daily treat or for use in training and taming. If there is always seed in the cage, the birds may feel no need to deal with a human who is offering them seed.

Housing: a big cage.

Socializing: work at their pace. Clicker training is very good. Just web search clicker training parrots. Do not overstep boundaries and grab them when they are scared, or force them to step onto your hand by pushing on their breast. Make deals with them. "if you are calm, i will leave you alone." or "if you get onto my hand, i will give you seed'. There are many good resources and many shit ones. I don't know of any specific good ones, i get my info from a few places and also from buying books and digital information. I like birdtricks and parrotwizard, but a lot of people also hate them because they also hate capitalism. If people hate bird tricks and parrotwizard, please provide a better source for being able to purchase a condensed source of relatively accurate information.
>>
Is it okay if my canary smells perfumes and such?
>>
>>2905547
Yes, but dont risk.
Canaries are extremely weak.
>>
>>2905583
Got it. Thank you very much
>>
File: IMG_8351.jpg (787 KB, 2000x1500)
787 KB
787 KB JPG
Pacific Northwest Birbs (kinglets)
>>
File: IMG_8706.jpg (979 KB, 2000x1500)
979 KB
979 KB JPG
>>2905940

camera can barely focus in the dark december forest
>>
>>2905079
I wish my birds would eat pellets. They refuse to the point where they wouldn't eat for 2 days. I caved. They wouldnt even touch them and I tried with all sorts of brands. I just try to get them the best seed mix I can with lots of different seeds to eat and feed them as much lettuce as they will take. They haven't moved onto the other vegis I try to get them to eat yet.
>>
>>2905973
Did you try to mix them in?
You can't just cold turkey a bird off of seed, you have to use a slowly adjusting (Over weeks) ratio of seed:pellet until there's barely any seed left.
>>
>>2905973
>>2906028
Why you want feed them pellets?
I think giving seeds and fresh stuff is much better, since you at least know, what is it.
>>
>>2906028
I did. They just ate the seeds and kicked out the bowl when they couldn't find anymore. The cold turkey thing was last resort. I also tried "sharing" the pellets, where I would 'eat' one then offer one to the bird. That trick worked once and then it started flicking the pellets to the floor.

>>2906042
I don't want them to just live off of fatty seeds. I am trying to vary their diet but one of them won't eat the food unless he sees me eat it a ton and even then he won't sometimes. I can't fake eat it either since he wants to see me chew it up which is gross.
>>
>>2906044
>I don't want them to just live off of fatty seeds
Give fresh veg and fruits, boiled eggs... chicken time to time.
> am trying to vary their diet but one of them won't eat the food unless he sees me eat it a ton and even then he won't sometimes. I can't fake eat it either since he wants to see me chew it up which is gross.
Based bird.
Why would you even feed bird stuff you won't eat? Good thing about birds that you can actually eat their food, especially cannabis seeds.
>>
What are the friendliest finch species? I want to build an outdoor aviary and have several birds, preferably of different species (mostly females since I’m not interested in breeding). I don’t want a companion bird, but I’d like if the birds at least flew down and took food from hands. I considered zebra finches but I read they can be aggressive to other bird species.
>>
>>2906052
I do it it, I just can't eat like 50 bananas everyday or until he is satisfied. Eating leaf after leaf of spring mix lettuce you hate or raw brussel sprouts and shit is rough man. He decides when he wants to try it as well. It took him months to try regular lettuce.
>>
>>2905973
My galah used to get seed mix and when I wanted her to switch to pellets she was a bit wary of them at first. Since she always wants to steal my food I figured I would just eat one myself in front of her and she just copied me. Made the switch cold turkey without any problems and now she happily chomps away on her pellets.
Probably need a certain level of trust for that though.
>>
File: 453453453.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
Any cockatiel owners here? i'm a little worried about mine, for some days its been doing a 'pree' short sound as well as its tipycal 'wee' sound for a lack of better words, also sometimes it whistles from its nose from breathing out (one breath not continiously). i shower with it once every 2 weeks or so to wash up the dust and i fear it might been bad for it...should i be worried?
>>
>>2906374
Don't know but showering in itself is great for birds
>>
>>2906374
>>2906487
i kinda want to take my bird into the shower with me but he's terrified of literally everything

he's especially terrified of water which makes bathing him a pain in the ass
>>
>>2906374
>>2906499
i get mine in by making it stand on the shower's curtain rail, after i'm done i turn way down the flow and just stand there under the water, eventually it comes to my shoulder and i sort of make the water splat over my other hand so it wold stand beneath, just in case it helps
>>
I found a fucking budgie while on a walk with my dog this morning. First bird ID of the year, I guess.
>>
File: DSC_0059.jpg (626 KB, 1600x1104)
626 KB
626 KB JPG
>>2906499
I think exposure to water from a young age is important. One of my cockatiels does not like water, and that could be because i did not spray him with water when he was young. My other two cockatiels love water and poof up when i spray them. it could help a water-shy bird to expose them to other birds that are not water shy so they can learn from other birds.

Pic related my tiels
>>
File: DSC_0063.jpg (544 KB, 1500x996)
544 KB
544 KB JPG
Comfy sprinklings on a hot day.
>>
>>2907442
Dat ass tho.
>>
>>2907442
One of my parakeets will only take a bath in my hands. He hates being sprayed.
>>
>2018 ends
>still haven't seen a sharp-shinned hawk

2.5 years now. I'm starting to think they don't exist.
>>
I'm jealous of them being so perfect from an evolutionary standpoint. Why did they never build civilizations? Why did they never enter the stone age? Was doing so a mistake? Did they have it right all along by staying in the trees?
>>
>>2907976
Howdy
>>
>>2907976
Howdy
>>
>>2907976
Howdy
>>
>>2907976
Howdy
>>
File: 1538921949419.jpg (39 KB, 464x348)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2907976
Howdy
>>
Is there a way for birds and dogs to be friends? My dog is friendly toward all animals (he has cat and rabbit friends that he will snuggle and gently play with) but the parakeet obviously is more fragile. I won't do anything to stress the bird unnecessarily- I was just wondering if it would ever be a possibility.
>>
>>2908503
It's not a good idea to leave any animals who can easily kill each other unattended. You can closely supervise interaction, but never ever take your eye away from them.
>>
File: piebald RTH.jpg (39 KB, 640x448)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2895213
Reviving this thread with no survivors
>>
File: 1546572612812.jpg (191 KB, 1200x1089)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>
File: 1546292115940.jpg (78 KB, 750x1000)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>2907976
Howdy
>>
Posting a picture of my birds because I can and for once they are getting along.
>>
File: 20190104_172254.jpg (3.69 MB, 4032x3024)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
>>2910184
I forgot the picture.
>>
File: phainopepla.jpg (430 KB, 1131x1306)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
If you have any wild bird pics I made a thread here >>2907691

>>2908185
>>2907976
Howdy
>>
>>2907976
Howdy
>>
File: winter.jpg (65 KB, 722x1280)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
birb loves heat
>>
File: 20190105_221611.jpg (379 KB, 767x1022)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>>2907976
Howdy
>>
File: 1546843262465[1].jpg (99 KB, 550x734)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>
>>2910187
I like how i can recognize the brand and type of some of those toys.
>>
>>2897556
she's a cute beeper <3
>>
File: he watch.jpg (47 KB, 700x700)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2909894
i love chicken thoughts! cute little googly eyes :D
>>
>>2912042
They like them all. The little fuckers are spoiled rotten.
>>
you'll hate me for this, but can you recommend a bird species that is "not loud"? as most birds it should sleep at night, in the daytime it should not make noise 24/7 and if it does, it should not be louder than a normal conversation. all other factors are not really important to me. the cage can be around 2 cubic metres, i hope that's big enough for birds.
>>
>>2912342
Parakeets finches or doves maybe? I hear a lot of good things about doves, parakeets never shut the fuck up but they aren't loud.
>>
>>2912342
If you don't like noises - don't get birds.
That said, I'd say that budgies are not that loud. Canaries are not too loud. Doves/pigeons...
>>2912344
Some parakeets (i.e. lovebirds) are loud af. I even think they were louder than african grey.
>>
>>2912347
yeah, makes sense. i don't mind the noise, i have crickets and gerbils making noise at night, but i'm worried about the neighbors.
>>2912344
think i'll look into finches, they don't look like the generic pet bird. i guess they're not as "interactive" as other birds though.
>>
>>2912356
>yeah, makes sense. i don't mind the noise, i have crickets and gerbils making noise at night, but i'm worried about the neighbors.
Commie-block?
Typical bird isn't much louder, than tiny dog... I mean, it is possible to hear through walls, but it is not anything as annoying as barking of a dog.
>>
>>2912356
Then don't get those parakeets? It isnt like it is hard not to. If you are so concerned with standing out with your pet get an exotic dove.
>>
>>2912360
right now i have no one to worry about, but i will have to move within the next 2 years and then the noise could be an issue. i don't know about other countries but here in germany, nobody is suprised when your grandpa neighbour calls the police because you sneezed too loud at 22:01. that said, you're probably right, most birds wouldn't be that loud at all. I'll think about it a bit more and then do further research.
>>
>>2912342
Seriously consider a pigeon (also called doves). They make cute cooing noises exclusively, and they're absurdly cuddly comfy birds. Finches are better if you want a bird that's more like a cat than a dog. They're less interactive and lovey, and they cheep a lot, but the cheeps are tiny and you can pay less attention to them without them getting upset.

>>2912366
>nobody is suprised when your grandpa neighbour calls the police because you sneezed too loud at 22:01.
That's exactly what I'd expect from Germans, but it still sounds shitty.
>>
>>2912372
i legit always thought all pigeons are the same. i've kept all kinds of animals, mammals, herps, inverts, fish, but i was never interested in birds, so i'm just getting into this. but those colorful ones do look really nice. either way i have much research to do before i can decide, kind of stupid of me to just ask for recommendations.
>>
>>2912366
Is it legal to make noises during the day?
During night time you can cover the cage with dark blanket or fabric, and they will shut up. Also this blanket will act like sound dampening.
I think you will be fine even in apartment, unless you get bird like cockatoo.

Also I heard that in Germany it is illegal to have single bird... Or in Austria, don't quite remember.
>>
>>2912377
Until 22:00 you can be as loud as you want.
I don't know about bird laws here, but it's probably the case in Austria, same thing applies for guinea pigs there, and probably many other pets too. I think here it's not illegal. But 2/3 birds is fine by me.
>>
>>2907976
Howdy
>>
>>2912377
I baby sat a bird that even with the cover woke up at 4 am every morning making noise
>>
>>2913548
It means that more decent cover is required.
>>
Goddamn why are they so crazy for millet.
Can't keep her out of the millet bag for the life of me.
>>
File: IMG-20181229-WA0003.jpg (160 KB, 1200x1600)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>2896270
My friend has a parrot that does that too. She even does it with people she doesn't know all too well. She's old though and doesn't really have a companion so maybe she's just lonely. Pic related, it's her.
>>
>>2912342
Budgies make constant happy chirping noises, they aren't that loud but can get annoying so I wouldn't recommend it for single room apartments if you don't know what you'll getting. But if your flat has normal walls, your neighbours won't hear a thing.
Source: My direct neighbours had 4.

If you get rescue birds they'll usually take them back if the neighbours do give your shit or you don't like them.
>>
>>2907976
Howdy

What do you mean by "perfect from an evolutionary standpoint"? I'm interested in that. Didn't know they were such efficient creatures.
>>
I've got two budgies that don't really seem to ever touch their toys or play with each other, they're in a relatively quiet area so I'm wondering if they'd be a bit more lively if I left a radio on in the room or something. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2913868
She just flat out looks like a total sweetie.

>>2913943
Not him but the avian respiratory system just completely BTFOs everything else in every category except durability in toxic atmosphere, and their renal system similarly is absurdly efficient (wastes way less water). The average bird's vision and ability to vocalize is way higher than the average mammal, and then there's the bit where most of them can fly. With how clever crows and ravens are, we're rather lucky (or unlucky, it would be cool as shit to have another sapient species around) that they didn't go full min/max into intelligence a couple million years ago like we did.
>>
>>2914146
Is that why they live so long even though they're quite small and move around a lot? I guess parrots are overall the most efficient birds around if that's the case. It's a shame pretty much every single animal out there is a predator for birds or they would conquer the world.
>>
>>2896048
Yeah, with my closed fist at a high velocity
>>
>>2914055
Punch daily
>>
>>2914055
Jiggle the toys in front of them, my conure goes full autist when something moves
>>
>>2914146
>With how clever crows and ravens are, we're rather lucky (or unlucky, it would be cool as shit to have another sapient species around) that they didn't go full min/max into intelligence a couple million years ago like we did.
Big hed is too much weight to carry while flying.
>>
>>2916368
Many birds of prey can take off carrying 5lbs. A big corvid carrying some extra brain wouldn't be severely impaired, as flight adaptation would follow the weight increase. Actually, they'd really need an extra couple of digits to make truly complex tools, so their wings would probably end up with a bit of claw back on the end like ancient theropods had. If that happened, they'd definitely end up only being able to glide and power very quick true flight. But as we've proven, a big brain trumps basically everything else.
>>
File: Modern Dino.jpg (117 KB, 700x525)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>
>>2914055
When did you get them? Maybe they are still a little shy.
Or they think your toys are boring. Try some of these things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPET9WZx1Mg
https://youtu.be/pkS6gGNXJDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Nl4AE6twg
More budgies are also almost always a good idea.
>>
>>2916368
>what is a sun conure
>what is a black palm cockatoo
>what is a kookaburra
Corvids have relatively small heads in the bird world.
>>
Bought my canary a swing today but so far he hasn't used it, what do
>>
>>2917316
Wait.
>>
>>2917339
Alright. Thanks
>>
What's a good bird to start with?
>>
>>2918104
Depends, what do you want the bird for?
>>
File: IMG_20190114_181342_876.jpg (252 KB, 1280x720)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
Look at this cheeky jackdaw
>>
is there much i can do if my cockatiel hates new toys? like she is terrified of anything new i put in her cage, but it feels so empty with only a couple of things to play with in there. I tried introducing them by leaving them near her cage for her to get used to, but still as soon as its in her cage she wont go in.
>>
>>2899611
depends on what she's looking for. If you want to spend alot of attention on it, a canary might not be a good choice. They're hard to tame and they're not too smart, they're more of a bird you keep in a cage to sing. Lovebirds on the other hand are all out for attention. If you've got the time, a lovebird is worth it, else just get a canary.
>>
>>2918227
try something more natural in her cage? like wooden sticks for her to chew on?
combine toys with snacks maybe
or switch up the interior of the cage (change up the layout of the walkways) and add one toy with snacks
perhaps make her fully get used to it first outside the cage and then hang it on the outside
>>
I saw a video where the dude had a bowl of lukewarm water for his canary to bathe in, should I do the same for mine? Should I put it in his cage? Should I keep it on a permanent basis and change the water every now and then?
>>
>>2918394
Most birds like to take a bath once in a while, but in my experience, it's not every day.
I don't know much about canaries, but my budgies prefer to bathe on/in big wet lettuce leaves, rather than just a bowl. They don't even eat it, they just prefer it as a bathing vector.
>>
>>2918397
Cheers. Thanks a lot
>>
Any falconers in this here thread?
>>
File: tropicalcrow.jpg (99 KB, 530x483)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
reminder that crows are good and smart birbs
>>
>>2918424
Corvids a best
See >>2918222
>>
>>2918227
1. No pressure, let them explore outside of the cage
2. Make sure a friend is near to make her feel secure.
3. Make the place interesting and easy to watch from a little further away
4. Bribe her with snacks you put near or on the toy
And just like >>2918249 said, baths and toys they can eat or gnaw on like fresh branches or straw are well-received.

Showers like this are great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1dYeo5dFXE
>>
>>2918826
Sorry, meant for >>2918227 obviously
>>
>>2918196
To not be lonely
>>
my house is just one big open space so i can't cook when my bird is out

i'm ao hungry
>>
>>2919020
how lonely are you?
lovebirds require alot of care but give alot of love back
budgies are easier and require less time but are still rewarding, less smart though but still alot of fun to play with a tamed one.
>>
File: Blue_Jay_with_Peanut.jpg (2.43 MB, 3180x1866)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
I need some help with a "wild" bird issue.
>2003
>be some group of a-holes
>find newborn baby bird wandering around
>take it in
>feed it until adulthood
>turns out to be a blue jay
>it doesn't want to leave
>keep it until 2019
>decide they're bored of it
>one of the owners dates my sister and gets in contact with me
>basically they're going to release it unless I take it
>it's lived its whole life in captivity and will likely die in the wild(?)
>blue jays are protected by the migratory birds act and are illegal here so they're scared to send it to a shelter
>I have experience with birds and can keep him but would rather not if at all avoidable
What do I do?
Is there somewhere I can take him that could rehabilitate without assuming I got him to this point?
Would he really have little chance in the wild? I sort of assumed birds learned most of what they know from their parents and not genetics but I'm really not sure
I live in Oklahoma for reference.
>>
>>2919112
Take him in, there's basically no way to rehab him back to the wild. If you brought him to a bird rehab place, he'd end up as a permanent resident.
>>
Anyone here have experience cleaning rusty cages?
What paint is safe to use?
>>
>>2919113
Damn. I guess that makes sense considering how old he is. Thanks, I'll make sure he lives well if it really comes to that.
>>
File: bird3.jpg (129 KB, 534x724)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
Bird friend.
>>
My canary doesn't drink water often but he eats a lot, is that normal?
>>
>>2919673
Birds drink very small amounts of water. A couple of sips a day is usually enough.
>>
>>2919691
That's reassuring. Thank you
>>
>>2919092
not him but how are cockatiels for lonely people?
>>
Fed canary a banana and now it has been drinking water excessively, did I fuck up?
>>
>>2919085
Make a healthy salat for all of you.
>>
Will budgies shit on you?

I'm considering the idea of getting a budgie, had an old family friend who had some sort of bird and he would keep it on his shoulder, with long lines of shit running down his shirt, adding to the pile every few minutes. It's ok if there's an occasional accident but if interacting with a bird means CONSTANT getting covered in shit, I'll pass.
>>
>>2920188
Yes, sometimes it happens just when they decided to play with your hair but I don't think a normal bird will sit on your shoulder so long that a pile would build. Also you are allowed to gently shoo them away if you don't like it.
Remember they might shit everywhere they sit so put some old newspaper below playing and perching areas for an easy cleanup.
>>
>>2920188
There are really only two good ways to handle being shit on. 1: have some paper towels with you and wipe it up as it happens. 2: learn the timing and move your bird over a garbage can or toilet or paper towel just before they poop.
Their digestive system moves along at a regular pace. Budgies tend to poop about once every 15 minutes.
>>
How dangerous is cooking with bird?
Can you technically cock with normal pans (cast iron, steel) and proper ventilation?
>>
>>2920201
Non-stick is really bad for birds, but cooking with cast iron is fine.
>>
>>2920200
>15 minutes
That's acceptable imo. I'll keep doing some more research into ownership.
>>
>>2920188
>Will budgies shit on you?
Yes, and not even once.
I don't know about budgies, but with larger birds is is relatively easy to predict, when bird will do the needful, and move it, so line of fire don't cross you.
Also you can train bird to poo on demand in trashcan, or even in the loo.
>had an old family friend who had some sort of bird and he would keep it on his shoulder, with long lines of shit running down his shirt, adding to the pile every few minutes.
Looks like your family friend is a fan of designated shirt method.

Anyway, cleanness of your shirt depends only on you. Can't hold needful for long.
>>
>>2920204
What about open flames in well-vented area?
>>
>>2920231
Should be fine as long as you don't have retard birds who fly close to open flames.
>>
>>2920213
>you can train bird to poo on demand in trashcan, or even in the loo.
is this something even a budgie can be trained to do?
>>
>>2920238
Maybe.
>>
File: mag2.jpg (198 KB, 907x770)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>2919664
Anyone have any idea how old this bird is? About 3 weeks ago I looked after him for a few days after his mother lost him at night. This is him 3 weeks ago.
>>
File: rust.jpg (245 KB, 1440x2560)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
I brought my bird this white thing that apparently has vitamins. Birds should peak through it or something with their beak but I noticed it had some rust as you can see from the pic due to a metallic part in the back of it that gets attached to the cage so I immediately removed the whole thing from the cage. My bird apparently tried some of it. Should I worry about him due to the rust?
>>
>>2920188
Mine shit on me sometimes but it isnt runny like that or anything. They are like soft warm poop pellets that get hard. Super easy to wash off.
>>
>>2920329
That boyo is nearly fledgling status. By this point he's probably ready to go.

>>2920360
If it was just cheap steel, he'll be fine.
>>
>>2920360
I guess they will be fine. I think you can still use limestone I guess.
>ovary enrich for zebra finch birds and lovebirds
>budgies on pic
Well, this thing is dodgy. Where is it made?
>>
File: bird4.jpg (259 KB, 1010x733)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>2920528
>That boyo is nearly fledgling status. By this point he's probably ready to go.
That pic was from 3 weeks ago, hes back with his parents for 2 or 3 weeks now. He lives near my home so I still visit him.
>>
>>2920595
He looks like a good boy.
>>
>>2920201
i don't do it because my dumbass bird flew and landed on the (thankfully cold) stove once
>>
>>2920698
I wounder if bird will perform go around in case it tries to land on something hot... But I don't want to test it.
>>
>>2916406
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPET9WZx1Mg
That's a really great playground.
>>
File: 20190117_081148.jpg (723 KB, 4032x2268)
723 KB
723 KB JPG
I saw a bald eagle today at work, this seemed like a good place to share
>>
>>2920881
My idiot budgie did, but he was a master of aerial acrobatics and could hover like a hummingbird.
My idiot cockatiel (Who has thankfully never tried to land on something hot), on the other hand, would smash right into it, because he's a flying potato that can't even land properly on a good surface, instead needing to run like he's a fucking airplane. I love him, but damn is he stupid.
>>
File: output.webm (576 KB, 640x360)
576 KB
576 KB WEBM
>>2920932
Well, some wild birds do crash landing sometimes...
>100... 10... retard
>>
>>2920932
>like he's a fucking airplane
Some start as helicopters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNkiQxW2mwA
>>
>>2921011
Birds are weird flying objects.
In level flight they act like airplanes (more-less), but they take off in absolutely weird way. Not even a helicopter.
>>
A younh budgie fell into my ownership unexpectedly and I've been trying to bond with him while looking up bird care over the last week. A couple questions:

He doesn't want to eat fresh fruits and veggies. I've tried removing the seed, offering as treat, etc but he just doesn't seem to like what I've offered (apple, grape, carrot, celery). How else can I try to get him to eat his veggies?

I got him a cuttlebone thing but I've never seen him use it. Is that something that I need to teach him to use?

Toys. I got him a few toys, but he doesn't play with them. So far he just likes to run up and down a ladder while doing little chirps when he's excited. Is playing with toys something that they like to do when they're older?
>>
File: cockatiel gf.png (27 KB, 809x636)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>
>>2921034
>How else can I try to get him to eat his veggies?
Mix it with seeds. (worked for me)
Some people say, that eating in front of them might help...
>>
>>2921038
>gf
>*tries to mate with hand*
huh... I guess ur bird is a trap
>>
>>2921034
Try eating the fruits and veggies first and then offering him some. If he won't eat out of your hand, just put it down in his food bowl.
>>
File: 1539097275532.jpg (39 KB, 750x744)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2921046
i've wondered about that, since she's like 6 and i've never seen her lay eggs
but she's a pearl, and pearl males lose the pearling after their first molt while females keep it
should i say something to my vet about it?
>>
>>2921046
Females will sometimes try to fuck your hand too.
>>
>>2921081
Really?
>>
>>2921083
Yeah, but if they're doing it consistently then it's much more likely you've got a male.
>>
>>2921034
They will play with the toys eventually. I have to eat a ton of the vegis and fruits in front of my birds in order to get them to eat them. Just stick with it. Good work taking the poor guy in. Post a picture?
>>
>>2921023
>Birds are weird flying objects.
>In level flight they act like airplanes (more-less), but they take off in absolutely weird way. Not even a helicopter.
I wonder if anyone has tried to teach intelligent birds to use a thrust producing backpack.
>>
Is it alright if I give my canary a bathing bowl now or would it get sick?
>>
File: millet thief.webm (3 MB, 476x640)
3 MB
3 MB WEBM
>goes straight for the millet every time
these goddamn feathered acrobats are a handful
>>
>>2921396
>he doesn't fly to the millets
I think your birb has autism
also why you got that bird anon? why not an African grey or a lovebird or a budgie (tho budgies truly are tye worst birbs)
>>
File: banana.webm (2.82 MB, 200x298)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB WEBM
>>2921400
It's not my bird, but I spend a ton of time with her when I'm at my parents' cause we're best buds.
She can't fly cause her wing feathers are clipped. Doesn't stop her from getting everywhere by climbing though, kek.
Also galahs are awesome. Would take her in myself in a heartbeat. Super fun birds.
>>
>>2921400
Maybe it's stealth mode, no suspicious wupwupwup sounds.
Also what don't you like about that bird?
>>
File: oh fugg.webm (2.54 MB, 640x456)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB WEBM
postan webms
>>
File: paper roll.webm (2.61 MB, 640x360)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB WEBM
>>
File: playing with blanket.webm (2.81 MB, 640x360)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB WEBM
>>
File: paper box.webm (2.83 MB, 320x180)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB WEBM
>>
>>2921400
Parrots generally prefer to climb to things rather than fly, even if it takes more time.
>>
File: antifa birb.webm (2.84 MB, 640x360)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB WEBM
NO! BAD BIRB!
>>
>>2921413
>>2921426
>>2921436
>>2921447
What a cute retard. I want one.
>>
File: upside down.webm (2.84 MB, 360x640)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB WEBM
>>
>>2921340
Anyone?
>>
File: comfy blanket.webm (2.84 MB, 640x360)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB WEBM
>>
>>2921546
Why would they get sick?
>>
>>2921340
Why would they get sick? Did something happen? Just put a little bowl with water somewhere, they'll bathe if they want to.
>>
File: blanket.webm (2.94 MB, 640x360)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
She really loves this fucking blanket.
Shame there's no sound allowed on this board. She's making all kinds of cute noises. Also screams.
>>
>>2921556
Put the cutest ones on >>>/wsg/2613183 and link the back here.
>>
File: tumbling down.webm (2.93 MB, 640x360)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>2921563
I'll see if I can find some
>>
>>2921451
Also I guess. you'd have to be really good at flying as a bigger bird to make that sharp turn and land on that flimsy bag.
>>
>>2921413
why do birds like throwing stuff? mine likes to go on the living room table to throw shit. you have to be really careful with mugs.
>>
>>2921644
Heh, yeah. Whenever I'm drinking tea or coffee mine tries her hardest to steal the spoon and throw it around and then take a sippy. Always gotta watch out for that. They're amazing pets but god damn you can't keep your eyes off them for a second.
>>
>>2921644
For pretty much the same reasons kids like throwing things.
>>
>>2921563
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1547836697361.webm
Here's one where's she's chattering away.
Note that a side effect of having a bird that makes retarded sounds is that you may start making retarded sounds yourself as well.
>>
>>2921661
>that you may start making retarded sounds yourself as well.
True story.
>>
>>2921661
No worries. Catching severe temporary autism from pets is pretty common. I make truly retarded noises when playing with my dog, and around my chickens I mimic their "happy comfy" noises a lot.
>>
>>2921704
do animals like when you copy their noises? birds copy human voices sometimes and i think we find it pretty amusing
>>
>>2921706
Birds are just happy you're making noises with them. They'll be happy whether you're talking or imitating them, as long as you're making noises at them.
>>
>>2921400
I love my budgies. Why do you say they are the worst?
>>
How do you get into falconry?
I doubt you can just get the bird and be good to go.
>>
>>2921704
>Catching severe temporary autism from pets is pretty common
But it is not temporary.
>>2921706
>do animals like when you copy their noises?
My parrot definitely appreciates it.
>>
>>2907976
howdy
>>
>>2921706
my parrot screams at me if i imitate his singing
>>
>>2921733
Maybe ur bad at singing?
>>
nobirdz here

I just now realized "clipped wings" doesn't mean there's some kind of mechanical clip like a paperclip holding the bird's wings and feathers from flying

my aunt has birds and my 24 years on this planet I've thought there were paperclips in her birds wings
>>
>>2895218
I have a bunch that come to my suet feeders. Thankfully I've been getting different species lately but for a long time, it was just Cardinals. I do like them, though. The males look nice with that coloring and the pumpkin colored beaks look great.
>>
>>2919112
16 years? holy shit that's an old bird
>>
>>2921744
I just now realized there are appaerntly places where people actually prevent a bird from flying properly.
Some sort of reversable bird declawing, wth.
>>
>>2921765
For a blue jay, maybe. Some birds can get really old.
>>
>>2921767
It's for their own safety. To prevent them from flying into dangerous things like windows and stovetops, but also to keep them from flying away, which would usually mean certain death since tame birds likely didn't learn to survive in the wild.
Ideally a bird would be free-flight trained, but that's pretty intensive training and you can't do it with all birds. Even then you can't let a bird fly free outside everywhere because of predators and traffic and shit.
When it comes to parrots they need to be out of the cage a lot and to prevent accidents clipped wings are the safest option. Not like it's harmful to them, you only clip the feather partly and it just grows back. Only thing to watch out for is to give them enough exercise to compensate for their lack of flight.
>>
>>2921794
Idk, clipping in my case caused more problems that it solved.
Birds still can fly with clipped wings, but they do it so badly that it can cause accidents.

Best option is just keeping windows closed, training recalls, and keeping eye on bird while it is out of cage
>>
File: 07650010.jpg (817 KB, 1545x1024)
817 KB
817 KB JPG
here are a few film photos of a weird dog i saw walking around at the philly zoo a few years ago
>>
File: 07650012.jpg (945 KB, 1545x1024)
945 KB
945 KB JPG
>>2921799
shouts out to the friends posting bird oc, btw
i enjoy this thread
>>
>>2921797
We clip them just enough so that they can safely land from a height, but not gain enough lift to actually fly away. Seems to work fine.
>>
>>2921802
Dunno. In my case he still was able to produce enough lift to take off, but he was absolute flying like potato.
>>
>>2921810
Is yours used to fly? Maybe then it could be a problem I guess, yeah. Mine has always been clipped and has only ever flown a significant distance once (cause she got startled and had been a while since her last clipping so she took off and flew a whole block of houses away). She basically never even attempts to fly, just walking and climbing. She just uses her wings to jump further. Depends on the bird too I guess.
>>
>>2921810
Did you clip the wings yourself? How many feathers were clipped?
>>
>>2921794
It seems like keeping a dog in a kennel or never go for a walk with him ever because you don't want to buy a leash or train him basic commands.
Secure the room, add some lookouts and toys, do recall training and close the windows.
Not much work and keeps your birds fit, their lungs healthy and gives them a little bit more freedom.

I guess clipping pet birds is illegal over here because I never heard of anyone doing it besides zoos. Never heard of any injuries caused by flying either.
>>
>>2921797
>training recalls
As if the average bird owner even attempts to properly train their birds. Most of them just buy (((HaNdReAReD))) birds because they think they dont need to put any work into taming it then. As if buying handreared is easy mode. Handrearing parrots is just setting them up for being sexually confused and frustrated as they mature. because they think they are human. All because some selfish dimwitted bird owners cant be assed to figure out how to even tame their birds, let alone train them recall or even simple tricks like targeting.
>>
>>2921854
>Never heard of any injuries caused by flying either.
Well, do you constantly engage in communities with bird owners? If not, then you wont hear of it much. Its not like "Bird gets injured by ceiling fan" or "bird flies into window and gets brain damage" will ever make it into mainstream news. It happens all the fucking time. Clipping can also aid in training particularly scared birds, then the birds can regrow the feathers when it is tame and trained.

Where do you live that clipping flight feathers is illegal? Sounds retarded.
>>
>>2921852
I've never done it myself. Technically she's my brother's bird. He does do it himself though, but it's a bit of a tricky procedure. Birds don't exactly like being held down and having their feathers cut off, so I guess it would not be abnormal to have a vet do it.

>>2921854
I don't feel it's really like that, since it actually allows me to take the bird out the cage where she can hop around freely around the room and even play outside. Yeah they can't fly, but they still have legs.
>>
>>2921794
>When it comes to parrots they need to be out of the cage a lot and to prevent accidents clipped wings are the safest option.
But why? Do people expect them to just fly into the next wall like idiots? Of course if they never learned it from the beginning they might take a little longer to be good at it than young birds and need more space to navigate than budgies or canarys but they do pretty good in normal living rooms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o024RbaRnt0
>>
File: tmg-article_tall.jpg (82 KB, 427x568)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>2921850
new thread has been made as this one sinks. Also i fucking hate most large parrot breeders. They dont give a shit about what happens to the wellbeing of the birds (that can live as long as a human being) they sell to shit unprepared owners, they just want to make money and have 'FUN' raising birds. Because making money by doing something fun is more important than the wellbeing of intelligent animals trapped in the pet market.
>>
>>2921859
>I've never done it myself.
So likely he didn't clip enough of the feathers, or did just a partial clip. Doing partial clips can mean the bird can still fly a good distance, but it takes more effort on the birds behalf.
>>
>>2921860
If they properly learned to fly then it's mostly fine, yeah, and if you never take them outside it's the best option probably. But you still don't want to take an unclipped bird outside even if it can fly really well. And even if it has been recall trained it can be dangerous to have them flying around in a lot of areas due to predators.
>>2921864
It's a partial clip, yeah. That time she flew one block (maybe around 50 meters) she was exhausted and slept the rest of the day.
>>
File: budgie-nice-cere-187.jpg (101 KB, 1024x768)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>2921865
>And even if it has been recall trained it can be dangerous to have them flying around in a lot of areas due to predators.
Yep, and birds can decide to just not listen to you. Birds are not loyal like dogs. Even birds that have been extensively trained in recall from a young age can be stubborn and decide to stay in that tree out of your reach for a couple of hours before deciding to listen to you. This is especially common in smaller parrots. The smaller parrots are also more likely to freak out and fly away mindlessly.
>>
>>2921554
Idk because it's a bit cold
>>
>>2921858
Germany, and I only engage by volunteering in a shelter. But I met a breeder that never clipped any of his birds either as fr as I know.

Okay, over here I don't know anyone with a ceiling fan either but can't you just turn those things off?
I heard of some fatalities of them falling off a toy or perch or drowning in narrow glasses or vases. To prevent window accidents people usually use blinds, at least for the first weeks, stickers and don't clean the windows as much.

I guess it sounds just as retarded to you like clipping wings sounds to me. At least outside of special cases, clipping for resocialisation isn't forever. The reason for it is the same that makes it illegal to declaw cats, I think. If someone can't or won't take care of a pet with its most basic behaviour patterns and needs, that person might should just get a different pet.
Also people usually are adviced to motivate their birds to fly a little, not just because pampered pets tend to get a little fat but because that's the only way to properly ventilate bird lungs and thus helps preventing infections.
>>
>>2921873
>The reason for it is the same that makes it illegal to declaw cats, I think
No, declawing is a painful permanent surgical procedure. Clipping wings is a painless nonpermanent act like cutting hair or cutting nails. It grows back. I dont agree with permanently keeping wings clipped (which has to be done regularly as feathers grow back) because flight is a good source of exercise, but there are many individual cases where a bird can be temporarily clipped to fix a temporary problem or for making taming/training less of a drama.

Dont spew nonsense that 'clipping is illegal' because you think it is the same as cat declawing.
>>
>>2921865
>But you still don't want to take an unclipped bird outside even if it can fly really well.
Even if it's clipped I wouldn't do that with smaller ones. Hawks snatching sparrows off our neighbours feeding station like it's a candy store even though it's in the middle of his balcony.
>>
>>2921877
and then you have cats. I take my cockatiel outside sometimes with a harness, and the local cats keep a keen eye on the cockatiel. I take the cockatiel to an area with less cats for playing and exploring, but near my house as i walk to the car there are always cats ready to pounce. There was once my cockatiel decided to hop off my shoulder and onto the grass while i was walking to the car, and a cat immedietely leapt out of the bushes toward my bird. Luckily i freaked out enough so that the cat got startled and no one was hurt.
>>
>>2921876
But the short term pain doesn't isn't the issue (and if there's long term pain it's even worse than I thought).
The feathers grow back only if you let them and until then it's a mutilation that prevents the animal from acting in certain ways its nature demands. A tiny cage and no free flight would be a similar problem, even though it's reversible any second. It might be necessary in unusual situations but musn't occur over a big part of the animals life time.
>>
>>2921886
it is not painful. It is not mutilation. Your mental gymnastics are embarrassing.
>>
>>2921888
I never said it was painful. I'm just pointing out that it's preventing birds from flying properly. Flying up to the ceiling and keeping themselfs in midair is something those birds usually do in the wild. A lot.
Like climbing and scratching is for a cat, flying is a very basic behaviour for birds. Usually people don't make this laws based on random ideas, so I guess they fear the animals physical or mental health might be endangered if they are not allowed to scratch/climb/fly or that it's usually a sign that the owner is t prepared to take proper care of the animals needs.
>>
>>2921860
I don't clip my bird's wings, instead just monitoring them while they're out, but the reason people do it (And why I have to monitor them) is that they're like toddlers with a bolt cutter for a face. They'll chew on anything, including power lines, containers of cleaning supplies, flaked drywall, wooden furniture, leather furniture, fabrics, and pretty much anything else they can get their beak on.
>>
>>2921854
Domestic birds can easily get in trouble if their wings aren't clipped. You can clip just enough to make flight ineffective while allowing short flights. All you really want to do is keep them from going 20mph through the house, or (fucking panic) outside.
>>
>>2921846
Maybe.
>>2921852
I didn't do it. Breeder did it.
>>2921856
Taming "wild" bird is part of bird experience. It is like installing Gentoo/LFS. If you had never done it - you don't know Linux.
>>2921924
Spoiler: they can't get to 20 mph at home, unless you live in gym.
>>
>>2921937
It was hyperbole. The takeaway is clipping slows then down so they can't hurt themselves as easily.
>>
>>2921943
Better let them fly into something once, and after that they will go slower.
Clipped wings will grow back, so there is still a possibility of high-speed accident.
>>
>>2921952
That's how you get an injured bird. In a panic they'll fly full speed into things without much thought. Just keep the wings clipped. It's not hard.
>>
>>2921954
I know other way: get a bigger bird, they don't accelerate as fast.
>>
>>2921957
I'd love to keep a heron, stork, or vulture in my house, but for most people a 'tiel is about max size.
>>
>>2921968
Technically it is possible. Some aviary in backyard... And no more stray cats in the area.
>>
My little buddy just passed away today, damn she was a very old bird. 18 years old

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.