[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: stapelia glanduliflora.jpg (237 KB, 1024x768)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
The Plant General - Stapeliae Edition

Welcome to /plant/, the happy green place on this blue board, where growers, gardeners and horticulturists share their love for things that grow.
Newbies and amateurs are very welcome, and we’ll always try to answer your questions.

This edition highlights the Stapeliae tribe, a branch of the Milkweed (Apocynaceae) family characterised by succulent and often cactus-like stems, bearing large and peculiar flowers.
In fact, these flowers are amongst the most complex in the plant kingdom, rivalled perhaps only by those of Orchids.
They are also becoming more and more available to grow as houseplants, so show these weird bastards off if you’ve got them, or just explain to /plant/ why you aren’t growing a maggot-flower yet.

LINKS
>Royal Horticultural Society
https://www.rhs.org.uk/
>Dave's Gardening Tips
https://davesgarden.com/
>Cacti and Succulents
https://cactiguide.com/
https://worldofsucculents.com/
>Carnivorous Plants
https://www.carnivorousplants.co.uk/
>Orchids
http://www.orchid.org.uk/orchids_for_beginners.htm
>Plants for Beneficial Insects
https://permaculturenews.org/2014/10/04/plants-attract-beneficial-insects/
>RHS Pests and Diseases Directory
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/plant-problems/all-plant-problems
>Thousands of Botanical Illustrations
http://www.plantillustrations.org/

>Previous Threads
>>2877606
>>2867529
>>
1st
>>
File: cyanobacteria.jpg (1.65 MB, 3706x1799)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>2887963
Do my cyanobacteria count as plants
>>
>>2888036
pitsa is a vegetable so i guess bacteria can be plant too
>>
File: 20181206_162208.jpg (3.24 MB, 3623x1745)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
>>2888015
Honestly save yourself the trouble and plant them in straight pumice and never water them ever. Aloinopsis and titanopsis I've noticed are a lot more forgiving if you water at the wrong time but with my conophytum I just don't water them until they're a shriveled mess and they bounce back immediately. I went through a clump of conophytum bilobum and a conophytum herreanthus before I learned how to treat them correctly. Those were sad times but the mesembs I have now are doing great.
>>
>>2888036
Preddy cool what do you have them for?
>>
>>2888066
you think that would be better for my senecio (if i find another one), chocolate boi and panda? those are the ones that seem the saddest.

for my jades i was actually thinking of going with more soil to hold more moisture since their leaves are a bit squishy all the time so i dont have to water as often
>>
>>2888096
they're abstract desk plants, I feet them miracle grow and try to keep the water level the same. I have a SAD lamp I keep them in front of. I'm a microbio/botany double major so things like this (photosynthetic microorganisms) really interest me. I'm going to talk to one of my old professors about coming in to do a DNA-barcode and find out what species it is exactly.
>>
>>2888098
I don't know about using pure pumice for other succulents. From my experience other succulents are fine in soil that's a quarter potting soil and 3/4ths pumice/perlite/coarse sand/whatever else I have on hand. All my succulents are outdoors and I live in Southern California though so my conditions aren't the same as yours.
>>
>>2888036
No, they are bacteria, not plants. Cool desk pet though.
>>2888066
>>2888098
>>2888109
I've heard pumice is great for succs, as part of a mix, or just pure pumice, and I've been interested in trying it.
Trouble is, it's pretty expensive compared to regular grit (almost 10 times the price), and only available online where I live.
My plants all do just fine in the soil mix I use anyway, so there's little incentive to try pumice other than curiosity.
>>
File: euphorbiae dec2018.jpg (2.98 MB, 2592x1936)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
Bought two new Euphorbia the other day, despite being at my limit for space.
On the left E. decaryi (i think. it wasn't labelled).
On the right E. stellata.
Both plants I've wanted for a long time, but never seen for sale, so I snapped them up from the mad plant lady in town when I saw them.
In the middle, it's my E. milii that's been pumping flowers out for 6 months now.
Hopefully somebody will buy me a decent camera for Christmas.
>>
>>2888389
several stores sell it here in my 15k pop town. about $8 for a 4 liter bag (bit under a gallon).
>>
>>2888420
I've never seen pumice here in the UK (except as footsrcubbers), but online it costs as much for 1 litre as I would pay for 25 litres of shingle or grit (flint), which is around £2.50. The top-dressing on my pots alone is probably about 5 litres worth.
>>
>>2888420
You probably live in a country with deposits then. Only a handful of countries have it and it costs a lot to import some dumb rock that only a bunch of plant autists are gonna buy. It's disproportionately expensive in many places.
>>
>>2888449
i dont think we have any land like crete here in sweden so doubt we have natural deposit

and $8 for less than a gallon/4liters is not very cheap. i could prob buy a huge bag of imported akadama for the same weight cost
>>
>>2888389
Here in California it's relatively cheap but hard to find in stores. About $5 for a 8lb bag (around 2.5 gallons). So far I've only found one nursery that sells it.
>>
>>2888043
what is pitsa?
>>
>>2888532
exactly what it sounds like, JFGI
>>
>>2888533
>pizza is a vegetable
i remember hearing about that.
i wish they did grow on trees tbph
>>
>>2887963
never been to /plant/, hi. i live in ohio.any non succulents that I could use indoors this winter? like desk size
>>
>>2888544
Aloe.
>>
>>2888553
>non succulents
my bad. try a good granny bulb, like a hyacinth.
>>
>>2888544

African violets are mostly easy to grow.
>>
>>2888554
>>2888556
cool, ty guys
>>
File: dusseldorf-2[1].jpg (93 KB, 1000x667)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Post those bonsai!
>>
>>2888568
post yours
>>
>>2888611
I post mine all of the time, no sense posting ti again.
>>
Post recent plant acquisitions. Pic related is a Sedum Clavatum I recently received in the mail.
>>
>>2887703
Pumpkins are not frost tolerant at all, so look up when your last frost is. I'm zone 8 So I'd start mid March. If you want nice big pumpkins then I'd invest in a heating pad for your seedlings.
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Waterproof-Seedling-Hydroponic-Standard/dp/B00P7U259C (not a shill I swear)
>>
>>2888568
I have only one, but it's in training and looks sad this time of year.
>>
where can I buy cool seeds online you guys, I don't like succulents or cactuses or orchids, idk. For example, I went to my boy Thomas Jefferson's house this past summer and picked up some awesome ones, one really weird striped Italian zucchini or something, anyway, any cool online seed markets you guys use. I'm germinating three date seeds I got from a carton from the store, they're doing breddy gud. here's the Jefferson link if anyone's interested: https://www.monticelloshop.org/farm-garden-seeds.html
>>
Hello brothas. Quick question. Its my first time growing thyme and there are several branches suddenly dying. Is this something to be expected in winter or should I worry about something else?
>>
>>2888969
Thyme is an evergreen, but in colder climates it can die back. Just give it a chop in the Spring to tidy it up.
Like the other mediterranean herbs, it really hates being wet in the Winter.
>>
File: DSC_4774.jpg (1.47 MB, 1800x1200)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>2888992
(Not that guy) It's weird, my thyme, oregano and rosemary seem to thrive better in the heavy clay soil (which is muddy pretty much constantly from November to March) than the ones in better draining positions
Those rosemary shrubs have become huge now after starting from tiny cuttings 2.5 years ago, and I even prune them twice/year
>>
>>2888827
>Sedum clavatum
Very nice species. Hadn't heard of this one, but there are so many Sedum.
As well as these guys >>2888401 , I bought pic related a few weeks ago. I have a Euphorbia problem.
The best plant I bought this year though was a little Adenium seedling that's fattening up nicely.
>>
File: IMG_20181031_133707.jpg (1.19 MB, 2447x2826)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
Pot of moss
>>
File: P1030260c.jpg (974 KB, 557x1863)
974 KB
974 KB JPG
ID
>>
File: P1030257.jpg (966 KB, 1920x1080)
966 KB
966 KB JPG
>>2889405
it's summer here
>>
>>2889229

How do you guys manage to keep moss good loking AND not rot the plant due to the dampness required for healthy moss?

I already killed a nep trying to keep the moss looking great. Never again,
>>
Found this boi on one of my cups I just bought and the guy who sold it to me told me he keeps them fish/snail free,Do these lay eggs and if so how would I go about removing them if needed?
>>
>>2889544
Also what do you anons use for dirt substrate using it for bioactive and I was wondering if you mix anything other than top soil together like sand
>>
>>2889544
Are you talking about aquatic plants? I recommend posting in the aquarium general, they are specialized in those.

That slug is non-aquatic, so it isn't an issue.
>>
File: 20181208_184320.jpg (629 KB, 1080x985)
629 KB
629 KB JPG
>>2889187
Very nice. I don't have that same zest for euphorbia but I'm looking forward to buying this euphorbia lactea soon. I'm an absolute sucker for variegated plants.
>>
File: slugs-eggs_full_width.jpg (47 KB, 720x540)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2889544
The best way to get rid of them would be to search the soil and undersides of the plants and pick them out with tweezers. It's tedious but as long as you can identify the eggs they're easy to find. Look for slimy round clumps.
>>
>>2889551
Nope for herps but thanks
>>2889557
thanks for the info
>>
My tomato plant has lost all its leaves on one stalk (the one that's growing a little tomato, the fruit is still doing fine so far). They just turned brown and fell off in just a week.
The leaves on the other stalk are still mostly green and healthy but I fear whatever this is won't stop there.

What could it be? Is it to dry or does she need more air or is this some sort of terminal tomato bug?
>>
File: 0517181952.jpg (576 KB, 1835x2408)
576 KB
576 KB JPG
>>2889417
It depends a lot on the species of spaghnum you get. Some need to be very wet and humid to stay lush while others are ok staying a bit dryer. It's mostly luck with what species you get. They also have different temperature preferences. I have some spaghnum from Alaska that did well for a while but died out after a year, probably due to needing dormancy.
>>
File: DSC_0468.jpg (1.1 MB, 976x1440)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>2888401
that stellata is awesome, I had seeds but I couldn't get them to germinate. The only ones I've seen locally were like 60 euros for some reason.

Here's my Pereskia Aculeata, it's probably my favourite plant.
>>
My lithops isnt splitting, I've checked the roots and they're okay. Is it normal?

A few months ago I checked and it had literally 0 roots, trimmed the dead tissue and it has grow some new roots, but still no new leaves. Is it gonna die? pls help me anons ;_;
>>
>>2889405
>>2889409
Looks like a cornflower (Centaurea).
Show us again when it starts to flower.
>>
>>2889552
I have a regular Euphorbia lactea. It's really nice, but it hasn't grown one bit this whole year.
It fell off the windowsill, and then another time the curtain rail fell out of the fixture and skewered it, so it may well be dead.
>>2889722
>60 euros
that is a lot. I paid £10 for the E. stellata and £12 for E. decaryi. I'm lucky enough to have an amazing plant shop in my town.
They sell a bunch of different Pereskia and Epiphyllum.
Has yours flowered yet? Do they have different needs to succulent cacti?
>>
>>2889722
its the fastest growing cactus ever, a weed in s africa and australia and the likes

>>2889754
they need far more water than regular cacti and more calcium than regular plants, likes neutral soils
>>
File: IMG_20181209_132026.jpg (381 KB, 1546x869)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
My Calathea is still flowering. Two flower stalks even. Very nice.
I mean, not because the flowers are anything to rave about. It's more about feeling that "I must be doing something right".

By the way, no, you can't remove the dried, brown bits. They're still connected to the stalk, and from beneath, new flowers will continue to bloom, over and over.
>>
>>2889754
The pereskia hasn't flowered yet, I have it in pumice and coco coir and it grows really fast.
>>
>>2889747
Leave it alone and don't water it at all. It sounds like your lithops is off cycle and that's why it isn't splitting, this isn't a problem because over the years it'll correct itself. As long as there isn't any root rot and it's regrowing its roots it will be okay with time.
>>
>>2888827
I got this dwarf umbrella yesterday. Fairly common indoor plant but pretty when grown thicker.
>>
>>2890478
it's called a SCHEFFLERA anon
a SCHEFFLERA
>>
>>2890565
read the image file name
>>
>>2890578
sch...schefflera?
>>
>>2890584
I don't get it. Do caps matter?
>>
File: 84a8b0.jpg (172 KB, 800x908)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>aloe guy: the thread
>>2891004
>>
>>2891032
Honestly just put it back. Even if it looks sad and pathetic like that it could bounce back when the weather gets warmer. If you really wanna to through extra effort you can remove it from the pot and check the roots, as long as they're not rotting you can replant it in a better draining soil and keep it by a southern facing window until it recovers.
>>
Hey guys, I moved to a new apartment and I got gifted this plant.
They told me it was suited for interior and that I should not water it much, but the leafs started turning yellow.
Really new into this plant thing.
>>
>>2891047
I would say it's dying, because the pot is way too tiny for a plant that size. But I don't see any crowded roots near the surface, which is strange. In fact the dirt looks suspiciously fresh. Was it recently repotted or something?
>>
>>2891057
Not that anon but maybe whoever repotted the plant damaged the roots in the process?
>>
bumpen
>>
>tfw my meyer lemon tree had a lot of beautiful flowers
>tfw they all either fall off or the resulting fruit falls off
I get that they wont all stay because it'd be too heavy for this little tree
But none of them stayed last year, and already this year theres piles of petals and little teeny fruits on the floor
Ah well
>>
>>2891047
F
>>
>>2892021
Maybe when the fruits start farming you can trim them down to maybe a handful that the tree can put its energy into. I don't know if it'd work but worth a try to see if a lemon can fully mature that way.
>>
>>
>>2891047
MOAR LIGHT
Seriously I see so many sad etoliated leggy Yuccas and Dracaenas raised in dark offices... it's kinda sad.
Move them to at least a southern window in winter, and put them outside into full sun as early as possible, and move them in as late as possible.
I'm at 50°N, still my yuccas (the very sensitive kind, Y. elephantipes) are only inside the garage during severe cold waves, which means usually only in January/February (in mild winters they can be outside year-round). That way they grow sturdy instead of leggy
>>
>nice succs ya got there, would be a shame if something happened to them
>>
>>2892519
Every once in a while I'll have one of my outdoor succulent pots knocked over in the middle of the night by a stray cat. Truly suffering.
>>
Hello, /plant/. Wannabe Tarzan here. What are the best trees to grow for the intention of free climbing them one day? A lumberjack friend suggested oaks and maples. I am in USDA zone 5 but I’m considering greenhousing as well for a real jungle, albeit I probably can’t afford as big an indoor forest as an outdoor forest. Tropical climbing trees would be cool tho. Pls help treemen
>>
>>2892457
I suppose you can eat that, right?
All cacti are edible afaik.
Looks like a yam.
>>
>>2892586
Honestly, you're not going to be able to plant anything that you will be able to climb within your own lifetime.
But if you are planning for future generations, Oak is the way to go.
>>
>>2892519
is that fucking sphagnum moss?
i hope the cat shits on them tbph
>>
>>2892677
how about kiri ? or is it weak ?
>>
>>2892677
Depends on the type of climbing. A cherry tree is very no-gear noob climbable in just 10 years,
>>
File: IMG_20181213_130407_142.jpg (356 KB, 2020x2020)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
hyacinth bean is bloomin'
>>
File: image.jpg (774 KB, 1936x1936)
774 KB
774 KB JPG
Hey /Plant/, I posted not to long ago about finding Honesty Flower/ Silver dollar seeds not too long ago, and I gotta say that these guys are the absolute pickiest little gits I've seen in a plant. I had 4 in a little pot and three died off or starting to from what I assume would be root rot, and one may be or not afflicted with it. I found some new seeds not too long ago and wanted to see if any you lads have some tips other than watering less. This is my second batch with one from the first so far.
>>
>>2892930
Sorry for the upside quality, using an IPad.
>>
>>2892930
they look leggy, is there anywhere you can put them to get more direct light for longer? I'd recommend that if you can
>>
>>2892930
Honesty will do far better in the ground, and it hates being transplanted, just like a lot of annuals/biennials.
Beautiful plant though. Does really well in dappled woodland shade.
>>
>>2892948
That's almost the best I can do, I'm at my grandparents house so I don't want to scuff up their space. We have terrible spots for lighting honestly. I do however have a grow light, it's just taken up by other plants atm such as my Pygmy drosera, trying to get gemmae but they are being stubborn. If I had my own place, light wouldn't be much of an issue, but what can you do when you're just starting job hunting.

>>2892957
I did find these around my home, which is mostly wood land. With it being winter though, I'm afraid they won't establish themselves well enough, then again, most plants I have don't go into the ground.
>>
>>2893001
Same Anon, is there any grow lights you lads use that has been great? I've seen the lights on Amazon for sale, but wonder if they are really that good. What do you suggest for a dependable lighting source other than are lovable sun.
>>
>>2893001
Honesty will usually set it's seeds in late summer, which will germinate and grow through until winter.
Then, in the following spring, they will restart growth, flower, and seed, restarting the cycle.
So, technically, it's a biennial, like foxgloves, or forget-me-nots.
Sowing this late in the year is probably the main issue here, and also growing indoors a temperate biennial is going to cause it all kinds of confusion.
>>
>>2888827
Looks like rossetes of an obese ladies breast
>>
>>2893041
Ah, oops, figured I could've grown them without problems. Hopefully I can still grow these little guys to adults at the very least.
>>
>>2893105
Sorry for not including this in my earlier post, but if I were to put this outside, in the ground wise, would that mean they would stop growing, but resume afterwords in spring, or would that just completely kill it.
>>
>>2893107
I would leave them in the pot, but thin the seedlings out to an inch apart to give the strongest more room. Really only 3 will fit this pot.
At least one has sprouted some true leaves, and it might do alright, but it probably won't be a very large plant.
>>
>>2892677
Ailanthus is probably climbable after 5 years even in temperate climate (unless you weigh like 200kg), but then again who wants those
>>
Are ground egg shells a good homemade fertilizer?
>>
File: 1213181251a.jpg (1.11 MB, 1817x2652)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>
>>2893210
no
>>
>>2893210
They are a good thing to add to your compost pile, but not much use on their own.
>>
>>2889417
Spaghnums whole survival trick is to kill as many other plants as they possibly can.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.