[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: download.jpg (12 KB, 327x154)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Who will win a fight to the death between an African spotted hyena and an American gray wolf? No pack back up.
>>
>>2887414

The wolf. Watch some videos of lions fighting hyenas over food.
>>
>gray wolves can be bigger by 60 fucking pounds

That was not what I was expecting when I started googling this matchup

But we know the answer to this, there's a reason spotteds don't live in Eurasia anymore and it's because they couldn't compete with the grey wolves
>>
>>2887449
>because they couldn't compete with the grey wolves
I thought that's because the wolves are better hunters/quicker to adapt in post ice age Europe. Doesn't easily make the hyenas weaker, especially since hyenas are bigger and have stronger bites than the wolf.
>>
>>2887444
OK, can you show me a video of a wolf winning against a lion?
>>
>>2887451
>hyenas are bigger

They're not, grey wolves can be 60lbs heavier, they're faster, smarter and have better stamina
>>
>>2887414
is the hyena male or female?
>>
>>2887562
yes
>>
>>2887537
>grey wolves can be 60lbs heavier
They can also weigh far less than hyenas.
Eurasian spotted hyenas are extinct because Cro Magnons got tired of having their babies eaten and being chased up trees so they started chucking spears at them. Hyenas would never let you do pic related to them.
>>2887414
Hyena.
>>
>>2887566
>would never let you do pic related to them
What? The weakest pack members get left behind for dumb apes to take care of?
>>
>>2887451
>stronger bites
False.
A wolf has an average bite force of 400 pounds, it can go to over 1200 pounds if it needs to. That’s slightly more force than a hyena has which is around 1100 pounds.
>>
>>2887453

wolves and lions lived in the same habitat quit recently in europe and clearly the wolf won:

Historic range of Panthera leo

In Eastern Europe, the lion inhabited part of the Balkan peninsula up to Hungary and Ukraine during the Neolithic period.[25][26] It survived in Bulgaria until the 4th or 3rd century BC, and in mainland Greece until about 100 AD.[22][27] It became extinct in the Peloponnese around 1,000 BC.[2][28] It disappeared from Macedonia around the first century AD, and in Thessaly in the 4th century AD.[25][26][29][30][20] Possibly it survived longer farther south. In the 4th century AD, Themistius regrets that in his time the lion disappeared in Thessaly and no more lions could be furnished for beast-shows.[3][20]
>>
>>2887537
>smarter
Kek, no. Hyenas are nearly on par with primates my dude.
>>2887587
>source: anon's ass
Pound for pound only a handful of mammals have a stronger bite than a hyena, none of which are wolves. Hyena jaws are perfectly designed for crushing bones far thicker than anything a wolf will experience. Furthermore even if you were right in the upper bite force psi of a wolf bite why would you not also factor in the same for a hyena? That's just fucking retarded.
>>
>>2887598
>Pound for pound only a handful of mammals have a stronger bite than a hyena
I thought the hyenas are strongest one. What else is stronger? Jaguars? Hippos? Whales?
>>
>>2887587
oh, that video where the wolf bites fast a measuring stick using half of his mouth and less than a second and got 400 pounds, it probably has 800-1000 psi going full serious,but no 1200 psi
>>
>>2887618
crocs and orcas
>>
>>2887618
Yes hippos, alligators, bull sharks etc.
>>
>>2887618
Jags, hippos, gorillas, proportionately speaking Tasmanian devils.
>>2887623
>>2887635
I was talking about mammals exclusively guys.
>>
>>2887650
Orcas are mammals.
>>
>>2887451
wtf is slightly a stronger biteforce gonna do in a fight?
its for eating carcasses, not for killing. the sharp teeth of a predator is what does the damage.
>>
File: tsavolions.jpg (162 KB, 472x291)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>2887592
>clearly the wolf won
The actual state of awooooing dog fags.
Lions are extinct in Eurasia because they are too Chad to be stopped so higher hominids started killing them off. Wolves in Africa are such cucks.
>>
>>2887592
>the wolf clearly won
No, dumb spearchucking apes killed the lions off because they were too dangerous.
>>
>>2887566
their floor is only about 15lbs apart though, while the maximum is a whole lot bigger in favor of the wolf
>>2887598
>hyenas are smarter than wolves
on what fucking planet do you live? less than 10% of the hyenas managed to open the puzzle box on their latest test

also the lower bite force is still good enough to rip flesh from bone and is more than the African wild dogs, who go toe to toe with hyenas regularly

hyenas also have big long exposed necks to get ripped out

>>2887668
>>2887718
just like fucking terror birds too huh? strange how lions and hyenas weren't extripated from the spear chucking apes homeland then and coincidentally only in areas that are now run by grey wolves
>>
Difficult. Wolves are smarter, probably more agile. Hyenas have a stronger bite.

It's a toss up to me.

All the retarded shit about who survived climate shifts and human development being "stronger" is hilarious. The strongest animal in any ecosystem is often the first to go extinct when things change, particularly when a new apex predator like humans show up. Coyotes outsurvived wolves here in the States, but we all know who's gonna win a 1 on 1.
>>
File: 1507102531934.jpg (139 KB, 960x960)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>2887414
As fierce, adaptable, and amazing the grey wolf is, I really have to favor Hyena in this match-up. Hyenas have a longer, stronger neck and are positioned slightly higher than the wolf. The vertical advantage would allow a fast movement downwards into the oncoming canine, but I really cannot say for sure. I would have to say only a large and particularly seasoned, dominant female would have a pretty good chance. Hyenas also seem to be able to 'spin' on their haunches incredibly fast, landing accurate bites and just overall being ridiculously nasty. Even lions, who are much larger and have the anatomical advantage (being cats) really get out-competed by Hyenas as a whole, even if a 1v1 would 100% end in a victorious lion.
>inb4 furries come in to defend their favorite animal
>>
File: 1512572821687.jpg (927 KB, 3000x1987)
927 KB
927 KB JPG
>>2887820
>wolves are smarter
Not trying to 'one up' you or be rude but I really highly recommend you research the hyena's intelligence. It is becoming increasingly likely that they are much, much smarter than was originally thought. They have really large cranium and eyes, which is the standard 'measurement' to estimate intelligence, and they have such a range of complex vocal signals and behaviors. Not saying hyenas are necessarily smarter than wolves, but I'm kinda saying that
>yes, a hyenafag has entered the thread
>>
>>2887651
I know, but you also mentioned crocs and the other guy mentioned sharks.
>>
>>2887800
>on what fucking planet do you live? less than 10% of the hyenas managed to open the puzzle box on their latest test
According to this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2346515/
earth, apparently.

>also the lower bite force is still good enough to rip flesh from bone and is more than the African wild dogs, who go toe to toe with hyenas regularly
Not what you were taking about, you purported that wolves have the higher bite force by examine the supposed absolute maximum without doing the same for hyenas. Stop moving goalposts. Also painted dogs attack hyenas en masse and are the most successful non human hunter in Africa which is a near literal kingdom of predators. It's hardly a fair comparison.
>hyenas also have big long exposed necks to get ripped out
Held by dense muscles that are attached to an angry hyena which can and will fight back. If the wolf is lucky it will die quickly rather than be run off with a shattered limb and starving to death. Maybe don't bring up terror birds by the way, their downfall was that they couldn't adapt to a shifting environment the same as the short faced bear and American lion. It had little to do with wolves as a species until a handful started being domesticated by humans who were also in the process of being cunts to the animals they couldn't or wouldn't try domesticating.
>>
File: 1527458912919.jpg (51 KB, 600x394)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2887882
>hyenas also have big long exposed necks to get ripped out
>Held by dense muscles that are attached to an angry hyena which can and will fight back
this.
>>
Humans only expanded into northern eurasia once they started domestication of wolves. Before that hyenas were preying on them.
>>
>>2887882
i wasn't the guy saying they bit harder than hyenas

also the idea that they're intelligent because they have a social structure and communicate through body language and vocalizations put them at best on par with grey wolves. and wolves actually dominate puzzle boxes comparatively getting the meat around 50% of the time
>>
>>2887453
Motherfucking Rhodesian ridgebacks
>>
>>2887592
>wolves and lions lived in the same habitat quit recently in europe and clearly the wolf won
II guess a brown rat would fucking wreck a wolf in a 1v1 fight.
>>
>>2888080
Bred specifically to harass lions as a pack long enough for the hunter to show up and shoot them. Not the same thing as a fight.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.