[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 82 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan will be temporarily down for maintenance from 7PM to 11PM EST.

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

This is is the invertebrate general. If you have any questions about invertebrates, want to look into owning one or more, or want to simply discuss them, this is the thread to do so, whether its

/invert/ discord server: https://discord.gg/28V2Yua
old thread: >>2849754

>Tarantulas and other spiders
>Myriapods
>Mollusks
>Crustaceans
>Insects
>Or anything without a backbone

Feel free to post it.

Resources/help and information

>Tarantulas
https://tomsbigspiders.wordpress.com/beginner-guides/
http://www.theraphosidae.be/en
>Mantids
http://www.mantisonline.eu/index.php?lan=en
>Phasmids
http://www.phasmatodea.com/web/guest/home
>>
File: IMG_7663_zpsf9dde3e0.jpg (92 KB, 1024x682)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2876981
Original OP from way back when who first wrote the OP post here

What else should we add to the resources list? We only had so many people here when we first started almost two years ago, and only so wide a selection. Now that I see we have people asking about various others, especially crustaceans, what else should we add to the list? I'd say we put crabs and hermit crabs there, and maybe beetles, to start.
>>
>>2876981
What are some good beginner invert pets?
What are the most kino inverts?
>>
What if you can't find any tarantula breeders in your country, any company willing to ship to other countries? Also would that be a ethical thing to do as a spider lover, can tarantula long distances and live in tropical regions not native to them? Sorry for all the questions, complete beginner here.
>>
>>2876917
>>2876956
also, I'm thinking that eco-earth doesn't have enough cohesion, will the tarantula fix this with silk or should I try to find some clay-y soil to mix in?
>>
>>2877048
Depends. Where are you?
>>
>>2877048
travel*
>>2877098
India.
>>
>>2877027
>beginner
scorpion, millipedes, assassin bugs, crickets
>>
File: Lj5.jpg (764 KB, 1456x1092)
764 KB
764 KB JPG
>>2876981
Just looked under his rock today and found this guy lying beside his old exoskeleton
>>
>>2877498
>scorpion
Aren't they really dangerous(for a beginner), though?
>>
>>2877665
Depends on the species. Something large with a weak sting like an emperor scorpion won't sting you and smaller ones will usually not get defensive if given a place to hide as they should. Obviously don't get anything with potent venom.

Best to go with desert species like H.arizonensis or H.spinigerus and large species with weak stings like H.troglodytes or the aforementioned emperor scorpion though those are getting harder to come by.
>>
>>2877013
I've been working a lot so I've been busy but i posted a few months ago regarding US beetle laws and emailed United States Fish and Wildlife Service. "We would expect that you can import a pet beetle without complications provided that you comply with the requirements " Then I was given a endangered animal list with 20 beetles. I messaged two websites that sell beetles and asked about their US imports and they say about 3/100 are denied from US Customs.
I've seen a lot of mixed info on beetle substrate and how well it can effect growth of the larvae So info like that could be useful if that is correct
>>
What are a some fast breeding Isopods i could use for a bioactive tank? I have a bearded I'd like to make the move to Bio but he will eat Three times his weight and hunt anything moving
>>
>>2878230
>We would expect
What the fuck? They don't have a database to refer to and give you a precise answer from?
>>
>>2878232
A lot of federal law in the US is open to interpretation by the courts to the point where law enforcement may not be able to give a solid answer. Also quite a few of our laws have confounding effects such as intent or other trivialities that can't be accurately listed in a short answer.

so no, unless you're asking about murder or bank robbery or something there's a lot of cases where you're not going to get a yes/no answer from a government agency.
>>
>>2878232
there's also the problem that you could comply with Federal laws and still run afoul of State, county, or city laws.

the feds in law enforcement don't generally keep track of local laws, so they can't say if you're good there or not. They have enough of a mess keeping track of Federal laws. In the case of importing living animals from another country your actions probably will fall under about 100 different Federal laws, some of which a person could easily break by accident.

>provided that you comply with the requirements
is sort of a catch-all caveat for that situation. It's the importer's job to know which laws have to be followed and there's a lot of them.
>>
>>2878232
The final problem is one of license vs. opinion.

if you write to the Feds and ask if you can do X, and they say, "yes, you can do X," that grants you license to do X. They aren't legally allowed to grant you personal license to do much of anything via a letter though, because they don't know the full situation.

so what they provide is an opinion. "If you do X you probably won't be prosecuted." or, "it should be fine for you to do X so long as you file the required paperwork and pay the taxes."

or whatever.

they aren't going to say something is ok to do because that's a license to do it. They'll just offer an opinion on whether or not you'll get in trouble doing a thing, should you choose to do it. The letter can't grant you license, it can only convey an opinion.
>>
>>2878240
>>2878249
Sounds like life would be a lot easier for you guys if you joined the EU.
>>
>>2878254
~30% of our economy comes from exactly this sort of bureaucratic masturbation.
>>
>>2877665
Along with what
>>2877675 said
The Paravejovis spinigerus and Heterometrus spinifer are my two most active scorpions even in daytime. Both of which would be fine as a beginner scorpion. As their stings, while painful, would not be medically significant, unless you had an allergic reaction(same as with a bee sting)

Heterometrus are cool, because they get quite big and are voracious eaters.
>>
>>2877027
Gromphadorhina portentosa
They are really awesome and easy to keep.
keep them in groups they are quite social.
>>
anyone keep these things? there is hardly any info on them as pets online with most reports saying they don't live long in captivity, but it's old data from like a decade ago
>>
>>2878441
>even bugs live in a society
>>
File: IMG_20181126_020701~2.jpg (469 KB, 1352x1550)
469 KB
469 KB JPG
My P. smithi molted last night
>>
File: 1542923814755.jpg (139 KB, 640x789)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>2878827
I have not personally but I hear they have similar care requirements to any other millipede, and I believe I have seen people keep them communally with isopods and other species of millipede.
They look rad tho, update if you get any please
>>
>>2879617
NIGGA EATIN BEANS!
>>
Best places to buy Ts UK?
>>
>>2880073
Not from the UK but, The SpiderShop is pretty highly rated from what I've heard
>>
File: grimsby.png (51 KB, 208x240)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>2879617
>37 cefalotorax
>36 crabganias
>>
>>2878827
Giant pill millipedes are pretty much impossible to keep alive in captivity

Please don´t buy any
>>
>>2880290
>Giant pill millipedes are pretty much impossible to keep alive in captivity
y tho
>>
File: 20181127_232715.jpg (1.17 MB, 2576x1932)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
My vinegaroon got stuck inbetween his glass and the dirt. Then fluid leaked from his leg. After this his leg was stiff and unmoving. Can I do anything to help him or is he kill?
>>
>>2878231
Beardies need it too dry for bioactive to work out.
>>
>>2880644
he can regenerate messed up legs. if the leg is FUBAR he'll cut if off himself so don't mess with the leg
>>
File: camerflerge.jpg (828 KB, 1493x1160)
828 KB
828 KB JPG
>>2879411
Nice! How big is it?
>>
How do I stop the fucking crickets from cannibalizing their cage mates and stinking so bad?
Do I just freeze them and start keeping dubias?
>>
>>2880890
Yes. Glad to be of help.
>>
I'll be traveling to Corfu, Greece in April. I was thinking about collecting some little insects and bringing them home in my suitcase. Is it illegal to do this on a plane as long as the species is not endangered? Do they care? Will I get in big troubles?
>>
>>2880890
Pretty much. The only way I've been able to keep crickets alive is by giving them excessive hiding spaces, and pretty much an overload of food separated into small portions spread throughout the cage, as they will get violently defensive over food if there's only one feeding spot.

Dubia's are cool sure, but I'd be far less worried about a cricket escaping into my house than a cockroach
>>
>>2880985
dubias can't become household pests even if they escape.
>>
>>2880964
You gonna get black bagged by the epa
>>
>>2880703
I checked on him now amd he is fine, thanks for the info. On another note, how do you know this? Do you have a source or have you seen it happen?
>>
The usda is what stops most bug imports as plant pest. Not wildlife laws of the usfw.
>>
>>2876981
Always dreamed of cultuvating a garden with enough biodiversity to hatch a mantis egg. Anybody here know anything about doing something like that? Is this even viable or am I just daydreaming here?
>>
>>2881378
just plant some flowers and bushes to attract insects and order mantis ooths online. they are cheap and available in many places in spring
>>
>>2881341
Common knowledge that arachnids regen limbs
>>
>>2876981
such sarcastic creatures
>>
>>2880985
>I'd be far less worried about a cricket escaping into my house than a cockroach
Crickets are the real pests
>>
>>2880625
Just look through forums m8
It most likely has something to do with their gut microbiome and temperature.
As I said, Sphaerotheriida pretty much are impossible to keep alive for longer periods of time, even for experts.
Except maybe one species.

Glomeridae on the other hand can be kept in and bred in captivity.

Also
>why?
If we would know it exactly we'd be able to breed them.
>>
>>2881409
They got extra eyes lol
>>
File: IMG_20181129_041718~2.jpg (972 KB, 2104x1873)
972 KB
972 KB JPG
>>2880751
When it's doing the typical pokie pose it's 2" long. Haven't gotten a chance to get a more recent pic, but it's colors have darkened a fair bit now.

Just noticed my Heterometrus is molting. Looks like a really awkward position sort of wedged vertically in its tunnel. Its my first scorpion so I hope the molt goes well.
>>
>>2880991
Really? Why is that? Just out of curiosity.
>>
>>2881671
They live on the forest floors of Central and South America eating fruits and fallen leaves so they're not well adapted to human houses.
Only about 30 out of the 4,600 species of cockroach associate with human habitats at all but dubias can escape and live in the wild in places like Florida for example so it depends where you live.
>>
>>2881677
This
Floridian here. Can confirm we're the only state you can't ship them to.
>>
File: IMG_20181129_122852_1~2.jpg (1.09 MB, 2307x1643)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>2881592
The molt went well
>>
My lifes work is proving mankind evolved from something cool like tarantulas and not shitty monkeys
>>
File: 8112355099_10f925ddc7_b.jpg (757 KB, 1024x685)
757 KB
757 KB JPG
>>2881847
If you make any progress, you've got yourself a devout follower, so keep us updated
>>
So my A. Seemanni doesn't want to eat her dubias. I've fed her with crickets and mealworms in the past, and she was perfectly receptive. Even if she didn't eat it immediately, it would always be gone the next day with a visible husk in her hide. I put a dubia in her tank a week ago, and I just found it hiding under her water dish. That's the fourth time this month I've tried feeding her a dubia. She's nowhere near premolt, so it can't be that. Are tarantulas capable of being picky eaters?
>>
This is about as close as this qt would let me get before sprinting away at Mach 5. Why are they so shy compared to other centipedes?
>>
Help me invert general.
I was at my mom’s house earlier today and we found these creatures infesting some of her spices in her pantry. They were light colored and a few millimeters long. Very thin like tiny termites. I couldn’t get a picture because they were too small but does anyone know what they might have been? Flour mites?
>>
>>2882597
funny harvestman boi
>>
Just wondering if I've done this right.
First spider. And I've switched him to a bigger tank. He's a mexican red knee if it matters.
>>
>>2883144
Sorry forgot picture
>>
my scorpion always holds onto a cricket leg like a drumstick. does this happen to anyone else?

also she stung the last cricket right in the face while holding onto it. fucking brutal
>>
>>2883145
its a bit big but with a fat butt like that i'd say he'll have no trouble finding food, and may make a smaller burrow if he thinks he's got too much space anyways. all in all looks fine to me except for one BIG issue: i don't see any lateral ventilation holes. holes on the sides > holes on top
>>
>>2882330
yall need to come to my basement, the fuckers will run over your foot
>>
File: copP5060136.jpg (51 KB, 845x634)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Anyone keeping polistes? I would like to start with them, but I'm not sure if I can catch a queen at spring. Also do you have any experiences with eusocial insects?
>>
>>2883230
no thanks
>>
Look /invert/, I get that you guys like your spiders and whatnot, but every time I see one of those big-ass wolf spiders in my house, I kill it. I've been trying to get better at dealing with bugs, but some of them just really freak me out.
>>
>>2883596
We had a beekeeper or two here at some point, but I don't know if they're still here.
>>
>>2876981
Did you know that "invert" was once the term for homosexuals?
>>
File: mfwcringe.jpg (5 KB, 119x138)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>2883828
quit being a little bitch whos scared of something considerably smaller than him.
>>
File: qeghd35g9w111.jpg (149 KB, 914x913)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>2883828
>Step 1: Expose yourself to pictures and videos. Make it an everyday sight.
>Step 2: Learn about the animals you are afraid of. You're most scared about what you don't know about.
>Step 3: See them up close. Alive. Handle it, if the situation allows. Get positive experience with the animal.
>Step 4: ?????
>Step 5: Profit
>>
File: 1.jpg (169 KB, 2364x1629)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
Which one?
>>
File: 2.jpg (156 KB, 2364x1629)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>2883963
tank is exo terra 60 x 45 x 60
>>
Is there a beginner’s guide to ant farms?
>>
>>2883854
>be terrified of hornets and wasps
>see them up close
>get stung
Thanks doc
>>
>>2883985
Yes. Lots of them. Try typing some relevant terms into a world wide web search engine.
>>
>>2883985
Look up Ants Australia. Great video quality and information they provide care wise applies to ants in general and not just to their local stuff.
>>
>>2882360
Was this it?
>>
File: IMG_20181201_220238~2.jpg (520 KB, 1382x1705)
520 KB
520 KB JPG
My Poecilotheria smithi after darkening up since it's molt.

>>2879411
>>
File: om_Vonones.jpg (125 KB, 639x442)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Anyone here keeping any sort of harvestman? Their care seems to be very similar to isopods but the demand for them is nowhere near as big.
>>
>>2883986
He didn't say hornets and wasps, now did he.
>>
>>2884051
How long are their lifespans, on average?
>>
>>2881592
>>2881832
Nice! Looks good, I think my Heterometrus is getting ready to molt, not out as much as usual and starting to refuse food, plus it's turning into a blimp. That thing is normally an insane eater.

My L. jordanensis just molted a few days ago too, so pretty happy about that
>>
File: IMG_20181105_193106_550.jpg (2.66 MB, 2976x3968)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
Anyone here have experience in keeping Zophobas? Larvae are easy enough to keep, but the adult bugs are extremely cannibalistic. Out of the 7buggos that hatched about 3months ago only two are still alive right now. I kept them in a 20x30x20cm fauna box filled about a quarter with wood litter. I feed them potato- and appleslices about every 3-4 days.
Should I switch to a different type of litter, maybe cocos fiber?
Pic is one of the unlucky younger Zophobas I was able to save before it was completely devoured by its siblings, surprisingly lived for another week or so before it died.
>>
File: floridanus8.jpg (64 KB, 500x346)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
How difficult are carpenter ants to raise? specifically the Floridian variety

>>
>>2881378
you can do it with species that are native to your area (country at least). please don't release something like hymenopus coronatus in europe or anything like that.
as >>2881380 mentioned, plant flowers to attract insects.
i'd like to do this too, but mantis religiosa may not be sold in this area.
>>
After i missed the last 5 or so chances to visit Terraristika, i will finally really go this saturday.

I'm hoping to pick up a mossy frog and maybe some mantids. If I find them for cheap, Idolomantis Diabolica and one of the mossy looking mantid species (Majangella or Haania) would be nice. I might also consider Metallyticus Splendidus. I'm hoping to find some species that I don't know about yet.

Yesterday I tried to mate my 2 Paradoxas, but the female ate my male. :(
>>
>>2885321
>a mossy frog
why only one?

>If I find them for cheap, Idolomantis Diabolica
>Yesterday I tried to mate my 2 Paradoxas, but the female ate my male. :(
why not try to succeed with the easier species first before trying to go for the really difficult ones?
>>
>>2885328
You can't always win. I've succesfully bred 3 species before.
>>
>>2883964
People might respond if you said that the tank was for
>>
>>2886465
Looks like some sort of crab setup
>>
Just got a Pamphobeteus sp. Esmeraldas sling. Man it looks like little tigers already.
>>
File: Lj8.jpg (743 KB, 1590x904)
743 KB
743 KB JPG
>>2876981
Snapped a pic of this little guy while it was out and about
>>
>>2876981
spider genocide when
>>
>>2887000
Never
>>
>buy a tarantula so I can have a pet that I don't worry about during work trips
>worry about it on work trips
I hope it molts well while I'm away, I know my sponge set up will keep the humidity up
>>
>>2887254
More often than not, the worst thing you can do is worry.
>>
>>2885077
Carpenter ants are finicky during the founding period but fairly hardy beyond that. If you haven't successfully raised an ant colony before, I'd recommend an easier species. Tetramorium are the probably the best for beginners.
>>
File: 20181205_212326.jpg (2.25 MB, 3984x2988)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
Can anyone tell the sex on this P. irminia?
>>
>>2879411
that's a p spiffy P. smithi
>>
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes.

I had a huntsman spider move in to my room a few days ago and it just kind of chills on the wall near the door. It seems to have killed and eaten another huntsman, and I now have the dead one hanging from the wall right where the first one stays.
Would it be a problem to remove the dead one and toss it away?
>>
File: 20181206_134430.jpg (3.01 MB, 4032x3024)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>2887532
This is what I am talking about, just for reference.
>>
>>2887617
Handsome boi
>>
>>2887617
that looks more like a molt
>>
>>2887428
>>2887254
Worst thing you can do is buy a sponge. They collect a ton of bacteria. What species do you have? It might be better off without the humidity.
>>
File: IMG-20181206-WA0007.jpg (916 KB, 4032x2268)
916 KB
916 KB JPG
>>2887639
I think you are right, took it down and had a look. I know next to nothing about spiders, so just assumed it had killed another one.
>>
File: IMG_20181207_002138.jpg (1.53 MB, 3000x4000)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
Does anyone know what this is?
Its on my wall and fairly large. I initially didn't even notice its presence. It reminds me of a Praying mantis but it kind of looks like a dried leaf.
Sorry for the shit quality image, my phone camera is pretty bad.
>>
>>2887664
Pink toe (Avicularia avicularia)
The sponge is brand new and I set it in the overfilled water cap to keep the humidity high for what I hope will be a molt
>>
>>2888157
If you want to up the humidity just mist the substrate or put in a regular water dish. Spiders won't drown themselves. Also ventilation is more important for Avicularia avicularia, if you have bad ventilation and high humidity you'll kill them.
>>
File: IMG_20181206_225904~2.jpg (490 KB, 1488x1411)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
Pic of my Psalmopoeus irminia started showing adult colors
>>
File: u-g-Q11UZW10.jpg (10 KB, 550x367)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>2887804
Gongylus gongylodes - violin mantis
>>
>>2881832
god I've worked so hard to get over my irrational fear of spoods and friends but bug molting still makes my skin crawl
at least they're cool the rest of the time an I can handle a tarantula without pissing myself anymore, but still, eugh
>>
I'm going to get my first mantis soon (and first invert ever) and I've been reading caresheets for mantises in general as well as for the specific species I'll get (Ghost mantis), but I'm finding conflicting information regarding heating.

I live in the UK so I need a form of heating for sure. Some sources say I should use a heating mat on just one side of the enclosure so the mantis can cool itself down or warm itself up by moving, but I recently watched a video that claims heating mats are not appropriate for insects as they have the instinct to go down to cool themselves down, and that a lamp would be better. Is that true at all ?

Also do you guys who have mantises have a thermometer/hygrometer in there at all times ? Do you just check things with one at times ? Do you skip the hygrometer entirely and eyeball humidity ? Most of the enclosures I've seen in videos and pictures have neither, even though they give precise measurements for the desirable temperature/humidity of the enclosure.
>>
>>2888398
Correct, heating mats are not ideal because in nature, heat comes from above and the lower areas are cooler.
That said, p. paradoxa can do just fine without heating at all, even in the UK. They'll just take longer to molt (but live longer),

I don't use hygrometers/thermometers at all for mantids anymore. It's not really that important at all to have the perfect % of humidity. But it might be a good idea to get a hygrometer so you can figure out how to eyeball it, or just keep it inside, whatever you prefer.
>>
>>2888223
Beautiful. One of the species atop my list to get. Psalmopoeus spp. in general are underrated imo
>>
Hey guys my tarantula has been climbing a lot lately and i feel like i should add more substrate in case of a fall. Is it okay to take the hide out and add substrate while she is in the enclosure or should I remove her?

It's a new world and i've worked around her enclosure with her in it before
>>
>>2889228
You should remove her. Less stress overall.
>>
I got a tarantula not moving, with legs curled but right-side up
is he dead
They molt upside down right
>>
>>2889453
Yes, if their legs are curling up underneath them that's a classic death curl. If it isn't a mature male it may be severely dehydrated. If it isn't already dead then you can attempt to give it water and put it in an icu. Chances are it's too far gone but it is worth a try even if you think it's already dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3brmcH45pY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjgKMMqhaM
>>
File: tenor.gif (977 KB, 318x174)
977 KB
977 KB GIF
When you go to feed one of your ts and you see their legs sticking out of their hide
>>
File: Cc1.jpg (711 KB, 2080x1560)
711 KB
711 KB JPG
Picked up 2 new little guys at an expo today

>>
File: Lqh1.jpg (744 KB, 1604x1105)
744 KB
744 KB JPG
>>2890103
And #2
>>
>>2890104
My local expo was today too, but I missed it. What was the expo you went to?
>>
>>2890108
It was one in Toronto, Ontario
>>
>>2890110
Ah it was just a coincidence then. Nice pickups by the way.
>>
>>2890117
Thanks! I had the Leiurus preordered for pickup and found the Chaerilus while I was there, always thought they were really cool little scorpions.
>>
>>2877464
have you looked into reptile expos?
I've never been to india so i can't say much where to look other than other forums
>>
What TopSoil do you use for Isopods?
do you mix it with anything?
i was looking at topsoil the other day and there was twigs and small leafs mixed in the bag that i was looking at,would that be ok?
>>
If you could own any OW tarantula which one would you choose?
>>
>>2890475
Probably either Chilobrachys sp. Electric Blue or VIetnam Blue
or
Lampropelma violaceopes

Leaning towards Lampropelma though
>>
>>2890475
For me, it's C. Huahini
>>
>>2890475
I really like M. balfouri and H. pulchripes. Probably M. balfouri though
>>
So I have a 2.5 gallon "tank" that I was using for my betta, but I moved her into a 5 gallon.

The tank has the dimensions of a five gallon, but is half the height. I was thinking of standing it up on it's side, making a plastic lid or screen lid, and having some type of insect.

Or, alternatively, I could leave it flat but put it up a bit high so I can look through the bottom while laying in bed.

Any suggestions for inhabitants or set-up? Also lighting and warmth?
>>
File: ghgh.jpg (465 KB, 1248x936)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
This little guy molted again last night
>>
>>2890475
Female H. Maculata. Such prett
>>
>>2879617
WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT
>>
>>2892449
Through my powers of deduction and, after careful examination. I have determined it to be a centipede made of crabs
>>
>>2892453
Was just about to say, looks like crabs.
>>
I don’t know if these threads can help with ants but I was wondering if this Formicarium is good. It’s in a 1 gallon tank with pumice used for the “nests”
>>
>>2892467
Here is a top view. It seems to dry out quickly though.
>>
File: isopod.png (473 KB, 515x418)
473 KB
473 KB PNG
Quack quack
>>
File: 1935-a531b193.jpg (1.04 MB, 3000x1688)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>2883596
Trying to keep eusocial wasps is insanity. Keep Ants instead. They're the same without wings, can be reasonably contained and Queens live longer than 1 year.

Keep in mind though mature colonies of most ant species need a lot of space and food.
Pic related was my Camponotus rufipes colony but I sold them since I needed the space.

Here are a couple vids that should get you started with ant-keeping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Kd8IqAiRI&t=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WErTN2e2eUk&t=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiD5Sx60CVA&t=
>>
File: carolinaWolfspider102.jpg (159 KB, 640x427)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>he doesn't have a state spider
the wolf spider is pretty based
>>
File: Beetle.webm (2.65 MB, 320x178)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB WEBM
>>
>>2894366
Which sta-
>Filename
ah
>>
>>2894371
I didn't need to see this. Interesting though
>>2892695
cute
>>2894384
South Carolina best carolina never forget that
>>
>>2892467
>>2892468
Pumice isn't a terrible material for formicaria, but I recommend you only use it with a species that likes relatively dry nests. Otherwise you're going to need to implement a hydration system or water the nest every day or so. Also, an important tip: drill holes in the side of the container before you put everything in it. It's much less likely to crack the base or knock something loose.
>>
>>2894465
Ok, thanks. I live in a desert area anyway, so most ants here should be relatively forgiving when it comes to humidity. And I will be adding a water tube soon.
>>
File: C Marshalli.jpg (164 KB, 1000x668)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>2890475
C. Marshalli/darlingi
It's cause they grow BBCs out of their heads in their best Swedish girl impression
Or M. Balfouri, since they make me think of what a siamese cat push through a spider mould would look like

I'll be able to get one or the other the next time my job sends me to a town p far away; said town has a pet shop with lots of inverts.
There aint shit in my town though.
>>
>>2894371
What's the name of this boi
>>
>>2895257
Hercules?
>>
>>2882330
These are pretty much the only insects that gross me out. I used to live in a shitty bedroom apartment that was infested with them. One night I woke up in my bed with a tickling feeling on my chest, smacked it off and fell back asleep. I wake up and me and my bed are COVERED in legs. So fucking gross.
>>
File: pill-bugs.jpg (467 KB, 1681x2001)
467 KB
467 KB JPG
Anyone keep pillbugs or sowbugs?

Will they multiply like crazy if I put a bunch in a tank together? I always loved keeping them as a kid but I only kept them over the weekend
>>
>>2895513
Females only produce a few batches of young each year, so they won't immediately explode in numbers, but after a few months you can easily go from a dozen to a few hundred.
>>
File: gigas.jpg (36 KB, 600x301)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Anyone keep millipedes? Do their tanks get stinky from the high humidity? How to avoid stinkiness?
>>
File: room1.jpg (1.16 MB, 3264x2448)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
Anyone wanna show their /invert/ rooms?
1/4
>>
File: room2.jpg (1.34 MB, 3264x2448)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>2895888
Also pardon my mess, I just moved and I haven't gotten a chance to set shit up properly.
>>
File: room3.jpg (1.4 MB, 3264x2448)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>2895890
Already gotten a couple rehousings done, but man, has it driven home how I need a proper setup for that shit.
3/4
>>
File: room4.jpg (1.65 MB, 3264x2448)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>2895891
Sling shelf for all the baby ranchos. I think I'm gonna hold off on adding new animals until I'm all settled into the new place, don't want any to escape and get lost in the mess during a rehousing.
4/4
>>
>>2885077
I had a queen with larvae, but I had to move into a house with no AC (in Las Vegas, in August) for a month and lost her ;-;
>>
>>2895883
>How to avoid stinkiness?
Activated Charcoal Air Filter
>>
>>2888398
Me too, anon! Are you starting with a single one or attempting a colony? I'd like to get a colony but haven't been able to find tank size guidelines. I have a ten gallon, but it may be too small for four or five, even with plenty of branches and hiding spots.
I'm planning on making it bioactive (hydroballs, soil, springtails) so the bottom layer of groundwater will help maintain humidity. From what I've read, mantids are much more likely to be harmed by excessive humidity than insufficient though.
>>
>>2895936
Thanks. What about changing the substrate? I was thinking of setting up a vivarium with live plants for one millipede in maybe a 10 gallon. Will I still have to change out the substrate? Trying to avoid that.

Currently I have an aquarium with tons of live plants that I barely need to do water changes for so I'm hoping to replicate that.
>>
File: 1130182310.jpg (3.92 MB, 4160x3120)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB JPG
>>
>>2895961
There are a couple more shelves bht they just have my supplies/feeders/other shit.
>>
>>2895957
Nah if you add live plants it's gonna be a closed ecosystem more or less. Might also wanna add springtails and rotting wood/leafs.
>>
>>2895982
Cool. Do you have plant types you recommend if you have done this before? I saw pothos mentioned.
>>
>>2895888
>>2895890
>>2895891
>>2895892
I wish I had a dedicated invert room.It's a goal when I get my own house. One that's temp and humidity controlled for all my little guys
>>
File: 8.png (17 KB, 512x512)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
Fuck you guys that live in places where you can buy insects from pet stores and look after them.
I live in New Zealand where there is fuck all here except for wetas but they're endangered and illegal to keep.
Same with our native species of velvet worm, it's just impossible to keep insects here.
>>
File: pour one out.gif (898 KB, 500x366)
898 KB
898 KB GIF
>>2896111
>Pour one out for kiwibro
>>
>>2896111
You got native and an introduced mantis species at least.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.