[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 036346_P_KINGURA.jpg (287 KB, 748x1044)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
>software engineer graduate
>working dead end job i hate, business system analyst with old technologies
>dont have directly applicable skills for software industry because of my job
>learning these skills in spare time is slow
>applying to jobs in spare time is stressful
>taking course sponsored by current job transitions to my spare time, also stressful
>going to gym to hold myself back from suicide
>1 day a week to play card game for social interaction to hold myself back from suicide
>getting nowhere
>cant apply to masters because my job is so simple i cant come up with reasonable intent
Long time serious girlfriend also dumped me and I feel like shit.

I don't know what to do. I feel like shit all the time because I'm using all my time to do things that result in nothing, and I have very little time left to enjoy myself. I don't even have time to see a therapist lately.

Please give me advice.
>>
OP you sound like me
I was a sysadmin at a webhost dealing with baddies all day and cracked. i got a prius and quit, started doing doordash to pay bills, coding in dead hours.

I'm not there yet but its less soul sucking than working with shit software and retards that think theyre steve jobs or some shit.

As for the girlfriend thing, stay away from women, get successful and theyll follow. If they don't then youre successful anyway so who gives a fuck what they think.

If youre doing drugs, try to lower your dependency and the suicidal voices will decrease in time. Try working out as it also helps with better self image and helped my depression lots.
>>
>>20793403
>get successful and theyll follow
>better self image
I agree with this, and this is my goal even if my soul is sucked out of me.
At the same time, having been a loner my whole life and now being in my prime age, I have a deep desire to love someone. I have a pen pal who wants to date me and we flirt a lot just to satisfy my own needs. I'd wouldn't date her seriously and I feel a little weird about it, but it's better than nothing. It fills that hole that would otherwise be empty and gnawing at me.

I started taking antidepressants again after a couple years off. I don't think I'll stop for anything this time since I think it may have helped me. It gives me something to look forward to before I sleep too because it makes me feel like I'm trying to get better.

As far as the main topic, my career, you suggest quitting for a simple non-tech job and code in my otherwise spare time?
>>
>>20793355

I advise that you stick w/ what you're doing.
>>
File: 20180618_181751.jpg (2.4 MB, 2976x2976)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
>>20793728
I'll try I guess, but I really worry I might not make it this way.
>>
similar situation here

>Tfw want to work on resume and apply to other jobs but no time/energy after working all day
>>
>>20793950
Schedule your time, and make time for it even if you have no energy for it. I'm preparing for an interview I have in 2 days too late right now after going to the gym a few hours ago, after work, doing a task I reached out to do.

I have a weekly schedule here's how it looks:
>Monday Gym
>Tuesday Apply 2 jobs
>Wednesday Gym
>Thursday Gym
>Friday Apply 2 jobs
>Saturday Apply 1 job
>Sunday TCG
Though now that I have an interview, the applying for jobs has changed to preparing for the interview. Sometimes I use my time to get ahead of schedule too, even though I'm pooped. For example, I'm preparing for my interview on Wednesday and it's Monday when I went to the gym. My job hunting time is scheduled for Tuesday. I also tried to schedule in projects but that was a bit much. I'll see if I can work it back in after the interview.
>>
>>20793842
Are those Jelly Key artisans? Also, you should really spend money on a decent set of caps before buying artisans, especially if you're buying artisans that don't even match the profile of your original crappy OEM caps.
>>
File: 20180618_182100.jpg (2.82 MB, 5312x2988)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
>>20794108
Jelly Key and Latrialum, got 2 more Jelly Key on the way.
Yeah I'm just learning about keyboard ricing still, thanks for the advice there. I've looked for decent sets of caps but none really piqued my interest. Especially hard to find translucent ones. Any suggestions where I should look?
>>
File: Swqgtdi[1].jpg (480 KB, 1920x1080)
480 KB
480 KB JPG
>>20794139
SA keycaps look pretty out of place next to OEM keys. You should grab a cheap MAXKEY SA set from a place like KBDfans. Or you could get a SP SA set but you'll have to deal with literally 1 year lead times.

I personally recommend a EnjoyPBT set like 9009 or Kuro Shiro because Cherry is way better than SA, and PBT won't shine on you like ABS. Also Extended 2048 is going to enter group buy relatively soon if that's your thing, pic related.
>>
File: 20181008_160906.jpg (2.42 MB, 2976x2976)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
>>20794171
Thanks for the recommendations, looks like I've got lots to look in to. Not really sure about some of the terminology you're using even. I'm a sucker for hiragana secondary caps, translucency, and aquatic themes. It seems some of those are not translucent but I'll keep looking.
>>
File: i_wanna_go_back.jpg (25 KB, 720x543)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>20793355
>>20793403
How get a sys admin job? Im graduating with an AAS in database management this quarter but feel clueless
>>
File: aM9fYDY[1].png (848 KB, 1500x1000)
848 KB
848 KB PNG
>>20794227
Every top-tier set isn't shine-through, so if you really want it, you could just grab a cheap set of Pudding caps, though the keycaps you have now look like a decent set of PBT caps already.

If you like blue and hiragana, GMK Blue Striker is going to enter group buy in May on Massdrop (I think), pic related. GMK Mizu is also coming at the end of the month, and that's based off water and Avatar. There's also GMK Nautilus that's another blue keycap set that's based on aquatic themes, but you'd have to go on Mechmarket for that. And there's DSA Aquanaut, but I don't know when that's entering groupbuy.

Just go on https://kbdfans.cn/ and look at stuff. Now's a good time to get into the hobby because of the crazy amount of GMK sets running right now, including GMK Wavez and GMK Metropolis. My 1 tip is to buy any keycap sets that are in groupbuy now and that you might want later, because buying them aftermarket is a pain, and even if you don't like the set that you bought, you can sell it for usually around 150% of the original price, even if it's used.
>>
>>20794232
I don't think I have a sys admin job right?
I know sys admins get jobs from technical schools well, and from administrating databases. Maybe practice full stack developing. If you make a simple application and put it live, and manage the database, that would be extremely valuable.
>>
>>20794283
>Every top-tier set isn't shine-through
Ah I might be okay settling then.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm busy to look at the caps now, but I'm saving your comments in my notes for later.
I've seen GMK Nautilus a lot but I don't think I'm a fan of that. The aquatic themes I like are more like deep sea and animals rather than boats and stuff. DSA Aquanaut looks really nice actually. I've already spent a shitload on those Jelly Keys and an anime figure but I might have to get those ones. I'll look at them all in the next couple days, but really liking those DSA Aquanauts.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.