[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: seppuku.jpg (82 KB, 1100x886)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
In Japan, when someone has brought great shame upon themselves (e.g. being unemployed), there is a tradition of killing oneself. It is seen as a way to redeem oneself for one's failures.

How are we supposed to atone for shame in the West? Should I commit seppuku? I don't see any other way of making up for shame.
>>
>>20563766
You don't atone
You just wait for someone to profit off your shame
>>
>>20563770
No but seriously, let's say I'm nearly 30 and I've been unemployed for 4 years - there's no possible way I can redeem myself is there? No woman will ever be interested in a pathetic example like me. Nobody will ever respect me.

If there are any ways I can redeem myself then please give suggestions, I would very much like to have an opportunity to redeem myself. Very much so.
>>
>>20563766
Redemption is such a f'd up thing to accept. Not only for you, but for every onlooker. Sepuku is symbolic of removal of yourself from the equation but still requires you to realize that you are no longer what you were. You only need to become part of a solution and you are no longer part of a problem. It isn't "fair" because everyone wants punishment and revenge. But that's nonsense if you really think about it.
>>
>>20563766
>(e.g. being unemployed), there is a tradition of killing oneself

Yeah that's not actually a thing. Certainly not how you're describing it. Seppuku or hara kiri was performed only by samurai who had let their master die or failed in an equally disastrous way, as well as warriors who did not want to be captured by enemy tribes. It ended around wwii. No one is cutting themselves open and getting their heads chopped off because they're between jobs.
>>
>>20563803
The point is that suicide is seen by traditionalists in Japan as a way to atone for shameful behaviour. Perhaps it would be better if there was another way to atone, but I can't think of any other.

>>20563807
Seppuku is influential upon attitudes towards suicide though. Seppuku itself might be rare nowadays but the idea of suicide being honourable, and a method of redemption, remains. And yes it seems Japanese people are killing themselves due to unemployment.
>Factors in suicide include unemployment, periods of economic stagnation or recession... and social pressures.
>Historically, Japan has been a male-dominated society with strong family ties and correlating social expectations; however, the bursting of the bubble which brought about the death of the "jobs-for-life" culture has left these heads of families unexpectedly struggling with job insecurity or the stigma of unemployment.
>The unemployed accounted for 57 percent of all suicides, the highest rate of any occupation group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Japan
>>
>>20563842
>but the idea of suicide being honourable, and a method of redemption, remains.
You fuckin weeb no one is proud in Japan when someone from their family kills themselves. People kill themselves there for the same reasons as anywhere else in the world it's not seppuku or hara kiri. It's just suicide. Don't romanticize it.
>>
>>20563855
I'm not a weeb. I was just looking up how to atone for major shame in life. And I came across this stuff.

>no one is proud in Japan when someone from their family kills themselves
They're not PROUD but they may see it as a morally responsible way to atone for shameful actions.

>The general attitude toward suicide has been termed "tolerant", and in many occasions suicide is seen as a morally responsible action.
>In Japanese culture, for example, there are basically two types of suicide: honorable and dishonorable suicide. Honorable suicide is a means of protecting the reputation of one's family after a member has been found guilty of a dishonorable deed such as embezzlement or flunking out of college...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Japan
>>
>>20563879
Please go talk to Japanese people instead of mistaking actual suicide for literal seppuku. As if being the family whose son killed themselves is better than the family whose son didn't get into the top college.
>>
>>20563842
>depressed dude can't see another way besides suicide
wow what a surprise. it's almost like depression is some sort of mental disorder that is well known to cause irrational thinking
>>
>>20563842
>Perhaps it would be better
If you simply correct behavior.
>>
>>20563917
It's not a """""""mental disorder""""""", it's a rational response to extremely dire circumstances.
>>
Dude calm down. Do you want to talk?
>>
OP, I'll be 26 this year and I've never had a job. Not because I haven't wanted one but because I'm disabled, I even had to quit school early because of my disability. I haven't even left my house in around 7 years because of it, too. I know what you're feeling and it's fucking awful. People always say suicide isn't the answer, idk if that's the case, especially in regards to my circumstances but I'm sure you have a much greater chance at succeeding than I do so don't give up. There's still other ways to redeem yourself, other options.
>>
>>20563766
Japan is suck a fucking weird country, they have all these strict traditions and routines and yet they're mostly atheist.
>>
>>20563766
One of the ways I thought about killing myself and has been going to a Alaska or somewhere else with mountains, climbing one alone, and committing seppuku up there. Not only would I die seeing a beautiful sight, there would be several things that could kill me: organ damage/failure, blood loss, altitude, and cold.
I'd still probably shoot myself before doing this, but I would respect anyone who does commit seppuku or really any form of suicide (assuming they succeed)
>>
>>20565231
>tradition bad!
>>
>>20563766
>conflating seppuku and unemployment in modern japan
>using japanese culture as an ideal for dealing with ANY emotion

pure delusion, OP. Go outside more.
>>
>>20563766
c'mon my weeb friend. we don't do things like that in the west
you know very well that the Lord is merciful and always forgives
He will give you a chance at redemption if you have faith

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.