[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1302967511890.png (96 KB, 226x219)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>have watched anime for 10 years
>currently at the point where you pick up 3~ seasonal anime and just rewatch old shit for nostalgia
Does it get better? I feel like I can't enjoy new stuff anymore and feel bad about it.
>>
I was like this, then I switched to manga
>>
>>183262532
It's normal, eventually you might hit the point where you stop watching anime all together for a year or two. Then you rewatch old favourites again and might discover a couple shows worth watching that aired in these last year(s).
>>
>>183262532
I guarantee you there are some great classics that you haven't watched
>>
>>183262532
same. you just have better shit to do and (maybe) finally found what kind of show you want to watch after watching shit for 10 years.
>>
What's wrong with this? Literally that just means you're not a retard with no standards.
>I'll let any studio fuck me, in the ass, in the mouth, in my peehole, doesn't matter
That's you if you watch more than a handful of seasonals
>>
>>183262532
It's been a while since I've actually watched anime. Nowadays, I mainly just stick to manga and VNs.
>>
>>183262532
I've been watching anime "seriously" for more than ten years now, and I'm following 15 series this season (last season a lot less, it was a weak season).
The time you waste rewatching old shit could be used to watch hidden gems you constantly miss in favor of few safe choices. No wonders you're bored.
>>
I usually watch 3 shows a season and spend the rest catching up on my backlog, reading manga or rewatching anime films or OVAs mostly (I rarely rewatch shows unless it's something I really loved and is short enough like Luluco). Watching all those shows each season is a fucking meme. Just catch up on them later if you missed any gems. I missed HnK airing because it was CG but I tried it out later and loved it. It's not like shows disappear after they finish airing and if they're genuinely good enough or have an ongoing manga you can generally find or create some discussion here. No need to have an internal crisis over it.
>>
>>183263441
OP isn’t even watching old shows from his backlog though. He’s rewatching old shows he has already seen.
>>
>>183262532
I don't even watch anime anymore and just mostly read manga.
>>
>>183262532
I find that I get into phases where I'm very into anime, get burned out, take a break from most of it, and repeat. Just try not to force yourself, maybe find more ways to enjoy free time. I guess a good mindset would be to only watch for enjoyment/entertainment, as obvious as that sounds I think many people feel obligation just because they're used to always watching anime.
>>
>>183263608
Oh yeah. He shouldn't do that. He should go look for older shows instead. Watching too many seasonal shows as they air can really burn you out which happened to me for a while and probably happened to him. Discussion on /a/ for most seasonal shows is also usually fucking awful as /a/ sometimes forgets to have fun with them and it usually just turns into shitflinging over it being amazing or terrible or whinging about fanbases or reddit. Relaxed and enjoyable discussion is rare. I really want another VVV. It was garbage but those were fun times.
>>
Same situation and wtf I just decided to lurk /a/ today too
>>
File: 1547108317338.jpg (430 KB, 1023x1080)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
>>183262532
>have watched anime for over 10 years
>currently picking 15~ seasonal anime and rewatch old shit for nostalgia
You're the problem.
>>
>>183262532
20 years and still strong. Just not the kind of guy that will watch the whole catalog since I also need to keep up with manga, LN, WN, doujin, VN, vocaloid, and other shit
>>
>>183262532
Same as you, and I'm already watching 10 anime this season. That's not counting a few I tried and wasn't interested in, or all the ones that haven't aired yet. It gets better if you actually like anime. If you're feeling burnt out then take one season off and come back again.
>>
>>183262532
I thought I would be able to relate to high schoolers forever but its starting to get pretty hard
>>
>>183262532
I'm at 0-1 shows per season.
>>
>>183262532
30 years watching anime here, still on 10-20 per season, never more, never less, enjoy them all.
>>
>>183264166
>Tripfag
No. It's you
>>
>>183262532
i just did the hare hare yukai to see if i remember it. I did that dance last 11 years ago.

I just try not to remember how much older i am than the characters i'm watching anymore.
>>
You graduate to almost exclusively reading Manga or VNs.
>>
>>183262532
i was the same, there were a couple of seasons where i only picked up 1 or 2 shows max, so what i did was go back to old anime and watched Ashita no Joe, all of Gundam UC, Bubblegum Crisis and Romeo's Blue Skies plus other shows i dont remember right now but it help get rid of the modern anime fatigue. now im back to 8 shows per season, plus sometimes watching old shows like GTO
>>
>>183265718
>VN's
Really sucks being an EOP
>>
>>183262532
I had the opposite problem after about 9 or 10 years; I watched nothing but seasonal shows (often picking up between 5 and 12 depending on the season).
>>
>>183263246
>last season a lot less, it was a weak season
What are you on about? Fall 2018 was an average season at worst. Frankly 2018 was a fantastic year for anime with only the mediocre Summer 2018 keeping it from being the best in years.
>>
>>183264401
This hit me last year. Doesn't help that I relate more to the parents (and especially the teachers) of our protagonists than I actually do the main cast.
>>
>>183262532
Who is this character?
>>
OP I'm in a similar position, but I wind up watching not even the 3 seasonal anime. I don't have time between work and other commitments. Instead I download literally everything so I have it ready when I have a spare moment (almost never), and then I watch an episode or two.

I did marathon bunny girl sempai last week so I guess I'm working through it, I just don't watch it as it airs.
>>
>>183262532
Holy shit i wish i could still enjoy 3 seasonal im at the point where i only complete about 3 new shows a year since i just drop 90% every season, i try i really do i have plenty of free time and can even watch anime at work but its all so mediocre
>>
>>183262532
I'm 15 years in and I'm watching ~30 shows per season while also rewatching old anime
>>
>>183262532
Will hit 10 years of watching seasonal shit as it airs during summer, It's nice to keep up, but you can do whatever the fuck you want, also personally I'm always trying to catch up on old shows
>>
>>183267401
doushio-chan, hero on inquirious pondering
>>
>>183265718
>VNs
If they are as shit as their adaptations, I don't see how that could be an upgrade.
>>
>>183262532
Why don't you start reading VNs or doing something different anon...you know there are a lot of weeb shit out there
>>
Haven't been watching anime for long but yh, I burn myself out easily. I think I'm fine with watching seasonal shows though they mostly tend to be bad but I have a problem with trying to watch completed shows. I end up binging and then feeling like shit afterwards.

Reading manga or LN is a bit more tolerable for me.
>>
>>183263441
Bad thing is when you miss awesome threads for not watching when it was airing, so if any seasonal is a bit popular on /a/ i might give it a try
>>
>>183262532
I have only watched anime for like a year and a month so there's that.
>>
if you aren't watching that much seasonal shows anymore, maybe you need to watch more seasonal shows.
>>
>>183268791
That doesn't help. It's better to take a break and catch up on backlog or stop. It's supposed to be an enjoyable time sink, not something you're obliged to do. If people don't like anime they should stop watching it and leave /a/.
>>
>>183268159
Isn't that QUALITY Taiga?
>>
Airing shows vs completed shows, what is your priority everyone?
>>
File: happy_phos.png (124 KB, 604x473)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
I used to watch every show from the season. Maybe theres a good show out there that I missed, so I would watch everything. A friend asked for recommendations and I recommended a few, he asked for more and I didn't have any I felt were particularly good. It was then that I realised most of what I whatched was a waste of time, they weren't memorable or good, they were mostly terrible or passable at best. There are only so many good anime out there, especially when the industry just copy the same trends and characters because people eat that shit up.
>Does it get better?
It doesn't, you don't need to watch every show just because some people do and anime is their only hobby. If thats what they like, good for them. Watch the ones you find interesting and if you don't like them, then just drop them. I still come here and lurk to see what people are reading/watching and check it out, but thats about it. People will say something is good, but it will most likely be trash, like Gridman and Bunny Girl last season. You can still find a few gems here and there though.
>>
Been watching anime for over 40 years.

>currently at the point where you pick up 3~ seasonal anime and just rewatch old shit for nostalgia
Sounds about right.
>Does it get better?
No
>>
>>183269295
>Been watching anime for over 40 years.
How?
>>
I just cycle through other things so I don't get overexposed.

VNs, Manga, regular literature, visiting /ic/ to pick up weeb drawing, picking up photography (of weeb locations), picking up video editing (to make vacations comps look like an eva episode preview), picking up /fit/ so I can be worthy of my waifu, l-light novels.

Also, I watch current season anime in vrchat with a bunch of friends/anons. The quality isn't the greatest, sure, but the watching-shit-on-a-couch-with-friends experience is great.
>>
>>183269295
Why is everything so bad?
>>
>>183269255
Airing shows but I try to watch at least one episode of something old every day.
>>
OP, you're at your limit as a consumer.

You've become so engrossed in the medium that you're becoming overly critical of everything because you're an "expert" on tropes and nitpicky about quality.

A new domain or expanding your interests into other aspects is important to fend off monotony like that.
>>
>>183262532
I switched to manga since there is more freedom for authors to make interesting stories.
Last great anime I watched was Monster.

Anime is mostly full of stories made for adults with the mind of a teenager filled with bland characters and stupid plot scenarios to sell anime merchandise.
>>
>>183269755
I try to balance both but it's just easier for me to watch airing shows. Can't manage my time when it comes to completed shows, though there are still a bunch I want to see.
>>
File: masterkeaton.jpg (33 KB, 640x480)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>183269856
I wish we had more realistic anime with believable characters.
Stuff like Master Keaton was very interesting and is one of the few anime that delved into plot scenarios outside of Japan and did it well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdqCtt5qlug
>>
>>183269255
None since even if it's completed my autism dictates that each episode should be given a rest period between each viewing. I don't like binge watching
>>
I haven't watched more than 5 shows in a season in my entire life and I think of anyone that does as mentally ill.
People watching 20 shows a season have no taste.
>>
>I'm an oldfag and all modern anime sucks
Uh huh, heard that one before. I've also been watching anime for over ten years and I still watch and enjoy about 30 shows per season on average, even while holding down a full time job and having other hobbies. Sure, most anime aren't going to be life-changing masterpieces or anything, but with very few exceptions I find that every show has something to offer that I can appreciate and that's enough for me. If that's not enough for you then you either need to expand your horizons or look for a new hobby. Don't become a bitter old coot who only watches anime out of habit just to complain about it on /a/.

>>183270093
Who needs taste? I get to enjoy things and you don't. That's your loss.
>>
>>183270188
If every piece of garbage tastes like honey to you then great for you, just don't expect people to be able to relate to that unless they're also insane.
>>
>>183270001
Master Keaton is an anime for a more mature crowd who have lived life outside of their basement.

I especially like the episode where the Keaton visits a village in the present plot line and it draws comparisons when he visited the same place as a kid.

Or the story about the girl whose father escaped from East Germany and promised to sneak her daughter and mother in.
She doesn't hear back from him and her mother ends up dying.
She grows up and the Berlin Wall falls.
She finds her father who ends up having another family with a child.
She poses as a babysitter to the family and decides to kill the child as revenge against her father who abandoned her.

Also the episode of the teacher who still held class during WWII despite the building being destroyed from a bomb.
In the present plot line he is a very old man at the end of his life and is surprised by a gathering of all his old students. It was such a heart warming scene.

Not many anime do such subtle character interactions like this.

Also loved the music in Master Keaton. It fits the setting perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJf9Vf4OUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbIerP8dOp8
>>
>Remember the bad old days when you could only afford a VHS with two or three episodes on it from one series, or if you're lucky, a collection that's on sale at some convention

Today's three-episode test used to cost $20 or more
>>
>>183270054
So you watch like one episode a day or something? I find it hard to manage time for completed shows, always end up binging and then feeling terrible afterwards.
>>
>>183262532
nothing wrong with appreciating the classics.
>>
>>183262532
wait until you have watched anime for 30 years
>>
>>183270425
30 shows per season is a ridiculous number, but he has a point. Cunts who don't even watch anime are constantly complaining on /a/ about anime being shit nowadays, even though this decade is ten times better than all the previous decades combined.
>>
OLD GOOD
NEW BAD
>>
>>183270678
I don't shitpost shows I'm not watching and I obviously don't agree with shitposting threads about shows I'm not watching.
I've had only a handful of seasons over the years when I wasn't watching any current show. It just means I'm not on /a/ when it happens.
>>
>>183262532
most of the seasonal anime is trash, just read manga
>>
>>183270616
Usually between 24 hours yeah. I just like to let the episode soak in me and appreciate the show more. Like making an intimate relationship with it I guess. I'm not really chasing the numbers of how much I completed. I just want every show to be special for me.
>>
That sounds like a healthy way to enjoy anime.
More so than speedwatching 10+ shows every year to pad out your watch list.
>>
>>183271930
*every season
>>
>>183262532
Read. Develop a taste for whacky josei shit.
>>
>>183262532
>Does it get better?
If you can find friends with similar tastes, or who understand your tastes, they can filter shows for you and recommend things you'll probably like.
>>
>>183272103
you're literally retarded. you're also a newfaggot go back
>>
>>183268716
>Bad thing is when you miss awesome threads for not watching when it was airing
Not really my greatest concern missing those shit
>>
>>183262532
i know this feel, I think the "recommendation charts" we have don't help, you get in to anime, find out which genres you like, then proceed to watch all the best shows from said genre

After you've done that, other mediums are generally big enough to go and find other cool stuff, but anime isn't, it's either good enough to make it on to the chart, or steaming garbage.
>>
File: 1476449428568.png (781 KB, 1417x1080)
781 KB
781 KB PNG
I often think that most of the “anime doesn’t have the same appeal anymore” is caused by a lack of specialization within the medium. Anime isn’t a genre; there’s almost no similarity between a show like Endro and Mob Psycho. So there’s little reason to pick them both up this season other than they seem “good” or popular on /a/. Of course if you try to compare every single well-known anime each season/year you’re going to get this weird, confusing mess that naturally leads to “everything is mediocre” statements.

Instead of trying to watch everything, pick a broad genre/theme/style that you like (CGDCT, romcom, dark/serious, etc.) and exclusively pick up shows in that catergoey and little else. I guarantee your anime watching experience will drastically improve. It’s better to be a mile deep and inch wide than a inch deep and mile wide and all that.
>>
File: dekinaichan.jpg (389 KB, 2000x2256)
389 KB
389 KB JPG
>>183267151
I warned you
>>
File: 1474057075546.jpg (31 KB, 700x394)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>183262532
>have watched anime for 15 years
>currently at the point where you pick up 30~ seasonal anime and rewatch old shit for nostalgia
Feels good.
>>
>>183262532
This is how I've always been. There's hardly ever more that 2-3 shows worth watching each season.
>>
>>183262532
I'm feeling something similar. The anime I've been watching lately have all failed to recreate the initial impressions of wonder (some call it "post-anime depression", it's a stupid term but it fits) I used to get a few years ago.
The last time I really felt empty and nostalgic after watching a series was two years ago. Since then, even though I've watched some stuff I enjoyed a lot (Haibane Renmei, Ping Pong, Hinamatsuri, some others), none have given me that feeling.
It sucks, I want to go back to that time when anime really struck me deep.
>>
File: 1464845870415.jpg (65 KB, 418x279)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>made great progress on my backlog last year
>despite this it's currently larger than it was twelve months ago
>>
>>183276346
I can relate. I've been watching on average 100 eps a week for the past 2 or 3 months and my backlog is 50% longer than it was before.
>>
>>183276346
>>183276535
>having a backlog at all
Just watch it all
>>
How many anime have you guys completed to be feeling this way?
>>
File: 1518781950301.jpg (43 KB, 340x319)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>183277090
>>
>>183277090
The Digibro way
>>
File: 1491699216951.jpg (1.18 MB, 2692x2048)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
I have watch seasonal anime for 9 years. Nowadays, I went from 3 eps rule to never pick up any show that:
- homobait.
- Light novel, manga adapt.
- Shounen.
- Sport.
- Cute girl doing cute things.
- Slice of life
Then I picked up some a long the way if it was mentioned by /a/ a lot(yuru camp, kemono friends, GGO...). Also, original anime are always the funniest shit to watch with /a/
>>
>>183262532
I feel the opposite. I have a huge list of old anime I want to get around to watching, but I also like watching seasonal anime with /a/ and that takes up almost all of my time.
>>
I don't even do the 3 episode rule anymore. Sometimes I don't even finish the first episode. I don't like wasting my time, but so many shows follow the philosophy that the beginning must be boring because, man, it's totally worth it later, trust me! I have struggled through many boring openings and sometimes end up enjoying myself, but I can definitively say that every single one of my favorite shows was interesting from the get go.
>>
>tfw been watching anime for 10+ years and have never really dived into seasonal shows
I always gather shows that have good ratings or are notorious about something in their plot.
>>183278243
Boy was I glad I followed that one anon's "trust me it get's good after 20 episodes lol" when I was watching HnK.
>>
>>183278243
Yeah it's not worth it most of the time.
>>
>>183278281
Houseki no Kuni doesn't even have 20 episodes...
>>
File: 1529444398413.jpg (75 KB, 1200x675)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>183278393
I smirked
>>
>>183277680
Digibrony has an obnoxiously large backlog though
>>
>>183277918
Pretty much exactly the same for me. Just replace cute girl shows and sol with isekai
>>
File: malshit.png (3 KB, 185x105)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>183262532
You are doing great, anon.
Just enjoy stuff at your own speed, it's not a race.
Instead of rewatching you can watch additional stuff like OVA's, mangas or something similar to the thing you want to rewatch or from the same author.
I've had a year like that too, but the more times go, the less srandarts I have.
Now I'm mostly the seasonal slut being able to enjoy almost everything that has tropes I love or threads fun enough to shitpost in. Don't be mindbroken slut like me.
>>
>>183278619
Why don't you like sports? Those are usually great
>>
>>183278637
Your watching list is almost as big as my completed
>>
>>183269769
>You've become so engrossed in the medium that you're becoming overly critical of everything because you're an "expert" on tropes and nitpicky about quality.
that's not a fault of OP as a consumer, that's a fault of OP as a pseud
>>
>>183262532
Feels good to watch anime for 10+ years and still enjoy it very much.
Don't force yourself to watch something if you don't want to.
>>
>lol lol I only watch 4 shows a year, I drop everything and don't pick up anything epic
Kill yourselves, /v/ermin.
>>
File: check.png (493 KB, 560x640)
493 KB
493 KB PNG
>>
File: sacchan.png (567 KB, 1280x1280)
567 KB
567 KB PNG
>>
File: em.png (340 KB, 494x627)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
>>
>>183278709
It's a mix of my backlog I picked up on impulse and airing shows.
I usually pick up 15-20 shows per season (and drop some along the way), but now there are more and more of them airing and I'm not even able to check all of the first episodes
for some "surprises of the season".
>>
File: '.png (760 KB, 698x720)
760 KB
760 KB PNG
>>
Just read manga at this point since most anime coming out now is just advertisement for their manga or light novels. It is becoming quite rare how we're not getting original projects anymore that aren't already based on existing franchises.
>>
>>183278688
I'm the guy with Re:creators pic. Sport really is just shounen.
>>
>>183262532
After a decade watching, I kinda stopped watching anime and started reading manga and novels. Most anime is just a badly produced advertisement. I still like originals though
>>
>>183279001
That might be confirmation bias. Plenty of old anime were based on manga or books like Record of Lodoss War or Nobody's Boy.
>>
>>183277918
>my rule is that I don't watch anime
Good for you I guess
>>
>>183279643

Even rarer we get anime based on western literature which is something I'd love to see happen more.
>>
>>183279845
>>183279845
Shit, you are right. I should wrote isekai instead of light novel adapt. There are a lot show that I enjoy are also manga adapt (houseki no kuni, genshiken...). I probably think about shounen when included manga adapt to the list.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.