[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 1538293458155.png (39 KB, 512x512)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
Maya:
Your opinion of the software.
>>
>>696987
It's owned by Autodesk so it contains bloatware
>>
it's the only decent rigging and animation software and that's really depressing, because it sucks at everything else, which means you have to export your stuff to other packages, which is pure hell.
>>
>>696987
Industry standard. Get used to it.
>>
>>697042

That's why I like Maya LT but go-z wont fucking work with it.
>>
>>696987
been working in it for 10 years, never had an issue with it considering I only use it for box modelling, rigging, and animation.
>>
>>697042

bloatware? You mean tools artists need to reach maximum quality. Not that you blendies understand what that means.
>>
File: ksenket03.jpg (279 KB, 798x798)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>>696987
crashy and clunky
I dun leik it
>>
>>696987
only viable solution for rigging unless you want to rip all of your hair out
>>
File: them.png (2.04 MB, 3840x2160)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB PNG
hmmm I wonder who could be behind this tutorial.
>>
>>696987

It has some of the best retopo tools but the modeling part sucks ass. Doesn's make sense. I prefer 3DS Max.
>>
>>696987
I've been using it for five years which is when I started, I think they were about to introduce version 2015, which is when they brought the modeling toolkit or the new UV tools over, I don't really remember.

+ Box, hard surface and even some simple organic modeling is all great thanks to the toolkit and all the general tool additions/improvements they've added over the years.

+ Rigging is about as straightforward as it can get provided you know what you're doing, at least the software won't ever get in your way of that.

+ There's all the tools for animation you could hope for, previewing is easy thanks to playblast and scene references.

- It feels legitimately bloated with a ton of shit I don't ever interact with but it's still there. This is the software on my PC with the hands-down longest startup out of any of the other ones in here, and I have an M.2 drive powering the whole system.

- I'm not one to say it's a crashy mess because I genuinely think you can mitigate all of that by just keeping your scene and outliner clean of any empty groups and other history junk. That being said, every now and then I do come across a crash out of a totally innocuous action. I've crashed out of opening the hypershade, selecting a mesh, moving vertices in soft-select, and even undoing an action. It only really happens about once every two weeks but it's a thing nonetheless.

- They ruined unfolding of UV shells in 2019 so I had to roll back to 2018. I really don't get how it works but it was perfect before and now it's trash.

I think whatever percentage of the software you use to model and animate is legitimately good. The scripting language gets a bad rep but at least you can make addons for it too. Everything else is kind of a joke. They could gut all of that out, make developing addons a bit more comfortable, and release a version like that for free (not that LT garbage), and it would seriously give Blender a workout in the basement hobbyist market share.
>>
>>696987
A necessary burden sometimes. It's wonderful when it works and absolutely miserable when not.

At the moment there is nothing really out there to replace it.
>>
>>697064
Explain how's Autodesk desktop app helps in anything
>>
>>697141
It helps with keeping everything up to date, if that's your speed. Me personally, I uninstall it as soon as I can.

The Autodesk Genuine Service on the other hand, now that's a pain in the ass to remove.
>>
>>697075

I wish max had proper symmetry tools. Having to use the modifier is ironically destructive if you have a nearly completed model.
>>
>>696987
Clunky, outdated, slow and 50% bugs.
>>
Can you see normal and displacement maps in its viewport using any shader?
>>
>>697122
There is a setting for the unfold UV tool in 2019 that let's you switch between 'legacy' and whatever the new method is called
>>
>>697142
Well software could check that after you launch it. You don't need some fishy program that launches with system and runs in background all the time

Explain that on /g/ how's that type software is useful
>>
File: 1564314764202.png (72 KB, 698x658)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>697150
seething blendlet, what was your income last year
>>
Been working with 3ds max for over 10 years and can definitely feel its popularity waning, the idea of having to switch programs is terrifying.
>>
>>697701
>the idea of having to switch programs is terrifying
Spoken like a true boomer would.
>>
>>697701
this
I'm young, but the tought of having to dedicate years of my life being a expert on a unique tool just to realize in a couple of years ,they can make up a new tool that is easier and avaliable for everybody is terifying. and by the looks of it, shit is getting easier by day
>>
>>697703
A boomer that probably eats regularly...and not just instant Ramen
>>
>>697723
>that probably eats regularly
Not anymore if they change the pipeline from under their feet.
>>
>>697725
Change to blender? Unlikely.
>>
>>697727
It doesn't have to be Blender. But pipelines are slow to change anyway, unless some groundbreaking technology comes in... or some suit retard cancels a product line in favor of a somewhat similar other one.
>>
>>697706
so that's why everyone here is attacking blender, it finally makes sense now
>>
>>698169
Blender is attacked because it crashes all the time.
>>
>>696987
blender won
>>
File: tenor.gif (47 KB, 220x259)
47 KB
47 KB GIF
>>698174

Blendlets don't even have smoothing groups after what, 8+ years?
>>
>>698176
Maya, Cinema4d and XSI don't have smoothing groups either, so what's your point?
>>
File: smooth.jpg (40 KB, 242x150)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>698185
The point is that you should all switch to M A X
>>
>>698185
Image using Maya or C4D for modelling lmaooo
>>
It's free and it works. I wish they'd do something about gimbal lock though.
>>
>>698398
>I wish they'd do something about gimbal lock though.
???
>>
Awesome software that I have been using for several years now.

Functional
Easy to learn
Makes Sense
Doesnt crash a lot unless you deserve it, such as undoing fast in a large scene.
Can handle millions of polygons.
Updates are almost always welcome, such as the new multi-cut tool a coulple of years back

It's all around just a great software. It was made to mimic the software that pixar uses, but pixar and dreamworks now use their own in-house software.
>>
File: pfffff.jpg (55 KB, 480x375)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
I’ll qualify my comments below: I’ve only been using Maya in production for a year and we do very limited amounts of character animation.
IMO Maya is a terrible choice if you are somewhere in the middle between a student/freelancer and a large studio. As an indie you are not likely to be pushing the software hard enough to expose all its flaws, and as a high-end shop you can afford full time programmers to code around the bugs and missing functionality. We're a small 5-person studio and so far it's been very frustrating transitioning from Lightwave (which also sucks, but for different reasons).

A lot of features that are supposed to aid in production and help you manage large data sets are full of bugs, limitations, or just half-baked. The referencing system is a good idea, but the implementation isn’t good: reference edits breaking materials, not being able to remove a sub-references because the parent is a reference, not being able to change render layers because of unloaded references, references taking orders of magnitude longer to re-load or unload than they took to load in the first place. Assembly Definitions were another good thought, but useless in practice because they can't be referenced or used with render layers (lol good one AD). The Node Editor and Hypershade are absolutely atrocious. I don’t understand why you’re not able to auto-cast floats to vectors and vice versa. The pinning workarounds suck as well, how about you just stop moving my nodes you cunts.
>>
>>698433
More faggy stuff:
Maya being slow as shit. I’ve gotten used to having the task manager open, watching a single lonely thread grind away. Corrupted preferences, still an issue after years apparently. Constant crashes, sometimes in the middle of a save. Maya shitters will blame the users, but the truth is Maya simply crashes more often than other 3D applications. The only app I can remember crashing more frequently are the early beta versions of Modo. The various systems that make up Maya seem very delicate and prone to breaking, there’s just a lot of places where things can go wrong. I think that’s just down to the codebase being very old.

In conclusion FUCK NIGGERS. FUCK AUTODESK.
>>
All I'm getting from this thread is that Maya actually *is* good for basic and intermediate things but most people are too tsun-tsun to admit it so they blame the crashes instead.
>>
>>698464

Those are just blendlets being unable to cope with the fact that their cult will never become an INDUSTRY STANDARD
>>
>>698398
Gimbal lock can be fixed by changing xyz->zxy
>>
>>698494
Gimbal lock can't be fixed, only alleviated, and on a per-case basis.
>>
Might be the "Industry Standard" but it has Autodesk's Bloatware and random crashes. Yet the industry as a whole must be paying a shit ton of money. Addons are pretty nice desu
>>
File: 8d1ccf09ees26be658.jpg (16 KB, 665x869)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
last best version before it becomes crash-happy
>>
File: phonesnap.jpg (55 KB, 625x624)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
its been my one and only friend since i started 3 months ago
>>
When I used to use Maya at work, I fucking hated it and the biggest reason was the crashes.
Even crashes while saving. It's fucking atrocious.
>>
>>696987
Autodesk and Adobe are to be shunned for their subscription policies. These suites deserve to be pirated. Otherwise, great software.
>>
>>698508
Pretty much. Gimbal lock is a flaw of how euler angles work, put simply they fall apart when applied to 3 dimensions. The only sure fire way to eliminate gimbal lock is to use quaternions, but then you lose interpolation control
>>
>>698508
Quaternions do not gimbal lock, learn to use them if they're available for rotations in whatever you're using

>>699491
Tho attempting to control the interpolation curves of Euler angles becomes witchcraft pretty quickly too.
There's a lot of stuff one can do to tell quaternions how to rotate but you'll need scripting.
>>
Anons, should i go with max or maya? As far as i understand maya is better for animation and character stuff while max is better for hardsurface
>>
>>699432
>Autodesk and Adobe are to be shunned for their subscription policies.
Those prices are understandable, assuming that they cater to the studio market. Of course they don't make sense for freelancers/hobbyists, and I hope at least Autodesk makes their "indie pricing experiment" a permanent thing.
>>
>>699521

That's pretty much it. Maya has non destructive symmetry for characters and some basic sculpting tools to push and pull stuff. Max has great grid tools for environment stuff and the modifier stack for some procedural stuff for environments.
>>
>>697043
what about blender with the blenrig plugin?
>>
>>697073
why don't you like tophatwaffle anon? he's a cool guy ;(
>>
>>697207
You can just set the Autodesk App to disabled on boot?

Also isnt there a installer that doesnt feature the desktop app?
>>
>>700320
He is just retarded. Of course you can disable the booting of the program, or just uninstall it right after installing the main program.
It takes 3 clicks and 10 seconds.
Yes its annoying and it would be better if it weren't there in the first place but spending time bitching and moaning about it on an Mongolian throat singing board instead of just wiping it from your computer is really stupid as is pretending it is a serious issue.
>>
>>700326
...but m-muh freedoms!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.