[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 1567128999737.png (47 KB, 650x773)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
I can't go back to blendur after trying zbrush and substance and professional tools.

I feel like soiled and like a sellout to my core beliefs.

FOSS is just too shit
>>
Don't you need a decent modeler in-between your sculpts and texturing? I like blender but I usually bring things straight into substance for painting then plug the maps into the bdsf. It's just faster.
>>
export your scenes as alembic from maya. Import alembic into blender. Render in blender.

Now you have rendering (((speed))) and dont have to deal with shitty the shitty blender fbx importer
>>
>>696978
>I feel like soiled and like a sellout to my core beliefs.
No need to. Blender was proprietary once, and became free software only after failing in the market. What you are doing now is closing the cycle, letting everything return to its natural state. Embrace the industry, as it was meant to be.
>>
>>696978
Keep lying you little falseflagging mayacuck.
Most people who use Blender also use other tools. Substance Painter is a must, though Zbrush is less useful now that Blender's sculpting tools have gotten so good.
>>
>>696992
he didn't say anything about maya
>>
>>696995
We both know why (you) didn't say anything abotu Maya and pretended to ever having tried Blender.
>>
>>696978
Nothing prevents you from using Marvelous, Substance and Zbrush with Blender.
>>
>>696997
>Nothing prevents you
Morals do.
>>
File: 1562120590021.gif (2.34 MB, 1336x1358)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB GIF
>>696992

>Blender's sculpting tools have gotten so good
>>
>>697017
Why do half of those look as if she's riding dick? Is this how anime works?
>>
>>697020
yes
>>
>>696978

You just realized how shitty Blender and FOSS is. Most blendlets who keep trying to push blender down everyone's throats just don't know any better.
>>
>>697017
They're basically the same as Zbrush now, Anon.
>>
File: 1539359091820.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>697094
>>
>>697100
Yes, just go back to your anime, Anon. That's probably for the best.
>>
>>697100
What's missing, and be honest with yourself and everyone here.
The biggest reason I don't sculpt in blender is cos of performance, not because it's missing anything I need.
>>
>>697335
>What's missing, and be honest with yourself and everyone here.

Polygroups, advanced masking tools, clipping tools, projection, dynamesh, live bools, auto retopo with guides, projection master, feels like real clay, snapshots, project primitive, and the list goes on.

Only a deluded blendlet would think Blender's sculpting tools are nearly as good as Zbrush's. Then again, your standards are so low that you probably never use anything else than the standard brush.
>>
>>697337
>Blender missing projection
Holy shit, you gotta be fucking kidding me.
It's literally unusable.
>>
>>697335
On top of everything the other guy said - 100x more different brushes. I don't understand how can you work with only a few brushes Blender provides. I've sculpted in it, but honestly every time I switch back to Zbrush, it becomes so much easier to get the shapes I want.
>>
>>697340

>Cherrypicking a single point I've made

Never change blendlets. Blender's sculpting is ass and the fact that you think it's even nearly as good as Zbrush makes you look like a complete retard.
>>
>>697344
Way to go, retard.
If Blender truly is missing the ability to project detail, it literally is unusable.
Since I don't give a shit about Blender and you made the point, I assumed you knew and could confirm whether I did or didn't misinterpret it, not go full retard over it.
>>
>>697346

I thought you were being a sarcastic blendlet.
>>
>>696997
this is what I do and it's a good workflow.

>>696978
>>696992
you can sculpt just fine in Blender but I strongly prefer ZBrush for sculpting. I mean ZBrush has been developed for the one specific purpose of sculpting so of course it's better. ZBrush just has better sculpting tools and the main thing is that ZBrush can handle millions of polygons compared to Blender which struggles.

ZBrush --> MD --> Blender (retopo) --> substance --> Cycles render
>>
>>697407
This is my workflow too, I enjoy it.
>>
>>697344
>>697346
>>697340
You can project detail in Blender, so you can both stop pretending to ever having used the software now.
It also has every other feature you listed, apart from remeshing with guidelines.

>>697343
Fucking use google. There are a million custom brushes out there for you to download.
The default brushes are abit shit, I'll give you that. The new defaults in the sculpt branch are much improved. Especially the falloff.
>>
>>697407
Dynamesh is more or less the ultimate tool for unshitting meshes. Until blender can help unfuck bad topology it'll be inferior for sculpting.
>>
So much whining about Blender on this board, it's incredible
>>
>>697895
It's meta memetics it gets very horny sexual.
>>
>>697017
I'm a blender user and I tell you to me sculpting in blender is a 1/10 its torture and unnatural shit for anything other then deforming anvils.

You seriously need to ignore 100% of the tutorials and invent your own workflow in blender. At this point blender is great for modeling machines and swords however you seriously need to get the right workflow for it and literally no blender tutorial teaches you this.

Oh and forget about ever using the sculpting tools in blender for anything.
>>
>>698317
You realize 2.8 did a massive sculpting overhaul right? Its not zbrush tier and its not quite onto par with the really good maya stuff but it has improved from the total garbage it used to be.
>>
>>697337
all of those features are there
>>
>>698317
Try learning from someone good at sculpting like Yan or those german robots (that might be redundant)
>>
>>696978
my pipeline does not include blender and I don't really like blendlets, yet still I support the foundation.
why?
because whenever adobe/autodesk swallows some new company, their product goes to shit, is then axed, customer is treated like shit and gets a subscription.
pixologic, sidefx, those guys that made marvelous and even foundry not to mention plethora of smaller players CANNOT give a guarantee that they will not be swallowed. hell, they do this shit themselves. by the nature of the system we are living in, this is absolutely inevitable. bigger fish eats smaller fish.
eventually this is what will happen to them because to these leviathans THEY are the smaller fish, leaving us with no alternative. and then we are fucked, unless there is alternative that won't be swallowed. again, by its very nature.
this is why while I still use proprietary professional tools in my work, a decent chunk of money I get thanks to them I donate to blender foundation and other FOSS teams.
I cannot command you to do the same, but if more people would do that, then more skilled people would join these teams, technological gap between proprietary and FOSS would be closing faster and we might have a chance.
>>
>>698424
the only thing that I want from the new sculpt is a solid boolean system, I don't even care about layers or other fancy stuff, I was sculpting this week and it is a pain in the ass compared with Zbrush, the performance is bad but you can deal with that, and also more brush presets are needed, I've seen people thinking that blender can't do straight lines ....
>>
>>697094
Are you insane? I'm a blender veteran and barely use any sculpting it's so bad. Blender is for modeling.
>>
File: 1560874591171.jpg (51 KB, 1080x1350)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>698666
>this is why while I still use proprietary professional tools in my work, a decent chunk of money I get thanks to them I donate to blender foundation and other FOSS teams.
This is the right play (and endorsed by Satan, no less). The means of production should belong to the artist. Imagine being forced to rent pens? Or not being able to open your drawings unless you subscribe to the right brand of pens? This bullshit needs to be stopped.

Make money, donate to FOSS, ensure ownership of the tools (You) need for (Your) work.
>>
>>698666
autodesk needs to release lightwave as a public software
>>
File: doctrine.jpg (132 KB, 1000x1000)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>697337
....literally all of the features you listed are there.

This board is an embarrassment.
>>
>>698757

No it doesn't you deluded fanboy. Blender has no polygroups, no dynamesh, no auto retopo with guides, and all the sculpting tools blender has feel less refined than Zbrush.

Why am I wasting my time anyway, it's not like this open source piece of crap will become a mandatory thing to learn.
>>
>>698760
There is literally a 1-click install addon for all of those.
>>
>>698763
But that's not Blender, by definition.
>>
>>698777
>semantics
>>
>>698853
No, it's not semantics. Either you consider Blender as is offered by the Institute, of you take Blender with any number of random add-ons made by third parties. The difference is one of continued development and support; you could go to the dev team and ask about a problem with some add-on, and you'd see them telling you that that is not under their scope.
>>
>>698865
I mean, sure, if you lack basic problem solving skills. I guess you got me there.
>>
>>698460
>those german robots
Links to tutorials plz!
>>
File: CYBERDYNE.jpg (254 KB, 1600x1000)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>698666
>>698678

Exactly!
FOSS is necesary because of SAAS
>The means of production should belong to the artist. Imagine being forced to rent pens? Or not being able to open your drawings unless you subscribe to the right brand of pens?
SAAS is cancer and slavery for the exact reason you have given this are not the 90s where you actually buy a computer tool and FOSS looks like some pointless autism about "sous code".

Do to the nature of FOSS its impossible to turn it into SAAS and this is a good thing!
The other option is to force by law all corporations to be unable to do SAAS.

> ensure ownership of the tools (You) need for (Your) work.
This is exactly (if you are ever puzzled by it) why everything FOSS looks like the good guy while everything proprietary and especially SAAS looks like Satan incarnate or the most evil corporation you can think of.

Its next to impossible to pretend corporations are good if they have you by the balls to this level with SAAS. While FOSS (blender, gimp. linux) has no limitations and is only good regardless how crap it is. If the quality is the same everyone will throw away proprietary alternatives.

However don't be a freetard you are supposed to pay for these things by donating money. The only people who are excused are children, and people with no jobs.
>>
>>698870
>>698865
>>698853
>>698777
>>698763
>>698760
>>698757
>But that's not Blender, by definition.
Agree.
Plugins are ok however same like with browsers often plugins are basic features that should have gotten included in the actual product.
Also the time to hunt down some necessary plugin is also a concern.
>>
>>697337
>Polygroups
Are you talking about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIt0o8ZWMOk
Did this help?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.