[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: joker-y-f2.jpg (235 KB, 1816x875)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
why korean artists always use bodypaint to do textures?
I thought its some obscure forgotten software, and yet every single one of them is using it and they all seem to have incredible results
I dont know much about painting, but I tried substance painted and I really have a feeling its not suited for this type of stuff.
coat 3d was better but the brush system felt dissapointing compared to lets say photoshop.
is bodypaint really that great, or its just some kind of region preference and nothing more?
>>
File: chrome_DmqUrSe0Me.jpg (275 KB, 1920x1080)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
My bet is that it's a regional thing. Though bodypaint does seem capable of really amazing handpaint stuff.

(this guy also uses it)
>>
It is? Guess I have to dust off my boxed copy then.
>>
>>682635
My guess is that it's really good at blending opacities together to get a nice blending of colors. My biggest gripe with Painter is that it's a bit of a hassle to achieve a smooth transition between colors without putting in some extra work, where as in photoshop I throw down a few swipes with a low opacity soft brush and I'm done.
>>
>>682635
Man, those are fantastic. I wonder if they're a separate, enlarged UV shell to allow more resolution.
>>
>>682635

No jawline, poor skull definition and no Sternocleidomastoid muscle. Imagine being a painter lol, glad I'm a sculptchad.
>>
>>682656
>Imagine being a painter lol, glad I'm a retarded ZBrush cowboy.
ftfy
>>
>>682656
You are a butt buccaneer, not a Zchad
>>
File: 4563573456.jpg (24 KB, 280x200)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Funny how for some reason /3/ never ever understands the concept of the artist's skills being much more important than the tool.
>>
>>682635
body paint is cinema 4D branded as a different name. I tried both and they had everything the same except maybe a few things moved here and there. as for the brushes in Bodypaint/cinema they are no different than substance. It doesnt support opacity just flow for the brush control, but it doesnt matter as much, its a very technical thing with painting. those textures from your pic related can be easily done with substance. Now there is a few things i did't check with cinema and its how it fairs with the controls and keybinds. Substance has a shortcut key for color picking/eyedropper on P, I am curious if its defaulted to something different in cinema/body paint. I will find out unless someone can fill me in.
>>
>>682678
so yeah just checked, color picking is easier in bodypaint/cinema. the defaulted keybind is CTRL. which means it easier to paint rather than substance. NOT to mention that it also has a live color slider, while in substance you have to toggle it everytime you want to add a new color. these two things are essential for painting, and substance doesnt optimize them as well. Still you can draw/paint well enough in substance, but Cinema it does in fact make it easier.
>>
>>682686
What I found is very interesting:

you can paint on skin,

you can paint on clothing,

you can paint clothing/boots/helmet/etc, just choose whatever.

for armor and head armor, in reality it's very hard. the model does not render (i would have thought it would only render on certain meshes/models/weapons..) the model can render on the armor but it renders on your head. it's not just skin either, it renders on clothing too. and head armor has some weird shader settings, but that's why head armor is "armor"
>>
>>682687
fuck off retard
>>
File: 1543334488317.jpg (136 KB, 250x236)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>682686
uh oh the color picker autist is back
>>
>>682691
who the fuck are you talking about, do you have brain damage or something? i literally implied i use substance because like i said before
>Still you can draw/paint well enough in substance,
im not saying to prefer one or the other i still use substance im just giving reasons as to why asians would prefer it, dumbass.
>>
>>682694
yes of course, because the defaulted keybind is CTRL. Nothing makes Koreans more hot and horny than that
>>
>>682695
???? then give me your reasons as to why they would prefer body paint when none of them use substance, ill be here all night shit face.
>>
>>682696
A few were offered free copies of Bodypaint at the beginning, and it kind of snowballed from there. That's my hypothesis.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>682698
>>
>>682698
Im done, bye.
>>
>>682698
Excuse me sir but that sounds way too reasonable.
>>
Never change /3/
>>
I wished blender had layers in its texture painting system. Layers are fucking essential!
>>
>>682725
Another reason not to use free software.
>>
>>682731
>Another reason to contribute to the development fund.
FTFY.
>>
>>682733
good goyim
>>
>>682725
>I wished blender had layers in its texture painting system.
People keep pushing and pushing for improvement of the painting mode. Keep it up and there's a big chance this will happen once 2.80 is officially released soon
>>
this thread is absolute garbage and i remember now why i didn't open this board for months
>>
>>683201
you contributed nothing, and showed absolutely no value in your opinion, not even trying to form any argument

0/10
>>
>>683201

What did you want people to say exactly.
>>
bodypaint is very popular in the far east since you can combine it with lightwave or other abandonware the chinks use.
they usually use a combination of max+bodypaint. it fills the niche since chinks don't have traditional texturing software
>>
>>682635
why does bodypaint cost $995
3d Coat seems to be the more popular opinion for hand painted textures and goes for $379 for commercial licence
and its still too expensive if you dont plan to use any of its sculpting or retopo features.
maybe maxon has a more reasonable pricing over there
>>
>>682678
not really, the camera controls and alignment tools in substance is shit-tier. its not built for hand-on texturing
>>
>>683227
>why does bodypaint cost $995
Because you're not allowed to sculpt titties in 3D Coat
>>
>>683239
But the only way to get that much money is to sculpt titties...
>>
>>682667

>expecting actual constructive conversation in /3/

sorry to hear that bro
>>
>>682667
It's not just /3/ you see that stuff in all kinds of human endeavor.
People who wanna get into activity X start out by researching and acquiring the most extreme equipment they can.
Surely you must play better if you have a $10000 guitar? Run faster if you have $1000 shoes? You come across goofy shit like that all the time.

I believe it's a form of peacocking caused by our genetic programming to engage in courtship display that has gone awry in some members of our species.
Like a glitch in their psychology where the process of amassing all the equipment associated with highlevel performance is the name of the game, not learning how to play.
>>
>>683615
A spectacular example is asking an artist what pencil they use. Always gets me
>>
>>682635
From what some friends in the game industry have told me, there's not replacing body paint. It's the best software for handpainted textures. As for why exactly I couldn't say, because I've never tried it. They also use substance for pbr assets, so they aren't fanboys or anything.
>>
>>682639
source of this image?
>>
>>685586
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/arttimis-chibi-033fc8c516f74a26b2a04407eb176f8a
Pretty sure this guy, but he might of removed the original as it seems to belong to a game or something. Licensing probably.
>>
>>685586
>>685594
aura kingdom Serena
>>
>>685594
gosh... i would kill to see the unwrapped texture
>>
>>682725
i never understood why blender never implemented layers in its 3d painting mode, they are not that hard to code in
they even added layering in 2.8 for traditional 2d animation tab (turns out, you can't do traditional animation without them), but what about 3d painting? lmao sorry pal, go buy 3dcoat or something
im guessing they get paid to not add it in, that the only logical fucking reason
>>
>>685132
Wait, do people really ask that?
>>
File: 1548545309190.png (1.65 MB, 1587x892)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB PNG
>>685598
?
>>
>>685610

The same reason it uses other ancient shit
>>
>>685610
Blender is made by and for 3D reenactors, that's why you can barely find any modern features in it.
>>
>>685610
foundation is in cahoot with blender market, that's why blender never gets any new features thats already being offered by paid addons.
>>
>>685721
>Collusion? In your FOSS? It's more likely than you think!
>>
>>685721
Withholding functionality in order to maintain constant revenue... where have I seen this before? Ah, yes! Autodesk.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.