[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 108 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: eh.png (263 KB, 620x543)
263 KB
263 KB PNG
Should we abbreviate /questions/ into something? Would have liked /qst/ but that's already a board. Post your thoughts & suggestions. edition

previous: >>666619

Reminder!
This thread is for any simple and/or stupid questions about techniques/software. If you think you have a question that deserves its own thread, such as thoughts on [new technology], etc., by all means go ahead and create your own! Otherwise, please post in this thread.

Also, please do head over to the previous thread and help to answer any unanswered questions!
>>
/qtddtot/? Like most other boards have?
>>
that's fine, as long it can contain all the people that want to ask questions but too dumb to navigate
>>
>>669725
just keep including question marks in op pic so that it's easy to spot in catalogue and we're done
>>
Doing a L4D2 mod for my lovely weebs, a neon F2000 vall-ha11-a theme.
Pic related.
I am almost done, however I'm trying to put two png as stickers on the model, but I can't find how to include a non-repeating image at a precise location.
Is it even possible?
>>
>>669765
Just tile it. Not like weebs have taste anyway
>>
>>669765
>blender and gimp
the worst duo
>>
>>669765
if the image is repeating that means you need to change the uv's for it, or see if that repeat dropdown on the image texture does anything, i dont use blender so i wouldnt know. but again add a mapping node i have no idea which one controls tiling and repetition.
>>
File: 1543220139094.gif (1.89 MB, 500x459)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB GIF
>>669772
It is the duo of the poor.
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 800x485)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
Are there any good resources on how to model a segmented creature like a millipede?
>>
>>669794
just like regular but make each segment an instance. Then un-instance and rework the individual segments as needed down the length of the creature to give them their correct size and shape.

Never built any creature like this but I made a medically accurate spinal column this way where each vertebrae is similar but with slight variations. Patience and attention to small detail that is easy to gloss over if you make assumptions is the key to success.
>>
File: frog-1.jpg (22 KB, 400x349)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Im working on a quadruped animal model and I plan to rig it with loads of goodies for the sake of learning. My question is, is it better to use rigify and add my stuff on top of it or do I follow the instruction of books and tutorials to make the rig from the ground up?

From my experience with rigging, I know that starting from scratch will be a time consuming project, so Im not sure if its worth my time.
>>
>>669846
instance what?
>>
>>669860
whatever you do to the original or in some cases even another copy, all linked copies of object will update
>>
>>669865
what about a reference?
>>
File: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.png (151 KB, 613x474)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
Hey /3/ i'm almost done with this project, the texture is fine and the unwrap too but when i render it i have ugly shadows appearing even tho there is only one object in the scene
>>
>>669882
every time you see weird shit like this the number one suspect is normals
>>
>>669859
do it all vanilla on your first go, so when you actually use addons it will give you the understanding of what it automates/ and what isn't.

vanilla rigging is bad as people make it out to be, you just have to follow the rules
>>
File: birdhouse.png (299 KB, 1920x1080)
299 KB
299 KB PNG
trying to use boolean modifier to make a hole in my birdhouse. Keep getting this ugly result. What am I doing wrong ?
>>
>>669952
I think it's that Ngon and your subdivision modifier. Try adding some edge loops for all the hole's vertices. Also look at that area with the subdiv modifier turned off and look for anything you might be missing because of it.
>>
>>669952
first i made the home like you did (rough shape)
then i crossed 2 edges vertically and horizontal.
then i clicked the middle vertex between the two and click ctrl+shift+b to bevel vertex.
then i scrolled up with mouse to give it roughly 2 subdiv's.
then i deleted the faces in the middle and used ctrl+alt+s to make the hole rounder
then i added some loops and joined them with hole by clicking J. i used 3 loops for each side
>>
>>669952
you cant use boolean operations on planes, they need to be polygons
>>
File: BadIK.gif (2.35 MB, 934x643)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB GIF
Anybody knows what could be causing an issue with the IK handler? It doesn't even try to bend at all, first time this happens to me
>>
File: birdhouse2.png (282 KB, 1920x1080)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
>>669954
>>669956
>>669970
thanks. I redid it. my topology is gross but adding more polygons seemed to do the trick.
>>
>>669727
Well, the point is more to shorten it rather than rename it entirely, /qtddtot/ isn't much shorter than /questions/. We'll see.

Anyway, got banned (again) for posting in the 4CC thread (that's now deleted). So just a fair reminder to all the other anons in >>669996 that you're risking a ban by posting in there (it's like a day only though so no harm). Forgot what the exact rules are but they're only permitted on /asp/ or something? Dunno.
>>
>>670114
>got banned (again) for posting in the 4CC thread
Heh, I got banned and didn't even post in the deleted thread -- not that I recall, at least. I posted in the one before, a few weeks ago, but that surely mustn't have motivated this ban. I wonder if this happened to somebody else.
>>
>>670090
next time if u want to use boolean operation on planes, there are specific ones for that. in 3ds max its a propcutter, but in blender im not sure what it is.
>>
>>670090
ack i know you've acknowledged your shit topology already, but jesus christ
>>
didnt know there was a new thread
>>670219
>>
>>669970
Of course you can.
>>
How do you make materials? I might be getting too far ahead of myself because I don't really no what I'm doing anyway, but, for example, how do I make a brick look like a brick instead of a terracotta rectangle?
Should I just stick with the donut instead of embarrassing myself?
>>
>>670225
no, not your standard booleans you need specific ones to slice planes.
>>
>>670226
most materials consist of a base color, a roughness map to controls the reflective values, a metal map to determine the reflective values,bump/normal maps and thats pretty much it for your basic setup since the other maps you really only use rarely(like displacement/heightmaps, emissive,opacity and IOR maps) and are usually baked onto the mesh mostly maps with lighting information like ambient occlusion, and shadows anything with lighting info is what you usually bake onto a color map. a lot of these terms are synonymous with others but dont worry about them.
the rest is up to how you apply textures and masking contents away in the process, since most noobies just use a fill layer to apply the maps and dont bother to mask them so it make your models look a lot less realistic.

theres that route and then theres procedural materials, but those are more for objects that need tiling and shit, not really made for specific things.
>>
>>670233
Thanks senpai that helps a lot. I've messed around with different maps before, but I didn't really know what I was doing (I was never much good with maps, even in 2D).
I'll keep trying though and hope I can improve my below average ability.
>>
File: capture.webm (822 KB, 1228x944)
822 KB
822 KB WEBM
>>670227
Maybe we are thinking of different scenarios?
>>
>>670244
im use 2.8 and mine doesnt have a solver so im not sure what that is, but it wont let me use booleans on planes.
>>
>>669725
can i disable phong shading in the viewport in cinema 4D?

I know i can delete the tag, but then i'd have to readd it later, it's just kinda distracting when i'm blocking in with low polygon count
>>
>>670248
I just tried with the latest 2.8 available and it works as in 2.79, despite not having the solver option.
>>
>>670279
oh i did't apply the modifier, which is rather dumb actually. with max its non destructive and fast. with blender its permanent, also max far more boolean operations.
>>
>>670305
You don't need to apply it on Blender either, just hide the accessory Boolean object or move it to a different layer. Not as structured as Max, but it retains some proceduralism.
>>
>>670323
either way, blender is really limited in that department.
>>
>>669725
I need to make a multitex plywood material. I'm struggling to find good quality textures to use. Need about 8 of good birch plywood. Would appreciate help if anyone has any.
>>
Do i need a cuda card to do hair particles in blender? I have a 560ti which isn't supported in 2.8, but im following a tutorial from 2.68. Cant get the hair working and im not sure if its my card, the old tut or im missing something in the tut. Its the blender lighting and rendering cookbook (indoors chapter 3 carpet) if anyone is familiar. Thx.
>>
I want to design my room, but I need a tool for that. On blender or cad or whatever I would probably have to recreate it from 0. Is there any way to do that? I found a lot of different pages but thay are all shit since they are made to sell you their own furnitures so they Dónde have an easy way to make your own models or whatever. Most of my stuff is Ikea shit, maybe I could download a pre-made set of 3D modeled Ikea stuff and use blender/cad? I haven't used 3D programs at all, but if the models already exist it shouldn't be that hard I guess.
>>
What is the best option for procedurally generating Terrain these days? World Machine? Terragen?

Any decent freeware options?
>>
>>670375
>Any decent freeware options?
Houdini Apprentice. https://vimeo.com/203866164
>>
>>670372
sketchup.com
Probably has all the ikea shit in there aswell.
>>
Have any of the donut-tier Blender tutorials been retooled to the 2.8 UI? Following the big donut playlist & it's taking me ridiculous amounts of time finding out what's changed from 2.79(?) .
>>
>>670385
just keep using the hotkeys and save the headache.

i think the new toolbar is worth re-learning tho
>>
File: 1545387880421.png (1.4 MB, 1920x1160)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
need to make a sliding piece along this bone that will act as a forearm but i have no idea where to start
>>
Does anybody here use zbrush 2018 on linux? I got it running with crossover but the screen tears like crazy everytime I rotate the model. I noticed my CPU usage goes up to 100% when I rotate. Everything else works good tho, pressure sensitivity, lightbox, big files.
>>
Not really a 3D modeler here, but I'm trying to import some levels from a game into Blender. My script's working pretty well, but I have sort of an optimization question. This scene has a ton of animated trees, but they all use the same model and sway in unison. Is there a way to just animate one tree and then duplicate it hundreds of times? When I try it using duplicates and linked duplicates of the tree, it just duplicates the reference to the armature and then the further away a tree is from that armature the more drastic the rotations and stuff are. When I try duplicating the armature for every tree, Blender starts getting really choppy, so I guess that's pretty processing intensive.

It seems like this should be really easy, but I don't know, I've been stuck on this for hours.
>>
>>670461
Well, after some more googling I kind of got something working using dupligroups, but I'm still not sure if that's the best answer.
>>
Is there any way to get found out if you're using pirated software for game development? I'd probably pay for LT, but autodesk doesnt wanna support linux.
>>
>>670454
something tells me i want to do a transform constraint but at the same time i dont know how that would work
>>
>>670465
Most piracy gets uncovered by tips from disgruntled employees. If anyone working with you now or in the future gets laid off they would just tell autodesk/law enforcement you were using pirated software. Some developers like the foundry have phone home code in their apps and they can send you an email out of nowhere. I dunno if anyone watermarks files with a "made in maya" tag or whatever so I imagine you could get caught if your game assets have that tag.
>>
>>670496
Technically ripping assets to test for embedded data like that could be considered DRM circumvention which carries even more liability than piracy.
>>
does substance painter still have no real displacement preview (like designer's tesslation option) or a toggle for backface culling? just checking if i need to update
>>
>>670496
so how do you tell if a model you purchased online is from licensed software or not?
>>
>>670556
a. no one bothers to check.
b. most discussions about this usually go like this:
>if you're worried about pirated <name of software here> adding information to the header of your asset, just import the geo into blender and rexport it
>>
>>670557
so if people dont check it what protects you from getting sued if buy a model and end up being made with pirated software?
in the end are you the one getting into trouble for buying unlicensed model or the person that sold you the model?
>>
>>670560
nothing protects you. there's likely liability all down the chain. the person with the most money is likely going to get sued by the DCC devs. that person can in turn then sue the storefront that sold the asset. the storefront can then sue the modeller.

the chain of events that would have occur for this to happen is fairly unlikely and honestly, the sums involved would make suing anyone over anything literally not worth paying the court fees let alone the lawyers.
>>
>>670566
so basically i can dump unlicensed models in turbosquid without any repercussions
>>
>>670568
put them through blender just to be safe.
>>
>>670555
>toggle for backface culling
Still forced backface culling AFAIK. No idea about tessellation.
>>
>>670568
It depends on who owns the model. Activision came after the orion indie devs for using black ops gun assets. Steam is pretty bad at removing stolen asset games. Look at space trucker. They ripped doom and half life models and its still for sale.
>A true pirate game dev would seed his own game for free and get free publicity on the front page of 1337x.
>>
File: 34645.jpg (325 KB, 2766x1127)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
Simple question regarding ZBrush zmodeling:
I want to create a rounded edge on the extruded part without causing deformity in the rest of the geometry. Basically I want to bevel that corner alone, ideally by adding the needed edgeloops for it not to cause anything weird. I basically want to recreate the object to the left. Thanks for any help.

>tfw I was once okay in zBrush but had to pause for ages and now back to zero ;_;
>>
File: subdiv.gif (211 KB, 1675x796)
211 KB
211 KB GIF
>>670597
i dont use zrbrush but subdivision work isnt any different on there i believe. you just need to pull down the bottom part of that, apply subdivision to one iteration and then just add the necessary edge loops to control the degree of curvature especially need a loop going on the top.
>>
>>670599
Ah... will try that. Thanks for your input and especially for the effort of making that gif!
>>
A question in 3DS Max:

When you're using a splice and click on the mouse to make a besier, when you're done (just one curve, I don't want the second one) how do cancel that besier to have a perfectly straight line?
In Illustrator, I just have to hold alt an click on the point.
>>
>>670622
You want to hold click on your first point and then on your second point just click once without holding, if that doesn't work you can finish the spine and then later go in and edit the point and make it a corner (no curve point)
>>
Hey /3/ so i tried to export my 3ds max scene into and AVI file and i have an issue : DV VIDEO ENCODER renders all my frames but in 720x480 when i want it in 1000x1000 for instagram, UNCOMPRESSED renders 287 frames out of 600 but in 1000x1000 and MJPEG renders at the right length and size but the image is all green.
>>
>>670626
Don't render directly to video formats, it's bad it lots of ways, render as images then import into a video editing software as image sequence. I recommend MP4, using the h264 codec.
>>
>>670629
This. Image sequences are the way to go, in case of some fuckup.
>>
>>669725
Hi, where can i find a guide or a very detailed workflow on modelling a hard surface rifle or weapon from start to finish that is not made in 3ds max or modo?
>>
>>670629
>>670630
Thanks anons it worked. AfterEffects retarded tho
>>
>>670647
Use whatever works for you. I use Fusion.
>>
>>670644
Most guns are for videogames so they have to be low poly. For detailed guns you're probably better off following a hipoly vehicle tutorial and using the techniques to make a gun.
>the hard part is drawing a cool gun so you know what to do
>it really is just repeating extrude, bevel, edgeloop, and boolean commands over and over again for hours no matter what program you use
>>
>>670666
Will try this thanks.
>>
>>670644
heard of (You)tube?

https://youtu.be/SNdNAqz4mls
>>
File: New Canvas.png (216 KB, 818x478)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
in MMD there are these sliders that controls faces animation, it works with keyframes and basically makes smooth translation between two specific shapes by moving around some vertices,
i don't use the logiciel so i've never tried it,
what is it called ? is there something like this on blender or maya ? and is this a better alternative for face rig with bones ?
>>
>>670682
Shape keys, blendshapes, morphs, etc.
And yeah, it definitely gives you a better result than trying to do everything with bones.
If you really want to look into it, search up FACS-based facial rigging. A very basic TL;DR is very similar to what you already have, individual sliders that control a certain part of the face, but WAY more indepth. Virtually every possible movement of a face muscle is created, and dozens of them blend at once to give you realistic (if done right) expressions.
>>
>>670683
thanks, it's just what i was looking for !
>>
I got a question for you solo gamedev anons that are using either unity or godot. Are the C# scripts that you use in unity the same you use in godot? do they behave the same way? for example if i were to make a double jump with C# in unity can I then use the same script in godot?
Its the same programming languages, but is it interpreted differently by the engine?
>>
>>670707
yea
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (238 KB, 1920x1080)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
I'm really having a bad time with camara angles, fov, lens and all that. I want to look nice and natural, not like a fucking angled photo. Can somebody help me , or at least give me their camara presets.

>inb4 I use vray camara this one its just an example.
>>
>>670721
physical cam is best cam in max because all the setting are visible and not adjusted by pressets.

Your best best for learning cam settings is to look at real photography guides. keep in mind that setting won't teach you anything about composition so you'll need to look into that too. there is no one preset that is 'good' you have to experiment with lense sizes (fov) and aspect ratio.

The only option that is 3d related to cams is to use the auto horizontal option when rendering things like buildings or rooms, it makes vertical lines perfectly straight.
>>
>>670724
Yes, i think it's more of a composition thing, i have no photography skills.
Also I didn't mean (my bad) like standards for close angles and so.
But thanks m80 I appreciate it
>>
>>670728
yeah in that case look just look up some real life photography lessons in composition. why not go out and take a few on your phone if you dont have a cam.
>>
File: 3a.png (326 KB, 547x417)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
I got a topology question for a model I plan to rig and animate. I want to add more geometry on this creature's head like the blue line shows, but I don't know how to do it without compromising the topology.

I can add a loop cut that goes all the way to the arm and under it, but that would add a lot of trigs I wont need. Dividing just the top 4 quads would end up in an n-gon in the union of the arm and the head and I'm trying to avoid that for now.

Is adding an n-gon too bad in such a visible place? How can I add the geometry without getting tris and pentagons that would look wonky on deformation?
>>
File: 1526969398875.png (393 KB, 1920x1160)
393 KB
393 KB PNG
so i imported an sfm model the other day and noticed all the bones are disconnected but parented, and contained in small little balls
the problem with that now its really hard to follow this tutorial here to add some IKs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ_ocmY8xEI
is it safe to just connect the bones traditionally or woudl the prepackaged weights from my import get all kinds of fucked?
(also i cant show the mesh for two reasons, and one of them wont work under "clothed = sfw")
>>
>>670023
maya being maya as usual
default IK on completely straight chains is typically broken
what happens, is it doesn't know how it should bend. solutions:
a) create chain slightly(by slightly, I mean you can give it any non-zero translate and it will understand where to bend) bent in general direction it should solve, and straighten it up after solver is attached
b) fiddle with preferred angle & poles
c) use custom solvers
>>670114
and I was wondering what the fuck
>>
>>670764
Its not broken, it just doesn't know which way to bent, total normal behavior.
You simply deactivate the IK Solver, bent the joint and set the preferred angle, before activating it again...That's it, works like a charm.
>>
>>670762
I'm guessing this armature is nothing more than bones with weights. If that's the case, you're doing it wrong, just trash it and use the rigify basic human metarig and then generate a proper rig. You shouldn't need to worry about weighting, Blender can do a decent job of automatically doing it.
>>
>>670766
this was the rig that showed up from extracting an SFM model
do you have a good tutorial for rigify? specifically for generating the rig?
i accidentally gotten that complex rig and im not sure i need these highlighted bones
i would show you the mesh but thats two layers of things i cant show on blue boards
>>
File: 1546414003274.png (410 KB, 1920x1160)
410 KB
410 KB PNG
>>670775
forgot the image
>>
>>670776
gotta say im not a fan of the fact that if i try deleting the face bones from the advanced rig it wont build but the basic rig doesnt have articulate hands
>>
File: 1530148820518.png (9 KB, 384x40)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
yo what the actual fuck
>>
>>670781
>blender
>>
>>670782
that isnt helpful
found out that it was
A) because of verts
B) because of seperated topology for some damn reason
but now im afraid that if i do anything to those separate meshes they'll fuck up the model's built in shape keys
>>
>>670783
So Blender has problems with weighting a bone to components of different meshes?
>>
>>670784
All I know is, if I can press L and not all the mesh is selected, I can't rig it for some fucking reason
I'd just separate these but I don't want to lose shape key data
>>
>>670762
>so i imported an sfm model the other day and noticed all the bones are disconnected but parented,
thats literally how 100% of rigs work. and as for your IK's all IK's work the same, they need to follow the hierarchy pattern.
if the IK handle is not starting from the arm down to the forearm it wont work properly.
>>
File: heirarch.gif (1.25 MB, 1084x960)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB GIF
>>670762
and here is what i mean
>>
File: mayaheir.gif (331 KB, 1164x638)
331 KB
331 KB GIF
>>670764
wrong.
>>670023
same with you maya boy, check your hierarchy
>>
>>670762
forgot to add, do not follow that tut. its completely ass backwards to rigging. hes throwing the word constraint left and right and not knowing what it means. the only constraint is the IK handle the rest should be parenting with a correct hierarchy pattern. and that IK handle constraint in blender looks horrendous and im pretty sure thats not how its suppose to work.
>>
File: New Canvas.png (151 KB, 1134x586)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
it's the first time that i tried to make actual eyeballs that can move around but i'm stuck there,
they don't fill the eye socket and there are gaps where you can see through,
is there another way to make it work or do i have to redo the eye socket ?
>>
>>670803
You have a lot of options:
- Make the eye bigger and move it closer to the the eyesocket, then if the eye is sticking out of the face mesh, give the eyes a boolean modifier using a cube or another mesh to cull the parts of the eye that stick out. The judy hopps rig in blend swap does this very well to hide the super huge eyes.
- Extrude the inner part of the eye socket to cover that area. Give it a fleshy material afterwards. This is how eyesocket works. Get some good face rigs online and study how they model the eyesockets.
- Move the eyes closer to the face, add a lattice modifier to the eye and squash it. The eye will still rotate properly but it will be deformed as you see fit. There are tons of tutorials online for this technique, look for cartoony eyes.
- Modify the face mesh, make it follow the shape of the eye a bit better
- Instead of a round eye, use a mesh with the eyeshape you are looking for and then use a UV warp modifier to move the pupil texture around. Again, there are tutorials on youtube about this.
>>
>>670806
Forgot to mention, extrude the inner eye part to create the eye socket no matter what you choose. You will always get a gap if you don't.
>>
File: dumblend.gif (1.58 MB, 1574x898)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB GIF
>>670801
>>670800
>>670799
>>670762
i picked up blender to see if the concepts are actually the same, and they are. the only thing thats different(because blender is retarded) is that you have to automatically create your own handle for the IK. once u have the hierarchy set up, you just create a new bone, set it aside and then apply the IK to the bone thats going to bed, which is the shin. then youre done, additionally like maya and max you can add a swivel/knee control which is under the pole target in the IK handle.
>>
>>670808
sorry meant bend not bed.
>>
>>670808
god i ment manually not automatically, need to double check my posts lol
>>
File: Capture2.jpg (25 KB, 544x426)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>670752
youre thinking too much about it. just do pic related you dont have to make everything quads, if you need some leeway in there just add it and it end it on a triangle.
>>
>>670845
I will give it a try, thx
>youre thinking too much about it
This has been a problem since I started doing 3dcg stuff, getting caught up in details and spending absurd ammount of times in them when they dont really deserve it. Hopefully this feeling will stop once I get more experienced.
>>
>>670808
Ok I have 3 questions
1) if I separate a mesh from an object, will it still conform to shapekeys?
2) let's say I want to make something "telescopic" but also bend like an arm, how would I rig that?
3) how does one make a fully prehensile and extendable tube/tendril?
>>
any free to use and free($$$) sources for alphas etc... for substance anyone knows of?
>>
>>669725
What is the best software for making models for a 3D printer? I'm using Inventor (student edition) because Inventor is what I know how to use from work, but it feels way over powered for what I need. I dont need finite element analysis, or even colors or shaders or rendering. Just a program that has CAD/modeling functions and can import/export .stl files. The free CAD I found all have the usability of something made for Temple OS. What program should I use?
>>
>>670873
Fusion 360 is a good CAD program with a part geared towards 3D printing. There's also Meshmixer as a good complement to prepare the meshes for printing.
>>
i cant understand, i removed all doubles, i seperated all unconnected meshes into new objects, and yet i still get this same error>>670781
>>
File: 1534870417214.png (677 KB, 1920x1160)
677 KB
677 KB PNG
turns out it was all the armature modifiers in there
but now...
im fucking ready to give up.
>>
File: 7373055.jpg (216 KB, 1024x768)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
I'm switching from windows to linux to render faster with Blender and a few other programs but wanted to know if anyone else is doing so and is it worth the switch?
>>
>>670896

the thumbnail looks like a kangoroo fucking a human
>>
File: 1473903607838.gif (3.71 MB, 327x261)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB GIF
>>670897
>being this retarded
>>
>>670898
you mean like the RE:6 logo?
>>
working in zbrush, sculpting on a skin from zspheres, add some subtools like eyeballs and stuff, get to where I need to divide for more geometry, and notice I cant. I never "made a polymesh 3D". Making it a polymesh deleted all my other subtools.

Has anyone figured out what a polymesh is yet? ZBrush site says you cant sculpt on anything until it's a polymesh, but I was sculpting away for a while.
>>
File: penis.jpg (19 KB, 326x526)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
How can I stop this from happening? When I import fbx from blender into Mixamo it adds this annoying root transform that's jittering around when the caracter is aninated in Mixamo.
>>
>>670896
you just got some weight painting clashing. go through your vertex groups and look whats got weights there
>>
OK, I have a weird specific question : i come from the videogame industry and i'm beginning 3d print for personal uses. I have a lot of lowpolys models at hand but nothing worth printing as is. Is it possible to bake a normal map on a lowpoly (subdivided) in zbrush to generate a high poly? Kinda like the projection tool but with normal maps?
>>
>>670905
use as a displacement map
>>
>>670907
Could you give details please? I'm not at home but i would try tomorrow. Zbrush can convert normal to displacement maps?
>>
>>670908
Substance Designer can do Normal Map to Height. There may be other software that can do it. You can try using such a height map as a displacement map. You're going to have to go over the whole model fixing stuff if you do it that way. However there's no way to avoid manual work if all you have is a lowpoly and normal map, so no reason not to give it a shot.
>>
>>670780
Hiding inside the head bone is a face bone. You need to delete that too.

>>670856
1. Yes.
Others not really sure. Generally you should try to do each part of a rig individually then put them together. So get a tube bending like you want then figure out the other part.
>>
>>670897
Expect between 5-20% improvement in simulation and render performance.
>>
why do i get the awful feeling this rig shouldnt look like this
>>
File: 1550723699853.png (414 KB, 1920x1160)
414 KB
414 KB PNG
>>670923
forgot the fucking image
>>
File: 1540961295356.png (422 KB, 1920x1160)
422 KB
422 KB PNG
>>670924
wtf are these widgets
>>
>>670926
why the fuck are these brand new widgets in two different layers?
>>
File: 1531900175713.png (431 KB, 1920x1160)
431 KB
431 KB PNG
>>670927
again forgot the fucking image
>>
>>670929
i was following this tutorial and the end result after hitting generate is absolutely nothing like it what the hell went wrong?
>>
>>670897
Set up a dual boot system (Grub, which is a common linux Bootloader, handles this process easily. Microsoft's bootloader doesn't like dual booting so their bootloader doesn't even have the option... Although Grub lets you boot into windows by booting its bootloader and letting it proceed as normal). You'd want to run an OS with a desktop and one with just bare bones functionality. If you use an OS that is intended to be a windows competitor (i.e. one intended to be user friendly) the performance boost is negligible. The lower end of >>670920
Is what you should expect. Desktops use up resources just like any other program. The only benefit to linux in this regard is you have many options ranging from very resource heavy desktops to very light weight, and even none at all. To optimize render times you'd want to use a distro of linux that is as bare bones as possible. Cutting the desktop out of the equation is a major part of this process.

The actually process of getting blender to run and render a .blend file in terminal is actually crazy easy. You'd set the .blend file up exactly how you normally would in any other OS, save the file, open your terminal and navigate to the folder where the .blend file is stored. After that you only need to type in a single line into the terminal and blender will run. It'll spit out the rendered image into whatever location you've specified in the .blend file and exit itself. This alone saves a significant amount of resources, although blender's built in "lock UI during render" functionality is pretty close to the same.

The dual boot approach to this just adds a couple steps. You'd still save out the .blend file, but you'd also need to set the .blend files locations to be saved as relative to the .blend file. Usually they are saved as relative to the "root" directory, but that root changes when you dual boot.

CONT'D
>>
>>670930
christ im forgetting to copypaste every fucking thing arent i
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpgDjKIxYOA
>>
>>670931
>>670897
A very cost effective alternative to this is actually to set up your own micro render farm (this works best for CPU rendering, but I guess you could use it for GPU rendering if you want to buy a shit ton of GPUs ontop of the price bellow... That said, most servers don't have that many pcie slots so you'd have to buy very specific builds).

Go on Ebay and buy a decommissioned/refurbished server. You can buy 8-16, or more, cpu cores, basically plug and play, for as little as 600 dollars (that price point usually doesn't include all that much ram).

Most are fairly outdated (one or two generations old, or more), but they make up for it with the brute force of cpu count... And Linux is 100% bullet proof on those plateforms since they are its home turf.

A lot of the servers are even able to run traditional desktop OS since they include rudimentary graphics hardware (literally just 10 year old GPU hardware build into the server motherboard if I remember correct, but its enough to get a functioning, though slow, desktop). The shitty built in GPU hardware doesn't effect CPU rendering.

Here is a link to a random 12 core refurbished server:: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA92N5YU6877

350$ USD
>>
>>670923
>>670924
>>670926
>>670927
>>670929
>>670930
>>670932
Make yourself some hot linden tea, it will help you calm down. This will improve the emotional part of how you experience your problem. As for the cognitive part,
>>
>>670902
Does it effect the fluidity of the characters animation? If no then just hide it.

I'm also pretty sure that maximo needs a "root" bone, but can also start looking for limps from what it believes to be the hip bone. Your best bet would be to add your own "root" bone in a location that isn't annoying to look at.
>>
>>670918
Thanks, i'll give it a try!
>>
>>670952
all i know is that the pitchiboy rig generates perfectly while the basic rig is missing bones all over
>>
>>670994
turns out i needed to check the option "autorun python scripts" in the "file" tab of user preferences
>>
File: snif.jpg (641 KB, 2030x1031)
641 KB
641 KB JPG
>How it looks like on top
>Vs
>How it is supposed to look like on bot

What is wrong with me, is it my UV wrapping? How do they manage the displacement?
>>
>>670999
>uv wrapping?
It looks like it. But also for some reason it looks like textures are being duplicated in your meshes. On the one on the left, you can preety much see big circles and small circles when the one on the bottom only has small ones.You should check out your material shaders and UVs to see wtf are you doing wrong.
>>
File: 1541663257663.png (815 KB, 1920x1158)
815 KB
815 KB PNG
here i have weighted both the main body mesh and a glove mesh. for some god forsaken reason the glove mesh deforms perfectly to the generated rig whenever i parent it but the actual god damn body deforms into a nightmare.
how and why would this happen?
why must importing sfm models be a nightmare
>>
>>671010
>why must importing sfm models be a nightmare
you willingly chose to suffer
>>
Anyone think it’s worth learning Linux if I’m going into the industry? I’ve played around with it a little bit but I’m just curious if it’s worth learning about in depth over windows
>>
>>671019
i just dont understand how one mesh with a similar shape to another gets completely fucked up when deformed
because its the whole mesh that gets fucked when i try to move an rigify IK
i'd show it but the mesh would get me banned faster than you can say "this is your home now"
>>
>>671032
looks like you skipped all the basics to start with a full fledged animation kit right away and now you get problems you can't solve due lack of basic education?
kiddos these days, sigh
>>
>>671040
All i wanted was to put IKs on an imported SFM model
but i've gone through deleting its original skeleton, rerigging, troubleshooting, and staring at the mess
>>
File: test.png (459 KB, 391x629)
459 KB
459 KB PNG
i made a low poly model to then make it shadeless, but i changed my mind and thought it would be better to have shadows on it,
but now i've got these ugly artifacts with the toon shader, did i fuck it up ?
>>
File: 15514481201d95s.jpg (17 KB, 249x218)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
What's a good site for commissioning 3D artists?
>>
File: FuelCap.png (839 KB, 2048x2048)
839 KB
839 KB PNG
>>671101
I suppose Artstation is decent place. Maybe sketchfab too, but there might be better options. I'm interested in knowing this too since I've taken a couple commissions myself recently and made some decent money out of them, so I'm hoping to get more soon.

Also reposting a couple of unanswered questions from the old thread that had reached bump limit.

Is decimating a high-poly sculpted mesh a viable way to get to a low poly version, or is retopo the only 'professionally' accepted method? I tried decimating some of my sculpts and they turned out fine (aside from being a bit of pain to UV unwrap). I didn't rig them personally, so maybe that'll cause problems later on?

What's the deal with the 'edge split' modifier (at least that's what blender calls it)? I use it extensively in hard surface modelling to get rid of messed up shading like in >>670219 anon's pic, but knowing what it does, wouldn't the overlapping vertices and edges cause issues if you're creating game assets?

Normal unrelated.
>>
>>671050
Check for inverted normals and loose geometry. Remove duplicated vertex.
>>
>Using eevee on 2.8
>Trying displacement on the sphere and the surface
>Any parameters in the node tree doesn't change anything

How am I suppose to make a bump displacement effect with the node tree? Is my tree wrong? Can I do displacement without modifiers?
>>
>>671112
Eevee doesnt support node based displacement, only cycles does. You can use the displacement modifier though.
>>
File: thumbsup.gif (480 KB, 141x141)
480 KB
480 KB GIF
>>671116
As I was suspecting, thanks for straighting that out.
>>
using blender for the first time, how to I open the panel for changing the minor radius of a torus if I've deselected the torus once?

The panel for changing the minor radius appears when I create it, but I don't imagine that to be as much use as moving around the torus to the place/object I want it to be on and then changing its thickness.
>>
>>671148
F6?
>>
File: torus panel.png (144 KB, 666x1030)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>671149
that seems to be the deselect all key
this is what I mean. If I ever deselect the torus, then I don't see any way of getting this panel up again without creating an entirely new torus, which seems very counter productive

sorry if what I'm doing might be totally pointless or dumb, I'm just trying to learn how this program works
>>
>>671152
From what I know, you only get one chance to see that menu and that's when you add said item. You almost really have to know what you want or need from that side menu before clicking anywhere else or else you need to re-add and start over again.
>>
>>670931
>>670936

Damn, I really can't thank you enough anon! I spent this whole weekend just researching servers and playing around with some distros. Seriously, thanks for that advice! I think I'm leaning towards a micro farm. Seems like a great investment for animation/simulations.
>>
>>671160
Alright, thanks. I guess it's a feature I shouldn't get too used to then. I guess there will be other options I can learn
>>
>>671026
no. the vast majority of people don't use linux for 3d. There's literally no reason to use linux over others unless you are a paranoidfag or a programmer.
>>
>>671257
*laughs in high-end VFX*
>>
>>671257
>There's literally no reason to use linux
Except the 5-15% increase in render-speed depending on what program you use.
Or the fact that you can push more shit into RAM since Linux uses less RAM for the system and has better memory management.
Or the (very minimal) increased stability when using Maya and Houdini (probably others too).

>>671026
I currently use an Mint with an Mate desktop, before that i had an CentOS which is slightly more complex to maintain. Mint is child's-play.
CentOS basically runs everything, except Blender 2.8.
Running Maya on Mint can give some headaches since you have to use alien to transform the Maya.rpm into an deb. Other than that it gives problems with DaVinciResolve and Fusion, but Maya, Houdini, Modo, Nuke, Substance Painter/Designer, Mari, Mudbox, Clarisse and Katana should run without problems.
>>
>>671274
>depending on what program you use
>maya ever being properly stable on any platform
cmon now
>>
>>671274
I understand that Mint may be better for a novice to Linux, but the purpose is to do 3D and consider the OS as a mere tool, I believe it's better to just put in the effort and learn to install and use CentOS. It's not much more complicated after all, and most software packages focus on RedHat/CentOS compatibility.
>>
File: 1548424932263.png (1.41 MB, 1920x1160)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
is there any process for "ripping out" a chunk of an object like it was an apple? more accurately an union since im trying to make these selected faces become a piece of the "top layer" of this sphere
>>
>>669765
Not sure if you figured anything out, but did you try adding them to the texture map?
If you either A: Didn't do the texture map and are relying on materials or B: Won't do a texture map for reasons just create a rectangle and conform it to wherever you want a decal, if you have multiple you can easily automap several rectangles and apply logos to them, just make sure they are transparent
>>
>>670902
You want that root on your rigs, it helps your animation better reflect animations in-engine. GDC Animation Secrets has a few good 3D rigging practices.
>>
>>671310
split
>>
>>671316
i want to split volume though, not just by face/edge like a bite of the apple, and the bitten piece both modeled
>>
File: 1533026725666.png (387 KB, 828x628)
387 KB
387 KB PNG
>>671318
in other words i wanna leave a hole shaped like this in the mesh
i already tried boolean which had a pretty shit result
>>
>>671322
Is it because the faces are too exact to the target object? Thus it can't decide which verts to slice into?
>>
How viable is 3D modeling (as a hobby, not a career) on a toaster? Are the spec requirements to sculpt an object in 3D super high if you're just making a model? I imagine rendering an animation in a half-decent quality would take some high specs, but I don't know what to expect for just a model to insert into a game. If some modeling software is less hardware intensive than others then I'd probably spring for that software over the others.
>>
>>671322
there is no volume, its a completely hollow ball, you'll have to model in that bite, extrude inward or something
>>
Does 3DS Max have an equivalent to Maya's transfer vertex attributes?
>>
File: win30paint_0.png (14 KB, 640x480)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>671325
From my limited experience, it depends on what you want to do and what you call half-decent quality, but in most cases toasters will do just fine.

Dont fall into the "you need top of the line stuff" meme, the most important part of a hobby is not getting prepared, but to just get fucking going. Act first think second, as retarded as it sounds.This applies to all hobbies unless it is a sport or require handling of dangerous tools. Then if you see you are enjoying your time and the tools are really giving you a hard time, upgrade.

I have made small animations with high poly characters in blender using my crappy laptop from work without serious issues. Good rigs have low poly proxies to get smooth viewport speed and my render frames were small to speed up my rendering. Now blender has eevee, a renderer which gives a FANTASTIC quality/speed rendering ratio. Honestly, even the rustier toasters out there will give you beautiful frames in record time.

About sculpting, I can't give you good feedback. I know trigs count can get preety high, but again you should try for yourself first and see how your pc manages the workload.
>>
>>671325
Modelling isn't too hard on your computer. Simple openGL shading is easy and polycount is no longer the performance hindrance that it used to be. Chances are that your computer wont start to chug until you get into texturing or subdivision count that are only supposed to be used during final rendering. Opening 30 or more 4k images in any program will chew through ram like butter. Rendering particle hair is also hell on your ram. Physics sims are slow regardless of your rig unless it has very specific hardware (physics sims have to be done single thread unless the hardware is designed to run multithreaded physics sims. Which would mean that it is niche hardware, and not a general purpose consumer product, for the most part).

My suggestion is to start with toonshading, and move towards photo realism when you get a decent computer. Toonshading looks fine with lower res textures and also takes miliseconds to render compared to PBR materials... Just stay away from anime styles. There is already an army of unemployed weebs flooding that marketplace. Ain't no one interested in your shitty anime vidya game. However, looking at old vidya games for inspiration isn't a bad idea. Blizard's older games literally led the industry for years so that probably a good place to start.

There is also the option of emissions shading which is just as fast as toonshading (actually its more so... A lot more so), but requires a fair bit more set up. Basically you tun shadows off completely (or rendering them separately) and turn off light bounces. and just manually colour everything. Then shade your models with emissions shaders. This style renders basically instant since you also essentially turn of ray tracing in cycles... But that said, maybe eevee would be a better option for this, though I've never tried it on that render engine. It ends up looking like an old 3D video game with all the shadow information panted on the model instead of shaded onto it. I actually like the style
>>
I just realized all my lamenting over that sfm model's automatic weights was moot, since I could have justs done empty weights and assigned vertex groups manually myself
I fucking hate my job, I want to go home immediately and try this
>>
>>671322
>>671310
if ure trying to remove a chunk it needs to be a substraction operation, a union will add geometry to it. you need to be more specific and fluent on what youre trying to ask here. with union there needs to be intersecting polys otherwise nothing will happen, if you want to add no intersecting geos you need to make it apart of the the object and then select all verts and weld them together.
>>
>>671325
Blender or Lightwave are certainly better than Autodesk's bloatware when it comes to hardware req. Also, animations are not rendered in one go, but in several takes and then assembled in PostFx apps like After Effects or Nuke
>>
>>669944
Hey man thanks for the answer. I will give it a try. Hopefully I will post my rig in the blender thread when Im done with it.
>>
>>671396
basically i want those little disks to pop out of the sphere, like caps, revealing a cavity underneath them
>>
idk if u can with blender but in 3ds max you can seperate objects within objects into elements. you just make the selection in the object and then detach it either as another element in the object or a new object altogether.
>>
>>671476
>>671474
>>
File: 1548212751665.png (1.17 MB, 1920x1160)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
my hypothesis of lengthening the cap proved fruitful
>>
>>669725
Is it possible to edit the mesh by carving straight into the UV map on Blender? I want to give a rim a metallic gold material, and the matte black inside on its own material, without having to rerig the whole thing.

I'm open to other suggestions on how to achieve the same thing. I don't know what questions I should be asking, to be honest.
>>
File: GRENADE BLEND.png (240 KB, 1920x1080)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
I'm doing the chamferzone tutorial for the grenade. What would be the best way to rotate and duplicate this grenade ? I tried using an array modifier with object offset but couldn't get it working
>>
>>671498
You can assign materials to selected faces while in edit mode. To get the rim you'll probably want to either edit the mesh or figure some way to play with normal or displacement maps.

>Is it possible to edit the mesh by carving straight into the UV map on Blender?
Not really, but... A different "simply" solution (well, one that doesn't include redoing the UVs) might be to vertex paint a black to white gradient on faces that would split the gold material from the black matte material. You can then pump that gradient through two nodes separately; a colour ramp, and a math node set to "greater then 0.5." Use the greater than node to mask the gold from the black matte, and use the colour ramp node to output a height map. Simply setting one end to the colour ramp node to 0.55 and the other to 0.5 will give you a sharp edged height map, but you can play with the node settings to get the edges you want.

The vertex paint info outputs from the input section's "object node," if I remember correct, but you have to select the name of the vertex paint attribute by click the text bar at the bottom of the node.
>>
>>671506
Array mod plus deform mod set to bend maybe? They have to be ordered correctly for the bend to take effect after the array though.
>>
>>671510
You might have to make the sides a flat plane though, and then add a second deform after the array-bend deforms to squash the tops and bottoms of the grenade.
>>
>>671507
I got away with extruding the outer edge a smidge and moving the UV down to match, and then reassigning the material, but I also have to do the same somehow for a loop in the middle of the mesh which seems a lot trickier - it has faces on either side I don't want touched, so when I wake up tomorrow, I'm probably just going to do the same, although I'll have to delete a loop of faces temporarily so I can budge the edge along.
>>
Is there anyway to make it so two different materials assigned to different parts of my mesh ease into each other in Blender?
I don't plan on UV unwrapping since I'm using procedural textures, so please keep that in mind when giving advice.
>>
Dumb question: How do I download a model from sketchfab?
>>
So, I'm trying to make a blender model that looks like it's made out of paper like origami, but paper has some sort of thickness to it so it looks too flat, what would be the best way to give my paper thickness and have it still animate well?
>>
are there other ways to make a door open or close than by giving it a bone ?

i'm using blender and unreal engine, i wanted to do so by using shape keys but they don't make the door rotate,
>>
>>671529
Without an unwrap, how would it know where and what to blend?
>>
>>671559
maybe the bevel modifier, i'm not sure how well it would animate tho
>>
>>671560
Put the origin on the pivot point, then rotate in engine.
>>
>>671563
oh, thanks, didn't think about that..
>>
File: Capture.png (697 KB, 1698x605)
697 KB
697 KB PNG
>>671529
>>
>>671575
Ah wait, I realize that's not exactly what you asked.

No, I can't see how you'd do that without UV unwrapping.
>>
>>671529
I don't think so, but you can mix shaders like >>671575
Has done.

>>671561
>UV space
>texture space
>object space
All of these can be used to mask procedural textures, but only UV space needs a UV to function correctly. Texture space is the 3d big brother of UV space. UV space uses a 2d UV were as texture space just uses the 3d mesh (unaltered by deformation mods like the armature mod).

>>671575
You should use the texture setting on the Vector mapping node if you are plugging the generated output of the texture coordinate's node into it. The texture setting is designed for texture space... I'd also manually set the dimensions of texture space to 1x1x1 to make the processes a little more intuitive. A model's texture space dimensions can be found in its mesh tab options. The automatic settings are equivalent to the models bounding box, but the texture mapping node always behaves as if they are 1x1x1... So an automatic texture space dimension of 1x1x0.5 will essentially have a 2x modifier to all Z axis positional transforms. This can make working in texture space a pain in the ass.
>>
>>671559
I'd just us a single plane. Adding a tiny edge with a normal map should be more then enough for paper. It wont be 100% photo real, but it'll look real enough from even a short distance...
>>
>>671559
Solidify modifier, don't apply it.
>>
In donut simulator, is it possible to manually edit normals? I know you can view them, but can you manipulate them via clicking and dragging?
>>
>>671647
Kind of in 2.8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QGfmPsEj44
tl;dw go to object settings > normals> check auto smooth then press R to rotate then N for normals.
In 2.7x you can install the blend4web addon which has a dedicated tool
https://www.blend4web.com/en/community/article/131/
>>
does anyone know how i can animate a ball shape moving through a hose/pipe/tube/ made using this method? or if there is a better, riggable option?
>>
>>671657
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfdy050JMQ
forgot video
>>
>>671650
That works quite nicely. The copy and paste button is a godsend, especially considering this computer lags out when I try to rotate them in real time.
>>
how would one limit location on a bone's normal?
>>
>>671666
>>
>>671668
what?
i need a bone to only move diagonal
>>
File: Clip.jpg (318 KB, 1136x838)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
I dont know what Im doing wrong.
Im using Zbrush 2018, I have this model and I want to Dynamesh it while keeping my polygroups.
I select 2048 resolution + Groups and when its finished it gives me this splitted mesh where the polygroups are.

How can I fix this? I tried disabling my polypainting. Any ideas?
>>
i have absolutely no fucking idea how to UV map and no tutorial i've watched helps
why the fuck can't i just have each face be the size and length it is on the model, the drag/rotate/scale/group them in the editor as i please
shit's fucking ridiculous
>>
File: mfw.png (1.05 MB, 1920x1080)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>mfw had to search for a dated packing software to unpack a .pak
>mfw the .pak unveils a bunch of .uassets
>mfw need to convert .uasset to shit i can use in blender
>mfw i can't directly import .uassets to UE4
>mfw i had to use another dated software to view .uassets and export them to .pskx
>mfw the python plugin was failing to import the .pskx to blender
>mfw debugging and editing python code
>mfw the dated software allows to export as .gltf so no python debugging
>mfw blender 2.79 doesn't have .gltf import option
>mfw blender 2.8 does

well that was a good 15 hours spent.
I'm glad I have the expertise and autism of a /g/ fag but now the real hard part begins. learning how to actually do modeling stuff.
that being said can someone explain how to get her eyes to show.
also how to change her hair color? do i use a mask?
I'm down to look all this up myself it's just i don't know what to look for to learn.
so yeah if i can get a list of things to learn i will be very happy.
>>
File: 1527661126483.png (985 KB, 1920x1160)
985 KB
985 KB PNG
before limit rotation constraint
>>
File: 1545658275380.png (977 KB, 1920x1160)
977 KB
977 KB PNG
>>671695
after.
why.
>>
>>671681
>why the fuck can't i just have each face be the size and length it is on the model
Light map unpack, average the islands, and repack. They wont connect nicely, but if you are painting onto the 3d model it wont matter. Proper UVs are only need if you want to paint or alter its textures in photoshop.
>>
>>671697
I'm not painting onto the model, I'm just trying to make some meme lowpoly shit with pixelart textures.
>>
>>671699
If you don't want to mark seams. Light map uv project just spits out squares (or tris/ngons depending on the face) for each of the model's faces. it doesn't connect them or size them perfectly. Its typically used when you are going to bake a texture (such as a light map), and don't need the texture maps to be human readable... For very simple models (models with poly counts in the one or two dozen range) they are still human readable for the most part. From there you could rework the UV's individual faces however you wanted.
>>
File: ss.jpg (10 KB, 76x300)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
fuck this 2.8 gay shit men, how do I turn on this menu on blender 2.8 guys?
>>
File: 1552034785459.png (262 KB, 624x998)
262 KB
262 KB PNG
>>671701
pull a new window out to your left and switch it to properties at its top left corner; the dropdown that looks like two sliders or pills. keep it on the screwdriver and wrench icon and you're golden
>>
>>671706
no i mean the deform> smooth vertex option
couldnt find it anywhere
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (90 KB, 879x726)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
absolutely noob here, can somebody please tell me why did my mesh broke up here?
Couldnt edge loop over that despite no tri-gon?
>>
>>671732
Edge loops are from one side of a polygon to the opposite side. Look at the one you are having troubles with. The side you want your edge loop to continue is right next to the one your edge loop is coming from (they are even sharing a vertex), meanwhile the opposite side goes like the yellow line shows.
>>
>>671737
Ah i see!
Thanks for the tip bro
>>
File: owg0zsfriil21.jpg (140 KB, 640x1037)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
The last time I did anything 3D wise was 3 years ago when I was taking courses for a 3D CAD degree in college which I didn't finish. I only used 3ds Max and Zbrush. I feel like a complete novice and I'm taking myself back to basics to re teach myself. Should I stick with my previous method of using 3ds Max for geometry and uv mapping then use Zbrush for sculpting or should I try other software? Is Maya similar to 3ds Max?
>>
Has anything like this been implemented into a mainstream rigging/animation tool yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOwwNvHA1w
>>
Can you do this in blender?
I know about cloth sim but this look bit more advanced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvxQWUw24Ro&t=413s
>>
>>671756
around 6 min 30, sorry dont know why the timestamp doesnt work
>>
>>671717

F3 and search for "smooth." Its the best I could find myself. 2.8 uses F3 as its defualt search keybind, but 2.79 had it as spacebar if you are using those keybinds instead.
>>
>>671756
Yes, but it is kind of a pain compared to marvelous designer... It works practically the same tho (the 3d sim part does at least. blender doesn't have that 2d design viewport, but you can just do the modelling in 3d).

There is an option in the sim sections to use faceless edges as sewing springs. I forget exactly how to set it up, but it ends up looking identical to marvelous when running the sim. I know for a fact that 2.79 has it, but have never looked in 2.8. Sorry for the vague answer, but at least you know now that it can be done.
>>
>>671750
Manual bastioni lab addon had a musculature skeleton that could be optionally added to the models. It would flex the generated models muscles realistically as they were being posed and help prevent unrealistic pinching. It wasn't 100% perfect, but it was very impressive none the less...

Daz models have a $$$ morph pack that does the same things as well (I think. I haven't bought it, but the sales page makes it look like the same thing).

I really, really doubt that an auto rigging tool would be able to pull off such an effect since it wouldn't know what part of the model is fat or muscle or clothing, or whatever. So I'd say your best bet is to just copy what one of the above have done with their models.
>>
File: wildpost.gif (623 KB, 415x253)
623 KB
623 KB GIF
>>671746
>3D CAD degree
>3ds Max and Zbrush
>>
>>671756
>Can you do ____ in blender?
The answer is always "yes, but you probably shouldn't".
>>
>>669765
Make two uv’s, one with all the different materials tiled as it should look in the final product, and the second all of the model on one uv, then bake the materials to a texture using the new uv, and you will have a perfect texture. Good luck!
>>
>>671781
>>669765
Also another thing, try using krita instead of gimp for a while. Just to see how it works for you, I use it and it rivals even photoshop.
>>
>>671776
And when the answer is actually "no", the proper answer is "why would you want to do that?"
>>
>>671746
No you're good with Max or Maya + Zbrush
Great toolkit
>>
>>671776
And when the answer is actually "no", the proper answer is "use a real 3d program like maya" because it's true
>>
File: 1529967482389.png (1.14 MB, 1920x1160)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
so after following this tutorial
i successfully rigged up a convincing tentacle but now i need to know how to fix this deformity when putting the two empties close to eachother. maybe if i shapekey it to be thinner the closer the empty is?
not sure how i'd do that tho
>>
>>671825 post your model I'll convert it.
>>
File: 1541852515852.png (1.22 MB, 1920x1160)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
>>671832
also how do i make sure it doesnt clip like this?
>>
>>671775
Problem with that Rupert? Are you one of those insecure Blender users who has to shit on everyone else and their enjoyment of things because you have nothing else to do while it renders for 2 weeks?
>>
>>671846
Notice how the video never shows the empties so close together. It can be a limitation of the rig. Curve modifiers have weird behaviors when two of the curve points are really close.
Check out the handles of the curves, play with the size of them, that might change things up a bit. Also try adding more fixed points to the curve, they will not move but might shape the deformation better, play around with the radius of the curve points too.
Also see how the model in the tutorial have big metal walls near the points where the tentacles are connected? That hides artifacts in the motion of the tentacle. If you can, add them to your model.
Lastly, maybe something is not setup properly in your tentacle segments or the array.
>>
how do i do vertical UV mapping for hair guy?
>>
File: Medusa.png (346 KB, 1361x737)
346 KB
346 KB PNG
i ripped a model of Medusa from Kid Icarus: Uprising, but its also a model straight from the 3DS version of Smash

im currently trying to retexture it so i can use it for nifty mods and other useful stuff, but i'm having a problem.
i tried to toggle UV map on Medusa's face model so i can add the textures on it.
nothing is appearing, no textures is popping out, i don't see the orange highlights to indicate that im UV mapping.

i also lack the experience on doing a model so i was learning on the way as i'm doing this but everything went to a halt as i tried to do UV mapping on this model.

any pointers on what the problem is?
>>
>>671957
Im not sure if I understood your problem, but are you selecting the faces? None of them are marked orange on the model itself. Tap A to select all vertex. Also it seems all edges have the red outline, whih I assume it means they are seams used for UV mapping. I would remove all duplicated vertex, all the seams, add them properly for the UVs and start the unwrapping from there.
>>
File: file.png (394 KB, 1349x560)
394 KB
394 KB PNG
>>671963
>Im not sure if I understood your problem, but are you selecting the faces?
i did, its also highlighted on the top right menu
>None of them are marked orange on the model itself.
that's my current problem. i tried to UV map and nothing was selected in orange.
>Tap A to select all vertex.
actually, i've just done it now. everything seems to be in selected in orange now
>Also it seems all edges have the red outline, which I assume it means they are seams used for UV mapping.
i have no idea what they are for. i assumed its for the textures and uv mapping
>I would remove all duplicated vertex, all the seams, add them properly for the UVs and start the unwrapping from there.
how do i start removing them?
>>
>>671972
Just opening a mesh in edit mode wont select the vertex for you, you have to do it manually most of the time.
>what are seams? How do I remove duplicated vertex?
Dude no offense but those are basics when it comes to UV wrapping and handling models extracted from game files. Follow a tutorial on UV unwrapping and maybe modelling before trying it for yourself the first time. Seriously. It is not intuitive and you will be in a world of frustration without guidance.

Seams are how the program chooses where to cut a model for unwrapping. In blender they are marked as red. Thats why all the triangles were separated on the texture instead of connected together. Look for the remove seams tool after selecting all edges.

Sometimes models are extracted separated into pieces instead of glued together. That means vertex are sharing the same space but they are connected to different polygons. The "Remove duplicated vertex" tool unifies vertex that are on top of one another.
>>
How do I get the teeth on my model to flow into the skull topology like pic related?
>>
>>671974
well i might as well give up on it for now then
hitted a dead end realizing im not really prepared for something this complexual
really wanna do a mod of Medusa in Brawl
>>
File: 1494988651264.jpg (27 KB, 1024x576)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Is there any way to get a wood look to a material without using a picture/texture file in blender?
Like I just want to use the materials not upload any texture files
>>
>>671979
good 3D packages have powerful procedural textures, but since we speak about blender...
>>
>>671987
I LOVE procedurals. They already have a very painterly quality to them, so I use them a lot as bases when I draw non-PBR textures.
>>
File: croc teeth.png (718 KB, 1132x793)
718 KB
718 KB PNG
>>671977
This is for blender, but I'm sure other programs have the same functionality. First, select the edges of the polys that will become the tooth and use the "to sphere" tool to make them a circle. Once thats done, choose all the faces inside the circle and inset them 4 to 5 times, going slightly down each time while the final one goes all the way to the bottom where the tooth will come out. Then it is just a matter of extruding and shaping the thing.

I miscalculated the deepth of the hole a lot while doing pic related, you will have to go quite deep and resize the initial hole to achieve the look of your image.

>>671978
If you want to do your mod, go for it. But take it as a long project and learn all the tools you need with time and patience. Don't get discouraged just because it's complex. Once you are done, you will end up proud of what you had achieved.
>>
>>671992
Or just model the teeth separately and join them into the skull's mesh
>>
>>671977
simple extrudes dude...
>>
>>671915
hey! shrinking the handles worked! thanks chief
>>
>>671915
>>672009
im also thinking about putting the mesh on a bendy bone, parenting the empties to the control bones, and see what that would get me
>>
why the fuck does my 4mb .blend file take 5 minutes to open
>>
>>672021
Do you have a massive particle system in there or something?
>>
>>671999
That would be the way I would do it too, but anon asked
>get the teeth on my model to flow into the skull topology
There must be some cases where a seamless mesh is more useful than separated ones..
>>
File: 1532191192827.png (902 KB, 1920x1160)
902 KB
902 KB PNG
>>672013
so that wont work
also i thing i made the curves too small now as im not quite able to rotate them as well as before
>>
>>672024
any way to make empties scale on an object's rotation?
and also have that empty follow that object when posing its parented bone?
>>
>>672022
nah, simple extrusions and live boolean model, 402k tris and only 4mb seems small imo, 2mil or 400mb is usually when modo/zbrush lag
>>
apply solidify first or sub division first?
>>
>>672033
Apply them in the order they're currently in if it looks good.
>>
>>672033
subdivision adds new geometry so i'd say sub first
>>
File: transform.png (137 KB, 1169x659)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>672025
Object constraints. Transform for the first, copy location for the second.
>>
Hey, guys. Where can i set vertex world coordinates in blender 2.8? In properties window i can set only object coordinates. When i transform it always sets relative coordinates. But where are world ones?
>>
>>672021
Submit a bug report to the devs. That shouldn't happen for such a small file. I guess the exception would be a file full of references to hundreds of other files.
>>
>>672059
In blender 2.79, inside the n-panel, there are a couple buttons on the bottom of the coordinates to switch between global and local coordinates while in edit mode. 2.8 should be the same, but I cannot test that right now.
>>
How do you make glittering dress like this?
Iam done with the base form but dont know what to do next
>>
Why don't we see more impostors everywhere? Look at this shit it's LIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ILW1cwuTc
>>
>>672090
maybe make a white glossy metallic material and put it on an alpha texture of dirt specks so you only get shiny dots of glossy white? Its basically just a dirt shader but sparkling instead of dirt.
>or you could go in houdini and make every sequin a particle and project ray onto your cloth and use ice effects that match your snow particle sim on the dress and the ice.
>>
File: 2019-03-15_21-21-01.png (87 KB, 1119x742)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
What is this and how can I make the sofa to be just a normal object in the center?
>>
File: money shovel.gif (542 KB, 500x378)
542 KB
542 KB GIF
Whats the best way for 3d indie filmmakers to get into motion capture animation? Kinect? Hot gluing ping pong balls on a bodysuit? I'm open to anything but its the 3d faces more than body movement I'm trying to capture. Iclone looks real bad. Is there a nicer thing that just uses a regular camera video (or a nice DSLR) to capture face animation?
>>
File: 1.jpg (348 KB, 1657x877)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
What is the ideal way of dealing with booleon cuts with many sides?
This is the solution I have come up with but is there somehting neater? Its on a flat surface so I guess it doesnt matter too much.
>>
>>672109
A to select all
Ctrl+J to join objects
Shift+S->Cursor to selected
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C->Origin to cursor
Shift+C to return cursor to origo
Shift+S->Selection to cursor

Also, it looks like you've got some parenting or rig there somewhere (the dotted lines indicate relationships), so you might wnat to delete that.
>>
>>672109
>>672120
Wait, you probably have to set origin to center of geometry first (after joining)
>>
why won't my model perform the same animation as its armature?
>>
>>672127
Because it's not attached to it?
Also, you have relationship lines flying out in all directions. Get your shit sorted out.
>>
>>672118
>What is the ideal way of dealing with booleon cuts with many sides?
not using many sides in the first place
>>
>>672129
I figured it out. Freeing the cloth simulation bakes did the trick.
>>
File: 1532537376172.gif (2.97 MB, 600x478)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB GIF
so i've been combining these two tutorials together
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/96351/bulging-garden-hose-animation
and the results are pretty good save for the fact that the animated object is pulling the whole arrayed curve deform with it like so
what could i do to fix that?
>>
File: ss.png (217 KB, 1920x1056)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
Just started modelling with blender today but I'm not sure why the bevel along this edge is indenting. It doesn't happen on the other side of the model. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
>>
Are there any good resources on how to sculpt human base?
>>
>>672203
you clearly have a vertex there
>>
>>672203
select everything and remove doubles.
>>
File: 1538974610672.gif (1.29 MB, 600x584)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB GIF
>>672139
still bizarre that the sphere is dragging everything with it
>>
>>672273
Can you show me your modifiers stack please?
>>
File: 1544449315303.png (44 KB, 332x936)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>672287
>>
>>672273
Do I want to know what this effect is going to be used for?... Yes. Yes, I do.
>>
File: 1551981769813.png (2 KB, 151x44)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>672295
unless you frequent one of the tan boards, the less you know, the better.
>>
File: wewtothelad.jpg (51 KB, 359x305)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>672273
noic
>>
>>672300
it would be if it behaved exactly as i wanted
>>
>>672301
then compensate for it
>>
>>672302
i would if i could but im just not sure how to make the object causing the bulge to stop dragging the mesh with it.
you see its a cast modifier deforming an array mesh that is being defined by a curve
>>
>>672219
every tutorial I've seen can basically be summarized as 'learn anatomy and then mash polygons around until it looks good'.
Just go for it and practice a lot and use reference.
>>
>>672288
>>672303
Have you tried simply removing one axis from the cast modifier? I don't know if this will work for an animated curve but it worked when I tested it.
>>
File: cyborg_01.png (1.39 MB, 3000x3000)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
I have this doodle in the Blender 2.8 grease pencil. I filled in her silhouette with a fill as white as nazi blood. Why is she grey.

blend >>>volafile /r/v7kgy76r
>>
File: radius.png (75 KB, 1093x397)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>672288
Anon, try a bit for yourself before asking others for help. Success in 3DCG comes mostly from experimenting, fiddling with every variable that you come across and doing basic google searchs. Do all of the above and not only you will solve your problems but you will also learn how to solve new problems in a fraction of time.

Now go, finish your degenerate project and post your progress in the WIP thread.
>>
New thread:
>>672337
>>672337
>>672337

To anyone still lurking, hit me with some confused reaction images. Need some fresh material for the /questions/ OP image.
>>
File: 1498460491949.jpg (51 KB, 720x400)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>672340
>>
File: 1530427991192.gif (375 KB, 480x480)
375 KB
375 KB GIF
>>672340
>>
>>672273
>milk going into a death star without material applied.
Just wait until Hiroshima's ad buyers see this.
>>
File: sorry for what.png (451 KB, 616x439)
451 KB
451 KB PNG
>>672340

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.