[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next 72 hours. Click here to submit your application.

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

File: 42352135235235.png (1.84 MB, 2632x1591)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB PNG
So whats the general opinion on 2.8?
>>
Butchered the UI instead of focusing on real problems, like how internal images and materials are handled.
>>
>>667091
hard to butcher something that was already shit
imo they only made it better, and i don't get the whining about the black and white color choice for the icons
however yeah it's high time they do something about those data blocks or what they're called, they're a nightmare to work with, wish we could manipulate them in a node editor or something
>>
i don't use that junky shit.
2.79 is rock solid baby
>>
>>667095
I was forced to use 2.80 because it has some useful things, like an improved ao node and a bevel shader node.

>>667094
> i don't get the whining about the black and white color choice
Buttons are hard to distinguish now and don't hold any symbolic information. Before you would go "ah I get it, the material button is some sort of shaded ball thing". Now you have to learn by heart that some black and white circle stands for material, but there is no information about the function embedded in these icons.
>>
>>667096
i know meaning is conveyed through color, it's just that i'm not that affected by it, maybe it's just that i didn't start using blender pre 2.8 so i wasn't used to the UI and don't realize the functionality lost, although i kind of get you as when i think about it the first 4 object tabs seem kind of interchangeable to me, it's just that i've memorized them by now
>>
>>667091
>butcher the UI
The ui is so much better it is not even funny. It singleh handedly made me come back to 3d modelling after a long hiatus. This update is one of the biggest and most important update blender has ever had just because they made such massive improvements to the UI. Also they finally kicked the 3d cursor to a menu and implemented left click select.

>b-but muh history and experimented users!
Fuck that, blender is more intuitive now. It still is a convoluted mess, but being easier to use will make new people not close the application seconds after opening it.
>>
I'm fine with it, but I miss the old toolbar, now everything is all over the place for no reason.
>>
>>667101
I had the same feeling at first, but I think thats because we were used to how it was before, not necessarily that the organization is bad. It takes time to get used to the new.
>>
>>667089
nifty for a free software
future king of 3d
>>
>>667100

This. 2.80 actually feels like a real 3D editor now and not a total clusterfuck of "we do everything opposite to literally every other program because WE DIFFERNT K". For once I could actually use it without having to in-search or go to google every minute to figure out their special ass-backwards way of doing things that goes against all sensible design.
>>
>>667089
S'alright
Can't complain much. I think the collections and handling of the composition layers are fucking retarded, but at the same time I like how collections function. Some of the new tools on the left and reworks of old ones are nice. And don't get me started on being able to click and drag to box select finally. The new quick menu for positioning the 3d cursor when you press ctrl-S is great too.

Really though, I mainly switched over for Eevee, and it's changed up my pipeline in a big way. I can get things done and sent to clients so much quicker which means less down time rendering and more time earning that $$. Plus I actually have free time to use the computer since that time isn't spent rendering. It's also super nice to show clients, in motion, what it is they're getting so they can give feedback without having to re-render it all a day before deadline.
>>
File: 1514243486437.jpg (63 KB, 640x853)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Not a fan of the user interface spoonfeeding of absolute retards but overall the update brought many changes for the better which I really appreciate.
I just hope they won't lower the bar again soon because there are programs that actually lost functionality just to cater to drooling idiots.
>>
generally faster and it took me awhile to get used to the icons/hotkey changes but overall I would say its a really big improvement

i can't tell if they got rid of OPENGL render it looks like they did which makes me sad
>>
>>667155
>To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to appreciate Blender...
>>
File: 1538010542475.jpg (163 KB, 700x683)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>667168
That meme is absolutely not true in this case, it's just that up until this update you couldn't get away with being a retard
>>
>>667193
>until this update you couldn't get away with being a retard
I don't think so. Just look at the amount of retarded work that is out there, done in Blender.
>>
>>667155

It's not spoonfeeding, it's coming up with a proper ui just like every single other dcc tool out there. You blendlets complain because nobody use blender, when blender devs decide to fix one of blender's main issue that drives people away from you complain because it makes you feel less unique and intelligent.
>>
>>667197
I know of no place where one begins the journey to acquiring virtue other than the bottom.
>>
Changing * to @ in scripts was pointless breakage.
>>
removed the game engine for some reason
>>
>>667089
I need another donut tutorial to learn the new UI =(
>>
They fucked the hotkeys. Like badly. Like one hotkey has multiple actions depending on the situation bad. Like one action has multiple hotkeys depending on the situation bad.

Too bad the noob brainlets that are impressed with the new UI (which is about 90% the same) will never know how good it was before they fucked it all up.
>>
>>667229
because everyone uses Unity or Unreal ?
>>
>>667246
Because it was shitty, nobody used it and it was kinda taped to the core and they wanted to get rid of all these legacy dependencies.
>>
>>667089
I'll hold off until it finishes Beta, whenever that'll be.
>>
>>667242
>Like one hotkey has multiple actions depending on the situation bad
That's how it is with more advanced software. It's good that they adopt a good and tested way of dealing with complexity. Adapt to it, or come to terms with your brainlet genetics and stay with 2.79.
>>
>>667270
>"I need a video editor and blender has one! Lets try it out"
>a twisted and difficult to understand mess where the most basic tools, like the freaking text tool, are broken
>guides literally say "for preety text, go and make a 3d render of text and use that LOL"
>pirate vegas immediately after
I appreciate their ambition to create an über tool, but they should focus on what they are strong right now first, ie 3d stuff.
>>
>>667166
OpenGL is out but AMD is funding development and implementation of OpenCL
>>
>>667089
I actually like it a lot better now, my only complaint so far is that texture painting sometimes won't let me paint on the model itself on certain sides.
>>
>>667274
if you only use blender for donuts and anime waifu's then you have no right complaining about the tools.
most of you can't even sit through a single tutorial so shut the fuck up
>>
>>667283
lolwut? In which way is your post pertinent to the one you replied to?
>>
>>667274
I always figured it was because they get grants, and certain ones are like
"Yo we need a video editor built in",
so they just do their best to cram one in whether it's good or not. It's the same reason why some things have a good level of polish, but shit like NURBs hasn't been updated since 2004, because no one has paid them to do anything with it and they don't feel like doing it themselves.
At least we got Eevee and Cycles out of it, and Eevee is shaping up pretty nicely. Just wish some of the nodes like Bevel were supported in it, or adaptive subdiv. Last time I checked they weren't.
>>
>>667216
= to : is way more pointless.
>>
The ability to organize shit into folders ("collections") was way overdue.

>>667274
Even if it's a little half-assed, I think it's important to have video editor functionality in Blender for the sake of VFX moreso than for cutting together AMVs.
>>
>>667089
It crashes a whole lot. The animation interface is still hot garbage. Rigging is still as frustrating as ever.
Collections are nice, but as they are you have to manage two different styles of organizing shit if you ever want to export your scene anywhere without it being a mess. That is, you have to organize your collections, then turn off collections and organize things into empty objects, then turn collections back on, and repeat whenever you add a new object. It gets old fast.
>>
>guys we're getting rid of the game mode
>oh shit our physics solver is tied directly to the game mode
>perhaps we should unfuck this huge mistake and make it better
>NOPE HERE'S A NEW "INTERACTIVE MODE" TOTALLY NOT GAME MODE
>also udim support is cancelled :^)
thanks ton
>>
As a long time blender user, I'm really not happy about being forced to learn a completely new UI almost from scratch.

If I hated Blender's UI that much, I wouldn't have been using Blender in the first place. It is not *that* hard to get my hands on Maya.
>>
>>667373
Wait, they threw out Blender's awful UI?

Maybe I can use it now
>>
>>667373
Puhhhlease, it's hardly a new UI. There's nothing to learn. It'll take 5-10 mins to get used to max.
It's just a new coat of paint, and some switched around hotkeys that are easy enough to fix.
For all their bragging about a new UI, the only thing that's actually new is the viewport renderer, which is actually really nice. Material/textured view just works now the way you'd think it would.
The sidebar is "new" but it's all the same shit that was in the thing in the first place. They've just added the ability to use them via left click, instead of moving the 3d cursor with it. Though you can still do that if you wanted.
>>
UI is now fucking GOAT

I'm switching from Max this weekend if it sticks, going to try it out

games artist btw
>>
>>667393
How do you switch between edge/vert/face selection?
>>
>>667394
>switching from Max
Lmao, don't forget to report back.
>>
File: asda.png (1.04 MB, 1920x1080)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>667421
>>
>>667421
>>
Getting used to left click select and new shortcuts was a bit tedious but I've got it down now. I really love the new viewport, I thought it would just be some useless eyecandy but it's actually super useful.

>>667372
>>also udim support is cancelled :^)
Source? Also feel free to hire someone to implement it for you, it's free software after all :^)
>>
>>667446
>Also feel free to hire someone to implement it for you, it's free software after all
It's less expensive to just license any of the available professional suites on the market.
>>
>>667394
>I'm giving up my whole carreer because of some fancy UI

Sure we believe you blendie.
>>
>>667421
1 for vert
2 for edge
3 for face
It's super fast. But there's always the buttons on the bottom too. I guess the top now, but I've moved them to the bottom.
>>
2.8 is awesome. as soon as the final release is here, i used for my works to replace 2.79.

blender is very cool for creative artist.
>>
>>667317
Blender will whine, but you can still use =.
>>
>>667089
It crashes all the time and I can't put up with it. It is very tiring to work with.

Going to wait for a solid release.
>>
>want to use 2.8
>all the guides are for 2.79
>Too dumb to figure out the difference when they point to shit on the screen.
>>
>>667276
i get this aswell..hope they fix it
>>
File: s-l640.jpg (28 KB, 640x438)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>667089

as far i can say i fucking love it. it would be nice if they updated animation and particle systems. but i think that will come as next.
>>
I worked with it. Kinda okay, but actually rather stick to 2.79 but you know that's just silly.
>>
>>667473
no shit, max UI is a hell straight from 90's
>>
I think there's problems with the style of the new UI, like font rendering. The previous UI was very definite and clean.
>>
>>667895
What's wrong with the font rendering? It actually got improved. Now you can use hinting and make the fonts look much nicer instead of a blurry mess.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.