[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: received_184116209147325.png (1.78 MB, 1920x1080)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
Hey /3.
First time posting here, sorry if I fuck up some rule.
So i just finished my degree in videogame design, yes i know, it's a stupid worthless degree, some of my friends even got an answer from emploiers saying "you should sue your university for selling such degree".
I specialized in 3D modelling and have some models and projects under my belt.
My question is, how hard is it to find a job in the CG market ? (Not specifically video game relates but all CG in general). I want to find a job but I am afraid that I do not have enough experience and the fact that my degree is useless does not help at all.
I live in Portugal and I dont mind at all to move out, but I still prefer to remain in Europe, what's your advice for a fresh licensed person to get a job in the industry ? So far most people tell me to make a big ass portofolio but that would take alot, provably 6 months to 1 year before finding something.
Pic is just one of my models I did for fun.
>>
>>653372
>degree in videogame design,
probably worthless as the studios only hire experienced people with at least 3 years in the business
maybe you have a chance via internship (slave) and coffee maker
>>
Bumping with a WIP im working on for a new project.
Wish I could add more than one at time
>>
File: received_291784321660947.png (1.94 MB, 1920x1080)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB PNG
>>653373
Yes, I literally said I know it's worthless
>>
>>653372
>I live in Portugal
is there even a gaming industry in Portugal?
>>
File: received_2414106565483023.png (232 KB, 1920x1080)
232 KB
232 KB PNG
>>653377
Very very small one, I don't plan / want to live here thou, I am aiming to leave the country first chance I get.
Ever since I came back from Erasmus I feel even worse about living here.
>>
What kind of degree specifically? Is it game design or game art? Or game programming? Or a mix of everything?
>>
>>653384
A mix of everything anon.
I can do anything from 2D, 3D, game design, anything multimedia related like photography and video or graphic design.
We also program but I do not like it.
I specialized in 3D at home and that's my main passion.
>>
>>653386
Forgot to mention but we also do script writing and character development which I enjoy a lot too.
>>
Sell your soul and do a UX masters or bootcamp.
At least you'll get a job.
AR and VR are becoming huge for tech consultancies/agencies and your shitty game design degree will actually be a very useful niche skill there.
>>
>>653394
I would but can't.
If I don't find a job within the next few months I will be living on the street.
All of my savings are gone, spent on the last years to finish the degree.
My mom is helping me but she alone can't do much, we don't have any money beyond what's necessary to survive and have some internet.
Its gonna be a sad Christmas lol.
>>
>>653399
Depressive shit aside.
I think I should just apply to everything I can out there.
Any tips on what I should do more ? Assets or environment? Characters is cool but I know its the hardest sector to find a job in
>>
>>653399
What software do you use?
>>
>>653399
>years
>for THIS

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

this is literally a 2-weeks worth of learning sculpt
>>
Anon your work isn't employable in the arena where high poly sculpts are made. I would shift gears and work on stuff targeting mobile games immediately. Texture and rigs as well. You need to offer as much as you can to get hired and be willi g to do more than just the stuff you enjoy.
>>
>>653411
That was actually my first sculpt ever back in 2016 but ok
>>
>>653408
Zbrush, Maya, blender, substance painter, marmoset and learning marvelous designer

>>653414
These are some stuff I did a while ago to train, my most recent projects are on my computer and I'm not in it until tomorrow.
Regardless, I know I still have a lot to learn
>>
>>653424
why even post it then with no context, kid? Are you retarded?
>>
File: feb2017.png (1.83 MB, 2416x1232)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
>>653399
ha it's like you're symbol drawing in 3d.
>>653426
with stuff like this it's gonna take you a couple years more to get something acceptable. one thing i know now is that's really important learning a pipeline. focus on producing a game res character maybe. learn about topology, uv's, baking, texturing and all that stuff, and put that in your portfolio, don't just put high res models done on zbrush cause i doubt that'll get you a job.
for reference pic related is when i first got into 3d, back in early 2017, and it's so terrible but i keep it as a reminder of where i'm coming from, you could do the same it really helps keeping you on track.
>>
>>653399
hopw roewur ne
>>
>J-J-UST WAIT FOR MY (((REAL))) RENDERS TO SHOW UP
>ITS CURRENT YEAR AND DONT HAVE ANYTHING (((REAL))) SAVED EXCEPT SOMETHING FROM 2001 FROM MY FIRST WEEK

heard it a million times, kid. Take it someplace else
>>
>>653372
Dont listen to the haters, OP. You have some good looking characters and Im sure you are full of ideas fresh out the uni. Try at Upwork, Remoters, or dig the internet for some more work - freelance or full time. Include in your CV that you are willing to relocate. Get all of your finished assets and open accounts in CGTrader and/or Turbosquid and try to sell them there - the income might not be big but it will be some motivation for you on this stage and enough to pay for your internet. Google is your friend, just keep digging and applying everywhere you see you fit and sooner or later you will find your place on the market.
>>
>>653485
This. I can't say anything else than to approve of this advice and wish you good luck, OP. Keep at it. You'll do it.
>>
>>653512
He won't make it. He'll end up on the street
>>
>>653513
The eugenics center of your town is open 24/7. Why don't you take this fine opportunity, go there, and remove yourself from the gene pool?
>>
MEMENTO MORI
>>
>>653424
>>653429
Because he's bumping the thread with content instead of nothing, toxic moron. You're adding nothing to the conversation.
>>
>>653534
no, im telling op that he wont make it, just like the guy who's 4'5" wont make it in the NBA
>>
So you got a degree on game design? Im interested on it? Where do you take it? Is a public or private school? Im in México but don't know where to look at.
>>
File: GTEternium-thumb.jpg (35 KB, 400x400)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>653551
Don't do it anon
Not OP but I also got a jack-of-all-trades vidya production Degree
It is a Gender studies tier degree in terms of usefulness
Graduated at the start of the year, and while i have managed to get a few interviews, no job yet.
Decided to focus on 3D since graduating, and while my art has improved, the fabled CG job is still a fleeting dream.
Pic related is a recent model of mine
>>
>>653556
I am curious why this can't land you a job.
Looks ok to me.
>>
>>653589
it's literally just ao + flat color
>>
>>653485
>>653512

Thanks for the reply anons, i almost gave up on the thread seeing as most people are haters. I will follow your advice !

>>653534
This, i was just posting some stuff i had with me at the moment.

>>653551
Its in a public university in portugal but im sure there is at least one in every country, my degree in specific was very hard, lots of different stuff to do, i had to stop playing vidya by 99% and focus on all my projects, most people quit or stay there for years and years depressing their life out. However, even thou the degree in itself is useless to land a job, it gave me alot of knowledge in many different areas, the degree wont give you a job out of the uni but opened many doors in many areas, some of my friends who focused on programming got a job immediatly, others are game designing in small companies and others did get a job in the CG market, some opened their own photography company for weedings and baptisms and all. Our best student is currently recieving 5k a month in california, you just need to take what's given and improve by yourself.

>>653556
Looks nice to me, i supose you either dont have a big enough portfolio, didnt apply to the "right" company yet or just plain unlucky.

I know i am able to get a job i just need to know which area to focus and how to approach it, i never had a job before so im a big noob in this department.

Pic is a small project I did when learning textures, a tribal mask with my ugly mug, sorry the quality isnt the best, cellphone is all i have these days while i am out of town.
>>
>>653589
I still have a lot to learn anon
And living in a 3rd world country doesn't help much
like >>653622 said, this is only flat + AO I still need to step up my texturing and sculpting skills

>>653623
>dont have a big enough portfolio
yes
>I know i am able to get a job i just need to know which area to focus and how to approach it, i never had a job before so im a big noob in this department.

ehhh, given what you have shown i still think you need to increase your skills and if you want to go with characters(since most of the things you have posted are characters) you have a lot (anatomy) to learn
>>
>>653910
Yeah, i know i have lots to learn for the next decades or so haha.
I post characters but i am also into assets and environment, i know environments are more likely to land me a job than characters, at the moment characters are really for those at the top of the line
>>
Your 3d models seem good enough. When it comes to your portfolio try to specialize in one thing if you're looking to apply in a big company
>>
>>653372
Jesus christ this is the results of a degree?
Waste of money confirmed.
>>
>>653386
>I can do anything from 2D, 3D

If that's you're work that you're posting, no you can't.

Sorry buddy, but your best bet is to go get a generic data entry job because you went to a shit college and they didn't teach you jack.

Nobody is gonna hire you for 3D work if that's the best you have to show for it.
>>
>>654429
Agreed.

It's literally '1 week of youtube tutorials' level shit.

Honestly a college handing out degrees for this shit ought to be sued for racketeering.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.